We Are by Luna_Lover
Summary: We are teenagers finding ourselves in a steadily darkening world. We are children and adults, confident and conflicted. We are different and we are the same. We are brave, ambitious, loyal and clever, arrogant, selfish, foolish and haughty. We are lovers and fighters and friends. We are Hogwarts, class of 1978.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 10251 Read: 6952 Published: 04/16/09 Updated: 11/13/09

1. Where We Began by Luna_Lover

2. Where We Belong by Luna_Lover

3. Settling In by Luna_Lover

Where We Began by Luna_Lover
Chapter 1: Where We Began

“See ya, Snivellus!”

Lily Evans slammed the compartment door behind Severus as he hurried out into the corridor of the Hogwarts Express. “Ugh,” she commented disdainfully. “Whatever house I’m in, I certainly hope those boys aren’t in it.”

Severus nodded in agreement as Lily led the way towards the opposite end of the train. As they approached a compartment door on their left, it opened and a round-faced, friendly-looking girl stepped out. A small black-and-white cat tried to sneak out behind her, but she turned and spotted him.

“Oh, no you don’t, James! Stay put.” She poked him gently with her foot.

Lily let out a gasp of delight. “Oh, what a beautiful kitty!”

The girl looked up. “Oh, hello! Yes, this is James. He’s not mine; he’s Annie’s. He is gorgeous, isn’t he?”

“Gorgeous and troublesome!” came a girl’s voice from inside the compartment. “Come here, James! Let Alice use the loo in peace.”

Another girl with brown pigtails came and scooped up the cat. “Hello,” she said to Lily and Severus. “Were you looking for the toilet? It’s down at the other end.”

“Um, no, actually,” said Lily. “We were looking for a place to sit. Is there room?”

“Sure,” said the girl. “Come on in.”

“I’ll be just a minute,” said Alice, stepping past them. Lily and Severus followed the other girl into the compartment where two more girls already sat.

“Girls, this is…” the pigtailed girl began, but trailed off when she realised they hadn’t introduced themselves. She looked at them questioningly as she finished setting James down, making sure that the compartment door was firmly shut.

“Oh, I’m Lily Evans,” said Lily.

“Severus Snape,” said Severus, looking highly uncomfortable in a compartment full of girls.

“Nice to meet you,” said a tall blond girl by the window. “I’m Emma Allen.”

“Mary MacDonald.” A pretty brunette next to Emma waved.

“I’m Annie Stewart and you’ve already met Alice Smalls,” said Annie. “And James, of course.” James was washing his paws on the floor in a corner, trying to look aloof. “You’re first-years too, right?”

“Yes,” Lily answered. She and Severus sat silently for a while. Alice came back and the four girls struck up a conversation about Hogwarts. Emma and Alice clearly knew more about the school than the other two and were relaying information collected from parents, siblings and the like. Lily listened eagerly. Severus alternated between fidgeting restlessly and staring at Lily, whose green eyes were alight in rapt attention.

“Does it make a difference that our parents aren’t magic?” asked Mary at one point. “Seems like Annie and I are at a disadvantage.”

“It doesn’t make a difference,” Lily put in, glad to have an answer. “Severus told me we’ll be just fine.”

“It shouldn’t make a difference,” Alice agreed with a glance at Severus, who was staring out the window, pretending not to listen. “You might get a bit of grief from some of the Slytherins, but just ignore them.”

“What’s the matter with Slytherins?” asked Lily, annoyed but curious.

“Slytherins get a bad reputation for not liking Muggleborns,” Emma explained.

Lily frowned. “I didn’t know that. Is that true, Severus?”

Severus glanced up. “No…well, some do, but…” he trailed off feebly and shrugged.

Lily frowned at him for a moment longer, before Annie interjected. “Well, whatever happens, we can deal, right?” There was a murmur of agreement from the other three.

“So you’re Muggleborn too then, Lily?” Emma asked. Lily nodded. “And you’re pureblood?” Emma inquired of Severus.

“Yea”No, I’m half,” Severus admitted reluctantly, as Lily turned to look at him.

“Me, too,” Emma said. She glanced around. “Hang on. Annie, where did James go?”

Annie swept her gaze around the compartment and groaned. “James, you pest! He must have got out when Alice came back. I had better go and look for him.”

“We’ll help,” said Mary. Lily nodded in agreement.

“Why don’t we split up and look in opposite directions?” Lily suggested. “And one person can stay here in case he comes back.”

“We could do that, Lily,” Severus spoke up.

“Sure, Sev! Why don’t you stay here and I’ll check down that way,” said Lily, pointing to the right.

“That’s not what I”” Severus began, but Lily wasn’t listening.

“I’ll go that way with you, Lily,” offered Annie. “We can take opposite sides.”

“Then Mary, Alice and I will go the other direction, since it’s longer,” Emma finished. “All right, everyone, let’s find that cat!” The girls left the compartment and scattered. Severus sighed and resumed his gloomy stare out at the cloudy sky.

~~~~~~

“So, do any of you know any good spells?” James Potter asked during a lull in the conversation. He glanced around the compartment at his newly found comrades.

Peter Pettigrew shook his head and looked to the other two expectantly. “Sadly, no harmless ones,” said Sirius Black wryly. “I know plenty of nasty curses, though.” James gave him an odd look. “Not that I’ve actually tried any of them,” said Sirius quickly. “But my dear mother insisted that I be able to ‘protect’ myself. The demonstrations were not pretty.”

“That’s got to be illegal,” said Matthew Donohue. Sirius shrugged.

“Well, I got nothing,” Matthew continued. “Sadly, the one time I was able to get my hands on a wand, I got caught before anything interesting happened. I think my parents were more interested in protecting me”and my siblings”from myself.”

James laughed. “I’ve got one. Learnt it from a cousin.” He glanced out the open door of their compartment and gave a cocky grin. “Watch this.” James muttered a spell under his breath and flicked his wand at a passing older girl. She stumbled as if someone had tripped her. The boys snickered and she scowled at them, embarrassed.

Just then James spotted a small black-and-white cat padding down the corridor. “Do cats trip?” asked Sirius, his grey eyes glinting with mischief.

“Let’s find out.” James grinned and flicked his wand again. The cat gave a startled meow as he fell, his nose hitting the carpet with a thump.

“Weird!” Peter exclaimed, laughing as the cat sat up and began washing his paws in an attempt to regain his dignity. “Look at it; for a cat, it’s so arrogant!”

“Let’s see if that cat likes Chocolate Frogs,” Sirius said, opening one. He set the frog down on the floor near the door. “Here, kitty.”

The cat caught sight of the frog hopping into the hall and pounced.

James and his friends laughed. “Give him another,” Matthew suggested.

Suddenly a red-headed girl scooped up the cat. “James!” she exclaimed.

“How do you know my name?” James frowned.

The girl turned. “Oh, it’s you,” she said with distaste, and James recognized her as the stuck-up first-year who had left his compartment some time before. “What have you been doing to this poor cat?” she demanded accusingly.

“Do you know how funny cats look when you trip them with a spell?” Matthew asked, grinning.

“When you what?” she demanded indignantly.

James smacked Matthew on the head and smirked. “We were just playing with him, princess; no need to get fussy.”

She scowled at him and turned her attention to the cat squirming in her arms. Her brow puckered in concern. “What have you got in your mouth, kitty?”

“Oh, yeah,” said Sirius, off-hand. “We gave him a Chocolate Frog to chase.”

She gasped. “Cats can’t eat chocolate, you half-wit! It’s poisonous to them!”

“Really? We didn’t know. He only ate one,” Matthew said, shrugging.

“Will he be all right?” Peter asked worriedly. Sirius and James tried to look unconcerned, but listened for the girl’s answer.

“He should be fine, no thanks to you,” she said, glaring.

Another girl came out of the compartment next to them. “No luck yet, Lily”oh, good, you’ve found him! We’ve been looking all over for you, James.”

James looked at her, confused again. “Do I know you?”

“No, and I’m terribly sorry about my cat””

“Don’t be,” Lily interrupted, green eyes flashing. “They were feeding him chocolate””

“We didn’t know,” Sirius argued.

“”after they tripped him with a spell,” Lily finished, glaring daggers at Sirius.

“A tripping spell?” The girl laughed, much to Lily’s annoyance. “Well, no harm done, I suppose. Think you’d teach me? I’m Annie Stewart, by the way.”

“James Potter, at your service,” said James, grinning cockily.

“James, really? That’s funny”oh, no you don’t!” Annie picked up the cat, which had jumped out of Lily’s arms and was headed for the door. “James, meet James,” Annie said, waving the cat’s paw at James.

James laughed. “And this is Peter Pettigrew, Matthew Donohue, and Sirius Black,” he continued, indicating each in turn. Peter waved, and Matthew grinned and nodded. Sirius stood and gave a sweeping bow.

Annie laughed and curtseyed back, dropping the cat.

“And it’s…Lily, right?” James continued. “Friend of Snivellus?” Annie’s eyebrows knitted in bewilderment and she looked at Lily curiously.

Lily narrowed her eyes and ignored Annie. “Lily Evans, yes,” she said coldly.

“Charmed,” said James, smirking.

Lily raised an eyebrow. “We had better go and find the others, Annie,” she said. “We need to change before we get there.”

“Oh, right,” said Annie. “James, stop wriggling or I’ll put you back in your basket. See you later,” she said to the boys.

“See you,” said James. Sirius, Peter and Matthew echoed him. “See you, princess,” James called to Lily. She made no reply as she flounced out of sight. Annie smiled once more and followed.

~~~~~~

Lily let out a huff as she strode down the corridor. “Well, that was interesting,” Annie commented lightly.

“Why don’t you take him back to the compartment,” Lily suggested, indicating to James. “And I’ll go find the other girls.”

“All right,” said Annie. Lily hurried ahead and Annie stopped at their compartment door. Shifting James to one arm, she barely managed to pry the door open and toss him inside. She slipped in quickly before he could escape again and slammed the door behind her. “You, sir, are more trouble than you’re worth.” She turned around and saw Lily’s black-haired friend glancing up at her.

“Oh, hi. Almost forgot about you. What’s your name again?”

The scrawny boy scowled. “Severus Snape,” he said shortly. “Where’s Lily?”

Annie paused at the name. “Oh, you’re Severus,” she said in realization, blue eyes sparkling with laughter. He narrowed his eyes suspiciously. “Lily went to find Mary, Alice and Emma.”

Severus turned to the window again without another word. Annie sat across from him and swung her legs. After a moment she grew bored and started pelting Severus with questions. He gave her reluctant, monosyllabic answers until she finally said, “What, are you shy or something?”

He glanced up sharply, glaring at her. “Maybe I simply have nothing to say to you.”

“James, you dolt, you’ve caused us a lot of trouble today!” Mary announced as she, Emma, Alice and Lily re-entered the compartment. “And we still have to change into our robes before we get there.”

“Oh, right!” said Lily. “Hey, Sev, think you’d mind leaving for a bit?”

Severus shrugged and left without a word. Annie narrowed her eyes as she watched him go.

~~~~~~

“Firs’ years! Firs’ years, over here!”

Lily hopped off the train and looked around for the source of the voice. Catching sight of a huge man holding a lamp and beckoning, she headed towards him. Her companions followed her. Lily could hear Annie’s cat yowling his protests at being stuck in his basket again.

The man, who introduced himself as Hagrid, led the way toward a wooden dock by which a number of small boats stood waiting. “Go on then, all of yeh. Four to a boat,” said Hagrid.

Lily climbed into the nearest boat and sat facing the shore. Mary, Emma and Severus climbed in after her. “We’ll take this one, then,” said Alice, grabbing hold of the boat to the left of Lily. She and Annie clambered in, nearly the last people left on the dock.

“Mind if I come, too?” asked a shabby-looking boy with sandy brown hair. Alice and Annie nodded and held tight to the sides of the boat as he joined them.

Once all the boats were loaded, Hagrid climbed into a boat by himself. His boat moved out in front of the rest, and Lily startled and clutched the side as the other boats began to move.

Mary and Emma hung on tight as well, eyes wide with amazement. “This whole magic thing is going to take some getting used to,” Lily commented. Emma gave an understanding smile.

“You’ll get used to it in no time,” she assured them. Lily nodded and stared up at the night sky. The cloud cover had cleared slightly and a few stars could be seen. Lily gazed up at them with a peaceful smile on her face.

On dropping her gaze again, Lily glanced at Severus and caught him staring at her with an odd look on his face. He looked… hungry, almost. Lily wondered a bit at this, but she was distracted when the boat ahead of her rocked alarmingly and raucous voices could be heard shouting and laughing. She craned her neck to see.

Suddenly the boat nearly flipped over as a small figure tumbled out. There was a loud splash, and Emma twisted around to look behind her. Hagrid’s lantern moved closer as he manoeuvred his boat back toward the floundering boy. With one giant hand Hagrid hauled the boy out of the water and set him back in the boat. “All righ’ there?” he asked, handing the boy his enormous fur coat.

The boy’s friends echoed the sentiment. “You okay, Pete?”

In the boat ahead of them, Annie laughed and Alice called out, “Is he all right?”

“I’m fine!” Pete shouted back cheerfully from inside Hagrid’s coat. Lily sighed and rolled her eyes.

“Should have known,” she muttered.

“Should have known what?” Emma asked curiously.

“Ran into those boys on the train a couple times,” said Lily disparagingly. “Troublemakers if I ever saw any.”

“Ah,” said Emma simply.

“They do make life interesting, those types,” said Mary mischievously.

“Interesting and irritating,” said Severus. Emma jumped. Lily didn’t blame her; it was the first time she had heard him speak since the train ride. Mary shrugged in response, and then gasped. Lily looked up and saw why.

The boats were propelling themselves through a curtain of willow branches, and around the bend a huge black castle was coming into view. Yellow light flickered in the windows, and the gibbous moon peeking out from behind a cloud cast the scene into an eerie half-light. Out of the corner of her eye, Lily noticed the shabby kid shift a bit as his boat drifted into a moonbeam.

The boats passed into a tunnel and came to a halt at what appeared to be an inlet of the lake underneath the castle. As she clambered out of the boat onto the dock, Lily took in her surroundings. The walls were of moss-covered stone, and ahead a stone staircase led up into the castle, she assumed. Hagrid finished checking the boats for people’s belongings and led the way to the foot of the staircase.

“Well, ‘ere we are,” he said, turning briefly to face the first-years. “Keep close now; we’ll reach the castle before you know it.”

Near the back of the crowd, Lily was unable to repress a small flutter of nervousness at what was to come, but she steadied herself, took a deep breath, and began the climb.
End Notes:
Hello, everyone! My name is LiLu. Thank you for reading my story! I'd like to say a very big thank you to my beta, Emma; she's been a huge help. Please drop me a review in that little box down there and tell me what you think. I'm eager to hear anything that can help me improve my work. Thank you and have a great day!
Where We Belong by Luna_Lover
Author's Notes:
Hello again, everyone! I got distracted for a while by the shiny challenges on the forums, but now it's summer, so I have more time. Thank you to Emma for beta-ing this, especially for her eternal patience with my cliche-chasm-walking.
“A thousand years ago, or more
Our founders four decided
To form a school, which then into
Four houses was divided.

The founders each a house did lead
And hand-pick every student
Whose character, these founders knew,
Would prove their choices prudent.

Brave Gryffindor chose those in whom
Courage was manifest.
Sweet Hufflepuff loved those whose
Discipline was nurtured best.

Wise Ravenclaw chose those whose
Wit and knowledge were abundant.
Shrewd Slytherin chose those in whom
Ambition did run rampant.

The task to sort they left to me
So now I sit before you
I’ll end my song and sort you now
With haste, lest I should bore you.”


“Allen, Emma,” said the stern-looking Professor McGonagall.

As the tall, blonde girl made her way up to the stool, Sirius Black was lost in thought. Of course I’ll be a Slytherin, he thought gloomily. It really was too bad. He didn’t think that any of his friends from the train would be in Slytherin. James would probably be in Gryffindor like he hoped, and Matthew and Peter….Well, he wasn’t sure about them, but they didn’t seem like Slytherins.

“Black, Sirius.”

Sirius glanced up and saw the tall girl give a satisfied smile as she settled herself at the Ravenclaw table. Professor McGonagall was looking at the first-years expectantly, her narrow spectacles perched on the end of her nose.

Sirius trudged to the stool and McGonagall set the hat on his head. A little voice muttered in his ear. “Well, well, where shall we put you, Mr. Black?”

Let me take a wild guess: Slytherin? thought Sirius with a scowl.

“Now wait just a minute,” said the hat slickly. “I wouldn’t be so sure if I were you. Slytherins usually possess more cunningness and ambition than your little mind. No, you belong in…” Sirius held his breath.

“…GRYFFINDOR!”

Sirius slid off the stool in a daze. He couldn’t believe his luck. Grinning, he gave the hat to the professor. He hurried down to the table at the far end of the Great Hall to thunderous applause.

Sirius caught the eye of his cousin Andromeda from across the hall. Andromeda was a seventh-year Slytherin. She gave him a shrewd, calculating look and turned back to the Sorting as “Brady, Joshua” joined her house.

~~~~~~


“Donohue, Matthew.”

As the burly, brown-haired boy sat down, Lily recognized him vaguely as one of the “troublemakers” from the train, but she was too nervous to care much. The Sorting Hat had sung its song a few minutes earlier about the different houses, and Lily wondered where she would be. Maybe Ravenclaw? That sounded like a nice house, and Lily had always been the smart girl in her class at school. Severus wanted her to be in Slytherin, she knew that. Of course Lily wanted to be with him, but something in her was reluctant to join that house…“You might get a bit of grief from some of the Slytherins.”…“Slytherins get a bad reputation for not liking Muggleborns.”

Lily jumped as she heard her name called. Matthew Donohue was taking his seat with the Hufflepuffs. He waved at his friend at the Gryffindor table with a shrug and a half-smile.

The hat slid all the way past Lily’s ears, blocking her vision. She barely had time to wonder why it was so large if it was meant to be worn by first-years before the hat shouted,

“GRYFFINDOR!”

Lily jumped again and nearly fell off the stool. She handed the hat to Professor McGonagall and walked quickly to the Gryffindor table as her new house cheered. Lily glanced back over her shoulder at Severus and saw him watching her with a pained expression. She smiled sadly and perched on the end of the bench where there was an open space. Lily looked around at the boy who had scooted down to make room for her and recognized him at once. With a scowl she crossed her arms and turned back to the Sorting.

~~~~~~


“Lupin, Remus.”

Remus Lupin shook his dirty-blonde hair out of his eyes as he sat down. He was a bit nervous about that hat. Would it know his secret? What if it didn’t think he belonged at Hogwarts at all? He slid the hat on his head and waited.

“Remus Lupin, the werewolf,” said a voice in his ear. Remus gulped. “Not to worry,” the hat continued kindly. “But you’ll need a lot of bravery, for you and for your friends. It’s a good thing you belong in GRYFFINDOR!”

Remus sighed in relief and sat down across from a pretty first-year with a glum expression. He gave her a slight smile and she smiled back half-heartedly. Both of them turned their attention back to the front as “MacDonald, Mary” was called.

~~~~~~


“Pettigrew, Peter.”

Peter Pettigrew had never been the sort of boy who thought more highly of himself than he ought. As he passed a small, dark girl on her way to the Gryffindor table, he hoped, naturally, to be placed with one of the boys he met on the train, but he knew he wasn’t unusually brave or loyal, or smart or cunning for that matter. He supposed the hat would have to be a bit random on this one. Peter was surprised, therefore, when the hat began to speak to him.

“Peter Pettigrew. You’ve a fair bit of courage here, boy; more than you know. You’re going to need it.”

Courage? I haven’t got any courage, Peter answered. He decided to ignore the third voice which insisted that it required a lot of courage, or else foolishness, to be sitting on a stool in front of so many people, and talking to a hat.

“Oh, yes you have,” replied the hat. “Now see that you use it. You’ve got more potential than you realize. More potential to succeed, more potential to fail. Be brave, Peter Pettigrew, and you will be rewarded. Be cowardly and you will be penalized.”

And on that rather ambiguous note, the hat called out, “GRYFFINDOR!” and Peter trotted to the table at the far end of the Hall. He felt very confused and at the same time obligated; the hat had shown faith in him, and Peter was forced to come to terms with his budding courage; who knew when he would need it?

~~~~~~


“Potter, James.”

James Potter swaggered up to the stool. His obvious self-assurance was envied by a few of the students still waiting to be sorted, although a certain first-year at the Gryffindor table narrowed her eyes with disdain. Oblivious, James seated himself and grinned at the hall as the stern witch placed the hat on his head.

“James Potter; from a long line of Gryffindors, if I do recall.” Not at all surprised that this hat knew his family history, James smiled smugly. “Full of the Potter arrogance, just like your father, I see,” the hat chuckled. James deflated slightly. “Oh, well, you’ll grow out of it in time. Now, where shall I put you?”

Gryffindor, of course, answered James.

“And why is that, Mr. Potter?” inquired the hat musingly.

All my family have been there, you said so yourself. Besides, my new friends are in Gryffindor. So you have to put me there! insisted James. Please? he added as an afterthought.

“Very well, Mr. Potter.” James could have sworn the hat was laughing at him. “As you wish.

“GRYFFINDOR!”

James grinned widely and sauntered down to the table, where his fellow Gryffindors were joyously celebrating his arrival. He squeezed onto the end of the bench next to the prissy girl he recognized from the train, grinning at her. She, too, recognized him, and all but recoiled in disgust. In attempting to scoot away from him she brushed against Sirius on her other side. Finding herself surrounded, she scowled and crossed her arms and legs, blinking back tears of frustration. James raised his eyebrows and smirked at Sirius behind the girl’s back.

“What’s the matter, princess? We won’t bite “much.” She huffed and made no answer. A sandy-haired first-year next to Peter was watching them with concern. James smiled and stuck out his hand.

“James Potter.” The boy looked at him, startled.

“Remus Lupin,” he said uncertainly, shaking James’ hand. James grinned wider and opened his mouth to say more, but an older student shushed them and he realized that there were still a few students left to be sorted, including”he smirked”slimy Snivellus.

~~~~~~


“Smalls, Alice.”

At the Gryffindor table, Mary MacDonald crossed all her fingers in her lap. She tried to cross her toes, too, but her shoes were too tight, so she settled for crossing her arms and legs. All her effort paid off when the hat shouted,

“GRYFFINDOR!”

Mary grinned at Alice and edged over to make room as “Smith, Alexander” went to Hufflepuff.

“Snape, Severus,” called Professor McGonagall. Mary hurriedly checked herself to make sure everything was uncrossed. Sure she felt sorry for Lily, being separated from her friend and all, but there was no way she wanted that creepy Snape kid sharing a house with her.

Lily herself was on the edge of her seat, biting her lip as Snape settled himself on the stool. She wrung her hands distractedly as his head disappeared under the hat.

~~~~~~


Severus hopped onto the stool and swept his gaze around the room nervously. The pampered-looking, bespectacled boy from the train smirked at him mockingly from Lily’s side. Severus glared before the hat came down over his eyes and he was plunged into darkness.

“Severus Snape, how nice to meet you. You’ve quite a thirst to prove yourself, certainly... But is it enough?”

Lily does, too. Why’d you have to put her in Gryffindor? Snape thought contemptuously.

“It’s where she belongs,” said the hat wisely. “And as you’ve guessed, Mr. Snape, you belong in…

“SLYTHERIN!”

Severus sighed and made his way away from Lily to the Slytherin table, where a prefect with white-blond hair indicated the seat beside him. Severus took one more backwards glance and sat.

~~~~~~


The Sorting soon ended and the hat and stool were carried out of the room. At the staff table Albus Dumbledore stood up, and the hall fell silent. “Welcome back, students new and old alike; welcome to another year at Hogwarts. I know you must all be ravished after your long ride here, so I’ll save all the announcements for after you have eaten and are feeling conveniently sleepy.” There was an appreciative murmur of laughter. Without further ado, Dumbledore took his seat.

Gasps were heard from many of the first years as the golden dishes in front of them were suddenly piled high with every delicious food they had ever tasted, and a few they hadn’t. Even James couldn’t help but be a bit awed. He got over that quickly, however, and along with his neighbors he began helping himself to everything in reach and calling for the rest to be passed. After a few minutes of steady shoveling, he overheard one of his fellow first-years asking an older student about the classes and other goings-on at Hogwarts. Never one to pass up a chance to seem knowledgeable, James quickly jumped into the conversation, proudly retelling every bit of Hogwarts lore he had ever heard from older friends and relatives.

Sirius, too, had information to contribute, as did Alice. Mary listened eagerly to everything said. Peter, too, listened with wide eyes, asking questions and seeming very enthusiastic about everything. James couldn’t blame him.

Between Sirius and James, Lily was picking at her food. Hungry as she had to be after the trip, her plate was still half-full. She tried not to look like she cared about what James and Sirius were saying, but she couldn’t help but listen, eager as she must have been to learn about this strange and amazing new world. James smirked when he saw her suppress a smile at a particularly amusing anecdote involving James’ uncle Richard, the Hogwarts dungeons and a large amount of luminous paint.

“How about it, princess?” he asked teasingly. “Maybe you and I should go out and paint the dungeons red.”

Lily glanced up sharply, stiffening when she saw him smirking at her. She narrowed her eyes. “I think not, thank you.”

James raised his eyebrows in mock astonishment. “The princess speaks!” he exclaimed. Sirius snorted. Lily scowled and went back to her food.

~~~~~~


After each of the first-years had eaten more than he or she had thought possible, the leftovers (what little there were) disappeared and Dumbledore stood once more. “Now that we are all fed and watered, I do have a few start-of-term announcements,” he said. “Firstly, we have a new caretaker this year. Mr. Pringle has retired to spend more time with his wife and dogs, so please give a warm welcome to his successor Mr. Filch.” There was a small smattering of applause. “In order to make his new job a bit easier, I would ask you all to review the list of forbidden items which can be found posted on the door to his office. Also we have a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Vance.” Dumbledore gestured toward an elegant-looking young woman who smiled nodded. More applause.

“Finally,” said Dumbledore as the hall grew silent once more. “You first-years have all been sorted into your four separate and equal houses, but I would like to remind you that they need not be completely separate, which is to say that there is no reason why a Gryffindor and a Ravenclaw or a Hufflepuff or a Slytherin cannot be friends; you may be four houses, but we are one school. With that thought in mind, it’s off to bed with you.”

~~~~~~


Lily stumbled sleepily up one more flight of stairs before the prefect ahead of her finally stopped in front of a large portrait of a very fat lady in a very pink dress. “Behind this portrait is the entrance to Gryffindor Tower,” said the female Prefect. “The password will be changed every few weeks, so be sure you remember it. The current password is ‘polyhedron.’” As she finished, the portrait swung forward, almost knocking into Peter and Remus, who jumped back quickly.

What’s a polyhedron? Lily wondered vaguely. It reminded her of maths, somehow….How am I supposed to remember the password if I don’t know what it means?

Lily followed her dorm mates through the common room and up yet more stairs before they finally came to a door marked “First Years.” Mary pushed the door open to reveal a circular bedroom containing five elegant-looking four-posters decked out in red and gold. As the other girls started locating their trunks and getting ready for bed, Lily wandered over to the window and put a knee up on the sill, staring out into the starry night. She wondered if the Slytherin common room was in a tower, too.

Distantly, Lily heard Mary strike up a conversation. “So, what do you think?” Mary asked the room at large. Her voice sounded muffled, as if she were bent over rummaging for something.

“About what?” Alice replied, her words distorted as she tried to suppress a yawn.

“Everything,” said Mary. “The school, the food, the people. Where are my pyjama trousers?”

“The school is big,” answered Annie, sitting cross-legged on her bed, taking out her pigtails. “The food is good. The headmaster is a bit odd. How should I know where your trousers are?”

Lily barely registered Mary saying something in reply as her mind began to wander. She tuned in again in time to here Mary shout, “Found them!” and wave a pair of flowered pajama bottoms in the air. Mary stood and entered the bathroom.

Alice was watching Lily in concern. “Lily? Are you all right?”

Annie looked up. “Yeah, what’s with you, Lily? You’re as bad as Snivellus. Antisocial, the both of you.”

Lily stiffened and glared at Annie. “His name is Severus,” she said coldly.

Annie gasped and clapped a hand over her mouth. “Sorry! I meant Severus, really. Severus. Severus Severus Severus,” she repeated, hitting herself on the head each time she said his name. “Seriously, though, come and talk to us. You too, um…Sorry, what’s your name again?”

“I’m Rania Patil,” answered the dark-haired girl from her bed where she was brushing out her long black hair.

“Rania, got it.” Annie began muttering to herself again. “Rania. Rania, Rania…”

Alice made a noise of recognition. “I’ve heard about your brother, Damin. He’s in my sister Lizzie’s class.” Rania smiled and nodded.

“So,” said Annie, letting go of her concentration. “What’s up, Lily?”

Lily shrugged. “What’s the matter?” Alice pressed. “Are you homesick?”

Lily shook her head. “It’s just, Sev…”

Alice’s brow cleared. Sitting cross-legged on her bed, she leaned back on her arms behind her and asked in concern, “Oh, you’re upset because Severus is in Slytherin?”

Lily nodded unhappily.

“So?” Annie said, as Mary returned and took a flying leap onto her bed, making the springs creak. “Emma is in Ravenclaw.”

“But you and Severus seemed like you knew each other from before the train,” Alice said.

“Yes, he lives near me,” said Lily in reply. “We’ve been friends for a while.”

Mary, catching up with the conversation from her own fout-poster, piped up, “But you heard what Dumbledore said. Students from different houses can still be friends.” Lily perked up slightly.

Alice grimaced and sat up, leaning her elbows on her knees. “In theory that’s true,” she said. “But Gryffindor and Slytherin are a special case. They’ve been rivals for centuries.” Rania gave a murmur of agreement as she set down her hairbrush.

“But it’s possible,” Mary insisted hopefully, as Lily wilted. “You’ll see each other at meals and breaks, and we’ll probably have some classes together, right, Alice? Rania?”

“Oh, we will,” Alice answered. “But you might end up wishing we didn’t.”
End Notes:
Thank you for reading! Please do drop me a review, especially if you have concrit. I can always use it, no matter how minor.
Settling In by Luna_Lover
The first of September was a Wednesday. The youngest residents of Gryffindor tower spent Thursday and Friday rushing from the dormitories to the Great Hall, from the Great Hall to classes, back to the Great Hall for lunch and dinner, and finally back to their dormitories. On the weekend they explored the castle and grounds and tried to stay on top of their homework.

On Monday morning, the sixth of September, Sirius Black was sitting at the breakfast table. He was busy stuffing several sausages into his mouth at once and generally minding his own business, when a menacing-looking eagle owl landed in front of him.

Sirius looked up and gave a muffled groan through his mouthful of food.

James Potter shot a wary but curious glance at the red envelope in the owl’s beak. “A Howler?”

Sirius swallowed valiantly. “Mum,” he said with admirable bravado, though he paled slightly as he pried the letter from the owl’s beak.

The letter began to smoke slightly. James leaned away from it. Many people in the near vicinity covered their ears, gesturing for perplexed friends and neighbours to do the same.

Nonetheless, the entire Great Hall soon heard what Walburga Black had to say to her eldest son.

~~~~~~


That same Monday morning, Lily Evans also received a letter from home. She and Mary had come down together a bit late; the other girls had already been and gone. Just as Lily was helping herself to scrambled eggs and toast, the post owls flew in. Lily jumped as a tawny owl landed in front of her. She gently pried a letter from his beak. The owl fluffed his feathers importantly, his Hogwarts crest glinting on his breast, and flew off.

Lily ate her breakfast absently while scanning the letter. When she got to the end she set it down with a sigh.

“What’s wrong?” Mary inquired, setting down her fork.

“Nothing, it’s…it’s nothing,” Lily said quickly and unconvincingly as she half-heartedly picked at her food.

“Come on,” Mary pressed.

Lily sighed. “My parents sent a note from my sister Petunia. She’s a Muggle.”

“What does it say?” Mary asked, spreading marmalade on a slice of toast.

“It just says hello, how are you, I’m fine, that sort of thing.” Lily poked her eggs with her fork glumly.

“So what’s the problem?” Mary replied while taking a bite of toast. A large glob of marmalade dripped onto her eggs, unnoticed.

“The problem is, Petunia wouldn’t…she’s not…” Lily struggled for words. “She hates me now. She didn’t write this. Or maybe my parents made her write it, I don’t know. We used to be best friends, before Sev”I mean, um…” she trailed off miserably.

Mary swallowed and put down her toast. “So she doesn’t like Snape? What did he do to her?” Mary didn’t sound like she blamed Petunia for these sentiments.

“He didn’t do anything!” Lily retorted defensively. “Not really. And anyway, she’s just jealous. She’s jealous because she’s not a witch like me. But it’s not my fault,” she insisted shrilly, turning pleading eyes on Mary. “Is it?”

“Of course it’s not,” said Mary reassuringly. She reached over and patted Lily’s hand, giving her a warm smile. “Don’t worry about it.” Lily took a deep breath and smiled back.

Problem solved for the moment, Mary picked up her fork again and took a huge bite of eggs. She choked and nearly spit them out. “Bleargh,” she exclaimed, swallowing and taking a swig of orange juice. “Marmalade eggs.”

Lily laughed. Suddenly a high-pitched female voice reverberated through the hall, screaming at the top of its lungs: “SIRIUS BLACK! IS THIS HOW YOU REPAY YOUR MOTHER FOR ELEVEN YEARS OF DILIGENT EDUCATION AND FLAWLESS UPBRINGING? YOUR BROTHER REGULUS LEARNS MORE UNDER EACH DAY OF MY INSTRUCTION THAN YOU SEEM TO HAVE ABSORBED INTO YOUR THICK SKULL SINCE THE DAY YOU WERE BORN! I HAVE NOT WITNESSED SUCH A DISGRACEFUL UPROAR IN THE BLACK HOUSEHOLD SINCE””

The voice continued as Lily plugged her fingers in her ears, trying to drown out the noise. She craned her neck down the table and saw Sirius Black looking as if he had expected nothing less, but wanted to sink through the floor all the same.

“Come on,” Mary mouthed, her voice inaudible over the din. “Let’s get out of here.”

~~~~~~


Everyone makes friends as children, sometimes so easily that, looking back, they can’t quite pinpoint when or how the friendship started. One day they are strangers, and the next they are like brothers. Peter Pettigrew, Remus Lupin, James Potter and Sirius Black were an exception to this rule. James and Sirius had met on the train and were fast friends from day one. When the other two really came into the picture for good, neither of them could tell you.

Peter Pettigrew, however, could.

The date was September 8, 1971, a Wednesday. The only reason Peter knew that was because Alice Smalls, who sat next to Peter in Transfiguration, was the only first-year at Hogwarts who actually dated her notes, and Peter had happened to see her do it that morning.

Exactly one week after his arrival at Hogwarts, Peter was pleased to say that he was getting the hang of things rather nicely. Only once had he become lost, which was quite good, comparatively speaking, and Professor Flitwick had let it slide. Peter enjoyed his classes. Some of them were a bit too much writing and not enough magic, but at least, thought Peter optimistically, he could not make a fool of himself whilst taking notes.

James and Sirius were always galloping ahead from place to place, leaving Peter and Remus to follow at a steadier pace. Remus was a nice boy, if a bit timid. He was a half-blood like Peter, and so, unlike James and Sirius, he understood when Peter talked about things like cars and television. Remus had been raised in much closer contact to magic than Peter, however, so he was also happy to help Peter understand references to things like Filibuster’s and Cleansweeps.

Peter in turn had been able to help Remus. Remus had been homeschooled before Hogwarts, whereas Peter had gone to a Muggle primary school, at his mother's insistence. At school, Peter had sometimes been picked on and called a wimp by the bigger boys, so he now welcomed Hogwarts as a fresh start. The Sorting Hat’s admonition to him strengthened his resolve further. Lest he and Remus should run into bully problems, therefore, Peter taught Remus a trick he had learnt from his mother.

No opportunity to utilise their defensive tactics immediately arose, until that dreary September morning, when an event occurred which would alter the state of Peter’s existence for the rest of his life.

The last class before lunch that day had been Potions. Upon heading up from the dungeons after Potions, James and Sirius, who were ahead of Remus and Peter as usual, found their path blocked by three fifth-years; two Slytherins and a Ravenclaw. James and Sirius collided with the other boys as they hurtled down the corridor. “’Scuse us,” said James, although nothing in his tone asked excuse.

“Oi!” said the brawny Ravenclaw loudly. “Watch where you’re going, won’t you?”

“Let’s go this way instead,” Remus suggested, pointing down an adjacent corridor as James made a hasty retort and the situation escalated quickly.

Peter shook his head, excited for some action. “Let’s save them with the secret weapon!” he whispered back, gesturing with the comic he held in his hand. It was one of his favourites that he had brought from home. Remus looked as if he would rather pass on this opportunity, but Peter didn’t wait for an answer.

“Charge!” he shouted, hurtling down the hall with his comic thrust in front of him like a lance. Remus ran after him. They stopped just short of the other boys, who had looked up at Peter’s shout. Peter took advantage of their full attention quickly, and launched his weapon, Remus following along belatedly. “Oi, you! Your behaviour is so needlessly aggressive that I can only conclude that you are not a prime example of mental health. I suggest you seek help from a professional.”

Peter concluded by hurling his comic at the head of the Ravenclaw. Its corner struck him squarely on his frowning forehead as he stared at Peter and Remus incredulously. “What the”?”

“See you,” said Peter hurriedly, grabbing Sirius by the wrist and making a break for it. Remus did the same with James, and the four of them pushed past the startled Slytherins and escaped up the stairs to the more populated Entrance Hall. There they stopped, leaning against the wall to catch their breath.

“What in Merlin’s name was that?” asked James, looking at Peter in confusion. “Thanks, by the way, but”“

Sirius interrupted him by starting to laugh. “That was brilliant!” he exclaimed. “You really had him. He had no idea what you were blabbering about. And then you chucked the book at his head!”

“Waste of a good comic,” said Peter ruefully.

“I’ll buy you a new one,” said James, grinning as well. “What were you saying, anyway? I couldn’t quite make it out.”

Peter shrugged. “No idea. I, er…I heard it somewhere.” He decided it would rather undermine his new-found coolness to say his mother had taught it to him.

“You two are all right,” said Sirius decidedly. “I’m starved. Let’s go eat.”

~~~~~~


Remus Lupin stared into space. His three roommates sat near him, engaged in animated conversation. Remus was only half listening, as his mind was otherwise occupied with a conversation he had had earlier that day.

It’ll be dark around nine tonight, and the moon is already up,” Professor McGonagall had said when she pulled him aside after breakfast that morning. “Go to the Hospital Wing at 8:15; Madam Pomfrey and I will show you the passageway.

Remus glanced at his watch for the tenth time in so many minutes. He sat on the edge of his chair, jiggling his leg nervously. He heard Sirius saying his name; he sounded very far away. Remus nodded and smiled vaguely.

“You okay, mate?” asked James, poking Remus in the arm. Remus blinked. He looked at his watch again.

“No, um, actually I”I’ve got a stomach-ache. Think I’d better go to the Hospital Wing.” Remus jumped up and hurried to the portrait door. He wondered if he only imagined every gaze in the room boring into his back.

Although it was well before curfew, Remus hurried down the stairs and along the corridor to the Hospital Wing, anxiously peering over his shoulder every so often. By the time he reached the Hospital Wing he was nearly trembling with apprehension. Professor McGonagall met him at the door.

“Ah, right on time, Mr. Lupin,” she said briskly. She opened the door and called, “Poppy? We’re ready.”

The brusque but kind Madam Pomfrey bustled out. “Are you all right, Mr. Lupin?” she asked gently. Remus swallowed hard and nodded.

A faint trace of daylight still lit the grounds, although the sun had sunk below the mountains on the western horizon. The two women led Remus past the Black Lake toward a strong young willow tree. The tree creaked menacingly as they approached, and its branches swung slightly, though the air was still. When they were within ten metres of the tree, it began thrashing about, branches lashing out to try and whip the trespassers off their feet. Madam Pomfrey took hold of a long branch conveniently hidden behind a bush. She slid forward cautiously and poked a large knot on the tree trunk. The tree froze, and Professor McGonagall indicated a gap between two of its roots.

“The passage is down there; Madam Pomfrey will take you through. Are you ready?”

Remus shivered in the warm, almost stifling air of the September evening. He took a deep breath to steady himself and stepped forward. He reached the passageway, and Madam Pomfrey slipped in after him as the tree began groaning sluggishly. Madam Pomfrey lit her wand to guide their way through the dark, narrow passageway. Remus was not claustrophobic, but he wondered if he would feel the same way after he hit his growth spurt. At the end of the passageway Remus came upon a small shack that McGonagall had told him had been abandoned for some time.

“I’ll come and fetch you in the morning, then, Mr. Lupin,” the nurse told him kindly. “Take care.” She stepped through the doorway, and Remus was alone.

~~~~~~


Remus woke to a soft, warm hand on his shoulder and a woman’s voice calling his name. “Mum?” he murmured sleepily.

A pause. “No, dear,” said a gentle voice, which his foggy brain now realized was not his mother’s. “It’s Madam Pomfrey. You fell asleep. You need to get back to the castle before your roommates wake up.”

Remus shook his head to clear it and stood stiffly. “Oh. Okay.” Blinking in the pale, cloudy light of morning, he realized that he had passed out on the musty old bed in the shack. As if the floodgates had opened, the memories of the night before washed back over him.

He had come to himself in the pitch black darkness of the shack, crying out loud. He didn’t know how long he had sat on the floor as his sobs faded into silent tears streaming through his splayed fingers. The salt stung where it ran into the many clawed scratches he had inflicted upon himself.

His crying had brought on a wave of homesickness, the first since his arrival at Hogwarts. His mother had always cried with him on nights like this. Even as he grew older, and tried not to let his tears fall, she still cried. His father never came home those nights, and the local bartender knew to expect him once a month when the moon was full, although he never knew why. But Remus’ mother stayed, always. There was a little hallway in their house that led to the basement where Remus had made his transformations. The basement was magically secured, and the house was always soundproofed so as not to alert the neighbours. Sometimes his mother shut herself in her bedroom on those nights, but Remus knew that many times she sat at the top of the stairs in front of the locked door, listening. As soon as his tortured howls and whines dwindled into sobs and whimpers, she was there, crying with him. It wasn’t fair of him, when he knew how much both his parents loved him, but sometimes he wondered whom she cried for most: Remus, or herself.

~~~~~~


On a Saturday afternoon in the middle of September, Lily Evans looked up from her essay with a sigh. “This is so boring,” she said, though no one was there to hear her. She glanced out of the window at a bright blue sky. Lily fetched her book from a nearby table and settled into a chair by the window. Looking out she could see sunlight sparkling on the lake. She scanned the lawn for Severus, but didn’t see him. She caught sight of some other boys on the shore, however, whom she recognised. James and Sirius had grabbed hold of a large tree branch that had fallen in the previous night’s storm, and Peter, Remus and Frank Longbottom, with a few of his fellow second-years, looked on as the two black-haired boys carefully trailed the end of the branch in the water. Lily almost laughed aloud along with the other boys when a giant tentacle grabbed hold of the branch and yanked, pulling James and Sirius headfirst into the water.

“Are you done, Lily?” Lily looked up as Annie and Mary came down the stairs from their dormitory. It was Mary who had spoken. “You must be fast,” Mary continued. “I’ve made progress, though: I found my Transfiguration book. It was under Annie’s bed.”

Lily sighed again and slid down in the chair until her legs sprawled out in front of her. “No, I’m not half done yet.”

“That’s what tomorrow’s for,” said Annie with a grin. “It’s just too pretty out to work. We’ve been stuck inside all week with the rain.”

Lily hesitated for only a moment before jumping up. “Let’s go, then,” she said firmly. “We’ve got all tomorrow to work.”

Annie led the way out of the portrait hall, down the stairs and out to the lakeshore. There they met Alice and Rania heading towards them. “We were just going to come looking for you,” Alice told them, turning around.

The Gryffindor first-year girls found their male counterparts sprawled under a tree by the lake, not far from where Lily had seen them last. Frank and his friends had disappeared.

“Hi, boys!” called Mary, waving happily.

James and Sirius gave half-hearted greetings from where they lay on the ground. Remus had been leaning against the tree, but he sat up and waved as the girls approached. He poked Peter, who was absorbed in a comic. The cover read The Adventures of Martin Miggs, the Mad Muggle. “Oh, hi,” Peter said absent-mindedly.

“You’re wet,” Annie commented to James and Sirius, standing over them with her hands on her hips.

“Yeah…” Sirius grinned. “We had a little…”

“…Accident,” James finished.

“Ew!” Annie jumped back. “Don’t you think you’re a bit old for that?”

Sirius glared at her. “With water, stupid!”

“And the giant squid,” added Remus helpfully.

“They were trying to poke it with a stick and it pulled them in,” Lily explained without thinking.

“What do you know about it?” asked James, suddenly embarrassed. Annie was doubled over in laughter, and seeing James’ face, Mary and Alice were trying hard not to join her. Rania simply looked a bit bemused.

“Oh, um, nothing,” said Lily hurriedly. “I just…it just seemed like the sort of stupid thing you would try. And I was right, wasn’t I?” She lifted her chin and looked down her nose at him stubbornly.

James smirked. “You were watching.”

“Wasn’t,” Lily replied unconvincingly.

James grinned knowingly. “Sure you weren’t, princess.”

Lily narrowed her eyes. “My name is Lily.” An awkward silence ensued.

Just then, Lily caught sight of a familiar scrawny figure. “I’ll see you later, okay?” she told her friends.

Mary followed her gaze and nodded. “Sure. See you, Lily.”

~~~~~~


“Hi, Sev!”

Severus glanced up from the ground. His whole face lit up when he saw her. “Hi, Lily.” Lily ran along the lakeshore and skidded to a halt beside him.

She grinned at him. “Oh my gosh, Sev, you won’t believe what happened the other day!” She launched into a story about Mary MacDonald, Charms class, a carrot and a small explosion. Severus listened with more animation than he’d shown all day in classes. He laughed so loudly that a passing Slytherin prefect stopped and stared. Lily grabbed his hand and pulled him to a tree, under which she sat. He let her pull him down next to her, feeling more at home than he had all week.

~~~~~~


The weather grew steadily colder as September blurred into October and through to November. Inside the castle, student life had settled into a predictable schedule.

With predictability came boredom for many of the energetic young people at Hogwarts, including a certain rowdy bunch of first-years in Gryffindor Tower.

A frigid wind from the north was battering the castle, but the fires flickered warmly inside on that dark, stormy evening. James Potter and his friends were sprawled on a lush rug before the hearth, indignant at having been booted unceremoniously from their fire-side armchairs by the older boys on a dubious claim of “privilege.”

Sirius flopped onto his back and tossed a balled-up piece of parchment into the air. “Are you done?” Remus asked in surprise, glancing up from his work.

“No,” Sirius admitted. “My brain is dead.”

“Your brain never lived,” Peter muttered. Sirius chucked the ball of parchment at him. Peter threw it back and hit Sirius in the head. Sirius threw it into Remus’ lap. Remus rolled his eyes and went back to his work. Sirius grabbed the parchment and threw it at James.

“Ow!” James yelped indignantly.

“‘Ow’?” Sirius laughed derisively. “Wimp.”

James grabbed the parchment and pulled back his hand to pelt it, but paused as a mischievous grin spread across his face. He glanced behind him where three small heads were bent over their work at a table nearby. James took aim, lobbed his weapon and ducked down as the parchment bounced off a ginger head of hair with a quiet piff.

Sirius snickered and snuck a glance at the girls. Lily glanced up and turned around. She saw the ball sitting innocently on the stone floor and shot a suspicious glance at the boys, who tried to look just as innocent and failed miserably. Lily smiled slightly, rolled her eyes, and turned back to her work.

James quickly assembled another makeshift missile and once again hit his target spot on. Lily stiffened but did not turn.

James set his jaw in determination. She was ignoring him. James Potter was not used to being ignored. James shot a sideways glance at Sirius, who grinned and slid a stockpile of scratch parchment in between them.

A few seconds later, a veritable hailstorm of parchment jolted Lily from her thoughts. Her friends glanced up in surprise and hid their smiles. Lily sat very still for the longest moment, and then she stood. Mary and Annie craned their necks to get a better view as Lily slid between two armchairs to stand over the boys.

“Hey there, Evans,” said James casually, leaning his head on his elbow. “Can we help you?”

“If you could please not throw parchment; some of us are trying to work,” Lily said calmly and politely.

Sirius stifled a snicker, and Lily shot him a look. “As you wish, princess,” said James with an innocent smile.

Lily stared at him stonily. “My name is Lily,” she reminded him impatiently.

“Whatever you say, princess.” Peter snorted as Lily all but stomped her foot in frustration and stalked back to her seat. Mary and Annie giggled. Relaxing, Lily smiled and shook her head at them before bending over her work again.

A third-year looked on with amusement as James attempted to levitate an inkwell, but only succeeded in dumping it all over the rug. After letting James endeavour to wheedle a cleaning charm out of Remus for a good five minutes, the older boy took pity on James and cleaned up the mess.

“It’s swish and flick, not flick and swish,” he muttered in James’ ear. “But you didn’t hear it from me.”

James grinned and tried again. Carefully he manipulated the inkwell into position, and ever so cautiously tipped it until just one drop splashed onto Lily’s head.

“Is something”” Lily broke off with a shriek as she glanced up and spotted the inkwell hovering over her head. James laughed out loud, and then gasped as he lost control and the inkwell poured its entire contents onto Lily’s face.

The third-year grimaced and decided to take his leave. James glanced around for help and found his three friends looking on in motionless horror as Lily stood, screaming bloody murder and reaching for her wand.

Mary and Annie grabbed her by the arms while Annie shouted, “What was that?”

“It was an accident!” James exclaimed. “I only meant to drip it on her.”

“Come on, Lily, you can get back at him later,” Mary said loudly, pulling Lily toward the stairs to the girls’ dormitory. “You don’t want that to get stuck in your hair, do you?”

That got Lily’s attention. She stopped screaming and allowed Mary to drag her up the stairs to wash up.

“Stupid!” Annie said to James. “Why didn’t you stop him?” she inquired of Remus.

“Why me?” said Remus defensively.

“Because you’re the only one with half a brain!”

“Oh, that’s harsh, Stewart. That one cut me right here,” said Sirius, putting a hand over his heart. Annie glared at him and stormed off. “What is it with hot-tempered females around here?”

“You asked for it,” commented an older girl who had been watching the scene. Sirius exchanged glances with James, who shrugged.

“Well, that’s one way to add some excitement to the evening,” said Remus, finishing his assignment with a flourish. “I don’t know about you, but I’m going to bed before any of them come back down.”

“Good idea,” said Sirius, jumping up. James and Peter soon followed suit, and peace reigned in the Gryffindor Common Room once more…at least for a few hours.

~~~~~~


The first snow came in late November. “Oh, good, we’ve got Herbology first,” Lily said after breakfast. “That means we get to go outside.”

The girls paused outside the oak front doors of the castle, gazing out over the spotless lawn. Mary cautiously poked a toe into the snow. “It’s not that deep,” she said.

“Then we’ve got to savour it,” said Lily. “Walk in my footprints.” She set off toward the greenhouses, putting one foot in front of the other in a perfectly straight line.

“Good idea,” said Mary, following suit.

“YAAAAHHHH!” The girls spun around to see a group of young boys, James and Sirius in the lead, sprinting out onto the lawn and nearly bowling over the girls in the process. An impromptu snowball fight soon began as the boys raced back and forth over the grass while slowly making progress toward their destination, the greenhouses.

Lily sighed as the precious snow turned quickly to ice and mud under her classmates’ feet. The girls glanced at one another. Annie shrugged. “If you can’t beat ‘em””

She broke off with a yelp as a snowball hit her in the head. She turned to see Lily pointing a finger at Mary, who raised her eyebrows in a failed attempt to look innocent. Annie grinned wickedly. “Join ‘em!” she finished, scooping up a handful of snow and chasing Mary, who ran, screaming and laughing. Lily giggled and raced after her friends.

The snow brought the beginnings of the Christmas spirit to the students at Hogwarts, and joy increased throughout the castle in anticipation of the holidays to come. Yet for a certain group of students, danger lurked beyond the curtains of Christmas cheer, unforeseen. But that time was not yet come, and their happiness would remain unimpeded for a little while.
End Notes:
Thank you to my lovely beta Emma/Nitwit_Blubber_Oddment_Tweak_x, who just received the 2009 QSQ award for best beta reader! She's amazing. Congrats, dear! All you lovely readers deserve a big thank you as well, and please drop me a review and tell me what you think. Have a great day!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83005