A Motive Changed by Angela_Prongs
Summary: The Triwizard Tournament is back after ten years, and Abraxas Malfoy sees it as an excellent chance to prove himself to his adopted parents. Sick of being overshadowed by the new family member, he vows to enter and remind them of their first son. However, he soon discovers that there are things more important than being recognized for eternal glory. I am Angela_Prongs of Ravenclaw, submitting for the Second Task of the Mugglenet Triwizard Tournament.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1345 Read: 1834 Published: 04/29/09 Updated: 04/30/09
Story Notes:
Thank you so much to Amanda Vega, my beta. If it weren't for her, you'd probably be reading the pronunciation of 'established' said by a French person. Ugh. Also, let's see...*checks mirror* It looks as though my birthday wish hasn't come true yet; I'm not J.K. Rowling. Therefore, I guess I don't own much. Except Abraxas Malfoy, Vicoria Korner, and Jacqueline Vance. They are mine, although the name Abraxas Malfoy is not my invention. It's JKR's.

1. Chapter 1 by Angela_Prongs

Chapter 1 by Angela_Prongs
Triwizard Tournament to be held this year
Vicoria Korner


The headmasters and headmistress of Hogwarts, Durmstrang, and Beauxbatons have agreed to compete in the Triwizard Tournament this year. The tournament will be hosted by Beauxbatons. It begins November 1st.

It has been five years since the last Triwizard Tournament, hosted by Durmstrang. The heads of the three schools were nervous about competing again, due to an unfortunate death five years ago. “We have established new precautions this year to ensure the safety of our students,” said Beauxbatons Headmistress Olympe Maxime. “I am confident our new rules will work for everyone.”

Not all new safety regulations have been released to the public yet, but they include an age limit of seventeen years old and an Apparition license.

“Oh, the students will probably want to try to Apparate for some of the tasks. Who can blame them? If I had to face a dragon I’d Apparate right out,” said Three Broomsticks Barmaid Madam Rosmerta, referring to the Triwizard Tournament ten years ago. The champions then had to retrieve a golden egg from a female dragon. “Who knows what crazy tasks they’ll think of this year? I’m glad there are safety regulations,” said Rosmerta.

Beauxbatons students are thrilled to finally host the tournament. “It will be wonderful to finally show Hogwarts and Durmstrang our beautiful Beauxbatons,” said Sixth Year Jacqueline Vance.

Beauxbatons has been eager to finally show off their splendid school. Rumors surround the school and its unknown appearance. It is said to be a glass castle on the top of a mountain. It is also said that fairies carry messages around the school, and owls live more luxuriously than the students.

“You’ll have to wait and see,” said Vance.

It seems that Beauxbatons is not yet revealing anything, but the world will see the school soon enough. Everyone in the wizarding world is invited to the tournament, which is sure to be an exciting one.



Abraxas Malfoy smirked the smirk only a Malfoy could pull off. If there was one thing he could do to impress his parents, it would be winning the Triwizard Tournament. Having just turned seventeen, he was confident that entering would be no problem at all. Besides, he would do anything to pull his adopted mother’s attention away from the snivelling baby for once, and his father was no better. All his parents cared about these days was Scorpius. They paid their eldest son no attention at all, and Abraxas was getting sick of it. The new term would begin next week, so at least he would be away from their stupid baby talk and irritating new interest in diapers. Although he had been there first, there was really no getting around the fact that he wasn’t Draco and Astoria Malfoy’s biological son. The kid had him beaten there.

“Brax!” yelled his father from down the hall.

Abraxas jumped from the armchair by the fire and threw the newspaper on the table. “Yes, Father, I’m coming,” he replied. He crossed the room and leaned carefully out the door, straining his ear for signs of crying. There was no sound, and Abraxas sighed in relief. At least there would be no diaper to change, or baby burp to clean off his clothes tonight.

Abraxas walked down the dark hall, stepping silently on the velvet emerald carpet. He turned left into a brightly lit room, painted green and silver with friendly little snakes dancing around the walls. His father, Draco Malfoy, was leaning over the baby in the crib in the center of the room. When his son entered, he looked up.

“Ah, Brax, there you are. Would you mind looking after your brother? Your mother and I have to run to the store.”

Abraxas tried to keep the resentment off his face and out of his voice when he replied, “Of course, Father.”

“Thanks, Brax. We’ll be back in no more than an hour.” Mr. Malfoy left the room, after giving the baby one last tickle.

Abraxas walked over to the edge of the crib and looked down. Immediately, his baby brother grinned up at him. Why must he be so darn happy to see me? he thought. With an irritated sigh, Abraxas picked up the baby as carefully as he could and held him in his arms.

Scorpius was cute, it had to be said. He had the typical gray Malfoy eyes and his baby hair seemed to be even paler than regular baby hair. Abraxas walked over to the rocking chair by the window and sat down, studying his baby brother. He had never really spent much time with the kid, other than changing his diapers and burping him. Right now, though, he was beginning to sort of see why his parents adored him so much. He was beautiful. Not only that, but there was something about the way Scorpius was looking at Abraxas that seemed… adoring. Brax was surprised; he had always hated the little thing, but Scorpius was looking at him like he was a god.

“Er, hello, little guy,” he said, kind of awkwardly. The baby smiled even more widely, seeming thrilled that his hero was speaking to him. Brax stared at his adopted brother for a few moments, wondering why he was speaking anyway. Surely the baby couldn’t understand him; he was only a few months old. And yet… there was a look in the eyes of the little baby that seemed very knowing.

"Eh, I guess you're not an evil little brat after all. D'you think we could be friends?" Abraxas raised his eyes at the baby, wondering why on Earth he was seeking judgment from a child. Then again, children do have the purest minds, and this one was only a few months into the world.

Although he was only a newborn, the baby smiled widely and his eyes sparkled. Outside a cloud shifted, and the sun shown brightly upon the face of the little boy. Suddenly, he looked more like a Greek cherub to Abraxas than anything else. His gray eyes turned silver in the sunlight and his soft, feathery hair glowed against his pale skin. Abraxas admired his beautiful baby brother, and wondered what there ever was for him to hate. There was a strange kind of magic in the baby in his arms, which he regretted resenting. Scorpius couldn't help being loved. It was natural. He was a baby angel, it was clear.

Then the door of the nursery squeaked slightly, and Abraxas jumped. In walked Astoria Malfoy, his mother. Her gaze jumped straight over Abraxas and right to the baby in his arms. “Why, hello, Scorpius,” she cooed, walking gracefully toward the rocking chair. “Did you miss me, little boy?”

Abraxas handed the baby over to his mother, deciding it was time to leave. The irritated feeling was returning, triggered by his mother’s complete dismissal of his presence in the room. Brax walked out of the nursery, casting a final glance back at Scorpius. To his surprise, his baby brother was watching him leave. He was smiling such a loving smile that Abraxas lost his breath for a moment.

He took a deep breath, and then Abraxas turned and left the room. He walked back into the library and sat down at his usual armchair. He was surprised that the hour had passed so quickly, and now he wondered what to do. The newspaper he had thrown earlier caught his eye. He picked it up and glanced at the article he had been reading.

Hmm, he thought. Maybe he would still enter the Triwizard Tournament, but now his motive had changed. Remembering the adoring smile Scorpius had given him, Abraxas had a new goal. He would be the role model for his younger brother. He would live up to the expectations he could sense behind the baby’s knowing eyes, and he would win the tournament just to see the little baby in the crowd and its angelic, adoring face.
End Notes:
Ta-da! Now tell me what you think, please. If I ever continue this in a sequal, it would be nice to know what I should and should not do. ~Angela
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83106