A Popped Bubble by youngrowling
Summary: After having suffered years of torment from working in one of the lowest possible positions in the Ministry of Magic, Hermione’s dreams were finally coming true. She had been assigned to train side-by-side with one of the leading heads in the Ministry. Nothing could have burst her bubble of happiness, well, at least until she discovered the name of her new “boss”.
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 21629 Read: 65556 Published: 06/05/09 Updated: 05/28/10

1. Two Different Pops by youngrowling

2. An Understanding by youngrowling

3. An Itch by youngrowling

4. The Village Incident by youngrowling

5. Black Chemise by youngrowling

6. Snow by youngrowling

7. Dreaming by youngrowling

8. Final Pop by youngrowling

Two Different Pops by youngrowling
Her hands clenched and unclenched in her lap as she faced the wizard across from the desk she had been invited to sit in. The wizard was an old one, and Hermione’s mind screamed at him to hurry up.

This was the day. The day that Hermione, after having spent five torturous years working in the lowest position possible at the Ministry of Magic, would finally be able to prove herself capable of doing more than stapling news clippings together and filing them away. No, not anymore.

“Ah! Here we go.” The wizard said as he emerged from the file cabinet he had been searching in. “Yes, we were indeed very impressed with the work you have done so far Ms. Granger. You have been as efficient and as trustworthy as any of the secretaries we have ever had in the Ministry.”

Hermione glanced at the folder on the desk before her, the folder that now held her fate. Her hands were itching to grab it but she managed to control herself for a few more minutes and tried to listen to the wizard who had continued talking.

“Your work based on the improvements the ministry should undergo to allow easier and more proficient results was fascinating. It was that very piece that sealed my decision.”

A bead of sweat trickled down Hermione’s back. Please… Oh please…

The wizard gave her a toothless grin. “We have decided to assign you to one of the leading heads in your department.”

“Yes!” Hermione screamed and instantly covered her mouth as she felt her cheeks flame up, but for once, she didn’t care. All those years of coming to work, dreading the lowly looks witches and wizards with higher positions gave to her were finally over. She herself loathed the repetitive task of stapling and labeling. And now, her dreams were coming true. Maybe she really could make a difference in the wizarding world after all!

“I am happy to see you are so enthusiastic.” The wizard said with a smile. “But I hope you realize the responsibilities that come with this job.”

Hermione nodded energetically. “Yes sir, I do. I swear that I will do everything as correctly and promptly as I possibly can.”

The wizard raised one of his bushy eyebrows. “And you promise that you will do anything your head asks of you? For you do realize you are being trained Ms. Granger. You may call yourself as an intern of sorts. You are not in any position of power.”

Hermione nodded once more and smiled. “I understand perfectly sir. You have sent me to learn from one of the best. I am nothing more but a humble student.”

At that, the wizard chuckled. “That’s the spirit Ms. Granger!”

Hermione laughed herself. She was positively beaming. All of her dreams were indeed coming true.

As the wizard began filling away the folder, Hermione realized they had forgotten something.

“By the way, who am I going to be working pitifully and pathetically hard for anyway?” She could afford a little humor. Her dreams were coming true for the love of God! Her bubble of happiness was so thick that she almost didn’t hear the name the wizard mentioned.

“Sorry?” Hermione asked apologetically.

The wizard sighed. “You are already celebrating this achievement in your head, aren’t you Ms. Granger?”

Hermione’s cheeks turned faintly pink, but nothing could burst her bubble. Nothing at all, until…

“I said the head you are assigned to is the prominent Mr. Malfoy.”

POP.







POP.

A very different pop came from four floors above the place Hermione had just quietly left.

Draco Malfoy completely ignored the messenger bubble he had received from another department head and paid no attention to Mr. Gryphon’s voice as it filled his office.

“Hermione, you say?” Draco asked, the glee apparent in his voice.

“Yes sir.” The tiny voice of his equally tiny yet very curvy assistant Esmeralda, confirmed. “A Ms. Hermione Granger. The Minister requested you personally sir.”

Draco smirked and his handsome features lit up in a way Esmeralda had never seen before.

“What does this mean then?” Draco asked curiously, eyeing Esmeralda’s generous bosom which she graciously showed off in a very tight and revealing blouse. “For the next month I’m going to be a teacher? How am I going to get my work done?”

Esmeralda shook her head. “No sir. I mean, Ms. Granger is going to be a sort of intern, or a student if you may. But your time will not have to be wasted on coaching her. The Minister gave specific instructions on what he wants.”

“And what is that?” Draco asked lazily, motioning for Esmeralda to sit closer to him which she did without hesitation.

“Though Ms. Granger will be learning the ropes of your position sir, and mine as well, you are her boss and she is to follow your orders. You are permitted to give her nearly half of your workload if you feel she is in the condition of handling it.”

Draco’s fingers were silently unbuttoning Esmeralda’s tight blouse and soon found her equally tight black lace bra.

“And if she refuses?” Draco asked coolly, not noticing Esmeralda’s lusty gaze.

“The Minister asks that you give him a weekly report sir.” Esmeralda continued as she began stroking Draco’s soft blond hair. “If she proves to be unfit for any higher positions, or if she is unable to cope up with the work, then she returns to her job as the secretary for Muggle Protection.”

Draco let out a loud laugh.

This is going to be very interesting. He thought and finally slipped his lean fingers into Esmeralda’s underwear and listened to her soft moan.

Very interesting indeed.
An Understanding by youngrowling
“Hermione, why is your head in the butter?”

Hermione moaned in reply from the kitchen table, not minding the soft butter her head was currently resting on.

“This has to do with Malfoy, doesn’t it?” Harry asked, wrapping his arms around her from behind.

“How can it not be about him?” Hermione mumbled, refusing to open her eyes. “He’s ruining my life, in case you haven’t realized yet.”

Harry laughed. “I did actually realize that, as a matter of fact. But that just might be because you’ve already told me that a dozen times.”

“That doesn’t make it any more untrue,” Hermione replied, wishing she could just disappear into the soft butter and make everything better.

Today was her first day as Malfoy’s, well, Mr. Malfoy’s assistant. Hermione had seen the girls he usually worked with. They were the kind of balloon-chested women who got through life effortlessly by always seeming to forget to close the top button of their impossibly tight blouses. If they did have any brains at all, Hermione highly doubted that their amazing intelligence was the reason Malfoy chose them. But, now, it was Hermione who was going to have to work for Malfoy. Not only that, she was going to have to please him. She was going to have to prove to him that she was capable of anything he could throw at her, anything at all.

Yeah, right, Hermione thought angrily. Even if I get things right, I’m sure he’ll find a way to prove me wrong. That is exactly what a prat like him would do.

“Maybe he’s changed, Hermione,” Harry continued, as though reading her thoughts. “You never know.”

“You can’t change a leopard’s spots, Harry,” Hermione replied, then added with a smile. “Or a ferret, in this case.”

Harry laughed and gave Hermione a quick kiss. “That’s more like it. Now get going. You’re gonna be late.”

Hermione sighed loudly and finally stood up, wiping the butter off of her forehead. “If I don’t come home tonight, tell Ginny she can have Crookshanks.”

Harry chuckled. “If that old cat is still alive by tonight, I’ll be amazed.”

Harry kissed her, then but quickly pulled away when Hermione leaned in. That was how it was, living with Harry. He was always careful never to be too rough, and was forever cautious about how he treated her. Sometimes, Hermione admired this in him - other times, it annoyed her to death.

“Just remember, Hermione…” Harry whispered. “If Malfoy’s tough on you, show the git you can be tougher.”

And with that, Hermione stepped into the fireplace of their apartment and reappeared seconds after in the Ministry.






Malfoy was reading a report on Advanced Wand Promotion when he heard someone hesitate outside his door. A small smile spread across his features when Hermione stepped into his office.

“Ms. Granger. What a pleasure.”

“I’m sorry I can’t say the same to you, Malfoy.”

Malfoy smirked. “Now, is that really the first impression you want to give your new boss?”

It seemed to take Hermione a superhuman effort not to retort, but she chose to remain silent. Throughout her five years of working for the Ministry, she had never once had to face Malfoy and saw now that she hadn’t missed much. He had changed only slightly over the years, and Hermione could tell he was tall, probably a few inches more than her. Despite her hatred for him, Hermione had to admit that, even through his thick robes, she could still see the outline of the body that turned most of her female co-workers to pulp at one glance. Keeping up with all of his assistants was probably an excellent workout.

“Now, that wasn’t so hard now, was it?” Malfoy asked, cutting Hermione off in her silent snicker. “Take a seat, Ms. Granger.”

Hermione sat down primly in the green plush chair Malfoy pointed to in front of his desk and looked around. The dark green curtains blocked out most of the light in Malfoy’s office and gave the room a dreary feeling. The carpet, green as well, was lined with gold thread, sparkling every few seconds the light from Malfoy’s lamps caught it. Against almost every wall in the room towered bookshelves stacked with thousands of dusty looking books. There were no personal items in Malfoy’s office, not even a single picture. Hermione pursed her lips as she continued stalling but finally forced herself to glance towards Malfoy after many minutes of silence had passed.

“Why don’t we start by going over your tasks as my new assistant?” Malfoy started, leering at the last word.

Hermione nodded, not trusting her voice. She loathed the way Malfoy was staring at her; the obvious glee in his usually cold eyes made them sparkle annoyingly.

But Hermione’s silence didn’t last for long, for Malfoy had begun reciting to her the assignments she was to do - everything from items as stupid as polishing his wand to as menial as cleaning his bookshelves was present on his list. Her mouth dropped open at the last task.

“Keep you entertained?” Hermione asked angrily. “What in the world is that supposed to mean?”

Malfoy smiled. “And here I was, thinking you were smart.”

Hermione felt her face redden. “That’s not what I “ oh, never mind. But these tasks!” Hermione spat out the word. “They have nothing to do with your job!”

A chuckle emerged from Malfoy’s lips. “And how would you know that, Ms. Granger? Don’t tell me you’ve been the head of Wizard Security before.”

“Ha,” Hermione replied. “Stop playing, Malfoy. Everyone knows you’re the next obvious choice to become Minister. As Scrimgeour obviously believes, what happened in the past, is no longer an issue. Even without finishing at Hogwarts, you still managed to beat every single wizard that showed up in pursuit of this job. That is why the Minister assigned me to you, so that I can take over this position when you’re promoted. You’re supposed to show me how to run your job! Scrimgeour didn’t assign me to you as your maid! I will not -”

“I was under the impression that the Minister assigned you to me as my assistant, Ms. Granger. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I could swear that his exact words were that, as my assistant, you would have to do anything I ask of you.”

Hermione’s mouth opened and closed, but no words came out. She knew he was right, but even in her worst nightmares she had never imagined that Malfoy would have her do his chores.

“But how in the world would you expect me to handle your job properly then?” Hermione hissed angrily. “I know there’s more to your job than sleeping with all of your assistants.”

Hermione ignored Malfoy’s raised eyebrow and went on.

“I am going to get this job, Malfoy, I can assure you of that. But I expect you to at least tutor me a bit. Even you wouldn’t leave this office poorly attended to. So, if doing your chores for the month will force you to teach me, then so be it. But I expect you to help me in return, or else the Minister is getting an earful. Do we have an understanding?”

Malfoy watched on with an amused smile.

“Alright, Granger.” He replied, finally dropping the ‘Ms.’ pretense. “I will give you an overview of my job at the end of this month if you perform well in all of the tasks I have given and will give you. You have my word on that.”

Hermione nodded, feeling triumphant as Malfoy stood up.

“I’ve got some things to see to now, Granger,” Malfoy called over his shoulder, turning towards her from the doorway. “Oh, and, by the way, I don’t think you completely understood the tasks that I read to you earlier.”

Hermione looked up at him, and Malfoy suddenly broke into a wide grin.

“Those weren’t the tasks for you to finish this month.” Malfoy laughed. “Those were the tasks for you to finish today.

Malfoy laughed once more as Hermione’s face changed from angry to absolutely furious, then finally fall in silent defeat. He closed the door too soon to see the silent daggers that then followed, as Hermione glared at the closed door.

Die, ferret, die.
End Notes:
my love goes out to my amazing beta reader, DracoGurlFurever.
An Itch by youngrowling
Author's Notes:
thanks once more to my fabulous beta reader. i owe you.
By the time lunch rolled around, Hermione was exhausted. She had already done half of the tasks Draco had assigned her to do, but she couldn’t find the energy to finish the other half that was looming over her. She began mentally ticking off the things that were yet to be done, and finally settled on dusting and alphabetizing Draco’s books.

If only I had my wand… Hermione thought tiredly as she stared at the three large bookshelves around her. But, of course, Draco had thought of that already, and made it clear that the tasks were to be done by hand. Hermione’s hand itched to reach for the wand inside her skirt pocket, but decided against it. Somehow, in some way, she was sure Draco would find out that she had used magic, and that would give him an excuse to send her back to Muggle Protection. Sighing, Hermione stood up from the floor and made her way to the first bookshelf, bringing the ladder she had spotted along with her.

Hermione set the ladder against the bookshelf and made her way to the top to start. She worked silently for many minutes, and her concentration was so intense that she didn’t notice that Draco had returned and was now sitting silently in his chair watching her work.

I can’t believe she is actually doing this by hand, Draco thought in silent awe, pressing down on his lips to stop the snicker that was bound to come out. This is going to be better than I thought. She is desperate.

Draco continued to watch as Hermione, oblivious to his presence, continued working. She had finished the first row of books and was bending over to reach the second row when Draco’s eyes began paying more attention. Each time Hermione stretched, her skirt rose up a few inches, revealing the perfect white of her thighs underneath. This went on and on, as Hermione continued bending and stretching to reach the books. Draco couldn’t seem to tear his eyes away from those few inches of exposed skin, and was disgusted to find himself stirring.

Esmeralda better not be busy tonight, Draco thought to himself. I’ll be needing a good shag if I’m actually finding Granger attractive.

Draco shuddered and forced his eyes down to his desk to focus on his work. Hermione turned in surprise when she heard him shuffle his papers. Draco looked up, and the look of anger on his face sent chills down Hermione’s back, forcing her to quickly face the bookshelves once more.

Draco stared at his wand across from him and found himself imagining idly how Hermione would look if he silently magiced away a few more inches off of her skirt. Cursing himself seconds afterwards for even thinking that, Draco stuffed the wand into his cupboard, hitting himself mentally over and over again. Both of them continued working in silence, the tension growing between them with each minute that passed. Draco breathed a sigh of relief when Hermione finally finished the first bookshelf, then cringed when he remembered there were two more to go.

This is going to be a long day.






Neither of them spoke for a very long time, and Draco was startled when he felt Hermione hover over him timidly.

“What is it, Granger?” Draco asked, looking up to check the time, shocked to find that it was still four in the afternoon. Hadn’t it taken her several hours to finish those bloody bookshelves?

“I’m done,” Hermione announced, unnecessarily. “The only thing that remains now is to polish your wand.”

Draco stared at her outstretched hand and found himself grinning. After that afternoon of torture, he deserved some fun.

“Is that really the only thing that remains for you to take care of, Granger?” Draco asked. “Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember one last task that you have yet to complete.”

No emotion showed on Hermione’s face, but Draco saw the shadow of a blush cross her cheeks.

“Save it, Malfoy. Hand over your wand,” Hermione muttered, staring at him angrily.

Draco laughed. “Now, really, Granger. Here you are, demanding that I give you my wand while you’re staring at me in a way that makes me wonder if you’re imagining me dead inside your head. Do you really think it’s wise for me to hand over my wand to you right now?”

The corners of Hermione’s mouth twitched, but she didn’t allow the smile to reach her lips. “May I go, then? I’ve already finished everything.”

Everything? Are you absolutely sure there isn’t one more thing for you to take care of, Granger?”

Hermione tried to calm down the anger inside her and nodded casually. “I’ve done everything you’ve asked me to do, Malfoy.”

Draco stretched back leisurely in his chair and looked at Hermione suggestively. “And you’re positive there isn’t one more little thing you want to take care of, Granger? Don’t hold back. I won’t tell.”

It was then that Hermione snapped.

“Stop right there, you git.” Hermione answered furiously. “Fine, I do remember you giving me one more thing to do, but the idea is so revolting that I can’t even bear to utter the correct words. Entertain you?! Don’t you get enough of that from that giant-boobed secretary of yours? Or out of Carol, another secretary? I’ve seen her sneak out of her office more than once to find her flushed and sweaty when she returns! Either call one of them, or another one of your little whores, for right now, my bones hurt and my body is sore. So you better let me go before I’m forced to hex you!”

Hermione was shaking when she was done speaking and she stared at the wand in her right hand in surprise. She couldn’t even remember taking it out, but boy did it feel good pointed at Draco’s face.

“Put the wand down, Granger.” Draco said silently, not letting on to any of the alarm he was feeling. He might have power over her job-wise, but when it came to magic, Hermione was probably the only wizard that could be any competition against him at all. And right now, he was still wandless, his wand tucked away safely in his cupboard.

“No, Malfoy,” Hermione replied, feeling strangely angry at the look of total boredom on his face. “It’s about time I showed you who’s boss.”

Draco’s one raised eyebrow was the only reaction Hermione got, and she let out an irritated huff.

Think you’re so tough now, don’t you ferret? Hermione thought. I’ll show you.

Quickly, she began mentally going over the vast amount of hexes she knew, all the while keeping her wand glued on Draco’s immobile body. Finally, she found the perfect spell she was looking for, and grinned once at Draco’s still lifeless expression.

“Incr-“

The spell never got past her lips, for as soon as Hermione had opened her mouth, Draco had jumped over his desk at her, knocked her wand out of her hand and pinned her against the only un-bookshelved wall in his office.

“Now, what were you going on about, Granger?” Draco asked, grinning at the absolutely livid look on Hermione’s face.

“Let me go, Malfoy!” Hermione nearly screamed as she twisted and turned, trying to get out of the steel grip Draco’s hands had on her wrists. One hand was trapped on either side of her face, and Hermione had almost no choice but to stare at Draco, his eyes shining with amusement once more.

“Why would I want to do that?” Draco asked, smiling. “Does this position make you uncomfortable, Granger?”

“Yes, Malfoy, but not in the way you presume,” Hermione replied, hating the malicious thoughts she knew were swarming around in his mind. “Now let me go, or else.”

Draco pretended to think. “Hmmm… or else what, Granger? You’ve already tried to curse me once, and I beat you, wandless, I might add. In what ways could you possibly harm me now? Don’t tell me you’re thinking of wrestling me.” Draco laughed. “Though I might actually not object to that.”

“Let me go!” Hermione shrieked, all the while knowing her voice would never reach anybody’s ears. The whole floor they were currently on was all Draco’s offices. The one they were currently in was only the main one.

“Make me,” Draco replied, twisting his mouth to one side.

Furious, Hermione continued twisting, knowing that if Draco didn’t want to let her go, she would stay here for as long as he wanted. Hermione gasped as Draco pushed his body closer to hers.

“Stop moving so much, Granger.” Draco whispered into her ear seductively. “Though I admit the sensations you are causing aren’t that unpleasant.”

Hermione stopped moving at once, hatred pouring through her every vein. She gasped as Draco suddenly kissed her ear and was even more amazed at the shivers of pleasure it sent through her spine.

“Stop it, Draco,” Hermione said, trying terribly hard to keep her voice calm. “I don’t think my boyfriend would appreciate this much when I tell him.”

It was a low try, but it stopped Draco’s lips from moving, and Hermione felt his warm chuckle in her ear.

“Let me guess… Potter?”

Draco felt her stiffen and assumed his guess to be correct. The thought made him laugh and he pulled his face away from Hermione’s just enough to see the anger return to her eyes.

“Really, Granger… Potter?

His laughter made Hermione see red. “And why not, Malfoy? Not like this is any of your business.”

Draco shrugged nonchalantly. “I just thought that a girl with a temper as strong as yours would want a boyfriend who is more… exciting.”

“And what makes you think Harry isn’t exciting, Draco?’ Hermione lied. “He really is, actually. In fact, he is so exciting that when I’m with him I think I could just die from excitement.”

The lie was so apparent that Hermione bit her lip, but she continued staring at Draco’s shining eyes.

“But does he give you excitement in bed, Granger? That’s what I’m asking.”

Draco watched Hermione’s pink lips as they opened and closed. The soft blush returned to her cheeks, and Draco felt strangely tempted to kiss her.

“This is none of your business, Malfoy,” Hermione replied angrily. “Now let me go!”

Draco looked at her in confusion; the tone in her voice implied that she was hiding something. They stared at each other for a few moments, and suddenly Draco’s eyes turned into saucers.

“You don’t know, do you?” he whispered, the glee returning to his voice.

“What are you talking about, Malfoy?” Hermione replied, the lie just as easily detectable in her tone.

“You don’t know if he’s exciting in bed or not, because you yourself don’t know!”

Hermione replied one second too late for her answer to be the truth.
“Nonsense! Of course I know! Not that this is any of your business, Malfoy, but Harry is incredible in bed.”

Draco laughed at her open lie. “How many years have you been together, Granger?”

“It will be three years this July,” Hermione replied, her face set.

Three years?” Draco asked in awe. “Wait… that means… you haven’t… in three years?

“Not all people are like you, Malfoy!” Hermione replied hotly, giving in to her lie. “Not everyone needs to have sex 24 hours a day to be able to function properly.”

Draco’s mouth was still hanging open. “But… don’t you ever feel any… needs?”

The dark blush that now completely covered Hermione’s face was what finally made it click in Draco’s mind.

“No, this is too much.” He laughed. “He doesn’t want to?”

“Shut up, Malfoy,” Hermione hissed. “Unlike you, Harry is a gentleman, and I love him for that. He didn’t grab at me at the first chance he got. He respects me.”

Draco continued to chuckle. “But what about you, Granger? Isn’t it tiring living through life day after day with an itch that Potter won’t scratch?”

“I said, shut up, Malfoy!” Hermione replied, her red face giving her emotions away.

Draco ignored her completely and brought his lips down to her ear once more. His breath sent those bloody shivers down Hermione’s spine again, and she gasped when he pushed his abdomen into her stomach.

“I could scratch it for you, Granger,” he whispered into her ear, before leading his lips towards Hermione’s neck, leaving her speechless.

“Let me go, Malfoy,” she finally managed to whisper.

At that, Draco chuckled silently. “I haven’t been holding on to you since we’ve started talking, Granger.”

Hermione felt her hands and discovered they were free. She hadn’t even realized it, but now she was trapped between knowing she had to go and the disturbing fact that she wanted to stay.

Glancing at the look of confusion on her face, Draco laughed. “Go on home, Granger. You can make up your mind whether you want to be relieved of that itch of yours, or endure three more years of suffering.”

Hermione’s anger returned to her then, and she pushed Draco away as she marched to the door.

“Oh, and, Granger?” Draco’s voice called.

Hermione turned around angrily. “What, Malfoy?”

Draco smiled at her. “Thanks for keeping me entertained.”
The Village Incident by youngrowling
Author's Notes:
thank you once more to my amazing beta reader. :)
”I’m sorry, Ms. Granger, but you cannot possibly apply for a higher position. You didn’t finish your last year of Hogwarts, and that unfortunately is a block spot on your record. The Minister will simply not allow it. I am so sorry.”

Hermione felt her dreams crashing behind her, but she kept her composure. She nodded a final time before standing up and heading towards the door. Hermione arrived at the apartment she shared with Ron moments later and stopped outside their bedroom door, waiting to knock, when she suddenly heard a very girlish giggle. As soon as she opened the door, two yelps followed, and Lavender quickly covered her exposed body with a blanket.

Hermione literally felt her heart breaking. With tears streaming down her face, she yelled at Ron. Hermione threw a pillow at him and Lavender, who were on the very same bed she and Ron had shared for two years. Grabbing her coat from his closet, and yelling one last swear word, Hermione left, slamming the door behind her.

She didn’t know where she was going; all she knew was that she had to escape. Soon, Hermione found herself at the Three Broomsticks and sat down in the farthest corner of the pub. She wiped the hot tears off her face and watched as a blurry figure approached her table.

“Hermione?” the figure asked, in a voice Hermione hadn’t heard for a very long time.

“Harry...?”

Harry sat down beside her. He didn’t ask what was wrong; somehow, he already knew. Ron had been his best mate, after all, and still was. But his choice in women was something Harry simply could not understand. Just like at Hogwarts, Lavender had enticed him into breaking Hermione’s heart; and, just like at Hogwarts, Harry was there to hold her together.

“It’s going to be okay, Hermione...” Harry whispered.

Hermione emerged from his arms and her red, puffy face broke Harry’s heart. Ever since Ginny had broken up with him, Harry had been looking for a reason to keep on breathing. He saw it now, in his arms. Hermione needed him.

“I won’t leave you, Hermione,” Harry said quietly. “I promise.”







Tears were running down Hermione’s face as she woke up. All the emotions she had tried to bury forever had escaped with that one dream, and she found herself in desperate need of someone to talk to.

“Harry?” she whispered hopefully, turning towards the right side of the bed, but, as usual, it was empty.

Why does he have to go to work so early? Hermione sighed and finally rolled out of bed. Another lonely breakfast followed, and Hermione tried to think of the last time that she and Harry had eaten together in the morning. Sadly, though, it seemed to have been so long ago that Hermione couldn’t even remember it. She showered, then changed into her work clothes in silence, and a single tear ran down her face as her eyes gazed around her empty apartment.

“Ministry of Magic,” Hermione croaked, stepping into the fireplace; the next second, she and the single tear had both disappeared.




Malfoy wasn’t in the office when she arrived, and Hermione was grateful for that. She didn’t feel she was up to being taunted yet again today. All the physical tasks he had so far given her were nothing compared to how hard it was for her to keep her temper around Malfoy. Everything from his sneer to the way he talked set her off. Even just the way he looked at her made Hermione’s blood boil.

I can’t believe I almost fell for one of his tricks, Hermione shouted at herself inwardly as she remembered the last time she and Malfoy had been in the office together.

“Thanks for keeping me entertained,” Hermione said, in a rough imitation of Malfoy’s voice, to no one in particular.

She shuddered as she remembered the feeling of Malfoy’s hands on her and willed herself to frame the incident in her mind as something that had been horrible, disgusting and definitely never to be thought of again.

Where is he? Hermione thought irritably, after half an hour of waiting. She walked over to his desk and suddenly noticed a piece of floating parchment with Granger written across the top in Malfoy’s neat penmanship. She reached for the parchment; it glimmered for a second as she touched it and finally settled in Hermione’s palm.

Granger, the note started; Hermione could almost hear Malfoy’s voice as she read the rest. I have a meeting this morning. I might come in later this afternoon to make sure you haven’t burned down my office yet. As you may or may not have already noticed, on my desk is a pile of papers. Those are requests for grants which I am supposed to approve or decline. Read them and decide whether the wizard in question should be granted special security grants. Basically, all you have to do, is write ‘Approved’ or ’Rejected’ at the bottom of each of the parchments you have read. I believe even someone with as little background as you should be able to do this job. Malfoy.

Breathing deeply, Hermione tried to restrain the anger that was bound to erupt any second. Instead, she glanced at the huge pile of papers on Malfoy’s desk, and a small smile escaped her lips. A whole morning without Malfoy and no laborious tasks? There was nothing to complain about.

Reaching for the first paper of the top of the pile, Hermione read through it quickly. It was a grant from a father asking for money to make a protective potion for his daughter, who had been molested on her way home from Hogwarts. The grant request continued by asking for help for the poor girl, who was now so scared of going outdoors that she had locked herself in her room and hadn’t come outside in three weeks. A list of ingredients for a potion Hermione had never heard of followed; the father stated that, if the Ministry would give him the amount he had estimated at the bottom of the parchment, he would be able to make the potion for his daughter for her to regain her courage and forget the whole incident. Also, the father wanted to buy a spell book containing details on the kinds of magic that were set aside just for this case. He wanted to get even with the men that had done this to his daughter, and Hermione couldn’t blame him.

A photograph fell out of the request envelope, and Hermione found herself looking at the face of a pretty girl. She smiled shyly at Hermione through the photograph, and Hermione felt her heart going out for the girl. Though the amount her father had put down was quite large, Hermione wrote Approved at the bottom of the parchment without hesitation. For her, they deserved it all and more.

This is so amazing, Hermione thought, as she went through more of the grant requests. She felt like she was finally helping someone - she felt like she was finally making a difference.

Hermione enjoyed going through all the grants so much that she was surprised to find it was already noon by the time she was done. It had seemed to take almost no time for her to read all of the papers, and Hermione felt she had done a wonderful job.

The moment of truth came when Malfoy arrived a few minutes later. He looked at Hermione in surprise when she said she was already done.

“With all of them?” Malfoy asked again, and Hermione nodded proudly.

“Each and every one,” she said, smiling as she shoved the pile of parchments towards Malfoy as proof.

Hermione sat down across from his desk as Malfoy went through her work. She watched his expression carefully as it changed from confused, to angry, to amused, and then, finally, to exasperated.

“What is it?” Hermione asked timidly. She could read from Malfoy’s expression that she had done something wrong, but she wasn’t sure what it was.

“Did you realize, Granger, that you said ‘yes’ to every single wizard asking for a security grant?”

Hermione thought over all the papers she had read and realized he was right.

“I guess I did,” she replied in a thoughtful voice. “But with good reason. All of them deserved security.”

“Even this?” Malfoy asked, holding up a piece of paper. Hermione scanned it quickly and found it was the grant request from the father whose daughter had been molested - the grant that had touched her so thoroughly.

“Of course!” Hermione replied at once. “Don’t you think they deserve to be safe? She was sexually molested, Malfoy! The father wants to make sure it doesn’t happen again. All he asked is for us to give him enough money for him to buy the ingredients he needs to make the potion for his daughter in order for her to forget the whole incident. How in the world can you think they're not deserving people?”

The sigh that came out of Malfoy’s mouth infuriated Hermione. “Did you see the amount of galleons he was asking from us, Granger?”

Hermione nodded, not budging. “It was a bit high, I agree. But, as I said, they deserve it.”

Malfoy leaned towards her over his desk, but Hermione wouldn’t allow herself to be intimidated. “And did you go over the list of ingredients he sent?”

Silence answered him, and Malfoy nodded.

“Exactly. You didn’t.”

Pulling the paper towards himself again, Malfoy began, “I don’t recall dragons having hair, Granger, as stated in this obviously false list of ingredients. He asked that we give him five hundred galleons for him to make his potion, and you didn’t even go over the statistics?”

Sitting upright in her chair, Hermione retorted, “I don’t believe someone would make up such a sick story just to get a few galleons out of the Ministry for their own personal welfare, Malfoy. No one is that unkind.”

At that, Malfoy laughed. “You really think this story is true, don’t you?”

Hermione nodded, saying nothing.

Malfoy stood up suddenly and grabbed Hermione by the hand, pulling her beside him.

“Once again, Granger, I love proving you wrong.”







The two Apparated seconds later into a small village. The afternoon had turned into early evening, and Hermione shivered as the cold wind blew against her. Malfoy still had on his traveling cloak - he had not bothered to remove it when he had arrived in his office. He walked ahead of her, and Hermione had no choice but to follow. They walked straight for a few minutes until Malfoy turned left and continued walking.

“The address said to send the money here,” Malfoy said, after stopping in front of a small, worn-down house.

Edges of doubt started creeping into Hermione’s mind, but she ignored them as she stepped onto the doorstop and knocked. Moments later, a dirty, old man appeared, squinting sharply at Hermione.

“What do you want?” he asked in a gruff voice.

Hermione felt Malfoy step up beside her.

“Are you Ben Copper?” she asked, remembering the name written on the letter’s envelope.

The man leaned closer towards Hermione and the foul smell of him made her want to recoil. “And what if I am? What’s it to you?”

Hermione forced a smile. “I came to see your daughter. It’s… er… a school matter.”

The man suddenly burst out laughing. “Daughter? Now that’s funny. There ain't no daughter of mine around here, sweetie.”

Smiling, the old man stepped even closer towards Hermione. “But, if you want to change that, I’m up to the offer. These old bones can still move, you know.”

Malfoy pulled Hermione’s arm towards him.

“Believe me now?” he whispered in her ear.

Hermione nodded, and Malfoy led her away from the house. The man’s laughter faded into the background as they walked back towards the clearing they had appeared in.

Hermione was visibly shaken, and Malfoy found himself feeling sorry for her. He suddenly wished that he could erase the bad thoughts from her mind. Sighing, Malfoy held onto Hermione’s arm once more, and they appeared a second later at the Three Broomsticks.

“Two Butterbeers,” he told the waiter as he led Hermione to a table far away from all the laughing customers.

“I can’t believe it,” she said, after a few moments.

Malfoy sighed. “Not all people are as noble as you and your precious Potter, Granger. Some will do anything for money. The reason I took you there tonight was for you to understand that. You cannot work for Wizard Security if you approve every single grant you receive just because of the stories they feed you. Half of them are always untrue.”

Hermione nodded silently, sipping on the Butterbeer that had just arrived. “But the picture… the one of the girl…”

Malfoy laughed. “The one in the letter? You should really keep up with the world more, Granger. The girl in the picture was a child model; you can see her on all ‘Mrs. Olivia’ potion bottles.”

“Oh…” Hermione hung her head. “I’m sorry I did such a lousy job, then.”

Malfoy snickered. “You did well enough, Granger. I would have been astounded if you had gotten everything right on the first try. You did well for a beginner.”

It was almost a compliment, and both of them realized it at the same time. The air suddenly shifted between them, and the tension grew at once.

“I should be going,” Hermione said quickly. “Harry is probably waiting for me at home.”

Malfoy’s laugh answered her. “Really, Granger… I still can’t understand how you can put up with him.”

Hermione rolled her eyes at Malfoy. “Once more, Malfoy, this is none of your business.”

Hermione turned around, about to leave, when she suddenly felt strangely off balance. The night’s events were taking their toll on her, and she felt the world spinning around in front of her eyes.

“Granger!”

She heard a distant voice shouting, but it was too late. Everything went black.






The shuffling of blankets woke Hermione up.

Her head was throbbing, and she tried to sit up.

“Lie down, Granger,” she heard Malfoy’s voice saying in front of her as a strong hand pushed her back onto the bed.

“Where-“

“I Apparated both of us back into your apartment. You didn’t seem to be in fit enough condition to do it on your own.”

Hermione looked down at herself, and realized she was already wearing her pajamas. She felt the blood rushing to her face and angrily threw a pillow at Malfoy, hitting him squarely in the chest.

“What’s wrong with you, Granger?” Malfoy asked, actually looking shocked. “Aren’t you supposed to be kissing my feet for saving you from possibly splinching yourself?”

“You undressed me?”

Malfoy’s lips turned up into a lopsided smile. “Oh, that. Well, don’t get your knickers in a bunch, Granger. It wasn’t like I could let you fall asleep in your office clothes. Anyway, my fingers didn’t wander anywhere they shouldn’t. I’d rather like you to be awake for that.”

Vague images of Malfoy undressing her wandered around Hermione’s head, and she threw another pillow at him. This time, he caught it.

“Really, Granger, it’s not a big deal,” Malfoy said, snickering at the look of indignation on her face. “You should actually be thankful that I helped you. I could have left you back there, you know. My initial plan was just to bring you home and let Potter take care of the rest. But, as you can see, he is, once more, nowhere in sight.”

It was the truth. Malfoy had done the right thing, for once. And, if he hadn’t helped her, heaven knows where she would have been right now.

“Thank you, Malfoy.” Hermione whispered, and the smile slid off of Malfoy’s face.

There was so much incredible sadness in Hermione’s voice that not even Malfoy could make fun of her at that moment. With a sigh, he kicked off his shoes and sat down next to her - at an appropriate distance, Hermione noted - on the bed.

“Doesn’t it ever get lonely, Granger?”

Hermione didn’t have to ask what he meant, and her sigh answered him. “At times, yes. But I know Harry loves me. He’s just really busy with his job.”

“And what about you? Do you like waiting around for him all the time?”

“It bothered me at first… but I eventually got used to it. I understand that his job comes first before me. I respect him for that.”

Malfoy let out a low whistle. “You are so messed up, Granger.”

Hermione laughed. “It’s my life, Malfoy, not yours.”

“By the way, do you want some soup or something? I don’t think you’ve eaten since the morning, am I correct?”

Hermione nodded and watched in a daze as Malfoy disappeared down the stairs and came back up with a hot bowl of soup and some bread.

“What’s with all this?” Hermione laughed. “Is this some crazed plan to get me into bed, Malfoy?”

Malfoy winked at her. “I’ve already got you in bed, Granger. Now I’m just trying to soften you up.”

Hermione laughed once more, and watched as Malfoy sat back down beside her, this time not so far away.

It was an amazing feeling talking to Malfoy; though they both had work the next day, they continued chatting until the early morning. It was more of Malfoy asking questions and Hermione answering them, but she didn’t mind. It was a nice feeling, having someone listen to her for once. Hermione had almost forgotten what it felt like.

As Malfoy was putting on his shoes before finally leaving, his head turned around the room, and he frowned. “Where in the world is that magnificent boyfriend of yours who cares about you so much? Work shouldn’t keep him out this late.”

Hermione shrugged, and Malfoy knew her answer even before the words came out of her mouth. “His work keeps him busy.”

There was something wrong about all of this, but Malfoy said nothing. He looked at Hermione lying on the bed, and his heartbeat slowed down as he saw how vulnerable and soft she looked in her purple pajamas. He felt strangely unwilling to go, and had the odd feeling that Hermione wouldn’t mind if he stayed.

“See you later, Granger,” Malfoy finally said, tearing his eyes away from Hermione. “I’m still your boss, and therefore you better not be late.”

“I won’t be, Malfoy,” Hermione replied with a smile, but it was already too late. Malfoy was gone, and she was alone once more.
Black Chemise by youngrowling
The sun woke Hermione up and she quickly jumped out of bed. The clock in front of her told her she had exactly thirty minutes to get ready for work.

Rushing to the shower, Hermione squealed as the first few drops of cold water hit her bare skin. She showered quickly and wrapped her hair in a towel as she got out. Reaching for her toothbrush, she turned around when she heard the bedroom door open, and peeked out the bathroom door just in time to see Harry collapse on their bed.

“Are you okay, Harry?” Hermione asked, quickly throwing on her bathrobe before approaching him.

Harry looked up in surprise. “Aren’t you supposed to be working now?”

Hermione looked at the clock. Fifteen minutes to go.

“I’ll be going soon,” she replied, looking back at him as Harry tried to bury himself in their bed sheets.

“Rough night?” she asked, returning to the bathroom to start brushing her teeth.

“What?” Harry asked, his eyes widening.

Hermione peered at him through the bathroom door. “I asked if you had had a rough night.”

Harry rubbed his eyes and collapsed back down. “Yeah… something like that. Yeah.”

Hermione nodded and rinsed her mouth. Moving back into their bedroom, she opened her closet and was about to reach for her usual blouse and skirt, when something caught her eye. It was the black chemise Ginny had given her last Christmas which Hermione had yet to wear. It was racier than Hermione was generally used to, but today seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it out.

After putting it on, Hermione stood in front of the mirror and grinned. Not bad.

She turned around to see if Harry was watching her, but he had already burrowed deep into their bed sheets. Smiling to herself, Hermione got into bed beside him and kissed Harry’s cheek. She ran her hand down his shoulder and watched as Harry lifted his head to watch her.

Taking a deep breath, Hermione inched her hand lower, moving from Harry’s shoulder, to his chest and to his stomach. Just as she was about to move another inch lower, Harry caught her hand.

“You’re going to be late, Hermione…” he whispered, laying his face back into the pillow.

Hermione glanced at the clock and sighed. Five minutes to go.

“Can’t you come home a little earlier tonight, Harry? Just this once?” Hermione whispered back. “I’ll make dinner for us.”

Harry looked up at Hermione’s face and gave her a small smile. “I’ll try.”

Hermione grinned back and kissed his forehead.

“Thank you, Harry,” she said, kissing him one more time before the urgency of getting to work on time finally got to her. Rushing up from the bed, Hermione ran into the fireplace.

“The Ministry of Magic!”








“How about this one?” Malfoy asked, holding up a piece of parchment. It was already noon, and Malfoy had spent the whole day quizzing Hermione on different grants, asking if they should be approved or rejected.

“It’s from a Mrs. Parkon,” Malfoy started as Hermione listened. “I wish to ask for one hundred fifty Galleons to give protection to my son Darwin, who is now going into his eighth year of Hogwarts. The reason for this-”

“It’s a fake,” Hermione answered quickly, cutting Malfoy off.

“And why do you say that, Granger?”

Hermione smiled at Malfoy from across his office desk. “There are only seven years of Hogwarts.”

At that, Malfoy smiled back. “You’re actually getting better. You’re not a lost case, after all…well, you do have me for a teacher. That probably helped you a lot.”

Hermione laughed. “Are you done testing me, then? And can you say that I passed out loud just so I can hear you say it?”

Malfoy snickered and stood up. “I’m done testing you for the day, Granger. And, thanks to my excellent coaching, you were able to pass.”

Hermione grinned as Malfoy started arranging his papers. “What else do you want me to do today, Malfoy?” Hermione asked and Malfoy lifted his eyes up to see her bending over his desk.

Ordinarily, that wouldn’t have bothered Malfoy a bit, but the chemise Hermione was wearing today didn’t have such a modest neckline. Malfoy’s voice caught in his throat as the faint outline of a curve peeped through. It took more than the usual effort to look away.

“Organize the files in that room over there, Granger.” Malfoy croaked, pointing to the room adjacent to the office they were currently in. “By date.”

Hermione nodded and waited for Malfoy to say something else. When he didn’t, Hermione took it as her cue to get going, and left the room.

“God,” Malfoy mumbled to himself as he sank back into his chair.

What in the world is wrong with me? Malfoy thought, putting his head into his hands. This was all supposed to be fun. I’m supposed to be making Granger miserable and having fun doing it, and she’s supposed to hate me just as much as I hate her. What the fuck happened?

Malfoy groaned at the soft knock on his office door and prayed it wasn’t Hermione. “Come in.”

A pair of legs appeared first, followed by a short black skirt. Malfoy’s eyes wandered up to see the new, young, and incredibly beautiful receptionist Mandy as she walked in and locked the door behind her. She smiled at Malfoy as she faced him, and Malfoy smiled back as he saw her tight white sweater.

Maybe this is just what I need. Malfoy thought as Mandy sauntered up to him and sat down on the desk in front of Malfoy. Her skirt lifted up several more inches, and Malfoy watched as his hand began moving up her left leg.

“You’re not busy, are you?” Mandy asked in a soft voice, moving closer to Malfoy’s hands.

Malfoy smiled. “Well… I am supposed to be finishing these reports today.”

Mandy pouted and got up from the desk to sit on Malfoy.

“Can’t that wait for a few minutes?” she said in a purr as her tongue moved into Malfoy’s ear.

Malfoy felt the stirrings in his pants heating up as Mandy’s hand opened his pant zipper and slipped inside.

“Come on, old man.” Mandy purred, with a smile. “Can’t you keep up with a young body anymore?”

Malfoy laughed at her bluntness, picked her up, and laid her down on his desk. “I’m not the kind of person you would like to challenge, sweetheart.”

Mandy smiled as she wrapped her legs around him, pulling Malfoy on top of her. “Give me your best shot,.”







Mandy got down from the desk an hour later. Her hair was damp with sweat, and her skirt was wrinkled. She was still breathing unevenly as she watched Malfoy rearrange his tie, smirking at her.

“I did warn you.”

Mandy grinned at Malfoy and pushed him against the wall.

“Once more?” she begged, grinding her body into his.

Malfoy snickered. “It’s amazing how many times I’ve heard you say that this afternoon.”

Malfoy slipped his fingers back into her sweater, and Mandy’s moans filled the office. She groaned as his fingers retreated and pouted her lips.

“Please….?”

Malfoy smiled. “I think you’ve had enough for the day, Mandy. You can barely stand as it is.”

Mandy looked at her wobbling legs. “Let’s lie down, then.”

Holding her arm, Malfoy lead her to his office door. “Get back to work. I’m sure you’re starting to be missed.”

Mandy sighed, but arranged her skirt. “Tomorrow, then?”

Malfoy winked at her as he closed the office door. “We’ll see.”

He listened to her high-heeled footsteps as Mandy walked away before collapsing against the closed office door. It was all so wonderful - better than any he had had in a long time. But the reason for why it was so good bothered Malfoy immensely…

While he was running his fingers through Mandy’s hair, Malfoy had imagined brown, bushy curls, instead of Mandy’s own sleek black hair. Her eyes hadn’t been the sharp green they actually were either, but warm, chocolaty brown instead. Worst of all, as Malfoy had been undressing her, it hadn’t been the white sweater he had been taking off but rather a black chemise.

Just as his luck would have it, another knock on the door filled his silent office at that moment. Malfoy quickly moved away from the door and pretended to be studying his bookshelves as Hermione entered.

“Malfoy?” she asked tentatively.

His cool expression was back in place as he turned around at Hermione. “Yes, Granger? What is it?”

Hermione looked down at her feet, and Malfoy bit his lip at how adorable he found her.

“Do you think I could go home early tonight?”

Malfoy smirked. “Do I take it that Potter is finally coming home, then?”

Hermione rolled her eyes at him. “You are really the most interfering boss I have ever worked for, Malfoy. But yes, Harry said he’ll try.”

“He’ll try?” Malfoy repeated. “And, after that, you really think he’s coming home earlier?”

“I do,” Hermione answered unblinkingly.

Malfoy laughed. “Okay, Granger, you can go home early.”

Hermione smiled. “Oh, thank you, Malfoy. I swear, I’ll work extra hard tomorrow. I’ll even-“

“On one condition,” Malfoy interrupted; Hermione’s expression immediately changed to one of suspicion.

“What?”

Malfoy smiled at her as he reached for his cloak. “I’ll come with you. I’ll leave as soon as Potter arrives, I promise.”

Hermione opened her mouth to retort, but Malfoy stopped her once more.

“Do you really want to change the mind of your kind boss “ the one, I might remind you, just let you of work early for a personal matter?”

Hermione hissed. “Leave when Harry arrives.”

Malfoy smiled. “I promise.”








I shouldn’t have come. The phrase had been running around and around Malfoy’s mind as soon as they had arrived in the apartment that Harry and Hermione shared. The moment they had stepped foot into the kitchen, Hermione had immediately started working, not even bothering to change out of her work clothes.

It was exquisite torture to watch her bend over the table to wave her wand at the beating eggs, revealing that beautiful curve to Malfoy over and over again. He knew he shouldn’t be watching, but now that they were out of the office with nothing else to distract him, Malfoy found it nearly impossible to look away.

“Just go sit somewhere, Malfoy.” Hermione said, looking up. “I’ll be putting this in the oven soon.”

Malfoy nodded and walked towards where Hermione had waved vaguely. He found himself in their living room a moment later, and smiled as he looked around.

Everything is so… so…Granger, Malfoy thought to himself, surveying the immaculately clean room. It wasn’t that large, but it was cozy. There was a fireplace on the wall adjacent to the door, and Malfoy took out his wand and pointed at it. Moments later, a crackling fire lit up the room even more.

“I’m done for now, Malfoy.” Hermione started as she walked into the room, and smiled when she saw the fire. “Another method for seduction, I presume?”

Malfoy snickered. “Don’t get too excited, Granger. But I would rather like to see the look on Potter’s face when he arrives and sees us both in all our glory.”

Hermione rolled her eyes at Malfoy as they both sat down on the sofa in front of the fire.

“Do you think he’ll finally scratch that itch of yours tonight, Granger?”

Malfoy caught Hermione’s arm before she managed to punch his shoulder.

“This is really none of your business, Malfoy,” Hermione replied, twisting her arm away from him.

“I take that as a yes?” Malfoy continued, his smile making the blood rush to Hermione’s cheeks. “Is the itch becoming quite unbearable, then?”

“Malfoy!” Hermione shrieked, her face hot. “You have no right to ask me these kinds of questions!”

Malfoy laughed. “I just want you to know I’m here for you, Granger. In case Potter doesn’t show up.”

“He’ll show, okay?” Hermione retorted. “Don’t worry about that.”

Malfoy simply shrugged his shoulders. “So… how are you planning to entertain me until Potter arrives?”

“If I remember correctly, Malfoy, I didn’t actually invite you here,” Hermione replied, annoyed. “You invited yourself.”

Malfoy smirked. “I know that, Granger. But I’m still your guest. Even more importantly, I’m your boss. You don’t want to disappoint me with your lack of social skills, do you?”

“You are unbelievable!” Hermione shrieked, shaking her head at Malfoy.

Malfoy pretended to think. “You know, when I imagined you saying those words, the scene was quite different. For one, we were both naked.”

Hermione threw her hands up into the air. “I give up. You (and your perverted mind) win.”

Malfoy laughed and looked at his watch. “What time is Potter supposed to come home again, Granger?”

Hermione bit her lip. “He used to come home at six in the evening before he got busy.”

It was already ten past seven, but Malfoy said nothing. They continued talking, and Malfoy found it easier to only glance at Hermione occasionally as she spoke. He was staring at her at first, but he noticed his eyes kept dropping to that infuriating curve of hers.

Her laugh was also annoyingly adorable, and Malfoy found himself telling her stories of his past assistants just to keep her laughing. He stopped only when he caught Hermione looking at the clock on top of the mantelpiece, and turned to find out it was already nine.

Malfoy was about to joke on Potter’s “promptness” when he caught sight of a single tear as it rolled down Hermione’s cheek.

“He’s not coming, is he?”

Her voice completely tore Malfoy’s heart into pieces.

“Come here, Granger.” Malfoy’s eyes opened wide in surprise at the words that had come out of his mouth and was even more surprised to see Hermione lean into him. As soon as her cheek touched his sweater, Hermione started sobbing.

“He probably just got caught up at work and couldn’t make it, Granger,” Malfoy whispered, unable to keep his hand from running up and down her hair. She was so soft, so completely vulnerable. Malfoy had thought it was impossible for him to hate Potter more than he already did, but, at that moment, it seemed that Malfoy’s hatred for him had increased twofold.

Malfoy continued whispering to Hermione and rubbed her shoulders in an attempt to make her stop crying.

“Am I re-really that ugly, that he can’t even stand to eat dinner with me?” Hermione finally croaked out.

At that, Malfoy pulled Hermione even closer and put his finger under her chin to force her to look at him. “You are far from ugly, Granger. Believe me.”

And with that, Malfoy kissed her. It was a far cry from the aggressive kisses Malfoy was used to - this was soft, innocent and amazingly sweet. The kiss lasted like that for a long time; nothing but their soft breathing could be heard throughout the whole apartment. It was Hermione who finally pulled away, and she stared breathlessly into Malfoy’s eyes. Malfoy wanted to kiss her again, and he knew from the look in her eyes that she wanted him to kiss her just as badly. But she was cautious, and very hesitant, and Malfoy knew why.

With a sigh, he pulled Hermione away from him and stood up from the couch. “Solve your problems with Potter first, Granger. I would hate to come between the two of you.”

The sarcasm in his voice made Hermione smile, and she wiped the remaining tears from her face. “You’re right, Malfoy, as usual.”

Malfoy grinned. They stepped out of the living room and Hermione handed Malfoy his cloak, which he slowly put on.

“Malfoy, I-“

Malfoy silenced Hermione with another amazingly sweet kiss and gently pushed her against the fireplace. He softly ran his hands down the sides of Hermione’s body; his touch was the lightest whisper Hermione had ever felt.

With a groan, Malfoy pulled away, straightening his cloak.

“You’re far from ugly, Granger,” he repeated, caressing Hermione’s cheek before stepping into the fireplace to go home. “You might even be the most beautiful woman I have ever met.”

Hermione’s eyes widened; before she could say anything, however, Malfoy disappeared in a blink.
End Notes:
to my beta reader, DracoGurlFurever, once more, i give thee my eternal thanks.
Snow by youngrowling
Author's Notes:
thank you once more to my beta reader. without you, none of this would have been possible.
It was their 23rd day of working together, and Hermione had already left after another day of excellent work.

Draco himself was putting on his cloak, and was about to step into the fireplace, when he suddenly turned to the window and stopped. He didn’t know what it was about the snow falling gently from the sky that attracted him, but he found it amazingly beautiful. Stepping out of the fireplace, he reached into the closet adjacent to his office door and pulled out his winter coat to do something he hadn’t done in a long while.

Draco was walking home.

He stepped out of his office and into the elevator a minute later. Another wizard was beside him, but Draco didn’t even notice him until he spoke up.

“How is she doing so far?”

Draco turned to find the Minister himself smiling at him, waiting for a response.

“Ms. Granger, sir?” Draco asked, continuing only after getting a nod from Scrimgeour. “She has been a wonderful assistant so far. With me prepping her, she should be able to stand her own at the Ministry.”

“I presume what you are telling me, Malfoy,” Scrimgeour began, “is that this Ms. Granger has exceptional talent, and that she has done everything you have asked her to do “ and done it correctly - so far?”

Draco nodded. “Indeed, sir. That’s exactly what I’m saying.”

Scrimgeour nodded. They were silent for a minute as the elevator continued jerking quickly from left to right and up to down, picking up different wizards and witches who entered and left silently, after greeting the Minister.

“You have been training her, then, Malfoy?” Scrimgeour asked, continuing after Draco nodded yes. “Then I assume she is now clear on all the rules here at the Ministry?”

Draco nodded again. “Quite so, Minister. I have found Ms. Granger to be quite a fast learner. She knows all the rules and regulations by heart, and has followed all of them ever since I’ve introduced them to her.”

Scrimgeour laughed. “That’s exactly what I wanted to hear, Malfoy. I see you have been an outstanding boss. If the girl is as brilliant as you are having me think, then I think a promotion for both of you may be in order.”

“Thank you, sir.” Draco replied, smiling. “I’m sure Ms. Granger will be very thankful as well, once I tell her.”

Draco was already imagining the way Hermione’s face would light up when he told her he had saved her from her old news-clipping-and-stapling days. Nothing could stop the fantasies that immediately followed that thought, and Draco struggled to continue listening to Scrimgeour, who had started talking once more.

“Oh, you don’t have to tell her, Malfoy.” Scrimgeour assured him, with a small smile as he adjusted his coat to get ready to step out on his floor. “I’ll let her new boss take care of that.”

Draco’s eyes opened wide; he followed Scrimgeour as the Minister stepped out of the elevator.

“New boss, sir?” Draco asked, his cool façade fading away slowly. “But I thought that, when Ms. Granger was promoted, she would still be under my department?”

Scrimgeour nodded. “That was indeed how it was supposed to be, Malfoy. But things have changed. After this month, Ms. Granger will be promoted to the Office of Wizarding Affairs. She will be working under Mr. Lucas. You know him, don’t you?”

Indeed Draco did know him. How could he forget the man who had killed ten wizards in one night due to a faulty tip he had received? Only his money and name had saved him from being sent to Azkaban, and now the snake was working for the Ministry. Draco knew he was far off from being a saint himself, but never in his life had he killed a person. What more, one of Draco’s close friends had been killed during the incident, and Draco had never forgiven Lucas for that.

“I do, sir,” Draco replied, realizing that he had lost the Minister in the crowd that had gathered on the floor he was currently on.

Black cloaks and messenger bubbles were pouring from every direction, and Draco just managed to pull away as he stepped back into the elevator. Thoughts of Lucas and Hermione working together swarmed into his mind, and Draco had no idea how he made it to the ground floor of the Ministry.

Having forgotten all about the beautiful snow he had been so mesmerized by just minutes ago, Draco found himself walking through the slowly falling snowflakes, not paying any attention to where he was going.

Lucas and Hermione. Hermione and Lucas. The words sounded so wrong together. There was no way that Draco would allow his Hermione to work for that pervert. He would rather die than-

“Wait a minute.” Draco said to himself, stopping in the middle of the snow-covered road. Had he just referred to Granger as his Hermione?

This is too bloody messed up, Draco thought as he rubbed his eyes. I need a drink.

His cloak swished around him, and Draco’s feet touched the snow-covered doorstep of the Three Broomsticks a few seconds later. Draco winced, quickly stepping inside. He had forgotten how much he disliked Apparating.

The atmosphere was warm and homey. Draco felt instantly relaxed and even managed to smile as the waitress took his order. Several pretty girls were watching Draco from their places at the bar, but Draco merely smiled at them in a way that told them he simply was not in the mood.

His Hermione.

Draco couldn’t help repeating the words in his mind. It was astounding how right they sounded.

Draco sipped on the Butterbeer that had just arrived and allowed his mind to wonder of ways to get Hermione back under him.

In more ways than one, Draco thought, chucking into his drink.

The last drop of his second Butterbeer had just vanished when Draco spotted a familiar shape at the bar. There was no mistaking the still-untidy jet-black hair - when the figure turned around, the glasses and scar assured Draco that it was indeed Potter he was seeing.

The girls in the bar noticed as well; with one nod from their “leader,” they were all over him in a minute. Draco snickered as he watched Harry politely swerve away from their young, half-clothed bodies in order to check the wall clock floating magically above the golden Butterbeer bottles on the shelves. Draco noticed the time, too, and frowned when he saw it was almost 8 o’clock. Hermione had probably been waiting for Harry at home for hours already.

Out of pure instinct, Draco stood up to approach Harry, when Harry suddenly picked up his coat and left.

Where do you think you’re going, Potter? Draco thought as he followed him outside the Three Broomsticks. The several wizards and witches hustling about in the road hid Draco from Harry’s view, and he was able to follow him for several turns. As the number of people lessened, Draco was forced to use a Disillusionment charm to keep his cover.

After the feeling of having an egg cracked on his head faded and once he was completely camouflaged, Draco followed at a faster pace. The snow crunched beneath his feet as he fought to catch up with Harry. As though sensing Draco there, Harry turned around. Draco quickly looked behind him to see if his footsteps were visible in the snow, but, thankfully, a thin sheet of snow has already made them nearly impossible to distinguish.

Shrugging his shoulders, Harry continued walking. Shivering as the cold breeze embraced his body, Draco grimaced as Harry took a left, stepping into another village. Though Draco had only been following Harry for a few minutes, the cold made it seem much longer. He breathed a sigh of relief as Harry finally stepped onto the doorstep of a simple-looking apartment building. The relief lasted for only a second, though; if Harry entered the building, Draco realized his snooping would be useless if he wasn’t able to catch a glimpse of who Harry had gone to visit.

But how… Draco’s glove-covered hand scratched his chin as his eyes wandered around the building’s façade. The best bet he had at seeing the person Harry had come for was to wait outside until Harry left. He couldn’t very well barge into whichever room they were in, after all. Moreover, the building was protected with various charms that made it impossible for a person on the outside to see into the windows or climb on the walls; even being camouflaged didn’t help Draco now. Apartments in the wizarding world nowadays were charmed in such a way that only the residents of the room could open the door to let someone in, and no way was Draco going to try that.

Sighing, Draco sat down under a nearby bench and removed the Disillusionment charm with a flick of his wand. This better be worth the wait.





Draco didn’t have to wait long. About 30 minutes after entering the building, Harry reappeared on the doorstep, leading a female figure by the hand. Draco was both annoyed and thankful for the swirling snow that separated them; he was thankful for it because it kept him hidden well enough for the pair not to recognize or even notice him, but the snow was also annoying, for it prevented Draco from making out the face of the woman Harry was with.

Laughing, the two walked off together, hand in hand, and Draco stood up to follow them once more. Shivering, Draco prayed for their walk to be short; his prayer was soon answered. The couple entered a small coffee shop quite near the apartment building. Hesitating for only a moment, Draco followed them inside and sat at a table in the corner of the coffee shop, where he could stay hidden but still have a clear view of them.

The waitress at Harry’s table was temporarily blocking Draco’s view of the couple, and Draco waited impatiently for her to leave. The timing was absolutely perfect. As soon as the waitress left their table, the woman removed her black snow cap, and a cascade of red locks fell over her shoulder. The color of her hair was no ordinary red, it was fiery red, and there were only a handful of witches Draco knew who possessed that kind of hair.

As if on cue, Ginny Weasley turned around to look across her shoulder, and Draco immediately pretended to concentrate on his menu.

Perhaps this is only a meeting of two friends, Draco thought, peeking over his menu just in time to see Harry reach across the table to give Ginny a quick kiss.

Friendly peck? Draco asked himself. I think not.

As if to prove his point, Ginny returned the kiss in a way that erased all the innocence from their actions.

Draco shook his head in disgust. How in the world could Potter even imagine kissing Weasley when someone as beautiful as Granger was waiting for him on hands and knees at home?

Draco watched as the pair exchanged saliva for a few more minutes before the disgust finally took over. He left the coffee shop inconspicuously and went to lean against the light post outside. Watching his breath turn white from the cold, Draco felt hatred and pity rush through his veins. How in the world was he going to tell this to Hermione?

No, Draco thought, with a chuckle.

How in the world was he going to tell this to his Hermione?






Despite the small bead of hope that had formed in Draco’s stomach, when the next day arrived, Draco was nervous. He had no idea how Hermione would react or even how he would tell her, and it became even more difficult to do so when Hermione arrived; the smile she gave Draco made his heartstrings moan.

I’ll do it later, Draco decided. She looks too beautiful to be sad now.

Draco returned her smile and motioned to her usual seat across from his desk. Before he could start, however, Hermione opened her mouth.

“Malfoy,” she said, with a gentle glare. “I just met the Minister outside your office.”

Her tone was leading, and Draco suddenly remembered what made him go to Hogsmeade last night in the first place. Lucas and Hermione.

“Ah…” Draco murmured. “The Minister has informed you, then?”

Hermione gave a small nod.

“But… why, Malfoy?” she asked in a tiny voice. “I thought I was doing fine. Why did you switch me to a different department?”

Draco looked at her in surprise. “I wasn’t the one to make the decision, Granger. For some reason, the Minister wanted you under Lucas. I was going to see him today to ask him why.”

“Really? You didn’t want me out of your office, then?” Hermione asked, a smile forming at the corner of her lips.

Draco smirked. “Why would I want to do that, now? I couldn’t torment you as easily if you weren’t here to endure it…”

Hermione laughed, and Draco watched as she sunk back into her usual casual stance. Draco groaned silently. The fact that Hermione had been worried that he didn’t want anything to do with her anymore was so…endearing.

I have to do this now.

“Granger,” Draco called; Hermione had been about to stand up to go on with her usual tasks. “I need to talk to you.”

He waited for her to sit back down before continuing.

“I saw Potter last night.”

Even from across the desk, Draco felt Hermione’s spine stiffen.

“And?”

“Where did he tell you he was going?”

Hermione’s voice was clipped as she replied. “He was at work, as usual.”

Draco shook his head. “He was at Hogsmeade, Granger.”

“Well,” Hermione said, with a shrug, “maybe he wanted to take a quick break.”

“He wasn’t alone, Granger,” Draco replied, adding stress to his words to make her see his point, but Hermione simply waved it off.

“Maybe it was a business companion of his, Malfoy. And since when do you have the right to follow my boyfriend around, anyway?”

“I wasn’t following him, Granger,” Draco lied. “I just happened to be there when he arrived - with his companion.”

At that, Hermione stood up. “I will not sit here while you lie about Harry like that, Malfoy. What are you getting out of this, anyway? A laugh?”

Draco stood up as well. “Do you really think I would make this up, Granger? How cold do you think I am?”

“Well, then why are you lying to me?” Hermione asked hotly.

“I’m not, Granger,” Draco replied, taking a slow step towards her. “I was there. I saw him. He wasn’t alone.”

“How did you get to Hogsmeade, anyway, Malfoy?” Hermione asked, refusing to see the point Draco was painfully trying to make.

“I was walking around, Granger,” Draco replied, which was somewhat true. “I got cold, so I Apparated. It’s not against the law, you know.”

“Aha!” Hermione shrieked, pointing her finger at Draco. “You hate Apparating! You are lying to me!”

Draco shook his head. “I’m not lying to you, Granger. Why are you having such a hard time believing me?”

“Harry would never do anything of that sort,” Hermione whispered, more to herself than to Draco. “Harry is good. Utterly good.”

Draco neared Hermione and placed one hand on her shoulder. “Unless snogging Ginny Weasley in full view of a coffee shop full of witnesses is your definition of good, Granger, I beg to differ with you.”

Hermione gasped and slapped Draco.

“Take that back!” she yelled. “Admit that you’re lying!”

Draco’s left cheek was stinging from the slap, but he continued to shake his head. “I’m telling you the truth, Granger. I’m the only one whose been telling you the truth.”

“I don’t believe you,” Hermione whispered, tears glistening in her eyes; they were on the verge of falling.

“Ask him for yourself, then, Granger,” Draco retorted, as his hand massaged his cheek. “Ask him why he has been coming home late, night after night, for three years. Ask him why, in those three years, he has never even laid a finger on you and your body. Ask him, Granger. I dare you to.”

Hermione shrieked once more and grabbed the wand from her back pocket.

“Stop it, Malfoy!” she shouted, pointing her wand at him shakily. Tears were blurring her vision, but she could still faintly see the outline of his form. “Take it back!”

By this time, Draco had his wand out, too, and he held it steadily at Hermione. “Don’t make me hurt you, Granger. I am not lying. It is you who simply refuses to believe me.”

A jet of red light erupted from the tip of Hermione’s wand, but Draco dodged it easily. There was now a small hole on the painting behind Draco’s desk, but Draco didn’t even glance at it.

“Go home, Granger. Ask him yourself.”

Hermione shrieked and set another jet of light at him. Draco dodged it as well, and watched as Hermione ran out of his office, her tears falling onto his green carpet.









He’s lying, Hermione screamed in her mind as she stumbled into her apartment.

Harry was still there, for she had only been gone two hours. Upon seeing the redness of her face, Harry gasped and leapt out of his chair.

“What did he do to you, Hermione?” he asked, embracing her, but Hermione fought him off.

“Why are you never home?” she yelled, watching Harry as his face turned from surprise to guilt.

“I’m really busy at work… I’ve explained this to you already, Hermione,” he replied. “What’s the matter?”

“Why are you never home?” Hermione repeated. “Why didn’t you even come home that night I asked you specially? I prepared for that, Harry! And you never came! You never even apologized for not coming.”

“Hermione, God… I forgot. I’m so-“

“Do you love me, Harry?” Hermione asked, cutting him off in mid-apology. “Answer me honestly.”

“I do, Hermione.” Harry replied, trying to hug her again, but Hermione pushed him away.

“No, Harry. I mean, do you love me as more than a sister? Do you love me the way you love Ginny?”

Harry’s mouth opened and closed; that was all Hermione needed to know.

“How-“

“I’ve always suspected, Harry,” Hermione replied, her heart collapsing into a puddle of tears.

Harry remained speechless for a minute, then finally sighed. “I’m so, so, sorry Hermione. It’s just that, when you and I met that night - the night you caught Ron cheating on you - we were both so vulnerable. I wanted to protect you… I thought maybe I could learn to love you over time.”

Each word was like a blade directed straight into Hermione’s heart, and she tried to control the flow of tears that were streaming down her face.

“I tried, Hermione, I really did… but then Ginny called me…”

Stop, just stop talking, Hermione begged silently, closing her eyes. This is not going to happen to me again.

“She said what she did was a mistake, Hermione. And I realized then why I just couldn’t fall in love with you… I was still madly in love with Ginny, but I had just been trying to hide it. When I met up with her again, it just felt so right… but I knew I couldn’t leave you, Hermione. You were still a wreck after what Ron had done to you, so I stuck around, waiting for the perfect time to tell you.”

This is a dream. I’m going to wake up and realize I’ve been dreaming.

“And I guess I waited too long…”

Hermione opened her eyes and found that Harry was crying as well. “Oh, Harry…”

She hugged him out of pure instinct.

“I’m so sorry, Hermione,” Harry repeated, over and over. “I just couldn’t hurt you. But I guess, in waiting to tell you, I hurt you even more. I do love you…so much. But…”

“…not the way you love Ginny, right?”

Harry nodded, and Hermione tried to wipe the tears off her face with no success.

“That’s also why I’ve never been able to… you know…”

Hermione understood; Harry couldn’t touch her the way she had wanted to be touched, for he looked at her as a sister, and brothers didn’t do that to sisters.

“I understand, Harry.”

Harry sighed and tried to hug Hermione again, but she edged away. “I never meant to cheat on you, Hermione… I would never in a million years dream of hurting you.”

Hermione simply nodded, saying nothing as the tears continued falling from her eyes.

“Do you want me to leave?”

Hermione nodded slowly. “I think that would be best, Harry.”

She saw Harry nod out of the corner of her eyes and realized she couldn’t bear watching him pack up his things. “I’m going for a walk.”

She walked towards the door and turned back at Harry, who was watching her as he wiped the tears off of his face.

“I hope you two will be happy, Harry.”

There was genuine sincerity in her voice, and Harry gave her a sad smile. “Thank you, Hermione. I really am sorry. For everything. I know what I did was really bloody stupid… but I just couldn’t seem to find a way out. I can’t believe I ended up doing what Ron did to you already...”

Hermione simply nodded once more. “Don’t worry about it. Bye, Harry.”

“Bye, Hermione. I love you.”

The words tore at Hermione’s chest, and she gave him another nod before closing the door behind her.

She walked into the cold street. It was snowing once more, and Hermione didn’t even have a coat on to protect her, but she didn’t care. The biting cold distracted her from the pain of being rejected once more. More tears were falling now, and more rapidly. Finally, when she couldn’t take it anymore, Hermione collapsed in tears on a nearby bench.

She must have been crying for only a minute when somebody picked her up.

“Are you bloody mad, Granger?” Draco yelled, covering her with his coat. “What in the world were you thinking, coming out in the cold wearing only that? You could catch pneumonia! Why, you could die!”

Draco’s short outburst prevented him from seeing Hermione’s broken-hearted face. When he finally looked at her properly, his shoulders sank, and he hugged her to him.

“He told you, didn’t he?”

Hermione didn’t reply, but Draco felt her nod into his shoulder. He hugged her closer.

“It’s going to be okay…Hermione,” Draco whispered to her.

Hermione looked at him through her teary eyes. “And what makes you say that…Draco?”

“You were never right for each other, anyway,” Draco continued whispering. “He was way too boring for you. You deserve so much better.”

Hermione gave a watery chuckle. “What if this is it, Draco? What if this is all I get? What if I’m one of those unlucky women who never find love, and I end up old and wrinkled with only Crookshanks to keep me company?”

It was Draco’s turn to chuckle. “Trust me on this, Hermione. That will never happen.”

“And what makes you say that, Draco? You’re not a Seer, are you?”

Draco smiled into Hermione’s hair. “No, I’m not.”

“Then how can you be sure then, Draco?”

“Because I’m here, Hermione, and I’m ready to take care of you.”

Draco wiped a tear from her cheek, his gaze never shifting from her brown eyes as she looked up at him.

“I will always be here.”

Hermione moved back into his shoulder and continued crying; her body was shaking less rapidly now, though, and her breathing was near to normal.

“Can I count on you to keep that promise?” Hermione whispered silently.

Draco held her more closely. “You have my word, Hermione. You already have my heart.”

The wind blew just then, and the last sentence never reached Hermione’s ears, but Draco continued holding her, not minding that she still didn’t know.

“I’ll always be here.”
Dreaming by youngrowling
Hermione was completely alone as she stretched out her hands to try to feel her way out of the darkness. Nothing made sense. Everything was black; not a single shade of color was visible.

“Help!” she finally yelled, falling to the floor from exhaustion.

Nobody came. A sudden flash of red light made Hermione turn around, and she saw Harry.

“Oh, Harry!” Hermione yelled, running to him. “I thought I was alone.”

Hermione hugged him, looking up at his face in happiness.

Harry stood unresponsive to her hug, smirking at her. “But you
are alone, Hermione.”

Ginny suddenly appeared beside him, dressed beautifully in a pale blue dress. She looked at Harry, who took her hand and kissed it tenderly.

“You are all alone.”

Backing up, Hermione covered her face with her hands; when she opened her eyes again, they were gone.

“Help…” she yelled again, but already knew no one would come. Another flash of light came from her left. This time, Hermione was hesitant to turn to the source, but this light was so bright that she was more than forced to look.

What she saw was an angel. Beautiful gray eyes peeked out at her from a stunningly flawless face with short blonde hair. The angel was male and as it reached out to her, Hermione obeyed and a feeling of security enveloped her instantly.

The angel mouthed something to her and seemed to be floating away.

“Don’t go!” Hermione yelled, holding on tight to his hand, and the angel smiled.

“Don’t worry, Hermione.” The angel spoke in a voice almost too beautiful for imagination. “I will always be here.”

With that, brightness flooded into the area, and Hermione smiled at the angel. Her eyes grew wide as she finally saw him clearly, and she backed up again.

“Malfoy?”






“Hermione? Wake up,” Draco whispered, shaking her gently. “Are you all right?”

Hermione finally opened her eyes and sucked in her breath when she saw Draco hovering over her, looking very much like he had in her dream.

“You were shaking,” Draco explained. “I’m sorry I woke you up. You can go back to sleep, if you want.”

“Where am I?” Hermione asked, sitting up slowly and looking around. The bed was in a beautiful room, decorated in a heavenly manner from floor to ceiling. Almost everything was immaculately white, although patches of color were visible here and there, giving the room a homey feel. Hermione’s eyes shifted to the huge fireplace in front of the bed, and she suddenly glanced at Draco lying beside her, her brown eyes large.

“What are you doing?” she shrieked, pulling the blanket up to her chest. “Why are we here?”

Draco rolled his eyes at her. “Relax, Granger; I didn’t touch you. I can control myself, you know.”

“But-“

“I brought you home after last night. You didn’t exactly have anywhere to go, Granger. I couldn’t very well send you back to Potter, now, could I?”

The events of last night flashed briefly in Hermione’s mind, and she sank back into bed. “I’m sorry.”

“For what?” Draco asked, propping himself up on his elbow to look at her more clearly.

“For being a burden,” Hermione replied, closing her eyes. “You have done so much more for me than I deserve, and all I keep doing is accusing you of being a rapist.”

Draco chuckled. “You do do that a lot. But you’re in no way a burden, Granger. I mean it.”

Hermione smiled as she opened her eyes and looked at Malfoy properly. It was then that she realized he wasn’t wearing a shirt. Hermione had heard from several sources how magnificent Draco’s chest was, but never had she imagined something so…sexy. Draco had a very lean body, but the firm muscles on his arms gave away how strong he actually was. Even without touching him, Hermione could tell that the muscles on his chest were just as hard, and his abs…

“Granger…”

Hermione tore her eyes away from Draco’s chest and felt herself blushing. “I was just… I wasn’t-“

Draco smiled and inched closer to Hermione on the bed. “I wasn’t objecting. I only wanted you to know that you simply cannot look at me like that and do nothing about it.”

Hermione backed away, but reached the edge of the bed and was stuck, at least for the moment. “I wasn’t looking at you.”

“Hmmm…” Draco murmured, inching even closer. “Mind if I ‘not look’ at you?”

Hermione sat up in bed once more as Draco’s hand stroked her shoulder. “Malfoy, I don’t… I… don’t we have to go to work?”

Draco smiled. “We do, actually, but I sent a letter to the office saying that I needed you.”

Hermione raised her eyebrow.

“For business matters,” Draco added, chuckling.

The corners of Hermione’s mouth turned up slightly. “Won’t you get into trouble for slacking off work?”

Draco shrugged. “We don’t have much to do, anyway. It’s our last day together, you know.”

Hermione nodded, feeling strangely sad at realizing that, after today, she wouldn’t be working with Draco any more.

“How are you feeling now, anyway?” Draco asked; the sudden concern in his voice making Hermione’s heart melt just a bit.

“I’m fine, Malfoy. Much thanks to you.”

Draco smiled and sat up as well, revealing more of his chest in the process. “Don’t I get a reward?”

At that, Hermione laughed. “You’re my boss, Malfoy. I really don’t think you should be talking to me like this. I could sue you for sexual harassment.”

Draco chuckled. “Let me do something more, then, if you going to sue me anyway. It will give you a stronger case, after all.”

Hermione giggled. “You’re horrible. You know that, right?”

Draco laughed and finally stood up. “I wouldn’t be me if I wasn’t.”

Hermione grinned at him and tried to keep her eyes from roaming over the firm muscles of his legs Draco was revealing.

Thank goodness for boxers, Hermione thought, keeping her eyes focused on his face with effort.

Draco noticed the strain in Hermione’s face and wondered if she had a headache.

“Are you sure you’re well, Granger? You can talk to me, you know. I didn’t bring you here mainly to try and seduce you.”

Hermione smiled again. “Why did you bring me here, then, Malfoy?”

“I told you before, Granger,” Draco replied in a soft voice. “You didn’t have anywhere else to go. I couldn’t drop you off in some hotel, where, God knows, countless horrible things could happen to you. And I would never in a million years send you back to Potter. You really do deserve better, Granger. And… well… I wanted to take care of you, help you heal.”

“But why, Malfoy?” Hermione asked, her voice an octave higher than usual. “Why do you care?”

Draco was silent a few seconds too long. “I promised, Granger. I’ll always be here for you.”

“Because?” Hermione continued.

Draco shrugged. “I’m a good person. I just don’t want you to get hurt. Is that really so hard to believe, Granger?”

Hermione smiled. “Coming from you? Yes.”

Draco laughed too and walked to the door. “I’m going to bring up something to eat. I know how you women like your comfort food.”

“Though…” Draco continued, with a sparkle in his eyes, glancing at Hermione. “You could really make do with losing a few pounds, Granger.”

Draco was ready for the pillow Hermione flung at him, and disappeared through the door. He reappeared a few minutes later, holding his wand towards the several floating plates of French toast, bread, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt and as many cold cuts as you can imagine that were currently leading their way inside the room. Several jars followed. Hermione couldn’t help but stare in amazement as bottle after bottle of jam, olives, sweet peaches, sliced pineapples and fruit cocktail floated into the room. Packages of every imaginable snack arrived next, and Hermione felt her mouth begin to water at the immense amount of chocolates she counted. Glasses came in next, and Hermione started laughing when the drinks floated past her, the most innocent of which was the orange juice.

“Is there more?” Hermione asked, still laughing.

Draco held up his wand higher and in came a bucket of ice. “There. I believe we now have everything.”

Hermione looked around the room and smiled at the vast amount of food now perched neatly on the bed.

“And where are we supposed to sit?”

Draco smirked. “Has my charm made you forget that we are wizards, Granger?”

With one more flick of his wand, the dishes raised a couple of inches of the bed and remained floating in the air. The bed was now free to sit, or lay on, with the food just in inches of reach.

“After you,” Draco continued, holding his arm out to her grandly.

Hermione smiled as she allowed him to lead her to the left side of the bed and blushed faintly when he moved in beside her. He was too close, his clean smell was overwhelmingly attractive, and Hermione couldn’t stop her eyes from wandering to his exposed chest once more.

“What?” Draco asked, noticing the pretty pink tinge on her cheeks.

Hermione shook her head; instead of answering, reached for the first thing she saw floating in front of her. Sliced pineapples.

Draco watched her as she took a bite of the pineapples and reached for one himself to distract him from the way she was taking adorably tiny bites of the fruit.

“Toast?” Draco asked, offering Hermione a piece of bread; she took it gratefully. She hadn’t realized how hungry she was until right now. She hadn’t eaten anything since lunch the day before, and she was absolutely famished.

“Thank you, Malfoy,” Hermione said, in a small voice, after a few minutes of silent, yet comfortable, eating.

“This is really nothing, Granger.” Draco replied, with a shrug. “I couldn’t very well let you starve. Then I would have never been able to tempt you.”

Hermione gave a small smile. “Not just for the food, Malfoy. For everything… for taking care of me. I really don’t deserve this.”

“Whatever made you think that, Granger?” Draco asked, pausing in the act of biting into a strawberry to look at her. “Of course you deserve to be taken care of. You’ve just been trying to find that in the wrong people.”

Really wrong people.” Hermione agreed in a small voice. “I feel like I’ve just lost my two best friends. First Ron and now Harry… maybe I’m just not girlfriend material.”

Draco snorted and gently stuffed a cherry into Hermione’s mouth. “You’re smarter than that, Granger. Don’t tell me you actually believe that.”

Hermione chewed on the cherry thoughtfully, barely noticing that Malfoy was feeding her. “I may be correct, Malfoy. I haven’t ever been in a really successful relationship. Both Ron and Harry found someone who satisfied their different needs, and it wasn’t me. I didn’t even do well with Krum. All he wanted was… um…”

“Your deliciously glorious body?” Draco answered for her, giving her a bite of chocolate.

“What else?” Hermione replied with a laugh, chewing on the grape Draco gave her next. They continued eating for a few more minutes, and Hermione was amazed at how comfortable she felt with him. More than once, she could feel her eyes dropping to his chest before quickly averting her gaze - little did she know that Draco was doing to exact same thing.

“You’re wrong though, Granger.” Draco suddenly spoke up, breaking the silence.

“About what, Malfoy?” Hermione asked, starting to reach for a bowl of porridge.

“Never has anyone been more suited for being a wonderful girlfriend than you.” Draco continued, looking deeply into her chocolate brown eyes. “For one, you are incredibly smart, and yet never have I caught you boasting. You’re strong and completely capable of yourself, but you’re also sweet and wonderfully soft. You can be tough at times when you need to be, but you have a brilliant heart of gold.”

As he spoke, Draco moved closer to Hermione. Hermione’s breath caught in her throat as she watched him leaning over her, his chest touching hers.

“You don’t have a dishonest bone in your body,” Draco continued, his voice gentle and beautifully silky. “You are as honest, as loyal, and as trustworthy as anyone could be. And, above all that, you are breathtakingly beautiful.”

Draco’s lips were mere inches from Hermione’s. He was so near that Hermione could clearly see the beads of sweat that had now formed on his lower lip and wondered if he could feel how fast her heart was beating. As though by instinct, Hermione sensed her eyelids lowering, and felt Draco’s soft lips on hers a second later. So amazing was this simple kiss that Hermione was sure the earth was shaking around them and pulled back to make sure everything was still in place. Draco’s smoldering eyes watched her, searching for her reaction. Hermione’s eyes locked with his as well, and she inhaled sharply when she felt his hand caress her cheek.

“You are so wonderful,” Draco said, in a soft voice, lowering his hand towards her chest.

Hermione caught his hand instantly and backed up. “Malfoy…”

Draco breathed out. “What’s the matter, Granger? How long are you going to try to pretend there is no chemistry between us?”

“I’m… I can’t-“

“Yes, you can.” Draco replied, watching as Hermione stood up from the bed. “Nothing is holding us back now, Granger.”

Draco followed Hermione out into the hall and backed her up against the wall. Hermione’s head moved frantically from left to right, searching for a way to escape.

“I’m not going to hurt you, Granger,” Draco continued. “I just want to give you the thing you’ve been itching for, for such a long time.”

“Malfoy, no… we can’t-“

“And why not, Granger?” Draco asked, pushing his body even closer to hers. “Don’t you even try to start telling me you don’t see how right this feels.”

“But you, I don’t want-“

“Granger, when will you understand that I am nothing like Potter? And I am definitely nothing like Weasley. I know when a good thing has come into my life and, unlike them, I’m not letting you go. Whether you like it or not.”

“But-“

“Shut up and let me kiss you, Granger.”

Hermione watched as Draco’s lips inched nearer to hers as though in slow motion. Every cell in her brain was screaming for her to stop, but every nerve in her body was telling her to pounce on him herself.

“Malfoy, I can’t.”

The words tumbled out of her mouth in a rushed mess just as Draco’s lips were about to touch hers.

“I just can’t.”

Hermione’s limbs ached in pain as she pushed Draco away and she watched him through tear filled eyes as she removed her wand from her pocket.

“Granger! Stop!”

Draco’s jumped at her one second too late and fell flat on the floor. Hermione was gone once more.







Hermione allowed herself a few seconds to calm down before completely collapsing on the white sofa in her apartment.

The sleeves of her sweater were soon wet with tears and as she tried to wipe off the remainder from her face, an annoying voice began grumbling in her head. A voice she could only distinguish as her own.

Now tell me, the voice began, what good did it do running out on him?

“It’s for the best.” Hermione replied, a sob catching in her throat as she did so. “You know how he is. This is Malfoy were talking about. Malfoy the womanizer. Malfoy the playboy. I’m not going to be just another girl that falls for him because of his incredibly good looks.”

But you love him for more than just his looks. Don’t lie to me. I’m your inner voice for crying out loud. I know you.

Hermione gave a sad smile to her empty apartment. “Of course I love him for more than just his looks.”

Hermione sighed as she played with a lock of her hair. “He’s amazingly sweet. He’s caring, honest and has an absolutely brilliant mind.”

Not to mention a completely gorgeous body.

At that Hermione laughed. “I admit, his body is gorgeous.”

Then why did you leave?

“I don’t know.” Hermione replied sadly, still talking to herself. “I think I’m just scared. I’m falling for him way too fast. How do I even know this is as real to him as it is to me?”

Don’t you trust him?

Hermione thought about this for a moment before answering. Flashbacks of Draco floated through her mind and she smiled as she remembered how he had saved her the night she found out about Harry and Ginny. Thinking about all of it now, she couldn’t think of a single moment when Draco was even the tiniest bit mean to her. Of course they fought that one time, but that was mainly her fault. She should have believed Draco when he told her that Harry was seeing Ginny. He had never yet lied to her, and Hermione doubted that he could.

“Of course I trust him.” Hermione answered in response to the question the annoyingly right voice had asked. “I’m just not sure how much.”

“And when were you planning to tell me any of this?” a male voice replied and Hermione’s head shot up from the sofa to see Draco, sitting idly on the edge of her kitchen table.

“How long have you been here?” Hermione asked in shock. “I didn’t even here you arrive!”

Draco shrugged. “I’m better at apparating than you, Granger.”

Hermione frowned. “Why are you even here?”

Draco sighed at her. “Isn’t it obvious to you, Granger? A playboy like me can’t have his reputation ruined.”

Hermione bit her lip. “You heard that?”

“I heard a little more than I wanted to, actually.” Draco replied, not getting up from his position on the edge of the table. “I have learned a lot though about what you think of me.”

Hermione continued chewing on her bottom lip in distress. Though Draco noticed this, he pretended to ignore it and continued.

“For one, you still think of me as a womanizer. Malfoy the womanizer. Malfoy the playboy. Those were your exact words I think.”

“Malfoy, I-“

“But I also learned that you think of me as amazingly sweet, caring and honest. I even heard you say that you think I have an absolutely brilliant mind. Not to mention my gorgeous body.”

Hermione’s cheeks turned scarlet and she began cursing herself in silence. What was she doing talking to herself anyway? She wasn’t crazy.

Draco stood up from the table and walked towards her. Hermione set her eyes on the red stain on the sofa she had once made while eating spaghetti by herself one night.

“I also learned that you trust me, Granger.” Draco continued in a soft voice. “but your not sure how much you can trust me. And there’s nothing wrong with that. I don’t trust myself around you sometimes as well.”

Hermione continued to admonish herself in silence and didn’t look up as Draco touched her hand.

“But do you know what I liked best about your short-lived moment of madness?”

Hermione looked up to see Draco wearing his famous mocking smile.

“What?” She asked him bitterly.

“You finally admitted that you loved me.”

Hermione eyes grew wide. She realized in an instant what he said was true as scraps of her conversation with herself glided through her mind. I’m falling for him way too fast… Of course I love him for more than just his looks…

“No, I didn’t.” Hermione tried to refuse, but the way Draco was smiling already told her there was no way she could win this argument.

“Granger…” Draco sat down next to her on the floor in front of the sofa and turned her around to face him.

“Do you know what I myself have realized?”

Hermione shook her head, unsure if she wanted to hear his realization.

Draco smiled down at her. “I realized that you have a right not to trust me just yet. We might have known each other forever, but we’ve only truly known each other for only about a month.”

Hermione nodded slowly in agreement. “And, so?”

“And so my dear,” Draco continued. “I’ve just realized that I’m fine with that. Because I’m ready to fight for your trust for as long as it takes. I mean it, Granger. Look at this serious face.”

Hermione smiled at Draco’s comically grave expression and couldn’t resist resting her head against his chest. “Do you seriously mean that?”

She felt him nod and that single movement made Hermione’s heart beat a little faster.

“I do, Granger.” Draco replied. “Seriously. I wouldn’t spend this much time and effort on you if you were just a passing fancy.”

Hermione grinned at him then and hugged him with all she had. “I’m sorry about what I said to myself.”

Draco chuckled. “Apology accepted. Just don’t ever let me catch you talking to yourself again.”

Hermione giggled at his mock admonishments and her eyes suddenly grew wide once more as she felt Draco’s fingers softly wandering over her body. All the worries she had before were forgotten now, and she wanted nothing more than to give herself up completely to the wonderful sensations Draco was already causing.

“You are truly adorable. Do you know that?”

Draco kissed Hermione’s nose lovingly and she backed away from Draco who sighed.

“Not this again, Granger.”

Hermione didn’t reply and gave a small gasp when Draco pulled her close.

“How long are you going to try to resist me, Granger?” Draco asked softly, his voice a mere caress. “I didn’t apparate to your apartment just to leave you here alone once more. I know you want this just as badly as I do. Why won’t you admit it? Will you still be able to tell me to back off once I do this…?”

Draco began kissing Hermione’s neck, slowly, dreamily, wonderfully. Hermione’s breathe quickened, but she continued to hold her arms at her side, willing herself not to touch him.

“Or this?”

Draco reached into Hermione’s sweater; before she could object, and a moan escaped her lips as Draco began caressing her in a way she had never been touched before. Hermione felt her restraint fading away and tried to hold on to the last bits of self-control she had left.

“Stop trying to stop yourself, Granger.”

With that, Draco’s fingers moved from Hermione’s sweater to inside her skirt. And, with one touch, Hermione’s restraint completely disappeared. She moaned softly and allowed her arms to curl around Draco’s neck. Gently, Draco picked her up and carried her into the upstairs bedroom he had already visited once before. Closing the door behind them, Draco laid Hermione on the bed tenderly. He was positive that, never in his whole life, had he seen a more beautiful sight than Hermione sitting on her bed, her eyes full of love and passion.

His fingers shook as he removed Hermione’s clothes, and Hermione noticed the beads of sweat that formed on Draco’s forehead when he saw her naked for the first time. Everything after that was unforgettable. Draco’s clothes came off, as if by magic and Hermione remembered nothing else but swirling colors, wonderful heat and beautiful, passionate love.

Draco’s moans matched hers as they rose together in harmony. They peaked at exactly the same time, and collapsed into a sweaty heap on the bed.

“I love you, Hermione,” Draco whispered into Hermione’s hair and her heart soared with happiness.

“I love you too, Draco.”

They made love once more and to Hermione, it was even better than the last. Nothing in the world could have ever ruined this, and no way was Hermione going to let it.
Final Pop by youngrowling
Hermione let out an audible sigh as she looked around Draco’s office for one last time.

Well, this was the reason you took up this internship, said the tiny voice in Hermione’s head as it awoke once more.

“I know, I know,” Hermione answered softly. “I just never knew it would be like this. Things aren’t the same anymore.”

And, indeed, they weren’t. Last night had been absolutely wonderful, and Hermione still felt the aftereffects of being loved and loving Draco. But none of that could have changed the decision that had been made just the morning before.

You had to know this was coming, though. Why else would they give you an internship?

The voice, no matter how annoying, had a point. Hermione knew the reason she had been sent to work for Draco was because the current Minister of Magic was planning to retire. Draco was next in line to become the next Minister. Nobody could disagree with that. Not only was he smart, quick and all-together brilliant, he also had an uncanny way of knowing almost everything. This wasn’t an exaggeration. Give him a subject, any subject, and he could explain it to you from start to end. It was one of the things Hermione admired most about him, and now he was moving up, leaving the job they had grown close to behind.

It’s not as though he’s leaving you, though. He’ll just be a few floors up.

Hermione knew that as well, but still, she couldn’t help the gloomy feeling that had forced itself between Draco and her at breakfast.

It had been an amazing morning, after all - the perfect way to start their new life as a couple. However, as Hermione had waved her wand at the dishes in order to start their breakfast, an owl had tapped its leg against her windowsill. It was Draco who opened the window and stroked the brown owl before letting it fly off. The letter was addressed to him.

That was when it started; Hermione was sure of it. She had seen the look on Draco’s face as his eyes scanned the contents of the letter. His pale cheeks flushed, he smiled, then frowned. Folding the letter neatly in half, Draco then produced his wand and grabbed his cloak from the nearby closet.

“I have to go,” Draco had said in that beautiful voice of his. “There’s something up at work. The Minister has resigned.”

At that, Hermione gave him one of her brilliant smiles, the kind that had the ability to light up a whole room. “Does that mean the new Minister is right in this room with me?”

Draco had smiled at Hermione. “You might say that. But listen, I really have to go. Do you mind coming to the office later and clearing out my things? We’re both getting new offices today.”

Hermione had nodded and turned back towards the eggs that were slowly turning golden.

“Wha-“

There was a swish and as Hermione turned around, Draco had no longer been in sight. It hadn’t bothered Hermione that Draco hadn’t even said goodbye, or kissed her; what had bothered her was that when she arrived at his old office an hour later, Draco hadn’t even been there. He had simply left another floating note, , saying that if she didn’t mind clearing out his things on her own, it would help him a great deal.

The fact that he had left her alone to clear out his things didn’t bother Hermione that much either though; it was the fact that he hadn’t even checked in on her once today. Where was the love he had confessed to her just last night?

Hermione sighed. It wasn’t even 24 hours yet, but Hermione felt the flame Draco had built last night already slowly extinguishing.

A lone tear dropped onto one of Draco’s books as Hermione waved her wand at it and guided it to a large heap where it gently landed.

The books were all done now, Hermione thought. But there were still the other shelves to take care of. With another swish of her wand, Hermione produced several boxes in mid-air and began levitating objects from the shelf into them. The task was anything but exciting, but Hermione tried to focus on it as much as she could to distract her from the thoughts she was having.

Draco didn’t have that many things left after the books were done, and the office was soon empty. Hermione walked around it as she tried to imagine herself operating this office on her own. This was what she had been dreaming of, after all. Draco was now the Minister of Magic, and she was now the Head of Wizard Protection. What could be better?

Hermione groaned once more. Months before, she could have only dreamt of being in such a position, but now that she had it, she couldn’t help but feel unsatisfied. Finally having made it to the top felt amazing, Hermione had to admit, but it was an empty victory without Draco by her side celebrating it along with her. She knew she would probably see him tonight, and they would celebrate afterwards, but things wouldn’t be the same after that.

Hermione had loved working with Draco, though she would have never admitted it. And now, things were going to change. They would still see each other a lot, yes. But Draco was the Minister now. Important duties would fill in his already busy schedule. Hermione could already taste the chicken sandwich she would be making for herself when she would be forced to eat dinners alone once more.

Shuddering at the thought, Hermione looked around the office once more and forced a smile.

You made it, Granger, try being happy just for a few minutes.

The minute was over before it even started, and Hermione huffed as she levitated the twenty one boxes full of Draco’s things. She walked slowly, leading them up the stairs, into the elevator, across the corridors and finally up the steps towards Draco’s new office.

A large wooden door greeted her, and Hermione listened to the sounds of laughter from inside. Feeling like a complete outsider, she thought about leaving the boxes outside the office before changing her mind. This was no time to act silly.

Hermione pulled a strand of hair out of her face and tried to look composed as she knocked on the heavy door. The laughs stopped, and out peeped the face of a pretty woman. Her blue eyes widened when she saw Hermione; immediately, she led her into the large office Draco would now be managing.

The room itself was a work of art, Hermione had to admit. Draco hadn’t even been here for a day, and yet it exuded so much of his personality already that Hermione felt her theories being confirmed. Things would indeed change from now on.

“Hermione!” Draco exclaimed, standing up. With a wave of his hand, the woman stepped out of the room, and Hermione listened to her footsteps disappearing before she looked at Draco.

“Ophelia, my new assistant.” Draco said with a shrug. “Cute, but nothing compared to you.”

Hermione didn’t smile. Instead, she gestured towards the boxes that she now lowered to the floor with a soft thud. “Here are all of the things you kept in your office. I finished clearing them out.”

“I owe you an apology for leaving you so abruptly this morning,” Draco continued, standing up. “And I’m sorry I made you clean out my, well, your office all on your own. There were just a few things that needed my attention.”

Hermione gave him a small smile. “That’s perfectly alright. I was able to manage on my own.”

She turned around to leave, and her heart ached when Draco moved and caught her hand before she could leave.

“You’re mad.”

It was a statement rather than a question, but Hermione still tried to refuse it.

“You’re a terrible liar, so don’t even start coming up with excuses,” Draco said, cutting in as soon as Hermione opened her mouth. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Hermione answered, trying and failing to make Draco release her hand. “There’s nothing wrong at all.”

“Well, in that case, how about trying out that new desk?” Draco said with a smile. “People say it’s indestructible, but they’ve never seen us at work now, have they?”

“How can you think of sex at a time like this?” Hermione suddenly exploded, widening Draco’s eyes in surprise. “Doesn’t it bother you that we won’t be working together anymore?”

Draco studied Hermione’s face before answering. “It bothers you a lot, doesn’t it?”

Hermione sighed. “Of course it does. I’m really happy for you, Draco. But, I just don’t want things to change that fast yet. I was happy with the way things were. More than happy. And now, all of that’s going to change. You’ll be busy all the time, and we’ll never have time anymore. I know you; I know how much you like dealing with cases and such. And, with all the wizards in this world, they’re bound to keep you busy.”

Draco nodded. “You’re right, you know, Hermione, but only about one thing. I will be busy.”

Hermione waited for him to say something else, and when Draco didn’t, she felt her heart drop even lower. “So what now?”

Draco scanned the room as he talked, leading Hermione to the certain spot he wanted. “I’ve decided to hire someone to help me. It will be much easier on both of us that way.”

Hermione nodded. “But still… I really quite enjoyed working with you, Draco. I just didn’t want that to change right away.”

Draco nodded once more. “I agree. That’s why I had that sign there changed.”

Hermione looked to where Draco was pointing and saw the title “Minister of Magic” painted in silver across a portion of the ceiling.

“What did you have changed? And what does that have to do with any of this?”

Draco remained silent and covered Hermione’s confused eyes with his hands.

“Look again,” he whispered, taking his hands away a few second later.

Hermione looked up in confusion, but saw that the sign hadn’t changed. She noticed only a moment after that a new phrase was now under the first title. It now read, “Minister and Ministress of Magic.”

“Oh.” Hermione replied, her heart sinking even deeper. “The ministry let you appoint a ministress to help you? That would make you less busy, I suppose.”

Draco smiled. “I even found the perfect woman for the job. She’s incredibly bright, and her mind is almost as brilliant as mine. She’s quick, too, and one of the fastest learners I’ve met in a long time.”

Hermione smiled, trying to control the tears that were on the verge of escaping. She watched as Draco drew nearer and closed her eyes as he began whispering.

“Not only that, but she is also one of the nicest people I’m sure I will ever meet. Her heart is beautiful, and so is she. She’s as near to perfection as humanely, and wizardly, possible.”

A tear escaped and Hermione wiped it away without Draco seeing.

“And you know what else, Hermione?”

Hermione shook her head and Draco moved even closer. Hermione’s eyes popped open as Draco began kissing her, his sweet lips moving over hers wonderfully.

“I’m kissing her right now.”

It took a few more seconds for Hermione to react, and when she did, Draco couldn’t help but smile at the shriek she emitted.

“Are you serious, Draco? Us? The Minister and Ministress of Magic? Don’t you dare tell me you’re joking!”

Draco chuckled and kissed her again. “Don’t worry, sweetheart. I’m terribly serious. I love you, and the idea of not being this close to you everyday was killing me more and more every day. And besides, the Ministry didn’t even oppose the decision. Like I said, you’re completely brilliant, and everyone has finally noticed that.”

Hermione’s arms were around Draco’s neck the next second and in that moment, Hermione knew nothing mattered more at that moment than her and Draco.

“Let’s go home,” Draco said in a husky voice. “There’s some business I still need to take care of there as well.”

Hermione giggled and held onto Draco’s hand happily as they moved towards the large fireplace in Draco’s new office. With the help of a handful of Floo Powder, the pair arrived at Hermione’s apartment a second later, already kissing.

This is it, Hermione thought dreamily as Draco carried her to her bedroom. This is how it’s supposed to feel.

Draco and Hermione made love until they collapsed, exhausted once more. When Hermione stood up to run a bath for her, she smiled as Draco stirred and followed her into the bathroom. She watched him undress and get into the bathtub with her in wonder. He really was most beautiful when he was naked.

She kissed Draco as soon as he stepped inside the bathtub, and Draco held her for a long time, shampooing her wet hair.

“About your position, Hermione,” Draco began.

Hermione looked up at him and shifted her weight. “Am I too heavy for you?”

Draco chuckled. “Not that position. I was talking about your position in the Ministry. Your position right now is heavenly. Don’t you dare move an inch.”

Hermione smiled. “What about my position at the Ministry? You weren’t joking, were you?”

Draco smiled and kissed Hermione’s forehead lovingly. “I wasn’t joking about that. You’re brilliant, like I said before. You belong in an office with me. Your mind would be a terrible thing to waste stapling papers together.”

Hermione laughed. “Then what are you trying to say, Draco?”

“Well…” Draco said in a soft voice. “There was a certain condition, for you to become the Ministress of Magic.”

Hermione’s eyes opened in suspicion. “Oh? And what is that?”

Draco kissed her. “You’ll have to marry me.”

Hermione gasped before turning her whole body around to face Draco full on. “Are you serious? Do you want that?”

Draco nodded seriously. “I have wanted that since the first day in the office, Hermione. And even if it wasn’t a requirement for the Ministry, I would have asked you anyway. I love you.”

Hermione hugged Draco tightly, her heart exploding from joy. “I love you too, Draco. I have never been this happy in my life. I would love to become your wife. You’re truly amazing.”

“No, you are amazing.” Draco replied, before pushing Hermione against the opposite end of the bathtub, causing water to splash in all directions. “And I’m never going to let you forget that.”

Hermione gazed up at the ceiling in bliss as Draco began kissing her neck with all the love he was feeling. Hermione watched in a dazed smile as a few bubbles rose from the bath tub, and wondered how her life had gotten so wonderful so suddenly.

Draco continued kissing Hermione, and for that moment, she forgot everything but him. None of them noticed the one soap bubble that remained afloat, reflecting their happiness in its shiny surface. It floated high above them, still unnoticed, until, as though sensing its job done, disappeared.

POP.
End Notes:
my amazing beta reader is to thank for all of this story's success. i hope you enjoyed reading this fan fic. :)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83375