Drachen by Tim the Enchanter
Summary:

Seventeen year old Gellert Grindelwald, a researcher at a dragon preservation, learns a few things about the greater good with the help of a few dragons and his friend Albus Dumbledore.

This is Tim the Enchanter of Ravenclaw writing for the Third Task of the Triwizard Tournament.


Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3170 Read: 1613 Published: 06/05/09 Updated: 06/09/09

1. Drachen by Tim the Enchanter

Drachen by Tim the Enchanter
Author's Notes:

Here's my entry for the Triwizard Tournament Third Task, most of which was written in the last few days before the deadline (and it shows)! Anyway, this story was written as a Gauntlet challenge, in which I had to respond to a prompt, after which I would receive the next prompt only when the previous one was finished. Anyway, thanks for reading, and enjoy!

Also, thanks to Molly (OliveOil_Med) for beta'ing this!

Tim the Enchanter


Drachen


It was a thrashing mass of scales, claws, and teeth. Struggling against its handlers’ restraints, it roared in fury, shooting a great geyser of flame from its mouth.

“Magnificent beast, isn’t it, Albus?” the blond, handsome man said to his companion.

“Indeed, Gellert. A Ukrainian Ironbelly, if I’m not mistaken?” the auburn-haired man replied, scrutinizing the dragon through his half-moon glasses. Gellert confirmed his postulation.

“I must have a closer look of this dragon, and perhaps get a sample of its blood,” Albus continued. “I believe that there are more uses for dragon blood than people realise… Can we get closer?”

Gellert smiled, slightly smugly. Knowing that look well, Albus enquired, “What?”

“How exactly do you intend to obtain your blood sample?”

Coolly and deliberately, Albus extracted a closed flask from his voluminous purple robes. “With this,” he explained. “I concocted a sleeping potion of sufficient power to incapacitate our reptilian friend for several hours. Once in its mouth, it should do the job quite nicely.”

The smirk did not leave Gellert’s face. “And do you see any problems with your plan?”

“…I can’t say I do. But your expression is most irksome, so I would be most appreciative if you could just tell me what is on your mind.”

Gellert put a hand on Albus’ shoulder and pointed at the furious dragon with his other hand. “How will you persuade the dragon to drink your potion? You have your plans. However, the Ironbelly most certainly has his own, and I’m afraid they are not compatible with your designs.”

Albus pursed his lips in thought, then admitted, “Very true. That hadn’t crossed my mind.”

“Nothing more than I expected, Albus,” Gellert said lightly, releasing his grasp on his friend's shoulder. “You’re so brilliant, yet so naïve…”

Albus chuckled. “Then it’s a good thing I have you as my anchor to reality, Gellert. Who knows what a mess I will make of the Reclamation if only I am in charge?”

“Quite,” Gellert affirmed simply. “But speaking of the Reclamation, I think our plans need some revision.”

“Do they?” Albus said, more of a statement than a question.

Gellert nodded. “Like dragons, Muggles have their uses, but they are also dangerous and unpredictable. Examine this,” he said, handing his friend a piece of paper with an animated diagram of an exploding device. Albus scratched his nose and looked.

“It’s called 'dynamite',” Gellert explained. “It is a terrible explosive of far greater power than even Erumpent horn fluid. Yet the man who devised this invention was lavished with honours and money from Muggle governments! How can Muggles be so barbaric as to reward the sick minds who concoct endlessly creative means to slaughter one another?”

Albus scrutinised the diagram pensively. “The thought is… disturbing. It seems that to let Muggles continue to govern themselves is to invite senseless devastation and death “ they cannot be trusted with their independence. Is this 'dynamite' just one of several heinous Muggle contrivances?”

“Hundreds,” Gellert answered. “Perhaps thousands. Muggles are far more violent and unbalanced than either of us anticipated. If there’s one thing I’ve learned on this reservation, it is that it does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Muggles are no different. If wizardkind is to come out of hiding, we must take into account the Muggles’ unhinged tendencies.”

Albus thought for a moment. “But for all their ferocity, even dragons can be subdued.”

Gellert smiled broadly. “Certainly. Now, let’s see about getting your dragon blood sample…”




On the desk was a small cauldron filled with a very thick, crimson fluid. The magical fire underneath the cauldron made the concoction bubble slowly and spit the occasional violent spark.

“Experiments going well?” Gellert asked.

Albus hadn’t noticed his friend enter the cabin. He looked up from his notes. “Not particularly. The only vaguely substantial conclusion I’ve made is that dragon blood makes a good oven cleaner…”

“What’s wrong with that?” Gellert said. “I think bringing the world a good cleaning solution would be quite a noble endeavour.”

“Of course,” chuckled Albus. “Then that shall be my first great discovery in the uses of dragon blood. Now… I apologise if I sound rude Gellert, but I have to ask, why are you here?”

“I just interrupted your highly important work because there’s a dragon egg about to hatch. Would you be interested in watching?”

Albus’ blue eyes seemed to light up. “Indeed! I’ve never witnessed a dragon hatching, and this should be quite a fascinating spectacle.”

“Good. Then follow me…”

Gellert led his friend from his cabin to a stone building with heavy doors. After some wand waving, the reinforced entrance allowed the pair inside.

“There it is,” Gellert said, pointing.

The room was empty, save for a rocky nest on the floor with a single egg about the size of a Quaffle. There was a faint rattling sound coming from inside it.

“The mother was chased away by another dragon, and most of the eggs were destroyed. But we’ve managed to recover several of them. This one will provide us an interesting opportunity to raise a dragon in captivity.”

Albus’ eyebrows rose. “Captivity? That sounds most unnatural. What exactly do you intend to do with this creature?”

Gellert replied, “Are you familiar with the way goblins train dragons to protect their treasure hoards?”

“I am,” Albus answered, thinking of the sound of clankers and hot metals burning skin with an unpleasant hiss. “A-are you suggesting that you will be training a guard dragon?”

“Not at all, Albus. But the general concept is the same. You see, the minds of the young are malleable “ they can be moulded and shaped, and they harden into the final form that will persist for their entire lives. The first few months of this little dragon’s life will determine the sort of creature it will become, and I intend to influence that.”

“How?” Albus asked doubtfully.

“Simple,” Gellert replied. “What the goblins do not understand is the power of trust, and that is what I shall use. I will take care of it. I will feed it, protect it, teach it “ be its mother, in essence. And with this, I shall have a complete monopoly on this little dragon’s thoughts.”

Albus pointed out, “An interesting plan, but Gellert, you have to remember that it is still a dragon, and a dangerous beast at heart.”

Gellert said nothing for a moment. After a pause, he answered, “I understand, but that is why I will do this experiment. But who knows? Just imagine what this could mean if I can raise this dragon to act in a way of my liking? What creatures could wizards reform next? Centaurs? Goblins? Even Muggles, perhaps?”

The two friends pondered the possibilities as they watched the dragon egg hatch.




Gellert looked at the newly hatched Norwegian Ridgeback despondently. He realised perhaps a little belatedly that raising an infant dragon was far more… interesting that he anticipated. He had read the manuals, but the books had created in his mind a fallacy of order, of predictability “ the young dragon was anything but.

It thrashed, lashed out at him, snapped its tiny jaws. And if that wasn’t enough, it had a voracious appetite for the chicken blood Gellert was using. Could limiting its food supply do anything to reform the creature’s behaviour? He wrote that thought down in his notes.

After several hours of dragon-minding, Gellert left the little monster in the bunker to its own devices. He took in some liberating breaths of fresh air, and his ears detected… laughing and jeering?

Gellert looked over at the clearing to see many of his co-workers looking skyward and swapping rude jokes. Intrigued, he looked up.

Two dragons “ one pale, the other dark and tattered “ were flying in patterns, bellies facing each other. Gellert instantly knew what would follow.

“My, my, Gellert,” said Albus’ voice. “Now this is interesting.”

Albus had appeared by Gellert’s side. “Quite,” he replied. He took out his telescoping spyglass and surveyed the aerial dance.

He recognised the dark dragon as number 48 “ an old, male Romanian Longhorn that had lived a very rough existence. Its scars and beaten body clearly showed that had come out the worse in numerous fights for territory and mates. Number 48 was one of the sanctuary’s more uninspiring specimens.

The pale dragon, by default a female, was unfamiliar. It shrieked at regular intervals about every second, and like its darker mate-to-be, it flew in an ungainly manner. Gellert judged that the pale female must have lived in a cave her entire life (perhaps as a Goblin treasure dragon?) and was blind, probably guiding herself by echolocation (hence the shrieking). After a few more moments of observation, Gellert determined that she was a Swedish Short-Snout.

He frowned. Seeing his expression, Albus asked, “What’s wrong?”

Gellert explained to his friend what was occurring in the skies above.

“…And apparently, the only female willing to mate with number 48 has to be blind,” he said. “Think about what kind of offspring this union would produce, Albus. A brood of runts, weaklings, and half-breeds to boot, that’s what.”

Albus inquired, “Would you prefer they not breed?”

“Of course, Albus. This is most unnatural. It is the strong and healthy that are destined to continue their line, not the weak and inbred “ these two dragons are not even of the same species. Though this preservation is only supposed to protect dragons in their natural habitat and not breed them, I believe it would be best for us to control “ or at least guide “ dragon reproduction to maintain a healthy and sustainable community. Only what nature intends must prevail.”

After speaking his mind, Gellert returned his attention to watching the dragons dance through the air through his spyglass. The two reptilian beasts soon latched onto each other and plummeted to the ground together.

Albus could not give the spectacle his full attention. Distracted, he looked longingly at his friend’s long blond hair, and wondered if Gellert would ever understand.




Gellert was happy to get away from the infant dragon. After only two days, it had grown at an alarming rate and demanded more and more of Gellert’s time and sanity, which he was unwilling to give away. So, after leaving the beast a deer carcass to sate its appetite, he magically locked the door to the subterranean sanctuary and left relieved and with elevated spirits.

Night was retreating, and day was advancing from the horizon, but the air remained cold and moist. Gellert decided to take a walk, with no destination in mind. The gravel of the footpath crunched softly under his boots.

He walked the perimeter of the clearing, where all the cabins were located. He noticed light streaming from the windows of number seven “ Albus’ cabin. He was likely busy experimenting and discovering a second use for dragon blood, no doubt. Gellert passed by his friend’s cabin and debated greeting him, but ultimately decided not to disturb his work.

Then something large, black, and massive flew by overhead, at treetop level “ Gellert ducked instinctively. As would be expected, the flying beast was a dragon, but Gellert was nonetheless surprised: it was exceedingly rare for dragons, being cold blooded, to be active at this time of early morning.

The unusually spry dragon disappeared behind the wall of trees at the clearing’s edge. Intrigued, Gellert took a broom from the communal locker and pursued.

The dragon was far ahead and paid Gellert no notice. It approached the edge of the lake, alighted, and perched itself on the rocks. Gellert landed a safe distance away.

With his tested eyes, Gellert saw that it was a Hungarian Horntail “ a massive amalgamation of bone and muscle; spines and claws and teeth. Between its outstretched wingspan of fifty feet nestled its head in a manner uncannily like a stork’s. The sun was rising across the lake, leeching an orange hue into the air “ illuminating the thin membranes of the dragon’s wings to great effect.

The Hungarian Horntail’s reputation for being the king of the dragons was well deserved. It was one of the largest. It could breathe the most intense flame. It was ill tempered. And of course, it was armed with its namesake spiked tail.

The brutish Horntail could not be called good-looking, for that honour belonged to the Antipodean Opaleye. But, Gellert thought the beast was beautiful anyway “ it was an embodiment of pure power. It could incinerate, eviscerate, devastate, all with the utmost ease and efficiency. Even this particular specimen seemed to be larger and more intimidating than the other Horntails he had seen.

Though Gellert was armed with a wand and knew the appropriate curses to subdue the dragon if the situation demanded it, he felt himself overawed by the Horntail “ the creature commanded respect. It radiated authority.

It was looking at him.

The Horntail had finally noticed Gellert, observing from the tree line, a short distance away. Its big yellow eye cast its steely gaze at him, as if to say, And why are YOU here?

That would turn out to be a very good question. Gellert saw in the Horntail many qualities he admired: strength, authority, and dominance, to name a few. Things Gellert desired, but had none of.

Of course, Gellert “ with his friend Albus “ had fantastic dreams of uniting the Deathly Hallows, of leading the wizarding world out of the darkness, of reclaiming their rightful place in the world… but they were only dreams.

And why are YOU here?

What was Gellert doing at the dragon preserve? If he had such grand plans for himself and the world, then why was he wasting time here? Instead of merely studying dragons, he should act to be like one “ be strong and powerful, and most importantly of all, make sure everyone else noticed that.

The Horntail did not waste any more attention on the human, lost in thought. With a beat of its massive wings, it flew off in the direction of the rising sun.

The symbolism could not be clearer.

Why are you waiting?




“You’re quitting?”

“That I am,” Gellert said to his employer who was seated behind the large desk.

“But why, Mr Grindelwald?” the director said. “You’re just out of school and have only been working here two months, yet you’ve already proved yourself more capable than half of the staff here. In fact, I think you can use a pay raise“”

“I’m not interested,” Grindelwald interrupted. “When I first began this job, I told you that the reason I decided to work here was to learn as much as I could. Now that I have learned all that I can, and I see no reason for me to stay further.”

It then dawned on the director that Gellert had not taken his position due to a genuine concern for the well-being of dragons. He opened his mouth to say something, but paused, thinking better of it. He settled for a resigned, “Very well, Mr Grindelwald, I understand. I accept your notice; you are dismissed.”

“Thank you sir,” Gellert stated politely before leaving the office.

He returned to his cabin and quickly packed all of his things “ it only took fifteen minutes. Hefting his suitcases, he walked over to Albus’ cabin on the other side of the clearing and knocked.

Albus opened the door. “Yes? Oh, hello Gellert.” He noticed the suitcases. “Going somewhere?”

“Indeed. Your visit will have to be cut short, I’m afraid “ I’ve just submitted my resignation. You were my guest, but now that I am no longer employed here, you are not permitted to stay any longer. We must get going.”

“What?” Albus asked, stunned. “You resigned? For Merlin’s sake, why?”

“Why not, Albus? What more do we have to gain from staying any longer? I have learned enough, so I have accomplished what I set out here to do.”

Gellert’s friend quickly glanced back at the bubbling potion on his desk. He pleaded, “How can you learn enough? What about the uses for dragon’s blood, or your experiment about human intervention on dragon development?”

“I already know what I need to know on that matter,” Gellert said grimly. “It appears that some creatures cannot be tamed with anything but force, so force is what must be used. But that is no longer important. There are more important things to preoccupy ourselves with than mere dragons; things pertaining to the greater good of the wizarding world.”

“Like the Reclamation?” Albus asked worriedly, and his friend’s nodded in confirmation. “Are you suggesting we actually pursue our plans?”

Gellert raised his eyebrows. “And are you suggesting you never considered acting upon them?”

Albus hestitated. Gellert continued, “Albus, you are the most intelligent and brilliant person I know, but you are too much of an idealist “ you don’t know how to act. And act is what we must do.”

“But why so suddenly, Gellert? You could have at least consulted me beforehand.”

Gellert shook his head. “Many brilliant wizards have wasted away their lives, just postulating and dreaming. Is that what you want to do, Albus? Continue our philosophical dithering?”

“Well, of course not, but“”

“Good,” Gellert interrupted. “We may be young now, but time will ultimately overcome us, regardless of how skilled or powerful we become. If we are to make an impact on the world, we must begin now.”

Albus was silent for a moment, then slowly nodded. “I see your point, Gellert,” he said sighing. “I’ll go and pack…”

Gellert was surprised by his friend’s proficiency with domestic spellwork. Within a minute, his bags were packed by magic and ready by the door with Albus. “To Godric’s Hollow?” he suggested.

“You must have read my mind, Albus,” Gellert said with a smile. “Our search for the Hallows begins tonight.”

The two walked to the middle of the clearing and prepared to Disapparate. Albus turned to his friend and asked, “I’m curious; what has motivated this sudden, feverish haste?”

“Something I learned on this preservation, funnily enough,” Gellert replied. “I have observed first hand that dragons are magnificent, powerful beasts, and the mightiest do not stay idle. But even creatures as impressive as dragons have their ending, as surely as snow comes after fire. Such will also be our fate someday, but unfortunately for us, we have to work to achieve eminence, so there isn’t a moment to lose, lest we fade to insignificance.”

“Hmmm… ‘Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever’,” Albus said pensively. Gellert didn’t recognise the quote, but it was fitting.

The two friends spun on their heels and vanished into thin air.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83378