A Miserable Rebel by Sainyn Swiftfoot
Summary:

Featuring Anrdomeda Tonks (née Black), Druella Black (née Rosier) and an argument. [dialogue-only oneshot]

This is Sainyn Swiftfoot of Hufflepuff house submitting for the Gift of Gab challenge. 

 


Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2036 Read: 1751 Published: 07/05/09 Updated: 07/20/09
Story Notes:
Thanks so much to everyone in those Puff chats for supporting/helping me write this fic. And thank you, Joanna, for a very challenging, yet inspiring and fun challenge.

1. A Miserable Rebel by Sainyn Swiftfoot

A Miserable Rebel by Sainyn Swiftfoot

 

'Andromeda, would you be so kind as to keep that parchment away and come here for a moment?'


'Yes, just a minute, mother.'


'I expect you to come as soon as you are called, Andromeda. Every Black has the basic values of respect instilled in them, and you are not to be any different.'


'I'm sorry, mother. What is it?'


'It is this piece of parchment that the house elf found in your rubbish bin. I am sure that you will find it incredibly interesting, please do listen.


 

Dearest Ted, I am missing you so very much. I just wish that we could visit during the holidays, but my family being what it is has compelled us to keep this a secret-- '

 


'Mother, that is something personal! You can not read that!'


'Be quiet, girl. Did you think this would go unnoticed? If it were not this, it'd be a letter from Bella soon, or Cissa, talking about your perfectly unacceptable behaviour. What are you thinking of yourself, girl? Let me go on let me go on.'


'Mother, it's personal! It's not supposed to be read by anyone els-'


'I asked you to be quiet, did I or did I not, girl? Listen to this, Cygnus, look at what your darling daughter has written to her... what do you call it, girl? Your one true love?


...my family being what it is has compelled us to keep this a secret. I just wish that we would be of age already, so that my parents can not oppose me. It is only a few more days, however, and after that there are no more obstacles in our way.


I love you so very much, and the thought of you is the only thing that is tiding me through the dreadful vacations. I am able to live through another one of those meetings with a probable suitor only by sitting and thinking about the day the two of us swam in the lake... Or that time when you found out that I was afraid of ants, or the time I got into trouble in McGonagall's class, and you helped me out... Or our first kiss, in the broom cupboard... It's only these thoughts, of you and me, that is keeping me sane, keeping me sane.


Love,

Your Dearest Dromeda


What do you think you are doing, girl? Have you no sense? How do you dare to be so vocative in your hate of your own family, or so intimate in your love of a Mudblood? You say you hate you own family, but you are blindly lust after people who are just about fit enough to lick the floor we walk on! Your family is what has made you what you are today, a fine young woman. Mudbloods bring nothing but pain and suffering. It'd do to remember that, Andromeda.'


'But mother, there is nothing wrong with Ted! He's handsome, he's intelligent, he's charming... Everybody likes him, all the teachers, all the other girls, he's mates with all the boys... Mother, what do you have against him? What do you find so inherently wrong in him that you must be so furious when you find out about our relationship?'


'He is a Mudblood, girl! Have you not yet understood the importance of purity of blood? It'd be a shame to even look at someone who is not pure of blood, leave alone marry them! Do you think that the Black family has retained it's grandeur and dignity by marrying anyone, left right and centre? We are noble, Andromeda, keep that in mind. Mudbloods do not deserve the same air we breathe, let alone our hand in marriage!'


'But mother, the same blood that runs through us exists in him, he eats the same food that we do! He is not a monster of any sort, I do not find anything convincing to stop me from marrying him!'


'The same blood? Andromeda, a Mudblood's blood is worth less than dirt, and is made up of not much more than that. How dare you say that the blood coursing through a Black's veins is the same blood that flows through a... Mudblood? Your father and I are finding a perfectly good, established, pure-blood husband for you, why are you not satisfied?'


'But mother, what is the point of marrying someone you do not love?'


'Love? Andromeda, who is giving you such queer ideas of marrying for love? Marriage is for forming alliances, for establishing yourself, for riches. Marriage isn't pleasure, it's a business! Andromeda, if you are still fixated on the idea of marrying for love, let me tell you this: when you live with a man, you come to love him and he you. Look at your father and me! We hardly even knew each other before getting married, and yet look at us now!'


'Yes, mother, a loveless marriage where father goes about his business and you yours. You bully him, you trample all over him, you scream at him, you swear at him and then he goes, drinks the night away and makes love to young women in London. A wonderful marriage indeed, mother.'


'Andromeda Black, watch your tongue. I shall not stand and watch you utter such untruths, nor shall I entertain your misguided notions. Henceforth, you are not to even look in the direction of Ted Tonks, let alone communicate with him. Have I made myself understood? I have the power to make your repercussions severe, Andromeda!'


'Mother! That is not the least fair! Father, father, say something! Make this woman understand!'


'Your father agrees with me, girl! Anyone in their right minds would! Any more of this nonsense, and I shall be locking you away. Why do you think there is so much of turbulence in this world today? Why is there anarchy, destruction, fear and hate? Mudbloods, Andromeda, are the answer. When blood is not pure, people are not fit. Mudbloods' minds work in very strange ways, Andromeda, in ways that you and I, being people of the purest blood possible, can not even begin to comprehend. Have you heard of Utler the Unsane? Why do you think he massacred so many people? His blood was impure, and so his mind not steady!'


'Actually, it was because of the bite of a potent Porlock.'


'Did you say something, girl? Speak louder!'


'No, I said nothing, mother. I understand what you say, I shall not henceforth attempt any sort of communication between Ted Tonks and I.'


'Good. You ought to be more like your sisters, look at what fine women they're becoming! They are more than willing to uphold our good Black tradition, several offers have come in for Bella, and my, I believe that young Cissa has already found a fine husband in Lucius Malfoy. Your father and I are in serious talks with the Flints, they have a strapping young man, Jonathan. Do not even attempt to communicate with Ted Tonks, am I making myself clear?'


'That is being a good girl, Andromeda. Now get back to whatever you were doing before. Run along.'


 

*

 


'Hello, Andromeda. Heading off somewhere at five in the morning, are you? I wonder where, now...'


'Damn. I'm leaving, mother, and don't even think of trying to stop me, I have a wand.'


'I have a wand and a house elf by my side, Andromeda. Do not do something stupid now. It would result in nothing but undesirable consequences.'


'I was nearly out of the house, Goddamn!'


'You make more noise than a Chimaera in a china shop, girl. And I shall not tolerate such language being spoken under my roof.'


'That is exactly why I was getting out of under your roof, dearest mother. And I am aware that you are capable of sleeping through a storm. Who was it that told you about me trying to leave, the house elf?'


'You would do well to speak with respect to your mother, Andromeda. And what is that in your hand, a note? My dearest mother,


I am running away from home, to Ted Tonks. I can for no longer put up with your antiquated beliefs and your baseless and impractical notions of blood purity. Blast me off the Black family tree, disown me or even issue a warrant for my arrest, but I shall be a score happier in Azkaban than in the rotting hell you call home.


Yours lovingly,

Andromeda Tonks


What is this, Andromeda? Do you take us for fools? You run around with charlatans and blood traitors and all sorts of people, you plan to run away from your home... I have half a mind not to send you to Hogwarts next year! And how is it that you dare to sign your note saying that you are Andromeda Tonks? You are just doing this to infuriate me, girl, and it is not in the least impressing me!You are a liar and a blood traitor and a failure and a disappointment, Andromeda!'


'You know what, mother? I frankly do not care. I lie to people who deserve to lie to (people like you, that is), the concept of blood purity is baseless, senseless, outdated, creating further barriers for peace and human cooperation, and is established only so that people who are supposedly noble have someone to bully around, to look down upon. And mother, if I'm a failure in your eyes, I am so very pleased, because under no circumstances would I wish to be a success in what you follow and what you do. Oh, finally, I have to admit there I find no greater pleasure than being a disappointment to you.'


'Andromeda Black! You... you miserable...'


'Miserable what, mother? A miserable rebel? A miserable renegade? I'm proud of being a rebel in a society where people are discriminated by who their parents were, or what their grandparents were, mother. How is it fair to say that someone is inferior to you just because their parents could not perform magic?'


'Andromeda Black, that is the limit. Give me your wand! No, give it to me right now! And then get down to the cellar, let us see whether a few days of no food or water in that dark cellar will help change your opinions.'


'I shan't and I can't and I won't, mother! I'm leaving this horrid place and that is it! I am not going to endure you or Cissa or Bella any longer, I'm not going to sit through hours of dreary small talk and Firewhiskey on Christmas days when other children are out playing in the snow, or kissing their beaux under mistletoe. I am not willing to spend another second in that house, a house that holds nothing but terrible memories, painful memories, memories that make me want to gag, memories that have made me the untrusting and bitter person I am now. I admit that I am bitter and that I am untrusting, and it is all thanks to you, mother dearest! I am running away with Ted, I have my life in front of me, and you can do nothing to sto--'

 

 

'Petrificus Totalus. Dear daughter, enjoy yourself down in the cellar. Oh, and lest I forget, a very happy seventeenth birthday to you. I am sure that the rats will make good enough companions for you on this incredibly important day. If you find Ted Tonks and such Mudblood trash fine enough, I'm sure that you'll find the rats more than suitable companions. Happy birthday once more.'

End Notes:

-scar-

I hope you liked this oneshot, please do review.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83682