Operation: Lily by siriusly_confused
Summary: For Lily Evans, James Potter was just a crush. A guilty pleasure, in other words. She never meant to fall in love with him. Especially after six long years of having to reject him. James would always be chasing after her, so why not live a little before giving in? It's finally come to their Seventh Year at Hogwarts after all. But little did Lily know, James took his tactics to a whole new level- Operation: Lily.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 14770 Read: 23448 Published: 07/09/09 Updated: 02/28/12

1. Chapter One: Finally Made It by siriusly_confused

2. Chapter Two: Acquaintances by siriusly_confused

3. Chapter Three: Operation: Lily by siriusly_confused

4. Chapter Four: The First Step is Always the Hardest by siriusly_confused

5. Chapter Five: Fight at the Whomping Willow Part One by siriusly_confused

6. Chapter Six: So Far So Good by siriusly_confused

Chapter One: Finally Made It by siriusly_confused
Author's Notes:
Lily's point of view
Finally, after six years of trying to be a good example for the younger students, I had landed myself exactly where I've wanted to be: the Head Girl at Hogwarts. I stared lazily out of the train window, waiting for the final whistle before the Hogwarts Express would leave. I could see the worried looks on the parents as they left their young children for the first time, reminding myself what it was like on my first train ride.

It feels just like yesterday when I was going to be a first year, I remember hugging my parents goodbye, promising to write them every day. I remember trying to find a compartment with Severus, which led to meeting Natasha, and waving goodbye to my teary-eyed mother. I also remember the scowl on Petunia's face as the train slowly began to leave. She wouldn't even let me say goodbye to her, giving me the cold shoulder the whole way to the train station. Severus tried so hard to make me feel better on the way to school. But instead, he had only made me feel worse that she couldn't have came with me. Severus used to be such a good friend. It's such a shame how some people change for the worse...

I spotted Natasha outside hugging her father quickly before running, a hand gripping onto her trunk, to get inside the train. A minute later, she opened the compartment door out of breath, only just in time as the train's whistle began to blow. I was about to ask her how her summer went when she blurted out, "Have you found out who the Head Boy is, Lily?"

"Yes," I sighed, folding my arms across my chest. "It's Potter."

"Oh, Lily. I'm sorry," she consoled. A smile flickered on her face as her hand automatically flew to her mouth to stop from revealing a laugh.

"What?" I asked, fidgeting in my seat.

"Well, you know he's going to try and ask you out again." She smiled, no doubt remembering some of the other attempts Potter had tried. "I just wonder what new ways he's thought up this summer."

"How many ways can a boy try to ask a girl out?" I cried, flinging my hands up in the air.

"Remember last year when Potter cast a spell on the enchanted ceiling in the Great Hall that wrote out his proposal to asking you out?" she laughed.

"Yeah and that put him in detention for how long?" I reasoned. "Served him right! That was so -- “

"Romantic?" Natasha interjected.

"More like embarrassing!" I exclaimed, crossing my legs as I leaned back in my seat.

"No!" she protested. "It can't be as bad as that one time during our fourth year when..."

"Ugh," I groaned, remembering as well the most embarrassing act of Potter asking me out.

Back in the fourth year, Potter had simply asked me if I would be his date on the Hogsmeade trip on Valentines Day. Well, I politely said "no". But of course, Potter wouldn't take no for an answer. Then the day before Valentines Day, Potter came up to me during lunch and burst into song, mainly a song about "why won't I be his date for Valentines day?" For weeks after that, random students would come up to me and sing why won't I be their date for Valentines. Sirius especially wouldn't give it a rest.

"Alright, let's just change the subject from his ways of asking me out," I begged, clasping my hands together dramatically. "I just can't believe that I'm going to have to see him more often this year! Not only do I have to share my duties with him but I'll also see him hanging around the Head dorms everyday. There is no way I can avoid him, now!"

"Well, maybe when you two start getting closer and you get into his inner circle of friends," she said, grinning, "you could introduce me to Sirius!"

"Don't hold your breath, Natasha," I scorned, laughing. "That'll never happen."

"Never say never!" she replied in a sing-song voice, taking out A Standard Book of Spells, Grade 7.

I took it as a sign of surrender for now and took out a book to read. My mind began to wander, and a few minutes later, I realized I was still on the first page. I put down the book, leaving my mind free to think of Professor Dumbledore's poor choice for Head Boy. He just had to pick Potter. James 'bloody' Potter, of all people! What did he do to deserve this? I've worked hard, gotten great grades (except for Arithmancy, which is a little bit of my weakness), and, of course, I like to think of myself as one of the school's top students. What has he done? Nothing but joke around with those friends of his. How Potter managed to pass all of his classes are beyond me. I think he bribed the teachers; Professor Slughorn wouldn't have been too hard to get to.

Potter was always a prick. Even on the very first train ride to Hogwarts, he was rude! He made up that nickname, Snivellus, for Severus. This year, though, I won't let Potter get in my way. Even though I, unfortunately, will have to deal with him every single day as Head Girl, I will make sure he understands what will happen if he tries to ask me out one more time!

Just calm down, Lily,
I told myself. Maybe now that we're in the seventh year, he'll have grown up over the summer. Just a little bit at least. Maybe Potter won't be so annoying this year. Perhaps now that we'll be seeing each other more often, we'll possibly become friends. Okay, that might be saying too much. Maybe by the end of the year, I'll be able to tolerate him better. Just blame your bad mood on Petunia. She's the reason the family is all stressed out. It's all because of her wedding plans. Next summer, I'm being forced to go to her wedding. She's not too happy that Mum had to lecture her on the importance of family. At least I got out of having to help her with the preparations since I have school.

I looked at my watch. It was half-past eleven, and I was already bored! When did Professor Dumbledore say Potter and I should talk to the Prefects? Around noon I think... Hm, I wonder how Natasha's summer went.

"I never asked you how your father is holding up," I said, remembering her latest family dilemma.

"Not too good," Natasha replied, putting aside her book while crossing her legs. "Ever since Mum went on the run, I've barely seen him at home. He goes back and forth from the Ministry and home, trying to convince the Minister that Mum isn't working for You-Know-Who."

"It'll all work out in the end," I assured her. "Your mum is too nice to be working for the evil side! Anyway, you've still got to talk to Sirius. If you don't tell him you like him, how will he ever know when to make the first move?"

"Yeah, well," she mumbled, fidgeting with her hands. "I'm not talking to him first. If he likes me, he'll have to do the talking. Besides! You know by the end of the year you'll be going out with Potter. You secretly fancy him!"

"No I don't!" I hissed. "That was only the first week of school in the first year, before he showed his true side. I didn't know any better!"

"Yeah, sure," she teased. "You know you can't resist that smile of his."

"Oh, you better quit dreaming or else I'll have you in St. Mungo's by the end of the year if you keep bringing that up!" I argued for what felt like the hundredth time.

I looked at my watch again, out of habit, thankful for an excuse that it was about time to go find Potter. So I left my thoughts as I walked down to the end of the train where James and the rest of the 'Marauders' were sitting.

They look pretty busy. What could they be working on this early in the day? Peeking through the glass window into their compartment, I saw James and Sirius sitting cross-legged on their seat, a bunch of papers spread out between them. James was quickly scribbling on one of the parchments, while Sirius chattered away. Peter was leaning so far in his seat opposite them that it looked like he was going to fall any minute, and Remus was tucked in the corner by the window next to Peter, reading a book. I knocked on the compartment door, causing James and Sirius to jump and grab all their papers in a hurry.

"Potter, we need to gather up the Prefects," I announced, while also trying to catch a glimpse at one of their papers. I caught the word 'Operation' before Sirius caught me looking and quickly stuffed the parchment behind his back. Ugh, this better not have anything to do with me!

"Oh, I love the sound of authority from her first thing in the morning," Potter joked to his friends.

"Let's get one thing straight, Potter, before we get to school," I demanded, already getting annoyed by him. "I don't know what Professor Dumbledore was thinking when he appointed you as Head Boy. So a word of advice: don't make me go insane by the end of this year."

"I'll try not to," he replied, looking smug to his friends.

I rolled my eyes and thought to myself, This is going to be a long year.
End Notes:
Just finished chapter two and having it read over by my beta so it should hopefully be up soon!
Chapter Two: Acquaintances by siriusly_confused
Author's Notes:
Lily's point of view.
"Any questions before we release you all?" Potter asked finally after we had explained everything the Prefects needed to know. They shook their heads, eager to get back to their friends and wait for the lunch trolley to pass by. "Alright, see you back at the castle then."

The Prefects filed out of the small compartment, leaving James and I alone for the first time. I immediately tensed for the worst.

"Would you do me a favor, Evans?" Potter asked me while taking a seat.

I sat opposite him and sighed. Here goes rejection number what? One hundred? Two hundred? When will the message get through that thick skull of his? "For the seventh year in a row, my answer will still be no. I will not go out with you, Potter."

Potter smirked. "Can't stop thinking about me, Evans? I actually was not going to ask you out."

"We “Well “” I stammered, blushing while trying to think up an excuse.

"What I was about to say before you interrupted me," Potter continued, leaning back in his seat, still smirking in spite of himself, "was if Natasha might have revealed to you if she fancied Sirius."

"What's it to you if she fancies him or not?" I asked, narrowing my eyes suspiciously.

"Oh, it's nothing to me at all except my best mate's happiness," he replied innocently. "While Sirius was finding a compartment for us, he just happened to overhear someone mentioning his name. So, naturally, he was curious to know what was being said about him. It took a few seconds before it clicked that they were talking about Natasha who fancied him."

"No one else knows Natasha fancies him besides me and her!" My hand flew to my mouth in shock. I did not just let Potter know Natasha fancies Sirius!

"Sirius will be interested to know that."

"You better not breathe a word to Sirius or else I'll “"

"You'll what?" Potter laughed. "I've heard all your threats before and how many of them have you actually carried out?"

"I should be going back to Natasha," I announced, standing up from my seat. "She'll be wondering why I've been gone so long."

"Yes, why don't you do that," Potter replied, standing up as well. "I might as well leave too, seeing as how Sirius has some news to hear."

As there was nothing else I could say or do, I stalked out of the compartment to the middle of the train where I found Natasha eating a sandwich. She looked up as I slid open the door and "accidentally" slammed it shut.

"Oh that Potter gets me so frustrated!" I exclaimed, dropping down in my seat before standing back up, raising my hands up in distress. "He knows just how to catch me off guard."

"What happened?" Natasha's sandwich lay forgotten as she looked up at me eagerly. "Did he kiss you?"

"No! Thank Merlin he didn't try that!" I scoffed. Sitting down, guilt flooded me and I quietly said, "I accidentally let him know you fancied Sirius."

"You what?" she choked, eyes bulging wide.

"I'm so sorry, Natasha!" I cried, the words rushing out of me. "It's just, Potter told me Sirius heard from someone that you fancied him and the next thing I knew, I blurted out to Potter that only I knew you did."

Her mouth dropped wide as she whispered, "What did Potter say in response?"

"After I admitted that, he said that Sirius would be interested to know. So that's got to mean he likes you back, right?"

"I don't know. But Lily, what if he doesn't? I'll feel awkward and I'll have to avoid him!"

"It's never awkward unless you make it."

"Well, I guess I would have told Potter anything too, being under his spell and all."

"I was not under his spell!" I huffed, crossing my arms and uncrossing them as I sat trying to think of something else to talk about. I took out my small lunch for the train ride and began to eat quietly when a knock on the compartment door startled Natasha and me. To my curiosity and Natasha's horror, it was Sirius.

He slid the door open, leaning casually against the wall before saying, "So Natasha, I hear you fancy me?"

I buried myself into a book, glancing at Natasha who sat stammering.

"I'll take that as a yes." Sirius grinned. Straightening himself, he added, "I'll save you a seat at the feast tonight."

With a flash of a smile and a wink, he left, closing the door behind him. Meanwhile, Natasha tried her best not to hyperventilate.

"Breathe, Natasha! Breathe!" I laughed.

"I can't believe... Lily, I love you for telling James that!"

Natasha squealed, jumping up to hug me.

"I know I'm great." I grinned and shrugged.

"I get to sit next to him tonight! Oh, I can't wait!" she exclaimed. "I bet James is going to be happy."

"Why?" I asked, scowling at the mention of his name.

"You know he's going to try to sit next to you," she continued, off in her dream world, "and he'll ask you out."

"Sure," I snorted. "And I'll just reject him again."

Or has he really moved on from me? This afternoon it seemed that he had but that could have been my mistake. Wait, do I actually care?

~~

"Welcome back, everyone, to another year at Hogwarts! And good evening to those here for their first year!" Professor Dumbledore exclaimed as he raised his hands and everyone clapped.

"I see Natasha and Sirius are getting quite along," a voice whispered in my ear, causing me to jump. Ugh, Potter. "That could be us, you know, if you'd just let me take you on a date and see how good we are together."

"Unlike Natasha," I hissed, "I like my men smart and polite."

"Well if it isn't your lucky day!" Potter grinned. "I just happen to be both those charming qualities."

"Polite?" I laughed, lowering my voice as students began to be sorted. "You couldn't be polite for more than an hour."

"You want to bet?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I ignored him, pretending to take interest in the newly picked Gryffindor who was making his way to the long table. I clapped with the others then turned my attention to Natasha who was sitting across from me, laughing at something Sirius must've said. To my dismay, his arm was wrapped around her waist. In my defense, someone should look out for Natasha. Sirius is known around the school to be "fast" with girls. I just don't want her innocence to be ruined by someone like Sirius.

The Sorting ended and food magically appeared on the table: my favorite part of the night.

"Hey Natasha “" I stopped short on the fact that she wasn't paying any attention to me. I sighed and began to pile onto my plate what food was left after James and his friends attacked the golden plates full of the best food you could imagine. I do wish she would pay a little attention to me. I am her best friend after all.

“Have a good summer, Lily?” Remus asked.

“It was quite enjoyable,” I replied. “If you don’t count my sister’s bother about her upcoming wedding.”

“Have you made arrangements with Professor Dumbledore so you could go?” Remus suggested.

“No,” I laughed. “I would rather let Potter kiss my hand.”

“I never thought I’d hear Lily say my name in the same sentence as the word kiss.” Potter jerked up in his seat at the thought.

There was the Potter I knew.

“Don’t get your hopes up, Potter,” I quipped. “I was just trying to make my point. I’d rather bathe in dragon dung then let you kiss my hand.”

Sirius took his attention off Natasha long enough to laugh at that. “Sorry, mate. Looks like you’re never going to get the girl at this point.”

Potter scowled and returned to his food, mumbling, “You’ll see.” I ignored him and turned my attention back to Remus. By this point the food disappeared and mountains of cakes, pies, and gelatin appeared.

“Did you have a good summer, Remus? You look a bit peaky at the moment.”

“It was fun, yes. James and Sirius came to visit me a few times. I’m afraid I caught something nasty though over the break.”

“Have you gone to see Madam Pomfrey? It might be something she could cure right away.”

“I’m afraid it’s something that takes a while to cure…”

Professor Dumbledore stood up once again to leave us with parting words. Up and down the tables the first years were yawning, half-asleep in their seats.

"This is definitely the best welcoming feast!" Natasha exclaimed, making me jump.

"Oh, now you talk to me!" I said, stifling a yawn.

"Sorry, I was distracted! Anyway, I just wanted to say goodnight. See you tomorrow, okay?”

"Okay, goodnight."

I watched her pull on Sirius' sleeve and they left the hall together. Probably up to no good. I stood up waiting for Potter to finish his conversation with his friends so I could tell him I was off to patrol the halls. Come on Potter, I thought, I want to go to bed soon! The room was slowly starting to quiet with only the older students still behind saying goodnight.

"Come on, Potter," I growled, grabbing his sleeve. "Let's start patrolling the halls before it gets too late."

"Feisty, are we?" Potter smirked. Then to Remus and Peter, he said, "I think she likes me."

I rolled my eyes, "In your dreams, Potter. Let's go!"

Potter leaned in closer to his friends and I couldn’t help but try to discreetly lean in as well. I caught him finishing his sentence with, “step one: completed.” What is he up to now? I rolled my eyes, waiting for him to finally say goodnight, and we left in silence. As we climbed the staircase, the portraits all around us were snoring. At the first corridor, I left Potter without a word. It was eerily silent as I continued walking around alone in the castle. Every few minutes, I checked my watch; the hour hand seemed to slowly make its way past eleven. I guess I should make my way back to the Common Room. I wonder if Potter is still patrolling or if he went to bed early. I made my way up the stairs slowly only to find that Potter was just a bit ahead of me, mumbling the password to the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Hold up!" I called, as I quickened my pace.

"Yes, Lily?" Potter turned to me, as if he was giving me his undivided attention.

"I just wanted to make it before the portrait closed!” I rolled my eyes as I pushed past him to get inside.

It was so nice to be back at Hogwarts. The warm fireplace gave just enough light to reveal the comfy chairs placed around it; a few sleepy Gryffindors were still up, either half-asleep at a desk or curled up on a poufy chair.

"Well, I think I'm going to head up to bed," Potter said, breaking the silence.

"Me too," I yawned.

An uncomfortable moment passed before I mumbled a goodnight and walked up the stairs to my own Head room. As I opened the door, candles flickered into being, illuminating the surroundings. A huge four-poster bed was facing me with my trunks at the foot of the bed. Quills and ink lay upon a desk and there was even a small love-seat on the opposite wall from the desk. I even had my own bathroom! I sat on my bed, feeling content at the moment.

Yes, this year will be unforgettable.
Chapter Three: Operation: Lily by siriusly_confused
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the very long addition. I'm going to try and actually finish writing this story. Thanks for reading. And, of course, I do not own of the characters. Every third chapter is told in Jame's point of view.

“Pssst, Prongs.”

A rough shake was enough to wake me up from this comfortable four-poster bed. I slowly opened my eyes, squinting to see who the intruder was. All I could see was long, black, shaggy hair. I reached over to the bedside table for my glasses.

“Hey, mate,” I replied as I sat up, stifling a yawn.

“This room is impressive,” said Moony over in the corner, head tilted sideways as he read the names of books on a shelf. “I might have to borrow a few of these books from you.”

“Go ahead,” I mumbled, getting out of bed. “I’m not going to read them anyway.”

Sirius stretched himself on top of the covers as I headed over to my trunk. Peter was nowhere to be found. Remus, however, was plopped on an armchair with a book in his hand.

“Where’s Wormtail?” I asked, looking around.

Remus shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know, mate, he was gone when Padfoot and I got up this morning.”

“Probably alone somewhere,” Sirius snickered. “He’s got no other friends than us.”

“Well wherever he is,” I said while pulling out some clothes, “someone needs to remind him of our meeting in a certain Room of Requirements during our first break. And remember to think ‘I need a place for a base of operations’ as you walk past the blank wall opposite the tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy.”

“We remember!” Sirius exclaimed, rolling his eyes. “We’ve gone over this only a hundred times or so on the train yesterday.”

“Right,” I muttered. “Maybe we should get changed so we can go to the hall for breakfast already?”

Sirius and Remus left as quickly as they came, leaving me in solitude as I glanced around the room. Operation: Lily came to mind. Will it work or am I wasting my time? What if the year ends and she hates me even more than she already does? Sighing, I quickly got changed and found Remus waiting for me in the common room.

“Where’s Padfoot?” I asked, meeting up with him.

“He left for the Great Hall with Natasha and Lily,” he shrugged. “’Said you wouldn’t mind.”

“Ah well,” I made room for him to pass through the portrait next to me. “Wonder how long this girl’s going to last him.”

“I think you do,” Remus sighed. “You shouldn’t be playing her like that. She’s Lily’s friend.”

“Look, it will all turn out all right. I’ll get Lily and Sirius can stay with Natasha if he likes.”

As we made our way down the stairs past a group of giggling girls, I couldn’t help but wonder if Remus was bound to go after someone he fancied this year.

“So, Moony,” I began, swinging an arm around his neck as we reached the Entrance Hall, “you going to get a girlfriend this year or what?”

“Prongs,” Remus muttered. “You know with my condition… It just wouldn’t work out.”

“Don’t be such a downer on yourself. I bet you could get any girl if you tried.”

The nasal voice of a greasy-haired git was heard from behind.

“As if any girl would fancy a werewolf.”

Glancing quickly around to find Lily nowhere nearby to scold me for my soon-to-be actions, I thought, 'This is my lucky day.'

“And you think any girl would fancy a hook-nosed git?” I smirked, hand in pocket gripping my wand as I thought, just in case.

“Why you…” Snape began, pointing his wand at me.

“Oh, Snivellus,” I laughed, “you know no good is going to come out of that.”

"CRUCI-

INCARCEROUS!”

Just as thick ropes wrapped around Snape, Professor McGonagall pushed open the Great Hall doors. I glanced at Remus, who held out his wand in front of him. I had barely gotten my wand out when he shouted the spell.

“What is the meaning of all this trouble?” Professor McGonagall asked sternly. “Mr. Lupin, I’m surprised to see you in such a compromising position.”

“It wasn't Remus, Professor,” I blurted out, while Remus attempted to keep a straight face.

“Ah, Mr. Potter,” McGonagall sighed. “I’m not surprised to see you at the root of it. You too, Mr. Snape. To my office, boys.”

She undid the spell Remus cast on Snape. Trudging slowly, I followed her up to her office while shaking with anger. Snape followed next to me, his hands in his pockets probably gripping his wand. I was doing the same.

“No need to take a seat, boys,” Professor McGonagall said, crossing over to stand behind her desk. “This will only take a moment. Now, I don’t care to hear any excuses but heed my warning. This is your last year. It will not be a year of carelessness and foolish decisions. It is easy to forget that this year you will need to work hard because after you finish at Hogwarts, you two will be entering the real world where foolish decisions receive harsh consequences. There will be no detentions or loss of House points. There will be Azkaban waiting. You understand?”

“Yes, Professor,” we mumbled simultaneously.

“Good,” she continued. “Since term hasn’t even started, I will let you two go. If I need to see you two in my office again, you will not leave punished lightly. Off you go now.”

Silently we left the room. As soon as we were a few feet away, Snape turned to me.

“Better watch your back then, Potter,” Snape sneered.

“I would be careful if I were you, Snivellus,” I hissed.

“Boys,” Professor McGonagall sighed, “do I need to take House points?”

“Sorry, Professor,” I replied, leaving back down to the Great Hall.

I hurried quickly down the steps while my stomach grumbled for food and pushed open the doors to the Great Hall. I looked behind me to find Professor McGonagall holding a stack of parchment in her hands. “Must be the schedules,” I thought. I made my way to the Gryffindor table and squeezed between Remus and Padfoot.

“What did she say?” Remus asked, folding his Daily Prophet and placing it in front of him.

“Nothing much,” I replied, grabbing toast, eggs and whatever else was in front of me. “Just gave us a warning. If only she had been there a few moments earlier when Snivellus yelled one of the Unforgivable’s at me.”

“Which one did he yell?” Sirius asked, his attention no longer on Natasha, which meant her attention was on me and Lily’s attention as well. Now she can hear how her scum of an old friend really is.

“The torture one,” I whispered as a professor passed behind us.

“That slimy git!” Sirius exploded, and then lowered his voice to a whisper. “He’s going to pay for that.”

“No, he isn’t,” I advised, catching a quick glimpse at Lily’s face, she looked surprised. “Provoking him isn’t going to make the situation better.”

“Then lets just hope we don’t have any classes with him today or else…,” Sirius promised.

He turned his attention back to Natasha and I returned mine back to the food on my plate. A few minutes later, Professor McGonagall walked up the table and handed schedules.

“Excellent!” Sirius proclaimed. “An easy morning, Herbology with the Ravenclaws and a free period.”

“The afternoon is not going to be a fun one,” I mumbled. “Potions and Transfiguration, you can count on homework tonight.”

“Speaking of Transfiguration,” Remus added, sighing as he looked around to make sure nobody was paying attention, then whispered, “It’ll be soon.”

“Don’t worry, Moony,” I smiled sympathetically, “It’ll be alright. We’ll discuss it later.”

“Get our schedules yet?” Peter asked, breathing heavily. He squeezed in between Remus and I, then grabbed all the food greedily in front of him.

“Oi, Wormtail!” Sirius called from across the table. “Where have you been running from?”

“I-I-I was,” he stuttered, looking panic stricken. Stuffing food in his mouth he exclaimed, “Nowhere!”

It was unlike Peter to have any sort of life beyond being around us. He had no other friends after all. What could he possibly be doing that involved socializing?

“Well,” Remus said, handing him his schedule, “we’ve got to go. Don’t want to be late for Herbology now.”

Our little group expanded as we left the Great Hall, with the addition of Natasha and Lily. However, while Natasha’s attention was being directed at Sirius, Lily’s was being directed by Remus as they brought in the rear. I was stuck with Peter, not that he’s a bad fellow. He just he doesn’t know when to stop talking. This was going to be a long morning.


I need a place for a base of operations,” I thought, walking back and forth past the blank wall opposite the tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy. Finally a wide, wooden door revealed itself to me as Peter, Remus, and I walked inside. The room was perfect. It was about the size of the boy’s dormitory, with stone flooring, and a fireplace at the end of the room. There was a table in the middle of the room with snacks provided. A bookshelf lined one wall containing titles such as How to Woo the Woman You Love, 100 Foolproof Ways to Get a Date, and So She Won’t Accept A Date With You? After inspecting the room a little while, the door opened and Sirius swaggered in with a sloppy grin on his face.

“Where’ve you been?” I asked a tad peeved.

“With Natasha,” Sirius replied grinning, grabbing an apple off the table. “Don’t get mad at me, isn’t that part of the plan after all?”

“Yes but we’ve got quite a bit to discuss,” I sighed, taking a seat at the table. I pulled out the notes we had taken on the train ride and examined them. “Would you all take a seat?”

“Ooh listen to Commander Prongs,” Sirius teased. “You sound so official.”

I rolled my eyes. “We have to take this seriously.

Okay mates, Operation: Lily is ready to go into action. Sirius, how are things with Natasha? Do you think you’ll be able to commit to her for a while?”

“I’ll try,” Sirius hesitated, scratching the back of his neck. “Natasha might have no problem. She never stops talking. I know her whole life story and more. Well, I would if I was listening. She’s great to snog though. Don’t know how soon I’ll get bored with her though.”

“Don’t get bored,” I advised, shaking my head. “Natasha is really important to this operation. She’s Lily’s best friend. That’s the only way I’ll get close to her.”

“What about the rounds you two have to do together?” Remus asked, chiming in. “Not going so well?”

“We did separate rounds last night,” I sighed, leaning back in my chair. “She left as soon we started. I didn’t see her until I got back to the Fat Lady.”

“What did you expect?” Remus asked, chuckling. “Term has only started and nothing has happened to make Lily change her feelings toward you.”

“By the end of this month,” I started, “she’ll be warming up to me.”

“Well then what’s the next step?” Peter piped up. I almost forgot he was here.

“I’m glad you asked,” I said, directing everyone’s attention to the task at hand. “Lily mentioned at dinner last night that I couldn't be polite. So for the rest of the month, as hard as it will be for me, I will not pick any fights with the-Slytherin-who-shall-not-be-mentioned. Or at least I won’t while Lily is anywhere around. And I won’t flirt with Lily but I can pay her compliments.”

“Er, Prongs?” Padfoot asked, putting the back of his hand to my forehead. “You feeling alright, mate?”

“That’s some task,” Remus remarked, shaking his head. “James, you can’t change yourself for a girl. That’s not the way to go about it.”

“That’s just it, Moony,” I sighed, exasperated. “Lily isn’t any other girl. She is the only girl I want.”

“Mate-,” Remus tried to speak.

“Moony,” I moaned, “she doesn’t like my current personality. So something has to change, right?” I looked to Sirius but he just shrugged his shoulders.

“Don’t look at me,” Sirius said, raising his hands in surrender. “I’m not the one chasing after the impossible.”

“I’m telling you guys,” I persisted, “Lily is the one.”

“Then what’s the other task, Prongs?” Sirius asked, changing the subject.

“Right,” I said, shuffling through the pages in front of me. “Remus, I need you this time.”

“I told you on the train,” Remus sighed. “I don’t want to be a part of this.”

“But why?” I asked, at the point of begging. “Moony, I need you. Help a best mate out? A fellow Marauder?”

“This operation can only end badly,” Remus said.

“Have a little faith in me?” I asked, desperately. “All I need you to do is be Lily’s partner in potions.”

“Why?” Remus replied, narrowing his eyes. “Natasha is her partner.”

“Not after today,” I piped up. “Sirius is going to ask her to be his partner.”

“Then who will be your partner?” Sirius asked.

“Peter,” I replied casually. “You’ve been getting good marks in Potions right, Peter?”

“I’m okay,” Peter said hesitantly.

“There’s no harm being my partner, Wormtail,” I laughed at his reluctance. “What could go wrong?”

“We did accidentally blow up our cauldron last year,” Sirius added, laughing. “Remember?”

“Right,” I replied, nodding my head. “All for a good cause though. It was worth seeing Snivellus covered in warts.”

I checked my watch. We were going to be late for Potions if we didn’t leave soon. I pulled out the Marauders Map, scanning for Lily’s dot. She and Natasha were headed there from the Gryffindor Common Room.

“Time for Potions,” I announced, folding the map. I tapped the map with my wand and mumbled Mischief Managed. Well, managed for now at least.

End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Hopefully the plot should be moving a little faster within the next chapter!
Chapter Four: The First Step is Always the Hardest by siriusly_confused

Why is Natasha late? I thought anxiously. She’s never been tardy for a Potions class before, and on the first day of classes too! Just because she’s going out with Black now it doesn’t mean she should ditch me for him. I polished my cauldron for the fifth time while impatiently waiting, half-listening to Professor Slughorn drone on about the potion we were about to do. I could easily afford not paying much attention in this class since I usually do exceedingly well. I heard the door scrape open and the Marauders swaggered in, laughing at some dumb joke Potter or Black just said, probably. Surprise, surprise, there’s Natasha with Black’s arm around her.

“Now, boys!” Professor Slughorn scolded, “First day of classes and you’re already late! Not a good start for your last year at Hogwarts.”

I wasn’t surprised to see Potter step forward in the group, trying to flatter Professor Slughorn into letting them go.

“Ah, Professor,” Potter started innocently, “we were just saying how we’re going to miss having you as our Potions teacher. After all, no one teaches Potions better than you do, sir.”

“Oh, Potter,” Professor Slughorn laughed, waving his hand dismissively. “Off to your seats, all of you. We are about to start brewing a Draught of Peace. Now, I know this is fifth-year level in preparation of the O.W.L.s but I thought we should brush up on our knowledge. You never know when it could be handy!”

Instead of Natasha pulling out the chair next to me, it was Remus. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised she would sit next to Black. I turned around in my chair to see her where I expected. My eyes drifted to a desk adjacent to them and Potter was next to Peter. I never would’ve thought that would happen.

“Do you mind if I sit here?” Remus asked, pulling out his potions book.

“Not at all,” I replied, a smile easing on my face. “You know I prefer you here then another attempt from Potter.”

Oh no, I thought to myself, mentally slapping my hand to my forehead. I’m always bringing up Potter, aren’t I? Why! I don’t even like that arrogant, oh-look-at-me-I’m-so-popular git. Remus smiled sympathetically to me and a second later we were both getting out of our seats in order to pick the ingredients we needed.

For the most part we worked in silence, occasionally commenting on our progress and checking to see if one cauldron was turning out a similar scent and color as the other. As I was leaning forward to check on my cauldron, a loud clashing sound next to me made me jump. Remus had fainted, bringing his cauldron on top of him.

“Remus!” Potter called, running over to him. Black left his seat and crouched next to Remus on the floor.

“Professor, what’s wrong with him?” Black asked nervously. “He’s been ill the past few days but now he’s passed out on the floor.”

“Did he faint?” I asked, to no one in particular.

“Move over, Mr. Black,” Professor Slughorn said, uncomfortably crouching down to check on Remus. “Looks like the boy fainted but with the Draught of Peace on him, he’s been put into a very deep sleep. We’ll be lucky if we can wake him, it smells as if he added too much Valerian root.”

“What do you mean, lucky if he wakes up?” Potter asked anxiously.

“If you add too many ingredients, it may put the drinker into a deep”and in some cases irreversible”sleep,” I said, speaking up.

“Why did you let this happen?” Black asked indignantly. “You were sitting right next to him! How could you have not noticed?”

“I’m sorry for not doing the potion for him!” I quipped, my cheeks burning at this confrontation. “We were comparing our cauldrons for a while but this takes a lot of concentration!”

“It’s not Lily’s fault,” Potter said, placing a hand on his mate’s shoulder. “Remus has other things on his mind, like his current illness. He must not have paid attention.”

Black was silent until Professor Slughorn spoke up again.

“You boys should carry him to see Madame Pomfrey. Explain to her the situation and hope she can find a cure to wake him up.”

“Maybe it would be better if we let him stay asleep until his… illness passes,” Potter whispered to Black.

I could see why that might be a good idea. But if Remus is sick now, I don’t see how he would wake up healthy again unless Madame Pomfrey gave him something to make him feel better…

Potter, Black, and Peter lifted Remus up and carried him out the room. The room seemed to erupt in chatter when the boys left and Professor Slughorn had to raise his voice to get the room silent again.

“Since we are almost out of time,” Professor Slughorn announced, “I would like you all to give me a sample of your draught and I will grade them accordingly.”

He walked over to my cauldron and took a peek. It was emitting a silvery-vapour and Professor Slughorn nodded in approval. “Full marks as usual, Miss Evans!”

I took a sample and quickly brought it over to his desk like the other students. As I was tidying my desk Natasha hurried over to me.

“What was that about?” she asked, helping me clean Remus’ desk.

“I have no idea,” I replied, stuffing his materials in the bag left behind.

“I hope he’s okay,” Natasha said sympathetically. “Do you think he’ll wake up?”

“Hopefully he didn’t add too many ingredients,” I replied, pushing the chairs in and heading for the door. “I think Madame Pomfrey’s seen worse though.”

“Should we take his bag to the hospital wing?” Natasha asked, carrying the bag with hers.

“I can keep it in my room until he comes back,” I suggested as we started climbing the many stairs to our common room.

Natasha pulled me through a shortcut behind a tapestry and replied, “Well, you know, I can always give it to Sirius and he can put it in their room.”

“I guess so,” I replied. “How are things going with Black? What you see in him I have no idea.”

“Oh, come on,” Natasha proclaimed, shaking her head. “You’re just not looking for the right qualities that he and James share.”

“Oh, and now you’re on Potter’s side, hmm?” I quipped, making a face at her.

“Well,” she started, “when you spend a little time with the Marauders you see they’re not so bad after all.”

“You’re going mad,” I laughed at her, rolling my eyes. “Not so bad?”

She shoved me playfully, “They really aren’t! They’re nice, extremely loyal to one another, funny, they’re all quite handsome really…”

“Oh, Natasha,” I sighed. “You really are losing it.”

“James really is in love with you,” she began.

“Not you too!” I blurted out. “You’re not supposed to be on his side!”

“But he is!” Natasha insisted. “The way he talks about you… it would seem as if you two have been in love since the first year.”

“Please, stop,” I said, raising my hand to silence her. “We’ve only just arrived to school and you’re acting as if you’re a Marauder yourself.”

“Maybe I will become one of them,” she suggested. “Maybe Sirius and I are meant to be.”

“Ha!” I laughed. “Good luck with holding on to him. He never seems to be able to hold on to a girl before jumping into another one’s skirt!”

Natasha looked really offended. We had reached the portrait of the Fat Lady by now and she stood glaring at me with her arms crossed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she demanded.

“Well, you know,” I said uncomfortably, crossing my arms, “Black is always with one girl or the other.”

“And you think he’s going to cheat on me?” she accused, narrowing her eyes.

“I can’t predict the future!” I exclaimed. “It’s Black we’re talking about! Not Peter or Remus.”

“He fancies me, Lily,” she pleaded, “why can’t you just be happy for me?”

“I am happy for you,” I replied weakly. “I just…”

“What?” Natasha demanded, crossing her arms in a menacing position.

Are you girls going to say the password or are you going to stand here and argue all day?” the Fat Lady demanded.

“What?” Natasha continued, ignoring the Fat Lady.

“It’s nothing,” I replied, shaking my head as if to dismiss the conversation. I turned to the Fat Lady and answered, “Bread pudding.”

What were you going to say?” Natasha asked, following me through the portrait hole. “What? You just never thought Sirius would ever like me? Was that it, Lily?”

“No,” I denied, not meeting her eyes.

“You never were a good liar, Lily,” Natasha said, catching on to my flaring nostrils that always gave me away. “I can’t believe you pretended to be happy for me, always encouraging me to say something to him.”

“But, Natasha-,” I started, before she interrupted me.

“I don’t want to hear it, Lily,” Natasha sighed, leaning from one foot to the other. “I need to be alone.”

She turned around and headed to her room, leaving me staring after her while I replayed the whole conversation in my head.

What just happened?” I thought to myself as I went up the stairs to my own room.


He was right on time. Potter met me outside the portrait hole to do our Head duties of patrolling the halls. We started from the seventh floor down. It wasn’t until we had reached the fifth floor that I realized how quiet it was. How come Potter wasn’t talking my ear off or trying to flirt with me?

“You’re unusually quiet. Was Madame Pomfrey able to wake up Remus?” I asked hesitantly, deciding to take interest in looking at anything but Potter.

“Oh, yes,” Potter replied hastily, as if I had snapped him out of some deep thought.

Potter, in deep thought? I laughed to myself. What could ever be worth pondering so deeply about in Potter’s life? Quidditch trials? Making his hair look perfectly messy? Wait, I mean messy. Why would I think perfectly messy? I shook my head to rid of the thought and tried to revive the conversation.

“How is he?” I asked, spotting Peeves down a corridor.

“Who?” Potter asked. “Oh, Remus, right. Madame Pomfrey was able to wake him up within two hours but he’s still ill. She wants to keep him over night to make sure he’ll be all right. He might stay tomorrow too.”

“That’s some illness Remus gets,” I replied sympathetically. “Poor Remus…”

“Ooh Head Boy Potter and Head Girl Evans out to patrol together,” Peeves cackled. “Out for a midnight stroll in the castle!”

“Peeves!” I called, tiredly. Please don’t cause any trouble tonight!

“Want some alone time with your Head Boy, Evans?” Peeves continued, smiling gleefully. “Trying to find an empty classroom to spend some quality time alone?”

“Shut up, Peeves,” Potter spoke up. “Go cause trouble somewhere else tonight.”

“That I will do,” Peeves laughed. He zoomed away singing, “Potter and Evans sitting in a tree. S-N-O-G-G-I-N-G. First comes loooooove then comes marriage…”

“Oh, Peeves,” I muttered under my breath.

We continued walking in silence, despite the awkward moment with Peeves. I think awkward because usually Potter laughs along with Peeves, encouraging him. Now Potter is quiet on his own and trying to get Peeves to shut up. Has it actually happened? Has Potter moved on to someone else? I couldn’t take the silence any longer. Instead, I felt uncomfortable with this changed Potter. I don’t know what to expect from him, therefore I don’t know how to act around him.

“Why are you so quiet, Potter?” I asked, a little accusingly though I didn’t mean to sound so.

“I’m just thinking,” he replied, continuing to look ahead on our patrol.

“You, thinking?” I laughed. “Come on, what’s really on your mind?”

“Must you always sound so degrading to me?” Potter answered, looking a bit red. “I do have a brain. I do use it occasionally, though yes, sometimes I do stupid things, it doesn’t mean I can’t think for myself.”

“I-I,” embarrassed, I stuttered while turning red myself. “I didn’t mean to…”

“No,” Potter replied. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have snapped like that. I’ve just got a load on my mind. I’ll- I’ll patrol this corridor. You go on, I’ll see you later.”

He left me at the next turn, leaving me in silence. What just happened? I thought, continuing the patrol. Why do I feel like… like I did something bad?


I didn’t see Potter later that night. I didn’t expect to see anyone in the common room by the time I entered it.

“Black?” I called, as I edged closer to the comfortable armchair by the fire.

I had startled him, as he had been sleeping.

“Evans?” he asked groggily. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

“Why?” I asked suspiciously.

“I don’t know why you dislike me and James so much. We’re not bad people, even if we do get ourselves in detention every so often. I just don’t want you to make Natasha choose between me and you.”

“She told you about our argument?”

“She didn’t have to. I saw her shortly afterwards, saw she was upset. When I asked her why, she said you two had an argument. It doesn’t take a genius to guess why.”

“Oh well… That’s none of your business. Look, I wanted to ask you something about Potter.”

“Realized your true feelings for James?” he teased.

“Actually,” I started. “He’s changed a bit, hasn’t he? When we were patrolling, I might have come off sounding a bit mean and I could tell he was preoccupied with some thought-”

“Well that’s none of your business, is it?” Sirius answered.

I blushed, “Yeah, I guess so.”

I turned around and headed to my room when Sirius answered, “He’s had some rough issues to deal with since this past summer.”

“Like what?” I asked, though not normally nosy as to what goes on in Potter’s life, I was a little curious as to what was going on in that head of his.

“Family issues,” he replied. “His father has been targeted, trying to be recruited as a Death Eater. Of course, he keeps rejecting them. Something about him always fighting for the Order. So now his family isn’t quite safe. You happy to know now?”

I was speechless. I could never have thought of that. I also felt like I had intruded on something private, I regretted asking. I turned back to my room when Sirius called to me again.

“Oh, and Evans?” Sirius asked.

I turned to face him.

“Maybe this year,” he started, “you should take it easy on Potter. He’s going through a lot. He doesn’t deserve you.”

That last sentence stung. For the past however many years he’s been chasing me, I’ve always thought of it that he never deserved me. All my snide comments I’ve made to him, the mean things I’ve said, I never thought that maybe I didn’t deserve him.

End Notes:
I hope you liked this chapter! I'm excited for the next few to come!
Chapter Five: Fight at the Whomping Willow Part One by siriusly_confused
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long wait! I hope the wait is worth it!

I never would have expected the year to turn out like this, I thought, going through the motions of getting ready before breakfast. Potter doesn’t like me and Natasha hasn’t talked to me in days. This is supposed to be the best year of my life! How can it be when there are Death Eaters destroying shops and killing people? I need to do something...

A knock on my door startled me. Pulling on my school robe, I cracked the door open.

–Lily!” Natasha cried, pushing her way inside. She walked to the edge of my bed and sat down, breaking into sobs.

–Natasha!” I exclaimed, hurrying over to her side. I put an arm around her as she tried to stifle her tears.

–It-It’s a letter from my Auntie Rose,” she said, pulling out a piece of parchment from her robe. –R-read it.”

I quickly scanned it. My heart kept sinking with each word as I re-read the brief letter in case I missed something.

–He’s gone!” she proclaimed, breaking into a fresh wave of tears. –My dad! Auntie Rose was supposed to come over for dinner last night because she has been keeping him company since Mum left. The house wasn’t ravaged or anything but there was no sign of Dad. No note, just gone.”

–What if he’s just gone in to hiding somewhere?” I suggested, rubbing her back consolingly but that only brought another wail.

–Hiding?” she gasped. –From who? My mum? Since she left everyone says she’s on the ‘dark side’ but that can’t be true!”

–Your mum can’t be working for Death Eaters,” I said, shaking her shoulders. –Maybe your dad is finally going to look for her. Maybe he’s trying to help bring her back.”

–I don’t know,” she cried, defeated as she lay back on my bed. –Lily, you’re like a sister to me. We can’t fight again.”

–I know,” I agreed. I stood up, pulling her with me. –I’m sorry. I didn’t mean what I said. I’m happy for you to be dating Sirius.”

–You mean it?” she asked, sitting up and wiping her tears.

–Yes,” I replied, while my stomach grumbled. –Can we go get breakfast now?”

–Give me a second,” she sniffed, wiping her nose as I grabbed my schoolbooks. –I don’t want Sirius to see me looking like this.”

Natasha wiped her eyes and quickly combed her hair with her fingers. Her eyes were still red but there wasn’t much she could do about that. Putting on a brave face she stood up and followed me out the door.


"Sirius!” Natasha exclaimed as we found him and Potter walking towards us. –Why weren’t you at breakfast and Transfiguration class?”

Natasha had missed Sirius at breakfast, and while it wasn’t uncommon for the –Marauders” to miss class now and then, it was still only the first week of classes.

–We were visiting Remus in the hospital wing,” Sirius answered from Natasha’s side, putting an arm around her shoulder as we walked together to Herbology.

–How is he doing?” I asked, truly concerned because Remus was the only one in their group I could stand.

–He woke up from the Draught of Peace yesterday,” Potter answered from Sirius’ side, surprising me as I had forgotten he was there. Potter usually tries to walk next to me in his attempts to woo me. My right side felt empty without him there… Shouldn’t that be a good thing?

–Then why is he still in the hospital wing?” Natasha asked, looking to Sirius for an answer.

–He’s still ill,” Potter continued. –Madame Pomfrey thought it best he stay a few more nights until he is well enough for classes again.”

–Poor Remus,” I noted, –he always seems to be sick.”

–He was born with a weak immune system,” Sirius replied. –That’s why he’s always ill.”

–Oh,” Natasha said, joining in. –Isn’t there a potion he could take to make him feel better before he gets too ill?”

–He’s better off resting in the hospital wing,” Sirius answered with a final note in his voice on the topic. –So, babe,” he addressed Natasha, –I’m going to have to cancel our little rendezvous tonight. I’ll make up for it tomorrow?”

He stopped to kiss her quickly on the mouth, leaving her flustered before replying, –Oh, okay then.”

We reached greenhouse two on time, following the Ravenclaw’s inside. After our arrival, Professor Sprout immediately began the lesson on preparing us for our N.E.W.T.s.

–I still don’t know why I’m taking this class,” Natasha whispered to me while Professor Sprout wasn’t looking. –I won’t need it once I’m working with my Auntie Rose for the magazine "Wizard Entertainment". After that, I’ll hopefully be married to Sirius and raising our three little boys…”

I rolled my eyes at her as she sighed, picturing her future. I kept my mouth shut instead of impressing on her my doubts of Sirius bothering to settle down.

–…And we’ll live in the countryside next to you and Potter,” she continued, when I quickly glared at her. –In a perfect world you would be married to him, you know that would be true…”

I shook my head at her, bringing my attention back to Professor Sprout, who was still going on about how we should take out N.E.W.T.s very seriously. Soon everyone’s attention was captured by what looked like a fourth year running towards our greenhouse.

–P-P-Professor,” the student wheezed upon racing up to our teacher. He doubled over, hands on his knees while he caught his breath. Everyone looked around at each other as if someone knew what the excitement was about. Then the student stood up straight and with his regained breath said, –Professor McGonagall wants to see James Potter.”

Everyone’s eyes landed curiously on Potter. He seemed unsure of why he would be summoned but after Professor Sprout told him to get a move on he merely shrugged his shoulders. After a quick glance at Sirius, he left, leaving everyone to chatter about what he could be wanted for.

–I bet it’s to do with a prank he and those Marauders were going to pull in a few days,” a tall Ravenclaw girl speculated to her friend.

–Oy!” Sirius called, startling the girl. –We didn’t plan anything!”

–I bet it just has to do with Quidditch,” a Ravenclaw whispered to his friend. –McGonagall’s been obsessing over Gryffindor keeping their winning streak.”

Natasha and I shook our heads at all the assumptions going on around us. I couldn’t help but wonder myself why Professor McGonagall would want to pull Potter out of class. Professor Sprout had to shout a few times to calm everyone down but throughout the rest of class time, you could still hear a few people gossiping.

At the end of class Natasha and I followed Sirius up to the castle for lunch. Poor Peter was lagging behind us trying to get a word in with Sirius, but he paid Peter no attention. We sat down at the Gryffindor table but Potter wasn’t back yet. He couldn’t have gotten into serious trouble with Professor McGonagall already?

–Sirius?” Natasha asked, interrupting him from taking a bite out of his roast beef sandwich. –Do you know why Professor McGonagall would want to see James?”

Since Sirius and I weren’t on the best of terms since our last private conversation, I pretended to pay attention to the back of a Daily Prophet the girl across from me was reading.

–I really have no idea,” he replied honestly. –Everyone is so worked up about it but I doubt it is anything important. Maybe it has to do with some Head stuff.”

–Wouldn’t she have asked for Lily then, too?” Natasha asked, glancing at me.

–I had nothing to do with it,” I answered, going back to my meat pie.

Potter did show up to our class after lunch. He sat next to Sirius, as he usually does, looking normal. So for whatever reason he was gone, it couldn’t have been that bad. The gossip from earlier in Herbology seemed to have been forgotten. A part of me wanted to ask but Potter and I haven’t exactly been on speaking terms the past few days. Of course there was still Head duties, but Potter managed to speak minimal amount of words to me. Maybe tonight I could change that and we could have an actual conversation.


I looked at my watch a little impatiently. It was shortly after nine o’clock, just the time to start patrolling the corridors. Potter was still nowhere to be found! Walking over to the plump, comfy chairs by the fire I took a seat to wait for Potter. I watched the minute hand on my watch slowly make its way to the thirty minute mark and sat up. Potter obviously was not going to show up for Head duty tonight. Just when I was on the verge of being nice to him, this is how he repays me! By skipping out on Head duty, thus leaving me to patrol the corridors of Hogwarts alone. He was going to hear from me tomorrow…


–Potter!” I exclaimed, stopping him in his tracks as I pulled on his robe. –Just wait one minute! I need to talk to you!”

–Yes, Lily?” Potter asked, turning around to face me with an innocent look on his face.

–Where were you last night? Did you forget about our Head duties?” I asked, narrowing my eyes at him. –So much for the responsibility Professor Dumbledore must have thought he had,” I added silently in my head.

–No I didn’t, and I was out,” he simply replied, unfolding my fingers from his robe. He continued walking to breakfast with his mates as if I had never stopped him.

–Oh that- that-,” I started, fists clenched by my side, –that prat!”

–Who’s a prat?” Natasha asked, joining me in the common room.

–Just Potter,” I replied, shaking my head. –He skipped out on patrolling last night.”

–Just you wait,” Natasha said, taking my arm in hers and leading me down to breakfast. –You two are going to make such a lovely couple.”

–Over my dead body,” I growled.


–Are you ready to do our nightly rounds, Evans?” Potter asked as I came out of my room.

I jumped, not expecting Potter to be standing outside my door. He laughed at me while I pushed past him.

–I’m always ready,” I retorted, making my way to the portrait hole. –Unlike somebody who doesn’t know what responsibility means.”

–Hey!” he exclaimed, walking faster to catch up to me. –Last night was the only time I skipped. You don’t need to give me such a hard time about it.”

–Then why were you skipping?” I asked, turning to face him. I crossed my arms waiting for an answer. –There must be a pretty good reason behind it.”

–That is none of your business,” he replied, continuing to the stairway.

–Potter!” I called walking after him. –You will answer me right now!”

–Why?” he asked, not bothering to stop.

–I’m Head Girl!” I answered, catching on to his sleeve to stop him from moving any farther.

–What has that got to do with anything?” he asked stopping. He stood uncomfortably close to me.

–We have duties,” I replied, taking a step back. –We’re supposed to be good examples for students and we can’t be skipping out on our responsibilities.”

–No one watches our patrol,” he said, rather testily. –So I don’t think anyone will notice my bad example.”

–Then where were you?” I asked, repeating my earlier question.

–Like I said, it’s none of your business.”

–Why can’t you tell me?”

–Because I just can’t, Evans. Can you please drop it?”

–Okay then what did Professor McGonagall want from you yesterday?”

He sighed, –Can we stop the one hundred questions please?”

–Is something wrong? Why would she want to see you?”

–Evans!” he exclaimed, annoyed. –She wanted to see how I was doing, that’s all.”

–Why would she want to do that?” I asked curiously.

–Death Eaters keep harassing my family, trying to get my father to join them. My family might have to go into hiding and they’re worried Death Eaters might come after me too. Are you happy now?”

–No,” I answered softly, shocked at this news.

–I’m going to go patrol down this corridor,” he said, pointing to the right.

–Potter, wait!” I called after him as he started to walk away. He raised a hand as if waving me away.

I really did it this time, I thought to myself sadly. All those years we’ve been to school together, all those years he’s chased after me… Now he’s got bigger things to worry about then asking me out. I need to fix this somehow. We can’t spend the rest of the year like this, or worse, ignoring each other.


–Lily?” Natasha asked, waving a hand in front of my face. –Lily?”

–Sorry,” I said, shaking my head to clear away my thoughts. –What’s up?”

–I was trying to ask if you wanted to go down by the lake to do our Transfiguration essay,” she said, sitting up straighter in her seat. –Sitting in the library isn’t helping me focus, not when it looks so sunny outside the window.”

–That sounds like a good idea,” I agreed, noticing the clear blue sky. –A bit of air may motivate us. It’s too stuffy in here.”

We stood up and packed up our parchment and books on Transfiguration. Professor McGonagall had assigned us a particularly long essay to write, all in preparation for our N.E.W.T.s, she had said. Next week, we would be learning the theory of animagi, a particularly hard transformation, but to the dismay of many classmates, we would not ourselves attempt to become one.

By the time we were reaching the grounds, the sun disappeared behind some clouds. Students began to rush past us, knocking my bag to the stone floor.

–What’s going on?” Natasha asked me, holding her books tightly to her chest. She stopped a fellow seventh year and asked, –Where’s everyone going?”

–There’s about to be a fight at the Whomping Willow!” she answered excitedly.

–Between who?” Natasha asked, not letting go of her sleeve yet.

–The Marauders and that Slytherin they always fight with!”

I looked at Natasha, who looked just as excited as everyone else.

–Come on, lets go!” she said, pulling me along.

We ran towards the Whomping Willow where a ring of students surrounded the Marauders and Severus. My stomach twisted in knots as I watched them taunting each other. Severus used to be so nice. Why did he have to turn bad?

–On your period again, Remus?” Severus asked, taunting poor Remus who was shoved behind Potter and Black. –Missing classes because you’re too ill? Or does a full moon have something to do with it?”

–Shut up!” Potter yelled, pointing his wand at Severus. –Shut up or you’ll regret every word coming out of that ugly mouth of yours.”

–I don’t think you want to duel me, Potter,” Severus drawled, pointing his wand at Potter. –Like you, I have reinforcements.”

Four of his fellow Death Eater friends joined Severus from out of nowhere, standing behind him with their wands pointing at the Marauders.

–Like we’d ever be scared of you,” Black jumped in, stepping closer gripping his wand tight.

–Like we’d ever be scared of you,” Evan Rosier mimicked. –Come on, Snape, when are we going to teach these stupid boys a lesson?”

–Oh I think soon enough,” Severus answered.

They all began to circle one another, never taking their eyes off each other. Oddly enough, Peter was nowhere to be found while Remus, not usually a participant in Potter and Black’s duels stuck close behind them, ready to attack.

–Try out your new spell, Snape,” Wilkes said, egging him on.

–Yeah, Snape, try it out,” Rosier agreed, laughing.

Severus looked around at the crowd, not quite smiling, but close. Severus stopped smiling years ago.

–Let’s show these students exactly why they shouldn’t mess with us,” Severus said, on the verge of shouting a spell.

I couldn’t take watching anymore. I couldn’t stand that Severus dabbled in the Dark Arts. Worst of all, I couldn’t stand by watching Potter get hurt.

–James!” I shouted, breaking the ring of bystanders as I ran towards him.

–Lily?” he said, turning to face me in wonder of my random interruption of this duel.

It was at that exact moment that Severus took advantage of James’ unawareness that he shouted at James, –Sectumsempra!”

James fell to the ground, clutching his chest as blood started to ooze out of him. He stared at me in shock, then looked down at the blood and fainted. Black ran towards Severus, screaming and cursing at him but Severus only stared at me, crouching over James.

–How could you?” I said softly, looking up at Severus, unable to help the tears welling in my eyes.

–Snape,” Wilkes called, –we better leave.”

Remus and Sirius carried James to the hospital wing while Natasha ran to help me back up.

–Is he dead?” Natasha asked, face white with shock. –Is James dead?”

–I don’t think so,” I replied shakily. –I- I don’t know.”

–Well come on then,” she cried, pulling me up. –Let’s go follow the boys to the hospital wing.”

I stared at the space Snape was once standing, unbelieving that the boy who told me I was special, the boy who told me all about Hogwarts and made me feel better about Petunia calling me names, could do such dark magic. Worst of all I couldn't believe that he almost killed a student at school.

Chapter Six: So Far So Good by siriusly_confused

–He’s waking up!”

–Prongs! How are you feeling mate?”

–You scared us pretty bad!”

I opened my eyes, slowly making out the blurry outlines of my best friends. I reached for my glasses on the stand beside me. With clearer vision I noticed Lily and Natasha standing behind the group. Madame Pomfrey came bustling through the crowd and began inspecting me, making a fuss.

–How are you feeling, Mr. Potter?” she asked, standing impatiently beside me.

–Fine, I think,” I replied, not sure what damage had been done. All I could remember was Snape pointing his wand at me and Lily calling my name. My chest was bleeding. My hand flew to my chest but I felt nothing.

–Out! Out!” Madame Pomfrey ordered, shooing everyone away. –I need to check Mr. Potter’s wounds.”

I watched my friends leave, already anxious for them to come back so I could hear what happened.

–That was a nasty spell you took to the chest,” Madame Pomfrey said, pulling the curtains around us for privacy. –I’ll never understand the foolishness of experimenting with spells! Students always end up with horrible results. Now unbutton your shirt, please.”

Helpless, I did as I was told. She pressed her fingers lightly on my chest tracing faint, white scars.

–That’s new!” I exclaimed. What the hell did Snape do to me?

–They are the result of patching you up, Mr. Potter,” she said, taking an ointment out from her pocket. –They will disappear in a week if you rub this on your chest every night before you go to bed.”

–So I’m free to go?” I asked, trying to sit up.

She pushed me back down and began to dab some of the white cream on the scars. It was cold, but at least it had no smell.

–Not quite yet, Mr. Potter,” she replied, putting the cream away. –I want you to stay overnight for observation. I’ve never dealt with such a wicked spell!”

–Can I see my friends at least?” I said, while propping myself on my elbows.

–You may,” she answered. She opened the curtains, pausing as she turned to leave, –I’ll check on you in a few hours.”

I heard her footsteps fade away. I lay back down, waiting for company to free me from boredom. It wasn’t long before I heard multiple footsteps walking my way.

–Prongs! How are you feeling?” Sirius asked anxiously.

–I’m okay,” I replied, sitting up against my pillow. –What happened? Did someone at least hit Snape with a spell?”

–That bloody Slytherin shouted a curse at you and your chest began to bleed like it was cut,” Sirius answered.

–I’ve never seen a spell like that before,” Remus said, taking a seat next to me. –It must have been one he made up.”

–Can you really make up a curse like that?” I asked.

–It’s a lot of research and hard work to make sure you get it right,” he replied, –but yes.”

–Why did Madame Pomfrey sound as if we were experimenting with spells?” I said, looking to each of them for an answer. It struck me as odd that Peter wasn’t with them. I added, –Where’s Peter?”

–Peter said he had some homework to do,” Remus said, –and-,”

–We made it up that we were experimenting with spells,” Sirius interrupted. –As much as it would give us great pleasure in seeing Snape expelled, it would be even better to get revenge on him.”

–And how do you propose we do that?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

–I have an idea in mind,” Sirius replied, glancing at Remus with a look of mischief.

–What’s that look for?” Remus said to Sirius, looking at him warily.

–Oh, nothing,” Sirius said, grinning.

–So is Madame Pomfrey going to let you leave?” Remus said, changing the subject.

–No, she wants to observe me overnight,” I said glumly.

–We’ll make sure to sneak in some food for you from the kitchens after dinner,” Sirius said.

The sound of footsteps echoing made us all look over to the new company. It wasn’t Madame Pomfrey as expected, but Lily.

–Feeling better I hope?” she asked timidly, walking closer to my side.

I glanced at Sirius then Remus questioningly. Did they ask her to come here? They shook their heads discreetly and I turned my attention back to Lily.

–Yes, thanks,” I replied. –I don’t really remember everything that happened.”

She stood awkwardly, twisting a ring around on her finger.

–Why are you here?” I asked bluntly. –Here to see if the Head Boy is up for rounds tonight?”

–I- I just-,” she stammered. This wasn’t the cool, confident Lily I knew for several years. She choked out, –I just wanted to see if you were okay. I thought you were dying.”

Is she actually worried about me? I thought. Or is she going to scold me for the confrontation with Snape?

–Well you know what would make me feel better?” I said to her.

–If I went on a date with you?” she said, attempting to laugh it off like her usual self.

–If you could be nice to me instead of assuming all I want is to get into your knickers would be nice,” I said a little harshly.

She looked temporarily shocked as I said this. A faint blush reddened her cheeks in embarrassment.

–I- I’m sorry,” she said, turning on her heels to leave. She walked quickly out of the hospital wing, not even turning to glance back.

The guys sat stunned, waiting for me to speak. I crossed my arms, feeling a little guilty over the way I spoke to her. Sirius broke the silence first.

–What was that all about?” he asked, giving me a concerned look.

–Step two of Operation: Lily,” I said.

Remus groaned. –Mate, girls hate it when guys play games.”

–And how would you know, Virgin Moony?” Sirius teased, laughing. –It does drive girls crazy, but they love it!”

Remus shook his head. –Maybe that’s what you think.”

–But look,” I said, trying to reason with him, –I think Lily actually cares about me now!”

–How do you think she’ll feel if she finds out about this ‘operation’?” Remus asked, reprimanding me.

–She would be very flattered that I’ve thought of an ingenious way to get her to fall in love with me,” I said.

–And what if she finds out that Sirius dating Natasha is all just ‘part of the plan’?” Remus continued. –I think that will make her feel the opposite of love, mate.”

–She won’t find out, will she?” I said, glaring at him to make sure he got the message. Moony would never betray my loyalty like that.

–Let’s hope so,” he muttered. He checked his watch, jumping up in surprise. –I forgot! I have to go to the library and study for our Defense Against the Dark Arts exam.”

–Moony, that’s not for another week!” Sirius exclaimed, looking amused.

–I know but it’s never too early to start studying,” he said. –Besides, I have to make sure I get the answers right. We all know who you’ll be cheating from anyway.”

–Get to work then!” Sirius said, shooing him away. –I’ll see you later in the Great Hall for dinner.”

–Bye, mates,” Remus said, waving as he turned to leave in a hurry.

Once Remus was out of earshot I asked Sirius, –So what is this revenge plan to get back at old Snivelly?”

–Well it’s pretty obvious he suspects something’s up with Moony and his monthly moments,” Sirius said, leaning forward in case anyone overheard.

–Yeah, he does seem to know what Moony is.”

–Well what if we get him to follow us to the Whomping Willow during Moony’s next transformation? It would give him a right scare! Maybe even shut him up if he gets hurt.”

–I would love to see the look on Snivellus’ face! But Padfoot, we can’t control Moony. What if he seriously injures Snape?”

–Then we’ll take him the hospital wing, tell Madame Pomfrey he got attacked by the Whomping Willow, and hope he’ll just have to miss the rest of the year.”

–And when we bring him in at midnight what are we going to say when she asks what we were doing out?”

–Hm, I haven’t thought that far into the plan. Any ideas?”

–I guess we could say we faked a note from a girl telling him to meet at the Whomping Willow. It’s not like we’re strangers to punishment.”

–That could work. Full moon is in a few weeks, right?”

–I think so. When we have Potions with the Slytherins, we should drop a note by his desk, pretending it’s from me to you. It can say something like, ‘Meet me by the Whomping Willow tonight and let’s see what Moony’s been up to during these monthly escapades.”

–Perfect! Old Snivelly won’t be able to resist that. That’s if he’ll be able to read the note with that greasy hair hanging in his face.”

–Great. We can’t let Moony know then of our plan, or Wormtail. He’d never be able to keep this a secret.”

–Yeah, we definitely can’t let Wormtail know. When’s our next Operation meeting going to take place?”

–It will be tomorrow after Transfiguration. It’ll have to be a quick meeting since we have Charms after our break.”

–All right, I’ll let Moony and Wormtail know when I see them.”

Sirius’s stomach grumbled audibly. He stood up, looking apologetic at leaving me alone.

–I’ll be back with some proper food for you soon,” he said, standing up. –Just practice that transfiguration spell on your food, turn it into buttons!”

–Thanks mate,” I said, shifting uncomfortably in my cot. –See you later.”


I paced back and forth past a blank wall across from the tapestry of Barnabas the Barby. I kept the thought of the perfect lounge room to hold the Operation: Lily meeting when a door appeared in front of me. I walked inside to wait for the other Marauders to meet me.

The room was, of course, perfect. A wide fireplace sat against the far wall with four long, deep blue couches. I walked over and sank down on one. Ah, yes. It was perfectly soft and if I wasn’t careful, I could fall asleep on it in no time. I stood up and inspected the room. It was small and square. A bookcase stood against one wall. I tried to keep it in mind for Moony since he always liked to find books to read. Against the other wall was a round table with platters of various snacks and desserts. I grabbed a chocolate chip cookie as big as my hand and went to sit on a couch. I grabbed the operation parchments out of my pocket and began to read over them.

The door screeched against the flagstone flooring, and I looked up to see Padfoot and Moony stride in with Wormtail behind them.

–Nice room this time,” Sirius said, gazing around the room before grabbing a brownie off a tray.

–This room never ceases to amaze me,” Remus said, taking a look at the books.

–Yes, yes, we can look at the room better after our meeting,” I said impatiently. –We only have a little bit of time before we go to Charms.”

I waited for them to settle on the couches before I looked at my parchments for reference. Passing one along, I began to inform them the successes of the first two tasks.

–Operation: Lily has had a very fruitful beginning,” I said, standing in front of the fire. –I almost have Lily wrapped around my finger. We began the operation with Sirius asking Natasha out, which so far has been good?”

–Yes,” Sirius said, taking over as speaker. –At first she was pretty annoying but her snogging has at least made up for that. I have to say she’s starting to become a pretty good girlfriend though, always bringing me food. She knows how I like to eat between classes.”

–That’s because we’re men, Padfoot,” Remus said, rolling his eyes. –Since when are we not hungry?”

–Anyway,” I said, putting us back on topic, –Being nice to Lily has caught her attention. She’s so used to me flirting with her that she assumes that’s all I have to say. Now that I’ve started to ignore her, I think she’s starting to realize I have more important things in my life. Which isn’t true- well, sort of but she is the main component of my life.”

–What’s part three then, Prongs?” Wormtail asked.

–I’m getting to that!” I exclaimed. –Are you gentlemen familiar with the sixth year Gryffindor Emily Phillips?”

–Do you mean that hot, dark haired girl that’s always studying in the common room?” Sirius asked.

–That’s the one,” I replied. –Rumor has it she’s fancied me for a while. I was thinking of asking her out. What do you boys think?”

–Do it!” Peter exclaimed, jumping in his seat.

–Go for it, mate,” Sirius said, grinning. –She’s beautiful, tan, and bilingual.”

–What about Lily?” Remus asked, frowning. –I thought the point of this whole operation is to get the girl?”

–It is!” I reassured. –See, this way she’ll get jealous, and think I really have moved on. Then we’ll become close friends and relationships always work best when you’re friends first.”

–I don’t know if this is such a good idea,” Remus said, shaking his head.

–Moony, you’ve never supported this operation from the beginning,” I said. –Are you saying you’ll help out at least?”

–No,” he said, –but I will tell you when you’re being an idiot and Prongs, you’re being an idiot.”

–We’ll see when seventh year ends and I’ve got the girl,” I retorted. I frowned as I checked my watch. –It’s time to go to Charms. We’ll meet here for an update in a week or two, depending how step three goes.”

We left for Charms, but Moony’s words resonated in my mind. –Prongs, you’re being an idiot.” Am I? We sat in the back of the class and I found myself looking for the flaming red hair I loved so much.

There she is, I thought, finding Lily near the front sitting by Natasha. I longed for the day when I could run my fingers through that thick red hair of hers without having my hand slapped away. I knew that, deep down, Lily loved me. It’s only that for years she’d convinced herself she didn’t. It would take time to coax her true feelings out.

–Mr. Potter!” Professor Flitwick exclaimed, snapping me out of my reverie.

–Yes professor?” I asked, sitting up straighter.

"What do you want to be once you leave Hogwarts?” he asked.

–Er- an Auror, sir,” I answered, saying the first thing that came to mind.

–An admirable profession,” he said, –but I’m afraid you’ll have a hard time becoming one if you fail Charms!” I suggest you start paying attention if you’d like to pass.”

–Yes, Professor Flitwick,” I mumbled as Sirius snickered.

Sirius nudged me, whispering, –An Auror? Really?”

–It was the first thing that popped in my head,” I whispered back.

Now that Professor Flitwick mentioned it, I probably should think about my future career. Back in fifth year we had some counseling to get us on the right track, but I hadn’t taken it seriously. Now, I thought that maybe being an Auror would be a good idea. There’s a war going on, and I refuse to leave school just to end up in hiding. Someone’s got to give Voldemort a challenge!

My father did mention to me over the summer about the organization fighting the Death Eaters. Even Professor Dumbledore is in it! Imagine fighting alongside the headmaster, defeating Death Eaters, I thought to myself. I thought they were called the Order of the Phoenix. Lily would be impressed. She’s always called me irresponsible. We’d see that proved wrong!

–James!” Sirius called, elbowing me in the side. –We’re supposed to be practicing a spell.”

–Oh,” I said, glancing around the class where wands were out. Students were already practicing. –What’s the spell and what is it supposed to do?”

Remus sighed and quickly explained the theory to me. It wasn’t difficult, and after a few tries I managed to turn my feather invisible.

–Very good, Mr. Potter,” Professor Flitwick said approvingly as he passed my desk. He moved on to Sirius and I whispered thanks to Remus.

–Yeah, yeah,” Remus said, waving a hand in dismissal. He was busy helping Peter try to master the spell after successfully charming his feather invisible too.


–Potter?” Lily asked, tapping my shoulder. –Are you ready to do some rounds?”

I turned around and looked at the clock sitting on the mantelpiece about the fireplace.

–Yes,” I replied, glancing at my friends busy doing homework on the cushions. –Just give me a minute. I’ll meet you outside the portrait.”

–Okay,” she said warily. She turned to walk away and the boys looked up.

–Wish me luck, –I said, standing up from my seat.

–Wait, with what?” Sirius said, looking confused.

–With step three,” I said, looking over at my mission, currently busy scribbling notes while tracing words with a finger in a particularly large book.

"Ah,” Sirius said, catching my meaning. He winked at me, adding, –Good luck.”

I walked over to Emily, clearing my throat to catch her attention. She looked up and I flashed her a smile.

–Hello,” she said, turning in her seat. Even when she didn’t bother to wear makeup she still looked worth snogging, I admitted to myself.

–Hi, it’s Emily, right?” I asked, sticking out a hand.

–It is,” she replied, slowly reaching out a hand. She looked unsure as to why I was talking to her.

I shook her hand, saying, –I’m James Potter.”

–I know,” she replied, blushing.

–Emily,” I began, trying to look as confident as I could, –I was hoping you could answer a question for me…”

End Notes:
chapter seven should be up soon :)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83738