Wherever I Go by Scout_05
Summary: In the summer before year 7, Hermione frets over the dangerous times ahead. A trip to check on Ron and Harry turns into a rare heart to heart between the ginger fellow, and bushy haired lass. Short, sweet, & touched with humor. A "WhatCouldHaveBeen"
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1275 Read: 4678 Published: 07/09/09 Updated: 07/09/09

1. Chapter 1 by Scout_05

Chapter 1 by Scout_05
Hermione lifted her head from her pillow, and looked grudgingly at the rain-spattered window. A summer thunderstorm had woken her up when it rumbled overhead earlier that morning, and she had been unable to fall asleep since. She was fairly confidant that the rest of the household was sleeping peacefully. The Weasleys were notorious for being heavy sleepers, with the exception of Mrs. Weasley who was truly a Prewett at heart.

Hermione threw her legs over the side of the bed and shrugged a cardigan on over her nightdress. She shivered despite the woolly sweater and she knew that it had nothing to do with the temperature. Even in the homey warmth of The Burrow, Hermione was unable to shake the sense of dread that had been descending upon her. Voldemort; the most powerful dark wizard in history was alive, while Dumbledore; the only one he ever feared, was dead.

Hermione had been glad to return to the Burrow for the summer where she could be with her closest friends during this uncertain time. She turned towards Ginny’s bed and was happy to see her lying there safely in an untroubled doze. She bit her lip and tentatively began to walk towards the stairs.

Maybe I’ll check on Harry and Ron, she thought worriedly, This is ridiculous, she told herself firmly. Harry and Ron are fine! Voldemort didn’t stroll in, kill them in their sleep and creep out quietly, shutting the door behind him!

Despite her reasoning, Hermione found herself quietly padding towards Ron’s bedroom and easing the door open.

“Whoosair?” a voice called in the dark.

"Harry?" she whispered, "Is that you?"

"No." was the murmured response, "It's me. Hermione?"

Hermione pulled her cardigan tightly around her, and squinted into the dark room.

"Where are you?" she asked.

"Over here," Ron said hoarsley "Don't step on Harry!" he warned.

Hermione tiptoed towards his voice with her arms outstretched like a child playing Blind Man's Bluff.

"Harry's right there!" Ron called.

Hermione caught herself just in time and did a flying leap over the sleeping Harry nestled on his camp bed. It would have been very graceful had she not banged her shins in a collision with Ron's bed.

"Ow!" she gasped.

"Whussamatter?" Ron called groggily. Hermione clambered onto the bed and fell heavily onto Ron's leg.

"Hey!" he yelped loudly.

"Sorry!"

"What the bloody hell-"

"Shhhhhh!" Hermione hissed and slapped her finger to her mouth. She crawled over Ron's legs, sat on the bed with her back against the wall, and crossed her legs Indian style. Ron shifted over to sit against the wall with her, but his long, gangly legs dangled over the side of the bed. His ginger hair stuck up at the back from sleeping, and he had a crease on his cheek from lying crookedly on his pillow. He gave Hermione a lopsided grin and she stifled a laugh while wondering what her own bushy hair must look like.

"What are you doing up so early?" he asked while rubbing his eyes sleepily.

Hermione shrugged, "The rain woke me up and I couldn't fall back asleep."

Ron nodded tiredly and they sat together in silence for a few minutes.

"I just hate it." Hermione said suddenly while wringing her hands.

"Hate what?" Ron asked curiously.

"I hate not knowing when I'm leaving, or where I'll be going, or how long I'll be gone," she answered wearily, "Just makes me feel helpless. Doesn't it make you?" she asked.

"Not really," he said slowly, "I mean, wherever I go, you're going to be there," he said decisively as if that settled the matter.

Hermione made a small squeaking noise, and Ron suddenly looked wide-awake and alert.

"Er- So's Harry," he added hastily, "So I reckon I don't really mind where we're going or any of that if we're all going together," he finished gruffly.

Hermione nodded and pulled her knees to her chest, looking momentarily reassured. However within a minute, her face was full of concern again.

"Ron?" she asked.

He looked towards her.

"You won't do anything stupid and noble will you?" she asked.

"What do you mean will I do anything stupid?" Ron demanded, his voice rising indignantly.

"Shhh!" Hermione hissed again, her eyes darting towards Harry. "I mean like in first year, during the chess game - when you let the queen take you so Harry could get the stone!" she whispered fiercely.

Ron's face softened and his ears burned red."Well," he mumbled, "I might have to, er- you know- if doing it means helping Harry stop You-Know-Who," he said while staring down at his hands.

Both of them were painfully avoiding the word "die".

Hermione threw her hands around Ron's neck and he patted her back awkwardly."Hermione!" he spluttered, "I'm gonna be fine!" he cried incredulously.

"You don't know that Ron!" she said drawing away from him so she could look at him. "We're fighting Voldemort. You could die! Harry could die! I could die!" she said shrilly and buried her face in his neck once again.

Ron winced at hearing her last statement and tightened his hold on her waist. He sighed in a resigned sort of way, and screwed up his face thoughtfully. Having the emotional range of teaspoon did not fare Ron well during times such as this.

"Just don't think about that stuff," he told her, "Think of something else, like er. . .a nice new book?" he suggested.

Hermione snorted but relaxed her grip on him.

"Or. . .new parchment and freshly mown grass!" he continued with a sudden stroke of inspiration. That ought to distract her! he thought in a satisfied way.

Hermione blushed but shot back "And what do you smell when you sniff Amortentia?"

"Nothing," Ron mumbled with his head down. He hadn’t been expecting that and so hastened to speak before she could question him further.

"Doesn't matter," he said dismissively, "Think of the wedding and all the food mum's going to cook!" he told her, eager to keep her away from thoughts of Death Eaters and Voldemort.

"Only you could be comforted by thoughts of a feast while a war is waging," Hermione laughed.

"Fine," Ron said stubbornly and tried to think of a suitable distraction, "Er, think of your new wedding shoes," he offered.

Hermione snickered and shook her head disapprovingly.

"Well Fleur always cheers up when she talks about her shoes," he muttered and rubbed his long nose embarrassedly. "Then think of. . .all the dancing we- you'll do." he said before his ears began to redden in a tell tale way.

Hermione raised an eyebrow and looked at him expectantly.

"Er, you know with Harry, and Fred, or George, and er me if you'd like. . ." he trailed off and hung his head as his face went from red to crimson to bright scarlet.

There was a moment's silence before Hermione touched his arm lightly and whispered "I would like to."

Ron lifted his head to look at her uncertainly at her and she nodded with a small smile. A sheepish grin was slowly starting to spread across Ron's face and Hermione stifled a laugh.

"What?" Ron asked defensively.

Hermione shook her head and laughed into his shoulder, throwing her arms around his neck yet again. Ron rolled his eyes and heaved an exasperated sigh but wrapped his arms snugly around her middle. Hermione leaned her head comfortably on his chest and her laughter subsided.

"Are you going to be okay?" Ron teased.

"Yeah," Hermione said seriously, "Just so long as wherever I go, you're going to be there."
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83744