Best of Friends by FenrirG
Summary: Can Draco's brief childhood friendship with a Muggle girl withstand the test of time and adversity?

A songfic written to Disney's "Best of Friends", from The Fox and the Hound.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2305 Read: 1785 Published: 07/23/09 Updated: 07/24/09

1. Best of Friends by FenrirG

Best of Friends by FenrirG
“Behave yourself now, Draco,” said the tall man smoothly. “Your grandfather is doing us a great favor, watching you for the month. I expect you to be on your best behavior for him.”

“Of course, Father.” The little blond boy, no more than seven or eight years of age, nodded dutifully with his eyes glued to the ground. “Where’s Mummy?” He looked around hopefully.

“You already said goodbye to her back at the manor.” Lucius Malfoy gave his son a delicate pat on the shoulder before turning to his own father. “I trust he’ll be no trouble. He’s a good boy, Draco.”

The dignified older gentleman nodded stiffly. “I should hope so, he’s a Malfoy after all. And a Black - good breeding. Although,” here Abraxas curled his lip, “I should hope he doesn’t turn out like your blood traitor sister-in-law.”

“Andromeda Tonks gave up the her place in the Black family years ago when she married that good-for-nothing Muggle. She’s no sister of Narcissa’s.”

“Very well,” Abraxas nodded approvingly. “Enjoy your holiday, and do give Narcissa my regards.”

“Of course, Father.” Lucius echoed his son’s words. He and Abraxas clasped hands briefly. Then, with a final nod to little Draco, Lucius Malfoy turned and disappeared in a flurry of robes.

---

The eldest Malfoy lived in a handsome countryside villa - nothing as grand as the manor he had passed on to his son, to be sure, but an elegant home nonetheless. Draco soon forgot his sadness over his percieved abandonment and went outside to play.

The countryside was a wondrous place for a little boy. The grass was lush, green, tall enough to disappear in. Draco chortled to himself, pretending to swim as though the field was an ocean. He liked it here.

After a while, Draco realized that he was tired. He was about to sit down amidst the sea of grass when he heard quiet, off-key singing coming from nearby. Slowly, cautiously, the boy followed the sound until he reached the edge of a clearing.

Draco couldn’t help but gasp. There, in the middle of the clearing, singing and twirling, was a girl.

Draco didn’t know what gave him away, but the girl spotted him before he could decide what to do. She had messy straw-colored hair and the brightest blue eyes he had ever seen. Draco had no time to react as she grabbed him by the hand and pulled him with her into the clearing. “Hello,” she said brightly as the led him. “I’m Anne. Who are you?”

“D-d-draco,” he stammered. Then he added, “I’m a Malfoy.”

“That’s a weird name,” Anne giggled. “Draco Ima Malfoy? Did you just move here?”

“No,” he said timidly. “I’m just spending the summer with my grandfather. Well, just this month, since my parents are on holiday.”

The girl’s brilliant blue eyes widened. “You mean Mr. Malfoy? My mum tells me to stay away from him. He’s scary.”

“He scares me too,” Draco confessed. Anne gave an approving nod, then sat abruptly on the ground. When Draco didn’t budged, she rolled her eyes.

“Sit down,” she said, gesturing for him to join her.

“Oh.” Draco hesitated. He had never been around other children before; his father said they were bad influences. His mummy had explained that most other children were “blood traitors” or “Mudbloods.” Draco didn’t know what it meant, but it sounded bad.

But at Anne’s expectant look, Draco sat down too. The two chatted for what seemed like hours - Anne did most of the talking - until she stopped abruptly. The sky was just beginning to darken. “Well, I have to go home now, or my mum will get worried,” Anne said. “I’ll see you tomorrow!”

“Tomorrow?” Draco looked at her quizzically.

“You do want to play tomorrow, right?” asked Anne.

“Play?” Draco had never asked so many questions in his life.

“Play,” she repeated. “That’s what friends do.”

Before Draco could reply, the little girl was skipping away in the opposite direction, her hair and skirt blowing behind her in the wind.

“Wow,” Draco whispered to himself. “Friends.”

When you're the best of friends
Having so much fun together
You're not even aware, you're such a funny pair
You're the best of friends


And play they did the next day, and the next day, until it became something of a routine. Draco’s grandfather did not worry about where he went all day, nor did he care. As long as Draco returned home before sundown and had cleaned and dressed himself by supper, Abraxas was content.

But on the first Saturday since Draco’s arrival, Anne had bad news for Draco. “I won’t be able to play with you tomorrow,” she said solemnly. “I have to go to church.”

To Draco, it felt like the end of the world. “What will I do tomorrow?” he asked mournfully. “It’s lonely here without you.”

Anne shrugged. “I know, but my mum and I go to church every Sunday no matter what.” She brightened up with a sudden thought. “Why don’t you come with me?”

Draco felt relieved. “I’ll ask Grandfather once I go back home.”

His friend smiled. “Okay,” she said happily, rising to her feet. “You’re it!” She was off in a flash, with Draco scrambling after.

Life's a happy game
You could clown around forever
Neither one of you sees, your natural boundaries
Life's one happy game


Dinner that night was a stiff and formal affair, just as it was every night. Draco felt uncomfortable in his emerald green dress robes, but knew better than to complain. Abraxas sat on the opposite side of the long, grand table, eating in silence.

After dessert, Draco cleared his throat. Usually, this was when he asked to be excused, but this time he had something else to say.

“Grandfather?” When Abraxas did not respond, Draco continued hesitantly. “Can I go to church with my friend tomorrow?”

Abraxas looked up, very slowly. Draco cringed; his father acted the exact same way when he was angry. “Church?” Abraxas’ voice was deceptively calm. “What friend are you talking about?”

“H-her name is... is Anne,” the boy stammered. “She l-lives just across the field.”

There was rage in Abraxas’ cold grey eyes. “Associating with Muggles?” He did not attempt to hide his disgust. “I’ll have to speak with your father about this... no son of mine will raise a blood traitor. Go to your room, Draco, and I expect you to stay there tomorrow. You are not to leave the house for the rest of the summer, do you hear?”

Draco nodded with his eyes downcast. He let his blond hair fall in front of his eyes as he ran to his bedroom, hiding his tears.

If only the world wouldn't get in the way
If only people would just let you play
They say you're both being fools
You're breaking all the rules
They can't understand, the magic of your wonderland


A week dragged by, then two. Draco was utterly miserable. He stayed in his room most of the day, coming out only for meals. His father had sent him a Howler after he found out about Draco’s “intolerable association with Muggles.” Even his mummy was disappointed in him. It was almost more than he could bear.

But more than anything, Draco missed Anne. He missed having someone to play with, someone to talk to. He missed having a friend.

Finally, Draco’s last day in the countyside dawned. His parents would be coming for him that evening, and then they would return to Malfoy Manor. It was a bittersweet feeling. On one hand, Draco was happy. Happy to see his mother again, happy to be out of the oppressive confines of his grandfather’s house. But he wished, so much, that he could see Anne one last time.

And then, before he could understand what had happened, he did. Anne was standing there in front of him, frozen in place, staring at him with wide blue eyes. They were in the clearing - their clearing.

It was the first time Draco had ever seen Anne lost for words. It took a moment for her to compose herself. “W-what just happened?” she asked. “Draco! How did you get here? You just... appeared!”

“Magic.” Anne probably thought he was kidding, but Draco’s eyes were as wide as hers. “I did magic!”

Anne scoffed. She looked happy to see him, but suddenly remembered something. “You forgot about me.” She sounded hurt. “I waited for you every morning here, but you never came.”

“I’m sorry,” said Draco sincerely. “My grandfather wouldn’t let me.”

“Why?”

Draco hesitated. He shouldn’t tell her - he knew he shouldn’t. But he had to.

“Anne, can you keep a secret?” When she nodded, he continued. “I’m a wizard.” He paused. “And you’re not.”

Anne clearly didn’t believe him. But Draco needed her to. He’d never done magic at will before, but he had to show her. Draco focused his attention on a small pebble on the ground. Anne gazed in wonder as the little stone rose up, just a few inches, as if suspended by an invisible string.

It was almost noon. Draco’s concentration broke, and the pebble tumbled to the ground. “I have to go, Anne,” he said quietly. “My parents are coming to take me home.”

“No one’s going to believe me.” The look of wonder had not left Anne’s eyes. “I’ll miss you, Draco.”

“It’s not like this is goodbye forever,” said Draco, but something inside him told him it was. “Bye, Anne.”

When you're the best of friends
Sharing all that you discover
When that moment has past, will that friendship last?
Who can say? There's a way!
Oh I hope... I hope it never ends


Draco Malfoy stood hooded and masked in the streets of London. He alone was motionless; around him, terror reigned. Fire danced on all sides, devouring buildings and automobiles with impunity. Muggles screamed and ran, a seething mass of humanity. Rising above their screams was the laughter of Malfoy’s hooded companions; rising above the smoke was a gleaming green skull, a serpent, the mark of the Dark Lord.

“Come on, Draco!” He did not have to turn to recognize the crazed voice of his aunt. “Let’s have some fun.”

Draco felt something like bile rising in his throat; after a moment, he realized it was terror. He didn’t want to be here; he didn’t want to do this. But he had no choice. His parents’ life depended on it.

“Avada Kedavra!” A flash of green light exploded from the tip of his wand, and a fleeing figure crumpled to the ground. Bellatrix cackled approvingly. Suddenly, amidst the tumult, she caught sight of young woman disappearing into an allyway. Bellatrix raised her wand.

“No! I’ll get her.” Draco spoke without thinking; he would do anything, anything, to get away. One more murder, and maybe the Dark Lord would be convinced of his loyalty. One more murder, and maybe his family would be spared.

Draco plunged into the ally, filled with revulsion for what he had done - for what he must do. The woman turned her head, hearing her pursuer. As she did so, she tripped, falling to the ground with a muffled cry.

Draco came to a halt, looming above her. The woman turned her terrified, tear-streaked face toward her attacker. She had brilliant blue eyes, eyes that Draco had seen once before.

“What’s your name?” he asked, his voice shaking slightly.

The woman glared at him defiantly. “What do you care?” She sounded less frightened than Draco. In a sudden movement, she seized a small stone off the ground and hurled it at Draco. He deflected it easily with a flick of his wand; it landed harmlessly back on the ground beside her hand.

Draco lowered his hood. His suspicions were confirmed as the young woman let out a gasp. “Draco?”

The blond wizard lifted his wand high into the air; Anne cringed, clearly prepared for the end. But nothing happened - not to her, at least. The pebble by her hand rose several inches into the air, glowing gold for the briefest of moments.

“Draco, dearest!” Bellatrix’s deranged voice echoed through the alley,. “Did you kill it? You don’t want the Dark Lord to doubt you, do you?” She was clearly drawing nearer.

“Listen to me.” Draco’s voice was low and rough. “Grab the stone. In exactly thirty seconds, it will take you somewhere safe. Whatever you do, don’t come back. I never want to see you again.”

There was a flash of green light as Draco shot a shower of sparks into the air. Bellatrix cackled in the darkness. “Good, very good!”

Anne reached out and grabbed the pebble. Draco’s hood was up once again; his piercing grey eyes stared out from his mask, locked with Anne’s blue ones.

She wanted to thank him; but before a word could leave her mouth, the breath was knocked out of her with a woosh. The world was spinning around her; it felt as though she was being pulled backward through space by an invisible hook. She was gone.

Draco stood motionless, his eyes glued to the spot where she had vanished. Then, he spun quickly on his heel and started off in the direction he had come, toward his diabolical aunt. Toward the mayhem. Toward his nightmare.

But at least she was safe.

'Cause you're the best of friends
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83936