The Weasley Girl by xRavenclawxLovegoodx
Summary: Normally, a first year at a new school would include getting to meet new people, learning incredible and new things, and forming unlikely bonds with interesting people. It's too bad that Rose Weasley isn't a normal, ordinary girl, and her first year at Hogwarts will be everything but normal.
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1290 Read: 1885 Published: 08/05/09 Updated: 08/12/09

1. Be Careful What You Wish For by xRavenclawxLovegoodx

Be Careful What You Wish For by xRavenclawxLovegoodx
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters used in this fanfiction, and I also don't own rights to the series.
With a heavy sigh, Rose Weasley pressed her cheek against the cool glass of the window and sadly watched their parents, smiling and waving proudly, grow farther and farther away from them as the Hogwarts Express glided out of Platform Nine and Three Quarters. Across from her sat her cousin, young Albus Potter, who would, like her, be starting his first year at Hogwarts. He was practically shaking in his seat, wringing his hands nervously and enough worry filling his eyes to cover for the both of them. Reluctance began to weigh heavier than it had before upon her heart, and as her parents began to turn into nothing but faraway sillhouettes, she brushed her wavy hair out of her face and leaned back into her seat.

"Rose?" Al asked, tugging her sleeve briefly to get her attention; his tone was barely above that of a whisper.

"Yeah?" she replied, turning her head from the window and quirking one eyebrow.

Al paused, apparently still thinking over whether or not his question was a stupid one, then said, "What if I'm in Slytherin?"

Rose fell silent, unsure of what to say to him, because she had been worrying about the same thing. She had wanted to be brave for the both of them, because she knew that Al would never be able to make it on his own. He didn't really believe in himself all that much, but Rose knew just how much talent was within him, and she was determined to help him bring it out. Before she could think of a response to his question, the compartment door slid open. A young boy about their age walked in; he had long, shoulder-length silvery-blonde hair and bright, shimmering blue eyes. He was porcelein-pale, and their was a sort of air about him that was a bit awkward, and yet graceful at the same time.

"Hi," he finally spoke up, but rather timidly. "Sorry to bother you, but, um...they kicked me out of my compartment. Can I sit here with you?"

Rose glanced quickly at Albus, who was vigorously shaking his head in protest. His eyes were wide, and he looked on the verge of tears. Ignoring him, Rose turned to the strange boy and nodded. "Sure," she told him, pointing to the seat right beside Al. He sat down, and her cousin immediately shifted closer to the window.

"My name's Larcan Lovegood." He said. "And, if you don't mind me saying, you're Rose Weasley and Albus Potter. My mum's Luna Lovegood, she was friends with your parents. You're quite famous. I suppose everyone will stare at you during the sorting ceremony."

Again, Rose looked over at Albus, whose mouth was now hanging half-agape in awe. She was sure that he was thinking the exact same thing that she was: Larcan was definately a weird boy.

Changing the subject, Rose directed her attention to Albus. "Al, isn't Lily's middle name Luna?" Al just nodded, looking too scared to speak. "Is she named after Luna Lovegood?" Al nodded again, face even paler than before. Rose gave up. Al could be very shy when he wanted to, so there was no point in trying to get him to talk.

"I want to be in Ravenclaw," Larcan informed them, halfway talking to himself. "My whole family has been, well, except for my dad. He's not magical, well, not really. Anyway, I suppose you two will want to be in Gryffindor?"

"I want to be in Gryffindor," said Rose with a nod. "But I'll settle for anything that's not Slytherin."

"I suppose your parents will want you to hate that Malfoy boy?" Larcan inquired.

"How do you know all this?" Rose asked him, beginning to believe that Larcan had some strange powers.

"Like I said, my mum knows your parents very well." He replied.

"Yes, my father wants me to hate him," Rose informed him with a sigh. "I don't think my mother does, though. I just hope he's not like his father. I wish..." Larcan suddenly tensed up. "What?" Rose asked.

"Nothing," he muttered softly. "Continue."

"I wish he'd be in Hufflepuff or something. That'd make his father mad! He'd probably be disowned. It would be funny, though." said Rose wistfully.

"Do you really want that?" asked Larcan eagerly, leaning forward slightly and staring directly into her brown eyes.

"Yes," replied Rose slowly.

Soon, Larcan fell asleep, snoring rather loudly and causing Albus to make Rose switch places with him. Even after all that time on the trip, Larcan still made him feel uncomfortable, and, for some reason, Rose didn't feel totally trusting in him, either. There was just something...strange. All fell silent in the compartment save for the hooting from Midgeon, Al's owl, and the meowing from the grey tabby cat Fudge that rested in Rose's lap. She stared out at the passing scenery for what seemed like hours, until a rapping of knuckles against the compartment door startled her out of her "trance".

"Anything off the trolley, dears?" asked a very elderly witch who was now standing in the doorway, a crooked, toothless smile on her face. Rose shook her head, and Al twitched. "Ah, you must be the son of Harry Potter!" she said, pointing an arthritis-affected finger at her cousin, who twitched uncomfortably. Rose could tell exactly what her cousin was thinking; part of him wanted to believe that the old woman was insane.

"Ah, pardon me, madam," said a squeaky voice, "I'll take two of those." When had Larcan woken up?

The elderly witch handed him two blood-flavored licorice sticks, causing Al to tense up and grab Rose's hand tight enough to draw blood from the places where his fingernails dug into her skin. She shook of his hand, paying two silver sickles for a chocolate frog for her and Albus.

"I expect we should change into our robes now," said Larcan, soon after all the candy had disappeared. Rose nodded in agreement, retrieving her school robes from her suitcase. No sooner had the children donned their proper clothing than the Hogwarts Express slowed to a stop.

Rose, Larcan and Albus gathered their things and left the train, the thought finally settling into her brain that they wouldn't be seeing their parents again for a long time. Students pile out onto the station, the upper-classmen heading straight for the carriages.

"Firs' years, o'er here!" bellowed a gruff voice.

"C'mon, Rose," said Albus as he tugged onto his cousin's arm and dragging her closer to Hagrid. He obviously was in no mood to see his brother before the sorting, for James had been teasing him all summer about the fact that Albus might end up in Slytherin.

"Firs' years, this way!" called Hagrid again.

Rose and Al hurried over to Hagrid, who counted all of the small first-year students. A small group of girls was crowded around him, amazed at the man's sheer size.

"Righ'. This everyone? Alrigh', follow me!"

The nervous, shaking first-years followed the half-giant towards a huge, black lake, where a small fleet of boats was waiting for them.

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid instructed. "And watch out for the Giant Squid."

A few of the new students exchanged nervous glances. A Giant Squid in the lake that they had to cross? And in wooden boats, no less! Rose and Al were followed into their boat by Larcan, and a large, pudgy boy who looked like an overgrown pug.

"My name's Fudgley." said the boy. "Everyone calls me Lee. Except for my parents."

Al snorted. Rose elbowed him sharply to tell him to keep silent. "I'm Rose, and this is Larcan, and my cousin, Albus."

"Yeh'll be gettin' yer first sigh' o'Hogwarts any moment now!"
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=84131