Just Hugo by inspirations
Summary:

‘Maybe Hufflepuff? Your loyalty is overpowering....’

‘No, I’m a Gryffindor. I have to be a Gryffindor!’

This is a story about Hugo Weasley. He's overshadowed by his vast family, but that doesn't stop him from being his own person. He's a Gryffindor just like the rest, but he doesn't understand the how or why. This is a story about Hugo Weasley, and how he discovered that he was a true Gryffindor.


Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse, Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4312 Read: 2053 Published: 08/11/09 Updated: 08/21/09
Story Notes:

Italicised lines are from Hugo's sorting.

I would like to thank XhayleeXblackX, fg_weasley, Equinox Chick and luinrina for their comments/concrit on this story -- it really helped guys! -hugs- This story was written for Haylee's Character Exploration class, Summer '09.

1. Just Hugo by inspirations

Just Hugo by inspirations
Before then, I had never visited Hogsmeade. Yes, I’d been to the train station – every Hogwarts student had, naturally - but I’d never been in the village. When I was younger, dad used to visit occasionally – in fact, still does – but he’d never let me go with him for various crappy reasons. And, of course, most of my cousins had been – in addition to Rose - and raved about its greatness.



Well, finally it was my turn.



As I rounded that final bend in the path, I couldn’t stop the grin spreading across my face. It was unstoppable. Speeding my pace up, I let my legs carry me down the cobbled street – whether or not my friends were still with me, I didn’t know.



‘It’s amazing...’ John breathed, apparently right beside me.



My eyes wide, I soaked up everything I could in that one long look. I was a sponge. The noises, the smells, the... no sense I possessed missed out. I even opened my mouth slightly to taste the rain-washed air.



All around me, robed witches and wizards bustled, intermingled with the colourfully Muggle-clothed Hogwarts students. Some of the kids clutched bright, mouth-watering sweets feverishly, and my eyes sought out Honeydukes, the magical world’s most famous sweetshop. It even blows mum away.



‘Oh, wow....’ I muttered, my eyes lingering on a multi-coloured lollypop that bobbed past me. ‘We have to go to Honeydukes now.’ Playfully, I stuck my arms before me like a robot in those corny Muggle films that Grandpa loves, to match the monotone flat I’d just spoken in. My outstretched arms cut through the crowd swiftly, everybody parting for us and, in a second, we were within Honeydukes’ doorway.



John didn’t even pause to give my robotic performance his customary odd look, because he was so intent on getting into the jam-packed shop.



‘Oh, hell.’ Max mimed pulling his hair out as we entered the shop’s stifling atmosphere. The air was rich with sweet fragrance, and the displays adorning the tables dotted around looked too good – I was only too aware that mum would pull a fit if I bought too much. I laughed at the thought - as if she’d never indulged in this place. Dad certainly had.



I let myself be sucked into the dense crowd of Hogwarts students, eager to see more. I was vaguely aware of Max and John following.



I grinned widely, picking up a sugar quill and brandishing it in front of me. ‘My mum loves these!’ I exclaimed.



John muffled a laugh. ‘Sugar quills? Uh huh. Yeah, that fits your mum.’



I frowned. ‘What?’



‘Doesn’t matter.’ He rolled his eyes.



I was about to say more, but I heard somebody calling my name over the din of the shop.



‘Hugo! Hugo!’ I turned to see Roxanne waving her arms wildly at me. Beaming, I made my way towards her.



‘Cool, eh?’ she prompted. ‘Anyways... have you checked out Zonko’s yet? No? You have to!’ She babbled on, not giving me a chance to speak.



I shrugged in apology at my friends, and after a moment cut into my cousin’s endless speech. ‘Uh, Roxy... I kind of want to go check the village out. You mind if I just go?’



She laughed. ‘Sure, enjoy yourself. And be careful around the Shrieking Shack. Ghosts!’



‘I’m so scared.’ I clapped my hand over my mouth before taking it away and sticking my tongue out. ‘See ya.’



Five minutes later, heavy bags of sugar dangling from our arms, my friends and I made our way out into the high street.



‘I’m parched,’ Max said, ‘let’s go try some Butterbeer. Like, please.’



‘Yeah, okay,’ I agreed, making towards the Three Broomsticks.



Pushing the door open, I strolled in and went up to the bar to order. Max and John went to scout for a table.



‘Three Butterbeers, please,’ I requested from the barmaid.



‘Coming right up, sugar.’



I rapped my fingertips on the bar, glancing around the pub in interest. There were gaggles of witches and wizards filling the humid room, and I could smell mead on the air, too. Mum and dad like a bit of mead on occasion but I’ve never tried it. Dad would let me, but mum says no.



Handing my cash to the barmaid, I took the drinks from her, and scanned the cafe for my friends. I didn’t see them straight away but as my eyes swept the room, I did spot my sister.



And Rose was sitting with none other than Scorpius Malfoy.



I grimaced. After all we’d heard about the Malfoy family -- and Slytherins in general -- throughout our childhood, I couldn’t understand how Rose could be friends with him. Just... well, what didn’t I get? Of what I knew of Malfoy, he was like his father: arrogant and self-centred. When I pointed this out to Rose though, she just about bit my head off. Apparently, he isn’t like any of the other Slytherins. He’s kind, nice... he’s brainwashed my sister somehow. He must have. Though I haven’t ever spoken to Scorpius, Albus has told me enough about the kid for me to know his sort.



At that moment, Rose looked up and straight at me. It’s as if she knew I was watching or something. Smiling, she beckoned me over. Grudgingly, I went.



‘Hugo, how’s Hogsmeade?’



‘Good.’



‘Knew you’d like it.’ She raised an eyebrow at the full bag of sweets still extended from my arm. ‘Huh, I should’ve known you would beeline for Honeydukes.’



‘Yeah. I’ll see you at dinner, Rosie.’



Abruptly, I walked away from my sister and her mute friend. As soon as I turned around, I spotted Max and John, so I made right for them. I was ready to try the Butterbeer.



I thought I heard a sneer as I left. Stupid Malfoy



***

That night, I sat down at the Gryffindor table in good spirits. Beside me was Lily, and she was talking insanely fast to Rose and Albus about how much she and her friends had enjoyed the village.



‘It was so cool in Zonko’s – I can see why Fred likes it. Not like Uncle George’s shop, but...’



Helping myself to some steak pie, I let my cousins’ chatter wash over me. I always sat with my family for meals. Naturally, the Weasley family dominated one end of the Gryffindor table. A lot of people would try to escape such a big family, but not me. They are a major part of my life, always have been, always will be. I felt sorry for Molly, stuck in Ravenclaw. Aunt Audrey was a Ravenclaw and Molly takes after her. She’s an anomaly – all of the Weasleys are Gryffindors bar her.



Molly is an outsider because she’s not in Gryffindor; in school, she’s kind of separate to the rest of us, though we try to talk to her when we see her. When we go home and the family has get-togethers, however, Molly does slide right in... she’s just not as tight as the rest of us.



Sometimes, I wonder why I’m in Gryffindor, and why I’m not an outsider, too. I’m not brave, I’m not heroic.



‘But you’re a Weasley, of course! A Gryffindor? Your cousin wasn’t a Gryffindor, though; she broke such a tradition....’



I’m just Hugo.

***

I half-looked through my telescope. My quill slumped in my sweaty hand, and the planets I was meant to be looking at appeared as... just glistening, golden blobs in the distance. My eyes kept flickering closed, and I fought to keep them open.



I hate Astronomy. It’s boring -- pointless really. At first, I was excited for the late nights – something my parents would never have allowed – but not anymore. Lily, Max and John like it, though... but it’s not for me. I can’t wait until sixth year when I can drop it.



‘Okay, class. Good work. Hand me your charts on the way out.’



My eyes widened as I looked down at my own work. The star chart we were meant to have filled in within the last hour was only half-done. Damn! Was I really that close to sleep? I peeked at Lily’s work as she stood up to take it to the teacher.



She’d finished, and was grinning with unsuppressed pride at the feat.



Sighing, I got up to give mine in. I handed it to the professor nonchalantly, hoping she wouldn’t notice my lack of progress until after I’d left the room.



‘Hugo?’ she called me back as I turned to go. ‘You haven’t done much work tonight, have you?’



‘No, Professor.’ I looked at my feet.



‘Last week’s work wasn’t up to scratch either. I’m surprised. Rose is such a good worker, and I think you are too, but you’ve let yourself down.’ Suppressing a grimace at her comparison, I looked up as she rubbed her chin absentmindedly. ‘I will give you the chance to redeem yourself, Hugo. You can write me an essay on what you should have observed tonight. I’m sure your friends will be able to recount what you missed. Have it in this time next week.’



‘Yes, Professor.’ I gulped, and turned away with a nod of my head. She smiled at me, pleased I wasn’t arguing. This essay was going to be hard, but I probably deserved it. I knew the penalty for shoddy work. Still, I never thought I’d get the penalty. It served me right, though, probably. I’d got barely any homework done on the weekend, because I’d spent Saturday in Hogsmeade and on Sunday I’d overslept. So I’d stayed up late a few nights this week finishing essays. Apparently, it had taken its toll on me.



Yawning, I stumbled out of Astronomy, leaving behind the sparkling night sky.



‘C’mon!’ Lily exclaimed impatiently, tugging my hand, and pulling me along at a speed too fast for me to keep up with. ‘Forget about the extra homework; you’ll just have to slave for longer on the weekend.’



‘Thanks, Lily.’



‘Pleasure.’



I yawned again.



Lily began to babble at me, but it sounded like gobbledygook to my ears. Blearily, I followed her. My eyes were swimming with wetness from yawning so much, and I didn’t bother to blink it away.



The corridors had emptied I was walking so slowly. None of our classmates was with us still; they’d disappeared, off to collapse on their soft, warm beds....



I sighed, shaking my head. In the distance, I could hear the faint, echoing sounds of somebody else’s banter. It was loud – from where I stood, it sounded kind of taunting, sarcastic - mean.



‘Hugo, are you listening to me?’ Lily’s cross voice brought me back to the present. She’d stopped in front of me, hands on hips, and I had to halt quickly to avoid walking into her.



‘Yes.’



‘What was I just talking about?’



‘Quidditch.’



‘Lucky guess,’ she accused. Narrowing her eyes for a second before laughing, she grabbed my hand and began to tug me along.



‘Get off!’ I pulled out of her grasp.



‘Get a move on then!’ she retorted, mimicking my voice but grinning.



We rounded the corner; her teasing had woken me up a bit.



Then Lily stopped. This time, I did walk into her.



‘Ow! Lily, why have you--?’



Then I saw why’d she’d stopped, and broke off mid-sentence. Two Slytherin boys from our year – and from our Astronomy class -- stood by the wall. One of them was well built – muscular – and had pinned a scrawny little kid to the wall. The kid was a third year, too. The other was skinny, but tall, with his wand focused directly on the bridge of the poor victim’s nose. The Slytherins were Goyle and Nott.



The boy between the two Slytherins was a Hufflepuff – typically – called Ryan; his eyes had gone crossed as he kept his eye on the wand trained on him. A whimper slithered from his shivering lips.



‘What are you doing!’ Lily exclaimed.



The two Slytherins whirled around and both focused their wands on Lily. Their victim crumpled to the floor, his body shaking in fright. He looked up at the bullies, terrified. He seemed too scared even to run.



‘What’s it to you?’ the muscular boy, Nott, trilled. ‘You’re the daughter of... you’re the daughter of a nobody! That’s right, isn’t it!’



I stepped forwards; the two Slytherin’s glanced at me for a second before rolling their eyes and turning back to Lily.



‘What’s your problem?’ Lily snarled, reaching for her wand. ‘My daddy put yours in Azkaban or something? Or are you just a pair of cowards who would rather be under Voldemort’s rule?’



Both boys’ mouths fell open at that.



‘Who gets fun out of tormenting somebody smaller than them?’ I exclaimed as their stand broke momentarily and Lily got herself under control. Her shoulders shook, and her wand arm quivered slightly. ‘And, at that, two against one? I’ve heard about you two but I’ve never witnessed it. Now I’ve seen for myself how bad you both are.’



They laughed cruelly, recovering themselves, as Lily pointed her wand at them. I watched as both pairs of eyes focussed in on it.



Nott shook his head. ‘Get out of here, you Clabbert!’



‘Is that the best-?’



‘Come on, Lily, let’s go,’ I said hurriedly, cutting her off, and grabbing her arm. I shook my head at the bullies, trying to get them to see how disgusting they were. ‘You can come with us, too.’ I smiled at the trembling victim of the Slytherins, who was sitting pressed right up against the wall. He rose, and shot to my side, as if scared one of his tormentors would grab him or something.



‘And we’re cowards, Lily Potter?’



I started to steer Lily and Ryan in the opposite direction.



‘Yes, you’re the coward, Potter! Come back here and duel if you’ve a backbone! – oh, you won’t. Your stinking cousin won’t dare help you, and that heap of nerves is too much of a wimp to step up!’



Lily began to turn around, but I dug my nails into her arm, causing her to wince, and marched her away.



‘Don’t react to them,’ I hissed.



‘But they’re looking to be hexed! I want to see how they’d like it with their own wands rammed up their noses!’



‘Leave it!’ I told her.



Lily turned her eyes on me in surprise, and I took that moment to manoeuvre her around the corner and out of the Slytherins’ sight. Ryan was cowering against my arm and, as we set off up the stairs, I let him go.



‘Are you okay?’ I asked.



‘Yes, fine... thanks,’ Ryan replied. His shoulders had slumped in relief but he was still shaking a bit.



‘You should have let me at them,’ Lily accused me; I still hadn’t let go of her, half expecting her to run back and curse the two bullies. Her shoulders were heaving angrily, but she’d stopped fighting against me. I sighed, relieved.



‘You’ll thank me one day,’ was all I said.



The next day I was a little drowsy, but I was sure that shoving some food in me would help. I’d stayed up for ages last night, after I’d calmed Lily down, thinking about what had happened. The Slytherins’ comment about me not standing beside Lily in a fight kept ringing in my ears, and I wondered how true that was.... This morning, I’d pushed it all aside, though, and decided just to move on. They’re Slytherins – they’re probably out to wind me up. Going down to breakfast, I collapsed onto the bench beside Lily, and reached out hungrily for some toast, my mouth watering. Taking a swig of pumpkin juice, I smiled as it revitalised me, waking up.



Slowly, my cousins dribbled into the Great Hall for their breakfast. There was a muted whisper of chatter at our end of the table; everybody was hungry this morning. Silence didn’t bother any of us. Lily sat down next to me, and I grunted a ‘hi’ at her.



After polishing off my toast, I grabbed an apple and bit into it. I looked at Lily properly for the first time. She was staring into her cereal, swirling the milk with her spoon. She seemed kind of unfocused, weird... usually she would’ve been pushing her bowl away by now, and impatiently waiting for me to finish breakfast so we could go to our first lesson.



‘What’s up, Lily?’ I asked, frowning.



She shook her head, pasting a false smile on her face. ‘It’s... nothing. I’m fine.’



I narrowed my eyes. ‘Crap,’ I accused her. ‘Tell me what’s up, what’s bothering you. Come on, I could make it all better....’ I grinned at her and, despite herself, she grinned back.



Sighing, she gave in. ‘I just... I can’t stop thinking about last night.’



‘Last night?’



‘Yeah, and those... those bullies. It’s not right.’



As soon as she said ‘bullies’, I saw the scene in my head, like one of those Muggle video-replays. I’d thought of it vaguely this morning, but I’d re-focused my attention on something else quickly, because I didn’t want to think about it again. Besides that, I was still only half-awake when I got up. Now I’d eaten, her words were like cold water splashed on me, and my stomach clenched slightly.



‘Just forget about them, Lily,’ I said, shaking my head free of them, too.



She turned to me, her eyes radiating furiousness. ‘Forget about it? How can I forget!’



I flinched away from her, and just shrugged.



‘That’s what I thought,’ she hissed coldly.





***

After Lily’s outburst at breakfast, she barely spoke to me for the rest of the day. Where she had to, she would respond to my questions, or ask questions if she needed something. But that was it. None of the usual chatter, the laughter... it was as if, somehow, the bullies had emotionally got to her, and she’d turned against me because of it.... Why? I couldn’t help but wonder.



Her continual mood got to me; I couldn’t stop figure out what I’d done. She was upset because of the bullies. Usually, though, I’d be able to cheer her up pretty quickly. Not today. They must have got to her pretty bad.



Scenes replayed in my head from the night before all day, prompted by Lily’s attitude towards me. The last lesson we had was Muggle Studies, and Professor Creevey was doing the most boring lecture ever. As my head slumped on to my hands, I began to drift in and out of consciousness....



In my mind, I was at the scene of the crime all over again. This time it was much worse though. Same bullies, same victim. Me and Lily standing at the sidelines, just watching. The victim was sprawled on the floor, twitching with each flick of his tormentors’ wands. His screams pierced the air, and I plugged my ears with my fingers, wanting to scream along with him. And then I blinked, and I was back in the Muggle Studies classroom, listening to the enthusiastic sound of Professor Creevey’s voice.



Very quickly, I sat up and leaned against the back of my chair, pressing myself into its frame. I took a deep breath to relax myself again.



Suddenly, I was seeing how low those bullies could sink. I realised that if Lily and I hadn’t intercepted last night, that poor kid would’ve been the subject of... that. Oh. And they are Slytherins – based on the stories dad has told me about that house, there’s no doubt they could stoop to that level and... I shivered at the thought.



‘So, class, that’s it for today. Any questions?’ Professor Creevey looked around, but when nobody raised a hand, he clapped his own together enthusiastically and exclaimed, ‘Excellent! I’ll just set you your homework, then, shall I?’



I copied down the task the professor set without hesitation, trying to get a grip on myself. Once I’d done, I shoved my books in my bag, and swung it over my shoulder, ready to leave on the bell. When I looked up, Lily was surveying me thoughtfully, with hard eyes. I looked away; I don’t like scrutiny.



Besides which, I was distracted. It had just occurred to me that my little vision about the bullies could easily come true. I could easily be the one they ground under their foot; Lily could... no, actually, Lily wouldn’t stand for that. Then I realised that I couldn’t let them grind me under their feet, either. What was I? I was Gryffindor, however much I doubted it.



‘Maybe Hufflepuff? Your loyalty is overpowering....’



‘No, I’m a Gryffindor. I have to be a Gryffindor!’




The bell went then, but I was barely aware of it. I stood up mutely and followed my classmates into the corridor. Lily was by my side, and she eyed me curiously; I did notice that her stoniness seemed to have ebbed away, outshone by her new interest....



‘You coming to dinner, Hugo?’ she asked, confused, when I turned up the stairs in a different direction to everybody else.



‘Um,’ I glanced back at her quickly as I stumbled up the staircase, ‘I’ll be there in a while; need the loo.’



‘Oh, right. Okay. I’ll save you a seat.’



‘Thanks!’



I walked against the crowd, and straight past the toilets. I needed to think, and the empty Gryffindor tower would be the perfect place. Most people, probably everybody, would be at dinner. I’d be left undisturbed, allowed to think.



I collapsed on my favourite chair before the fireplace. My head began to hurt as I tried to think of ways to get back at those bullies, to put them in their place. I could use some joke stuff of Uncle George’s I supposed – Roxanne would be willing to help.... Or I could find a spell to embarrass them somehow... or something. As each new thought came into my mind, though, I knew I couldn’t, because then I would be almost – if not as – bad as them.



And no way did I want that on my conscience....



***

‘Where’ve you been, Hugo?’ Lily huffed when I finally got down to dinner. ‘The food will be cold.’



I shrugged. ‘Never mind.’ I dug into a sausage roll, frowning to myself.



‘What took you so long?’ she prompted.



Again, I shrugged.



Lily rolled her eyes, and took a bite of apple. ‘Whatever,’ she grumbled.



I ignored her, my eyes focused on the door to the Great Hall. Professor Longbottom was walking through it with Professor Zabini and they were making their way towards the staff table. There weren’t many people left in the hall now; Lily and I were the only ones remaining at Gryffindor table, and there were a couple of Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws, too. However, there was a whole gaggle of loud Slytherins. The bullies and their friends, coincidentally.



Standing up, I muttered, ‘Back in a sec,’ and then hurried towards the two professors that were just sitting down. I halted in front of the two of them at the staff table, and said, ‘Can I have a word?’



Professor Longbottom laughed. ‘With who...?’



‘Um... both of you is fine.’



‘Okay, then. Tell us.’



I took a deep breath; I could feel my heart beating chaotically in my chest, but I knew I had to do this. There was something in my brain that was telling me ‘no, don’t back away now! Be brave!’



‘Last night after Astronomy, Lily and I came across two Slytherins being horrible to one of the other students. We stopped them – well, Lily more than me -- but I’ve heard of them bullying before, and what I witnessed... it bothers me.’



Professor Zabini’s jaw tightened and I saw him glance over at his house table. ‘Who?’ he asked.



‘Huh?’



‘Which Slytherins?’ he elaborated impatiently.



I gulped, and couldn’t help but glance over my shoulder. I turned back quickly, though – the whole group of Slytherins was glaring at me. Then I plunged in; I knew I had to say and, if I backed away, the bullies had seen me anyway. Now I’d looked at them, though, I could suddenly feel their gazes burning in to my back.



‘Nott and Goyle,’ I stated simply.



‘Thank you, Hugo,’ the two teachers said together.



‘I’ll have words with them later,’ Professor Zabini promised.



But then, on a weird impulse, I said hurriedly, ‘No, do it now!’



‘Hugo—’ He broke off at my look. ‘Okay, go sit back down.’



I went back to the Gryffindor table obediently.



‘Why’d you go talk to them?’ Lily pressed curiously, as I sat back down.



‘Doesn’t matter,’ I muttered, tucking back in to my dinner.



I stiffened slightly as I watched the two teachers approach the Slytherin table, and heard Zabini ask for the two bullies. I tore my eyes away, and began to eat my sausage roll. After a moment, I looked up again, though, to see Nott and Goyle leaving the hall with the teachers. Their friends stared after them for a moment, a couple glared at me, before starting to chat again.



‘Hey!’ Lily exclaimed. ‘That’s the two from last night... do you think that Hufflepuff snitched on them?’



‘Dunno,’ I mumbled, not looking at her.



‘Oh, I hope so. I hope those kids get what they deserve.’



‘What do they deserve?’



‘Detention for the next year. Humiliation.’ She shrugged.



I raised my eyebrows then smiled. Lily wanted them to get in to trouble.



‘I’m not sure whether that Hufflepuff would tell, though – he seemed so scared last night,’ she mused. ‘A Slytherin wouldn’t tell... maybe a Ravenclaw. Probably a Gryffindor, though.’ She laughed. ‘A Gryffindor would be brave enough to face the comeuppance.’



I gaped at her as the words sank in. Only a Gryffindor...



‘What?’ she asked, leaning away from my stare.



Shaking my head, I said, ‘Nothing.’ And then I shrugged again, grinning widely. She smiled back, a little put out, but I wasn’t really directing my expression at her. I was grinning out of happiness, from my realisation...



‘You’re right, young Hugo. If there’s one trait that is outstanding from the rest, it’s your courageousness. And your nerve!



‘Yes, Hugo Weasley. You’re right. You’re a GRYFFINDOR!’
End Notes:
Review? Please? xx
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=84232