The Missing Twenty-four Hours by mudbloodproud
Summary: Everyone knows Hagrid took Harry from the ruins of the house in Godrics Hollow. What we don’t know is where Hagrid went between rescuing Harry and delivering him to Privet Drive.

This is the story of those missing twenty-four hours.

I do not own anything you recognise in this story. It all belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am just grateful to be able to escape into her world for a little while.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1579 Read: 2049 Published: 08/11/09 Updated: 08/11/09

1. The Missing Twenty-four Hours by mudbloodproud

The Missing Twenty-four Hours by mudbloodproud
Dropping quickly out of the sky, the flying motorbike landed lightly at the end of the darkened street. Carefully, the half giant “ half wizard steered the bike behind the Hogs Head. Climbing from the motorbike, Hagrid walked quickly through the back door and up the stairs to the room he knew had been set aside for him to use tonight.

Once in the room, he gently placed the bundle of blankets he had in his arms on the bed. Opening the blanket up, he looked down at the little baby sleeping peacefully inside.

Once assured the baby was fine, Hagrid went to the desk and pulled out a piece of parchment on which he scribbled a quick note. Turning to the owl who was watching him from his perch on the dresser, Hagrid said, “Take this to Madam Pomfrey up at the school.”

The owl hooted once before flying out the open window. Within ten minutes, there was a knock on the door.

Hagrid pulled the blankets closed over the baby again, before going to the door.

“Who is it?” he called through the closed door.

“Madam Pomfrey. I got your note.” she replied through the closed door.

Hagrid opened the door quickly and shut it just as quick behind the Healer.

“Your note said someone had been injured and you wanted them looked at. Well, where is this person?” Madam Pomfrey looked around the room.

Hagrid walked over to the bundle on the bed. Once again he drew back the blankets. He motioned for Madam Pomfrey to come closer.

“I just wanted to make sure this cut isn’ something serious.” Hagrid told her.

“Hagrid, isn’t this the little Potter boy? Where are Lily and James?” At Hagrid’s moan, Madam Pomfrey turned to look at him.

Tears were streaming down the big man’s face. He tried to speak, but his throat was tight as the tears continued to fall.

“No,” Madam Pomfrey cried, “Please tell me they aren’t dead.” She looked at Hagrid imploringly.

“Yeah “ yeah, they are. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named got to ‘em. ‘Arry is the only one left. But, 'e has tha’ cut on his ‘ead. I guess it might be from him tryin’ to kill ‘em. I don’ know. Is ‘e okay, is it… serious?” Hagrid reached down to stroke the baby’s head as he spoke.

Taking a deep breath to calm herself, Madam Pomfrey slowly unwrapped the baby laying peacefully on the bed.

“He has no other injuries, other than this cut?” Without waiting for an answer, she proceeded to examine the baby herself.

“No, I don’ think so. Just the cut on ‘es forehead.” Hagrid did not move from his position next to the bed.

“He seems to be perfectly fine. He will need to eat when he wakes up. I will send something appropriate down from the school for you to feed him. For tonight, he will probably only need a bottle of milk. However, in the morning, you will need to make sure you feed him breakfast. I don’t know how long you will have him here…” pausing, Madam Pomfrey looked at Hagrid.

“I don’ know exactly. Until tomorrow night, I’m guessing. Professor Dumbledore said ‘e would send me an owl with instructions.” Hagrid carefully rewrapped the baby.

“I will go to the castle and make arrangements for the proper food to be brought down here to you. I am assuming the fact the baby is here is to be kept secret?”

“Yes, Professor Dumbledore doesn’ want anyone to know ‘e is ‘ere. ‘E’s trusting me to keep ‘im safe.”

“Very well, I will see to the food myself. I will bring it back to you in a little while. In the mean time, just keep him safe.” With one last look at the baby, Madam Pomfrey left the room.

Only a few moments after she left, a brown owl swooped in the window. Hagrid removed the piece of parchment attached to the leg of the owl. As the owl flew back out the window, Hagrid moved closer to the candlelight and opened the letter. It was from Professor Dumbledore instructing Hagrid on when and where to bring the baby.

Madam Pomfrey returned with the required things a baby needs. Not only did she bring milk, bottles and food, she also thought to bring nappies. Seeing the baby was awake, she told Hagrid to go downstairs and get something to eat while she took care of the baby.

Hagrid sat on a stool at the bar and ordered a bottle of Butterbeer. Though he would have liked to have Firewhisky, he knew it was best not to drink while he had the baby to take care of.

Hagrid knew the baby upstairs would one day be a very powerful wizard. For tonight, it was up to him to keep Harry Potter safe.

As Hagrid sat sipping his Butterbeer, he caught snatches of conversations around him. It seemed as if word of Voldemort’s downfall was spreading quickly. As the rumours were passed around, more drinking began.

“Hagrid? What are you doing here?” asked Professor McGonagall as she sat down next to him.

“Oh, Professor McGonagall, ma’am, nice to see yeh,” said Hagrid. “I’m just ‘aving a Butterbeer.”

“Have you heard what they are saying?” she asked as she gestured around the room. “I am trying to find Albus to ask him about it. He isn’t at the school, nor at the Three Broomsticks. I had hoped Aberforth knew where he was, but he said he hasn’t seen him.”

Hagrid looked around to see if anyone was close enough to overhear them. Even though there wasn’t, he still dropped his voice to a mere whisper. “I don’ know where ‘e is now, but I know where ‘e is going to be.”

At Professor McGonagall’s raised eyebrows, he whispered to her the address where Dumbledore told him to meet him.

“Hagrid, are you sure? Why would he go there? It is a Muggle neighbourhood.”

“It is where ‘e told me to meet ‘im,” said Hagrid. “I’m supposed to meet ‘im tomorrow at that address.”

“Did he say when he was going there?” Professor McGonagall asked.

Hagrid shook his head. “No. Oh, I wish they would all stop, don’t they understand? Lily and James are dead.” Hagrid started crying again.

“They’re dead? No,” said Professor McGonagall. “I don’t believe it. I must find Albus.” She stood and rushed out the door before Hagrid could confirm he saw the bodies.

Standing, Hagrid nodded to Aberforth and went back upstairs to his room. He opened the door and found Madam Pomfrey sitting on the bed next to where she had Harry.

“Hagrid, I have given him his bottle and changed him. He should sleep through the night for you. If you have any problems, please send me an owl and I will come right back down here.” She patted Hagrid on the arm as she passed by him on her way to the door.

“Thank yeh for your ‘elp, Poppy.” Hagrid strode over to the bed and sat very gently next to the baby. His weight caused the bed to dip and Harry rolled closer to him. He very tenderly moved the baby back up on the bed.

“I will let ye know if we need anything else,” he said, his eyes never leaving the baby. “’E’s cut is okay?” he asked.

“Yes, I cleaned it but I couldn’t get rid of it. It must have been caused by Dark Magic...” Her voice trailed off and Hagrid could tell she was looking for information.

“Yes, I think it was as I said before. But I can’t say anymore,” Hagrid answered.

Nodding, Madam Pomfrey looked again at Harry. “Just keep him warm and if he wakes, give him the bottle there on the nightstand. Remember to check his nappy and change and feed him in the morning.” With her instructions given, she turned and walked out the door, closing it softly behind her.

“You’re going to be okay, ‘Arry. And someday, you will be a great wizard like your dad.” Hagrid adjusted the blankets around Harry and leaned back on the headboard. He knew he wouldn’t sleep all night. It was too important to keep watch over the tiny, defenceless baby that ended eleven years of terror.

*****

The next morning, Hagrid did as Madam Pomfrey had instructed and gave Harry some porridge that Aberforth sent up. He changed Harry and after giving him another bottle, put him down for a nap.

He wasn’t supposed to meet Dumbledore until later that night, but since he was travelling by flying motorbike, he bundled the baby up and set out at dusk.

He was amazed by the calmness in Harry at flying. He wondered briefly if he had been on the bike before with Sirius or his dad. As they flew over Bristol, the baby fell asleep. When he spotted Privet Drive below him, he angled the bike to land.

As the ground drew closer, he whispered to Harry, “I promise yeh, someday we will see each other again. When that day comes, I will tell you all about your parents and what great people they were.”

He landed safely and getting off the bike, he went to face leaving this innocent baby with others to care for him.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=84237