Forty Days a Charm by Russia Snow
Summary: In Hannah Abbott’s life plan, when she is twenty-nine, she is married and has two children. But of course, life doesn’t always go according to plan. On her twenty-ninth birthday, Hannah receives a shock that will change her life forever, and will maybe just set her back on the track of her life plan.

This is Russia Snow of Gryffindor submitting for “Life Begins at Forty” Bookbasilisk Summer challenge.

Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2569 Read: 1735 Published: 08/14/09 Updated: 08/19/09
Story Notes:
Many thanks to my Beta-tastic friend Kara.

1. Forty Days a Charm by Russia Snow

Forty Days a Charm by Russia Snow
~
~
~
~
~
Hannah Abbott yawned and stretched her arms above her head. It was 7 o’clock on a Friday morning. It was a just a simple, normal day, at least that was what she tried to tell herself. Today was actually her twenty-ninth birthday, but she really didn’t want to think about it.

Twenty Nine. She felt so old. When she was younger and she planned her life out“ like all little girls like to”by the time she was twenty nine she was married and already had two children. A few months ago she had almost thought that would still be possible, but not anymore.

Hannah groaned and rolled over in her bed, stuffing her face into her warm pillow. She didn’t want to get up, she felt sick. She felt sick. Crap! Hannah thought, she threw herself out of bed and ran into her en-suite bathroom.

She emerged a few minutes later, after having splashed water on her face. She shook her head, but realising she felt dizzy, decided that wasn’t such a great idea. She got dressed and scraped all her hair back from her face; she might be ill, but she still wanted to work.

Only then did she notice that there was only one owl sitting on her kitchen table. On all her other birthdays, the table had been covered in them, all jostling for position. She was relieved that there was only one, as she had told everyone and anyone that mentioned her birthday that she just wanted to forget it was happening. She was glad they were adhering to her wishes. She stroked the tawny owl lightly on its head and untied the parchment from its leg. More than anything, she was glad that those ridiculous rumours of a surprise party were false.

Hannah, the letter read. Do you think you could come round to mine tonight? I Really need your help picking an outfit for my date tomorrow!
Thanks, Susan xx


Hannah sighed irritably. So, the rumours were true. She knew for a fact that Susan has spent three hours only yesterday boring Megan to death with choosing an outfit. She had it all laid out and ready”Megan had moaned to Hannah about it last night, when she finally managed to drag herself away from Susan”so this was all just a ‘clever’ plan to get Hannah to go to the party that she didn’t want. But she wasn’t going to fall for it.

Since she and Neville had broken up, just over a month ago, Hannah hadn’t really been keen on celebrating anything. She had thought Neville was the one, the man she would marry and have children with. But the long distance that their relationship had to cover had put too much strain on Hannah; she had been working her hardest at the pub, every night. Neville was supposed to Apparate back to see her in the evenings, but more often than not he found something more interesting to do at Hogwarts, where he held the position of Herbology teacher.

Last month, they had had a spectacular argument. Both had been screaming at each other until the early hours of the morning. Some of the things Hannah had said she now regretted, but a large proportion of them were true, and she knew the breakup had been the right thing, even if it didn’t feel like it right now.

Hannah still felt queasy and so the cornflakes stayed firmly in the cupboard. She could just about bring herself to drink a glass of water before scribbling a reply containing the word ‘busy’ to Susan, attaching it to the owl and then setting off for work.

As she Apparated to outside the Leaky Cauldron, she staggered, her head spinning. Fearing she would throw up again, she dashed inside and straight to the bathroom. She didn’t throw up this time, and shakily went to assume her position behind the bar.

“Hannah?” questioned a rasping voice from behind her. “Yes?” Hannah answered shakily, turning around.

“Hannah, you look awful!” Tom wheezed

“I’m fine,” Hannah lied quickly.

“I think you should go home Hannah.” Tom suggested. “Off you go now!” He coughed a loud, racking cough.

Hannah tried to protest, but Tom was already chivvying her out of the door. Within only about half an hour of arriving at work, Hannah found herself back on the street, bathed in the warm morning sun of an August day.

Hannah didn’t want to risk Apparating again; she nearly threw up at just the thought of it. She decided, since it was such a nice day, that she would walk, and if she got too tired, she could always catch a Muggle taxi.

Hannah started to feel quite a bit better once she had had some fresh air and some exercise. She had been walking for about half an hour and was contemplating getting that breakfast she has missed out on earlier, when she spotted a familiar head bobbing through a crowd of commuters.

Cursing under her breath, Hannah drew her head down towards her chest and pretended to rummage around in her handbag for something. Unfortunately, she was a few seconds too late.

“Hannah!” She heard Susan’s voice cutting through the crowd. Still cursing, Hannah tried to pretend that she hadn’t heard her, she glanced up quickly to see where to other girl was; she was too close for Hannah's comfort. If Susan caught up with her, she was bound not to let her go until she was at the party, which was exactly where Hannah didn’t want to be. Looking frantically around her, she noticed the crowd of commuters crossing the road and through an iron archway; keeping her head low, she tried to blend in amongst them. It wasn’t until she had been swept through the archway by the ever growing crowd did she recognise where she was. Kings Cross Station.

“Hannah!”

Susan was following her. Rubbing a hand across her frustrated brow, she hurried back into the crowd, hoping to be lost within them.
“Hannah! Come back!” Susan called from behind her.

Sighing angrily, Hannah realised there was nothing for it. A whistle blew, and she watched as the doors of the nearest train began to shut. Using the remainder or her strength, she sprinted to the train and slipped through the door. She hurriedly took a seat next to a middle aged man; he was thinning slightly on top, and was wrinkling his nose at something he was reading in his spread out newspaper.

A young man was walking down the train; he was wearing a navy blue suit and a posh hat. Hannah recognised him as a ticket collector. She saw the man next to her look up, and reach an orange and white ticket out of his pocket. She hoped she would be able to pay for her ticket now, and not get in trouble for not buying it in advance. More important yet, she needed to find out where she was headed.

“Tickets!” The man called down the train. When he reached Hannah’s table, the man next to her passed his ticket over. The ticket collector looked at it briefly and handed it back, he then looked expectantly at Hannah.

“I haven’t got one... I’m“” Hannah started, but the man interrupted her.

“No problem. Where do you wanna go?”

“Erm... well that’s the thing, I didn’t really mean to get on this train, I don’t know where it goes...” Hannah blushed furiously.

A few minutes later, the kind ticket collector had printed Hannah out a ticket that would take her to the next station. She smiled weakly, feeling nauseous again, and handed over a few of the Muggle coins she kept with her in case of emergency like this.

Once the ticket collector had walked away back up the train, Hannah tried to settle in her seat. She was uncomfortable and her head hurt. The man sitting next to her looked at her over the edge of his newspaper, he looked worried.

“Are you feeling alright?” He asked

“Erm... yeah, I’m fi...” But Hannah didn’t get to finish her sentence. At that very moment a youth walked past holding a hot dog covered in tomato sauce. Hannah retched, and threw herself out of her seat; she made it to the train’s bathroom just in time.

When she emerged a few minutes later, shaking and pale, the man from her table was waiting for her outside. Now Hannah took a closer look at him, she thought he looked familiar.

“Hannah?” he asked concernedly “It is Hannah isn’t it? I’m Roger Davis.”

At the sound of his name, Hannah recognised him immediately.

“Oh, yeah. Hey,” she said in as friendly a voice as she could manage, while she was still shaking.

“Hannah, I’m a Healer at St. Mungo’s, and I really think you should get checked out. You look really ill.”

Hannah tried to shake off Roger’s suggestion, but when they reached the next stop, Roger took her firmly by the arm and led her out of the train and onto the platform.

“You don’t look like you are up to Apparating “ lucky for you St Mungo’s is just a few minutes’ walk from here. Are you going to be okay?”

Hannah nodded, but didn’t feel like replying verbally. Roger, still supporting her by her arm, lead her down the street and round the corner.

A kindly young Witch was running her wand, held flat in her palm, over Hannah. She was lying on a bed in a room made from curtains, and now she had a bit more colour on her cheeks and has stopped shaking, but she still didn’t feel her best. Roger had escorted her right into the reception of St Mungo’s, had put her into the hands of one of his Healers friends and had then apologised and said he had to go. Hannah had thanked him sincerely, and gone with the Healer to the examination room.

The young Healer smiled at Hannah and slipped out through the pastel coloured curtains. Hannah sighed and rubbed her sore tummy. She was trying not to be worried, but she still was. She had been ill for a few weeks now, and it was getting, if anything, worse. The Healer came back around the curtain, and to Hannah’s surprise she had a large smile on her face. Hannah sat up and looked curiously at the Healer. The woman handed over a small bottle of potion. “That’ll help with the sickness.” Hannah took the bottle and stood up. But the Healer interrupted her exit.

“Hannah,” she began, smiling encouragingly. “You’re pregnant.”

A stunned silence followed. Hannah couldn't believe what the Healer had just told her.
“That is the reason for your sickness. You are just over a month pregnant. About 40 days.”

“I... I can’t be...” Hannah finally stammered.

“I am afraid you are Hannah. I take it this is unexpected news?”

Hannah nodded dumbly. The Healer started to speak once more, but Hannah desperately needed some air. She pushed gently past the Healer muttering a brief “Thanks, I’ll be fine” and walked straight out of the hospital.

Hannah was shocked. Pregnant? Her? This couldn't be happening. She rubbed her slightly swollen tummy sadly. What was she going to do? She knew what her first course of action should be. She should tell the father. She should tell Neville. This wasn’t as easy as it sounded, as she had no idea how Neville would take it, and she hadn’t spoken to him since their breakup a month before. However, she knew this was the right thing to do, and she knew if she didn’t go right now, she never would. Gritting her teeth against the sudden uprising of nausea, she Disapparated.

Appearing outside the Hogwarts gates, Hannah staggered and grabbed her spinning head. She closed her eyes and waited for the dizziness to subside. Before she could straighten up however, a figure coming out of the gates crashed right into her, sending her flying.

“Oh god, I am so sorry!” A familiar voice flustered, bending down to help her up.

“Neville?”

“Hannah? Is that you?”

“Erm yeah...” said Hannah, blushing and standing up. They stood awkwardly for a silent moment. Then both spoke at once.

“I was just...”

“I need to...”

They both giggled nervously. “You go first,” Hannah insisted anxiously.

“Hannah, I was just on my way to see you. I have been a prat. I never should have broken up with you. I love you Hannah, you make me happier than I have ever been before. The months we were together were some of the best of my life. The bad things that happened at the end were all my fault and I can never apologise enough. I love you Hannah, I always have and always will. I know there is no possibility of us getting back together, after how I acted, I don’t blame you. I just wanted you to know how I feel. Even if you are coming here to tell me that you have found someone else and it is over for good, it won’t matter just as long as you know Hannah, that I love you.”

Hannah stood there, staring up at Neville. She couldn't believe what she had just heard, he still loved her, he had always loved her.

“Oh,” said Neville nervously looking at Hannah, “Happy Birthday, I erm... got you a present.”

He reached hastily inside his robes and pulled out a small blue velvet box, which he nervously handed to Hannah. Hannah was still in shock, but she took the box he offered her with a smile. With slightly shaking fingers, she lifted the lid of the box. Inside was the most beautiful necklace Hannah had ever seen; it was made of Goblin sliver and shone in the sunlight. It was heart shaped with a swirling letter ‘H’ engraved on the front. Hannah gasped.

“Oh Neville, it’s beautiful!” She cried and, bursting into tears, she threw her arms around him.

She felt Neville's strong arms close around her and he buried his face in her neck. Standing on tiptoes, she whispered into his ear:
“Neville, I love you more than words can say. I am sorry too, the breakup was stupid and I have been regretting it ever since. I never stopped loving you.” She paused. “And... I’m pregnant”

Neville pulled away from her slightly, but still kept his arms firmly around her. He looked her dead in the eyes. “How long have you known?”

“I only found out today. I am about forty days gone, just before we broke up.” Hanna was still nervous, as Neville had shown no inclination as to how he felt about this new piece of news.

He pulled her back close to him and whispered into her ear:

“Hannah, I couldn’t be happier. After all, you know what they say, life begins at forty.”

Hannah could feel him smiling against her ear; she turned her head and kissed him.

“You’re really happy?” She asked.

“Really.” Neville grinned.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=84273