The Marauder's Map - A Beginning by Karaley Dargen
Summary: On a lazy Saturday afternoon in their fifth year, two of the Marauders are staying inside talking – while the other two are outside and get an idea. Why not make a map of Hogwarts? It would certainly make their nightly wanderings easier, and who knows what could be done with a piece of parchment...

This is Karaley Dargen of Gryffindor writing for the final in the MWPP class on the beta boards.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1529 Read: 2037 Published: 08/14/09 Updated: 08/14/09

1. Chapter 1 by Karaley Dargen

Chapter 1 by Karaley Dargen
Remus closed his book with a snap and threw it at the table in front of him, causing James to jump from his Potions essay.

“Merlin, Moony, what did you do that for? Did that book do something to offend you?”

Remus was indeed glaring at the book as though he had just been seriously insulted by something.

“No,” he said after a pause. “It’s just“ I’m not sure you’ll understand.”

“Well, give it a try,” James said, welcoming the distraction from his homework. It was the first Saturday of October, and the sun was shining as though it was still August. James had been desperate to go roam the grounds with Sirius and Peter, but unfortunately he had procrastinated Slughorn’s essay for too long “ those nights out and about in the castle were demanding their tribute now.

Remus had been trying to do some Transfiguration practise, but he had quickly discovered that he wouldn’t be able to do it without James helping him, so he had given up and decided to wait until James was finished with his own homework.

“Well“ allright. You see, the thing is... when I was a child, my parents never let me play with others, never went to the playground with me. My years until I started here at Hogwarts were, to be honest, rather boring. However, my mum did teach me some things at home; when I was five, I knew how to read, and soon books became... well, substitutes for friends, I guess, to me.”

“I still don’t get why you were glaring at your book like that,” James said, staring at Remus in confusion.

“Wait, I’m getting there. So, I read a lot. Novels or fiction usually, and it has been sort of difficult for me to study, because whenever I start reading a textbook, it just makes me want to pick up a... well, a real book.” Remus grinned somewhat apologetically. His dislike of textbooks combined with his monthly absence from class had caused him to have to ask for his friends’ help more than once. If he was going to pass his O.W.L.’s at the end of that year, he would have to change that particular habit.

“So after a while, when you read a lot of novels, the books start to.. sort of suck you in,” Remus continued. “Every book creates its own world, and for the short time that I spend reading it, I can live in that world. I don’t know why it affects me that much; maybe it’s because I started reading at such a young age, or maybe it’s because it helps me escape from“ sorry,” he interrupted himself, blushing a bit, “I didn’t mean to sound so melodramatic.”

James waved Remus’ concern away. They didn’t talk about Remus’ problems in a serious way often “ mostly they were just making jokes, or, since they had recently managed to become Animagi, plotting their monthly adventures.

“Erm, were was I... Ah yes. So, once you’re being sucked into a world like that, it’s sort of... difficult to get out again. Only, when you’ve finished reading the book, you hardly have a choice. And that’s why I was looking a bit angry maybe. Books are never long enough, and they always end much too abruptly.”

“Maybe you should try A History of Magic then,” James said with a grin. “That should be long enough to satisfy you.”

“Oh, and I’m sure it’s a thrilling tale,” Remus replied mockingly.

“So what was that you just finished reading?” James asked.

Remus held the book up to show James the title on the cover.

Frankenstein,” James read. “Never heard of it. Then again, I never read much, it’s my dad who’s got half a library...”

“You wouldn’t know it,” Remus said. “It’s a Muggle novel.”

“Oh,” James said, slightly surprised. “Where did you get it then? Did your mum send it to you?”

“No, actually I got it from Lily Evans.”

“What? When did you make friends with Lily Evans?” James asked, now completely abashed.

“Oh, no, I didn’t... we were on Prefect duty together the other night, and it was really awkward. You know, I’ve never talked to her, and I thought she’d make some conversation, because she’s usually so outgoing, but we spent half the time in total silence. So we somehow started talking about our families at some point, just so that we wouldn’t feel so stupid anymore. It wasn’t a long or exeptionally deep conversation really, but when I told her that I had read some Muggle books and liked them, she asked me whether I had read Frankenstein because she had just finished it and could lend it to me.”

“So you’re not... friends now?” James asked, an odd note of would-be casualness to his voice.

“No,” Remus replied, a bit suspicious. “And since when are you so interested in Lily Evans and who she hangs out with?”

“No, I’m just asking because“”

James was interrupted by Sirius and Peter, who had noisily entered the Common Room, which was deserted apart from James and Remus.

“There you are!” Sirius exclaimed. “What are you two, vampires? It’s a great day outside, Peter even considered going for a swim...”

“We just had some more work to do,” James said, stuffing his half finished Potions essay in his school bag.

“Hey James,” said Remus quietly, “can you still help me with Transfiguration later?”

James nodded to Remus without the other two noticing “ although he kept telling Remus that it was no bother for him, James knew that Remus felt immensely uncomfortable asking his friends’ help with schoolwork; and, in addition to that, Sirius had made fun of Remus in Transfiguration before, and no one needed to relive that particular excerpt of their third year.

“Sooo,” Sirius began, letting himself drop in an armchair near the empty fireplace. “If you’re finished, why don’t you come over to the comfy chairs? We have something to... discuss.” Sirius grinned mischievously.

James and Remus got up from the chairs at the desks near the windows, where students usually sat when they were working on their homework outside the library. As all the other Gryffindors were out in the grounds, the four boys had the Common Room, meaning all the armchairs and sofas, to themselves. Remus let himself drop on one of the empty armchairs while James stretched out on a sofa, blissfully sighing “freedom at last”.

Peter, who was on the sofa opposite James, frowned at him. “So you actually finished the Potions essay?” he asked skeptically.

“No... but who cares. We’ll have time to do work tomorrow, right?” James said, yawning lazily.

“So what is it you wanted to discuss?” Remus asked curiously, his Transfiguration troubles all forgotten.

“Peter had an idea,” Sirius began excitedly.

“Yeah,” Peter interrupted. “Remember the other night, when we were on the run from the kitchens because Filch had heard us, and we got lost, and Remus said that we should just map this place? Well...” Peter was beaming now. “Why don’t we just do it? We really know enough about Hogwarts, and if we get to see a bit more of the grounds... well, in the future, we can add those later.”

The other three knew of course that Peter was referring to their planned trips during the full moon. The only trouble was that Peter didn’t always manage to transform yet, so that so far they hadn’t joined Remus on a regular basis yet.

“You mean... draw a map of the castle?” James asked, trying to make sure he had understood it correctly.

“It’s genius,” Sirius joined in again. “We could enchant it so that only we can see that it’s actually a map, so no one will know. And we can put all the secret passages there and use it for planning “ it would be great! And I’m sure we’ll find some other enchantments for maps in some Charms books. Didn’t Flitwick mention something about enchanting parchment... no idea. But think about the possibilities!”

James pondered the thought for a moment. “I guess... there could be some interesting stuff.” Suddenly he jumped up. “I just remembered something! Come on guys, library!”

“Library?” Peter moaned. “I thought we were going to work tomorrow!”

“This isn’t work, this is... Okay, maybe it is work, but it’ll be worth it, if I’m not completely wrong!”

Peter muttered something under his breath, but still got up to follow James, who was know walking towards the Portrait Hole.

“Care to explain?” Sirius said, as he and Remus also got up, stretching and yawning in the lazyness that had suddenly overcome them.

James turned around just as he had reached the exit and beamed at his three friends.

“What if there was a spell with which we could track every single person that sets foot in the castle on that map?”
End Notes:
If ever I have time, I might continue this with the creation and continuing expanding of the map. For now though it will remain a oneshot.

Thank you, Professor Mudbloodproud, for this really great class. It has honestly helped me a lot, and made me think a great deal about my Marauder era characters.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=84276