To Follow the Dark Lord by hestiajones
Summary: Regulus is respected and feared by the Slytherins, but his disenchantment has already begun. Along comes a young Barty Crouch Junior, who is every bit the embodiment of Regulus’ own doubts about the Dark Lord and the Death Eaters…

This story won second place in the Gift of Gab Challenge.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2021 Read: 1609 Published: 08/16/09 Updated: 08/21/09
Story Notes:
Regulus surprises Barty who has been spying on him. The two has a conversation about what following the Dark Lord means


DISCLAIMER: The characters and their world belong to J.K.Rowling. The dialogues are, however, entirely mine.

Many, many, many thanks to my two betas inspirations and fg_weasley (nikki), one for all the technical and grammtatical errors and the other for drilling Regulus into me till I got it right. :D

1. Chapter 1To Follow the Dark Lord by hestiajones

Chapter 1To Follow the Dark Lord by hestiajones
Author's Notes:
This conversation takes place at a stage when Regulus' disillusionment about Voldemort is starting.

Barty Crouch Jr, on the other hand, envies Regulus for everything he is, and the youngster's obsession makes the latter face certain truths.
To Follow the Dark Lord


“Good evening, Barty.”

“Regulus Black!”

“Yes. No need to look so surprised. I daresay you have been hoping to have a talk with me for a long time.”

“I “ I don’t know what you mean.”

“You are a fine actor, Barty. But, sadly, your theatrics are not enough to cover the fact that you have been spying on me since term started. Now, why don’t we go and talk?”

“Is that why you asked all the students to stay away from the common room tonight? To talk to me?”

“I merely requested them to leave us alone for a few hours. Anyway, sit down.”

“You aren’t going to hex me or anything, are you?”

“Of course not! Why should I want to do that? I am only curious as to why you are so interested in me. Every night, you sit in that deserted corner, half covered in shadows, staring at my back as though you are trying to bore a hole into it, hoping that I will turn around and acknowledge your presence. It is all very obvious.”

“I think we both know that it was meant to be obvious.”

“Why, though? What could you possibly want from me?”

“Have you really no idea, Regulus?”

“I have a hunch, but something tells me that is not all there is to it. I would prefer if you told me everything yourself.”

“Oh, I will tell you. But … I am curious. What would you do if I didn’t?”

“I see … you are not yet done studying me.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean the extra-curricular project you have been working on for some time. You have also been studying something other than school textbooks this year, have you not?”

“I “ it wasn’t like that. I just wanted to be your “ friend.”

“Really? You are rather cunning, Barty, and very meticulously so, if I may add. You have been eager to get to me for a long time, but you never approach me in public. You have watched my every move closely - so closely, you even eavesdropped on my conversation with Rosier at the fireplace the other night.”

“I “ how do you know that? You’d gone to your dorm.”

“I must say that your Disillusionment Charm was very impressive, but I had already placed wards around the common room, and I knew that someone unwelcome was lurking somewhere. Do you remember my loud proclamation of wanting to go to my dormitory? I did that to give you a false sense of security. I returned, after having put the same charm on myself, and saw your dormitory door closing as soon as I had come out to check.”

“You knew?”

“I did. And then, you sent Tallulah Parkinson to seduce me, didn’t you?”

“I suppose she told you, didn’t she? The tramp!”

“Now, now, Barty. Why so unkind to your own pawns? She didn’t… divulge much, but I was able to make the connection. So, tell me, why did you feel it necessary to put me to such a test?”

“I only wanted to make sure that you are as strong as they make you out to be.”

“No, Barty, I do not think that’s the whole truth. You wanted to find out if I had any weaknesses, didn’t you?”

“I “ yes, I suppose. But if you knew that, why didn’t you do anything about it? You could have done anything and got away with it. You are a servant of the Dark Lord!”

“I prefer the word ‘follower’. I did not hex or curse you because I wanted to know what you were really up to. Now, why don’t we discuss why you are so interested in me?”

“Are you really asking me that question, Regulus? It’s because you’re a Death Eater!”

“I see … You are not spying for your father, are you?”

“No!”

“I hear he is a great champion of Mudbloods.”

“NO, HE ISN’T!”

“Is that why he is campaigning against the Dark Lord?”

“No … my father is - he - he is just concerned about the safety of the wizarding world. He doesn’t really understand what the Dark Lord’s trying to teach.”

“And do you?”

“Yes… yes, I do. That is why I am so interested in you. That is why I have been trying to catch your attention. You are a serv - follower “ of the Dark Lord. I aspire to be like you.”

“What is it about the Dark Lord’s teachings that you understand?”

“I “ you look suspicious.”

“I am just curious about what you could possibly see in our belief system.”

“Are you mocking me because of my age? You can’t! You became a Death Eater when you were just sixteen. You, of all people, can’t judge me for my age.”

“I am not judging you for your age, Barty. I merely want to know what reasons you could have for wanting to become a Death Eater. Many people are ready to sign up, but they hardly want to do it for the right reasons. Until and unless they have the right reasons, they may never become one.”

“You don’t still think I am spying for my father?”

“No … but then, you are defensive about him. He is clearly a blood traitor, but you are covering up for him.”

“I am not covering up for him. My defence is not for him.”

“Really? I wonder why you were so eager to convince me that he doesn’t- ah … you are ashamed of him, aren’t you?”

“I … I am. I am ashamed of him. He has been nothing but a disappointment to me. He doesn’t know what I want. He doesn’t care.”

“And yet … are you ready to show him you have chosen a different path? One that would probably clash with his? Would you defy your father?”

“I have already defied him by making the choice to join the Death Eaters’ ranks, if that’s what you mean.”

“No, no, Barty. Let me make my question clearer. Would you write a letter to him tonight and tell him that you have already made this choice?”

“That’s not really necessary. He - he will know when the Dark Lord takes over the wizarding world, for I will be there at His side.”

“I see … you are ready to serve the Dark Lord, but you are not willing to leave the shelter provided by your father.”

“It’s easy for you to accuse me. Your family knows what you are doing, and they love you for it. Isn’t that why they disowned your older brother, because he is with the Mudbloods and blood traitors?”

“There is no need to bring Sirius into the conversation. I am the only son of the Black family now.”

“The point is, you still have the protection of your family, don’t you? I don’t! Or, rather, I won’t once my father finds out. He will drive me out of the house, and not even my mother could stop him. Who’s going to look after me then? You?”

“So … you want to follow the Dark Lord, but you would still have breakfast with your father?”

“Yes, I would. But do not forget that my loyalty would lie with the one in whom I have faith.”

“Indeed! You are only fifteen, and you are prepared to live a double life?”

“Yes, I am. I have been doing that for a long time already.”

“You disgust me.”

“It’s not like I have a choice, Regulus. I have my belief to fight for, and I am prepared to do more than deceive my family.”

“Your family … they don’t mean that much to you.”

They don’t care much for me or my opinion! That is why I envy you, Regulus. You have all that I want “ a family that supports your decision and treats you like a king, and a master that could fetch you power beyond imagination. You are already a hero here - we respect you, we fear you. I would do anything to become you.”

“That is not why I am a Death Eater. I am not with them for the power.”

“But you have it, don’t you? I’d do anything to be a Death Eater.”

“You think that sounds brave, do you, Barty? Do you know the full implications of being a Death Eater? Are you even aware of the job requirements?”

“I have been keeping my eyes and ears open, Regulus. I read the newspapers, too. I notice the killings and disappearances of Mudbloods and their supporters. That writer who died over a year ago … Artemisia Oberon. Didn’t the Dark Lord kill her? A fool of a witch, who was going to teach us that Mudbloods could be our equals! I am glad that the Dark Lord finished her off before we had to study her books.”

“It’s not “ it’s nothing like that. The Dark Lord’s proposals contain more than cursing and killing off people. You are only one of those who simply labour under the delusion that these murders and tortures are all we care about. You are not ready to become a Death Eater, and you will never become one unless you are!”

“But “ but Regulus, can’t you see that these things are necessary, no matter how unfortunate? I support them because they make sense! Sacrifices are bound to occur in order to achieve greatness. And I’m prepared to … I am prepared for all of that.”

“You are wrong! That is not what we are about. We do not resort to violence just because we can.”

“Really? Could you say the same for the Lestrange brothers? I may have only been in my first year when they were still at school, but I was pretty much aware of what they were up to. And, your cousin, Bellatrix? Merlin knows how many times I have seen her hexing Mudbloods at school. And there’s Rosier, Mulciber, Macnair, Avery, Nott, and Snape. You can’t exactly call their treatment of Mudbloods delicate. But I am not against them, Regulus. I am not against them, as long as they stay true to the Dark Lord first. I believe in what he is doing! I believe that we are superior! I believe that power should lie with us!”

“You! You have seen nothing, and yet you talk as if you could handle everything. Our cause is for the greater good. We want nothing but to preserve the purity of our blood. And we are certainly not going to trample everyone in the way, but reason with those who are willing to listen.”

“And if reason fails? No, if persuasion is not going to work, then we must take by force. If you can’t use force, then you are too weak for the throne.”

“There is no throne, you little bastard! This is not some mad race to get a crown! Can’t you see that magic is being stolen from us? Don’t you understand that this “ this struggle, is to keep our own purity safe from contamination? How can it be about power? What does that have to do with us?”

“Everything, Regulus. It is about us being superior to the rest. And with superiority, comes power.”

Silencio! I told you, Barty. I told you that unless you are ready to become a Death Eater for the right reasons, you could never be one! You have got it all wrong. You are not ready yet. So, I am going to have to tell you to give up your obsession with me. You are not going to discuss this conversation with anyone. If you ever dare to approach us again, I will make sure that your father finds out, understand? Good! I’ll leave you now. Good night, and do not ever come near me again.”
End Notes:
Thanks for reading. SO, laurels or brickbats? Eagerly awaiting for either or both! :D
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=84298