Missing Moments in Time by mudbloodproud
Summary: In the world of Harry Potter, there is a love story that has not been told. That is the love story of Nymphadora Tonks and Remus Lupin. In this series of one-shots, you will explore a few of the many special moments in their lives together. Each of these Missing Moments is a glimpse into turning points in their life together.

I do not own anything you recognise in these one-shots. It all belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world for a little while.


Categories: Remus/Tonks Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1763 Read: 3347 Published: 09/27/09 Updated: 09/27/09

1. The First Meeting by mudbloodproud

The First Meeting by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
A chance meeting at Grimmauld Place begins a love story that has many twists and turns...

In this story, there is a reference to another wonderful Remus/Tonks fic called Apparently Asleep by Equinox Chick. Though I stray a bit from her version of Remus and Tonks’ love story, I do reference an event or two in her story. Thank you, Carole, for allowing me to use some of the “Remus/Tonks canon according to Carole”.

Remus walked down the stairs towards the kitchen of number twelve, Grimmauld Place. He wasn’t expected, but he knew he was always welcome. He should be home, but he had to go and see Snape so he decided to check in with Sirius before going home and locking himself in for the next couple days.

As he approached the bottom of the stairs, he heard a chair fall over and then he heard the laughter. He rushed down the last few steps, pulling his wand out as he ran. He rushed into the kitchen to see Sirius with a young woman on his lap and both were laughing hysterically.

“I don’t know how you ever passed Stealth and Tracking,” Sirius said as he laughed. He reached up and messed the woman’s pink hair with his free hand.

“Mad-Eye didn’t think I would. ‘Damn shame you can’t even walk without falling, would have made a good Auror’,” she said in a reasonably passing imitation of Mad-Eye Moody’s voice. This caused both of them to start laughing again.

Neither noticed Remus standing there. He put his wand away as he approached the table. “Damn shame both of you would be dead now, if I was a Death Eater,” he said dryly. His words had somewhat of the desired effect as the Sirius jumped up and drew his wand even as he let the woman go.

Unfortunately, the woman hadn’t been expecting it and she fell to the ground. Sirius chuckled as he reached down to pull her to her feet.

“Moony, allow me to introduce you to the newest member of the Order, my baby cousin, Nymphadora Tonks.” Sirius grunted as the woman landed a punch in his midsection.

“Tonks,” she growled. “It isn’t that hard to remember, just five little letters. I think even a git like you can remember that.”

Remus shook his head as he felt laughter building in his chest. “Well, she certainly is intelligent enough,” he said. “She has you pegged as a git already.” Remus gave into his laughter as he reached out and shook Tonks’ hand.

Tonks was shocked when she looked into Remus’ eyes and shook his hand. She felt”she felt as if she had found something she hadn’t even been aware she was missing.

“So, what’s with the hair?” Remus asked as he sat down at the table.

“She’s a Metamorphmagus, remember?” answered Sirius. “She’s also the clumsiest witch you will ever meet.”

Tonks turned and walked over to the cabinet. She took out three bottles of Butterbeer and approached the table. She smiled and winked at Remus as she placed one of the bottles in front of him. She walked over to Sirius and reached out to hand him a bottle. The bottle slipped and spilled onto Sirius’ lap.

“Oops, clumsy me,” she said. The innocence in her voice would have been more believable if she hadn’t first winked at Remus and then started giggling.

Jumping up, Sirius exclaimed, “That was no accident.” He glared at Tonks.

“Of course it was, I am, after all, ‘the clumsiest witch anyone will ever meet’,” she said with an innocent smile.

Remus started laughing. Sirius turned and looked at him. After a moment, he also began laughing. “I guess I deserved that,” Sirius said. “Excuse me while I go and change. Somehow, I don’t think this look suits me at all.”

“So, you are Andromeda’s little girl, right?” Remus asked. “I guess you don’t remember, we met when you were just a small child.”

“I remember. I didn’t think you did, though,” she said as she sat in the chair next to Remus. She had been only a bit over six years old at the time. Her father was away and her mother had gone to see her sister.

“How could I forget? You were an adorable child, Nymphadora,” he said.

“Don’t call me Nymphadora,” she said automatically.

Remus smiled. “But, the name suits you so well,” he joked.

Tonks didn’t even realise her hair had once again changed colours. However, Sirius knew something was up as soon as he entered the kitchen.

“What did you do, Remus?” he asked. At Remus’ blank look, Sirius chuckled. “Her hair turns that shade of red when she is angry. You didn’t have enough time to do much, so I am betting you called her Nymphadora.”

“Right in one,” Tonks said. She shook her head and her hair changed back to its previous bright pink.

“So, Moony, what brings you by tonight?” Sirius asked as he sat back down. “Didn’t expect to see you out and about.”

Tonks saw the questioning look Sirius gave Remus. She knew to what he was referring, tomorrow was the full moon. She heard the heavy sigh from Remus before he spoke.

“Had to go meet Snape,” he said. At Sirius’ growl, he held up a hand to stop the torrent of words that were about to come from him. “Sirius, calm down. I had to get more of the Wolfsbane potion. I dropped the last vial of it. Seems your cousin here, isn’t the only one who is clumsy,” he said ruefully.

“There has to be someone else who can make it for you. I don’t trust him,” Sirius said angrily.

“Umm, I can make it. I have made it before,” Tonks said. Both men stared at her, identical looks of shock on their faces. “What? I did get a N.E.W.T. in Potions, you know,” she said defensively.

“You can make Wolfsbane?” Sirius asked. “Guess there is more to you than just a cute face.” At her look of outrage and her instantly red hair, Sirius laughed. “So, there, your problem is solved. Tonks can make the potion for you every month.”

“I couldn’t ask-” Remus began to be cut off by Sirius.

“You would rather trust that snivelling, slimy-”

“Sirius, he has been making it for me since I taught at Hogwarts, every month, without fail. I know you don’t trust him, but Dumbledore does, so I do,” Remus stated emphatically.

“I will make the potion for you. Though...” she paused and looked at Sirius apologetically, “it was Professor Snape who taught me to make it.”

Sirius gave her a disgusted look and stood. He went over to the cabinet and pulled out a bottle of Firewhisky. He poured it into three glasses, though one glass he only poured a small amount. This glass he gave to Tonks.

“You are clumsy enough sober, I don’t want you hurting yourself,” he said.

“I thought the Weasleys were going to be staying here,” Remus said.

“They are coming tomorrow,” answered Sirius. “They wanted to wait for Hermione to get to the Burrow. I wish Dumbledore would let Harry come and stay now, but I guess he has his reasons; even if I don’t agree with them,” Sirius said, his tone conveying his disapproval quite clearly.

“He is only doing what he feels best for Harry,” Remus said.

“Yeah, so he claims. But, I still think Harry needs to be here and not with those Muggles. The way they treat him...” Sirius’ anger was growing.

Though Tonks hadn’t grown up knowing Sirius, in fact, she had only been reunited with her cousin just about a year ago, she knew from her mother his anger was something to be avoided. Her mother often told her she got her temper from him.

“Sirius, listen, the moment Dumbledore tells us Harry can come here, I will go and get him,” Remus said. “I don’t like the fact he is in that house any more than you do, but for now, we have to be patient. He is safe where he is. Lily’s protection and the fact he is being constantly watched...”

Tonks knew that was the wrong thing to tell Sirius. She knew how she felt when someone told her she had to be patient when she wanted something. She knew it was only a matter of time before Sirius snapped.

“He would be just as safe, if not more so, here. He only has to go back to that house for a short time, that time is up. He needs to be here, now.”

“Sirius,” Tonks said, laying a hand on his arm, “he will be here soon. I’m not going to be foolish enough to tell you to be patient, we both know that is not something either of us is good at, but Harry is safe. That is what is important.”

It took a few seconds for Sirius to nod. Tonks let out a sigh of relief at the same time as Remus. She glanced over at him and smiled. When he smiled back at her, her stomach flipped. She stared into his eyes. There was something about him...

“If the both of you are done flirting with each other, what do you think about having Kreacher make us something to eat?” Sirius asked.

“Huh? What? Oh, dinner. Sure, sounds good,” Tonks said, shaking her head as if to clear it.

“I can’t. I need to get home,” Remus said quickly. Getting to his feet, he gave Tonks a quick glance and then looked at Sirius. “I will be over in a couple days. If anything happens”not that it will”but just the same, if it does, let me know. I will be useless tomorrow night, but...” He shrugged his shoulders.

“As you said, Harry is safe, nothing will happen,” Sirius said trying to sound reassuring. “You go and take care of yourself.” As Remus turned towards the stairs, Sirius called, “Hey, Moony...”

“What?” Remus asked turning to look back.

“Want some company? I could use a change of pace, maybe Snuffles can come over,” he said quickly, sounding like a small child asking to go to the park. “We haven’t done that in a while.”

“No, that is not a good idea. Remember the last time, at Hogwarts,” Remus said.

“That was different,” Sirius argued.

Remus shook his head. “No, I’m sorry but Snuffles isn’t enough alone,” he said sadly.

Sirius nodded. “I guess you are right. Let me know if you need anything,” he said. Remus nodded and left the kitchen. “So, just what in the hell was that all about, little cousin? Taking a fancy to Moony?”

“No, no, of course not,” Tonks answered. “Although...”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=84642