The Last Line by Sparkling Star
Summary: Sequel to THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION



Melody has been shipped back to Beauxbaton, but readjusting isn't even the hard part. The coming year is full of struggles that open Melody's eyes to her mistakes and the person she once was. A constant battle to retain her final ounces of happiness will tear her and Harry apart and after internal mending, maybe the two can finally be at peace together or perhaps, apart.




Categories: Harry/Other Character Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: Yes Word count: 41852 Read: 151772 Published: 01/01/05 Updated: 11/07/06

1. Love Letters by Sparkling Star

2. Nocturnal Dream by Sparkling Star

3. The Final Ally by Sparkling Star

4. Return by Sparkling Star

5. Out of the Darkness by Sparkling Star

6. Fragments by Sparkling Star

7. Fickle's Choice by Sparkling Star

8. Wake Up, Sunshine by Sparkling Star

9. Imagery by Sparkling Star

10. Meeting and Mail by Sparkling Star

11. Unwritten in the Stars by Sparkling Star

12. As the Lock Falls by Sparkling Star

13. Ron's Plea by Sparkling Star

14. Alone in Turbulation by Sparkling Star

15. Confronting the Past by Sparkling Star

16. Want and Need by Sparkling Star

17. And They Come by Sparkling Star

18. Letting Go by Sparkling Star

19. Major Clippings by Sparkling Star

20. A True Champion by Sparkling Star

21. Forgiveness by Sparkling Star

22. Meetings of Reconciliation by Sparkling Star

23. Victory by Sparkling Star

24. A Chain of Painful Memories by Sparkling Star

25. Bitter and Cold by Sparkling Star

26. Hearing From a Hero by Sparkling Star

27. Losing the Game by Sparkling Star

28. Come Together by Sparkling Star

29. Luce Stellare by Sparkling Star

30. Missing the Marks by Sparkling Star

31. Eruption by Sparkling Star

32. Finding the Track by Sparkling Star

33. Abandonment of the Body by Sparkling Star

34. Lying by Sparkling Star

35. The Last Line by Sparkling Star

Love Letters by Sparkling Star
A letter lay unfolded next to Melody’s left arm as she scratched down words on a second piece of paper.

Dear Melody
I hope things are well there, because it seems like your letters only get more troubling. Are you really that miserable? I can imagine you are. This summer has been dreadful. It’s been terribly boring as they refuse to let me go anywhere, and Mrs. Weasley insists on following me around. Ron’s family is great, but I’m going insane locked up with them.
I was surprised they even let me take my Apparition test. Of course, they won’t let me go anywhere.
I wish your mother would let you come here. I still don’t see why she doesn’t approve of me, but I’ll find a way to make her like me. I really miss you, Mel.

Harry


Melody finished her own letter and then read it aloud to herself.


Dear Harry
I miss you too. I ask my mother everyday is I can come and see you, but she refuses. I’m sorry, Harry, but I don’t think she is ever going to let me visit.
Our new house is finally ready, so we can get out of my aunt’s, but moving isn’t helping our situation right now. Mother keeps coming into my room and sighing at the pictures of you, but nothing could make me take them down.
Oh Harry, how am I going to make it through an entire year without you around? I’m dying now, and it hasn’t been that long really. To think of an entire term…is crazy. I guess we’ll just have to make it work. I love you.

Melody



Melody crossed to the window and placed her replying letter on the leg of Sparx, her owl. Spreading her wings, Sparx was gone in seconds. Most of Melody’s summer days were spent waiting for a letter from Harry. Though he always replied immediately, they never came soon enough for Melody. In between letters, Melody simply sat in her room and read her spell books.

Her room was freedom from her mother. Ever since Melody’s father was found to be working for Voldemort, her mother had been miserable to live with. Melody was rarely allowed to go anywhere and when she was she was she was accompanied by Marcus. Eventually, Melody had given up leaving the house. Being locked up was better than being near Marcus and his ego.

***

Harry’s next letter arrived only two days later. Hedwig flew in the window looking very ruffled from the long journey from England to France. Melody hurried across the room and placed some food near Hedwig’s feet. Melody was elated with excitement as she unrolled the letter attached to Hedwig’s leg.


Dear Mel,
I’ve finally found the right opportunity to sneak out! Moody, Lupin, the Weasleys, Tonks and Snape are all ill. At night, they sleep very deeply, so I’m going to be there at midnight on Friday.
I’d write more, but Hermione and me are on soup duty. See you soon.

Harry

Melody nearly collapsed she was so happy. Harry was going to be there in less than a week. She hugged the letter to her chest and hurried out of her room and down the stairs.

Anna was sitting at the kitchen counter flipping through a spell book when Melody came zooming in.

“Anna! Guess what!” Melody said beaming.

Anna looked up. In the last year, her age had peaked. Worry and the events of the year had worn her away, but she always looked ten years younger when she saw Melody smile.

“Finally, a smile has escaped the gloomy exterior,” Anna said closing the book in front of her.

Anna was the only person that would drop everything when Melody needed her.

“Anna! The Order is sick!” Melody said not realizing the awkwardness of the statement.

Anna laughed, “That is a good thing?”

“If the Order is sick, they aren’t hovering over Harry,” Melody said trying to pull the answer from Anna.

Still not fully getting it, Anna brushed some gray hair from her face, “Mel, I’m getting to old for games. What is going on?”

Laughing, Melody said, “Harry is coming here!”

Melody did a little turn, but Anna’s smile faded.

“Now, Mel, honey, you know your mother doesn’t approve of him.”

“That is why he is coming at midnight when Mama is sleeping.”

Anna’s confidence in Melody rarely wavered, but at this moment, Melody saw that Anna didn’t totally agree with the plan.

“Are you sure it is safe for Harry to be out alone?” Anna asked timidly.

“Anna, he’s Disapparating. It isn’t like he is out wandering the streets.”

Anna found her smile again and replied, “I suppose you’re right.”

She slid off her stool and returned the spell book to the shelf. Melody approached her as she turned.

Anna placed her hand under Melody’s chin, “You just be careful.”

Anna kissed Melody’s forehead and then exited the room. Melody stood alone in the large kitchen clutching the letter. Once she was sure Anna was out of earshot, she let out a squeal and then bounded back up the stairs to her room.

Upon returning to her room, Melody found another owl fluttering about very much to Hedwig’s dislike.

“Settle down, Pig,” Melody said she chased Ron’s tiny owl about the room, “I can’t read it if you don’t stop long enough for me to get it!”

Pig finally settled and Melody removed the letter from the owl’s leg.


Dear Mel
Harry told me about his plan. Hermione wanted me to make you to talk him out of it, but I think it’s a brilliant idea. I was just writing to wish you good luck and fool Hermione. Hermione and I are sending something along with Harry for your birthday. We hope you enjoy it. Hogwarts won’t be the same without you!

Ron


Melody smiled to herself. A few months ago, she would have ripped up the letter because it said Hermione’s name, but now their subtle disagreement only made her laugh. She placed the letter in her drawer and placed Pig in Sparx’s cage.

In all the excitement, Melody had forgotten about Hedwig. Quickly, she scribbled down a reply to Harry. Melody stroked Hedwig tenderly.

“Hedwig, can you get this to Harry as fast as possible?”

The owl hooted and Melody stroked her one last time before opening the window to let her out. She watched as the owl flew off the Harry.
Nocturnal Dream by Sparkling Star
Melody’s hands shook as she paced her bedroom. In a few moments, Harry would be there. Though months had passed, his face was still vivid in her mind, and she anticipated seeing it again in person.

She waited on pins and needles for the familiar pop of Apparation. Repeatedly, she looked herself over in the mirror. Of course, nothing was wrong, but nerves made her feel less than perfect.

11:58 p.m.

Two minutes stood between her and Harry’s reunion. She quickly moved the few remaining boxes into her closet. When she closed the door, her locket fell to the ground and she scrambled to replace it about her neck. She rarely removed the piece of jewelry that Harry had given her. Without it, she felt naked.

11:59 p.m.

One lonely minute remained in her time away from Harry. She shuffled across the room and looked herself over one last time. Her hairbrush hit the vanity just as the distinct “pop” was heard in the entry.

Melody fleeted out of her room and down the stairs. Harry turned and opened his arms to her. Twirling her playfully, he beamed down at her.

“Oh, Harry! It’s so good to see you!” Melody said before affectionately kissing Harry.

“It’s great to see your face again, Mel,” Harry said before hushing his voice, “You don’t think we’ll wake your mum, do you?”

“Oh, I almost forgot. Wait here,” Melody said as she trotted up the stairs to perform the freezing charm on her mother’s suite.

Melody descended the stairs as Harry asked, “What did you do?”

“Freezing Charm,” Melody answered remembering the only other time she had used the charm, “How long can you stay?”

Harry frowned.

“Not long. Moody was feeling a little better today. Hermione can only cover for me so long. Which reminds me, I’m supposed to give you this from…”

“…Ron and Hermione,” Melody finished, “Ron sent a letter telling me you were going to bring me something from them.”

Harry handed Melody a box wrapped in blue paper. She slowly uncovered the gift, which turned out to be a two-way mirror.

“Hermione said you already had one, but that was with Tonks.”

Melody nodded, “Tell them ‘thank you’ for me.”
“Actually, I brought you a gift as well,” Harry said timidly.

Melody took her eyes off the mirror to look into Harry’s, “You didn’t have to get me anything. I’m just glad you’re here.”

“Well, I had to give you something after what you got me.”
Melody had given Harry a full set of Auror encyclopedias and a book of Quiddich teams that she had gotten autographed by all of Harry’s favorite teams.

Harry pulled a bag from his pocket and handed it to Melody. Opening it slowly, she found a bottle that looked like it was filled with silver.

“I got that from Dumbledore for you. If you drink some, you can Disapparate onto Hogwarts grounds,” Harry said and continued when he found Melody speechless, “He also sent along this note saying that you are welcome at the school at all times.”

“I know it isn’t much, but I think it will be useful. I mean, then you could come and see me,” Harry assumed.

After Melody had taken it all in, she flew her arms around Harry’s neck and kissed him passionately.

“It’s perfect, Harry!”

There was a noise upstairs, so Melody led Harry into the living room. They sat on the couch and Melody laid her head gently on Harry’s chest. He stroked her hair as she hummed to herself.

After a long pause, Harry asked, “Why doesn’t your mom like me?”

The question threw Melody off guard, but she knew it was coming.

“She says I am endangering myself by being around you.”

“Well, she does have a point,” Harry said half-joking.

“But she’s also the one that wants me to get back together with Marcus,” Melody said without thinking.

When it came to other guys, Harry was very protective of Melody. He had nearly killed Seamus for cracking a joke last year.

“Well, you aren’t going to are you?” Harry asked tensing up.

“Going to what?”

“Dump me for Marcus.”

“Are you insane? Yes, Harry I am going to leave the guy I love for some egotistical French boy,” Melody said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Harry realizing his overreaction laughed, but stopped the second a figure walked into the living room. He rose quickly causing Melody to stumble a little, but when she gathered herself, she pulled Harry back down.

“Hi, Anna,” Melody said between laughs.

“Melody, Mr. Potter,” Anna addressed them.

Again standing, but this time out of courtesy, Harry said, “Call me Harry.”

Anna nodded to him but took a step towards Melody.

“Mel, honey, I came down to tell you that your freezing charm is wearing off.”

“Oh, I’ll go redo it,” Melody said standing.

“Actually, Mel, I better get going. I’m sure Moody has noticed I’m gone by now,” Harry said turning Melody so she faced him.

Anna excused herself and Melody looked down at the ground.

“I’ve been dreading this part,” she said softly.

“Yeah, me too,” Harry agreed.

They stood for many minutes avoiding saying good-bye. Melody finally leaned up and kissed Harry deeply. He wrapped his arms around her waist and held tight. When Melody took her lips from his, she placed her face in his shoulder and cried.

“Don’t cry, Mel. I’ll see you once I get to school. Trust me, you’ll see so much of me you’ll get sick of my face.”

Melody pressed her cheek against his and he kissed her neck. She pulled her head back and then kissed him again on the lips. Resting her forehead on his, Harry tried his best to soothe her.

“Come on, Mel. I’ll see you soon.”

Melody pulled him close again and whispered “I love you,” in his ear.

She took a step back and with a little pop, he was gone. Melody felt herself fall on the couch, where she remained until morning.
The Final Ally by Sparkling Star
The next day brought a euphoria that was inescapable until Melody was confronted by her mother.

Silence had environed the dinner table as Melody slowly chewed Anna’s food. Her mother’s gaze was glued to Melody, but she said nothing. Oblivious to the watching eyes, kept the image of Harry’s face tucked sweetly in the back of her mind. A fork dropped on glass and Melody finally raised her head to find the glare fallen upon her. Her mother’s hand was raised over the plate.

“What, Mother?” Melody snapped.

“Don’t speak to me like zat!” her mother replied, “I can’t believe you.”

“What did I do now to displease you, your Highness?”

“I’m so ashamed of you, Melody.”

Melody paused in confusion, “What are you talking about?”

“I think you know very well what I am talking about, Melody!”

Remembering the previous night, Melody cautiously shook her head, but it was hopeless. For once, Melody Chancelle couldn’t talk her way out of a touch spot. If her mother had been a teenage boy, a simple hair flip would make him lose his train of thought, but of course her mother wasn’t a teenage boy. She obviously knew and she revealed so by saying, “I know all about your little charade last night, young lady!”

Panic raced through her as she ran possible replies in her head. Nothing had an honest ring to it, and she had a feeling her mom was certain of her suspicions.

“It was nothing…” Melody began, but then restarted with an idea, “I couldn’t sleep, so I went downstairs.”

“Don’t lie to me, Melody! I know ‘arry was ‘ere!” her mother said, pushing her plate away, “I zought I made it perfectly clear zat ‘e was not welcome in zis ‘ouse.”

Melody counted to ten to herself, but nothing could have stopped her revolt. Rage had gotten the best of Melody and she rose from her seat. Before Melody could say anything, Anna scurried in only long enough to gather the two abandoned plates.

“Mother, you don’t understand,” Melody hissed.

“I’ve been in love too, Melody.”

“If you had you would know that by separating us you’re only making us closer, Mother!” Melody howled, “How did you find out, anyways? I froze your room.”

“Don’t worry about zat! You’re trying to change zee subject!”

In an unwise step, Anna entered the dining room to gather more dishes.

Anna’s appearance the night before replayed in Melody’s mind. Why would a freezing charm fade in less than an hour? How had her mother found out? The answers all laid in the aged woman before her.

“Wait a minute!” Melody wept. “Anna? No, Anna…tell me you didn’t tell her. Anna? I thought I could at least trust you!”

No words crossed Anna’s lips and Melody flew from the room. Her last ally in that house had betrayed her. Melody’s loneliness multiplied to its greatest height as she locked the door to her room, and lay down on her bed. Sobs escapes her as she moved onto her side and faced the nightstand.

After a few moments, the two-way mirror that had been placed by the bed revealed Hermione’s face searching the room.

“Melody? Are you all right? I heard someone crying,” Hermione’s voice called out.

Melody ran her hands through her hair and picked up the looking glass with the friendly face.

“Oh, Melody. You have been crying, haven’t you?”

Turning from her mirror to wipe her face she said, “ It’s my mother.”

“Did she find out about Harry?” Hermione asked as Melody nodded, “I knew it was a bad plan. I thought Ron told you to stop Harry. Now your mum must really dislike him.”

“It’s not that. I don’t care what she thinks anymore.”

“Then, what happened?”

“Anna told her about Harry.”

“Anna did?” Hermione asked thrown aback.

Melody nodded and wiped a tear forming in her eye.

“Hang in there, Mel. Only a week until term begins.”

“Yeah, one more week of Hell.”

Hermione shrugged, “Sorry, Mel.”

Melody nodded, “I better go. My punishment is coming up the stairs.”

Hermione waved slightly to Melody and was gone just as Mrs. Chancelle entered.

“Don’t walk out on me when I am talking to you!” her mother snapped.

“What else is there today, Mother?”

“Well, you could start by apologizing for ‘aving ‘arry ‘ere.”

“I won’t,” Melody replied gluing a nasty glare on her mother.

“Melody Renee Chancelle! I’m your muzzer and you WILL respect me!”

“Does that mean I’m supposed to respect my father as well?”

Melody had used a cheap shot. Bringing up her traitor of a father was the only way to break her mother down.

“Don’t talk about ‘im,” her mother replied.

“Why, Mother? Don’t you like being betrayed?”

Her mother paused, “Anna did zee right zing telling me ‘arry was ‘ere.”
“How would you know?”

Taking a step toward Melody, her mother said, “Sweetie, I am only trying to look out for you. We both are!”

“By taking all my friends away?”

“You’re only going to get ‘urt!”

“He isn’t like Dad, Mama! Just because you made the wrong choices doesn’t mean I will! Harry loves me and he isn’t going to hurt me!”

Her mother’s teeth were clenched as she said, "I meant zat You-Know-‘oo is going to return and if you are with ‘arry, you’ll be putting yourself in danger!”

“I’ll take that risk,” Melody said silencing her mother.

Her mother traced the vanity table with her finger until she said, “Melody, you’re too young to even know the evil of You-Know-‘oo. ‘arry got lucky once, but zat doesn’t mean it will happen twice.”

Melody screamed to herself as she threw a pillow on the ground. It wasn’t till she calmed herself that she said, “Get out of my room, Mother.”

“Zis is my ‘ouse.”

“Either you get out of my room, or I leave this house.”

After a short hesitation, Mrs. Chancelle left, leaving Melody alone once more.
Return by Sparkling Star
The days dragged on longer with every passing one. Melody rarely left her room, and when she did she refused to even look at her mother or Anna. Just as she had said to Hermione, this week was Hell.

A bitter side prevailed in Melody, and she frequently caught herself talking down upon her dearest friends. This summer had taken its toll on Melody as she slowly taught herself to despise those that got in her way.

Each day of Hell week went the same. Melody woke, showered and then picked up her breakfast in the kitchen only to take it upstairs. When she finished eating, she would take out her spellbooks and read until evening when she would again descend the stairs to the kitchen and pick up her meal. Immediately after supper, she would return to her room to do her usual workout, shower and then sleep.

On her final day home, Friday, instead of her workout, she took her keys from the hook and went on a drive. She spent the time clearing her mind as she passed her old hangouts. The radio was playing softly and Melody soon picked up on the tune. Mildly, she sang along. With each system in the music, she gradually found herself lost in the melody and was soon belting the pitches.

After two hours of this, she finally pulled into the garage and ignored her mother’s words as she bounded up the stairs. From outside her bedroom door, Melody’s mother nagged on about something as Melody simply went to sleep. She had almost been happy.



The day of her departure for Beauxbaton finally arrived and a smile finally played across Melody’s face as she stepped out the front door.

Once in her car, Melody made her way for Debuaton Park. The nearer she was to the park, the slower she went until eventually she reached the beautiful, green park. Her baggage was sent ahead days ago, so Melody walked casually through the park gaining no unneeded attention. After about ten minutes, she came upon the large oak in the farthest corner of the park. Other students were casually relaxing on the grass and waiting the time to depart.

The second Melody removed her sunglasses, she was mobbed by nearly all the students there. One at a time they captured her in a hug and interrogated her. Finally, through the crowd came Celeste. As a true friend should, Celeste saved Melody from the classmate.

Once away from the fan club, Melody locked Celeste in a great hug and they spent a few minutes reacquainting themselves. For a moment, Melody was back in her fifth year waiting for the time to leave to come with her dearest friend, Celeste. Not much had changed from that day. Her classmates loved her the same if not more, but too much had changed. A year ago, Melody would have killed to be back with her admiring peers, and now Melody found herself wishing the same thing with a different group of people.

Finally, the time neared and the students gathered around a beautiful collie. Around it’s neck, it possessed a lovely collar with a tag holding the Beauxbaton emblem. The students assigned to this portkey placed their hand on the collar and after a minute or so a familiar pull from behind the naval consumed them all.


The main building now towered over the group of seventh years. Melody looked up as all her memories of this building replayed in her mind. Excitedly, Celeste seized her by the arms and pulled her through the huge double doors. Once in the foyer, Celeste again began to pull at Melody’s arm, but someone much stronger had the same idea.

Towering over Melody was Madam Maxime. A huge smile danced on her face as Melody tried to fake enthusiasm to see her familiar headmistress.

“Finally! Our little songbird ‘as returned!” Madam Maxime sang as she pulled Melody to the side.

“Bonjour, Madam Maxime,” Melody replied half-heartedly.

“I assume you received my letter, Darling,” Madam Maxime said pulling a handsome, brown haired seventh year from the crowd, “We aren’t going to start this again, are we, Monsieur Marcel?”

Laughing Marcel replied, “No, Ma’am.”

Marcel…the name seemed familiar to Melody.

Of course! It was none other than Marcel Eubons! Melody hadn’t recognized him without the usual spellbook, glasses and know-it-all tone. She was only gone a year and the class geek had become completely chic.

“I zink ‘e zhould ‘ave just stuck to ‘is studies!” Madame Maxime said watching him run into the dining hall, “I assume you excelled wiz your studies even at ‘ogwarts. Of course, you did. Zat is of course why I chose you as Patron. Now, you need to get out to meet zee other students. Marcus is already waiting for you.”

Melody nodded and turned away to hide her disgust. She could almost feel his ego meeting her at the door as he bossed sixth years around. A stream of these students passed her and many of them called out greetings. Diverting her eyes from Marcus, Melody rested at the bottom of the railing.

It wasn’t long before he took on his familiar strut and crossed the yard to where she stood.

“Couldn’t stay away from me long, could you?” he said slyly.

Melody simply replied by turning away, but he still persisted.

“I heard that you had a thing for the famous Harry Potter, but it looks like that didn’t work too well,” he continued.

Turning sharply on her heel, Melody snapped, “If by a ‘thing’ you mean that I love him, your right.”

Hesitating slightly, Marcus replied, “Oh, you love him, do you? Then what are you doing here?”

“Trust me it wasn’t my choice.”

Easing his way closer the Melody, Marcus said, “Maybe it’s fate then.”

“I must have done something terrible in a past life if that’s the case,” Melody snapped back.

Marcus opened his mouth to answer but the fifth years arrived. Melody made her escape and slowly led them up the stairs. She continued to remain occupied as the other classes arrived. Jumping at the chance to introduce the first years to the school, Melody gave them a little speech about Beauxbaton, and led them into the dining hall.

Just as they passed the threshold, Melody glanced up and found two glittering eyes gazing at her through half moon spectacles.
Out of the Darkness by Sparkling Star
“Take care of these first years, Marcus,” Melody said waving a hand at him.

She trotted down the center aisle towards the Headmistress’ table as students rushed around the hall sitting down at the numerous round tables. As she grew closer and closer to Dumbledore, she quickened her pace.

She was nearly at a run when she finally reached him.

“Pardon me, Madam Maxime, but may I speak with Mr. Dumbledore, please?” She asked when Madam Maxime looked away from her fellow headmaster.

“Melody, I’m sure Monsieur Dumbledore will be pleased to speak wiz you later,” Madam Maxime replied.

“No, Olympe,” Dumbledore said winking at Melody, “ I believe I would be pleased to speak with her now.”

Slightly offended, Madame Maxime turned to the person sitting to her left. Melody quickly stepped onto the platform that raised the table and leaned in.

“Is there something wrong, Headmaster?” she whispered.

“Everything is fine, Melody.”

“Then, pardon me, but what are you doing here?”

“You’ll find out soon enough.”

He straightened himself out and Melody hesitantly stepped down from the platform. She paused for a moment, but then took her seat at the Patron table just steps away from where Dumbledore sat. Marcus winked at her from across the table as she waved to Celeste who took a seat next to Melody.

“’ow do you know zat man?” Celeste asked.

“That is Dumbledore, the Headmaster at Hogwarts,” Melody answered nonchalantly.

“Zat is zee great Dumbledore? What is ‘e doing ‘ere?” Celeste asked setting her menu down.

Melody glanced around the table and then said, “He wouldn’t tell me.”

They sat in silence for a few minutes before Madam Maxime stood. The whole school was soon on its feet, but returned to its place when Madam Maxime gestured.

“Bonjour, etudiants! I’m very pleased to see all of you again. Now, to get zee rules out of zee way, would you come up ‘ere, Melody?”

After a heavy sigh, Melody stood and stepped onto the platform. Numerous seventh years clapped at the return of their social leader, but the expression on her face remained the same.

“Silence. Silence. Les règles sont simples ici. Montrer respect et ne marcher jamais à tout instant de ligne. Les étudiants qui se cassent des règles seront réprimandé avec les devoirs de sols avec M. Charnette,” Melody said in perfect French before repeating in English, “The rules are simple here. Show respect at all times and never step out of line. Students that break rules will be reprimanded with grounds duties from Mr. Charnette.”

Melody stepped down and again took her seat. Once Madam Maxime had resumed talking, Celeste leaned over.

“It looks like everyone is ‘appy to see you back,” she whispered.

“Yeah, everyone but me,” Melody replied sharply.

Madam Maxime continued to drone on about her summer until finally she sat and Dumbledore rose. He looked perplexed from Madam Maxime to Melody.

“Good afternoon, students. I’m sorry my French isn’t as fluent as that of Mrs. Chancelle, so please bear with my English. Now, I come to you with good news! Three years ago, a very special event was held at Hogwarts, but went terribly wrong. The Ministry has decided it would be best to try again,” he said, “I am of course speaking of the Tri-Wizard Tournament.”

The usually well-mannered natures of the students evaporated with the last words.

Madame Maxime quickly rose hushing the room.

Dumbledore continued on, “Now, the same rules will apply. Only those who are 17 may enter their name in the Goblet and one person from each of the three schools, Hogwarts, Durmstang and Beauxbaton, will be chosen.”

“For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Tri-Wizard, it is a three stage tournament between the schools. The students chosen, or champions, perform strenuous and challenging tasks and at the end the winner receives 1000 Galleons. I’m sure that all those eligible know how the process works, so I will leave it at that.”

Dumbledore took his seat.

A solid silence covered the room and was not broken until Madam Maxime again rose from her tall chair.

“Zank you, Monsieur Dumbledore. Students, Monsieur Dumbledore comes to us from ‘ogwarts and Monsieur Brunckston serves as ‘eadmaster at Durmstang,” she said gesturing to the man on her left, “Zee students from zese schools zat are entering will be arriving ‘ere on ‘alloween.”

Melody nearly fell out of her seat. Harry was coming to Beauxbaton!



After the feast, Melody gathered all the first years near her table and separated them into their assigned houses. Thankfully, all of them remembered what they had been assigned in their letter and she easily left the members of the Rusé Dormitory in Marcus’ care. The Bravours followed her out the stained glass doors and to the right across the grounds.

The first floor was already swarming with pupils when Melody entered with her entourage. This floor was nothing different from the common rooms of Hogwarts. She acknowledged the room quickly, but then began climbing the spiral staircase in the center of the room. She waited as the last of the first years climbed the last step until she announced that boy’s dorms were to the right and girls to the left.

Once they were all safely stored away in their rooms, Melody continued up the stairs to the ninth floor. Just above the seventh year dorms, this was the Patron suite. Melody stepped triumphantly off the stairway and into a sitting room of her own. A fire blazed in the corner and beautiful leather sofas called out her name.

She collapsed on one for a second, but anxiously stood and wandered around the room. In another corner, there sat a mahogany desk with a lamp alight. Windows surrounded the room and a faint light lit the room, but the afternoon sun was going down now.

As she continued exploring the suite, she opened doors off to the side. The first she opened was her closet. Someone had already hung up all of her clothes and put away all her possessions, for her trunks sat empty on the corner. She closed the door to this room behind her and opened the next. This one led to her bedroom. The walls were a beautiful honey color that complimented the lilac, satin bedding. Frames stood empty on the walls awaiting her own photos. Pulling herself from the room, she closed the door and continued on to the next. The first thing she noticed of this room was its scent. Vanilla filled the air of her bathroom.

She reentered her sitting room nearly shaking with excitement. Everything that was negative about this year seemed to be showing a good result.

Passing the desk, she came upon yet another door. Behind this one was another bedroom. The walls were a stunning emerald and the bedding was white satin.

Celeste had to see this.

Melody began to walk down the steps. Soon, she was on the first floor searching for Celeste among the crowd. After a few minutes of searching, she found her sitting with Brigitte and Babette, twin seventh years, in the circle of chairs in the corner.

Melody broke through the crowd and yanked Celeste from the intimate group. She raced her up the stairs and to the suite. Celeste stopped in awe upon reaching the last step.

“Isn’t it amazing, Celeste?” Melody asked still in awe herself.

Celeste mouth gaped as she replied, “Amazing.”
Fragments by Sparkling Star
The next morning, Melody rose from her bed early and quickly slipped into the sitting room. Faint light entered through the large windows, but the room was still dark. Melody concentrated on the lights, and in a moment, they had illuminated. She had learned this trick as a young girl. Anna could always hear if she moved around after bedtime.

She took a step into the bathroom and crossed to the bath. Turning two handles, heavily scented water poured out. As it filled, she gathered her school uniform. For classes at Beauxbatons, female students were required to wear a collared shirt and modest skirt. From her closet, she pulled a khaki pleated skirt and a white polo.

Upon returning to the bathroom, she slipped out of her pajamas and into the water. She slinked under the water and pulled herself back to the surface. Before getting out, she rinsed and shampooed her hair.

When she reentered the sitting room, the morning sun was creeping through the room. She paused for a moment, but then with a flick of her wrist, dried her hair.

Sitting down at her vanity, she perfected herself for a few moments. When she had finished, she looked at her reflection for awhile. The longer she looked at herself, the more she grew fond of the image. Just the previous day’s good news had brought back a little of her confidence. She was ready to face her first day of classes.

In her bag, she placed the two-way mirror. Sometime today, she would call Harry, but it was too early at Hogwarts to call now.


When she arrived down at breakfast, Melody motioned for Celeste and the Pentier twins to join her at the Patron table.

Throughout breakfast, they were their usual selves…annoying. Babette and Brigitte gushed over Marcus who was seated opposite Melody while Celeste rambled in Melody’s ear about the latest gossip.

Melody ignored her until she mentioned Marcel Eubons.

“Wait, what did you say?” she asked.

“Oh, apparently, Maggie, Renae, Michelle, and Aimée all ‘ave a crush on ‘im,” she said matter-of-factly.

Melody leaned over slightly, “This Marcel…when did he become so…I don’t know…cool?”

“The summer before last year. According to his friends, ‘e was trying to impress someone, but I never learned who. I guess it didn’t work out, because ‘e doesn’t ‘ave a girlfriend.”

Picking up on the conversation, Babette chimed in, “Trust me, the only reason ‘e doesn’t ‘ave a girlfriend is because ‘e is the choosy one. ‘e could easily ‘ave any girl in this school.”

“Not any girl,” Melody said quickly.

“You just wait, Melody. You’ll see,” Babette replied.

Laughing, Celeste said, “Actually, Babette, I don’t think she is lying. Melody already ‘as a beau.”

With the mention of boyfriends, Brigitte turned around.

“If she ‘as a boyfriend, then why don’t we know ‘im?” she said quickly.

Trying to fight back the laughter after seeing Melody’s face, Celeste replied, “Oh, I’m sure you know who ‘e is.”

“Celeste, stop it,” Melody said sharply, “They don’t need to know.”

“What?” Babette laughed, “Is ‘e really that disgusting?”

“Harry’s not disgusting!” Melody snapped before realizing her blunder.

She clapped her hands over her mouth and slumped over in her seat. The twins’ eyes were wide as they slowly leaned toward her.

“’arry Potter?” they said in unison.

Celeste looked at Melody and shrugged, “Well, there’s no use ‘iding it now. Yes, the famous ‘arry Potter is Melody’s boyfriend.”

“Must you say it like that?” Melody said, pulling herself up in her seat.

“ ’e is famous, Melody,” Celeste replied.

As Celeste pretended she knew Harry for the twins, Melody reached in her bag and pulled out the mirror. It was broken.

Not again.

Over the summer, Melody had gone through a nasty phase where things broke or shattered around her whenever she was angry. It had stopped happening, so she assumed it was over for good.

She rose and looked into the depths of her bag. There were shards everywhere, she would have to take this to the foyer to fix.

“Where are you going, Melody? You still ‘ave to tell us if ‘e is a good kisser,” Brigitte laughed.

Turning around, Melody shot her an almost disgusted look. Ever since she had met Brigitte, things had been this way. Melody had assumed she would change, but Brigitte never did.

“You know what, Brig. I think it’s about time you grew out of this unbelievably annoying stage and got a life of your own,” Melody said sharply.

As she exited the dining hall, she heard glass break behind her. Without even looking back, she entered the foyer.
7:50:…6:50 at Hogwarts.

It was still too early to call Harry.

She walked out onto the yard, but hesitated at the bottom step. There, by the large willow tree, stood Marcel.

Resisting the urge to go over to him, Melody quickly continued on the stone path. The click of her shoes was soon met by another and she turned around to find Marcel behind her.

“Can I help you?” Melody asked, feeling awfully awkward.

He smirked, “Actually, you can by going to Marcus’ party with me on Friday.”

Melody rolled her eyes and continued on her way, “I don’t even know you.”

“I’m Marcel Eubons,” he said, walking backwards before her.

“Well, I know that.”

He stopped causing Melody to run into him. Two gorgeous blue eyes looked down upon her, and she found herself caught up in them. She made to push him away but he still held onto her arm.

“I don’t see a problem then,” he said in a cocky manner.

“Sorry, I’m not interested,” Melody said as she pulled away and left Marcel alone.

Keeping her composure in front of Marcel hadn’t been so hard, but the fact that his eyes were now clouding her head was another story.


When she entered her Divinations classroom, Professor Vanilea was sitting at her desk.

Without looking up, Vanilea said, “Hello, Mademoiselle Chancelle. It is nice to see you again.”

“Thank you, Madam,” Melody said faintly, taking her seat.

Vanilea looked up and into Melody’s eyes.

“Melody? Why are you so soft spoken?” Vanilea asked, standing and crossing the room to where Melody sat.

“I’m just tired,” Melody lied.

“No, you aren’t,” Vanilea laughed, “Did you forget who you were talking to, Melody? I know if you are lying.”

“Then maybe you can tell me what’s going on inside my head,” Melody joked.

Vanilea laughed again, “I’m afraid that even I can’t organize the mind of a seventeen-year-old girl.”
Fickle's Choice by Sparkling Star
Classes passed as Melody completed her first week at Beauxbatons. Each day fell into a routine. Everyday before her first class, she would be confronted by Marcel, and everyday she refused his invitation to Marcus’ party.

After class on Friday, most of the seventh years disappeared to get ready for the party. Inside her suite, Melody was pacing and glancing at the clock instead.

When 6:30 rolled around, Melody jumped up from the sofa and called into the two-way mirror.

“Harry! It’s Mel,” she said, rather excited.

Harry’s head popped into view, but his expression wasn’t quite excited.

“Oh, hi, Mel,” he said, almost too dully, “What’s wrong?”

Caught off guard, Melody said, “Nothing. Can’t I talk to you?”

“Actually,” Harry began, looking over his shoulder, “I’m sort of on my way out.”

“Where are you going?” Melody asked, her eyes narrowed.

Looking uncomfortable, Harry regretfully continued, “Well…it’s just this thing, nothing really.”

“Then what’s all the hurry about?” asked a very suspicious Melody.

“It’s just a little party in the Room of Requirement.”

Melody paused. Of the two, Harry was the suspicious and jealous one, but something came over Melody.

“Is Ron going?” Melody finally asked.

A trick question…If Hermione wouldn’t let Ron go, then there was something Harry wasn’t telling Melody about this party.

“No, I don’t think so,” Harry said quietly, “I have to go.”

And with that last interjection, the mirror was clear…and broken.

“Oh for God’s sake!” Melody yelled, fixing it once again.

She began to pace until Celeste climbed the last step into her suite.

“Melly? Do you think I could borrow your silver clutch?” she asked, energetically, “It’s a shame you won’t come with us to the party.”

Celeste began to walk to Melody’s closet, but was stopped by Melody.

“Sorry, Celeste. I think I’m going to be needing that bag.”

Celeste laughed, “Is that the best you can do? If you’re going to give me lame excuses you can at least make them interesting. All you ‘ad to say was you didn’t want me to use your purse.”

“No, Celeste,” Melody chuckled, “I’m coming too.”

A smile brightened Celeste’s face, but it faded quickly.

“But Mel, you said that ‘arry would not approve.”

Entering the closet, Melody replied, “If he can have fun, so can I!”

Celeste hesitated as she picked up one of Melody’s necklaces, “What are you talk”“

“Nevermind,” Melody interrupted, “This is going to be just like old times.”



Marcus’ suite was crowded as Celeste and Melody made their way across the room. Melody’s discomfort grew with every step through the dancing mass. She kept seeing Harry’s face on their bodies and imagining some of the awful thing he could be doing.

Just as Melody was about to make herself a seat on the couch, someone placed a hand over her eyes. She grabbed the hand and spun around to find Marcel. He glanced down at Melody’s hand, which was still linked with his own.

“And you told me you weren’t interested,” he smirked as he pulled Melody closer to the dancing students.

“No, Marcel. You don’t understand. I have a”“

“Huge crush on me?” Marcel finished.

“No! I have a bo”“

“Whatever it is, you can tell me later, but now you’re going to dance with me.”

With that, Melody was pulled into the crowd. She stood still for a few moments, but as soon as Harry’s face popped onto the body of a guy making out in the corner, Melody grabbed Marcel’s waiting hand and began to dance.



As the party guests slowly disappeared, Melody found that the phantom Harry face was gone.

She moved from Marcel to get her purse, but he stopped her.

“Melody?” Marcel asked in a small voice, “Do you think I could walk you to your room?”

Without thinking, Melody agreed. It wasn’t until they were in her sitting room and Marcel tried to hold her hand that she snapped out of her daze.

“Look Marcel…” she began.

Marcel took a step closer to her, “Before you say anything, Mel. I want you to know that I missed you last year. The summer after fifth year I decided that I would change so that I could get your attention, but then you were gone.”

Melody was speechless. Marcel looked so defeated, so broken up inside. She took a seat next to where Marcel had sunk to the couch.

“Why are you fighting me?” he said as he grabbed her hand.

“I’m not fi”‘’

But before she could say another word, Marcel had leaned in and kissed her. Reflexes made her jerk back, but before she knew it, she was pulling him towards herself. Wrapping her arms around his neck, Melody lost all sense. Whether it was loneliness or attraction, Melody was giving in to Marcel.

When she finally pulled away, she didn’t say anything. It took a few minutes before she snapped out of it. Fear and sadness combined on her face unlike the joy playing across Marcel’s.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, beaming.

“Marcel…I have a boyfriend.”

Marcel turned to face the fire. They sat in silence for a few moments, for Melody was fighting the urge to hold him.

She was about to when he said, “Well, who is he? I’ll talk to him.”

“No, Marcel,” Melody said, coming back to reality, “This wasn’t supposed to happen.”

“Well, it did, so what happened now? You can’t just forget it.”

“I know that, but I…love him,” Melody said, half-heartedly.

Marcel turned sharply in his seat to face Melody, “Then why did you lead me on?”

“I tried to tell you at the party, but you wouldn’t listen.”

Marcel cursed to himself as he looked away again, “Just tell me who he is.”

“Harry.”

“Bonveau? You’d choose him over me? Melody, I’ve never even seen you speak to that kid!”

Melody fought with herself over whether to tell him or not.

“It’s not Harry Bonveau. This Harry is from Hogwarts,” she said, timidly.

It took a moment, but Melody knew when Marcel figured it out. He rose from his seat and took a step towards the fire.

“How am I supposed to compete with the famous Harry Potter?” he said without looking at Melody.

“Marcel, you aren’t.”

Marcel paused for a second before crouching in front of Melody, “Then why did you kiss me back?”

Tears were finally forming in Melody’s eyes, “I don’t know.”

“Can you honestly tell me that you didn’t want that to happen?” Marcel asked, solemnly.

He stood and began to circle the room slowly. Melody’s gaze moved from a portrait of Harry to Marcel over and over again.

“Marcel…” Melody began causing him to turn “I’m just confused.”

“Why?!” Marcel exclaimed, “Either you want to be together or you don’t.”

Melody sat with her hands folded in her lap for a long minute before standing beside Marcel. She stationed herself right in front of him and took his hands in her own.

“I want to be together.”
Wake Up, Sunshine by Sparkling Star
I want to be together…

She shouldn’t have blurted it out. What else should she have told Marcel after he so willingly laid his heart on the line? It wasn’t all a lie. At the moment, Marcel looked a lot better than Harry, who was obviously hiding something from her. Maybe it was time to break it off with Harry…maybe.

Her emotional battle was raging on, but it still wasn’t the biggest of her problems. In the last week, she had broken the mirror so many times that it was a safety hazard to be in the same room with it! Last night alone, she had broken every glass vase in her suite. It wasn’t until picture frames began to shatter that she decided to ask someone about it.

At her desk, she sat and wrote:

Dear Professor Dumbledore,

I know you’re terribly busy, so I’ll keep this short.

In the past few weeks, I have had a lot of trouble controlling my powers. I’ve never had a problem before, so I’m a little concerned. Any advice would be helpful.

Melody Chancelle

She sent the letter with her owl, Sparx, and went about her typical Saturday routine.


The next day in the library, Melody was tediously labeling her star chart for Astronomy when Brigitte Pentier took a seat beside her. They hadn’t spoken since their scene at breakfast, so silence smothered both until Brigitte gave a little cough.

“Are you going to talk to me,” she finally asked, “Or am I too immature?”

Melody almost came back with a snappy remark, but stopped when she saw Brigitte’s face, “Sorry, Brig. It’s just…well, I didn’t want to talk about Harry.”

“Oh, I see.”

Silence fell over them again as both absent-mindedly paged through the books in front of them.

“Mel,” Brigitte began, “I know it seems like all I talk about is boys, but you know…whenever I try to ‘ave a real conversation with you, you don’t take my seriously.”

“I don’t need this,” Melody thought to herself.

“Do you want me to apologize or something?”

Offended, Brigitte replied, “Well, I’m not ‘ere to force you, but I think it would be the decent thing to do.”

The librarian swooped over them with her finger glued to her lips.

“Well, if you recall,” Melody hissed, “I already apologized once.”

Brigitte opened her mouth to say something, but instead, rose from her seat and stormed off, leaving her book open.

Melody returned to her star chart and was content until her eyes fell on Brigitte’s exposed book. Staring up at her were two sharp, green eyes. She picked up the book and read about Harry for a moment, before resting it on the table. Harry smirked up at her, and all she could think about were the lies he was housing. She gathered her things and made to leave, but paused. Harry was still eyeing her. For a long moment, four eyes were locked until she stood and with as much force as she could, she slammed the book shut.

“Was that really necessary?” the book called, as she stomped off.


Much to Melody’s surprise, she found Sparx perched on her chair when she arrived for breakfast on Monday morning. As she anticipated, a small roll of parchment was tied to the owl’s leg.

Visit me on Saturday
…Professor Dumbledore

PS “ Harry can give you the password.



Slowly, Melody rolled the small note and placed it in her book bag. She was going to roam the halls of Hogwarts again this weekend, and she couldn’t help but feel mildly excited.

Her glee quickly faded as she spotted Marcel heading up the center aisle towards the Patron table. She unsuccessfully tried to hide her face with her hair, as he came up behind her. He hovered over her for a moment before he gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Walk you to class?” he asked, offering his arm.

Melody nodded but did not receive his arm. Instead, she fiddled with her schoolbag. There was a long silence as they exited the dining hall, but as soon as he grabbed her hand, a twittering group of fourth years ran off, buzzing.

The gossip bounced off Melody until Celeste walked into the foyer. Celeste’s brown eyes grew to the size of Kolsta (French wizarding coin, like a galleon) as she scurried over.

Immediately, Melody remembered that Celeste was still under the impression that Marcel was harassing Melody as Celeste slapped Marcel’s hand.

“Celeste!” Melody exclaimed urgently.

“Leave her alone, Marcel. She said ‘no!’” Celeste said, ignoring the look Melody was passing her, “I mean, honestly! There are plenty other fish…”

Celeste was cut off as Melody dragged her away from Marcel.

Once they were out of earshot, Melody explained the situation to Celeste. As she finished, Celeste was looking over Melody’s head, shaking her own.

“What about ‘arry?” Celeste asked, pleadingly.

Melody was silent for a long time as the said the words over in her mind. She would never be able to explain it all, so she decided to say what might please her.

“Well, I haven’t seen him in awhile…and Marcel is really nice. Oh Celeste, don’t look at me like that!”

After an awkward silence, Celeste began, “You are SUCH a fickle fool, Melody! You change boys more than you change shoes. ‘ow can you jump from guy to guy?! Don’t you ever think of them and their feelings?!”

And with that, she turned on her heels and marched into the dining hall.

Timidly, Melody rejoined Marcel, but didn’t take his hand.

“Melody? Is there something you want to tell me…like the reason you refuse to hold my hand?”

Melody hesitated, but then took his still extended hand, “No, I just feel weird, because I still haven’t broken up with Harry.”

“Oh…second thoughts,” Marcel said, sternly.

“It’s not that,” Melody lied, “I just feel wrong knowing he doesn’t know. Does that make sense?”

Marcel nodded, “Fine, but let me know when you’ve spoken to him.”

He kissed her forehead and took off to the yard.


The week passed quickly and on Friday night, after a week of waiting to hear from Harry, Melody gave up and called him.

“Harry?” she said sharply into the mirror.

She repeated his name for a few more times before he finally appeared.

“Oh, Mel. Hi.”

Again, he looked distracted as his eyes refused to meet Melody’s.

“What’s going on?” Melody asked.

“Nothing.”

Melody clenched her jaw as Harry continued to glance about what looked like his dorm.

“Well, I thought I’d tell you I’d be at Hogwarts tomorrow,” she said quickly.

Finally, she had his full attention, but the look upon his face was less than comforting.

“What time?” he asked nervously.

“I thought I might spend the day with you…if that’s alright!”

Melody could feel her emotions from the night of the party returning, but Harry was still oblivious to her temper.

“Well, I have…um…Quidditch practice.”

This time he had slipped. Melody knew very well that there was to be no Quidditch this year due to the Tri-Wizard. Melody’s heart sank to the pit of her stomach.

“Oh really,” she began, “What time would that be at?”

Harry’s face brightened as if he had won something.

“Why don’t you come around at three tomorrow afternoon?”

“Okay,” Melody said stone faced, “See you then, I guess.”

Before he could spout another lie, Melody put the mirror face down.
Imagery by Sparkling Star
After lunch on Saturday, Melody swam through her trunks looking for the precious bottle. The liquid silver potion was wedged far in the corner. Pulling it out, her hands ran over the surface.

It was only 1:30, but Melody had planned on showing up early. If Harry had to lie about where he was, she was going to find the truth.

Returning to the sitting room, she tapped the tip of the bottle with her wand. The chromed cork popped out easily, and Melody brought the bottle to her lips. She wasn’t certain on how much to take, so she quickly downed half the bottle.

At first, she felt nothing, but that was soon erased as a sudden flood of warmth slowly made it’s way through her body followed by a severe cold. The sensation ended quickly to Melody’s relief.

Concentrating on the Gryffindor common room, Melody felt the rush of Apparition consume her until she stood right in front of the warm fire.

What appeared to be two first years, screamed and darted up the stairs to the girl’s dormitories. They were met by Ron and Hermione who flattened against the wall to let the shrieking girls through.

“I swear!” Ron shouted, “They’ve all gone mental!”

Melody laughed as she casually took a seat next to the fire. From the corner of her eye, she saw Hermione stop at the notice board as Ron took a seat adjacent Melody.

“Hello, Mel,” he said, glancing up.

Ron didn’t know Mel was coming, so within seconds he performed a classic double take.

“Mel!” he exclaimed as he rose to his feet.

Melody jumped up from her seat and rung her arms around his neck (which took a bit of a jump). He twirled her in a circle before placing her on the ground again.

“I missed you, Ron,” Melody said as they took a seat.

“Yeah, it hasn’t been the same without you around here,” Ron said before turning toward Hermione who was still examining the notice board, “Mione! Look whose here. It’s Mel!”

Melody again bounded to her feet and embraced Hermione.

“What are you doing here?!” Hermione asked, her voice a bit higher than usual, “It’s so great to see you!”

Melody smiled, “I have a meeting with Dumbledore, so I thought I’d stop by a bit early.”

The smile on Hermione’s face faded as she glanced at Ron who had been trying to get her attention.

“What wrong?” Melody asked.

Hermione nervously tugged on her sleeve, “It’s just that…well, Harry is…um…he’s busy.”

Melody’s eyes narrowed as she remembered why she was there, “I know.”

“You do?!” Ron asked urgently as he got to his feet.

“Well, he’s obviously doing something that none of you want me to find out about,” Melody replied.

“What do you mean?” Ron and Hermione snapped together.

“He lied to me about where he was going today, so I’ve come by early to figure it out.”

With that she began her way up to Harry’s dormitory. Once outside the door, she knocked a warning and entered. Stroking a large plant in the corner, sat Neville. As soon as he spotted Melody, he clambered to his feet knocking down a telescope.

Laughing, Melody crossed the room and hugged him.

“Oh, Neville,” she said, still trapping him in her arms, “I’ve missed you.”

Neville blushed as she released him, and he took a seat on his bed. Melody sat down beside him.

“How are things, Neville?” Melody asked.

“Fine, I guess. How about you?”

Melody thought about the day before her, “I’ve been better.”

Neville gave her a sympathetic look behind his round cheeks, “I’m sorry, Melody.”

Melody shrugged and then rose from the bed. She took a few steps about the room until her eyes fell on Harry’s photo album, which was lying open. Melody had seen this before, but the face smiling up at her was not familiar.

The girl’s brunette hair was tied into braids, and she looked up through two big, hazel eyes. Melody gazed at the image for a moment until she heard Neville rustle behind her.

“Neville,” Melody asked charmingly, “Whose this?”

She showed him the picture and his face quickly scrunched at the forehead.

“Um…well that’s…that would be Sarah, Sarah McGunther.”

“Really? And how does Harry know this Sarah?”

But before Neville could answer, Melody rushed to the dormitory door. Someone has entered the common room and was making quite a fuss.

“Hermione! Ron!” Harry’s voice called, “Mel is going to be here in an hour, and I sort of told her I was at Quidditch practice.”

“Harry, Mel knows there isn’t Quidditch this year,” Hermione snarled.

“I know, but I’m just going to tell her we set up a game against Ravenclaw for fun. Ron, I need you to run down to the pitch and get your gear on.”

“Why don’t you just tell her the truth?” Ron asked annoyed.

Melody heard Harry throw something on the ground, “Because she would love to know that I was down by the lake with Sarah.”

“You said it was totally innocent,” Hermione said, “So there should be nothing to hide.”

“Yeah, it is…but it’s like when you cringe every time Ron is alone with Mel. You know nothing will happen, but it still gets to you”

“I suppose…” Hermione trailed off.

“But you still have a problem,” Ron said, ignoring Hermione’s response, “Mel is up in the dorm right now…and she isn’t happy.”

“Shut it, Ron. That isn’t funny.”

Ron laughed, “I’m not kidding, Harry. You better hope she’s just talking to Neville.”

Melody pulled away from the stairs and waved her hand across the room. It was instantly clean.

Footsteps were coming up the stairs, but she hurried out of the door and met Harry on the step.

“You don’t seem happy to see me,” she joked, “I’ve just been tidying up your dorm. Would you like to see?”

She mouth to Ron and Hermione to stay put and led Harry up to the dorm. A blur she assumed was Neville brushed past them in the doorway, and she lightly pushed Harry into the room.

“Well, this looks nice. I’m sure Ron will like to see it,” Harry said, turning to the door.

He only took about one step before he was face to face with Melody who started to walk him backwards.

“Quidditch?” she asked simply.

“Yeah, well…you see…it was”“

“A game for fun?” Melody finished.

“Exactly! We met up with the team from”“

“Ravenclaw?”

“Right…” Harry said with his back to the wall, “How much did you hear?”

“Everything,” Melody snapped, “Whose Sarah?”

“Just a girl from Ravenclaw.”

“Just a girl you put in your photo album,” Melody said emotionally as she magically summoned the photo album.

“But, Mel,” Harry said before he was cut off by Melody’s raised hand.

“Save it.”

She turned on her heels and marched out of the dorm.
Meeting and Mail by Sparkling Star
Melody left Ron and Hermione in her dust as she stormed through the common room. Any remaining affections for Harry seemed to have seeped out of her body, yet tears still filled her eyes as she traveled the corridors. She hid her face with a wave of hair and scurried to the entrance to Dumbledore’s office. She wanted to disappear behind the gargoyle and escape from the prying eyes all around her, but there was one problem.

The gargoyle stared blankly at her anticipating a password.

Pacing for a second, she was interrupted by a hand grabbing her waist. She whipped her wand from her pocket and Harry was thrown back.

“I don’t want to talk to you,” Melody said coldly, leaning over him with her wand at his neck.

Harry got back to his feet, “At least let me explain what you saw.”

“No!” Melody snapped as a sharp sound identified Harry’s cracked glasses, “Just tell me the password and leave.”

Harry looked as if he was about to object, but instead he gazed down at her through his fractured lenses and offered up the secret word. Without saying anything else, Melody nearly shouted the word to ignite the spiral stairs.

Dumbledore was pleasantly sitting at his desk when Melody appeared in front of him.

“Take a seat,” he said, raising his wand.

“Don’t bother,” Melody replied summoning a chair herself from thin air.

Dumbledore gazed at the new seat for a moment before continuing, “Now, Ms. Chancelle. I believe you had an issue to discuss with me, something about shattering glass,” Melody nodded, “Of course. Why don’t you explain it to me.”

Melody fidgeted in her chair, “Yes, Professor. You see, everytime I’m angry or really emotional, it seems that my powers go a little haywire.”

“And glass shatters?” Dumbledore finished.

“Exactly.”

Dumbledore began to stroke the magnificent phoenix beside him, “I’m glad you’ve come to me, Melody. I’ve been waiting to contact you.”

“About what?”

“You’re not an average seventeen year old witch.”

Melody laughed, “I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or what, but….okay?”

Dumbedore’s aged smile parted, “By that, I meant that you have an extraordinary gift.”

Melody’s eyes were fixed on Dumbledore for a long time as she tried to think of anything special about herself. She opened her mouth to say something, but Dumbledore beat her to it.

“Your magic is by far stronger than any student your age. You’ve already noticed the first sign.”

“The glass,” Melody said, mostly to herself.

“Precisely. But of course, that is only the beginning. Have you noticed anything else?”

Melody shrugged, “I guess I have been doing magic without a wand over the summer.”

Dumbledore seemed to be deep in thought for a moment, but then came back to life with a nod.

“Yes, I would imagine it would be easy for you,” he said quietly, “How are things with Harry?”

The change in subject threw Melody off as she started to speak, “Pardon me, Professor, but what does that have to do with anything?”

“Just curious,” Dumbledore replied with a smirk.

Melody was still uncertain as she got up to leave when the time came. Before she departed though, Dumbledore spoke from his desk.

“Remember, Melody, flaws are a fact of life.”

She brushed it off with a nod before disappearing with a “Pop.”


When Melody reappeared in her sitting room, she was surprised to find Brigitte pacing the room, running her fingers across shelves.

“Brigitte? What are you doing here?” Melody asked.

“I know all about Marcel.”

Thinking of the gossiping academy, Melody laughed, “Who doesn’t?”

“Don’t be smart with me, Chancelle,” Brigitte snapped.

Melody paused. Brigitte was obviously not here to see if Marcel was a good kisser.

“I also know about ‘arry,” she continued, “You were off kissing Marcel before you broke up with ‘arry. You still ‘aven’t broken up with ‘arry.”

Brigitte’s eyes were cold as she visually struck Melody down. It didn’t take long before Melody knew where this was going.

“Please don’t tell him,” Melody said near silence.

“Why shouldn’t I? All I care about is boys.”

Brigitte’s cold eyes narrowed even more on Melody. There was something pleading behind the ice.

“What will it take for you to keep quiet?” Melody asked, sharply.

“’arry.”

“What?!” Melody shouted.

Brigitte’s grin widened, “If you’re through with ‘arry, I want ‘im.”

“I can’t make him like you. Besides, who said I was through with Harry?”

“Really?” Brigitte said devilishly, “Marcel will love to ‘ear that.”

The room fell silent to the point that Melody’s shallow breathing was obvious.

“Okay, he won’t be mine forever, but I can’t make him like you!”

“You ‘ave good persuasion skills, use them!”

Melody mulled the situation in her mind for many minutes as Brigitte’s gaze remained fixed on her.

“How am I supposed to break up with him and then convince him to date my friends?” Melody said in a final reasoning attempt.

“Melody, a man can ‘ate you and in the next second ‘e’ll be carrying your schoolbag. ‘arry is no different.”

Harry was by far different. Once she called it quits with him, it was over. His pride would never let him crawl back.

“Please, Brigitte. Why do you want this so badly?”

Brigitte’s eyes finally left Melody’s and fell on the window, “You’ve always ‘ad the glory, Melody. You don’t know what it’s like to be lost in the crowd.”

“And Harry is going to solve that?!” Melody asked desperately.

“It might not ‘ave made much of a difference for you, but it would make a world of difference to me. All I need is that one thing to make me stand out, and ‘arry is it.”

Brigitte had exposed her weakness, but Melody couldn’t think of taking advantage of that. She was too feeble to be given up on.

“I’ll try,” was all that Melody said and Brigitte was gone.

Once again, Melody found herself as the target of blackmail, but this time she could lose a lot more.
Unwritten in the Stars by Sparkling Star
Fresh from her return from Hogwarts, Melody stood frozen in her living quarters. She never thought she would actually be right, because it was Harry. She never thought Harry would turn against her. Not her Harry….

Melody crumbled to the sofa in her sitting room. She felt the suffocation of anguish take over her breathing. Helpless on her own, her chest bounced with irregularity. Everything she has hyperbolized about Harry’s actions was lying before her as clear as day. All the suspicions, all the jealousy had been deserved. Harry had betrayed her, and now she was left with a decision. She knew the only answer already, but refused to accept it for another week.

She sat through her classes with a face of stone as she allowed everything to bounce off her. Nothing made it’s way into the mess that was tearing away her insides and taking its toll. Each day was a little harder as she was reminded of happier times by every giggling student and each couple she past. Her Patron duties remained unfinished as small first years were lost in the crowd and many an argument resulted in hospital visits. She walked the halls as a clone in the mass and nothing more.

Each night, when she returned to her suite, she skipped her schoolwork and hid in either the bath or her bed. The temptation to return to Harry resided in the sitting room in the communicative looking glass. Constantly, Melody heard Harry’s chants penetrate the silence, but she wouldn’t pick up the mirror. It wasn’t until the messages stopped that Melody found herself wrapped in Marcel’s arms.

Droplets escaped Melody’s eyes and fell upon her flowing mane. Marcel removed the damp hair from Melody’s cheek as she spilled the betrayal. She told him about the album and the lies until she couldn’t bear any more tears. The soothing heave of Marcel’s chest relaxed her as they sat in silence. Marcel’s hand graced Melody’s hair as she readjusted to look at him.

“Maybe now’s the time, Mel,” he said, tucking a golden strand behind her ear.

Melody was surprised it had taken so long for him to mention it, and she knew it was the truth. Marcel patiently awaited a response as Melody gathered his attributes in her mind.

“You’re right,” Melody replied simply.

She rose from the sofa in Marcel’s dorm and took a step toward the door. Marcel rose behind her, but Melody stopped him with her hand to his chest.

“I’ll tell you how it goes,” she whispered.


Melody stared at her reflection for ages as she quickly assessed her options. The mirror had now been silent for three days, so she only entertained the thought of putting the mirror down.

“Harry Potter.”

The image swirled for a while before she had a clear picture of Harry’s dorm. It seemed as thought the Hogwarts world had frozen since she was there. Everything lay where she had left it except for one thing. The photo album had been taken from the ground and placed on the trunk.

Melody’s chest heaved as she called out Harry’s name. She heard a door snap shut before Harry frantically appeared before her.

“Mel! I ha”‘’

“No,” Melody said softly, “I’m not here for apologies. I only want you to listen to me one last time. Is that too much to ask?”

Harry gazed at her for a moment, “Last time?”

“Harry,” Melody continued, “You know that every time I said I loved you, I meant it. Actually, that was the only time I meant it. Every thought was always on you and every concern was always for you. I never thought we could go wrong. I thought you loved me as much as I cared for you, but how am I supposed to know now?”

“I did, Mel. I stil”‘’

“Listen! How is it that every night this summer I cried that I would see you soon, and now, you are off looking for something on the side while I can’t be with you? Honestly, Harry, we were going to be together soon. You couldn’t even wait it out that long? Am I not worth it? Is it because I wasn’t there for you to…I don’t know, be with?”

“Now, Mel. Sarah and I never did anything like that,” Harry replied anxiously.

“Then why did you hide her from me?”

Harry said nothing as Melody gazed down upon him.

“When did you kiss her, Harry?”

Harry’s head shot up as if she had shouted his biggest secret only to fall again.

“I know it happened. I can tell you’ve been trying to hide something more than a friendship.”

“It was first week of term.”

Melody nodded, “That is what I thought, and how long could you have known her?”

Harry’s hesitation was a blow to Melody’s heart as she felt the sting of sadness sneak upon her.

“A week,” Harry whispered.

“How can I trust you?!” Melody finally snapped before succumbing to the tears.

Harry’s eyes returned to Melody in surprise.

“I’ve never let you down, Mel!”

“Until now,” Melody emotionally gasped.

“So you’re not going to give me another chance? You’re not going to let me mess up?!” Harry shot at her, “How many times do I have to prove that I love you?!”

Melody was struck by the comment sharply as she sensed his temper rising.

“Now I’m the bad guy?! Harry, you break my heart and then try to break up with me?!”

Harry’s face fell, “I wasn’t talking about breaking up.”

“Well, I am.”

Melody kept her face as solid as she could, but Harry’s eyes intently pleaded with her. At the sign of no retraction, Harry’s face changed from weakness to violence as his eyes narrowed on Melody.

“You’re giving up that easy?!” Harry shouted after a moment of locked eyes, “You know what, Mel, I’m over it. Go! Prance off with you French friends and forget about this! Just go!”

And with that, the image broke into a million pieces.
As the Lock Falls by Sparkling Star
The mirror was irreparable. The pieces came back together, but the image still remained sectored. The final link between Melody and her time with Harry had been lost.

Days following didn’t flow well as Melody was overtaken by anxiety over her choice. Between breakdowns, Melody was trapped in a stoic daze. Monday rolled past, and nothing changed except that Melody earned herself detention in all four classes, as she failed to pull herself together to get to them.

With the hellish week, the constant anxiety faded, but Melody struggled with her emotions a week from Monday as she entered Madam Vanilea’s classroom to serve her first evening of detention.

Her posture slumped, she entered the room in silence. It wasn’t until she slid into an empty desk that she realized Madan Vanilea was preoccupied with a student.

“I know you can do better!” Vanilea exclaimed, exhausted, “You do marvelously on exams, but when it comes to oral presentations, you are suddenly useless. What am I going to do with you, Marcel?”

Melody felt herself sink into the seat as he rose from his beside the professor’s desk. She tried desperately to slip under the radar as he climbed the wooden steps exiting the room.

His hand finally graced the door handle, but he turned as Melody received unwanted recognition from Madam Vanilea.

“Oh, good. You’re here, Madamoiselle Chancelle!”

Knowing that hiding was futile, Melody sat up straight in her desk. She assumed Marcel would continue on his way now that Vanilea had acknowledges her, but instead he began to move toward Melody.

“Oi! Monsieur Eubon,” Madam Vanilea called from her desk, “Melody is serving detention and that doesn’t include you.”

As usual, Marcel flicked on the charm, “There has to be something I have done during Divinations to earn detention.”

A grin played across his face that slightly softened Melody.

“Heaven knows, but you may be excused.”

Marcel again turned for the door. He was nearly out of sight when he caught himself on the doorframe.

“Au revoir…. for now,” he laughed as he finally departed.

There was a long pause, as the room seemed slightly gloomier. Madam Vanilea leafed through a few papers at her desk until she rose, tracing the outline of its surface with her index finger.

“Come, sit in these first rows, Melody.”

Fear wasn’t a concern for Melody as she gathered her bag and moved to a seat parallel to the rack of crystal balls. Vanilea eyes followed her as she took her own seat in front of Melody.

“Why are you here, dear?” Vanilea said, gazing into Melody’s eyes.

Melody instantly closed her mind to the new intruder causing Vanilea to look away in laughter.

“You’re quicker than your friend, Monsieur Eubon. He could tattoo his thoughts on his forehead for how loosely he wears his emotions on those blue sleeves.”

Cautiously, Melody smiled at her professor’s obvious words. For a moment, she relived the night of the party and Marcel’s honest character. Before she could stop herself, her mind burst into a million emotions as she recalled her conversation with Harry.

“I thought so…” Vanilea whispered.

Cursing, Melody slapped the desk.

“When it comes to reading minds, you’re dealing with a master,” Madam Vanilea announced with a flourish.

“It’s nothing.”

Vanilea gazed at Melody for another moment before returning to her desk.

The ticks and tocks pounded in the room as Melody’s crossed arms rested on the desk before her.

Only ten minutes passed before a professor Melody did not recognize burst into the room. The stout woman hobbled frantically down the stairs pleading for the Divination teacher’s audience.

“Lucille! Lucille! Come at once!” the pale instructor called out between heaving gasps, “There’s been trouble in the dining hall!”

Madam Vanilea calmly rose from her desk, but instantly asked for a more detailed briefing.

“Well,” began the unnamed teacher, “I was walking back from the Headmistress’ office when I heard yelling. Of course, I acted at once and found that all the tables had been magicked to the ceiling while dinner was going on. Luckily it was still early so very few students were present, but I can’t seem to get anything out of any of them. That is what brought me to you. We really must hurry, it has ruined dinner…. for the students.”

Without a word Vanilea followed her colleague out of the room. Melody was told nothing, but remained almost shocked in her desk. Very few moments past before Melody felt a hand caress her neck.

A small shriek escaped her before she swiveled in her seat to find Marcel grinning down at her.

“Genius, right?” he asked, parking himself next to Melody, “ Now, I don’t know how long those kids can block Vanilea, so it’ll have to be quick.”

“What’ll have to be quick?!” Melody nearly shouted.

“Was he angry?”

“What? Whose angry?” Melody asked frantically.

Marcel chin dropped to his chest before he reached up and brushed his hand against Melody’s face, “It’s a good thing you are beautiful.”

Melody gazed into his eyes a moment before knowing instantly what he was looking for. She approached gently as she removed his hand from her face and covered it with her own. Every ounce of happiness that came with seeing Marcel was gone as Melody attempted to find the words.

Marcel’s eyes pleaded with her she felt her chest heave. To ease some discomfort she looked away and met her reflection in a nearby mirror. The sunlight hit the small heart shaped locket around her neck. Her right hand abandoned Marcel’s as she wrapped her fingers around the small ornament.

They sat for another moment as Melody’s index finger continued to trace the fragile chain of the gift. As her entire hand grasped the golden heart, her hand flowed with the movement of her chest.

Her grip on the sentimental necklace tightened for a moment before she ripped it from her thin neck with one painful motion.
Ron's Plea by Sparkling Star
Melody pranced through the following days as a stitch on Marcel’s sleeve. Her external disposition blossomed greatly, but inside she was dead to the world. Every night she found herself again at the mercy of tears as she would eventually drift into slumber.

The days past quickly as Melody threw herself into every last responsibility and attended each available social endeavor. Her entire thought process was devoted to staying busy, but it all came to a crashing halt one morning at breakfast.

Surrounded by the usual suspects, Melody was chattering on about the upcoming exams and thrills when Pig twittered to a stop and began pecking at her roll.

“Pig! At least give me my letter before you begin destroying things!” Melody laughed.

It took Marcel and Marcus to hold down Pig until she finally removed the letter from Pig’s leg.

“You go ahead back, now. I think I will send my reply with Sparx.”

Pig eyed Melody for a moment revealing an almost offended look before taking a swig of water and departing. Melody rose from the table to retreat to some privacy, but failed as nearly the entire table stood to accompany her.

Melody looked about the table at the gossip hungry faces and then down to the parchment letter before her marked with Ron’s messy handwriting.

“You guys stay here and finish your breakfast. I’m only going to Transfigurations. I forgot I still have a bit of homework with Madame Mappello.”

The group was slightly leery of the blatant lie but slowly took they seats again except Marcel who stood anticipating a goodbye kiss. However, he never got it as Melody hurried off to the foyer.

She frantically shredded the envelope. What she really needed then were her true friends and maybe a little bad news about Harry’s condition, and who better was there to give her both than Ron.

Dear Melody,

For starters, I apologize for anything Pig may have done just now. I’m still waiting for him to mellow a bit. Mione says it will happen, but by the looks of it, it may take some time.

How have you been since I saw you last? We didn’t really get to talk, but I hope all is good there. Mione and I are entering our names in the Goblet, so we will be there on Halloween with the others. She tells me that she want to enter for the challenge, but I think we both know she can’t bear being away from me that long.

They’ve started Hogsmeade visits right away this year, so we are going this weekend.

We all really miss you back here. Some more than others, you could say.

I’m going to blunt, Mel. You need to think about what you have done. Do you really want it to be over with Harry? Now, I’m his best friend so I can be the first to tell you he isn’t perfect, but be reasonable. It’s killing both of you.

Hoping you are well,
Ron

Melody read the letter over a few times before she heard the distant chatter of her accomplices and disappeared into the student lounge. The letter slid through her fingers for a few more minutes as she creased and re-creased the corners.

Melody stood from her chair and with a little spin found herself at home in her suite. She returned to her messy closet and pulled from her trunk the silvery potion. It would have been easier to send a letter with Sparx, but there was a good chance it wouldn’t make it to Ron in time. With the mirror indisposed, Melody had no choice but to talk to Ron herself.

The same uncomfortable rush came with only a small swig of the potion as did with half the bottle (Melody remembered that only a little sip was necessary for the potion to work). Again she swung around in a circle, but ended far from her suite, in the Gryffindor common room.

For a moment she searched about, but found the room deserted. Assuming Ron was still in bed, she decided to track another Gryffindor down in the Great Hall as they ate breakfast.

She found the Great Hall to be dotted with the earliest risers. It was an hour earlier than at Beauxbaton, so Melody quickly crossed half the hall to where a small group sat at the Gryffindor table.

To her relief she found it to be Hermione, Neville, and Ginny. Melody was nearly upon them when she felt a cold hand capture her arm.

Draco Malfoy had never looked so disgustingly handsome. He kept his fingers around Melody’s thin arm as he ordered his goons to leave.

“How nice to see you again, Chancelle?”

Being as courteous as humanly possible, Melody maneuvered her arm from his grip with a smile, “Et toi.”

“I see you have picked up some French again,” Malfoy sneered.

“Seeing as I go to school in France now, I thought it might be a good idea.”

“Why must you be so sassy with me, Melody? You must admit we had a few good times.”

“Fun or not, I still ended up in the hospital wing if I recall correctly.”

“But it really was for the best, right? I mean, how else would Potter have gotten his chance to be the hero?”

Melody gazed into his cold eyes for only seconds before she concluded that he knew.

His smirk answered any doubt, “Oh, but then again, it seems even that failed.”

Just then, a shot of yellow light passed over Melody’s shoulder and Malfoy’s pointed face became solid. Melody spun around to find Harry in between her and the staff table.

They stood for a long moment with their eyes locked, but as Harry opened his mouth to speak, Melody cut him off.

“I don’t need you.”

She brushed past him and took a seat next to Hermione who had witnessed the entire ordeal.

“Mel, that was a bit harsh, don’t you think?” Hemione asked timidly.

Glancing over her shoulder, Melody replied, “Nice to see you too.”

Neville and Ginny looked at each other for a moment before rambling off places they had to be and disappearing into the entrance hall.

“I’m sorry, Mel,” Hermione began, “Of course it is great to see you. What brings you to Hogwarts?”

“Ron wrote me a letter, so I came to answer it.”

“Is there something wrong with Sparx?”

“No, but I came to tell him that I would be coming again on Saturday to meet you in Hogsmeade.”

“Oh,” Hermione replied with a puzzled look illustrating her face, “Ron and I have an open period now, so why can’t you stay now?”

“Trust me. I would, but at the moment, I am skipping Transfigurations to be here. I just finished a mess of detentions, so I want to keep the next batch to a minimum.”

Hermione’s eyes were wide the instant Melody said 'Transfigurations.' “MELODY! You have to get back to class. Go! I’ll tell Ron, but you have got to get to class.”

“No wonder I had so few detentions last year,” Melody laughed before leaving Hermione and the on-looking Harry in her dust.
Alone in Turbulation by Sparkling Star
Melody returned to her suite to find a return pest lounging on the sofa.

“Melody, darling! You’re back!” Brigitte sang, rising to her feet.

“Of course I’m back,” Melody snapped as she returned the silvery potion to her closet.

“Where were you off to this time?”

“That’s really none of your business.”

“Hogwarts?” Brigitte leered, “Now, since you weren’t in Transfigurations you ‘ave earned yourself another detention.”

“Yes, I have,” Melody replied, annoyed.

Brigitte’s smirk widened, “But seeing as someone was charitable enough to claim you were ill, you ‘ave gotten out of that.”

“Who would do that?”

“Me, of course, but I can take it right back if you don’t ‘ave good news for me.”

Melody was silent for a moment.

“What kind of news?” she asked cautiously.

Brigitte’s phony smile faded as quickly as it was conjured, “Why else would you go that school?!”

Harry…that’s what this was all about.

“Oh! Of course I have good news,” Melody lied, “He adores your photo.”

“Really? I’m surprised you two ‘ad such a courteous visit. According to the others, it wasn’t what you would call a clean break-up.”

Melody, who has been on her way to escaping behind the bathroom door, pivoted on her heels to meet Brigitte’s eyes.

“What others? I’ve only told….Marcel,” Melody said before falling into her own introspection, “So that’s how it will be? It’s going to be Marcel versus Harry all term?”

“Which is why I can take ‘arry off your ‘ands,” Brigitte remarked breaking Melody’s daze.

Melody felt her eyes tingle as she looked at the shallow mess before her.

“How can you be so heartless?”

“Until the moment I’m with the famous ‘arry Potter, I remain but a ring on your finger, catering to your every social need. It’s time that the tables shifted and I ‘ave my ounce of fame.”

“You can have it! I’m sick of it all, especially that group of airheads you cling so desperately to.”

“Marcel will love to ‘ear that.”

Melody sighed, “We’ll see…probably the instant you trot down those stairs…which is about now.”

With that, Melody raised her wand. Her vengeful guest’s feet left the floor and her shadow danced to the top stair.

“Now, I can drop you and you can plummet most likely to your death or you can go cordially.”

Frozen in fear, Brigitte silently pleaded with Melody and was gently placed on her feet.

Melody stifled laughter as Brigitte’s eyes burned. Her burst of brunette curls exploding from the ribbon at the base of her neck disappeared down the stairs.

Howls of laughter escaped Melody as a confused Marcel mounted the last step into her sitting room.

Slightly too obvious, Melody’s smile faded. Her relationship with Marcel was terribly new, but how was she supposed to deal with the news that whatever she said to him might leak out to the others.

“Nice to see you too,” Marcel laughed as he approached Melody.

He was about to wrap his arms around her waist when Melody sharply stepped away. Like a puppy, he took another step closer only to be met with a similar reaction.

“What’s the matter with you?” Marcel snapped.

Melody spun on her heels to throw Marcel a nasty glare.

“With me?! I just don’t what to do anything I’ll hear all about tomorrow in Herbology.”

Marcel remained clueless for a moment, but within seconds, his stature became that of a guilty child.

“That’s right, Marcel. You should feel sorry. I can’t trust you with anything.”

“I’m not normally like this, Mel…I thought you would want to turn people against him…so that…so that when he got here, everyone would….would, um….not….like him?”

Marcel has lost that argument before he had even begun. Melody stood in silence with her hand on her hip remarkably like her mother. Marcel remained leery for a moment, but he quickly turned on the charm as he slipped his own arm through the triangle formed by Melody’s arm and torso. With his free hand he traced her hip and slid around her waist to meet his other hand.

He gazed into her eyes for a moment before guiding Melody’s head to his chest.

“Do you forgive me?” he asked as Melody took in the scent of his shirt.

Melody was still for a moment, “I suppose, you could be something worse.”

“Yeah, I could be Harry,” Marcel joked.

Melody began to object, but Marcel had begun to stroke her hair in his perfect manner, so she just nodded and took the moment in.


The main street of Hogsmeade was a mix of green, yellow, red and navy as Melody looked fondly upon the familiar robes of her former classmates.

She traded updates with those that recognized her as she sought out the Three Broomsticks. Her hand had just graced the doorknob when she spotted Seamus, Dean and Neville leaving Zonko’s Joke Shop. Until this moment, these boys had seemed so distant, but they were fresh in her memory as Seamus pointed out a very pretty sixth year to Dean with a nudge. Not even ten feet from them stood Lavender Brown and the Patil twins huddled together comparing purchases. They painfully reminded Melody of herself and Celeste a little over a year ago. Melody watched as Luna appeared from the shop and took Neville’s arm. Much to no one’s surprise, Luna then pranced into the middle of the street and urged Neville to examine an odd weed growing between the bricks on the road.

A tear escaped Melody as she looked from face to face. They seemed almost frozen in time as if nothing would disturb them and their biggest concern was a coming exam. Their noises and movements opened Melody’s eyes to the charade she’d attempted to play back at Beauxbaton. She could never return to the life she had before Harry. As long as he was in the back of her mind, she couldn’t be this lighthearted.

Quickly, she wiped her eyes and turned the knob to escape a past that Harry has stolen from her.
Confronting the Past by Sparkling Star
Hermione’s finger traced the lip of her butterbeer as Ron was animatedly describing some sporting event. Obviously bored, Hermione pounced from her stool as she spotted Melody pass through the dark doorway.

Her eyes shifted about the room past Melody’s shoulder as she forcefully guided her to a third stool beside Ron. Melody had barely rested a hand on the table when Ron grabbed the leg of the stool and turned it so Melody was facing the portrait just over his shoulder.

“What is wrong with you two?” Melody said, regaining stability as the stool wobbled.

The duo remained tense for about ten minutes until a door slammed which caused Ron to send his mug sliding across the table.

“How are preparations going at Beauxbaton?” Hermione asked as her arm casually looped with Ron’s.

“Non-stop,” Melody began with a smile, “The headmistress is going completely overboard…like always. In fact, Marcus and I have been asked to step in and take care of the necessary tasks like schedules, because she has overlooked them for silly things like the daily shipment of flowers to decorate the foyer.”

“Marcus?” Hermione remarked, “That old boyfriend?”

Ron nearly choked on her final swallow of butterbeer.

“Oh stop, Ronald!” Hermione said pulling away from him, “If that’s so weird, I should feel threatened that you and Melody as sitting at the same table.”

Melody couldn’t help but laugh at this, but it was short lived.

“There isn’t anything going on with Marcus, is there?” Ron asked wide-eyed.

“Nope, not Marcus.”

Melody caught Hermione’s eye to caution her on the subject. Ron remained clueless as he rose from the table to get a refill on his mug.

The girls sat in silence for a moment, but silent moments never lasted long with Hermione, especially if there was an underlying question waiting to be asked. Needless to say, that question surfaced.

“Not Marcus? If not him, who?”

Melody glanced over her shoulder and was pleased to see Ron entranced by a Quidditch book with the usual suspects.

“I suppose it’s better that you hear it from me rather than her.”

“Who’s her?” Ron asked from behind her, causing Melody to jump.

He took his seat and glanced from Melody to Hermione searching for a hint.

“Promise you won’t be angry with me,” Melody said, lowering her head.

Ron and Hermione exchanged looks before returning their gaze to Melody.

“What are we talking about?” Ron howled.

“Shush, Ron!” Hermione snapped.

“I mean, you can’t be too angry, because he did the same thing to me,” Melody said, avoiding their loyal eyes.

“Fine! Just tell us already.”

Four eyes were glued to Melody as she tried to form the correct wording.

“I guess I had no right to be so angry with Harry, because…I…his name is Marcel.”

With this, their eyes faded. Ron and Hermione shared a blank expression as they looked at eachother while avoiding Melody’s pleading eyes.

“Please don’t tell Harry,” Melody asked after a fair moment of silence, “If anything, I want to tell him myself.”

“And you will tell him, right?” Hermione said in reply to Ron’s dropped jaw.

“I’m not even speaking to him!” Melody almost laughed, “If I ever speak to him again, it won’t be to tell him that…but it’s not time to worry about that now.”

Hermione gave Melody a half smile, but the already awkward atmosphere had shifted to blatant discomfort all too quickly. Melody took this as her cue to depart, for she curtly bade them farewell before journeying out into Hogsmeade’s innocent streets.


Initially, she intended on returning to school right away, but instead, she popped into a few shops. Trying to console herself, Melody purchased a lovely, silver cloak she had no use for back at Beauxbaton. She draped it over her white cashmere cardigan and stepped into the chaos of the street once more.

As Melody continued toward the castle, it seemed as if the sea of students parted to create an aisle for a coming lethal duo to grace. The photo from Harry’s album materialized before her in a petite-framed brunette glued to Harry’s side.

For a moment, Melody watched the energetic fool, but the noise surrounding her disappeared as two emerald eyes found her exposed in the bustle.

What came next took every ounce of decency within Melody, but she proudly marched up to that disgusting angel.

“How do you do? It’s Sarah, isn’t it? Of course it is. I recognize you from your picture,” with this Melody tightened her cheek to form a malicious smile, “Oh, forgive me! I’ve forgotten to introduce myself. I’m Melody Chancelle. I went to Hogwarts last year.”

Sarah stood in utter confusion for a moment until she generously offered her hand.

“I know who you are,” she said artificially, “Oh, Harry! Look who’s here.”

He didn’t need to be reminded; for his eyes had been glued to Melody since the instant he spotted her in the mess of people.

Though people hurried around them, the sudden silence cut the air. Melody’s face remained in it’s Barbie doll pose as Sarah’s eyes shifted between her hurting companions.

“I assume you’ll be entering your name in the goblet on Halloween. I mean, Ron and ‘Mione have told me how impressive you are on a broomstick.”

The way Sarah used Hermione’s friendly nickname made Melody vow never to use it again as it seemed tainted now.

“I thought about it,” Melody said through her plastered smile.

“I’m entering, but I have a feeling Harry is going to represent Hogwarts again.”

“You’re entering?” Harry asked ignoring Sarah’s playful nudges, “You sure you could handle it? Those tasks are real. They aren’t a little Quidditch match.”

Melody had been courteous until this point, but she threw it out the door as Harry smirked down at her as if she was merely a foolish child.

“No matter what it is,” Melody began, “ You can’t get lucky twice.”

Melody guided Harry’s eyes to the girl beside him to emphasize her true meaning before disappearing.
Want and Need by Sparkling Star
She was a mess. She was a hypocrite. She was a liar. She was a wreck, but most of all she was lost. She was lost in her own feelings and her own mind. Melody created herself a world where she wouldn’t have to concentrate on people as she surrounded herself with Marcel and the others.

The school burst into activity in the coming days as Madame Maxime stomped around the academy making sure nothing went unattended. Everything except the necessities of schedules and dining hall arrangements, for these were left in the hands of the school’s Patrons, Melody and Marcus.

Excused from two days of classes leading up the to delegation arrivals on Halloween, Melody would have rather sat through hours of lecture with old Professor Binns at Hogwarts than sit beside Marcus for ten minutes. Of all the poor memories Melody harbored of her life, Marcus had to be the most regretful…

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

At the time Melody took to following Marcus about, it seemed that it was destined to happen as she was the most popular girl and he was the most popular boy. Really, it was all in image. Melody never really cared for him, but for the longest time, she faked out all her comrades with her incessant giggling and little pecks on the cheek here and there.

To all that surveyed them, they seems like the dream couple, but what their audience missed was the way Marcus never really looked Melody in they eyes. They never saw the way he looked right over her head to the girls passing them in the halls. They didn’t know all the times that she caught him chatting up another girl in an abandoned classroom. They just saw perfection.

Melody never understood why she stayed with Marcus so long. In the end, it wasn’t up to her to end the disastrous relationship out of hatred, for Marcus brought it upon himself as he went too far and blatantly kissed a girl in Melody’s presence. It may have been the perfect reason to end the mess, but still it burned as Melody’s hand struck his face. She made a big scene at the time and ended up making their loyal fans at the school turn away from their former king.

It was in that time that Melody began her reign over the school. She had them mesmerized by her strong attitude as she handed Marcus terrible remarks publicly. One might have seen her as a heroin to those trapped by Marcus’ charm and power over the school, but she was only a little girl searching for acceptance…just to be liked.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

Their relationship had turned into a tough exchange of insults in an instant and now, as they were making lists of the coming student’s classes, they were silent.

Melody had found herself in Marcus’ company more than she wished lately due to the fact that he had taken Marcel in after his transformation, making Marcel forever in his debt. Their recent encounters had led up to this cold silence, as it seemed neither felt the need to bother with the other.

Melody leafed through her finished list of the Hogwarts students and began placing them in seventh year classes accordingly. As she came upon Harry’s class list, she couldn’t help but pause and let her hand brush over the sheet. His rigid handwriting made it difficult as she carefully printed his name in her chart of classes. Melody’s full schedule saved no chance of being free of him with free periods, except his.

Marcus’ eyes found her gazing down at his paper joyfully, bursting with forming insults. Melody felt his gaze on her face and quickly shuffled the papers before burying Harry’s deeper in the pile.

Bracing herself for the coming cruelties, Melody turned to face Marcus.

“Yes?”

He opened his mouth to say something, but hesitated. For the longest moment of Melody’s life, he sat there looking into her eyes, which held all the burdens of the past weeks.

“Just wondering if you were entering the tournament,” he said, returning his gaze to the awaiting pile of papers.

“Thought about it,” Melody said as she turned to her own pile.

“Well, you know, Fleur got it last time, so it’s going to be a man this time.”

Melody wasn’t sure if the last remark was a joke, but she took it as sexist as all things seemed to be if they radiated from Marcus.

“Do you really think the Goblet knows if I have breasts or not?”

Marcus laughed at this in a way that was new to Melody.

“I suppose not. You’ll give me a run for my money. I know that.”

With that, Marcus rose from his seat and gathered the scheduling papers. He took a step for the door, but paused mid-step as if to turn and say something, but again he denied Melody an insight into his thoughts and resumed walking right out the dining hall doors.


To add insult to injury, Melody now had a new personality to deal with inside an already troubling “friend.” Marcus was the last person she thought she would be turning to, but in the days to come she found herself taking many walks with him along the river just sharing memories of their year apart. Something had changed in him very quickly, but Melody couldn’t see what.

The truth began to unravel as they walked past the Quidditch pitches the night before Halloween. The topic had begun with a funny story involving Harry.

“If you miss him so much, why are you with Marcel?” Marcus asked, freezing Melody in her stride.

Laughing, Melody tried to turn the tender subject into a joke, “Marcel has better hair.”

“Seriously,” Marcus said taking a step back toward Melody, as he had surpassed her.

“What makes you think I miss him?”

Marcus laughed, “We walk around here almost every night and every night you have another story about him. Why else would you insist on talking about him?”

“If I had a funny story about Marcel, I would tell you that too, but you are always there when those things happen.”

“But why can’t you think of anything when it comes to Marcel?”

“Marcel is still new. You’d have to give it time.”

“You told me a story about Harry from the first day you met him, and you have been with Marcel for a month.”

“Technicalities,” Melody said, resuming her quick pace.

“Come on, Melody,” Marcus said trailing after her, “Even we had some funny stories.”

“Do you want a funny story about Marcel?!” Melody shouted, “Fine! Well, isn’t it funny that I can never seem to stay angry with him even though he deserves it?! Oh! I have a good one. The other night, after he told you guys all those embarrassing things, I told him that he was running a thin line and we ended up making out for an hour! Marcus, I want to be with him, but I don’t want to be with him when he is around you and the others. I want the person I left Harry for…I want the vulnerable boy that came into my suite and fed me wonderful stories about devotion. I want…”

“Harry,” Marcus finished.

This was obviously the wrong thing to say as Melody Disapparated leaving Marcus alone in the chilling night.
And They Come by Sparkling Star
The next day moved far too quickly as Melody dreaded that evening’s arrivals. By now, it was apparent that the rest of her old friends from Hogwarts would know that Harry and Melody were over, and Melody wasn’t sure how they would receive her after the news. Did they think it was her fault? Did they side with Harry? Who was to know what would meet her from across the river?

It was already three o’clock when Melody faced her old pal, Brigitte, in the foyer.

“Melody!” Brigitte squealed, finally catching Melody between tasks, “I was just thinking. Would ‘arry like a teal dress or a red one?”

“Brigitte, you know that we are all to wear our formal uniforms,” Melody said as she tried to find an escape route.

“Those ragged things?” Brigitte smirked.

They were hardly ragged; for these uniforms were elegant party dresses more than uniforms. Satan created a drape across the shoulder and neck to meet loose sleeves tied at the crest of the shoulder, the elbow and around the wrist. At the waist the ends of the shirtfront formed into silk strings to be wrapped around the waist and tied again, creating a deep V on the back. A silk, pencil-line skirt graced the hips and ended with a beautiful embroidered crest just below the knee.

“What do you want, Brigitte?” Melody asked out of annoyance.

“We’ll see tonight, won’t we?”

Brigitte turned and left Melody with a train crash in her head. How long would it take before Brigitte told Harry about Marcel? Would she get the chance to explain herself? What would he think of her after the fuss she made over Sarah?

But Melody didn’t have time to worry about that at the moment, for she could hear Madame Maxime thundering in her direction. She quickly darted out the front door where she found Marcel and Marcus trying to magic a welcome banner over the two story doors.

Melody laughed as they argued over it being level until she got annoyed and simply waved her wand to do it herself.

“I have to do everything myself?” Melody laughed as Marcel awkwardly took her waist.

He leaned in so his cheek pressed against her temple, “Want to walk?”

Melody pulled her head away before looking at Marcus who was conveniently looking the other way. Pausing slightly too long, she nodded and Marcel took her hand.

Their lap around the campus was nothing but silence with a few quiet remarks until they were outside the Bravour dormitory.

“Melody, I know Harry is coming tonight…and I just want you to know that I am ready to defend us against him!” Marcel finally said puffing out his chest.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Melody began, “He doesn’t even know.”

Marcel’s half smile faded, “You didn’t tell him?”

“Of course not! I couldn’t after I was so angry about Sarah.”

“So what does this mean?” Marcel said, growing angry, “Are we going to have to hide it?”

Melody was afraid to answer as she saw a hint of rage in Marcel’s eyes.

“Only when there is a chance he will be around.”

Marcel snorted, “And when won’t that be?”

“If you wanted to be with me so badly, you could deal with this! I mean, back at Hogwarts…”

“What this time, Mel? Did you and Harry have to hide your picture perfect love from the world? If so, I feel absolutely terrible.”

He swung around Melody and disappeared through the dorm door, but Melody followed.

“Don’t walk away from me, Marcel!”

Marcel continued up the steps, “Why not? It’s exactly what will happen every time Harry shows up. I’m just practicing.”

“Marcel!” Melody shouted, freezing Marcel in his stride.

She was about to go off on him, but she noticed the crowd gathering at the base of the stairs, so she clasped onto his arm and they disappeared only to reoccur in her suite sitting room.

“This attitude is the LAST thing I need right now,” Melody said backing Marcel into a wall just like she had Harry, “Tonight, my ex-boyfriend is coming here with his new girly friend and I am going to have to pretend to be courteous. Champion selections are tomorrow and I have a group of people to guide around that may just hate me. Please don’t make me worry about us too.”

Marcel was silent for a moment, but in his usual manner he turned it into a chance to kiss Melody before leaving her to change into her formal uniform. Melody spent the next half hour moving her finger in a circular motion to curl her hair before pinning it to the side of her head to create a waterfall of ringlets tracing her neck.

She sifted through her jewelry collection in search of her diamond barrette. When she pulled it from the tangle of chains, a particularly thin chain surfaced with it - a small locket with a dainty music note on the face. For a second she considered tying it around her neck, but resisted and left her neck bare.

She slipped her feet into her favorite heels and began her descend down the stairs. As she went she announced the time to those still dressing. Many of the students had long since finished out of excitement and had continued out to the dining hall where they would await their guests.

Marcus was waiting for Melody on the top step outside the main building. She took her place beside him and they waited for any sign of the delegations. Marcus watched the river, as Durmstrang would be arriving in their typical manner of ship, but Melody had no idea where to look for the Hogwarts arrivals.

The silence was suddenly broken as both groups arrived from two directions. The Durmstrang did in fact come from the river, but the Hogwarts Express materialized in the valleys across the river.

As both vehicles came to a stop and unloaded, Melody and Marcus began their charade. She looped her arm in his as a proper lady would and they grinned plastically to the curious travelers. As soon as all eyes were on them, Melody and Marcus gracefully descended the stairs in step with each other like royalty.

Something must have struck the delegations, because silence fell over them instantly. Be it the glimmer from Melody’s barrette or Marcus’ charming smile that had them, it kept their attention until they crossed the bridge and split from each other with a slight bow and proceeded to their own assignments.

Melody avoided the eyes of her former classmates and focused her attention immediately on Dumbledore, who stood in the middle of his small band of entrants.

“Headmaster, it is so good to see you. I hope the trip was comfortable,” she said.

“Only took a moment,” Dumbledore said, taking Melody’s offered hand, “Don’t you look stunning in your natural habitat. It seems you have left some of your formers a little speechless.”

Melody politely laughed at his remarks, and took that dangerous step to begin the Beauxbaton introduction. These eyes were drilling into her, as she felt exposed before them.

“Bonjour,” she said halfheartedly, “As most of you know, I’m Melody Chancelle. I am Patron here at Beauxbaton, what you might recognize as Head Girl. As you will be participating in our courses, we have provided schedules that you will receive tomorrow, but now, I am sure you are all hungry, so let’s head into the dining hall. After dinner, remain seated, as there will be a tour of the grounds. Which reminds me, you are welcome to sit where you like from tomorrow on, but tonight we have set up a special table for your delegation.”

She rattled it all off as she had rehearsed showing no particular emotion or pleasure in seeing these people. They were her past, a past she wanted to rid herself of at the moment.
Letting Go by Sparkling Star
The meal passed quickly without much commotion. Following it, Melody carried out her promised tour and eventually led them back to their train. As they were forming a line to mount the steps to the bus, Melody grabbed Ron and Hermione’s arm. She pulled them back over the river and behind the main building.

“Hi!” she said, happy to see her friends, “I know it’s the first night, but there’s going to be a great party in the woods. You two should come.”

Hermione and Ron looked at one another for a moment, but turned and nodded before taking a step back to the train.

“Don’t bother. You can Apparate back to the train,” Melody laughed doing just that but to her suite.

The room was dark, so Melody nearly fell over when she heard a common voice penetrate the silence.

“You lied to me.”

Melody waved her hand in the darkness to make the lights come up. On the sofa, Brigitte sat in her teal party dress with her arms crossed.

“You lied to me,” she repeated.

“Now, Brigitte, you put me in a very touchy situation with this. There is still time. I can talk to him.”

Brigitte rose with a devilish smile on her face.

“No, you broke our deal and I intend to keep up my side of it.”

“What if I got him to meet you at the party tonight?”

“I don’t think ‘is little girlfriend would do well with that. I’m telling ‘im tonight,” Brigitte hissed before making an attempt to Apparate before Melody grabbed her arm.

“Please, Brigitte,” Melody pleaded, “Let me tell him myself.”

Brigitte looked her over for a long time until she nodded and marched down the stairs.

Completely relieved, Melody took to getting herself ready for the party. She let her pinned back curls cascade to her shoulder blades and changed into jeans and a halter. Summoning a half jacket from her closet, she slipped on the heels she had kicked off in the shadows.


Melody enchanted herself to the Hogwarts train. She made to knock on the door before she remembered the intentions of the evening. Instead, she moved to one side and knocked on the window.

It opened to reveal Crabbe, Draco’s disgusting crony. He smiled down at her in the most troubling way that Melody was very tempted to move on to the other side of the train.

“Draco,” he growled, “I think you’ll want to see this.”

The white blond hair of her old tormentor appeared through the now completely raised window.

“I thought you would be here,” he smirked.

“Actually, I wanted someone to get Ron and Hermione for me.”

“Not Harry?” he said with a huge grin, “Oh yes, I forgot that he dumped you for that over excited poodle.”

“She is a bit like that, isn’t she?” Melody began, “If you aren’t going to get Ron and Hermione for me, I’ll move on to the next window.”

“Well, that’s where they are, but if you ever want to stop by and visit me again, you are MORE than welcome.”

Melody snapped the window shut in his face and tapped on the window next door. It opened a little, but it wasn’t Ron or Hermione. Looking down at her were two green eyes she had hoped never to encounter again.


According to her plan, Melody arrived at the party with Ron and Hermione, but the details of how were awkward and unimportant. As they past through the hanging sheers circling the area, Melody was immediately met by Marcel’s arms. He picked her up and whirled her in the air in a most childish manner.

As he placed her on the ground, Melody grabbed his ear and dragged it near her mouth.

“Are you drunk?!”

Marcel only laughed and looked at her. She helplessly looked back at Hermione and Ron. Once hoping to introduce her new respectable boyfriend, Melody tried to force him into the group of dancing students. Unfortunately it was too late as she found two foreign eyes watching her relations with Marcel. She had no choice but to introduce her Mr. Right at the utmost wrong time.

“You kind of caught him at a bad time, but this is Marcel.”

They looked at the figure leaning heavily on Melody in shock.

“This is Marcel?” Hermione asked as politely as possible.

Melody looked at the wreck beside her before nodding.

“Isn’t he great,” Ron said sarcastically.

Hermione just stood there shaking her head, “Oh, Melody.”

They said nothing more. They just turned and left the party.

Melody was terribly upset, for she pushed Marcel away and onto the ground. He sat for awhile, but when he was reoriented, he grabbed Melody violently by the arm.

“What was that for!?!”

Furious, Melody snapped her wrist from his hand.

“You blew it! Your one chance to make a first impression with my friends, and you ruined it!”

Quite under, Marcel didn’t understand what she said and just brushed it aside and disappeared into the party.

Almost immediately, Melody found where Marcel got his temptress and took a bottle herself, and then another. It seemed she was up to her old ways in a totally new mess.

She was slurred by the time Brigitte found her dancing in the crowd of people. Melody ignored her and continued to sway stupidly to the music until she heard a strong voice ring out from behind Brigitte.

“Melody, get over here right now!”

Harry had grabbed her arm, but ended up making her stumble. Just before she hit the ground, Harry caught her and gathered her in his arms like a delicate dress. When he found a tree stump, he set her down and let her rest her head on his shoulder.

“What are you doing?” he whispered.

“You mean what ‘as she been doing,” Brigitte said nastily.

This reminded Melody of where she was and who was playing her pillow, for she suddenly drew back. She sloshing eyes met Brigitte’s cold pair.

“Who are you again?” Harry asked her.

“I’m Brigitte. You asked me where your friends were, so I told you they were probably ‘ere with Melody. Well…actually, that isn’t all I ‘ave to tell you.”

Melody looked from Harry to Brigitte frantically hoping for a miracle to change the subject.

“Do you see that guy over there?” Brigitte said, pointing to Marcel, who was dancing like a fool, “Melody and ‘im were involved when you were still in the picture for ‘er.”

Harry looked at Brigitte in honest disbelief and looked at Melody as if he was about to laugh, but Melody gave away any secret with the tears falling down her cheeks.

“Melody?” Harry asked almost silently, “It’s true?”

A sob finally escaped Melody as she buried her face in Harry’s shoulder, but he jerked it away and stood.

“You’re a hypocrite. He can have you.”

The words took Melody’s breath away and for the rest of the night, she sat in silence until Marcus gathered Melody into his arms and returned her safe but hurt to her suite.
Major Clippings by Sparkling Star
Saturday morning, Melody woke to a marching band in her head. The drum pounded even in the solitude of her room. The previous night was blurred, but Melody could clearly recall the disgrace in Harry’s eyes as he let her fall for the first time. As the image reoccurred in her mind, she took one of her silk throw pillows and didn’t throw, but hurled it into the sitting room.

Melody was just stepping out of bed when a strange face flew through the door. Celeste’s face was a mix of concern and chaos as she demanded Melody’s attention.

“I think you better come with me, Melody,” she said reaching out a hand.

“What?” Melody said, not at all sure how to respond.

Losing patience, Celeste grabbed Melody’s arm and they were gone from the room. They reappeared outside. Melody was lost until she heard Hermione’s pleading with Harry behind her.

Melody spun around to find Marcel looking down upon Harry’s wand at his neck.

“What are you intentions?” Harry snarled.

It was a slow reaction, but Melody rushed over and wrapped her hand around Harry’s wand.

The three formed that triangle around the wand for a long time before Harry let up.

“What do you see in this mess?” Harry asked sharply.

“Well, what do you see in that blow-up doll?” Melody replied looking over his shoulder at Sarah, “Furthermore, why should you care?”

That was exactly the wrong thing to say, for Harry looked as if he was about to attack Melody.

“Just go,” Melody said before turning to Marcel.

She couldn’t help but laugh at the terror remaining on his face. She turned expecting to share the joke with Ron and Hermione, but they were away with Harry and Sarah. From a distance, the four walking away reminded Melody of a happier time where the long, brown braids of Sarah would have been her own golden locks.

In seconds, she was awake to her loss. She stood silent for a long time before she fell to her knees and collapsed on the ground. She felt the world crumble around her, and for a moment, she escaped into a daze. It wasn’t until she felt the warmth of an arm around her that she was revived.

Celeste was kneeling beside her pulling the hair from her tear-stained face. Melody tried to find the right words for the moment, but she was hushed as Marcel sat down on her other side.

Celeste rigidly acknowledges him before leaving them alone.
Sitting here, he just let her cry on his shoulder. He calmed her by stroking her hair as half an hour passed.

When Melody was at last silent, he sat her up on her own and said, “I’m sorry.”

“For what?” Melody replied meekly.

He looked past her to the river beyond before explaining, “I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you last night. I was just so…stressed out about ‘im being ‘ere that I ‘ad to get my mind off it. I’m sorry.”

Melody looked at his dream-like face before wrapping her arms around his neck and embraced him.

“You shouldn’t be threatened by him. It’s not worth it.”

As they laughed, Marcel rose and helped Melody to her feet. He slid his arm around the back of her waist and together, they returned to the dorm lounge.



Within the hour, they went with their little slips of paper to enter their names in the goblet.

The foyer was covered in the blue hue of the goblet, but Melody instantly recognized the small busload from Hogwarts rallying around some one. It took less than one guess to know who.

Harry was pumping the small crowd for flattery as he kept sarcastically threatening to not enter.

Melody decided to make her presence known so with a wave of her hand, the door slammed and a paper crane nailed Harry in the back of the head.

She stepped out from her group and met Harry on the other side of the goblet. Though it was slightly useless, Melody pulled her wand from her jacket and pressed its point against Harry’s chest.

“You really need to watch your back. May I talk to you in private, or does your fan club have rules against that?”

“What do you want?” Harry asked as he had no choice but to move with the wand pressing into his chest.

“Don’t ever meddle with my affairs again,” Melody said, lowering her wand, “You didn’t have the right to attack people when we were together and you sure as Hell don’t have the right now.”

“Trust me! After this morning, I doubt it will ever happen again.”

“No,” Melody replied quietly.

“’No’ what?”

“I won’t trust you.”

With that, Melody turned her back on him and let her slip of paper float into the goblet. Marcel did the same as Melody prepared to move on to the library. Melody felt twenty foreign eyes on her as she began to climb the stairs. She glanced over her shoulder and even Seamus was giving her a foreboding stare. The only kind eyes belonged to Neville and even those had grown somehow colder.

“Oh, Melody!” Harry called from below, “I thought you might like to see this.”

Soaring through the air up to her was a small newspaper clipping. Melody’s heart truly broke as is landed in her hand, for it bore a familiar face.

CHANCELLE PLEADS INNOCENT “ IMPERIO CURSE
Mr. Richard Chancelle, former Ministry French correspondent, who was convicted of doing the Dark Lords bidding this past spring is now screaming his innocents. A very likely story, he is blaming the Imperio Curse for his demise…

The story went on but Melody could no longer read it through watery eyes. She froze to make an awful comment to Harry about the fact that she still had a father, but she refused and followed Marcel’s arm leading her up the stairs.

“He’s worse than Malfoy,” Melody said as they escaped into the library.
A True Champion by Sparkling Star
The tension was beyond evident in the air of the dining hall the following night. All the students had gathered hours earlier, but they were just now bringing the goblet up to the head table. Melody had placed herself perfecting at the Patron table to get a wonderful view of the entire room except for the corner behind the staff. Marcel sat beside her tapping her knee with an off rhythm. His calmness almost upset Melody.

Dumbledore, Madame Maxime and Brunckston formed a line beside the goblet. Madame Maxime stepped forward and with a flourish of her hand, the goblet burst into red flame. In seconds, she has a small bit of parchment in her palm.

“Dobri Pasternva “ Durmstrang!” Maxime sang over the light buzz.
A strongly built boy rose from a table very near Melody’s own. He must have been the Durmstrang favorite, for with him rose the entire delegation in boisterous approval. He shook the administrator’s waiting hands and then disappeared behind a side curtain pointed out to him.

There was a pause that hung in the air for what seemed like a lifetime before the flames took on their ruby hue once more. Melody felt her grip on Marcel’s hand tighten to the point of assault as the scrap of paper shot up high in the air and gracefully took it’s time falling back to Earth. It was almost as if the paper was showing off or teasing the audience, but that could simply have been Melody’s mind jousting her about.

Finally, the paper landed in Madame Maxime’s hand and she began to unfold it. Melody noticed a hint of a chuckle in Maxime’s face as she read the name to herself. Just to torture Melody more it seemed, Maxime then passed it to Dumbledore who joined her in the joking expression. Melody was about to grab her wand and magic it out of them when Madame Maxime rose her hand in the air to introduce the second champion.

“’arry Potter!” her voice rang through the hall.

Melody felt every muscle in her body go rigid as she watched the Hogwarts delegation march Harry up to the front of the hall. They were singing some awful song as they did so, but the room had gone silent for Melody.

Harry bowed modestly to the headmasters and pranced off to the side room. His remaining followers then skipped back to their seats feeling as if they truly accomplished something there.

Again, Melody’s hand tightened on Marcel’s, for he took an opportunity to take a drink of water and escape her wrath. The goblet was red for the third, and hopefully, final time. This last piece of paper spiraled into the air and hovered around Madam Maxime’s head for a moment. Upon being grabbed, it unfolded itself. As Madame Maxime read this name to herself, her expression became none descript.

“And from right ‘ere at Beauxbaton…Madamoiselle Melody Chancelle!” Maxime said as a huge grin poured out onto her face.

The weight on Melody’s shoulders instantly turned into the drive that pushed her from her seat and right up to the school leaders. She thanked each one before slipping through the curtain.

The room she entered was not new to her. It was merely a side lounge for any visitors that would dine at Beauxbaton. In the center of the room, four chairs sat positioned in a circle around a glass topped coffee table. Sources of mild entertainment bordered the rug at the walls and Melody found Harry admiring a small model of a Quidditch pitch and team.

“So, we meet again,” Melody snapped at him from across the room.

He spun around to meet her eyes. As his fell upon hers they grew suddenly ice cold as he took a step in her direction.

“You really should remember where the restroom is, Melody. I mean this is your school and you can’t possibly have meant to come in here.”

“Wrong,” Melody began, “I am the Beauxbaton champion.”

Harry’s face fell as quickly as he had just spun on his heels.

“You know,” he began after a small fit, “I’m not going to make this easy for you.”

Melody laughed, “I have a feeling you will, but it won’t be intentional.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” he replied through clenched teeth.

But before Melody could respond, they were joined by the administrators and some woman.

“Congratulations,” Dumbledore began, “You’re a fine lot to be chosen. Now, before we go any further, let me introduce Ms. Williams, the Ministry’s head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation.”

Ms. Williams stepped forward and gave a little bow.

“Like Professor Dumbledore said, I am Ms. Williams. I am relatively new to my position at the department, but I’m no fool. This year, the Tri-Wizard will go off flawlessly or my name isn’t Ms. Williams, and I have already assured you that it is. What I need from you three is a promise to be informed if any strange occurrences arise such as individuals attempting to…hmm…encourage your victory or odd events during the challenges. Is that clear?”

The three champions nodded in unison in hopes of escaping the intimidating woman’s presence.

“Fabulous!” Ms. Williams called as she placed herself amid the students and covered them in her arms, “This is going to be so much fun!”

Melody was thrown aback by the final change in personality, but just smiled at the mildly disturbed lady. At this point she had been pulled particularly close to Harry and she would do anything to free herself.

“Well, you are all free to join zee ozzers in the ‘all for dinner now,” Maxime began, “but be certain to be ‘ere at seven on Zursday night. Zat is when your wands will be weighed and zee press will arrive.”

At this comment Harry rose his hand only to be answered by Dumbledore without asking.

“No, Mr. Potter, Rita Skeeter is still not instated at the Daily Prophet or the Nouvelles du Sorcier.”

Harry laughed as he and Dumbledore exited the room together. Brunckston grabbed Dobri’s arm and they too were soon gone. Much more gently, Madame Maxime draped her arm on Melody’s shoulder and walked her out to the dining hall.

“You deserve this, Melody,” she said in the second before they parted.
Forgiveness by Sparkling Star
Later that week, Melody was summoned to the traditional weighing of the wands. She systematically handed over her wand and waited for any questioning before she escaped the room. As she jogged down the hallway as to make it to the library, she heard a pestering voice calling her from behind.

“Where are you off in such a hurry? Not to see that low life of a boyfriend, I hope,” Harry spat from a ways down the hallway.

Melody broke her stride for a second to reverse it in his direction as she replied, “You don’t have the right to ridicule my choices. We both made the same one!”

“You mean the same one that you laid into me for?”

Melody went silent as he broke her apart with his eyes.

“I was…I don’t know…I was...”

“A hypocrite,” Harry finished as he turned down a side hallways and disappeared.

Melody stood alone in the hallway for a long time before she resumed her walk to the library. She entered the silent room in a haze, but was stirred by Marcel grabbing her by the arm and sweeping her behind a bookshelf.

At first Melody expected something extremely inappropriate for a library, but was pleasantly surprised to see him, instead, pacing, nervous with excitement.

“Melody, I have wonderful news!” he said, shaking with anticipation.

“Well?!”

“Marcus and I were in Mr. Charnette’s office, and as we were attempting to sneak out, we overheard Headmistress Maxime talking with some man about the first task,” he said as he bounced from foot to foot.

Melody paused for a moment as she contemplated allowing him to tell her. It would certainly be cheating, but when hadn’t cheating been involved with the Tri-Wizard.

Before she could win the moral battle with herself, Marcel ruined it by telling her what he had heard.

“It’s like an obvious scavenger hunt thing. The man said something about ten identical boxes in a circle, one holding the clue and the others having different beasts to overcome.”

He stood there for a moment looking very pleased with himself until he noticed the lack of excitement in his companion’s face.

“First of all,” Melody began, “I wish you hadn’t told me that, because now I feel as if I am cheating. However, it can’t be correct, because they wouldn’t make the task that easy.”

“Easy?” Marcel asked timdly.

“It’s a simple Summoning Charm,” Melody said, beginning to walk away.

“No,” Marcel retaliated, “Summoning Charms never work on the clues. The task must be set up so that the only way to get the clue is trial and error.”

Melody nodded before taking a step away. She was near the end of the bookshelf when she returned to Marcel’s side. He looked at her a little deflated, but she placed her hand on the back of his neck and pulled him in for a tender kiss.

“Thank you,” she said before lacing her hand in his.


After Melody and Marcel had finished working on their homework, they parted and Melody returned to her suite. As she entered her room, she was suddenly bombarded by the feathers of Sparx. The owl was fluttering around her head furiously. Melody had to enchant the owl to stay still before she could get the letter off.

When she had finally removed it, she tossed it on her desk before she summoned a small packet of owl food and laid it in a dish for Sparx. As Sparx nibbled at the food, Melody retrieved the letter from the desk and opened it.

The instant she read the first sentence, her face went still.


My Dear Melody

It will be hard to believe, but it is your father. I’ve been a world away from you, so it must be shocking to hear from me. What I am writing to tell you is very important, so important that I can’t find the words to tell your mother. I know my incarceration has changed her, but Melody that is why you must listen to me. I am innocent. I would never have put my only daughter in danger like that. Please believe me when I tell you I was under Voldemort’s Imperius Curse.
Melody, you’re my only hope to get out of this place. I don’t know how much longer I can hold on to my sanity, Dear. I’m begging you to find a way to free me and prove me innocent. In here they take every word I say as the mumblings of a mad man. I am helpless without you.
I hope you aren’t embarrassed by me. I’m sure that article didn’t help, but Melody, I do love you. I know that you can find it in your heart to believe me, and now, I must plead with you to do so. Please take pity on your father, for at the moment, I would do anything to be with you and your mother again. Please, Melody, save me.

With Every Ounce of My Love,
Your Father…



Melody slowly fell apart as she re-read the letter. These were the words of her father, not the man that had used his own daughter to get to Harry. Without a doubt, her father was innocent, and Melody nearly sprang to her feet that moment to begin that task of setting him free.


The next day at breakfast, Melody immediately sought out Dumbledore. He was sitting at the head table chatting with his companions when Melody frantically pounced before him and leaned over the table to grab his attention.

“Headmaster, we need to talk as soon as possible. When can I see you in private?” she hissed.

Dumbledore, slightly taken aback, replied, “What is it that makes you so irritable, Ms. Chancelle?”

“I’ll tell you in private. When can you meet with me?”

Dumbledore looked into her eyes for a long time before answering, “Come to the train whenever you have a break from classes today. I intend to be in my temporary office all day.”

Melody thanked him and disappeared into the foyer.
Meetings of Reconciliation by Sparkling Star
Immediately after Arithmancy, Melody made her way down to the train. She had thought about her approach for most of the class period, and now she was on her way to get Dumbledore’s support for her father’s innocence.

As she rounded the end of the train as to climb on board, she was nearly tripped over by Ron. He stood for a moment before side stepping her and heading towards the academy.

“Ron!” Melody called after him.

He turned and looking over his shoulder slightly before walking back toward her. He fidgeted with his fingers as she took a step closer to him.

“Ron…I know that you are loyal to Harry, and that is honorable, but please don’t feed into only half the story. I’m not trying to pit you against Harry. I just want you to know that he did the same to me as I to him. I guess I just didn’t want you to look down upon me.”

He looked her over for a moment before answering, “If you didn’t want me to look down upon you…you should have worn high heels.”

Melody’s face burst into joy as she jumped to wrap her arms around his neck. The smile on his face was inviting for a girl cast out by loyalty.

Melody stepped away from the hug lightly and began to mount the steps onto the train when she was suddenly struck with a thought. Quickly, she jumped from the train steps and called after Ron.

“Ron…tell Harry…Don’t tell him I was the one that told you, but the first task is…well there are ten boxes or something and in each is another beast. The champion’s goal is to find the correct box that includes the clue. The challenge is that the only way to do so is trial and error. Tell him that, but say you heard it from Hagrid or something. Just don’t say it came from me.”

Ron smiled and turned to head toward the castle.


Dumbledore’s temporary office was remarkably similar to the other. Small trinkets danced about the shelves and in the corner stood the familiar cabinets. The headmaster had hushed her as she entered, for Fawkes was gently sleeping on his bar, so Melody silently waited until she had Dumbledore’s full attention.

He continued to pace the room for a moment before he finally settled in his chair and gazed at Melody.

“Okay, Ms. Chancelle. Tell me what has gotten you more riled that a bowl of licorice snaps.”

Melody lost her silence the instant she was allowed, “Headmaster, my father is innocent!”

Fawkes shot up from his rest as she jumped from her chair in excitement and then resettled across the room on top of a cabinet.

Calmly, Dumbledore tapped a trinket with a small star that sent it into motion, circling a wand.

Growing frustrated, Melody nearly screamed, “Are you listening to me? My father is innocent. We need to get him out of Azkaban!”

“How do you know?” Dumbledore said after a long pause.

“He wrote me a letter. It was honest and desperate, and I know it came from my father - not the man from the woods, but my father. He says he was under the Imperius Curse.”

Dumbledore showed little emotion as he rose from his desk and crossed the room to a large bookcase. He looked as if he was pondering which book to take to bed, but that was the furthest thing from his mind as he turned and faced Melody.

“Please, Professor,” she pleaded, “My father needs your help. I need your help.”

“What is it you have planned?” Dumbledore asked mildly.

Looking about the room, Melody answered, “That is why I came to you. I don’t even know where to begin.”

Dumbledore nodded and returned to his seat.

“This is what we’ll do. First things first, I have to be certain he is genuine. Therefore, after the first task, I will go visit him at Azkaban. I’ll get a little perspective on his standing there and then we’ll talk again. Do you agree these are the right steps?”

Melody nodded enthusiastically.

“I knew I could count on you, Professor.”

Dumbledore winked at her and as she was about to leave, the door burst open and in walked Harry. He must not have seen Melody as she had stepped to the side on her way out, for he was speaking from the instant he arrived.

“Professor, I don’t know what to do anymore. First of all, I checked up on the Melody situation and that is a dead end. Sorry, Professor, that is over. But now I need a book on magical beasts! Do you have one along?”

Melody stepped forward the instant she heard her name. As she did, Harry must have sense someone else in the room, for he turned so they were face to face.

“What about the Melody situation?” she asked sharply.

He was about to retort with a comeback, but Dumbledore cut in and took control.

“Melody, please sit,” he said calmly pointing to the chair before his desk, “Now…I asked Harry to see what his standing with you was, for I must remind you once more how imperative it is that we all stick together at the moment.”

The words were plain, but the way Dumbledore looked from Harry to Melody told them there was far more to this than they could see.

“Basically, you want us back together,” Melody replied.

“Blimey, I hope not,” Harry said after a short pause.

“Merlin’s beard, Harry! That is no way to speak to a young lady,” Dumbledore scolded.

“It’s fine, Professor,” Melody chimed in, “It just shows you how distant that idea really is. There is no way that Harry and I will reconcile any time soon. Please remember that next time you have him check on the Melody situation. For now, I have to get to class. I’m already late.”

With that, she rose from her seat and began to exit the room.

“Melody, you must be patient!” Dumbledore called from his desk, “Now for you, Mr. Potter. We must work on your social skills when it comes to Ms. Chancelle. First of all”“

Melody drowned the voice out with a door slam, for at the moment, getting back with Harry was the least of her concerns.
Victory by Sparkling Star
The morning of the first task danced in the air as Melody rose in the final hours of darkness. The night before has been less than peaceful as she tossed in her sleep with concerns of her father and the looming challenge.

She had spent the last two nights looking through the library text at the variations of beasts that might come up in the task. She had been disheartened to know that a simple stunning charm wouldn’t suffice for many beasts, beasts Melody was certain would come up.

In the hours before breakfast would begin, she took to the library and refreshed different spells. About an hour passed before sunlight began to peak into the tall windows of the room. As the beams hit the desk, she closed the books lying open around her and gathered her things.

As she forced a small amount of breakfast down, she was joined by Marcel.

“Scared?” he asked from over his glass.

However concerned he was about Melody’s state, he seemed more frightened than her as his eyes were solid circles. Examining him, Melody noticed the bags under his eyes and the strange twitch vibrating his leg.

“Marcel?” she began, “Did you sleep?”

With a silly smirk on his face, he replied, “Couldn’t. I was too worried about today, and when I had given up on sleeping I took to eating the stash of candy under my bed.”

Melody grazed his cheek endearingly with her hand before gathering her bag and standing.

“You shouldn’t worry. I’ll be fine. Don’t you think I can handle it?”

Marcel’s shoulders relaxed slightly as he jokingly said, “It wasn’t you I was worried about…it was those poor animals.”


Noon arrived and Melody made her way out to the field outside the gamekeeper’s house. Temporary stands had been put up for the numerous spectators already filling them.

Quickly reviewing all her knowledge of defensive spells in her mind, she nearly ran into Ron and Hermione as they past her with a large group of Hogwarts students.

A disgusting hush went over the group as they eyed Melody indiscreetly. They continued on their way whispering to one another, but Ron and Hermione looked back from the hateful group and offered her a smile and two thumbs up.

Entering the champion’s tent, Melody immediately jumped into the usual tone with Harry.

“So I see you have turned the entire Hogwarts delegation against me. How kind of you.”

She said this as she changed from her school uniform to her Quidditch practice gear behind a solid navy screen.

“Truth hurts, doesn’t it?” was all that Harry said before the three champions exited the tent and met in the center of the field to cheers that shook the inner part of Melody’s ears.

After being individually introduced, Ms. Williams rose from her seat beside Dumbledore and gave the champions their predetermined order before going into the description of the task.

It was just as Marcel had overheard. There were ten identical white boxes (that appeared upon being mentioned) that each contained either the clue or one of nine deadly magical beasts. It was the champion’s task to find the box holding the clue by guessing until the right box had been selected. If one were to open a case with a beast, it would be their job to subdue the beast back into its case before moving on to another guess.

Having been selected to go first, Melody stepped forward into the exact center of the ring of white boxes. As the other champions left, Melody felt Harry’s eyes hot on her neck and attempted to shake it off by looking for Marcel in the crowd.

Seeking him didn’t take long, for he sat obnoxiously waving a sign that magically sang her name over and over with increasing volume.

When the crowd had been hushed by a single notice shot into the air from Dumbledore’s wand, Melody began.

Her first approach was to make the white cases transparent in hopes of seeing the clue. She attempted the complex spell on the box straight in front of her, but nothing happened.

Realizing this wasn’t going to work, she moved into her next approach “ picking at random until she could find the clue and hoping for the best.

Strangely enough, she was relieved to see the eight legs of an enormous spider creep out from the first box she opened. A spider she could handle. She arrogantly lifted her wand to perform a simple stunning charm when she heard screams from the crowd behind her and turned to see another spider twice the first’s size approaching from behind another on of the boxes.

“Biarachnia!” shouted the loud speaker, “Horrifically lethal spiders that travel in pairs as to capture prey better.”

Thinking quickly, Melody used a very shaky levitation spell on herself and rose from the ground about fifteen feet just as the arachnids’ venomous teeth stabbed the ground that previously supported her feet. From there she chanted the common rope spell that bound the spiders to each other. She repeatedly performed the spell until nothing showed of the spiders aside from the occasional leg sticking out between the ropes. Landing gently on the ground, she shrunk the beasts and levitated them back into the white case she had chosen.

The crowd cheered once more as she moved on to her next case. She immediately recognized the next beast from its picture in Beast That Make Camping Not So Fun. It was Tigran, a mix between a tiger and man that had incredibly heightened senses as well as a horrifying disposition.

The beast paced on its hind legs about a 100 yards from Melody before it suddenly charged the center where Melody stood.

Remembering the advice of the book, Melody pointed her wand in the beast’s direction and prayed that her spell worked. In seconds, spouting from her wand was the shrillest noise imaginable that caused the crowd to cringe and shrug down in their seats.

For basic human hearing, the noise was annoying, but for the heightened hearing of the Tigran, it was too much. The beast froze midair and landed ferociously trying to place its paws over its ears, but it was futile. In the Tigran’s weakness, Melody took her chance to attack it too with the same rope spell that bound it up before she placed it in its case.

Again the crowd cheered despite their ringing ears. Hearing the time clock ticking in her ear, Melody jumped toward her next choice. Her heart pounding as she raised her wand to open the box, she nearly fainted from relief as a golden glow shone from the top and the crowd cheered. Rising from the box was a stream of gold strands surrounding a large, gold star. Gracefully, it wafted gently to the ground before her where she gathered it in her arms before being dismissed by the judges.

She nearly ran out of the stadium as she clutched the clue close to her heart. It wasn’t until she heard the loud speaker call Harry that she found her way back into the ring.


Harry had experienced far more trouble guessing and it had taken him twice as long to come across the clue. Dobri had landed somewhere between the two. Melody was therefore in first place.

Melody now sat surrounded by her classmates in the lobby of her dormitory. For an hour she entertained admirers that complimented her talent, but as she stood to go up to her suite, she was seized by Harry.

“How did you finish so quickly?!” he asked as his grip tightened on her arm.

“Talent,” she replied as she fiercely ripped herself from his grasp and disappeared up the spiral staircase.
A Chain of Painful Memories by Sparkling Star
Melody and Marcel celebrated her victory in his preferred manner. For an hour, Melody allowed it as he covered her in affection, but her patience with this behavior had worn thin.

“Marcel!” Melody said throwing Marcel off of her, “That’s enough.”

Refusing to accept Melody’s objection, Marcel again wrapped an arm around Melody’s waist.

“Come on, Mel. Don’t you think we should celebrate?” Marcel said smoothly as he pressed his body against hers and his hands found the underside of her shirt.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” Melody burst, pushing him away.

He settled on the other end of the couch with a mix of confusion and anger on his face.

“Mel, we’ve been together for quite some time now. Don’t you think we could-“

“No!” Melody snapped rising from the couch, “Get out!”

Marcel rose from the couch, but instead of moving toward the stairs, he crossed to Melody.

“Don’t be mad. I’m not going to force you to do anything,” he said, grabbing Melody’s hand.

The instant their hands touched, Melody pulled her hand away as if his repulsed her.

“Don’t be mad?!” she howled, “When did I even hint I wanted to have sex?”

“You didn’t-“ Marcel said before Melody cut him off.

“No! I didn’t. You need to go.”

Marcel looked as if he would say something, but turned and disappeared down the stairs.

Melody stood by the sofa for a moment longer before moving to her closet. In an instant fury, she grabbed the handle of her trunk and thrust it out of the way. She burrowed through the piles of shoes as she searched for a sweet reminder of the last time she was truly happy.

As she picked up a black stiletto, she saw the locket’s gold chain wrapped around the heel and caught it as it fell to the floor.

She felt the chain mingle with her fingers as she tightened her fingers around it. Bringing her fist to her heart, she used her other hand to pull a small pile of letters from the second trunk.

Setting both memories before her, her eyes opened and she looked at what remained of her relationship with Harry. Without the strength to walk away, she sat there and cried.

It hadn’t ended because either of them was unfaithful. It ended, because Melody had changed into an increasingly self-centered girl. A bitter summer had created the mess that sat deflated on the floor in the closet and Harry had seen her change gradually as the letters moved between them. He had made the wise move to get out while he could make a legitimate excuse.

All these realizations tore Melody apart as she felt her world fading. Nothing she had any longer meant anything. Nothing she did was meaningful. She had become what her classmates had always seen“ a beautifully rich girl.

The only things that gave her depth were gone now. She had lost her father, her mother, Anna, Celeste and Harry all too easily, but now as she deteriorated in her closet the effects sunk deep within her bones and she was finally seeing herself for the selfish monster she had become.


Sitting in her seat in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Melody traced the golden chain with her thumb. To her right sat Marcel, fast asleep, and to her left Harry had slipped a Quidditch magazine inside his textbook.

As much as she wanted to hate Harry as Sarah took away his magazine, Melody’s breath still tightened in her chest. Seeing him with Sarah only reminded her of the person she used to be and the person Harry wanted.

Melody didn’t realize she was staring at the hand Sarah had seized until she felt Harry’s eyes on her. Embarassed, she quickly returned her attention to Professor Jaquensi.

The topic was something called Aphrotans. It held Melody’s attention, for she had never heard of anything quite like it. The basis of the spell was a strength transfer, but it became far more intricate with the spell’s prerequisites. Strangely enough, a loving bond had to be present to carry out the transfer - the stronger the bond, the more complete and safe the transfer.

As Professor Jaquensi summed up the lesson and gave the class their assignment, Melody’s grasp on the locket tightened.


For a week Melody avoided Marcel outside of classes. She knew that they would eventually have to talk about the incident, but at the moment, Melody didn’t even want to look at her biggest mistake.

Her successful attempts at side-stepping him were brought to and end as he finally cornered her on her way to Defense Against the Dark Arts a week later.

“You can’t avoid me forever,” he laughed as he rung one of his hands with hers, “Eventually, you will be looking for your escort for the ball. I would hope it was still me.”

Melody brushed him off with a nod and then claimed she couldn’t be late for class if she wanted to be able to get a pass to go buy her ball dress after school.

As she crossed the yard to the building that held Professor Jaquensi’s classroom, she couldn’t help but feel bad for Marcel. At this point he was nothing to her. There was nothing left of them.

No matter how much she would have liked to, she couldn’t break him off now. She would have to continue the charade until after the dance and then, maybe she would have to the courage to tell Marcel what was really going on.

Where would that leave her? She would be exactly what she was now without the little bit of comfort that Marcel still offered. As much as she liked to pretend she had become independent without Harry, she knew that without anyone, she would fall apart.

All that remained was the choice between being honest with Marcel and standing alone or stringing him along just to hold on to the last strands of comfort Melody could attain in her crumbling life.
Bitter and Cold by Sparkling Star
The night’s excitement destroyed many decent conversations as Melody walked the halls of Beauxbatons. Little third year girls were frantically searching for some poor sap of a fourth year boy to take them to the ball while others had simply given up and had taken to moping. Even worse were the eligible girls that were fighting them for the remaining available boys.

The entire display sickened Melody as she unenthusiastically made her way up to her room to get ready. The entire event seemed utterly tedious at this point. Another opportunity for the administration to parade her in front of her classmates that at one time, years ago, she would have enjoyed, now had no appeal.

Her ball gown was draped over her satin sheets. It was far too beautiful to adorn such a melancholy girl, for the golden fabric’s glitter would only be dulled by Melody’s perpetually sad face.

As she stepped from her bedroom, zipping up the back of the dress, she was astonished to see Hermione turning to go back down the stairs.

“Hermione?” Melody asked as Hermione almost successful escaped.

“Oh, hello, Melody,” Hermione said looking a little distressed, “You look nice.”

“Thank you…but why are you running away?”

Hermione looked at the stairs and then back at Melody.

“Oh, I…didn’t think you…nothing.”

Melody stood for a moment trying to think of what Hermione could possibly be afraid to tell her, but instead moved to the mirror against the wall.

“Well, now you’re here so you might as well come in and stay a bit.”

Hermione gave a sheepish smile before gently sitting down on the couch facing Melody. Her purple gown floated around her feet as she glanced about the room.

“Excited for the dance?” Melody asked as she magically curled her hair.

“Yes,” Hermione replied mildly, “You?”

“Not at all.”

“You’re not even a little excited?” Hermione asked as Melody opened the door to her closet to pull out a pair of heels.

Melody shook her head as she took a seat across from Hermione to put her shoes on.

“You have to be a little excited. Those little third years would die to fill your shoes for the night,” Hermione laughed.

Resting her foot back on the floor, Melody replied with “They’ll get their chance.”

“How are you so sure they’ll have to tournament again?”

“They did it after a kid was murdered by Voldemort. They’ll do it again!” Melody paused, “Anything to make the public comfortable as they parade three teenagers in front of death. Of course they’ll do it again.”

“Do you feel like you’re being paraded in front of death?” Hermione asked as she leaned toward Melody.

“No,” Melody smiled, “But everyone else does for me.”

Melody again rose from the couch and crossed to the antique jewelry box resting on her dresser. When she had put all her jewelry on, she returned to the sitting room.

“It’s never going to be the same again, is it?” she asked as Hermione rose from the couch.

“What do you mean?” Hermione asked light heartedly.

“Hermione, we both know that this is uncomfortable. Don’t feel like you have to stay for my sake.”

Hermione looked into Melody’s lonely eyes for a second before she started to make her way to the staircase. Another companion was about to walk out of Melody’s life thanks to her isolation.

“Hermione!” Melody called out just as Hermione’s silver heel about touched the first step.

Hermione turned and faced Melody as Melody stepped closer and grabbed her at the elbows.

“You do look lovely,” Melody said before letting her hand fall back to her sides, “I do wish I could be there for you…with every ounce left.”


Melody joined the usual suspects in the foyer as she waited for instructions. These so called friends were far more concerned with the height of their heels than the world outside these walls and Melody stood in silence as they admired her dress.

“That dress is absolutely perfect, Melody,” Babette said despite her brooding twin that stood yards away.

Marcel was at Melody’s back facing his friends. His presence made her back tense slightly as she felt the point of his elbow grace her own. He had just slipped a hand around her waist when the champions were instructed to line up.

The parade dragged out as Melody crossed the ballroom to reach the main dance floor. She robotically took her place facing Marcel to begin the first dance and played her role until the very second the first song ended at which time she escaped Marcel and found a comfortable spot at a table.

Gazing over the crowd, it didn’t take long for her to notice a small commotion in the corner of the room. Sarah’s arms were flaring as Harry stood opposite her with his arms crossed and his face emotionless. Melody watched the rage erupt on Sarah’s face as she saw Harry refusing to react to her anger. The argument ended quickly but not well, for Sarah stormed away in a violent march leaving Harry in the corner still acting heartless.

Her moment of devilish happiness lasted only a moment, for Marcel had found her and pulled her to her feet. Without consent, he led her to the dance floor and locked her in his arms in a forced slow dance. To appease him, Melody played along as if she was enjoying herself and continued to for the next hour.

After he had tired of dancing, Marcel guided Melody to a table far off to the side. He freed her of his company only long enough to get them something to drink, but even then his eyes never left her. The burn of his staring eyes burrowed into Melody’s back as she watched her happy classmates.

He returned to the table and placed a glass of punch before Melody. The instant his hands were free again he used them to seize Melody’s chair and pull it toward his own. Their chairs were so close at this point that Melody’s legs were caged on either side by his. The look of discomfort on Melody’s face spoke for her.

“I’m really not that repulsive,” Marcel snapped.

Letting her eyes fall on Harry across the room, Melody replied, “I never said that.”

Marcel turned his head to see what had grabbed her attention. Seeing her idol, he reached out and gathered Melody’s face in his hands.

“Melody! You are here with me and it’s about time you started acting like MY girlfriend.”

With that he confined Melody in a kiss and began to let his hands fall freely. Breaking free for a second, Melody howled at him to get off her, but he wouldn’t be swayed as easily this time. Finally, his jealousy of Harry had turned into a flat out anger that he took out on Melody.

Fighting with her hands to begin with, Melody slapped Marcel and tried to stomp on his feet. Trying to pull herself to her feet, Marcel rose with her only to make the spectacle more noticeable.

Growing intensely upset, Melody pulled her mind from the havoc Marcel was creating to concentrate enough to expel him from her. With one burst of blue light from her hands, Marcel was thrashed into the table beside theirs. As he tried to rise from the ground, he was met by a solid black wand directed at his face.

Harry chest heaved as he grabbed the front of Marcel’s robes and held his wand inches from his face.

“Keep your filthy hands off her! She obviously doesn’t want them on her,” he shouted as Melody saw the school heads rising to see the uproar.

Knowing Harry’s placement in the tournament had been very controversial and that many people wanted to remove his name, Melody saw this as their perfect chance to expel him from the contest. She pounced on his arm immediately as the dancing students parted to make way for the approaching adults. Pushing him aside, she looked down at Marcel.

“Keep your mouth shut,” she hissed before pushing Harry out into the hallway.

“You have to be more careful than that, Harry,” she said as he took a seat on a bench, “You know they’ll throw you out of this tournament for something like that. Are you trying to ruin everything?”

Just then they were joined by a very concerned Sarah, who upon arriving furiously turned on her heels and returned to the dance. Harry rose to follow her but stopped after seeing her disappear into the crowd of people around Marcel.

“Apparently I already have,” Harry said softly before turning back to Melody.

It killed Melody to see Harry go after Sarah like he had. Her heart sank even lower as his green eyes watched her own fill with tears.

“I hope you’re happy, Harry,” she said in the last seconds she could fight the tears.

As she felt her cheeks flush, she ran down the hall and out into the yard. Once in the cold snow, she kicked off her shoes and felt the burn of the cold snow on the soles of her feet as she escaped to her suite.
Hearing From a Hero by Sparkling Star
Melody violently dug her eyes into the palms of her hand as she mounted the final step to her suite. Each step from the dance had brought on a more passionate rage causing Melody to pace her sitting room in tremors. She wanted to shred the dress she had so painstakingly chosen and rip the perfectly curled hair from her own head.

Again, Melody’s emotions got the better of her and in an instant the windows overlooking the river shattered out onto the snow many stories below. As she watched the panes explode, her body went numb. She ran to the bare frames and fell to her knees. She frantically searched the ground below for anyone the glass may have hit.

All that stared back at her was the pristine snow and the frozen river, but Melody looked on in a state of after shock as she sunk further to the plush carpet.

Peeling her eyes from the night’s nothingness, she turned on her back to lean on two adjacent frames as the icy air spilled in all around her. Her shaking had ceased, but she was having trouble catching her breath as new tears broke through and started spilling into the mass of hair around her face.

The room dimmed around her and she sank further to the ground to lie on her back. She could see the clear sky’s stars from the corner of her eye, but their luster was blurred by her pouring eyes.

As her mind continued to wander, she heard a step creak slightly. She shot up from her pit of pity with a zealous hope that Harry was climbing the stairs to check on her.

Instantly, she changed from her stoic state to a feverish pace as she magically fixed all the windows. She dried her tears and leaned against the fireplace.

Anticipating intense black hair, Melody was thrown aback to see Ron’s violent red instead. When he found Melody standing across the room, his face tensed and he gave her a sheepish smile.

The air Melody had forced to build up in her chest to counteract the heaviness she felt on her shoulders vanished and she immediately gripped the mantle to maintain her balance.

Seeing her struggle to stand, Ron crossed the room toward her, but she refused.

“No! I don’t need you.”

Ron took this as his cue to stand back, which he did, but the pity in his eyes was overwhelming.

“I hope you didn’t come here to throw me a pity party. I’m fine,” Melody said straightening up.

“Then why don’t you come back to the dance?” Ron said cleverly as he pretended to turn toward the stairs.

“I can’t go back to it,” Melody replied sitting in a nearby armchair, “I can’t go back to any of it.”

Watching Melody’s tough shell disintegrate, Ron sat at the sofa.

“What do you mean by ‘any of it’?” he asked leaning toward Melody.

Melody, whose eyes had been comfortably gazing at her hands, looked up to see Ron’s eyes voicing his concern for her. For a moment, their eyes were locked as Ron broke through Melody’s brick wall to find a cowering little girl.

Melody’s face fell into her hands as she freely cried in front of Ron.

“What have I done?” she howled between sobs.

Ron took this as her cry for comfort as he rested himself on the arm of her chair and let her cry into the leg of his dress robes.

“Marcel is fine. All you did was push him really,” he said pulling her hair from her face.

“It’s not him, Ron. I’ve lost Harry for good.”

“Come on, Mel.” Ron said after a small pause, “What makes you think that?”

Melody pulled herself from Ron and stood from the chair. Ron rose with her but didn’t follow as she crossed to the bookshelf.

“You should have seen him look at her tonight.” she asked as she wrapped her arms around her waist, “Tell me honestly, Ron. Does Harry love Sarah?”

Ron stiffened into a statue as Melody pleaded for an answer.

“I don’t know, Mel,” he said quietly.

The room was captured by a painful silence as the two friends stood alienated from each other. Melody could feel Ron’s eyes hot on her for a moment, but that melted as he reached into the inner pocket of his robes and stepped closer to Melody. When he had reached her, he pulled out a handheld mirror.

“All I know is that Harry has never been one to really think things through. That’s why you can’t give up on him too easily. Give him time. With all the mess surrounding him, he doesn’t think clearly anymore.”

Ron handed the mirror to Melody to reveal that it had been mended from the shattered state it had held after Melody regretfully ended it with Harry. Looking into it, she saw her own reflection for a second before she turned to a drawer behind her and pulled the mirrors partner from it.

“He spent hours with Dumbledore figuring out how to put the mirror back together while still maintaining its link with yours. He wouldn’t do that if he didn’t care,” Ron said retrieving the mirror from Melody’s hand and replacing it in his pocket.

Melody let her hand trace the decorative ridge of her own mirror for a second before setting it lightly on the desk behind her.

“If he cares, then why didn’t he come after me tonight? He’s always come after me, Ron.”

Ron nodded for a moment before motioning for Melody to follow him to the window. Below in the cold night, Harry was impatiently pacing at the doorway of the Bravour dormitory.

“What’s he doing?” Melody asked.

Slightly laughing, Ron replied, “Trying to find the right words to explain that mess with Marcel.”

“Good, because I would like a reason as well!” a voice said sharply behind Ron and Melody.

Spinning on her heels, Melody nearly shrieked to see Marcel rounding the couch violently. As his hand grasped Melody’s elbow, she felt the heat of tears behind her eyes.

The instant a tear fell from her eye, Marcel let go of her and turned his back to her.

“What was that, Melody?!” he shouted.

Ron looked as if he was about to say something, but Melody stopped him.

“I need to do this myself. You should go.”

Ron hesitated, but he followed orders and disappeared down the stairs.

“Well?!” Marcel barked.

“Marcel, I have been lying to you.” Melody began timidly, “No matter how well I pretended to sincerely like you, it was a lie.”

Marcel had calmed down quickly as he now refused to look Melody in the eye.

“I know,” he said simply.

“Then why did you put up with it?” Melody asked trying to look into his eyes.

“I wanted to believe you too much.”

Melody watched as Marcel slowly fell apart in front of her. No tears fell, but the excitement and intensity in his eyes had changed to sorrow and heaviness.

“I wanted to believe it too, to be honest,” Melody said stepping closer to him, “I didn’t want to admit how much I need…”

Melody trailed off as it killed her to say Harry’s name to Marcel’s face as she was so blatantly breaking his heart.

“How much you need Harry…” Marcel finished for her.

Melody fell silent again as Marcel maturely acknowledged Harry.

“I love him, Marcel. He is the only person I have ever really loved.”

The words burned on her tongue as she watched Marcel nod while shaking his head.

“I’m actually surprised you lasted as long as you did.” He said with a light chuckle, “The second I knew you were with him, I knew I didn’t stand a chance. No matter how much I changed to impress you, I’d never be Harry Potter. It was just a matter of time.”

Marcel replied to Melody’s silence by shrugging and turning to leave.

“I’m so sorry, Marcel,” Melody said before he could run away.

“Aren’t we all,” he said shortly.

In an instant, Marcel was gone and Melody was free to follow her heart once more, no matter where it may lead her.
Losing the Game by Sparkling Star
After a night of fitful sleep and endless visions, Melody rose from her bed. Her rest had been tortured with the anxiety today brought. Nearly every relationship with her peers had been transformed last night, and all of them had to be confronted. However, her disposition was sweet and happy as she danced her fingers along the clothing hanging in her closet.

It was Sunday with no classes, so the day was full of chances to seek out Harry and have a long overdue talk. The night before had shown Melody the truth about Sarah.

Sarah was for Harry what Marcel had been for Melody “ a pawn to be used against the other. After months of playing this vicious game in a stalemate, they had almost reached a tie.

Now Melody found herself anticipating the words she would share with Harry the instant she found him. For too long she had been denying her sincere affection for Harry, but now that she was reminded of his devotion to her, she was excited to set things right.

Once dressed, she made her way down to the dining hall. With each step along the way, she glanced almost frantically around her in hopes of catching Harry on his way to breakfast.

Instead, she was met by Marcel and a small crowd at the base of the steps to the main building. For a tense moment, Melody and Marcel stared at each other while the crowd looked on.

“Good morning,” Melody said to break the silence.

Marcel continued to look her in the eyes for a second longer before he looked over his shoulder at the curious faces. Again, Melody saw him transform in front of his friends as his eyes sharpened on her.

“Come on,” he said to the group, “Let’s not waste our time.”

With that he turned as sharply as his eyes had become and bounded up the steps to be followed by a staggering entourage of bodies glancing back at Melody. No matter what Marcel had tried to convince her he was decent in the past was erased from her mind as she watched him disappear behind the large doors.


After eating quickly to escape the escalading whispers, Melody made her way to the Hogwarts train. Her right hand was twisting around her left index finger as she searched for the right words.

As she reached the door closest to Harry’s compartment, she felt the excitement building within her. Each second she was a little closer to being complete.

She enthusiastically tapped on the door and waited for someone to let her in. Only a second passed before Neville popped into view. His expression pointed out that Melody had been a topic of much discussing in the last few hours. He tried furiously to hide it with false enthusiasm to see her.

“Melody!” he shouted slightly over his shoulder, “What are you doing here? Not that it’s a bad thing! It’s always nice-“

“Neville!” Melody stopped him, “I just need to talk to Harry. Is he here?”

Caught in a tough spot, Neville began to whimper a little while maintaining the same plastered smile. It wasn’t until Hermione relieved him of his post that he calmed down and retreated back into the train.

Stepping down from the train and closing the door behind her, Hermione blatantly walked away from the train in hopes that Melody would join her in a walk. When Melody didn’t move, Hermione settled in front of her.

“Don’t mind Neville. It makes him a little nervous that you sent Marcel flying across the ballroom last night. How is he, by the way?” Hermione asked, pretending to be concerned.

“I couldn’t care less how he is. He’s out of the picture for good.”

Hermione looked at her with unnecessary curiosity.

“Marcel was the biggest mistake of my life, and I’ve made a lot of mistakes.”

Hermione smiled, “I’m glad you came around, because I didn’t want to be the one to fill you in.”

The two friends laughed for a moment before a smooth silence fell over them.

“I’m sorry I’ve been such a jerk. You and Ron are great friends and I let this dumb spat with Harry get in the way of that. I haven’t been myself since this hole mess started and I think have taken it out on you two. I’m really sorry,” Melody spilled, looking at her feet.

Hermione took in her words for a moment.

“Ron will be happy to hear the real Melody is back. I assume Harry will be pleased too,” she said behind a smile.

Melody was suddenly reminded of her mission.

“Harry! Where is Harry?” she asked frantically.

Hermione was suddenly struck from her warm state as her eyes widened.

“Maybe you should find him later. He’s a bit…now’s not a good time.”

“Why where is he?”

“It’s not that. It’s who he is with,” Hermione replied with decreasing passion.

Melody instantly knew what she meant. Somewhere on these grounds, Harry and Sarah were having a moment “ a moment that could ruin Melody’s final chance.

Melody quickly excused herself from Hermione’s company and swung the door to the train open. To her right she heard distinctive laughter. She slid open the compartment door to find Dean and Seamus’ room with its owners present.

“Where is Harry?” she asked brashly.

After a few stutters, the boys informed her that Harry was down by the magical creature stables. Without a word, Melody disappeared with a spin. Reappearing outside the groundskeeper’s cabin, Melody peeked around its corner and saw the thing she feared was true.

Sarah was sitting slightly bent over upon the fence as Harry stood directly in front of her speaking into her ear. Melody couldn’t see either’s face, but their closeness spoke miles about reconciliation. She watched for a moment longer as Harry helped Sarah down from the fence and embraces her.

Melody couldn’t watch for another second, so she retreated into the woods bordering the grounds and came upon a familiar clearing that was at one time used for midnight meetings with Marcus in fifth year, but now it was her hiding place.

Once feeling safe, Melody was thrown back into the cruel game her and Harry had started, but this time, she was without a pawn and therefore, saw no way to move about the board.
Come Together by Sparkling Star
Melody avoided the Harry situation and everything else by pouring her energy into solving the clue for the next, approaching task. Caught up in her previous victory and the ball, she hadn’t even listened to the clue yet.

As she sat in a private study room adjacent the library, she let her fingers slide across the clue’s golden surface. The first trick would be opening it. She tried the basic opening and unlocking spells, but was unsuccessful. Her anger flared as she continued casting spells to open the thing. She was far too emotional for this at the moment which only made it worse when she noticed the small button on the top point of the star. Thoroughly embarrassed, she looked around to reassure herself no one had joined her. For once, she was grateful to be alone.

She pressed lightly on the button as to open it slowly to take in the full extent of the clue, but the instant the button was pressed the room erupted in flashing lights and cascading glitter. Voices that reminded Melody of trickling water filled the room. Over and over, they repeated the same words as Melody furiously tried to get it all down on paper.

Beyond the daylight
Into the stars
We rest awaiting
These friends of ours
That will come to try
And break the bars
Of ground enchainment
To steal rewards

But not so easy
It will be
For no one passes
Without a fee
Come unprepared
And you will see
The gifts we offer
Are never free

The instant she crossed the final ‘f’, she was startled by the click of the door handle. Expecting the rigid librarian, she waved her wand and quickly cleaned the mess left behind by the clue. She turned her back to the door as to return to deciphering the clue, but the instant the mystery voice rang she felt the familiar chills climb up her back.

“I’ve been working on it too,” Harry said mildly behind her.

Melody continued to gaze at her hand for a moment before she meekly slid in her chair to face him. He kept his distance standing in the threshold for a moment longer before he stepped a little closer to Melody.

The room felt suddenly smaller as Melody rose beside the desk.

“Have you gotten anywhere?” she asked stepping to the back of the chair.

“I think I have an idea,” Harry replied taking another small step closer, “That’s all.”

The laws of attraction slowly drew the two closer as they made small talk until they were inches apart. For the first time in awhile, their eyes were locked in a passionate gaze.

Melody watched as Harry’s hand ventured to the waves of her hair, and he affectionately stroked it. For a second her eyes closed, and she was lost in memories of only months ago.

Harry’s hand continued to cascade down her golden locks for another moment before he placed it gently on her cheek. Melody anticipated the next step with a hidden excitement but was disheartened as she felt the warmth of Harry’s hand slide down her cheek and graze her neck.

His hand fell back to his side.

“No,” he said to himself.

Shaken from her peaceful state, Melody replied, “What is that supposed to mean?”

“Mel, before we go back into that, we need to be sure we both want the same things.”

“Well, what do you want, Harry?” Melody asked sharply.

“I want you to be the girl I fell for, not this thing you’ve become.”

“This thing is the result of BOTH of our mistakes. I won’t be the girl you want me to be until we settle those.”

Harry looked down into her eyes for another moment.

“And now isn’t the time for that,” he said mildly.

Melody felt her chest sink as he turned and left. She collapsed into the chair behind her where she sat for a moment in complete shock. She would have been there for a great deal of time had she not been joined by a messenger directing her to Dumbledore’s office.


The office was silent as Melody anxiously crossed to Dumbledore sitting at his desk. His expression was unreadable as she impatiently waited for him to acknowledge her.

“I’ve been to Azkaban,” he said looking up from his writing at last.

“And...” Melody said, losing her breath.

At that moment Melody heard the door open behind her. Upon spinning to see who it was, Melody nearly fainted. The frame of the door also framed one man that had also been missing in her life.

“Daddy,” she said like a small child again.

Behind her, Dumbledore rose from his desk.

“A little Veritaserum proved him innocent on the spot. It took more time to convince the administration to let me use it,” the headmaster said.

Father and daughter heard nothing as they were caught in a frozen stare. Mr. Chancelle broke the phase with a slow approach towards Melody. The instant she regained motion in her legs, Melody bounded forward into her father’s outstretched arms.

“I knew you were innocent. I knew it,” Melody said as her father lifted her off the ground.

“I’m glad you believed me,” he replied placing her sweetly on the soft carpet, “I know it must have been hard to trust a man that couldn’t even make time for you in the past.”

“You’re the only man I can trust, Dad,” Melody said, taking in the presence of her father, “Does mom know?”

“No,” Dumbledore chimed in, “But I think the both of you should be there to tell her. I have excused you from your lessons tomorrow, Melody. You are free to join your father.”

Melody thanked the headmaster and the reunited family vanished with a little spin.


The sun was just setting as Melody and her father appeared outside the hated house Melody had tried so desperately to escape. Now, she leaped up the steps to pound on the door.

Anna answered in her usual unattached manner before realizing it was Melody on the mat. For a second she stood motionless unsure of their standing, but Melody wrapped her arms enthusiastically around the worn housekeeper.

“Anna! Dad is innocent! They’ve set him free,” Melody sang into her ear.

Anna was speechless for a moment before she saw Mr. Chancelle appear from behind a tree in the yard.

“Monsieur!” she shouted before turning towards the house, “Madam! Come quickly!”

When Melody’s mother appeared in the doorway, Melody noticed the abandoned sparkle reappear in Mrs. Chancelle’s eyes as they fell upon her husband.

“Richard!” she said behind the tears welling in her eyes.

The two embraced as their daughter watched in admiration. Never in her lifetime had she seen her parents this happy.

Melody’s mind was miles away from Harry as she watched her family fall back together.
Luce Stellare by Sparkling Star
Beyond the daylight
Into the stars
We rest awaiting
These friends of ours
That will come to try
And break the bars
Of ground enchainment
To steal rewards

But not so easy
It will be
For no one passes
Without a fee
Come unprepared
And you will see
The gifts we offer
Are never free

Once she had returned to school, Melody was surprised to find her room laden with textbooks. She had only mentioned the clue to her father and he had in turn sent for every text on nighttime creatures in print. Now, settled in her sitting room, she was paging through each book in search of a solutions.

So far she had determined the biggest obstacle. “Into the stars” was a blatant sign that the task would involve space travel, a very new, tricky skill rocking the wizarding world. Due to her ample amounts of free time over the summer, she had read up a great deal on the practice and though confident that she understood it, she was greatly concerned over the many instances of fatal mistakes.

Space travel aside, she was still lost as to what may be awaiting her beyond the atmosphere. Space creatures were a very new study for wizardry so text was limited. Most of the creatures she may come across were said to be barely conscious and would pose no threat. She knew she had to keep looking for something that would put up a fight.

Only days before the test, Melody came across what she assumed would be her most likely opponent. “Luce Stellare” were devilish star creatures that posed as shooting stars until they came across foreign objects in space at which point they transform into rock-like creatures and pose a test. The victim is given three choices as what to be tested on “ beauty, brawn or brilliance. If they pass, they are given a remarkable gift. If they fail, they are brutally attacked by the beasts.




The roar of the second task filled the air the morning of the anticipated event. Melody had spent the night entering space and returning to Earth to meet a terrible exhaustion that consumed her through breakfast.

Once she had finally surfaced from her room, she dressed in her tournament clothes and with a spin arrived at the task site. There were a meager number of students but the entire fleet of tournament officials, the school heads, and champions. Harry stood off to the side listing off something to himself before he noticed Melody pulling her wand from her jacket.

He slowly pulled himself together enough to approach her.

“You figured out the clue, then?” he asked half teasing, half concerned.

“I did,” she replied haughtily, “You?”

“Luce Stellare. I assume you are going to play the beauty card.”

Melody was still brooding over their last encounter, so this stab at her vanity was not welcome.

“Not this time, Harry. I think it’s getting a little worn out.”

She turned her back to him to hide the emotion welling up in her face, and listened to his breathing for a moment as he took a step closer only to back away and retreat to the side of the pitch.




Melody’s sight was filled with the masses of students cheering for her and the other champions. Positioned in the center of the ring, the champions were awaiting the signal to begin the second task. Three sets of eyes nervously watched a small wand raised above a judge’s head to initiate the event. The instant the anticipated blue spark shot into the air, Melody was at work preparing herself to enter space.

She began by performing the spell to create an invisible shell around her to protect from the heat of leaving and later entering the atmosphere. Then she leaped from the ground with her wand pointed down as a rocket.

Her mind was set on the prize, nothing else. The world faded away as she reached the outer atmosphere. With a great deal of concentration, she entered the vacuum of space and hovered for a moment as she searched the sky around her for her nemesis. Weightlessness slowed her movements, but even the slowest swipe of her arm alerted the Luce Stellare of her presence.

In an instant what appeared to be a shooting star began to hurl directly at her. She made to drive out of the way, but couldn’t move fast enough. The burst of light was only inches away as it turned to circle her three times before revealing the small monster.

Like the textbook had said, it looked like a large bat covered in rock. Two white eyes were illuminated in the center of what looked like a head. The creature hissed as it continued to hover in front of Melody.

The other champions were no where in sight as Melody had a stare down with this Luce Stellare. The tense moment lasted only a little longer before the creature began its speech.

“Three options are all you have. No other given and no other necessary if you are an apt witch. Your first option lies in the eye of the beholder. A test of beauty lies with Shrill…” the monster claimed just a second shot through the air to take its place behind the first, “If you have the strength you may also choose brawn. But don’t let the size of Hexis soothe you, for within his small frame lies the death of many past challengers.”

Another shooting star revealed another Luce Stellare. Accurately described as small, Hexis shook with rage as he too took his place.

“Your final choice relies on your true brilliance. Knowledge is all that can save you from the wrath of our kind under this option. Howrid will examine your intelligence and be satisfied if you wish to return to your hollowed Earth.”

With the conclusion of his speech, the first Luce Stellare, Howrid, took his place as third in line. The three rock creatures hovered in a straight line before Melody.

She was determined to win this the right way, so she moved closer to Howrid. Upon her approach, Howrid moved away.

“Madamoiselle, you must be mistaken. Howrid is the Luce Stellare of brilliance. You must mean to be tested by Shrill of Beauty, for that test you are sure to pass.”

Melody was taken aback by the creatures comment, but only stepped closer.

“I wish to be tested by Howrid of Brilliance.”

With that Shrill of Beauty and Hexis of Brawn took their leave as bursts of light into space.

“Howrid of Brilliance will not go easy on you just because of your faulty selection in tests. So let us begin…”

The remaining Luce Stellare continued to ask a number of difficult questions all of which Melody answered carefully and correctly. The final question answered correctly, Howrid of Brilliance burst into a million beams of light and was gone. All that remained was a small, golden scroll which Melody unrolled and read.


…As reward for your completion of the Luce Stellare’s test, you are bestowed a gift. This scroll is only the proof of your victory, but with you will go a lasting present. From now on you are given the ability to survive the environment of space without the concern of spells and incantations. You are forever a welcome star among the Luce Stellare…


Immediately, Melody rolled up the scroll and wrapped it tightly around her wand. Remembering the race to finish first, she quickly moved to return to Earth.

As her feet touched the ground to a mass of cheering, she enthusiastically turned in hopes of being the first to return. Her excitement faded as she spotted Harry standing on a hovering disk announcing him the winner.


Missing the Marks by Sparkling Star
The tournament was tied between Harry and Melody as she learned standing in the center of the ring. Dobri had not yet returned, but Melody could have cared less as she watched Harry flaunt his victory to the crowd.



This went on for a long time and the crowd slowly became a dull roar around her. Much more time passed and Dobri was still not back. Still caught up in his win, Harry was indifferent to the fact that the third champion had yet to return.



Until another half hour passed, no one showed a great deal of concern, but the clock warned that Dobri has now been gone for an hour longer than it had taken the other two champions. A slight panic began to feed through the crowd.



The wait had gone on long enough when Dumbledore rose from his seat and shot into the sky to retrieve the boy. Melody knew little of the other opponent, but she had liked him from the beginning and her heart sank a little with each moment he was gone.



Behind her, Harry had taken to pacing, but not over the missing Bulgarian. He came up beside Melody and placed a hand on the small of her back. Anxious from the chain of events, Melody jumped a little but then slightly leaned into Harry.



“Can we go somewhere and talk, Mel?” Harry asked quietly as he began to guide her away.



Taken aback by Harry’s lack of concern for Dobri, Melody stepped away.



“Now?! Dobri is missing - perhaps injured or dead “ and you want to have a little chat. Don’t you have an ounce of concern for him?” she snapped before walking away.



She was just about to turn around and give Harry another piece of her mind when the crowd came alive once again. Looking up, Melody saw Dumbledore’s tall frame hovering slowly back down to solid ground. In his arms was Dobri.



Immediately, healers rushed to Dumbledore’s landing point only yards away from Melody. Between the chaos of the men, Melody saw Dobri lying limp on the ground but also a small rise in his chest. In an instant he was swept away to the infirmary.









Melody let a day of visitors pass before taking a moment to go see Dobri. Upon arriving in his room, Melody was pleased to see him sitting up and paging through a textbook.



“Reading, are we?” she asked softly.



Dobri looked up with a friendly smile and replied, “After my failure on that intelligence test, it would be best if I study up.”



Melody laughed a little as she took a seat beside his bed.



“They attacked you?” she asked cautiously.



He nodded.



“It was terrible.”



His smile had faded, but Melody tried earnestly to continue her own.



“And on top of that, they left me with this mark,” Dobri said pulling up his pant leg to reveal a small, black star, “Apparently it means that I had better not mess around in space any longer. Dumbledore said this marking makes me the equivalent of a leper. If I ventured into space again, the Luce Stellare would do anything in their power to get rid of me. All who encounter them are left with one of two marks, the one I have on my ankle here, or the one I am sure is imprinted on yours.”



Melody bent down to lift the leg of her jeans and verified Dobri’s assumption. There on her ankle was another star, but hers was gold and had a certain glimmer to it.



“Harry will have one too,” Dobri continued, “He is a fierce competitor. It is intimidating going up against someone who has already won…as a fourth year!”



Melody was discouraged by the subject change as she warned, “Don’t give him so much praise. He gives himself enough. I hope you never experience his arrogance in action.”



“Arrogant?” Dobri asked quizzically, “But I have rarely heard him talk of himself, for he always seems to be on the topic of you.”



“He talks about me?” Melody asked sharply.



“All the time. Why, during the first task while you were out on the field, I have never seen anyone so genuinely concerned for anyone. He nearly ripped his hair out over it.”



Melody was instantly caught up in emotion. Rising from her seat, she excused herself and rushed out in hopes of finding Harry somewhere.



She was through fighting him off. All she wanted was to be in his arms again and to feel the comfort of having him on her side. The entire charade had gone too far and now all she wanted was to go back to the way things were.



She ran most of the way to the Hogwarts train, and found Harry, Hermione and Ron chatting on the side facing the river. As they saw Melody approaching, Hermione and Ron departed on a walk together.



Melody’s heart stopped as she finally reached Harry. She was dying to spill her heart right there, but was interrupted when he spoke first.



“Mel, I’m sorry. You’re right. I’ve been arrogant. I understand that you have probably come here to explain this to me some more, and you have every right to, but I don’t think you should waste your time with me anymore. You deserve better.”



With his little speech spoken, he disappeared into a train compartment leaving Melody dumbstruck on the outside. She had been so close to setting it all straight. Harry has never been so utterly dejected and she hated herself for being the one to make him that way.



His words turned in her mind as she returned to her suite to find Sparx waiting with a notice from Madame Maxime.



Dear Melody,



Congratulations on another task well completed, but I have important concerns with your education that must be addressed. As you understand, while you were away at Hogwarts, your classmates here at Beauxbaton were taking their national wizarding exams. I must insist that you make these tests up before your last year here in order for you to move on. In a months time you will be examining along with the other two champions that also have required exams to complete. Study up and I am sure you will do fabulously.



Your Devoted Headmistress,

Madame Olympe Maxime



Melody cast the letter aside as the last thing she needed on a day like today.

Eruption by Sparkling Star
The next month was a marathon of studying as Melody concealed all of her emotional turmoil behind the huge stack of books that constantly hovered in the air behind her. Some nights she was joined in the library by Dobri, fully healed, but on the night before the exams, it wasn’t Dobri that sat down at the table.

Harry had hesitantly set his books down while Melody was in another section of the library searching for a book on Aphrotrans, the strength transfer spell they had learned earlier in the year. When she returned to the table, Harry looked up at her hoping she would take the seat next to him.

She did take the seat, but said nothing as she opened the reference. Harry kept trying to form the right words, but when nothing came he grew frustrated and rose from the table.

“This is bloody ridiculous!” he shouted much to Melody’s surprise.

“There just exams,” she replied calmly, “They won’t be that hard.”

“That’s not what I’m talking about, Melody. What’s ridiculous is the fact that we both keep trying to make this thing work, and it is never going to.”

By now a small group had gathered around them, including the rigid librarian, so Melody grabbed Harry by the arm and dragged him out into the hall.

“What are you talking about?” she asked sharply.

Harry melted into the bench on the opposite side of the hall before replying.

“Melody, I came to the library tonight with the intention of telling you how I feel, but as I sat there waiting for you to come back, I realized something. Do you really think we were meant to be together if all we do is go back and forth?”

Melody said nothing as he gazed into her eyes searching for some sort of answer. She wanted to tell him that they didn’t need to go back and forth and that she was ready to go back for good, but nothing came. She was silent.

“I think we both need to just walk away at this point,” Harry said lightly before standing.

“So we’re both giving up again?” Melody said after a short pause, “Because I’m sicker of giving up than going back and forth, but you’re right. I love you, Harry, but if that isn’t enough reason to keep trying, than far be it from me to put you through any more misery.”

Melody quickly summoned her books and disappeared, leaving Harry shocked and tingling with regret.




The next morning arrived and Melody still hadn’t shaken the anger that had forced her to erupt the night before. However, walking to the exam sight, she couldn’t help but wonder what Harry had intended to tell her at that table.

Upon arriving at the first exam, Melody was disheartened to see both Harry and Dobri sitting at two of the tables.

“Aha! Miss Chancelle is here now. We may begin,” a British witch called out to her.

Melody slid into a seat but quickly grabbed the attention of the mystery witch for an explanation.

“Miss Chancelle, the gentlemen will be testing with you because you are all taking the same History of Magic test mandated by all three regions.”

Melody was silent from there on as she completed the test quickly. As she answered the last question she raised her hand for the examiner to take her test. The instant the test left her desk, Melody began to gather her things in hopes of escaping the tension of the room.

“Not so fast, Miss Chancelle. You are required to stay until the time is up,” the examiner said pointing to the hourglass to her right.

Noticing the immense amount of sand left, Melody asked, “Well, may I have another one of my exams to take while I wait. You don’t expect me to sit in this room for another hour waiting for that damn sand to pour out, do you?”

“Watch your mouth, Miss Chancelle, and keep it down, the others are still testing.”

Neither of the other two was even looking at their test as they watched the scene unfold.

“Madame,” Melody began at the examiner, “I don’t intend to sit here and wait, so either you excuse me or I pull out my wand and force you to.”

Seeing the rage in the young woman’s eyes, the examiner excused her. As Melody stormed down the center aisle, the numerous lights in the large room flickered and the shutters slapped the walls. She slammed the great door as she exited shaking the floor around her.

She stormed through the halls straight to Madam Maxime’s office. She didn’t wait for permission to enter, but instead the door magically flew open and she bounded towards the headmistress’ desk.

“Melody! What is this intrusion?!” Maxime snapped.

“Madame, I refuse to take my tests in the same room as…the other champions! Either I am given my own testing area or I drop from the tournament and shame the entire school!”

Madam Maxime stared dumbstruck at her for a moment, but only nodded.

“Of course you can test alone. You can take your next exam in here with me.”

Melody thanked her and exited the room. For the next week she met Madame Maxime and a new examiner in her office and eventually finished all her wizarding exams.

With the anxiety of the tests out of the way, Melody returned to brooding over her relationship with Harry. Another month passed and she refused to talk to Harry. If she passed him in the hall, he was given a cold shoulder. When he tried to come up to her suite, he was turned away by Celeste whom had returned to being Melody’s close confidante after her breakup with Marcel.

Harry had left many messages with Celeste in hopes of getting them to Melody, but Celeste was never given the chance to relay them. Melody didn’t want to hear anything he had to said, for he had told her all she needed to know.
Finding the Track by Sparkling Star
The third task was already fast approaching, and Melody turned her isolation into time to prepare. Celeste was her constant companion to the point that she had moved into the spare bedroom in the suite. It felt nice to have her best friend back. Nothing in the world could have replaced Celeste for Melody, no matter whom or what it was. Celeste was the only one that truly understood her, beginning to end.

Anxiety over the task began to overtake Melody’s anxiety over Harry just because this time she had no idea what to expect. She was relieved, however, when a letter arrived informing her of a meeting for all the champions to find out a small clue about the third task. They were to meet the tournament officials at the practice Quiddich pitch at ten o’clock. Melody thought the time was a little strange, but assumed it to be part of the task.

Therefore, at nine fifty-nine, she Disapparated to the location. Once she arrived, she was surprised to see that no one else was around. For a second she felt uneasy thinking of the last time she had been summoned to a meeting in a Quiddich pitch and nervously took her wand out.

She was about to leave when the pitch burst into a thousand colorful lights and in the center of the field, Harry was hovering on the Asteroid she had given him. Melody was so taken aback that Harry had the chance to approach her on the broom before she attempted to leave.

“Stay, Mel,” he said slipping off the broom.

He didn’t have to say anything, for Melody was already fighting back the tears she had been holding in for two months. When she turned to face Harry again, he was standing only feet away.

“What are you doing?” Melody asked letting a tear escape.

“Mel, I couldn’t have been more wrong,” he said, taking her hand and wrapping it in his own, “I should have never said we would be better off separate, because I would give anything to hold on to the hope that there is a chance you’ll take me back. Melody, you make me a completely different person. You are the only one that can break my temper and the only one that can make me admit I’m wrong. You balance me out, and that is exactly what I need right now.”

For a long time they just stood there as Harry clung to her hand. The lights continued to glitter around them, but Melody couldn’t form a single word.

“You don’t have to take me back, but I wanted you to know what I have been trying to tell you for the last month,” Harry said before he let her hand fall back to her side.

Melody was still silent, for she couldn’t think of the right thing to say. She wanted more than anything to end his hurting and just wrap her arms around him, but she was frozen in place.

After a long time, she finally whispered, “I’m sorry.”

Harry looked up at her just as she broke and began to cry.

“I’m so sorry, Harry. I messed up. I’ve made these last months a complete mess. I let myself believe that Marcel could take your place, but no one can do that, Harry. I was stupid,” she cried in a rapid succession.

Harry instantly wrapped his arms around her and let her cry into his chest. She clung to him desperately for a moment as she tried to gain her composure.

“We were both stupid,” Harry said soothingly, “We both messed up. It doesn’t matter. Let’s just forget it. We’re here now.”

He kissed her forehead and pulled a few stray strands of hair from her damp face. He held her close as her breathing slowed and she calmed down.

“I love you,” Harry said softly.

Placing her hands on either side of his neck, Melody pulled Harry close and kissed him more passionately that she ever had. He lifted her feet from the ground and held her as if she were as light as a feather. After a small spin, he set her again on the ground, keeping her body flat against his.

She pulled away for a moment, but was instantly drawn back into his kiss. Pressing her body tightly against his, Melody made a decision to break her own rules.

They were older now, and the fact that Melody’s hands were unbuttoning the front of Harry’s shirt brought them back to Melody’s suite. Thankfully, Celeste had gone to the library to get some homework done, for by the time Melody and Harry arrived in the sitting room, they were both scantily clad. Harry followed Melody into her bedroom but caught her just beyond the door frame and stole another kiss before shutting the door and secluding them from all their troubles.




When Melody woke the next morning she was comforted by Harry’s arm around her waist. He was still asleep, but Melody didn’t move, not only because she didn’t want to wake him, but also because everything felt right when she was in Harry’s arms.

Not long after, Harry awoke and kissed the side of Melody’s neck. She flipped over in the bed to face him. Twenty four hours ago she would never have thought she would be lying there now, but she was, and Harry was looking endearingly down upon her.

“Good morning,” he said as he turned on his back and pulled her close.

Resting her head on his chest, Melody closed her eyes for a moment as Harry stroked her hair. She was completely content at last, and except for the third task taking place the next day, she had not a single concern in the world. Her biggest competitor was now lying next to her, but she liked the idea of keeping her friends close and her enemies closer.
Abandonment of the Body by Sparkling Star
Author's Notes:
Hey all! I'm sorry the chapters have been short. I just have a lot going on right now, but I am happy to announce that we are nearing the conclusion of The Last Line. I've been playing with the idea of making it a trilogy with the final one turning out as a sort of epilogue, but we'll see how demanding my classes get. Thanks for reading!
The morning of the third task arrived and again Melody woke up wrapped in Harry’s arms. She nuzzled herself closer underneath his chin and fell back to sleep from the rhythm of his breathing.

When she woke again, it was to an unpleasantly shrill version of Celeste’s voice.

“Melody! Get ‘arry out of ‘ere! Your mother and father are in the sitting room!” she squealed with her hand over her eyes.

Suddenly bursting to life Melody shot up (careful to pull the sheets with her) and searched the room for Harry. At first she didn’t see him, but she was startled as he shot up from the floor beside the bed. He was half way dressed and as red as a Gryffindor scarf.

“Remind me to lock the door next time,” Melody teased before Harry disappeared with a Pop!

Melody smiled and fell pleasantly back onto her bed thinking of nothing but Harry.

“Um, Melody,” Celeste began sharply, “I don’t know if you remember the fact that your parents are outside this door, but they are, and they may not be as ‘appy to see you naked as I was.”

Celeste couldn’t mask her panic behind sarcasm, but she made her point. Melody snapped her fingers and was dressed just as her parents stormed in.

“A little sleepy this morning, love?” her fathers asked while her mother admired the room.

“Zis is charming, Melly,” her mother said before kissing her daughter, “You must get out of bed and tell us all zat has been going on wiz you.”

Melody nodded and threw her covers off. She had only slept with Harry twice now and already she was almost caught. Laughing to herself, she changed from her pajamas to some of her more expensive clothes for her mother and proceeded to take her parent’s on a small tour of the campus.




The hours of the day passed rather quickly as Melody enjoyed the company of her family. She never would have thought that either of her parents would be there today or that she would be talking to them, but she was delighted that she had assumed wrong.

When the clock struck an hour before the competition, Melody departed from her parents to change into her uniform before making her way down to the pitch to see Harry before the task.

Upon arriving at the pitch, she was displeased to see that Harry was not there. For twenty minutes she waited for him before assuming he got caught up with the Weasley’s or directing the hoards of Hogwarts students that had arrived to watch the event.

There was still no sign of him at the time assigned for the champions to meet with the tournament officials. Slightly uneasy but fighting to remain rational, Melody listed off a number of places Harry could be at that very moment.

As the champions were informed to take their places in the center of the pitch, a huge pit began to deteriorate Melody’s stomach. Harry would never miss a task.

Her uneasiness carried out into the crowd as faces searched for the third champion, but he was no where to be found. The time of the task came and went, but still there was no sign of him. Anxiety filled the air but set most heavily with Melody as she kept a vigilant eye at the entrances in hopes of seeing the familiar head of jet black hair.

Half and hour had passed and the officials had dealt with enough waiting. They made this clear to Ms. Williams, who rose from her seat and pointed her wand to her throat to amplify her voice.

“It appears our third champion, Harry Potter from Hogwarts, will not be participating in today’s task, disqualifying him from the tournament.”

A rebuttal came from the Hogwarts students but as Dumbledore rose from his seat, they were all silent. He said nothing but disappeared down into the pitch tower.

Ms. William’s continued, “However disappointing, the task must go on. If the champions will please step to their designated starting marks, we may set up today’s task.”

Once Melody and Dobri were in their assigned places, Ms. Williams raised her arms in the air and suddenly a giant platform the size of the pitch rose from the dirt. It looked like an oversized staircase when she was finished, each step having a different station.

“On each step, as you see, there is a new station. This task is to test your complete knowledge of magic. The first to make it to the final step will win. However, this is the Tri-Wizard, so we decided to make it a bit more challenging. Therefore, each champion has been matched up with one they care the most about. Though this twist caused some trouble as it appears two of our champions are on friendlier terms than we expected, we have selected replacements. These partners will be fed potions that need to be reversed, be pit against monsters that must be conquered, and have spells cast upon them that will need to be undone. That is the task of our champions. For safety reasons, if you feel you cannot complete one of the steps, shoot red sparks in the air with your wand and an official or myself will put an end to the testing. But for now, here are your partners and you may begin on my signal.”

With that Celeste appeared before Melody and blue sparks shot from Ms. Williams’ wand. Immediately, a beaker of a pink fluid flew to Celeste’s lips and poured itself down her throat. Celeste’s complexion became very rosy on ingesting the liquid and she suddenly starting singing dreamily.

Melody instantly recognized this as a common love potion. With a fast wave of her wand, Celeste was returned to normal, but on the other side of the field Ron had been forgotten. The bottle had flown to his lips, but there was no one there to cure him. Melody assumed it would be best to leave him in this state than cure him and set the next awaiting station into action.

She returned to her own task and watched as yet another potion was poured down Celeste’s throat. This one caused her to immediately fall to the ground. This was Revertomium, a potion used to kill off the victim’s motor skills. Melody quickly waved her wand and helped Celeste up from the ground.

From the floor of the next station, a hideous beast sprang forth. Its bright red stripes on blue fur gave it away instantly as a Camisutarr, a beast known for its surprise attacks and its fear of darkness. Melody stopped the beast by summoning a cloth to cover its eyes. Instantly, the beast fell silently to the ground and pawed its way back to the hole from which it came.

Melody wasn’t even half way through her stations when she heard a terrible screaming from somewhere in the crowd. She turned around quickly to see Hermione not far off to her right, in tears, screaming out to her. Melody looked to Celeste who had been given a potion that made her fall asleep. She would be alright as long as the second bottle of the potion was not drunk. This in mind she immediately shattered the second portion and allowed Celeste to sleep while she summoned the Asteroid to get to Hermione.

The crowd reacted to her abandonment of her partner, but the commentator addressed the shattering of the second bottle before going into describing the curious action of the Beauxbaton champion.

When Melody reached the side, Hermione was a wreck over something she was holding in her hand. She couldn’t even form a full explanation.

“It’s Harry…….You have to go…….Look!” she said between gasps.

Hermione thrust the handheld mirror at Melody who turned it over to see Harry lying on a marble floor. Over the roar of the crowd, she heard a familiar hissing voice she had wished never to hear again and she knew instantly that Harry was in trouble. Harry must have been holding the mirror in his hand in hopes that someone would be watching, for he turned it on his antagonist to reveal what Melody had feared. Voldemort was standing in front of the staff table in the Great Hall at Hogwarts, towered over Harry.

Melody knew what she had to do, so she concentrated on the Great Hall at Hogwarts and made to Apparate, but was reminded of the restrictions placed on the castle when it failed. Panic overtook Melody as she tried to think of a way to get to the castle, but thankfully, Hermione was beginning to calm down and regain her thoughts.

“That’s why I came to you, Melody,” she said, “You are the only one that can get there through Apparation. Use the potion Harry gave you this summer. That is our only hope of getting there in time.”

Melody had already had her wand up in the air as Hermione finished talking. Seconds later, the potion flew through the air to where Melody hovered on the broom.

In seconds, Melody was standing on the stone steps that led up to the front door of Hogwarts. Surprised to see no Death Eaters around, she cautiously made to open the door.

The huge door cast aside, Melody stepped into the dark entry. Nothing stirred, but as she stepped further into the room, all the candles were suddenly illuminated and she looked with terror upon the lifeless body cast down in the center off the hall.
Lying by Sparkling Star
The room gave off a suspicious silence, but Melody disregarded all sense and forced straight ahead to the body lying on the floor. She tugged on the shoulder to reveal a wise man’s beard upon an eternally still chest.

Breathe eluded Melody as she collapsed on top of the body. Into the silver threads of Dumbledore’s beard she cried as if she had lost her father. Her weeping filled the room as she clung to her savior. Dumbledore was every ounce of guidance she had ever completely relied on, and now he was gone. She was too late.

She continued to pour out her sorrow into the corpse’s midnight robes, but was awakened as she heard a shrill cry from the Great Hall. Knowing she had to leave the body in order to reach Harry in time, she whispered sweetly into the dead man’s ear.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t here in time.”

From behind her a voice asked, “What could you have done? If the great Dumbledore couldn’t protect himself, what makes you think you could?”

Melody was immediately on the defensive again, but Malfoy had already seized her by the waist. His thin fingers dug into her skin as painfully as if her uniform was not in between them. He forced her body against his, making Melody cringe.

“You know, Chancelle,” he said only a couple inches from her face, “we would have made a great team. I thought for sure you were mine before Potter stepped in. If only you had used your pretty little head.”

With this he began to force her backwards against a cold, stone wall. His killing hand gently graced her cheek, but she slapped it away.

“I see you still haven’t come to your senses,” Malfoy replied, only tightening his grip on her, “It looks like I will have to be the one to kill you after all.”

He finally stepped away to reach for his wand, allowing Melody to acquire her own. Without hesitation, he began attacking her with difference curses, all unforgivable. Thinking quickly, Melody expelled Malfoy’s wand causing it to fly through the air and straight to her feet. She cautiously pointed her own wand down and destroyed his.

Malfoy looked at the remains of his wand in terror for a moment before he charged her in the hopes of wrestling her own wand from her hand. He successfully knocked her to the floor where he rose only slightly over her face.

“Looks like we find ourselves in this position again,” he joked maliciously, “Seeing as we’re already here, I might as well let you die happy.”

He leaned lower and forced a kiss on Melody. With no where else to go, Melody turned to the side in hopes of deflecting the affection, but instead Malfoy aimed for her neck.

Completely helpless, Melody utilized an old American trick. Sharply thrusting her knee upwards, Malfoy was soon rolling on the floor beside her in agony.

Rising to her feet, Melody replied, “Don’t flatter yourself.”

Still whimpering from pain, Malfoy was instantly petrified and wrapped in ropes. Having secured her triumph over her opponent, Melody moved on to the bigger, more pressing, task of getting to Harry.

She approached the door lightly, but before she even touched the wood panels, they flew open and the mirror’s scene was alive before her.

Attempting to retaliate, Harry raised his wand from his defeated form on the floor, but his arm just fell limply back to the ground. Voldemort had turned to face the doorway. In the instant before he called out her name, Melody furiously thought up a plan.

It all came to her as Voldemort called for Draco. Draco had wanted an alliance, and that is exactly what she was going to offer the Dark Lord.

“Chancelle, I wasn’t expecting you. How nice of you to drop in on our little tête-à-tête.”

With this said, he cast a curse in her direction, but she quickly deflected and prepared to give him a false offer.

“Before you kill me, you would be wise to learn what I came here for,” she said beginning down the center aisle.

“Melody, get Dumbledore, I need him,” Harry said from his broken heap on the floor.

Trying to remain intent on her false conversion to the dark side, Melody replied, “He’s gone, you oath. Now, shut up.”

Melody was thankful that Harry fainted before she even finished speaking, for the lies spurting from her mouth were even a little too convincing for her.

“Why do you speak to him so coldly when you have come to save him?” the Dark Lord asked.

“That’s just it. I haven’t come here to save him. I’ve come to save myself.”

Melody was now standing at the Dark Lords feet fighting the invasions he was undoubtedly attempting into her mind. This was a skill Melody had mastered many years before when her mother would try to see if she was lying. Faced against the Dark Lord, Melody remained focused and shut out his intrusions.

“You pose no threat to me without him,” the Dark Lord hissed.

“No,” Melody began, “but when you have rightfully taken over the world, there will come a day when someone comes to my door assuming my loyalty is not with you, and I will be killed. When I was aware of your attempts tonight, I knew I had to come and set the record straight and offer you my loyalty.”

Voldemort stepped down so that he was on the same level as Melody. He stood very near her as he obviously continued his attacks into her mind.

“I know what you are looking for,” Melody said after a long pause, “but I am sure you are finding no discrepancies. I want to be on the victor’s side. It is as simple as that.”

Voldemort stepped away and paced for a moment before coming back and asking what use he had for her.

“My Lord, I am much stronger than the average witch, and I know you know that. I have the abilities of someone three times my age. I am not a force to be reckoned with. If you need anymore proof of that just go and see what I have done with your little henchman for the time being.”

Melody knew that Voldemort was already aware of what had happened to Malfoy, but hesitation still covered his face.

“And what tells me that you are through with Potter? How do I know you are not trying to trick me into letting him go?” he hissed.

“First of all, one as great as the Dark Lord would never let the enemy go on the testimony of a seventeen year old girl. Second, I have one tool I can use to prove to you I am fighting for your team. I am sure you are aware of Aphrotans. If I Harry and I were in love, he would rise up and begin this lifetime battle once again, but if I feel no love for him and perform the curse, he will only become weaker and his heart will be broken, breaking the protection his mother placed on him as a baby.”

Voldemort was slightly leery, but he stepped aside revealing Harry’s frail form.

“Then prove to me that you are not in love with him. Perform the spell.”

Melody calmly approached Harry’s body. Her plan had worked almost too well as she kneeled down to perform the spell transferring all her strength to Harry. Placing her hands on either side of his chest, she began to recite the spell.


“Love within me, save a life. Take from me the final strength. I hold out my hand to end their strife. Pass onto him the final ends of my life.”


In an instant Harry was resuscitated and he rose to his feet. Melody heard Voldemort exclaim the killing curse before she blacked out where Harry had once laid.
The Last Line by Sparkling Star
Author's Notes:
This is it - the end. I hope you have enjoyed this fanfiction, and also that you will enjoy the next. I've begun to plot the third and final installment in the Melody/Harry tale. I appreciate all those that have read this. Thank you!



Melody eventually woke to find herself wrapped tightly in warm linen blankets in the Hogwarts hospital wing. The previous night was still just a blend of a thousand pictures without any coherence. Searching her mind for the details of the evening, she turned onto her side under the white sheets.

One bed over, Harry was lying, almost motionless except for his mild breathing. As she watched the comforting rise and fall of her chest, the pieces of the previous night’s puzzle slowly came together.

She remembered seeing Dumbledore’s lifeless form, finally giving Malfoy a bit of what he deserved, and getting to Harry through a well acted lie. Finally, she recalled giving every last ounce of her strength to Harry through Aphrotrans.

Melody was just beginning to free herself of the blankets when the door to the room swung open and Professor McGonogall swept in. The events of the last night were written all over her face as fear and sorrow screamed in her eyes.

“Good, you’re up,” the aging woman said, attempting to wrap her feelings in a false happiness.

Melody took the moment to try to formulate the right words to say, but nothing came. She herself had been completely broken by the loss of Dumbledore, but before her stood the woman that was Dumbledore’s strongest ally. Searching the face of the deceased’s finest companion, Melody couldn’t find a single sound.

“You should try to sit up for a bit,” McGonogall said as she crossed to Melody’s bed.

In the next moment, Melody saw more humanity and affection in McGonogall than she had ever known. The strict teacher melted into an angel as she helped Melody unwrap the blankets and placed a pillow behind her. Placing a hand on the young girl’s shoulder, McGonogall let the smallest ounce of emotion escape her as her eyes welled with silent tears.

Melody was dying to ask her what happened the night before, but she backed away as she waited for the woman to finally cry the tears that she was so masterly holding in. A tense silence filled the air, but was soon cut off as McGonogall answered the main question in Melody’s mind.

“Voldemort is dead. Harry killed him.”

Melody’s heart leaped. Finally the battle that would revive society had been won. A sincere relief fell over her as she inwardly bid farewell to the constant fear that followed all that knew the name Voldemort. She wanted desperately to talk to Harry.

“And Draco?” she asked with a wide grin on her face.

McGonogall only looked at her quizzically, but Melody pressed the subject on.

“What happened to Draco?” she repeated.

“Draco Malfoy?” the new Headmistress asked, “Why I am sure he is safe at Beauxbaton with the rest of the Hogwarts delegation.”

Melody paused for a moment to contemplate this strange reaction. How could she possibly think that Draco was with the Hogwarts delegation when he had only killed their headmaster less than 24 hours ago?

“That can’t be,” Melody replied, “Someone must go get him. He’s a murderer.”

Melody didn’t have to explain any further. In an instant McGonogall pulled from within her robes her own version of the familiar two-way mirror. Into it she called for Hagrid.

“Hagrid!” she called, “I need you to check if Draco Malfoy is with the remaining members of the Hogwarts delegation. Hurry, it is quite urgent.”

McGonogall looked up at Melody from behind the mirror.

“Professor,” Melody began lightly, “I tied Draco up myself in the entrance hall. I found him there when I arrived to help Harry last night. He killed Dumbledore.”

McGonogall could only shake her head as she tried to fathom the hatred in such a young man. For a long time, nothing in the room stirred. Melody was almost afraid to breathe until Hagrid called out to McGonogall through the glass.

“The boy is missing, Minerva!” he called, “Did that nasty rat and his father have anything to do with last night?”

McGonogall couldn’t even answer. She just continued to stare at Melody in complete shock.

“I never thought Albus would go at the hand of one of his own,” she finally said after gaining what composure she had left, “But then again, Tom Riddle was Albus’ own special case, and to be honest I thought he was the only one that could bring such a great wizard down.”

“So Draco escaped?”

“He must have,” McGonogall began, taking on her old qualities, “The castle has been repeatedly searched and there is no sign of anyone.”

McGonogall took the next silence as a chance to check on Melody’s roommate in the next bed over. Hovering above the magic world’s savior, she took on a mother’s endearing gaze.

“It is a miracle you came along to help, Melody. Without your help Harry would never have been strong enough to kill the Dark Lord.”

Melody was silent as she played out the image of what might have happened in her mind. Thinking it over, she came to the realization that Harry should not be unconscious in the bed beside her. True, he may have gotten a little tired from performing the killing curse, but he should not be almost lifeless.

“McGonogall,” Melody said, breaking yet another silence, “Last night I used Aphrotrans to transfer all my strength to Harry and I blacked out. With all that help, shouldn’t he be fine?”

“He is fine, he just blacked out from exhaustion. It seems that what you handed him in strength wasn’t quite enough.”

“But Professor,” Melody continued, “I gave him every last ounce I could spare. Shouldn’t that have been enough?”

McGonogall took her focus away from Harry for a moment and leaned against Melody’s bed.

“Aphrotrans is a complex spell that relies on too many delicate factors. It could have happened this way for a million reasons, but the most likely is…well…I’m sorry, dear, but you may have overestimated his affections for you.”

Melody was struck by these words and accidentally let her inner thoughts escape her.

“He doesn’t love me, does he?”

Trying to sooth the breaking heart of a young girl, McGonogall fought for other explainations.

“Even if there is a great deal of love on one side of the Aphrotrans, it can often be a weak connection if-“

“He doesn’t love me,” Melody finished.

“Not necessarily,” McGonogall said patting Melody’s hand, “He may love you, but if he isn’t willing to accept help from the one he loves, it is reasonable that it would fail. He had enough strength to perform a killing curse, so there must be some love there.”

“But not nearly as much as I thought there was,” Melody said, mainly to herself.

McGonogall decided to allow the poor girl some time with her thoughts, so she excused herself to deal with the Aurors that would be gathering to search for Dumbledore’s killer.

As she exited the room, Melody rose from her bed and crossed the small distance to where Harry lay. She slid a stool over so that she was sitting right beside the bed and sat there for a moment as she recounted all that she had learned in her short talk with McGonogall.

It was obvious that something was still holding Harry back from fully loving her. She knew it was petty to worry about this now, but this was her last chance to change her mind or stick with their decision. Today she could walk away from this school and successfully vow to never see him again, or she could choose to stand by his side in the next months and forever.

She let her hand caress his face just as she was making her decision and to her surprise, his eyelids opened to reveal his pure, green eyes.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, looking around the room as if he expected to see Voldemort towering over him.

Melody wasn’t even offered a minute to respond for he instantly changed his focus onto learning what he had missed or forgotten.

“What happened last night?”

“Well, I saw in the mirror that you were being tortured, so I performed Aphrotrans, but I guess that wasn’t enough to keep you on your feet.”

“What do you mean?” Harry asked impatiently, “What happened to Voldemort?!”

“He’s gone. You killed him.”

“He’s dead?” Harry asked quietly.

Melody only nodded as she visualized the weight lifted from Harry’s shoulders. The room fell silent, but Melody knew that Harry’s mind was racing with the aftermath of the final batter and the victory of right over wrong.

“It’s a strange feeling,” Harry said after the long pause, “It’s strange not having to worry if today is the day I will really have to face him. I never thought it would be over, but it is.”

Melody managed a smile to mask her broken heart, but still could not make herself walk out and leave this place.

“Now things can slow down and maybe get a little normal,” Harry said taking Melody’s unguarded hand.

She reacted with a sharp withdrawl.

“You shouldn’t have blacked out,” she said quickly, rising from the stool.

Harry said nothing, but was well aware of the unhappiness weighing on Melody’s shoulders.

Her emotional rollercoaster with Harry had taken every last bit of her endurance, and she had met her end “ the last line. She was about the cross the finish, but looking back on the course, she had seen that the race for Harry’s heart wasn’t really worth the pain. She couldn’t live another day of her life questioning where tomorrow would land her with Harry. It was clear that they would be better off alone.

“I can’t believe it took the death of Voldemort to make me realize that you don’t love me quite as much as I love you,” she said quietly, “And I know this is the least of your concern right now, but I’ve come to see that you were right. We can’t possibly be right for each other if all we do is go back and forth. I’m done with this, Harry “ all of this. I’m leaving, but please don’t come after me this time.”

Her piece spoken, Melody snapped her fingers so that she disappeared, leaving Harry with only a memory of the one heart that fought through countless rounds of battle only to collapse in the final period.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=8502