Girl Talk & Goodbyes by WeasleyMom
Summary: The wedding cake is gone; the bride and groom are honeymooning. Yet Molly Weasley cannot seem to relax and enjoy the family that lingers in the aftermath of the celebration. She knows the easy laughter they enjoy tonight will be short lived, because three teenagers are leaving in the morning with a job so serious no one will even speak its nature aloud.

Molly knows no magic that will stop morning from coming. But she can make stew and fan the flames of laughter; she can tell someone something she's been wanting to say for years. And she can hold them all while she has them.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 6819 Read: 5422 Published: 12/14/09 Updated: 12/15/09

1. Girl Talk & Goodbyes by WeasleyMom

Girl Talk & Goodbyes by WeasleyMom
J.K. Rowling is a genius. I’m a poser. Nothing here is mine. I just like playing with the other kid’s toys. No infringement is intended.

A big thanks to Andi, Ronnie & Wes for beta reading.

________________

Girl Talk & Goodbyes

Harry, Ron and Hermione sat in the parlor of the Burrow with the rest of the family, laughing and enjoying the celebratory atmosphere that lingered nearly a whole day after the last piece of wedding cake had been eaten. Bill and Fleur left late last night for their honeymoon, and Fleur’s family and the other guests departed this morning for their homes. Charlie, Fred, George, Ginny, and Mr. Weasley were seated about the room too, and Mrs. Weasley could be heard now and again puttering around in the kitchen preparing dinner.

The family knew the three friends would not be returning to school this year, and in fact were leaving early the next morning to pursue a mission left to them by Dumbledore. And so it was inevitable that the conversation turn to Hogwarts and how strange it would be not to be at school.

“Ron will be crying himself to sleep every night at the thought of missing all that schoolwork,” George said.

“And the examinations,” added Fred. “How will you cope, Ron?”

“Hermione could whip up a few practice ones for you to work on while you are away,” George suggested to Hermione’s amusement.

“I actually will miss Hogwarts,” Ron informed them, ignoring their jokes. “But not the school part. I’ll miss the feast and Hagrid… and the feast.”

“You and food,” Hermione said, shaking her head. She was sitting next to him on the couch, with Harry sitting directly across from them in a stuffed chair, laughing.

Ron turned to face her and asked innocently, “What?”

Ginny piped up, “What are you going to miss about Hogwarts, Harry?”

Caught off guard, Harry stared at Ginny a moment before answering. “That’s easy. Everything.”

Hermione noticed the look passing between the two of them and wondered if there might really be just one thing on Harry’s things-to-miss-at-Hogwarts list.

“Classes,” he was saying, “the feast, the Sorting, seeing all our friends, the dormitory, Hagrid, the Gryffindor common room,”

“Oh, me too,” Hermione interrupted. “I love hanging out in the common room.”

Ron turned to her. “You mean studying.”

“Pardon me?” she met his gaze.

“You never just hang out. You study.”

“I don’t always study,” she insisted.

“Right. Sometimes you read.”

“I hang out in the common room, same as you.”

“Hanging out means hanging out, not working. It’s supposed to be relaxing. If you aren’t relaxing, you can’t say you are hanging out.”

“Studying can be relaxing. Reading certainly is relaxing.”

“Studying is work,” he insisted, though not rudely.

Hermione rolled her eyes as George jumped in. “Hello. Would you two like us to leave while you duel this out?”

“We’re not fighting,” Ron said.

“Of course not,” added Hermione, returning his gaze. A moment passed and the whole room seemed to hang in a bit of an uncertain pause.

“So… anyway,” Harry said awkwardly, “I’ll miss all of that… and of course Quidditch.”

“Quidditch!” Ron bellowed, making Hermione jump and Mr. Weasley spill his pumpkin juice. “How could I forget Quidditch?” he asked himself, alarmed at the gravity of his error.

Hermione put on a face of mock concern and touched the back of her hand to his forehead. “Are you feeling all right?”

“Probably just hungry,” he complained dramatically. Hermione laughed, and Ron seemed quite satisfied with himself.

Mr. Weasley then asked, “What about you, Hermione?” Knowing what was coming, Harry raised an eyebrow in Ron’s direction and received a conspiratorial nod in return. The two silently agreed on a plan. “What will you miss about Hogwarts?” Mr. Weasley finished.

Before she could open her mouth to respond, both Harry and Ron jumped to the edges of their seats and raised a hand up straight and tall, as if desperate to be called on for the correct answer. Harry added, “Ooh! Ooh!” and Ron’s mouth was pressed in a tight line as he tried to contain his eagerness. The room roared with laughter as Hermione sat back with folded arms and crossed legs, eyes rolling.

The laughter had not yet died down when Mrs. Weasley popped her head in and looked straight at Hermione. “Any chance you could help me in the kitchen for a bit, dear? It won’t take long.”

This was odd, especially since Ginny, who was usually summoned for this kind of thing, was sitting right there. But Hermione didn’t mind helping. As she got up, she felt Ron nudging her arm. “Oh, don’t run away while we’re having such fun.”

“At my expense,” she said, pretending great offense.

“Aw, come on,” he smiled, kind of flirty… though Hermione didn’t pick up on it.

“It’s only because you’re so brilliant, Hermione,” Harry called after her, hoping they wouldn’t be in the doghouse. But by the laugh they’d just gotten, it was probably worth it.

“Good thing we’re not going back,” Ron said to Harry. “Now she wouldn’t help us with our homework.”

“No problem for me,” Harry teased. “I don’t need help with my homework.”

As she moved from the living room to the kitchen, Hermione heard Fred and George cackling at Harry’s comment. The laughter lifted the heaviness from her heart for a while. The wedding had been such a wonderful diversion. But they had barely begun the magical clean up after the party when she and Ron noticed Harry’s expression growing focused and heavy with responsibility. From that moment until tonight, the three had discussed nothing but the Horcruxes… where to begin, what they might encounter, and on and on. The gathering tonight was just what Hermione needed to lighten her mood; it was like a goodbye party, only no one dared to call it so.

“Here I am,” Hermione announced herself to Mrs. Weasley. “Ready to help.”

“Eat something, dear. You are so thin,” Molly told her, sending a tray of sweets her way with a flick of the wand.

Hermione smiled and chose a treacle tart to be polite. Then she sat down across the counter from where Mrs. Weasley was working. “So what can I do to help? I’m an expert chopper, but I see you have that well in hand,” she said, eyeing a nearby cutting board where a large knife sliced and diced its way through a rather intimidating pile of vegetables. “I’ve loads of experience helping my mum in the kitchen, but you must know I’m not accustomed to cooking with magic.”

“Saves a good deal of time, especially with this lot,” Molly commented, waving her spoon in the direction of the front room, where more rowdy laughter could be heard.

Hermione swallowed the last bite of her tart and brushed her hands on her jeans. “Okay, enough eating, what can I do to help?” she asked, standing.

“Oh no,” Molly said, waving her back into her seat. “You just sit, dear. I’ve been making this stew since my Bill was sitting at my feet banging pots and pans together. I believe I could do a respectable job of it with my wand in my pocket and my hands tied behind my back. My Aunt Muriel’s recipe”did I mention it? Quite delicious, I must say. Very popular around here, and most importantly”“

“Ron’s favorite,” Hermione finished without thinking.

Molly stopped her work and looked at Hermione for a long moment. “That’s right, dear. Yes,” she finished, slowly returning to her preparations. A bit of sadness clouded her expression. “With you lot leaving tomorrow, I thought he might… well… it’s just a small thing, but…”

“He will be so pleased. One thing Ron knows how to properly appreciate is good food.”

Molly gave her a grateful look, thinking that unless she missed her mark, Ron was gaining a new appreciation for a lot more than his favorite stew.

“Mrs. Weasley, if you don’t really need my help with dinner…”

“Why did I ask you to join me in here?” she finished for her.

“Well, yes.”

“I thought we might talk before you go tomorrow,” Molly admitted. “Bit of a challenge getting you away from those boys." She met Hermione's eyes. "You three are inseparable lately, even more than before, wouldn't you agree?”

Hermione didn’t know how to take this. She was surprised to hear it actually, as Mrs. Weasley had been going out of her way to keep the three apart in the days before the wedding. With all the festivities over though, there was really no pretense for it any longer. And they had indeed been together all day; talking, packing and making plans. Ron had speculated earlier that his mum was either closer to accepting their imminent departure, or his dad had talked her into pretending she was all right. Either way, she had not fussed about them holing themselves up for most of the day, as long as they emerged for meals.

Hermione’s discomfort with the question must have shown on her face.

“Oh no, dear, it’s not criticism,” Molly hastened to add. “Heavens, no”I think it’s wonderful. I wish my other children had the kind of friendship Ron enjoys with you and Harry. True friends are of utmost importance, especially in times like these.”

Hermione smiled her relief. “I suppose we are a bit closer. Don’t really know why, now that I think about it. Perhaps losing Professor Dumbledore… and now, leaving school… bit scary, at least for me,” she admitted. “Hogwarts is like home, and we don’t know exactly where we’ll be…” She got a faraway look in her eyes. “I’m sorry,” she said, noticing Molly’s concerned expression. “Yes, I suppose we are feeling a bit closer now.”

Molly forced herself to swallow her worry and focus on the issue at hand. “Some of you more than others,” she said pointedly, making sure to catch Hermione’s eye. “Perhaps?” she asked in an innocent tone.

Hermione was momentarily shocked. “Pardon me?” she choked.

“I said that some of you have grown closer than others. Wouldn’t you agree?” Molly said, not backing down.

Hermione blushed furiously, but didn’t have time to formulate a response. For at this moment, the kitchen door opened and Ron lumbered in. “Do I smell what I think I smell?” he asked, putting his hands on Molly’s shoulders from behind and leaning over her to sniff deeply. “Aw, Mum, you’re the best,” he gushed, grinning adorably. Hermione, her cheeks growing warmer by the moment, wondered if Ron was only being this charming to make her more uncomfortable. It certainly seemed likely. “How ‘bout a little taste?” he asked his mother then, reaching for the spoon on the counter.

He got his hand smacked for his trouble. “Mind your manners,” his mother teased, clearly enjoying the praise. “Some things in life are that much better after a bit of a wait,” she said, eyeing Hermione, who for her part considered summoning Harry’s invisibility cloak.

Ron’s eyes found Hermione’s. “You all right?” he asked. “You’re as red as the Great Hall on Christmas.”

For a moment she could not answer. Finally she managed, “Bit warm, I suppose. That’s all.”

“You’re not mad, are you? We were only joking.”

“No, no… I mean, I know,” she fumbled.

He grinned again, large and glorious. “Well, come back, won’t you? Might as well enjoy the fun. Tomorrow you’ll be stuck with just me and Harry, for who knows how long.”

Hermione smiled, wondering if her face was now approaching purple. She couldn’t help it: being stuck never sounded so appealing.

Molly turned to her son, pointing at him with her wooden spoon. “You lot can manage without her for a while. I’m quite enjoying her company… bit of girl talk. Now off with you. I’ll call you when it’s ready.”

Ron threw Hermione one last look”this one with a question. She smiled in return, saying she was fine. Then he disappeared through the door.

Molly removed the slicing charm from the knife and scraped the diced vegetables into the giant pot she’d been fueling on the stove.

“Mrs. Weasley,” Hermione stammered, but then fell silent.

Molly poured some broth into the pot and swished her wand once in that direction. A steady flame erupted, licking the bottom according to her wishes. She dumped the dishes into the sink and immediately set them to washing themselves. She wiped her hands on a dish towel and stuffed it in her apron pocket. Then she placed her hands on the surface between herself and Hermione, and gave the young woman her full attention.

“Hermione,” she said, shaking her head back-and-forth affectionately. “You, my dear, are in love with my son.”

Hermione’s mouth opened of its own accord, and unwanted tears pressed at the back of her eyes. She started to say something, to deny it or make some explanation, but it was no use. She could see from the look on Mrs. Weasley’s face that she really did know. But how? Surely she had not been so obvious… oh dear. Did the whole family know? Hermione dropped her eyes to her lap and said nothing.

Molly smiled. “I’m so glad you aren’t going to try to tell me it isn’t so. What a waste of time to go through all of that. Now we can get right to it. How long?”

“Third year.” Hermione brushed away a tear from her cheek. “Probably longer.”

Molly’s expression grew concerned. “Why the tears, dear?” she asked more softly. “Don’t you realize how perfect you are for one another? How wonderful this is?”

“Wonderful?” Hermione huffed, batting away another tear. “It’s not wonderful. It’s really quite dreadful,” she insisted, her voice rising a couple of pitches. “How is it wonderful to love someone who only wants to be your best friend? Someone you know to be so right for you… who would do anything for you, risk his life to keep you from danger, hold you when you are crying, make you laugh when you really need it, and even tell you the hard things you don’t want to hear about yourself… but at the end of the day, he’s just going to slap you on the back like you’re one of the boys and get all doe-eyed over some other girl!”

She had not intended to get so worked up, and immediately tried to get some degree of self-control. “Wonderful,” she said again, more thoughtful. “I suppose there are times I think it could be. Sometimes I think maybe he could feel something… because he gets so jealous. Harry doesn’t get jealous like that, only Ron, and he just goes mad! So maybe,” she said hopefully only a moment before her scowl returned. “But just when I think there might be a bit of hope, I look up to see him snogging another girl in front of the whole bloody house!” she railed angrily. “Oh yes. Last year, it was truly wonderful,” she emphasized sarcastically, “to be in love with Ron Weasley.”

Molly came around the counter and reached an arm out for Hermione. “Come. Sit with me at the table.” Hermione obeyed, and they took seats across from one another, Hermione mopping her face and pulling herself together.

Molly sighed wearily. “That bit with the girl last year was unfortunate, I’ll give you that. I was beside myself when Ginny told me about it. What was her name? Indigo?”

The corners of Hermione’s mouth twitched.

“Something purple, what was it? Periwinkle?”

“Lavender,” Hermione said, unable to stifle a smile.

“Lavender, that was it. Dreadful girl”so forward”Ginny told me all about it.”

Hermione was no fan of Lavender’s, but she couldn’t help wondering what Mrs. Weasley would say if she knew Ginny and Harry had gotten together in a very similar fashion after another Gryffindor Quidditch win.

“I can’t imagine how you must have felt,” Molly said.

The memory of Lavender in Ron’s arms popped up in her head, quite unbidden. She closed her eyes tight against it and tried to shake it away. “You don’t have to imagine,” Hermione’s voice was so quiet it was barely audible. “I felt utterly invisible. Uninteresting and unattractive. I’m nothing like Lavender, so I figured if that was what he wanted…”

“I don’t think it was what he wanted. I think it was what jumped right into his arms: an automatic girlfriend without having to muster up any courage, do any work, or risk any important friendships.”

Hermione did not respond, but turned this over a couple of times in her mind.

Molly was looking at her, considering something.

“What?” Hermione asked.

“Oh, I don’t know,” she said quietly, trying to decide something. “I shouldn’t say anything, but I think you might feel better about it… oh, what’s a mother to do?”

“Did Ron talk to you?” Hermione said in an urgent whisper, thinking she would be very surprised indeed if Ron had spoken to his mother about anything relating to girls or his love life in general. That just wasn’t Ron.

“Not Ron. Ginny.” She looked down at her hands on the table, deciding. “Not long before Periwinkle went after Ron,” she began.

“Lavender.”

“Yes, Lavender. Earlier that week Ron caught Ginny kissing a boy and they had quite a row about it.”

“Oh, yes. He doesn’t want to see that. Definitely not.” Hermione thought his protective air toward Ginny was quite endearing, though she knew Ginny most certainly did not share her view.

“So Ginny”in her anger”told Ron that all of his friends were pretty much snogging whomever they liked up and down the halls of Hogwarts, and he was the only one left out of that party. She reminded him about Harry, and made certain she mentioned that you had kissed that Bulgarian boy… what was his name?”

Hermione put a hand to her mouth. “Ginny told Ron that I kissed Viktor? Why?”

“Because he’s her brother and at the moment she wanted to hurt him. Get him back. So she told him about you, and reminded him that no one seemed to be interested in snogging him. Now why do you think Ron would have cared so much about who you may have kissed?”

Hermione just stared, her mouth hanging open. Then finally she realized something. “This is why he was so mean to me that whole week. I could never figure out what I’d done.”

“Ginny quite regretted it, I will tell you that. She thinks her brother belongs with you, and she knew she’d done some damage there. Ginny doesn’t think Ron would have been so receptive to this girl’s advances if she hadn’t said all that to him, and I tend to agree. Think about it… this girl gave him all kinds of attention and made him feel like the number one bloke for the first time in his life, just a few days after he found out that the girl he really cares about had kissed someone else.”

Hermione tried to process it all.

Molly shrugged. “It doesn’t really change anything, I suppose. He was still a great prat to get involved with a girl I don’t think he cared for one bit, and he flaunted it with you, and let things get very bad between you…”

“But that was my fault,” she said quietly.

Molly did not respond.

“I’m the one who wouldn’t talk to him. I was just so hurt. He broke my heart”again. I couldn’t stand to be around him. And I was so angry. He’d said he would go with me to…” she trailed off. “But really I just didn’t want to see it. She would come up and put her hands all over him… and I just… I couldn’t...”

“I understand.”

“And then he was poisoned, and I’ve never been so scared in all my life.” Hermione was staring at her hands, going over everything that had happened last year. She raised her eyes to Molly’s and said quietly, “I didn’t kiss Viktor. He kissed me… after the Yule Ball. It was very chaste really; I just didn’t feel anything more than friendship for him. Sometimes I wish I had, because he was so nice to me and attentive. He always made me feel attractive and appreciated.” She paused, looking thoughtful. “But you can’t make yourself care about someone that way, can you?”

“No, dear. You can’t.”

“For a long time I wished I hadn’t let him kiss me. I really thought that eventually, Ron might… you know… that we might figure it out… and he would be my first kiss. But then he chose Lavender.”

Molly covered Hermione’s hand with both of hers.

“I don’t think he chose her, dear. And that makes a difference.”

“Maybe it does, but it doesn’t get the picture of it out of my head.” Hermione pressed her fingers to her eyes, as if to rub out the image.

“What about now?” Molly asked her.

“What do you mean? It’s the same for me, worse probably.”

“Worse?” Molly asked. “But she’s way out of the picture now.”

“Yes. But I feel the same about him as ever, only stronger. Goodness, every time I see him, it’s more than the last time. If he walked in right now, I think I would be crazier about him than when he was in here a while ago. It’s bloody infuriating.”

Molly smiled a sweet, maternal smile and shook her head at Hermione. “You are a lovely, precious girl, do you know that?”

Hermione glowed under this sincere expression of love, but did not reply.

“Ron adores you, dear, I’m certain of it. I know it the way I know how much it bothers Bill to have those scars across his face even though he says it doesn’t matter… the way I know Charlie is lonely and misses home more than he lets on… how I know that Fred and George feel things more heavily than anyone would guess because of all the silliness… the way I know that Ginny is long past crazy over one Harry Potter, and thinks I am none the wiser… and the way I know my Percy does not sleep well at night and will one day come back into this house as a very welcome part of this family. A mother knows her children… you’ll understand one day.” She gave her a pointed look. “I know my son. And he is quite in love with you.”

Hermione could hardly catch her breath. “Why are you telling me this?”

Because, dear!” she said, raising both her voice and her hands in earnest. “Because you don’t know it! Neither of you has any confidence where the other is concerned, and so you both play your cards too close to the vest. It’s all right to let him see your heart a little.”

“I don’t know what you mean,” Hermione said. “He’s my best friend. He knows me better than anyone.”

“But not how you really feel about him.”

“I suppose not, but…”

“I’m not suggesting a love potion, dear, or acting apart from who you are. Just give him a little encouragement. Ten times a day he flashes that grin at you and you bury your red face in your lap. Why not let him see how it makes you feel?”

“I’m not the type to bat my eyelashes.”

Molly laughed. “Don’t I know it, and I’m so glad! Just think about what I’ve said… you’ll see what I mean when the opportunity presents itself.”

Hermione hesitated. This heart-to-heart was making her want to pour her guts out. She didn’t have anyone to talk to about any of this. She was growing closer to Ginny all the time, but this was about her brother, and it just felt sort of strange. They’d talked around it a bit, and it wasn’t a secret or anything. But Hermione would have felt awkward pouring out her heart to Ron’s sister, at least right now. There was Harry, but it would really put him in the middle of things, wouldn’t it? Not to mention the very real fear she had in telling Harry the depth of her feelings… he might know that Ron didn’t share them. And though there were many days when she suspected as much, hearing it as a cold, hard fact was not something she was prepared to endure right now. But here was Mrs. Weasley, ears and heart wide open, telling her the things she so desperately wanted to be true…

“Do you think he’s been different recently?” Hermione asked in a near-whisper.

“Different?”

Hermione shook her head and laughed a little. “Forget it. I’m just imagining things. I’m sure its nothing.”

“I don’t think he is different in general, except maybe a bit more grown-up and serious than usual… only a bit though,” she added with a wink. “But I have noticed he’s been much less candid about his feelings toward you. Why do you think I’ve brought this up after all this time?”

“You do think so?” Hermione asked hopefully. “Because there have been a couple of times… I don’t know, but he’s been sort of… attentive.”

“Who initiated all that dancing at the wedding?”

“He did!” she exclaimed. “I nearly fell off my chair.”

Molly seemed to be thinking that over. “There are actually times when I think someone has given him a bit of useful advice about girls, but I can’t imagine who. Heavens, not Charlie or Fred or George… not even Harry, I’m afraid, is qualified. Maybe Bill? Hmmm… whatever happened, he doesn’t seem to be concealing his feelings as much as he has before.”

“So it’s not just me then, wishing it so,” Hermione mused.

“Hermione,” Molly asked, taking in the girl’s wistful expression. “Do you know that Muggle dish I always make when you first get here?”

“Yes, of course. Lasagna. It’s my favorite.”

“Do you know why I started doing that?” Molly asked.

“I just assumed I’d mentioned it before, and you are always so kind about cooking everyone’s favorites…”

But Molly was shaking her head. “Two or three years ago, Ron mentioned to me that you loved a Muggle dish called lasagna, and since you were arriving in a couple of days, maybe I would want to look for a recipe and try it out.” Molly watched as Hermione absorbed this. “Well, Arthur has loads of Muggle books in his collection; it was easy to find.” Molly smiled. “You have noticed how Ron doesn’t eat much of that, haven’t you? Just sort of pushes it around on his plate. He doesn’t really care for it. Yet he reminds me every time that lasagna would be a good idea for your first night here.”

Hermione said nothing, so Molly continued. “Did you notice the flowers in Ginny’s room when you arrived?”

“Of course… they are from your garden.”

“Yes. Ginny came ‘round and thanked me for putting them in there, but I had to confess I had nothing to do with it. The only thing I knew was that I’d sent Ron out to do the weeding, and an hour later those flowers were on the table next to the bed you sleep in, dear. And only hours before you were expected to arrive. Bit of a coincidence, wouldn’t you say?”

Completely taken off guard, Hermione could not find her voice.

Molly leaned in, covered Hermione’s hands with her own, and spoke with fire in her voice. “Do not give up on him, dear. All he lacks is confidence.”

Hermione felt warm all over, loved and encouraged. “Thank-you, Mrs. Weasley. I didn’t realize how much I needed to talk about this.”

“I’m always here if you need me.” Molly rose and came around the table to give her a bone-crushing hug. “Now. You get back in there and enjoy your last night with the family. Laughter is good for what ails you.”

Hermione smiled her gratitude and took the advice, heading through the door into the parlor where everyone was talking and laughing about something she’d missed. She couldn’t help but notice how Ron scooted over to make room for her again, even though there was an empty chair nearby as well. Hermione was beginning to agree with Molly… perhaps there was still a bit of hope where Ron Weasley was concerned after all.

_____________________

A few hours later…

They planned to leave in the morning, well before light, while the house was still asleep. And so as each person retired for the night, it was necessary to make a round of hugs and goodbyes. Mr. Weasley, the twins and Charlie had already gone up, leaving only Ginny and Mrs. Weasley still to say good night. The four teenagers lingered in the parlor chatting, and Mrs. Weasley avoided the whole thing by puttering around the kitchen.

“Well, I guess it’s pretty late,” Ginny finally said. “I know you need to get some rest.”

No one said anything. Ginny caught Hermione’s eye and they both rose to embrace one another. “I’m going to miss you,” Ginny told her.

“Me, too,” said Hermione. “Do be careful. It might be dangerous at Hogwarts this year, you know.”

“I know. You too though,” she said, addressing them all. “Luckily you three rarely run into much danger,” she quipped.

Hermione sat back down next to Ron as Harry got up to hug Ginny. It was awkward with Ron right there holding Harry to his promise. In fact, neither of them said a word, but only held each other’s eyes for a long moment after releasing one another. Hermione felt a bit choked up watching them, and hoped everything would somehow work out for them to be together when all of this was over.

Next Ginny turned to Ron, who stood up, towering over her. She walked into his arms and they hugged. Hermione noticed Ginny’s eyes were wet and wondered if Ron caught this.

“Seriously, Ginny. Be careful at school. Who knows what it will be like now, with Dumbledore gone. Watch out for yourself.”

“I always do,” she said, pulling back to look up at her brother. She managed to keep the tears from falling, though they pooled in her eyes. “Don’t get killed or anything.” She tried to make it a joke but her shaky voice revealed her heart. He held her gaze and smiled. Then she turned and ran up the stairs.

Harry turned to the other two and said wearily, “Whose idea was it to do this tonight, one person at a time so that saying goodbye takes bloody hours instead of the ten minutes it would have taken to do it with the whole family at once?”

“Yours,” they said together.

“Right then,” he said, slumping back into the chair. “Three cheers for anguish.”

“Cheer up, mate,” Ron said in a tired voice. “We haven’t even done the hard one yet.”

No one spoke for a long time, but the silence was easy and comfortable. Finally Mrs. Weasley came in, obviously surprised that the others had already retired for the night. She sat down in a chair near Harry. “I suppose these moments have a way of finding you, don’t they?”

“Mum,” Ron said.

“I know, I know,” she said, waving her arms. “You have to do this. Dumbledore, and Harry…. and Harry certainly can’t go alone. I understand.”

“I know you don’t like it much,” said Harry.

“Not much, no,” she confessed. “But I’m very proud of each of you,” she said meaningfully. She wrung her hands in her lap and straightened her back. “You must be careful. You’ll look out for one another constantly?”

“Well, that’s sort of the point, Mum. We’ll be much safer because we’re together.”

“Right, then,” Molly said, standing up. “Best get it over with.” She smiled big and held her arms straight out to Hermione, who instantly welled up with tears and walked into the embrace.

“Try not to worry too much,” Hermione said, knowing it was a stupid thing to say.

Molly pulled back and held Hermione’s shoulders so their faces were only inches apart. “Remember what I said,” she said, loud enough for Harry and Ron to hear. Then, in a much lower voice, she whispered, “You come back on his arm, dear.” She winked and gave her shoulders a squeeze. “And I’m not talking about apparition.”

Hermione flung her arms around the woman and hugged her as if her life depended on it. She wanted to thank her somehow but couldn’t find the words, especially not in front of Harry and Ron. She finally tore herself away and walked across the room to fetch a tissue.

When she turned back around, Mrs. Weasley was talking with Harry, loud enough for both she and Ron to hear. She had a hand on either side of Harry’s face. “We all know you will not be returning to that dreadful house again, Harry. This is your home now. When you return, you’ll come back with Ron and be with us. You are part of this family, do you understand me?”

Harry had not wanted to get emotional, but the pressure behind his eyes would soon overwhelm him. He did not blink, only nodded his great appreciation for her kindness. He did know, but hearing the words was very comforting indeed. “I can never thank you properly for all you have done for me, Mrs. Weasley. And your whole family really.”

“You be careful,” she ordered. “You, with the weight of the world on your shoulders.” She was all choked up. “You’re just a boy,” she said under her breath, hugging him hard at last.

He hugged her back, realizing again in this moment that Mrs. Weasley was the closest thing to a proper mum he would ever have. A sense of gratitude welled up inside him for the acceptance he had found here.

She released Harry and he moved away, into the kitchen.

She heard her son stand up behind her. She knew he was waiting, but she couldn’t make herself turn around. Tears fell fast and furious down her face now and a great sob escaped her frame.

“Mum,” Ron said, putting his hands on her shoulders from behind. “Everything’ll be all right, you’ll see.”

She turned then and hugged him fiercely, wondering how he had ever gotten so big. He must be as big as Arthur, her baby boy. She held on for so long that Ron felt tears pressing at the back of his own eyes, demanding release. He held them back, knowing his mum’s pain would multiply exponentially if she saw how difficult this really was for him, how scared he was in spite of what he’d said.

She released him with a great sniff and craned her neck to look him in the eye. She put her hands on his face as she had Harry’s, and he bent down to look at her. Though her eyes were wet, they were again full of fire when she gave him one last order. “You come back here in one piece, do you understand me?”

“I’ll try, Mum.”

“No,” she argued harshly, holding his face in a tight grip. “You don’t try.” Her voice broke and an avalanche of tears began to fall again. “You do it.”

“Okay.” He glanced down, feeling a trace of guilt for making a promise he wasn’t sure he could keep. “Love you, Mum.”

She drank in his whole face, memorizing the placement of every freckle. “I love you, too.” She hugged him one more time before disappearing up the stairs very quickly, leaving them alone again.

Harry strode back into the room from the kitchen and immediately made for the stairs, saying he was going to bed. Hermione said nothing for a few moments as Ron recovered from the difficult goodbye to his mum. Then he caught her eye and they wordlessly headed for the stairs.

“Are you all right?” Hermione asked him as they ascended the staircase together, Ron on her heels. He had taken out his wand and was magically turning out lights as they went.

“Yeah, why?”

“Well, because I’m not really sure I’m all right, and this is not even my family.”

“M’okay,” he told her as they reached Ginny’s room.

Harry came by then with his toothbrush, headed for the bathroom. The three confirmed that they would meet downstairs before dawn to head out, and then Harry disappeared behind the bathroom door.

Ron and Hermione stood looking at one another for a moment before Ron spoke up as though he’d just remembered something. “How come you’re suddenly so chatty with Mum?”

“What?”

“Tonight. You were in there forever. What was she on about for so long?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

He took a step closer to Ginny’s door, and Hermione did the same. He gave her a pointed look. “My mum needs help in the kitchen like you need a Charms tutor.”

She grinned. “I suppose she wanted some company.”

“She has a husband and seven children. Not to mention the parade of people marching through this place over the last week”

“Is it so difficult to imagine that someone might just enjoy my company? Might simply enjoy talking to me for a length of time?”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“Well, what did you mean then?”

“I don’t know.” He studied her, trying to figure something out. “It’s… just a bit weird, you know. You and my mum, all cozy and talking. I mean… what were you talking about all that time?”

“Girl talk.”

“What’s that mean? Like clothes and cooking?”

“Watch yourself,” she warned him.

He studied her, oblivious and hating it.

Hermione grinned and dropped her gaze to the floor. She loved the look he got when he was trying to work something out to no avail. Then his mother’s voice was whispering in her head. Ten times a day he flashes that grin at you and you bury your red face in your lap. It’s all right to let him see your heart a little.

Hermione took a deep breath and lifted her eyes to meet his, giving him a warm smile. “What are you so worried about?” she teased. “She didn’t tell me all your secrets.”

“Secrets?” he asked, alarmed only for a moment. There was something different in her expression, in the lilt of her voice, but he wasn’t sure what to make of it. “She doesn’t know any of my secrets,” he informed her.

“Oh, then you admit you have some?”

“No,” he stammered, trying to recover. “But… wait…”

She grinned large, placing her hand on the doorknob. “Goodnight, Ron,” she said, opening the door.

He loved it when she smiled like that. “Wait,” he said.

She looked back at him. “Yes?”

He really didn’t know why he had called her back; the word had simply popped out. “Just… g’night.”

She pressed her lips together in a thoughtful smile and slipped inside, clicking the door shut behind her. Ron turned and leaned his back against the wall, tipping his head back to stare at the ceiling. He sighed heavily as the bathroom door opened and Harry emerged.

He looked Ron over. “You’re pathetic, you know that?”

“I know,” Ron agreed miserably. He slowly recovered and fell in step behind Harry, following him up to the attic bedroom.


END
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=85107