Black Against Black by red haired mom, R_Ravenclaw
Summary: Bella has her orders. Kill Sirius Black. Can she do it? Or will he thwart her and Voldemort?
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 5762 Read: 1664 Published: 01/11/10 Updated: 01/11/10
Story Notes:
This story was written by Alison and myself for the sixth Gauntlet. I wrote Sirius and she wrote Bellatrix.

1. Black Against Black by red haired mom

Black Against Black by red haired mom
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Sandy, Snape’s Talon, for being such a wonderful Guide through the Gauntlet. And thanks to harrypotterfangirl21 for doing such a great beta job for us. And thank you to the Title Library, and especially to megan lupin for putting this title in her list.
Bellatrix's black eyes found the small white house, and her expression twisted into a sneer. She knew he was inside, but as her eyes were fixed firmly on the door, the only movement was the solemn, steady drizzle of the rain. She shifted slightly, but she made sure not to move too much. A Disillusionment Charm was in place, but even the tiniest movement could be seen by a careful observer.

Why wouldn't he come outside already? She hated sitting still with nothing to do except watch. There was nothing to take over her mind, and it left too much time to think.

There was a lot to think about.

Wormtail, that pathetic, disgusting rat, had come to her Dark Lord, seeking safety in exchange for information. Of course Bella understood the advantages of keeping the creature around, but she couldn't help but abhor him. As a spy, though, he was invaluable. In the half-year Wormtail had been in her Lord's ranks, he had managed to tell them of the Order's plans, attack strategies, and most powerful members. Sometimes Bellatrix even wished she could be useful in that way… Not that she wasn't invaluable herself. Everyone knew Bella was the most loyal of the Dark Lord's followers, and the most ruthless. No one could match her as a fighter.

The idiotic Peter Pettigrew finally convinced her Lord that two of his best friends, James Potter and Sirius Black, were some of the greatest threats to the Dark Lord's plans of domination.

"Give your reasons," her Lord demanded, as always looking powerful, indomitable.

Wormtail repeated all the reasons he had been giving for months, "They are undeniably two of the most… intelligent students who were ever at Hogwarts." Bellatrix had noticed with sardonic amusement that the rat began to shiver and stammer. "They became Animagi during their fifth year. This is nothing ” sh ” short of brilliant. They are powerful, my Lord, and ” and know many spells… and have become accomplished duellists. I don't… doubt that it would be a stroke of genius to ” to ” to murder these two before they have a chance to ” to fight back."

"Are you offering to kill them yourself?" her Lord said, a strange look coming over his face ” a look of mocking.

"My ” my Lord, I would ” you mustn't doubt this! But I… If I… If I did kill ” kill them, I would no longer be able to spy… for you, my Lord," Wormtail stammered. What an excuse. Bellatrix Lestrange would never have made excuses.

"Leave now," the Dark Lord commanded suddenly. "Except for you, Bellatrix. You stay."

A smile came over Bella's face: a true smile, one that was rarely seen. It was a smile reserved for one person ” her Lord.

"What do You ask of me, my Lord?" she asked, her voice soft and fast, her face willing and eager. She bowed before Him.

"Rise," the Dark Lord commanded. "Bellatrix, you agree to everything I ask of you."

"Of course I do, my Lord. I don't live but to serve You," she breathed, straightening and looking into His red eyes.

"I know you find Wormtail repulsive, but even you see the truth in his words. You are to kill your cousin, Sirius Black," He commanded. Her face remained the same, but some part of her filled with dread. There was nothing she wouldn't do for her Lord, but this… This she did not want to do. "He is a blood traitor, and your relation. As one of my most faithful followers, surely you would want to be rid of this more… unseemly side of your family."

Bella paused for a split-second longer than usual. Then she quickly said, "I would love to take part in this assignment, my Lord. Sirius Black deserves his fate. My mission is to ” kill him?"

"Yes, it is. You don't seem as willing as usual."

"Of course I am, my Lord! This is what I desire more than anything in the world. Anything You wish to see accomplished, that is my wish as well. I will murder my cousin for You, my Lord. You know I would do anything for You."

"I know this, Bellatrix, and you must remember as well. Inform me of your progress."

Bellatrix bowed deeply to her Dark Lord before she swept out. She stood with her back against the door, and breathed harshly. She couldn't allow herself to remember anything that would make this assignment difficult.

Now Bella was sitting across from Sirius Black's home that he had purchased with the money he inherited from their Uncle Alphard, the filthy traitor. The two of them were filthy blood traitors.

Before Sirius had gone to Hogwarts, he and Bellatrix had been close, as much as she tried to forget. There was nothing she wanted more than to forget those times when they had spoken, laughed. But then he had been Sorted into Gryffindor, and become friends with blood traitors. She had become a Death Eater, and it all fell into place. But there had still been those memories of laughter and happiness, before she discovered what true happiness was. True happiness was with her Lord, but times with Sirius had been unguarded. He knew her before she had discovered her calling, when she was just another girl. And she had known him during the time he grew up.

Then he had changed, but not the way that he was supposed to. He was a Black, for the love of Salazar, but he didn't act that way. He didn't live up to the example she set for him; instead he joined the Order, was allies with Dumbledore, loved filthy Mudbloods. This was her cousin, the cousin she had tried hard to mould into the perfect pureblood. How she failed!

She had too much time to think, waiting here. She had thought through her life, and for the most part liked what she saw. This friendship with Sirius, though, this she couldn't forget the way she wanted to.

But of course there was no other alternative. She had to kill him, because her Lord was more important than anything in the world: more important than her past, her future, and, most definitely, Sirius Black.

Suddenly her eyes snapped into focus as the front door of Sirius' home opened. She wanted to jump up and kill him immediately. But instead she waited for him to have a head start, and then followed silently, deciding not to show herself until the most opportune moment.

***

Sirius Black was enjoying a rare night with his friends. James and Lily had brought along Remus and some take-away from a restaurant in town for dinner. James said something about Peter not being available, which wasn’t a surprise to any of them. It seemed that every time they turned around, one or more of them was off doing something for the Order.

They all tried to forget the war for a few hours. James regaled them with his thoughts on the Quidditch teams he thought would make it to the Quidditch World Cup. Lily slapped hands as they reached for the food and handed them plates and forks. Remus just shook his head at the lot of them and went into the kitchen for napkins. The take-away places never remembered to give them napkins.

Everyone was laughing and enjoying themselves until the fire flared green and Dumbledore’s head appeared in the fireplace.

“Sirius, would you mind coming up to the school? There are a few things I would like to talk to you about,” he said.

“I’ll be there soon, Professor. I’ll have to Apparate though; the fireplace is barely big enough for your head.” Sirius turned and told the others they were welcome to stay until he came back or just lock up when they left.

Striding to the door, he stopped only long enough to put on his travelling cloak. Opening the door, he turned back to hear James say, “Better you than us out in that foul weather.”

As soon as he stepped out onto the steps he felt a tingling on the back of his neck. Surreptitiously glancing around, he couldn’t see anyone that didn’t belong, but the feeling continued as he took off briskly to his normal Apparition spot.

He hadn’t wanted to say anything to the others, as they would want to go with him and watch his back. As if I can’t watch my own back.

Hunching his shoulders against the rain, Sirius picked up the pace and just as he turned the corner into the alley, the rain slowed and the wind kicked up. Blowing as it did from behind him, it brought with it the scent of patchouli. He’d only ever known one person that liked that scent.

Not liking the fact that his dear cousin Bella was behind him, he quickened his pace and tightened his grip on his wand.

***

Bellatrix followed behind Sirius, wondering what the best way to kill him would be. Bella had an affinity for the Cruciatus Curse, and she usually loved to use it. She loved the sense of power it gave her, the beautiful feeling that she was doing something for the cause she would do anything for. But, for what was the first time, she realised she didn't want to see this man writhing on the ground in agony, and screaming in pain. Usually that sounded like music to her, but now she felt that if she saw it, she would most definitely not enjoy it. Even the thought made her feel sick.

She knew she had to kill him quickly. She rarely used the Killing Curse, because she always felt there wasn't any pleasure in that. Not that her Lord's decision to always use this type of curse was in any way wrong, of course. He was always right, but she didn't enjoy it.

Now, though. Now felt different for some reason. She didn't exactly understand why. They had been friends as children, sure, but that didn't mean that times hadn't changed, that she didn't hate him now. Because she most certainly did. Still, though, she knew her Lord would want him killed as quickly as possible, and she would gladly go back and inform Him that her mission was complete.

She continued to follow Sirius Black, noticing that his pace picked up. Did he sense her? She didn't she how it was possible. The Dark Lord himself had performed her Disillusionment Charm, so she knew it was very powerful, much more powerful indeed than she could ever have cast.

Still, by now he was practically running, so she picked up her pace to match his. Her long black hair was whipping behind her, and she knew that no matter how strong her charm was, it would be easy to tell there was someone there.

As she ran, she knew that her decision has been made for her when she had been given this mission. Her Lord wanted Sirius Black killed, and she knew she had to take the easiest route, even when she might be more inclined to duel him.

She thought of this when she ran, and at first there was the slightest feeling of dread. But then she accepted it, because she was Bellatrix Lestrange, the Dark Lord's, her Lord's, most faithful servant. He would want her to use the Killing Curse, and so she would, for Him.

Suddenly her target stopped, and she stopped too, knowing she had to be stationary to prevent him from detecting her. He looked her way, and then turned around, presumably not seeing anything.

She looked into the dark alley. Why was he here? Still, this was the perfect place. No one would see him fall, here. No one would witness his death.

She raised her wand quickly, about to perform the Killing Curse.

***

Knowing she was behind him made Sirius extremely nervous. Face to face, he knew he could beat her, but a sneak attack from behind would catch him blind. Dammit! Watching my own back against anybody else would be easy. Against Bella’s a different story. Maybe I should’ve asked Prongs to follow behind me.

Thinking quickly, he felt any Shield Charm he might be able to cast wouldn’t block her favourite curse. His muscles tensed in anticipation of the pain from her Cruciatus Curse. It was her favourite.

Sirius knew being her favourite cousin when they were children wouldn’t save him any pain. She was under Voldemort’s thumb so completely he didn’t think she was even fully sane anymore. A person had to be at least slightly mental to enjoy meting out so much pain. He could still remember very clearly the day she approached him to show his loyalty to the Black family name, and the Dark Lord.

She’d come to his parents’ house and up to his bedroom. That in itself wasn’t out of the ordinary, but what she said to him could’ve easily qualified as the shock of the century.

“Sirius, I know you’re in Gryffindor, and you know I’ll forgive you for that, but you need to make a choice soon. Are you going to live up to our family’s values and expectations? Will you join me in the Dark Lord’s service?”

He’d scoffed and refused, “I’ll never join him. Voldemort is more evil than mother, and that’s saying something. No, cousin, I won’t be joining you in worshipping that maniac.”

Her eyes, while heavy lidded, could still strike fear into any heart when they went flinty, narrowed and she drew her wand, “That’s too bad, Sirius. Maybe this will change your mind.” Before he knew what she planned, he was in more pain than he’d ever felt possible. It felt as though all his bones were breaking and his muscles were being torn apart.


He jerked himself from the memory and strained to hear any sound from behind. Cursing the wind and rain, he was almost running to get to the alley.

Finally making it to the alleyway that he normally used for Apparition, he saw something on the ground. Normally he didn’t pay much attention to his surroundings, but with Bella breathing down his neck, he needed a reason to turn around. Finding a Galleon on the ground in a Muggle neighbourhood qualified as out of the ordinary and gave him a reason to bend down and then turn.

Bending down to pick up the Galleon, he felt a whoosh of air and saw a green light soar past right where his head would’ve been if he’d remained standing. He had a split second to register that she wasn’t going to torture him; she was trying to kill him.

Bloody hell! he thought as he turned around drawing his wand.

He couldn’t see her, but he knew she was there. All he could do was start firing Stunners and hope one of them hit her. He dodged around the alley, hoping she wouldn’t be able to hit him if she tried another Killing Curse, or anything else for that matter.

***

Bella watched in horror as Sirius turned around abruptly, ducking under her spell. "Damn it!" she cried, as she realised she could no longer use only the Killing Curse; she would have to fight.

She jumped from where she was concealed in the shadows, unwilling to give up her cover even as she knew she couldn't fight without being able to see him properly. The Disillusionment Charm still kept her from being completely visible even as she continued to rain spells upon her cousin.

Bella was about to send another Killing Curse ” her wand was already raised ” but at the same time she heard him yell, "Expecto Patronum!" and a burst of silver shot out of his wand before she could even fully catch just what animal it was.

Why in Merlin's name was he casting a Patronus? The question kept repeating in her mind as he sent spell after spell at her; there were all colours of light ” except green.

Finally pushing away the troubling thoughts, Bellatrix called, "Still too much of a baby to use Avada Kedavra!" At her last two words a jet of green light came out of her own wand, but he jumped out of the way.

Again and again she sent the green light, but every time he deflected it or moved.

"You know why He wants you dead, don't you?" Bella asked.

"I don't care," he grunted from across the alley, sending desperate looks around every now and then… Bella wondered why, but it was a distraction she didn't need and was glad he had.

"Because you're a filthy blood traitor… Remember all those years ago when I said you should be a Death Eater? Think of where you could be now, if you had just listened… You certainly wouldn't be standing her, getting beaten."

"You're not beating me!" he cried in between non-verbal spells, his dark hair falling in front of his eyes which were lit with grim determination.

"Of course I am!" she called back, deflecting all of his spells. Finally she hit him right in the chest, but it wasn't a powerful spell; it just caused him difficulty breathing for a moment.

"No…" he wheezed.

She found her opportunity, right then, as she looked at him crouched over. "Crucio!" she cried, her voice echoing off the walls because of the volume of the curse.

***

Sirius knew he was in trouble. He couldn’t believe he’d been so stupid. He’d tried to hit her with a Stunning Spell, he’d sent enough of them, but she just kept raining the spells down on him.

Finally, he saw the movement when she stepped out. He couldn’t see her clearly, but with her moving and the lights issuing from her wand, he had a fair guess where she stood.

Just in case he couldn’t take her down, he knew she’d been trained by Voldemort himself, he sent his Patronus back to his flat to get help. “Expecto Patronum!

He did his best to dodge her spells; she wouldn’t relent, though. For every one he sent at her, she sent two or more back at him.

She called out to him using that idiotic baby voice, but his answer was barely audible. He was grunting with the effort of dodging her spells. She thought she was winning… she was. But, he’d never let on he was fast running out of steam.

His body took over and he continued to fire spells, but his mind started thinking. More than it should in a situation like this.

That was Bella at the other end of the alley. His cousin. How could he kill her? She used to be so nice to him when they were kids. She’d played with him, and laughed with him. He used to look up to her so much.

Then she joined Voldemort, but it didn’t stop her being his cousin, his favourite cousin, if he was honest about it.

His wand was getting heavy; he didn’t know how much more he could fight. If only he could hang on until James and Remus got there. He knew they would help him, that they would be more than a match for her.

He had to face it; he couldn’t kill her. Not because he was opposed to killing someone who was trying their damndest to kill him, but because she was Bella.

She got in a lucky shot; it hit him in the chest and knocked the breath right out of him. He couldn’t breathe. ”No…” he wheezed.

He went to his knees. It felt like a herd of Hippogriffs was sitting on his chest. His wand fell from his numb fingers and clattered to the pavement. He dimly heard the word he’d been dreading since he realised it was her behind him.

Crucio!

Agony… it wracked his body. There was nothing to compare to it. Every bone and muscle in his body screamed for relief. He didn’t hear the screams coming from his mouth; he couldn’t focus enough to know anything.

She lifted the spell, and he lay there panting. She put it on him twice more before he started to pass out. As her wand lifted the third time, he thought he heard running footsteps. He was barely holding on to consciousness by the tips of his sanity, but still couldn’t focus enough to know if that’s really what he heard.

Just before he passed completely out, he glimpsed her face. He might not be able to kill her, but she’d lost all semblance of sanity and wouldn’t hesitate to kill him. Ah, Bella, you used to love me, was his last conscious thought.

***

Bella's grin turned malicious as she stared at her cousin, lying still as death on the ground. She pulled up her wand arm triumphantly; glad to finally be done with this battle. But the Killing Curse died on her lips as she heard the pounding of footsteps behind her, and a voice yelling "Sirius!" in a very panicked manner.

She had a split second to decide, and in that instant her mind ran wild and the time around her seemed to stop, giving her enough time to think.

She heard two of them coming, and coming to Sirius's aid. How had she overlooked the what was so clear? That Patronus was obviously used as a message system. And now he had two coming for him. Stupid Gryffindors and their loyal friends.

Bella wanted to stay and fight them more than anything, because that was what she did. Three nineteen-year-olds shouldn't be much of a challenge; she was nine years older and trained by the Dark Lord. Still, there were three of them, against only one, and she didn't want to die ” or worse, lose the trust of the Dark Lord. She couldn't run away, because that would be just as terrible. There was nothing else. Either die, or run, but she couldn't do either of those things, not really. There had to be something else, something she didn't see.

The instant the thought came to her, she Apparated. She didn't like to call on her husband for help, but there was no other choice here; it was something she had to do, as much as she hated it.

"Rodolphus!" she cried into her house, looking around frantically but didn't see him anywhere. "RODOLPHUS!" she screamed again at the top of her lungs. He ran into the room, after what seemed like forever ” even though it had been less than a minute ” and she demanded, "Where the hell were you? Is anyone else here?"

He looked beyond startled at her frantic tone, but he answered, "Well, yes. Rabastan and Barty are here, because we were”"

"I don't care!" Bella screeched. "Get them now! I need you to help me fight!"

Without even a word of questioning, Rodolphus ran into another room to get them. She had no particular feelings for him, but even she had to admit he was useful at times like this.

Barty and Rabastan burst into the room with Rodolphus, and all three had a mad glint in their eyes that always appeared in preparation for a battle. They held onto each other so that Bella could Apparate back to the alley. How long had it taken her? Less than two minutes, certainly. Hopefully she could make it back before her enemies had a chance to escape.

***

When the Curse lifted, Sirius regained consciousness. He didn’t move. He wanted to see what she would do next before he revealed he was awake by trying to reach his wand.

Hearing the pounding footsteps and his friends yelling his name was a welcome sound. A loud crack caused Sirius to open his eyes.

Bella was nowhere in the alley. She must have Disapparated. But- where?

James and Remus reached him and did their best to make sense of Sirius’ incoherent ramblings.

“Be- Bella- Bellatrix- tri- tried- ki- tor,” Sirius mumbled blearily.

“What?” James kept his wand drawn and allowed Remus to help Sirius to his feet. “Bellatrix tried to kill you? Where’d she go off to? It’s not like her to leave something unfinished.”

Remus did some charm that Sirius didn’t catch, but the effects were immediate. He felt a lot better and was more able to form coherent thoughts and sentences.

“I’m not sure where she went, but yeah, she tried to kill me and when she missed, the Cruciatus Curse was her next option.” Sirius leaned heavily on Remus in his attempt to stand.

James and Remus started trying to figure out what to do, neither thought she’d left for any other reason than to get more Death Eaters to take all three of them on. She wasn’t stupid; she must have heard them coming and knew she’d have a hard time duelling one on three.

Sirius leaned against the wall and thought, Why would she leave? Maybe it was for help, but- Oh, Merlin…Lily! She was left behind at the flat. Maybe Bella was going after her!

Before he could voice his thoughts, Bella reappeared with a resounding crack and three more people. They didn’t even let go of each other before they started firing spells.

”Avada Kedavra!” shouted Rabastan.

”Avada Kedavra!” shouted Bellatrix.

Green light shot from four wands but none of the curses hit their marks. Sirius, James, and Remus jumped out of the way of the spells and retaliated quickly. All three jumped into the duel with vigour.

Within minutes Barty, Remus, and Rabastan were down. They weren’t dead, just Stunned. Bella and Rodolphus stood side by side facing their two opponents. Just as Bella thought she’d be able to get one of them down, Rodolphus was hit from behind.

Lily came running into the alley, and seeing her husband and friend facing two of You-Know-Who’s most fanatical supporters, didn’t hesitate to Stun the one closest to her before they realised she was there.

***

Bella knew she’d have no chance against three of them by herself but she couldn’t back down.

Sirius glanced around the alley and did an exaggerated counting of three against one, and motioned to Lily to revive Remus.

Once he was awake, Sirius smirked, “Looks like you’re well outnumbered cousin. What do you think we should we do with you?”

Bella stared at each of them. Now there were four against one! How those stupid teenagers had beat some of the most intelligent and ruthless Death Eaters was beyond her… She could only attribute it to pure luck.

Running was the last thing Bella wanted to do. The very last thing. But what else could she do? The other three were unconscious, and she would most definitely die if she stayed there.

"Fine!" she screeched, and put up a strong Shield Charm. She grabbed Rabastan, Crouch, and her husband as her four enemies began to fire spells at her that were rendered useless by the Shield.

"I'll kill you eventually, Sirius Black!" she shouted to him, her eyes narrowing and her expression looking it was made of stone. "Just wait, because I will kill you. I swear it!"

Then she spun on her heel, and Apparated with a crack back to her Lord. She left her three worthless companions in another room as she approached the Dark Lord, wanting to get it over with. She had to tell the truth, and tell it now. She couldn't stall; she couldn't make excuses. All she could do was tell Him and hope she wouldn't be killed for her loss.

"Back so soon, Bella?" the Dark Lord asked as she stood just inside the door.

She wished she could calmly explain to Him that she'd been outnumbered, and that she stood throughout the fight and had fought her best. She tried to tell Him she nearly killed her cousin, and would have done it gladly if his friends hadn't arrived. She tried to tell Him that she would kill Sirius Black eventually, just as soon as she could, and that she would never, ever stop hunting him.

But she couldn't get any of those words out, because she looked into His red eyes and changed, like she always did in His presence, because that was who she was.

"I'm sorry," she began, looking ashamed. "My Lord, I am so sorry… So, so sorry. I tried, but then his friends arrived," she explained feverishly, her words running together, as she continuously moving closer to where He was sitting. "I Apparated home and got Rodolphus, Rabastan, and Barty Crouch, but the three of them were Stunned quickly, my Lord, and, with four against just me, I knew I would die… I hope You wouldn't want me to die, my Lord, and if I had stayed there I most surely would have! So I came back here. I apologise, my Lord, because I want nothing more than to kill them for You. Have I ” Have I lost Your trust?"

"Yes," the Dark Lord answered coldly, His eyes glinting in anger.

She didn't feel any surprise as He raised His wand and laid a spell on her. Her body was pulsing with the agony of the spell she loved to use. Her voice raised hoarsely into a scream, but the pain stopped far more quickly than she would have guessed.

She stood shakily, wanting to prove that she was strong and could handle anything. "My Lord," she whispered, her throat far too sore from yelling to talk in a normal tone, "please, tell me what I can do. I would do anything for You!" she told Him truthfully, her black eyes soft, because when she was with her Dark Lord, she was different.

"You will kill him eventually," He answered, coldly.

"Of course! I will not fail You again!"

"If you fail again, you know I will have to kill you, Bella."

She looked startled for a moment, but then answered, "Of course, and You would have every right to. But I will not fail, I promise ” I swear… Is there anything else You ask of me?"

"Come back tomorrow. I think I will have another assignment for you… The Ministry is in need of a bit of pruning."

"I will kill anyone You ask of me, and do anything You ask, my Lord."

Bellatrix walked out of the room, nearly falling because of her weakness caused by the Curse. There was one thing she knew, however. Someday she would kill Sirius Black, and punish him for what he did to her. Never again would any unwilling thoughts come over her mind, because now she only wanted one thing: his life.

***

Sirius was still a little shaky and supported by James began the walk back to his flat. Remus and Lily kept their wands out, just in case more Death Eaters came to finish the job and kill them.

Stumbling up the steps, they finally made it inside and warded the door to keep out anyone who could’ve followed. James helped Sirius to a chair and he sank into it with relief.

Lily ran to the kitchen to mix a potion for pain and was back in minutes. Gulping it down, Sirius thanked her, closed his eyes and leaned his head back on the chair.

Why had she come to kill me? What threat do I make to Voldemort? Thoughts ran through his head fast and furiously.

James, Lily, and Remus were dissecting the duel aloud, but Sirius could only hear a buzzing of voices. No actual words were making it into his mind.

She’d used that curse on me once before, but this time it seemed so much more powerful. He guessed it had something to do with wanting to cause pain. The more the caster wants it, the worse the curse feels from the other end.

He’d known when he rejected her offer to serve Voldemort that it might eventually come back to haunt him. Then joining the Order of the Phoenix just added more fuel to an already out of control fire.

He believed her; she would try to kill him again. It had been right there in her eyes. She’d become so fanatical in her service to Voldemort, she’d do whatever it took to stay in his good graces. I still can’t believe she’d try to kill her own cousin, he thought. But, I’m sure if He told her to, she’d even try to kill her own husband. So, what do I matter in the scheme of things?

He did wonder how she’d tell Voldemort she failed to kill him. Would Voldemort punish her? Or would he just send her to try again, and again, until she finally managed it?

Sirius knew one thing: no matter how badly Bella, and by extension, Voldemort wanted him dead, they’d better bring more than three others to back them up next time. He wouldn’t allow his cousin the satisfaction of dying just to help her up Voldemort’s ladder of favourites.

Knock, knock, knock.

Sirius stirred himself from the chair to answer the door. The other three drew wands and aimed them at the door.

Drawing his own wand, he inched the door open to see Victoria Bauer on the other side. He’d forgotten they had planned to go out that night.

Swinging the door wide open, he ushered her inside and apologised profusely for forgetting their date.

“I’m so sorry Victoria, I got caught up in a deadly struggle for my life, and I completely forgot our date until just this moment.” Sirius sent her a pouting look that never failed to make her smile.

The others tripped over themselves trying to tell the story. All but Lily were trying to make themselves out to be the hero of the tale.

Laughing, Victoria shushed them and looked closely at Sirius. “Are you all right?”

He just grinned and said, “Of course, it’d take more than my deranged cousin to do me in.”
~End
End Notes:
A/N (R_Ravenclaw) - This is my second gauntlet, and was so much fun because Wendy was amazing to work with. I hope you enjoyed the story as much as I did writing it!

A/N(red haired mom) – I’d first like to say that writing this with Alison was fun. She’s an amazing author and just wonderful to work with. The girl, Victoria Bauer, in Sirius’ life here comes from a story Alison wrote for me for Christmas, it’s entitled Sirius’s Riddle and can be found on Alison’s Author Page.

Thanks to Sandy, Snape’s Talon, for being such a wonderful Guide through the Gauntlet. And thanks to harrypotterfangirl21 for doing such a great beta job for us. And thank you to the Title Library, and especially to megan lupin for putting this title in her list.

Please leave us your thoughts in the little box right down there. I promise to answer all of them.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=85327