Welcome Home by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
Summary:

The wizarding mothers of England have banded together after the fall of Voldemort to support one another with a common purpose: to mourn the loss of their children in the war. These grieving mothers formed a group, Hospice for the Orphaned Mothers of England (H.O.M.E.), for just that cause.

Molly Weasley stood before the assembly of H.O.M.E. and shared the story of her son, Fred. Join Molly as she imparts her personal loss and heartbreak so that the orphaned mothers know that they are, indeed, not alone.

This is ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor of Ravenclaw House, and this is an entry for the Winter Snows 09 H.O.M.E. Challenge.


Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 992 Read: 1763 Published: 01/16/10 Updated: 01/17/10
Story Notes:
I'd like to thank my wonderful beta, Apurva, for her hard work on all my Winter Snows submissions. :)

1. Chapter 1 by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor

Chapter 1 by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor

“Good evening, ladies, and welcome to the first meeting of the Hospice for Orphaned Mothers of England. This organization, generally referred to as HOME, was founded because You-Know-Who took someone from each of us; dozens of heart-broken women sit before me today because they know what it’s like to lose a child.

“Let me tell you about my son, Fred. He was my fourth of seven, beating his twin brother, George, into the world by twelve minutes…something he never let George forget. Above all, he appreciated the humorous side of life - ever since he set his first fire with fireworks; I still don’t know how he got his hands on them.

“Fred and George, inseparable since birth, became infamous throughout their tenure at Hogwarts. They exploded things, joked around, and pranked their way into more detentions than should even have been possible…and both also became Beaters for Gryffindor. They were absolutely brilliant, especially as a team. So you can imagine my lack of surprise at the number of owls I got from Professor McGonagall with wild stories of their exploits. Well, a pattern emerged quickly, and it was easy to see that their calling was humor.

“Things changed for them “ drastically - in their Seventh Year. That was the year Dolores Umbridge came to Hogwarts. She tortured students, including the twins, by forcing them to carve words into their own hands with Dark Magic.

“It was then that the students of Hogwarts, led by Harry Potter and supported by my four children who were still in school, began to fight back, learning proper Defense Against the Dark Arts on their own because that woman wasn’t teaching them anything useful. They learned from Harry, whom I will always consider a son, and those lessons have saved many children’s lives, many more than should’ve ever been necessary.

“As they learned how to defend themselves against the forces of evil that were running roughshod over our communities, they also learned a sense of purpose. They decided that what the wizarding world needed was a really good laugh, and they accordingly gave us one. After an historic incident involving brooms, Dolores Umbridge, and a ridiculous amount of fireworks, as always, my twins left Hogwarts early in pursuit of their greatest passion: comedy.

“Over the summer, two years ago, they opened Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes in Diagon Alley. They sold all sorts of items, which I’m sure will all be banned at Hogwarts any day now as well as a line of Defense Against the Dark Arts items designed to protect those who could not yet protect themselves. I was furious when they dropped out of school, but when I saw what they were doing for all of us, I gave them my blessing. Despite everything that was happening, their business prospered - like both of them tried to tell me, in times like those, people really did need a good joke.

“Then the unthinkable happened; the Ministry of Magic fell into the hands of V-Voldemort - and, as rather vocal and public supporters of Harry, who immediately became a fugitive, they fell on the wrong side of the law. George even lost an ear in an effort to help keep Harry safe so he could fulfill his birthright and defeat You-Know-Who. The loss of an ear was nothing compared to what was lost next, though.

“During the Battle of Hogwarts, when V-Voldemort was finally defeated forever, Fred and my third son, Percy, were battling a Ministry official under the Imperius Curse, and the worst thing that has ever happened to my family, something truly unthinkable, happened. Fred was murdered.

“My son, my baby boy, was dead. I would never hear him laugh, never see his atrocious table manners, and never take the mickey out of him for setting fire to something ever again. But the strangest thing happened; when our family went to the Great Hall where they were moving the wounded and the dead, we found Fred in Percy’s arms. There was a smile on his face. We were completely shattered, but somehow, seeing that mischievous grin again “ the one that we knew so well - we knew that Fred would have died all over again, because he died protecting his loved ones.

“If I told you I wouldn’t trade my life to bring back Fred, I would be lying, and I’m sure all of you probably feel the same, but my son died trying to save the world. Though he was young, so impossibly young, Fred died doing what was right, and no matter how many detentions, notes from teachers, burnt rugs and eyebrows…no matter what, I will forever remember and be proud of my son, who had become the best sort of man a mother could hope for.

"My son was a hero, and he will walk together forever with the fallen sons and daughters of everyone here today, watching out for us all and protecting us from harm better than any Shield Charm or Patronus could.

“Before you leave today, remember your lost children for what they have done for the rest of us. Some died for love, some for family, and some for freedom, but their sacrifice must be remembered every second of every day. That task falls to us, the ones who brought them into the world - to us, who knew and loved them best.

“Eventually, I will be able to remember Fred without breaking down like I am doing now, but I promise myself, my family, all of you, and, especially, Fred, that I will never forget.

“That’s all I have for you today, but, as I leave, I would like every one of you to hug the person sitting next to you, whether you know them or not, because we’re all in this together. Turn to your neighbor and welcome them HOME.”

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=85363