Regret by ron lover
Summary: When Molly is asked to speak for H.O.M.E., she chooses to speak about the loss of her son, Fred.

I am ron lover of Gryffindor writing for the H.O.M.E. prompt on the Beta Boards.


Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 832 Read: 2135 Published: 01/22/10 Updated: 01/24/10

1. H.O.M.E. by ron lover

H.O.M.E. by ron lover
Author's Notes:
I want to thank my wonderful beta, Apurva, for beta'ing this for me. *hugs*
“I am very honored that you have chosen me to speak for you.” (looks around nervously)

“Some of you have been here longer than me,” (looks to people sitting in the back of the room) “and I do not know how you handle it. I know that you “ and everyone in this room “ have lost a child during the War, and I know how hard it must be for you to cope with your loss.

“My son, Fred, is “ was “ always a carefree boy. From the time he was a baby to the time he…left us, he always had fun. His twin brother, George, was right there with him every moment. They did everything together “ I rarely ever found them apart. One time, he almost got one of his brothers to swear to an Unbreakable Vow…” (smiles fondly but sadly)

“He and his brother were Beaters on the Gryffindor Quidditch Team. I knew that they would be great for the job because they don’t like people harming their family, and the Gryffindor team was like their extended family. Being their mother, I wasn’t fond of them “ or any of my children “ playing such a dangerous game, but I knew, deep down, that they wouldn’t let anything happen to them.

“Fred may never have been as bright as other students, but he had something that few other people have: he had the power to make people laugh. I got dozens of letters from Minerva McGonagall telling me of the trouble that my twins had gotten into for their many pranks. I never imagined him leaving Hogwarts early. How could he get anywhere without having a proper education? I just wanted the best for my baby; I’m sure you can understand.” (tears up)

“He and his brother George started a joke shop in Diagon Alley. I thought it was a waste of time; making jokes isn’t the job that a bright young boy should do, you know? He didn’t listen to me, though. He is “ was “ always stubborn, but I could tell that he was sure of his choice. Besides, I couldn’t handle not talking to another one of my boys.

“Their shop was booming with business soon enough, and I knew I had been wrong. I had told him that a joke shop would get him nowhere, and that is something I regret - not believing in him from the beginning. I should have been happy for him “ he was doing what he loved, but I didn’t think it was enough.

“He took his knowledge of pranks and made things to help defend people from V-Voldemort and his Death Eaters. It was a genius idea, and I was proud that my boys thought of it.” (smiles)

“All of my family helped fight against V-Voldemort. From the moment he came back until the moment he died, I was scared for my family. The first War had been bad enough; I wasn’t ready for another. I’m sure you felt the same way when you heard that He was back. I was terrified. I tried not to let it show for my family’s sake, and they stayed strong with my support.

“Soon, more people were found dead and I was dreading when I would find out that one of the many children that died was mine.” (nods with the rest of the room)

“One night, my George came home without one of his ears “ he had been cursed with Dark Magic. As mad as I was with the person who did that to one of my babies, I could not help but be happy that only his ear was missing. I also couldn’t help being proud of my son for helping Harry Potter.

“Things only got worse from there on out. There were more attacks, and more people kept getting hurt. I cherished every moment with each of my children that I had, but it never seemed like enough.

“When the Death Eaters and Voldemort entered Hogwarts, I was outraged. Who would put all of those children in harm’s way? My husband and I got to Hogwarts as quick as we could; we found all of our kids standing there, including Harry. I wanted to yell at all of them and tell them to go home, but I had no power over them. They were all of age and they could do whatever they wanted to. They chose to fight. When they ran away to their respective places, I was lost inside. My babies were running straight into danger, and there was nothing that I could do. I could only be happy that Ginny, my daughter, would be safe at the moment.

“Now that I look back, I always slap myself for being so foolish as to let them fight. Maybe if I had been stricter, all of my babies would be alive right now.” (sobs, walks off stage, unable to continue)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=85419