Starting Over by mudbloodproud
Summary: They say when one door closes, another opens. Sirius Black hopes the saying is true because this time, he just will not give in to his mother’s demands.

This is mudbloodproud of Hufflepuff writing for the I Challenge Thee challenge for February in the Fiction Junction on the Beta Forums.

I do not own anything you recognize in this story. It belongs to J.K. Rowling.


Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1333 Read: 1880 Published: 03/14/10 Updated: 03/14/10

1. Leaving Home by mudbloodproud

Leaving Home by mudbloodproud
The knock on the door had Sirius groaning and reaching for his wand. He didn’t bother to ask who was there, he didn’t care. He had locked the door, but in a house of wizards and witches, that really didn’t matter. He heard the door open and watched as his brother walked in.

“I locked the door for a reason,” he said as he slipped his wand into his back pocket. Handy, but out of sight, he thought.

“What did you say to her?” Regulus asked angrily. “She is downstairs crying hysterically.”

“Yeah, okay,” Sirius answered. “She told me I had a choice…accept the legacy and responsibility of being a Black or move out.” Sirius nodded to the pile of clothes on his bed. “I choose the second option.”

Regulus stared as his brother. “What did you do now? She wouldn’t have given you an ultimatum like that unless you did something,” Regulus accused.

“I simply refused to attend the family gathering tonight. Sorry, not in the mood to sit around discussing the values and ideals of Voldemort supporters.” Sirius began stuffing clothes into the bag on the bed.

“Sirius””

“Leave off, Reg. You won’t change my mind. Hell, I thought you would be happy I am going. I’m sure she will blast me off the tree and then you will be the sole heir to all of this,” Sirius said as he swept one hand around the room.

“Look, I know the past few years have been…well, she has been…” Regulus looked at Sirius. “I…I don’t want you to go,” Regulus whispered. “You’re my brother.”

“Reg, I have to go. But, before I do”” Sirius moved around the bed to stand in front of Regulus. “Get away from them, Reg. They are all bad news and nothing good is going to come from hanging out with them. Hell, come with me. Get away from this family, too,” Sirius’ said, his voice begging.

For a moment, it looked as if Regulus was considering what Sirius said. It only lasted a moment and then anger crossed his face. “You have no idea what you are doing. The Dark Lord””

“Is going to get you killed,” Sirius said cutting off his brother.

“The Dark Lord is going to rule our world. And I am going to be right there beside him,” Regulus said defiantly.

Sirius shook his head before walking back to the bed. “He is not going to rule our world…not now, not ever.” Sirius once again began shoving clothes into his pack.

“You’re wrong, you know. Sirius, please, just…oh nevermind, you will do what you want and to hell with the rest of us.” Regulus turned and reached to pull open the door. Sirius’ hand slammed on the door above Regulus’ shoulder holding it closed.

“Reg, listen to me,” Sirius said as he turned Regulus around to face him. “You are on the losing side. I’m worried about you. I have a feeling this is…that you are…” Sirius’ voice broke off as he ran a hand through his hair. “Look, I know we have different views on this, but I am worried about you. I don’t want to see you end up hurt or worse…dead.”

“Like you really care,” Regulus said as he shook off Sirius’ hand which was still on his shoulder. “If you really cared, you wouldn’t be packing and leaving me here alone.” Regulus’ voice was barely a whisper on the last word.

“Reg, I do care. Come with me,” Sirius said as he put his other hand on Regulus’ other shoulder. “Get away from this house, from them.”

Regulus shook his head. “I can’t. You know I can’t.”

Sirius didn’t say answer, he just looked into Regulus’ eyes before pulling him into a tight hug. “I will tell you but don’t tell them, I am going to James’. If you change your mind…”

“I won’t, I can’t,” Regulus said but he hugged his brother back fiercely before pulling back and again reaching for the doorknob. “I love you and you will always be my big brother, no matter what.” With that said, he left the room pulling the door closed softly.

Sirius stood where he was for a few minutes staring at the closed door. “I love you, too,” he whispered. Sirius looked around his room deciding on what he could and should take with him. He knew anything he left would probably be thrown away.

He opened his school trunk and threw all the things that were scattered around his room in. Books, quills, various spell ingredients. He looked at the various pictures he had in frames set around the room. He grabbed all of the ones of him and his friends, and the one of him and Regulus from Christmas several years before.

He looked around and didn’t see anything else that he couldn’t live without. Closing his trunk, he locked it and then magically sent it on its way to James’ backyard. He wasn’t worried about using magic, not in this house. The Ministry would not know who used the magic.

Grabbing his rucksack, he glanced one more time around his room to check for anything else. Not seeing anything, he left his room. He hesitated at Regulus’ door, but shaking his head, proceeded down the stairs.

His mother must have had the house-elf watching for him to leave his room as she was standing by the front door as he came down the stairs.

“If you leave this house, you will never be welcomed back,” his mother told him in a flat voice.

“Like I would want to come back here,” he muttered under his breath. “I know that,” he said to her.

“Mark my words, Sirius Black, you will come to a dreadful end,” Walburga predicted.

“Probably,” he said smiling. “I doubt it matters one way or another to you.” Sirius stepped towards her and the door. As he got closer, Walburga stepped aside. He pulled the door open and looked back at his mother.

“Try not to ruin Regulus’ life with your nonsense,” he said as he stepped outside and closed the door behind him.

He stepped down onto the sidewalk and held out his wand hand to signal the Knight Bus. Climbing on, he gave them James’ address and settled down for the ride.

Ten minutes later, the Knight Bus stopped in front of the Potters. Sirius got off and looked at the house in front of him. He took a deep breath, walked up to the door, and knocked.

The door was opened by James’ mother. “Sirius, what are you doing here?” she asked as she motioned for him to come inside. “I didn’t know James was expecting you.”

“He isn’t. I…well…I guess you could say I was kicked out of my house. I was hoping””

“You will stay here as long as you need to,” Mrs Potter said at once. “Where are your school things?”

“In my trunk, in your backyard,” Sirius answered sheepishly. He smiled at her.

“Well, go and get them and take them up to the guest room,” she said. “James is out with his father right now, but they won’t be long. Once you get settled in, come down and join me in the kitchen for a cup of tea. I always find things easier to talk about over a good cup of tea.” She smiled at him before drawing him into a hug and then backing away, patted his cheek gently. “Go on now, get your stuff.”

Sirius didn’t know what he ever did to deserve having someone like Mrs Potter in his life. As he dragged his trunk up the stairs, he wondered what his and Regulus’ life would have been like had they had parents like the Potters.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=85665