Dancing Queen by Equinox Chick
Summary: With the loss of their favourite professor to the Death Eaters, Sirius Black declares that they need to commemorate her life in a 'Muggleish' way. So the Marauders decide to escape the confines of Hogwarts for an evening, accompanied by four Gryffindor girls. But can a drink, a dance and an infuriatingly catchy song really help them to forget?

Disclaimer: I am not JK Rowling and neither am I Bjorn or Benny from ABBA.

This story was written for an MWPP class last year. The exercise was to write a songfic paying particular attention to the era (late 70's).

Thanks to hestia jones (Natalie) for beta'ing this fic. Sorry, I kept Lily's denim skirt ...

~~~

Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2490 Read: 2620 Published: 04/25/10 Updated: 04/25/10

1. Dancing Queen by Equinox Chick

Dancing Queen by Equinox Chick
It had been Sirius’ idea “ it always was “ but the others had acquiesced readily. They wanted to do something “ anything “ to remember the Defence Against the Dark Arts professor who had left them much earlier than usual. Patience Burbage had been found dead in Hogsmeade shortly before Christmas. It was whispered amongst the seventh years that she’d been murdered by Death Eaters, but the truth was that no one really knew. Her grieving husband had visited Hogwarts with their young daughter to say thank you to the students who had greeted his wife’s lessons with such enthusiasm. His eyes had lingered on the four boys at the Gryffindor table he had heard so much about, and he’d smiled ruefully as they bowed their heads to remember their professor.

“She was a Muggle-born; we should do something Muggleish!” Sirius declared.

James had smiled slightly at the made up word, although he did not feel like laughing. “And something fun. She liked a laugh, didn’t she?” he said, remembering the vibrant young teacher who had commanded such respect from her students, especially when she worked out that the self-correcting quill she used had been charmed by Sirius to write nonsense poems.

“Ah, Mr Black,” she’d trilled, her Irish brogue making her seem even more alive, “if only your essays were written with this quill, then perhaps I could understand them.” Then she’d smiled a wide smile, and all the wizards in that class had fallen, ever so slightly, in love with her.

So, when Sirius had suggested they visit a nightclub in a Muggle town, to drink, dance and have some fun in their last Christmas holiday at Hogwarts, the other three had not demurred.

“But,” said Peter, “how will we get there and back?”

“Apparate,” Sirius replied. “We’ve all passed, so it won’t be a problem.”

“It will be while coming back,” Peter persisted. “If I’ve had any alcohol, I’ll Splinch myself.”

Sirius thought for a while, and then he smiled wickedly. “No problem, all we need are some companions, who can Apparate and who won’t drink.” He looked across the room to where Lily, Mary, and their friends were sitting. “How about we ask them?”

James snorted. “I doubt the Head Girl will want to get involved, Padfoot. She’ll cite a whole ream of reasons as to why this is utterly irresponsible.”

“Nothing ventured, nothing gained, Prongs,” said Sirius, under his breath. He turned to Remus. “Go on, Moony. Go and chat them up.”

“Why me?”

“Because, despite Prongs being the Head Boy, they still think you’re the trustworthy one. Besides, Mary still fancies you,” said Sirius as he pushed Remus towards them.

And so, whether it was Remus’ charm, or just that the girls agreed with them for once, on the first Friday of the Christmas holidays, seven Gryffindors Apparated to a Muggle town to dance and forget about the horror of the encroaching war.

“Friday night and the nights are low,
Looking out for a place to go.”


“Remember, we all have to say we’re eighteen,” muttered Sirius. “Or they won’t let us in. That’s right, isn’t it, Lily?”

She nodded. “Mmm, and also at the bar. You won’t get served if they think you’re underage.”

“Shame James couldn’t make it,” said Mary as they made their way into the gloomy-looking club.

“He’ll be along later,” replied Peter, who was looking around the place in fascination. “He had some Head Boy stuff to do. I’m surprised you’re not with him, Lily.”

“Where they play the right music
Getting in the swing.”


“What?” she asked distractedly. “Oh, Potter. No, he said he’d handle it. After all, it’s usually me that does all the work.”

“Right,” said Sirius loudly as he strove to stop Lily’s conversation from turning into a rant about responsibility. “Let’s start a kitty. What would you all like? I’ve been told that Muggles have a fantastic selection of fizzy drinks.”

Clutching the money, he walked to the bar. Lily followed; then as Sirius was ordering four babychams and three pints of beer, she interrupted him. “Martini and lemonade,” she ordered. “I know what you’re doing, Sirius Black. Babycham is practically non-alcoholic, and I thought tonight was about forgetting.” She grabbed her glass and sipped it, leaving Sirius to balance the bottles and pints on a tray.

“You’ve come to look for a king.”

“Are we dancing?” asked Lily as she gulped down her drink. “Come on, this is a good one. I heard it last summer on the radio.” She stood up and, pulling Mary to her feet, she corralled the girls onto the dance floor.

“With a bit of rock music everything is fine
You're in the mood for a dance.”


“What’s up with her?” Peter asked as he sipped his pint. “Is she drunk already?”

“Nah,” replied Sirius who was more than halfway through his beer. “She’s barely had any. I think Lily just fancies being a bit irresponsible for a while.”

Remus was watching the girls as Lily led them in some kind of complicated routine.

“And when you get the chance,
You are the dancing Queen,
Young and sweet, only seventeen.”



“I hope Prongs gets here soon,” he said, laughing. “He won’t believe his eyes when he sees her like this.”

The song ended and Mary returned to the table, giggling slightly. “Lily’s worn me out,” she said, “and I’m thirsty. Can we get some more drinks?” She looked around her. “Muggles do know how to have fun, don’t they? Those boys over there were making a lot of comments about our dancing.”

“Presumably saying how bad it was,” teased Remus as he stood up. “I’ll go to the bar. Same again?” The others nodded.

It took a while to be served as the nightclub was now filling up. When Remus got back there was a chorus of ‘At last!’ and ‘We thought you’d got lost’ as he set the tray on the table. Lily, he noticed, was already gulping at her drink. She looked determinedly bright, but there was something brittle about her smile. Before he had time to ponder her any longer, Mary dragged him onto the dance floor.

“I really can’t dance,” he said, “especially not the way these Muggles do.”

“It’s easy,” Mary replied. “Just flail your arms around a bit and whoop a lot “ that’s what Lily does.”

“Lily’s a girl,” he stated. “She can get away with looking like an idiot.”

Mary laughed, so he pulled her in closer and together they shuffled, somewhat disjointedly, across the floor. When they returned to their seats after three protracted dances, Remus saw another pint in front of him. He raised the glass to his lips but spluttered as he was slapped hard on the back. He looked up into the grinning face of James Potter.


“Prongs, you made it!” he exclaimed in delight.


“Yeah, McGonagall called it a night about half an hour ago. Personally, I think she found my methods rather tiring and will probably insist that Lily does all the patrolling from now on.” He looked round. “Where is Lily?”

“Over there.” Sonia indicated the DJ in the corner who was smiling as Lily made extravagant gestures. “She wants that song again.”

“What song?”

“You can dance
You can jive
Having the time of your life.”


“That one,” groaned Sirius. “Load of crap, but the girls seem to like it.”


James sat down and began to watch Lily on the dance floor. At first, he was amused and amazed to see her enjoying herself like that. With her hair flying wildly across her face and a wide smile on her lips, she looked to be living the words of the song.


“See that girl,
Watch that scene,
Dig in, the dancing Queen.”



Taking his eyes off her, he took in the scene at the table. Mary and Remus were laughing together. Sirius was explaining something he wanted to do to improve the engine function of his bike to a very bored looking Phyllida; Peter was chatting up Sonia who, for once, appeared to be enjoying the attention. It was now clear to James that his friends were several pints ahead of him, and he walked up to the bar to buy another round.

A loud whoop stopped him in his tracks. Lily was in the centre of the dance floor, waving her arms, miming a tambourine. A circle of Muggle men had gathered around her, all shouting suggestive remarks.

“You’re a teaser you turn ‘em on,
Leave ‘em burning and then you’re gone.
Looking out for another,
Anyone will do.
You’re in the mood for a dance.”


She was laughing uproariously, and one man approached to spin her round and round.

James walked back to the table. “We should do something,” he shouted.

“Relax, Prongs,” replied Sirius, his eyes slightly unfocused. “She can take care of herself.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of!” retorted James. “If she starts using magic, we’re all in shit.”

Without waiting for the others, James strode onto the dance floor. Standing between the man and Lily, he tried to pull her away.

“Hello, James! You made it, after all,” Lily cried. “Isn’t this just the best fun in the world?”

“Dancing Queen,
Feel the beat, on the tambourine,
Oh, yeah!”


“Lily,” he said, trying to make himself heard over the incessant thud of the music. “I think you need to sit down. Come back to the table, yeah.”

“No,” she yelled. “I’m having fun. Isn’t that the point of tonight?”

An arm wrenched him away from her, and James found himself face to face with one of the Muggles.

“You heard her, man. Now sling your hook and leave her with us.”

James stood his ground. Unable to use magic, he was rather hoping the man in front of him wouldn’t use his fists, because he was much bigger. He plucked at Lily’s sleeve. “Come on, let’s leave quietly before there’s trouble.”

Lily looked at him mutinously and then shrugged. “Okay, Potter, but only if you get me another drink.”

“Aw, love, don’t leave us,” cat-called one of the men as he pulled her arm, swinging her around to face him. He pulled her close “ too close “ and kissed her on the lips. “Things were just getting interesting.”

James swore as he saw Lily push the man off and reach for the wand, which she’d stowed under the waistband of her long denim skirt.

Again, he stepped between them. “Not here, Lily. Think of where we are.” He squared up to the man. “Touch her again and you won’t know what’s hit you.”

“What a scrawny thing like you wearing glasses is going to take me on?” shouted the Muggle menacingly.

“If I have to,” replied James. Out of the corner of his eyes he could see the others still laughing and joking at the table. He wanted to keep this situation under control, knowing that the other three -- fuelled by alcohol -- would only make things worse.

“James,” whispered Lily. “Let’s just go ... please.”

Struck by the anxious tone in her voice, James took his eye off the man and did not see the fist until it smashed into his nose. Wiping the blood away, he saw red. Swearing loudly, he lashed out at the taller man, landing a hefty punch on his jaw. The man fell over.

“Right, man,” James said scathingly. “I’m leaving now “ with the lady. If you come near us again, there’ll be more of that. Understood?”

Propelling Lily in front of him, he walked them both back to the table.

“Hey, Prongs. Whatcher done? Fallen over, or something?” asked Peter blearily.

“We should go,” he said shortly, ignoring Peter, “before there’s trouble.”

“Nah, the night is young, as the song says,” replied Sirius.

“Suit yourself, but I’m off,” James said snapping. “I don’t think having a brawl is the best way to remember Patience Burbage.”

“I’ll come, too,” murmured Lily.

Outside, the air was cold and James could see frost beginning to form in feather-like patterns on car windowpanes. They walked in silence to a quiet corner, and then James pulled out his wand. He grasped Lily by the arm and was about to turn when she stopped him.

“I’m sorry,” she began, “about your nose... and for ruining your night.”

James glowered at her, but stopped as he noticed a glimmering of tears in her eyes. “What was that all about, Lily? That wasn’t the Head Girl out there. You never lose control like that. We could have been in serious trouble there if you’d hexed that jerk.”

She laughed bitterly. “And of course I’m not in trouble now, am I?”

“What do you mean?” James asked in confusion.

“Patience Burbage, James. She was a Muggle-born... and now ... she’s dead.” She backed away from him. “Who do you think is in the most danger here, Potter? You “ Mr Pure-blood, Mary “ Miss Half-blood, or Lily Evans “ the Mudblood?

“Since she was murdered, and we all know she was, whatever the Ministry try to say, it’s brought everything closer to home. I’m not hated for what I am; it’s far worse than that. I’m despised and that scares me half to death. I’m a brave Gryffindor, but what good will that do when the Death Eaters catch up with me.”

Finally comprehending, James reached for her hand. He looked all around him, at the town with its lamplights flickering, at Muggles piling into pubs determined to have a good night out. We made a mistake, coming here tonight. This is not the way to pay tribute to our professor. We should be practising the defensive spells she taught us, he thought. He looked straight into Lily’s eyes. “You won’t be alone. Voldemort may value pure-bloods, but blood status means nothing to me “ or the others. You should know that by now.”

She nodded slightly mournfully, and then placed her head on his shoulder, “I know, that, really, but I find it hard to believe it all the time.” She shivered. “There’s so much hate, James.”

James placed his arms around her waist. It felt good having her there, and he wondered what she would do if he bent his head down and kissed her.

Lily looked up at him and yawned. “Can we go home now? I’m quite sleepy.”

James sighed at the lost moment and then chuckled ruefully. “Yeah, come on, ‘dancing Queen.’”
End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed that.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=85908