Too Rash With the Rash by Karaley Dargen
Summary: Molly Prewett and her best friend Lucy have had enough of Bellatrix Black, and so have dozens of other students. If the two girls played a prank on Bella-Cruella, as students call her when she can't hear them, they would certainly go down in Hogwarts' secret history of famous pranksters.

Their plan is easy and foolproof until another Gryffindor decides that he has been pushed around for too long, and takes a step that everyone will regret in the end.

This was originally written for the April Monthly Challenge in TTB, but turned out.. a bit too long. This is the longer, and in my opinion, much better version.

A billion thanks to Natalie for being a fantastic beta and friend!
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2511 Read: 1751 Published: 05/04/10 Updated: 05/05/10

1. Too Rash With the Rash by Karaley Dargen

Too Rash With the Rash by Karaley Dargen
“I can’t believe she did that!” Molly exclaimed, attacking her breakfast porridge with a spoon.

“I think it’s already dead.” Arthur slipped on the bench next to her. “And you spilt milk everywhere,” he said, a note of disapproval in his voice, as he wiped the table in front of him with a tissue. “Who did what, by the way?” Straightening his glasses, he looked at Molly and her friend, Lucy.

Molly was still fuming and pushing porridge around in her bowl moodily. She only rolled her eyes at Arthur’s question without even looking up.

“Bellatrix Black,” Lucy replied through gritted teeth. “She told Slughorn that Molly and I had ordered pre-made Essence of Murtlap for the First Aid Potions Project.”

“And... and did you?” Arthur asked uncertainly.

“Of course we didn’t,” Molly spat. “We would never cheat like that, especially not in Potions. She invented the whole thing to make us look bad in front of Slughorn!”

“And the way things are right now, it looks like he’s going to believe her until they are done inquiring at the local apothecaries whether there has been an order.” Lucy folded her arms in front of her chest. “I wouldn’t put it past Bella-Cruella to actually place an order in our names...”

“It’s O.W.L. year, this could seriously mess up our chances of getting into N.E.W.T. Potions. I just can’t believe she did that!” Molly finally pushed the bowl of porridge away from her. She hadn’t eaten a bite, but the contents were more or less spilt over the table by now.

“Do you know why?”

“Because she hates us stealing her thunder in Potions when Slughorn is watching? What do I know...”

“Slughorn, and dear Rodolphus Lestrange,” Lucy added. “You should see how smug she smiles at him when Slughorn goes on about her wonderful intuition... When all she really does is copy from that book her father wrote!”

“Did you know they are supposed to get married?” Arthur said.

“What, Slughorn“”

“Don’t be so daft, Lucy!” Molly rolled her eyes again. “Rodolphus and Bella-Cruella are supposed to marry “ that’s interesting. I was wondering whether she actually felt something for him; I thought the idea of Bella-Cruella having feelings was strange... But of course she would try to impress him... They are a wealthy family...” Molly’s voice trailed off as she let her gaze wander around the Great Hall.

“This weekend’s a Hogsmeade weekend,” Lucy said in a very casual tone.

“Yes...” Molly said, and drawing her attention back to the table, she continued, “Imagine what a shame that would be... You’re paired up for the perfect match on the wedding scale, and then something happens and nothing’s so perfect anymore...”

“Right, what’s the plan?” Lucy and Molly put their heads together, leaving Arthur sitting next to them somewhat lost.

“Bella usually occupies the Prefects’ bathroom in the evenings, because her hair potions take a while to act, or something like that. If she has a date for Hogsmeade on Saturday, I’m sure she’ll be in there Friday night; there has to be something we can make out of that...”

They looked over at the Slytherin table, where Bellatrix sat, straight back and chin lifted, talking to a smaller girl with very fair hair. Bellatrix’ own hair was raven black and shiny. It went down to her waist in a perfect, silky sheet.

“That’s it,” Lucy and Molly said together.

“She always puts so much stuff in her hair... It’d be hell for her if something went wrong!” Molly clapped her hands together excitedly. “Just imagine... we are going to prank Bellatrix Black... Generations of students will remember and thank us for that!”

“And how exactly are you going to do that?” Arthur leaned forward, looking at them curiously.

“No offense, Weasley,” Molly said, raising an eyebrow at him. “I don’t think you’ve got the stomach for this. Why don’t you... I don’t know... go play with some plugs before class or something?”

It came out far ruder than Molly had intended, but she really couldn’t use Arthur Weasley and his ridiculously long and lubberly limbs right now “ this was too important.

“And what makes you think I don’t have the guts?” Arthur blushed slightly and pushed his glasses up his nose.

“Oh come on,” Lucy said, unable to keep a grin from her face. “When have you ever done anything against the rules? Or rather “ anything dangerous?”

Arthur opened his mouth but no words came out; he looked at them rather sheepishly for a moment.

“Exactly.” Lucy turned back to Molly, leaving Arthur next to them looking somewhat lost.

“So what do you suggest?” Molly asked. “I was thinking, maybe blue hair...”

By the time they had finished making their plan, Arthur had disappeared, but neither of them even noticed.

***

It wasn’t until Friday that they were reminded of why they needed to go through with that plan.

“And you should see the dress robes I got for tomorrow! Actually, I need to show them to you later, after Arithmancy. They are absolutely“”

“Do you really think a bunch of fancy robes will save you, Bella?” Molly called across the corridor. “‘Cause I don’t think that they can be fancy enough to distract from that face of yours...”

Bellatrix stuck her nose up in the air, while the friend she had been talking to looked slightly at a loss.

“I’d be jealous too if I were you. I should leave you the pleasure of insulting people who can actually wear fitted robes, since you... well.” She tossed her hair back and strode off down the corridor, her friend in tow.

Molly’s face had gone scarlet, and her fists were clenched in rage.

“That’s it,” she said in a low voice to Lucy. “The hair alone won’t do. She’s really gone too far“ and in the corridor“ full with people“”

“If it’s any consolation,” Lucy said as they started to make their way to the Charms classroom, “I’d rather actually have a figure than look like a flat board like she does. No robes in the world, no matter how expensive, could be flattering on her.”

“Thanks.” Molly had her eyes fixed on the floor.

“So, what’s the new plan?”

***

The plan was easy enough. They had nicked a second sample of the Swelling Solution they had made in Potions that day and slightly modified it. Thinned out with the water of the bath, this should at least give Bellatrix a painful and very visible rash all over her skin. They had also added some Essence of Urtica “ if they had done it right, Bellatrix wouldn’t only look like the surface of the moon, but her skin would also itch like hell.

They knew that Arithmancy was Bellatrix’ last lesson that day, and that she was going to show off her new robes afterwards. She probably wouldn’t wait long to take her bath after that, so that she would be in bed after curfew “ Bellatrix wasn’t one to openly cause trouble with the teachers, and she rarely risked being caught, especially not if she didn’t couldn’t afford to be in detention the next day. And if their plan worked out “ well, Bellatrix’ Hogsmeade weekend, the robes she’d bought for it, everything would be ruined. Just the thought of this in light of all the things Bellatrix had done to them as well as to others made Molly’s heart pound in excitement.

It wasn’t too hard to get their potion into the bathroom as Molly, being a Prefect herself, had access all the time. She charmed the potion into the main hot water tap, and then stayed inside the bathroom for about half an hour. They decided not to keep a lookout for Bellatrix, but rather to stay away from the Prefects’ bathroom for the rest of the evening so as to not raise suspicions. They spent the evening in the two most comfortable armchairs in the Common Room, secretly already celebrating their victory and the fame that would come of it.

***

Another Gryffindor wasn’t in the Common Room that evening. Arthur Weasley had decided that it was time for drastic action. Molly was never going to accept him as an equal, a wizard, a man “ Arthur blushed at that last particular thought “ if he didn’t prove to her that he deserved a higher opinion than the one she currently had of him. He wasn’t some sort of“ of teddy bear. He was just as capable of getting in and out of danger as she was, and he’d prove it to her. Tonight, he would sneak into the Prefect’s bathroom and take a bath. Perhaps not the most daring expedition ever undertaken at Hogwarts, but it was a start, and it would be enough to open Molly’s eyes. He had overheard that Molly and Lucy had the plan to dye Bellatrix’ hair blue through something in the Prefect’s bathroom. They probably had bewitched the taps; Arthur would wash his own hair with the water during his bath to turn it blue on purpose. Then the next day in Hogsmeade, when he ran into Molly “ wouldn’t she be speechless! Arthur grinned at the empty corridor as the scene in his mind played out so perfectly.

He found the door to the bathroom near the statue of Boris the Bewildered, murmured “Bubbles” and, after throwing a quick glance over his shoulder, took a deep breath and entered.

***

On Saturday morning, a lot of students were pushing and shouting to get in line at the entrance doors, where Apollyon Pringle was checking whether their names were on the proper lists.

Molly and Lucy couldn’t stop grinning. So far they hadn’t seen Bellatrix yet, which could only be good news for them, as she definitely wouldn’t show her face in the Entrance Hall if their plan had worked out. This Hogsmeade weekend would be perfect, if only“

“I’m so terribly sorry, Rodolphus,” a falsely sweet voice sounded from the stairs rather loudly. Molly spun around in disbelief. There was Bellatrix Black, making the dramatic entrance she had probably carefully planned, and her skin was spotless. “Some stupid Gryffindor locked himself in the bathroom last night, so I had to take my bath in the morning, and everything just got terribly delayed.”

Rodolphus reassured her that he hadn’t been there for too long, and that her robes looked wonderful, but Molly barely heard any of that. Who had been in the Prefects’ bathroom last night?

“Pity,” Lucy muttered. “I guess it was too good to actually work out...”

“Mmh. But I wonder“ Oh no!” Molly’s eyes went wide open as she realised something. “Lucy, there’s something I have to do. I’m so sorry, go to Hogsmeade without me, maybe I can meet you there later!” And with these words, she dashed off.

***

Molly pushed open the doors to the hospital wing carefully. Only one of the beds was occupied, and as she peeked in, she saw the one head of flaming red hair she hadn’t wanted to see in this situation. She slipped inside and hurried to his bed, careful not to alert the nurse. She was a strict woman, and Molly wasn’t sure how much Arthur had told her; better not let her know more than necessary. Arthur didn’t notice Molly until she sat down next to his bed. He blinked at her weakly. It really wasn’t a pretty sight; every inch of skin that Molly could see under the pyjamas was either covered in pustules or deep scarlet red from irritation.

“I’m so sorry,” Molly said in a small voice. This was a sentence rarely heard from Molly Prewett’s lips, and almost never said in honesty, but this time she truly meant it. “We never meant for you to... Or for anyone...”

“Except Bellatrix Black?” Arthur spoke with some effort, and Molly couldn’t tell whether he was accusing her or not.

“You can’t say that she doesn’t deserve something like that,” she said defensively.

“No, I wasn’t, but“” He broke off as he pushed himself up on the bed, groaning silently in pain. “Look, Molly, you’ve got to be more careful with stuff like that. Sure it would be great for everyone if someone put Bellatrix Black in her place, but if you don’t pay attention, innocent people get hurt, and that’s just not... not fair.”

“Speaking of innocent...” Molly wasn’t sure whether it was her place to change the subject like that, but she wasn’t too keen on talking about her own failure. “How come you were in that bathroom anyway? You’re not a Prefect!”

“I snuck in there. I wanted to prove to you that I“ well, that I deserve to talk to you and Lucy even if you’re plotting against someone. Because I’m a Gryffindor too, and I’m not afraid of a bit of danger. And to be honest, it sounds like you could use someone with a moral compass in your little group.” He tried to raise his eyebrows, but flinched and had to take a gulp from a goblet that stood on his bedside cabinet.

“But why did you have to do it last night?” Molly asked, a pained look on her face.

“I heard you talk about dyeing Bellatrix’ hair blue... I thought if I went last night, I’d have the blue hair as proof to show you. I didn’t realise you’d had a change of plans...”

“How did you get in there?”

“Hufflepuff Prefect told me the password,” Arthur replied, putting the goblet back down. “She’s got a bit of a thing for me, I think.”

Molly felt her cheeks grow hot, and hoped that Arthur hadn’t seen her blush as he was busy trying to put his glasses on.

“The nurse is going to come to put this ointment on soon,” he explained as he gave up on his glasses. “You better leave, she probably shouldn’t see you here. I told her I had an accident with shaving cream, but she’s very suspicious and won’t stop asking about details. And anyway, the ointment smells like frog liver. And “ well “ I did take a bath in your potion, so I’ll have to“”

“All right, all right, I’m leaving!” Molly was blushing furiously now, something that certainly didn’t usually happen when she was around Arthur Weasley. “I just wanted to say... I’m really sorry. If I’d known, I never would have“”

“It’s all right,” Arthur said earnestly. “I just hope that you learned something from this.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=85965