The Third Option by SaladOrCellarDoor
Summary: Peter Pettigrew has fallen hard for a girl. The only trouble is, she's not his usual type...or any guy's usual type, for that matter...

“No, Remus. I like her, like her. A lot.”

“Well, you’ve got eyes, Pete. Have they been checked recently?”
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2777 Read: 1937 Published: 06/25/10 Updated: 06/28/10

1. The Third Option by SaladOrCellarDoor

The Third Option by SaladOrCellarDoor
“So, she’s a writer,” he said with an edge of uncertainty in his voice.

“Is she, Peter,” Remus replied, barely attempting to add a questioning tone to his remark. He would have loved to talk to Peter about his new friend at any other hour of the day, but at that moment he was particularly engrossed in his reading.

“Yeah. She’s really into it, too. Did you know that?” Peter asked, fishing for more information on the girl.

“Why would you expect me to know that?” Remus asked. He hoped that Peter would take the hint and save the conversation for dinner. But he knew better than that; Peter was impatient, and to him, half an hour was an eternity.

“I don’t know. I guess I figured maybe since she was sort of a family friend you might know a bit more about her.”

“We’re not as close as we used to be,” Remus half-lied. In truth, he didn’t know her too well, but he could probably give Peter the information he was fishing for.

“You used to be close?” asked Peter, his hope evident.

“Not us. Our families,” Remus replied, already regretting that he hadn’t chosen to read in his room rather than the library.

“Huh,” Peter paused, gathering his thoughts. “Well, but I though maybe since you also like to write””

“I don’t know any more about her than you do,” Remus finally said, tired of fending off conversation. He could tell that his friend really needed help, but he wasn’t willing to give it to him until after he reached the end of the chapter.

“Oh. Well I was really hoping you did. I like her.”

“Yes, she’s a nice girl. I don’t really think I’ve heard anything around the school about someone not liking her,” said Remus. He hoped that stringing two full sentences together would allow him some peace. He only had a few more pages to go before he would be willing to give Peter his undivided attention.

“Remus, would you get your snout out of that book for a minute? I’m trying to talk to you!” Peter burst, unable to keep in his emotions.

“Hey, no fair with the ‘snout’ comment!” Remus slammed his book shut and put it down on the table, finally surrendering.

“Sorry. I’m just a little nervous right now,” Peter said. His apology was sincere, but Remus wasn’t willing to let him off the hook so easily. He only had a few more days before the full moon, and he was trying to finish his book before then.

“A little? You’re biting your nails, and you’re interrupting my hour of solitude with Vonnegut!”

“I didn’t mean to, but it’s really an emergency. And if that book is honestly about cats in a nursery, I don’t understand why you’re so finicky about being parted with it.”

“What’s got you so worked up?” Remus asked, finally forgiving him and quite interested in what he was about to say.

“It’s Janie Parkinson!”

“Didn’t you just meet her a few weeks ago?”

“Yes.” Peter’s voice was sheepish and quiet. He seemed to realize that his behavior didn’t make much sense, but there was a helpless look about him.

“Then I don’t get what the big deal is. She’s nice, anyway. What’s the trouble?”

“I like her, Remus,” Peter answered, letting out a huge breath. Remus hadn’t even noticed that his friend hadn’t been breathing for the past minute or so.

“Yeah, you and everyone else who’s ever met her. I don’t think she has any enemies, honestly.” Remus was confused as to what the problem was. Peter seemed to get along well with mostly everyone he met, and Janie certainly wasn’t the sort of girl to give anybody trouble.

“No, Remus. I like her, like her. A lot.” He stressed the last word in a way that made his intentions unquestionable, but Remus still choked on nothing in particular. His expression of shock would have led anyone else to believe Peter had just kissed him.

“Is that a joke?” he let out involuntarily.

“I’m trying to have a man to man here, and you’re laughing about it!” Peter said. He had just about had it with Remus, but he wasn’t willing to leave. He knew that his best friend was the only one who could help him out in this situation, and he had to give him the benefit of the doubt, knowing that the end of the month was approaching.

“Well, you’ve got eyes, Pete. Have they been checked recently?” Remus asked. He tried to hold in his laughter, but it was a difficult task.

“That’s shallow. I came to you because I expected that sort of response out of James.”

“I’m sorry, I am. It was rude of me,” Remus said. He had completely lost interest in his novel by now, and was fully engrossed in Peter’s hilarious situation. “It’s just…Wow, I wasn’t expecting that.”

“Yeah, well, me either,” said Peter, and the two sat in silence for a couple of minutes before he asked, “So what do I do?”

“I mean, you clearly like her. Nobody would joke about that, not even Sirius. Chances are, you’ve got a great shot at it, too. You’re a decent looking guy, and you’re a ten next to Planie Janie.”

“I don’t want her to go out with me just because I’m the only guy who will take her out, though.”

“I’m sure you’re not the only guy who would take her out. I was exaggerating a bit. She’s got a good figure,” he said. Remus realized that although he was telling the truth, he knew he didn’t sound too convincing. “And like I said earlier, she’s a very nice girl,” he quickly added.

“But you know how you reacted. I want her to actually like me and not just get excited that a guy is asking her out as more than a friend.” Peter was surprised with himself. Generally, if he found himself liking a girl like Janie Parkinson, he would be more worried about what the rest of the students would say. Now, however, he was more concerned about her feelings.

“You’ve got to listen better, Pete. I just told you that you’re a catch, OK?” said Remus, hoping that his friend wouldn’t be so hard on himself.

“Not convincing coming from a straight guy who’s also my best friend,” Peter said, a sly smile on his face. Remus gave him a playful shove, but he was happy to see the sarcastic Peter he liked best.

“Well, you’ve clearly tried getting to know her better, right?”

“Yeah, like I said. Weren’t you listening?” Peter asked, although he already knew the answer.

“Only partially. But you said she’s a writer or something, yes?”

“Yeah, she likes to write a lot,” Peter replied. He was actually surprised that his friend had been paying attention, though only remotely.

“Do you know what she writes about?”

“She writes romances and such, I think. Not really too interesting, but she was describing one, and it sounds like it’s also sort of a mystery. I don’t really know, but it sounded cool. She’s got, like, three notebooks full of just notes on her characters. Drawings, you know? And she read some to me, too.”

Remus was impressed. Peter had clearly tried to get to know her a lot better. Of course, Peter always had a knack for getting to know people well. Whenever the Marauders were up to no good, they could always count on Peter to know all of the important gossip around the castle so they wouldn’t get caught. A lot of people simply found him easy to talk to. Whatever his trick, it was apparent it had also worked on Janie.

“Was it any good?” Remus asked, curious to see if this girl had any talent.

“I don’t know! It was poetry,” Peter admitted. The boys had caught Sirius writing some poetry the other day, and they had all been stunned to find that they could not understand a single word of it, even Remus.

“She didn’t read any of her books?”

“No. She said they’re nowhere near as good as Austin’s, so she wasn’t ready to show them to the world. Who is this Austin kid, anyway? Is he a ‘Puff or something, because I don’t know him, but all the girls are obsessed with him. He seems sappy like a ‘Puff to me.” Peter had a thing against Hufflepuffs, which Remus attributed to his unrequited second-year crush on Gail Diggory, though Peter would never admit to it.

“Austin isn’t a boy, Pete,” Remus said between chuckles.

“You know her then? She’s a ‘Puff, right?”

“No, man. She’s been dead for forever,” said Remus, still unable to contain himself. He was far more in tune with the Muggle world due to his habit of reading popular Muggle literature before his monthly transformations, so it always amused him to see how clueless his friends were about the world that practically surrounded them.

“That’s sad,” sad Peter. He was more confused than ever as to why this Austin girl had made such an impression on the girls of the school, and yet he had never heard of her. “Why is everyone so obsessed with her, then?”

“She’s a Muggle author. Austen: A-U-S-T-E-N,” Remus said, finally unable to take it any longer.

“I’m sure Janie’s stuff is better. She’s brilliant!”

“But you couldn’t even understand her poetry.”

“Yeah, but that’s the mark of a true poet,” Peter said, repeating what Sirius had said earlier that week.

“You could get her a quill,” Remus suggested, steering the conversation back toward the matter at hand.

“She has three of them. They’re really nice, too. One is gold tipped. I can’t beat that!”

“Maybe a journal?”

“She’s got a bag just full of them. Mostly blank, but all different colors. She says depending on the idea they go in a different colored journal. All I remember is that personal thoughts and opinions go in the brown leather one, and it’s kept in the outside pocket of her bookbag for easy access,” said Peter. He looked to Remus with a crooked smile on his face, hoping for a sign of approval.

“You sneak!” Remus was unable to hide the fact that he was impressed with his friend’s work.

“I just paid attention and did my homework, that’s all,” said Peter, rubbing his chest. He made no effort to hide his glowing look of pride.

“You could get her a book. Austen, maybe?”

“She has all of his”um, her”books already.”

“Well what doesn’t she have? I’m running out of ideas here.” It didn’t matter how badly Remus wished to help his friend. He simply had no idea how to go about it, and though Peter had clearly put great effort into learning more about the girl, it wasn’t enough.

“A boyfriend,” replied Peter, even though he knew Remus would get annoyed with his obvious reply.

“Come on, I’m trying to help you now.”

“If I had any better ideas, I’d be with her right now, not in this library with you, Remus,” Peter said. “No offense,” he quickly added so that Remus wouldn’t take his comment the wrong way.

"Well, I'm really at a loss. I would love to help you here, Pete, but this one really falls on you." Remus had just brought his book up to his face when his eyes got a mischievous little glitter in them. He put the book down, his face doing little to hide the fact that he had just concocted a brilliant plan for his friend. Peter waited in anticipation.

"How do you feel about Janie Parkinson?" Remus asked.

"You're no help at all. I already told you, I really like her," said Peter, ready to admit defeat.

"No, no, no. That won't do. I'm asking, how does she make you feel?" The way he worded the question, ideas and images started flooding into Peter's mind. It didn't take long for him to start spewing out answers.

"Well, when I see her smile, it means more to me than when anyone else smiles, because her happiness is contagious. I love the sparkle of life in her eyes when she talks about her books or her writing. She does this cute thing when she walks where she sort of skips every now and then, and that bounce in her step makes me realize that it's good to be alive. Her hair is always in a state, but I like that. It shows that she doesn't care what's on the outside of people, and I'm always wondering what people think of me. She helps me to forget. I like the way she says my name. She says it in a way that makes me feel welcome and wanted. I love it when she asks for help. It's cool how comfortable she is with herself. I guess I see everything in her that I wish I could see in me, and maybe if we go out, if I'm lucky, it will rub off on me. Because I'm trying to be better, and she makes me feel like there's hope, like there's a goal that I'm working toward. And that's a very special sort of girl, I guess. I don't know. She's different."

"She's also standing right behind you," said Remus with a triumphant smirk on his face. Peter didn't turn around because he didn't want Janie to see his blotchy, blushed face. He gave Remus a death glare to which his friend only responded by collecting his book and waving goodbye as he left the library.

"Uh, when did you get here?" asked Peter without turning around.

"Just in time, I suppose," she answered.

"You know," he said, finally turning around, "it's rude to eavesdrop."

"And I thought it was rude to talk about a girl behind her back."

"It was only nice things! And it wasn't behind your back. It was right in front of you, eavesdropper," he said, though there wasn’t much of a complaint in his voice. It was difficult to stay angry with her for long.

"Will you forgive me?" she asked, her eyes full of genuine concern.

"Yeah. But this sort of ruins the surprise. See, I was trying to think of something I could get you to ask you out. But you've got quills and journals and books..."

"I don't have a boyfriend," she said, cutting him off.

"Funny you should bring that up, actually. I listed that one, too."

"Well, do you want to do something about it?" she asked with a different sort of look on her face.

"Is that a trick question?" he asked. Peter was genuinely confused by the change in her tone.

His doubts were quickly abated as she leaned in to kiss him on the cheek, leaving Peter redder than he had been earlier. This time, however, he didn't mind who saw his blotchy face.

"So, I take that as a 'yes,' then?"

"A yes to what, Peter?"

"Would you like to be my girlfriend?"

"Oh, that!" she said, putting on her best expression of mock surprise.

"Yes, that."

"As a girl who usually has all the right words to say, I honestly can't think of the right ones to express my answer."

"It's as simple as a 'yes' or a 'no,'" Peter said, his disappointment evident in his voice.

"No, it's not. You forgot the third option," she said playfully.

"There is no 'maybe' option," Peter replied, not noticing the friendly tone in her voice.

"Not that. The third option is much more certain. It's far better than a word."

"Care to share it before I have an anxiety attack?" Peter asked, desperate for a response.

He didn’t have to wait long. Janie flashed him a smile of pure happiness before leaning in for a kiss.

“I like the third option best,” smirked Peter, his arm around his new girlfriend as they left the library to head out to dinner in the Great Hall.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=86321