Perfect First by Hermiones Kneazle
Past Featured StorySummary: Hermione is at her first dance and on her first date, but the night for firsts is still young at the Yule Ball.

Here she was, dancing and laughing like she hadn’t in ages with none other than Viktor Krum. Hermione had never had much time for romance and boys, or even Quidditch at that. So how was it she was being swept away by the youngest and most famous Seeker in the world?
Categories: Hermione/Other Character Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1831 Read: 2369 Published: 07/03/10 Updated: 07/05/10

1. Perfect First by Hermiones Kneazle

Perfect First by Hermiones Kneazle
She didn’t know how the evening could be more perfect.


Here she was, dancing and laughing like she hadn’t in ages with none other than Viktor Krum. Hermione never had much time for romance and boys, or even Quidditch at that. So how was it she was being swept away by the youngest and most famous Seeker in the world?


The music changed as she wondered at where she found herself. The tempo had moved from the dizzying and high energy dancing to a slower, mournful, romantic tune. Viktor twirled her one last time so they were facing each other. A strong and calloused hand tucked under her chin and lifted her eyes to his warm, dark ones.


“May I haff this dance, my lady?”


A playful smile arose to her lips. Her eyes twinkled gleefully and she nodded. Viktor’s usually stony face broke into a wide grin as he exuded happiness and excitement. Hermione wasn’t even sure this was real, and she half-expected Ron to barge onto the scene, ruining everything.


His massive hand snaked around her waist to cradle the small of her back as hers rested tentatively on his solid shoulder. She inhaled sharply when their other hands met, feeling a small spark by their contact. He pulled her into a slow waltz with the same delighted smile, nearly lifting her off her feet. Their dancing together felt effortless, like they had been made for this moment. The more they floated through the crowd, the more apart from the mass they became. She was unaware that anyone but Krum existed when he pulled her close enough for their bodies to touch.


Wood. He smelled of wood, and fur, and “ she couldn’t put her finger on it. Oh, yes. He smelled of new parchment. She made a bold choice, lying her head on his chest and burying her face in the soft fur of his robes, inhaling deeply the unmistakable scent of a man. She had never smelled someone so deliciously appealing and comforting.


A soft chuckle reverberated through his body, awakening her from the mesmerizing aroma.


“Herm-own-ninny, you are most beautiful girl I haff ever seen. You haff eyes that sparkle like diamonds, yet you hide in robes. Vill you keep me from looking at them?”


She laughed and reluctantly pulled away, grabbing his hands. “I’m sorry, Viktor. You are just so comfortable and,” she continued rather shyly, “you smell fantastic.”


Viktor’s look of soft confusion quickly changed as he let out deep, booming laughs. Hermione tried to hide her embarrassment by staring intently at her new shoes. When his laughing finally stopped, she felt safe to look, and saw his eyes glittering a bit mischievously.


“Vell, perhaps valtz has you tired, and needing rest? Ve could valk by the lake in chill to vake you up, if it vould please you.”


Hermione may have been inexperienced with this side of boys, but even she knew he was asking for alone time. It was to her great surprise that she was simply excited by the prospect and not at all wary of him. She managed to squeak out a yes before taking his proffered arm, as he led her from the Great Hall.


The evening was breath-taking. A soft layer of snow blanketed everything and the sky was crystal-clear, letting the stars sparkle brightly against the blackness of night. The air was crisp and cool, invigorating her to the core. As they headed towards the crystalline lake, the chatter and laughter from the castle disappeared into the snow. Before long, she could only hear their footfalls on the path and the sounds of their jagged breathing in the frigid air. When they reached her favorite tree to read beneath, they stopped.


Viktor turned to face her, gently putting her hands in his. His face scrunched a bit as he searched for the right words. Hermione found herself unable to speak, so simply waited.


“You,” he began, “are not like other girls. You do not try to “ seduce “ me, or impress me, or make me notice you, yet “ you do all tvice over. Other girls nothing but empty heads vith big “ “ he cupped his hands at his upper torso and motioned.


Hermione couldn’t help but start giggling uncontrollably. The truth of his words coupled with the image of a large, surly Bulgarian acting out the word ‘breasts’ was too funny to ignore. The more she pictured it, the funnier it became until she was positively snorting with laughter. Her laughter first caused him to smile before turning to bewilderment. His expression almost sent her into a new fit of hysteria, but she managed to rein it in to the occasional chuckle as she breathed.


“Did I say vrong? I vos only trying to say “ “


She cut him off. “I know what you were trying to say. It’s just, I’m glad someone finally agrees! It’s funny because it’s true. I promise, you didn’t say anything wrong!” She smiled encouragingly at him, urging him to continue whatever he needed to say.


“Alright, vell, you are much more than girl. You haff brains, talent, and are beautiful. You look like goddess tonight, but I vonder, vhy did you change?” His expression was so endearing and curious, that she felt rather ashamed and couldn’t meet his eyes.


“I “ I guess I wanted to try to look like I deserved to be on your arm tonight, like the rest of the champions and their dates. I know I don’t usually take care of my appearance and don’t care what other people think, but this wasn’t really about how they viewed me; it was more about how they viewed you. What I mean is “ I wanted to look nice for you.


He was quiet for so long that Hermione was sure she had said something very wrong, so began backtracking. “Viktor, I’m sorry, I’m not “ “


“Herm-own-ninny,” he breathed, “there is no other girl as can compare to you. I vant to be around you and be vith you. The only thing I vant you to be is you. If you vant to sleek your hair, fine. If you vant to vake up in morning and say ‘hello’ to me as is, is fine also. If you get beard in class accident, I vill pretend is gone.”


“What if I grow fur to look like a cat?” She half-laughed, remembering back to her second-year.


“I vill ask to pet you,” he said simply.


Hermione lifted her eyes back to his at last, seeing his lips twitch with amusement. She exhaled a bit and allowed herself to smile.


“I’m sorry I decided to be so vain tonight. But “ “ she smiled teasingly at him “ “ if you really want, I suppose I could go change into something like work clothes.”


His eyes swept over her entire figure, looking a bit hungry. “Vell,” he sighed as if settling, “I guess this vill vork for now. I vill make do.”


They looked into each others’ eyes, happy. The moment was shattered when she involuntarily shuddered.


“I am so sorry, Herm-own-ninny! I forget, is very cold for you. I vould offer you coat, but I haff none.” Goose-pimples had erupted on her skin. Viktor seemed to panic a bit at her discomfort, so instinctively pulled her into a great bear-hug. She immediately relaxed. With his sweet smell in her every breath and his chiseled arms protecting her, she was carefree. Nothing in the world mattered: not cold, not studies, not even Ron. Hermione could have stayed there forever.


After a while, she felt him pull away from her just at bit. She looked to him quizzically, rather resentful of leaving her haven. His face had an odd expression on it.


“I don’t vant to lose you after tonight or even after this year. I haff never met a girl like you, nor haff I cared about one like I do you.” She felt a shiver run through her that was entirely unrelated to the cold. “May I “ kiss you?”


Her eyes grew wide as saucers and she found herself nodding a ‘yes’. Her brain jammed. She was so nervous that she barely felt a calloused finger brush back a stray hair and the hand it was attached to cradle her neck. Every inch of skin was on pins and needles as he moved towards her, as if in slow-motion. She closed her eyes, whether from fear or excitement, she didn’t know.


His rough and warm lips found her own, pressing gently into her yielding skin. She was his at that moment, totally and completely. Hermione wasn’t over-analyzing or dissecting, she just let emotion and Viktor envelop her. She returned the pressure to let him know it was ok before they both moved away.


Hermione had always thought the saying about ‘fireworks’ was ridiculous, but now she understood. She had lights popping in front of her eyes every time she blinked and she thought she might burst with happiness. Judging from the rather dazed expression he was wearing, he wasn’t feeling any different. It was perfect. The place was perfect, the night was perfect, and he was perfect. Hermione found herself unable to form full and coherent thoughts. She was very grateful, then, when he took her hand and began heading back to the Great Hall, smiling down at her with soft, dancing, deep chocolate eyes.


She should have been relieved at the change in temperature, but she found she was quite warm already. They probably both looked a bit like goons with their uncontained happiness. It seemed only a moment before they were at the foot of Gryffindor Tower.


“This is vhere I leaff you. Thank you for gracing me vith your company this evening. I am yours, Herm-own-ninny.”


“And I, yours. Thank you for a wonderful evening; I will never forget it,” she said sheepishly. Hermione flashed him a small, crooked smile, “Can we spend time together again, soon?”


His smile was so big, she wasn’t sure how it was contained by his lips. “I vould love for nothing more. Until then,” he bowed and kissed her hand. After a moment of debating, he closed the distance between them, leaving a gentle, burning kiss on her cheek. “You know vhere to find me,” he whispered in her ear.


Viktor straightened, nodded, and turned back towards his ship. She couldn’t look away from his handsome figure until it was no longer in sight. Hermione turned to ascend the stairs, head awhirl. He had really kissed her. She really had her first kiss. With Viktor Krum. She never thought this really could happen; it had just been a sort of fantasy. She felt dizzy and giddy, like the stupid grin she wore would never disappear.


She would have to be spending more time in the library.
End Notes:
Please comment, this is my first one-shot!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=86374