A Fireside Chat by Quillwork1313
Summary: Excerpt from chapter 2:

Suddenly, he heard a rustling, cracking noise. His eyes snapped open, and he saw a young man sitting to his right, prodding the fire with a stick. For a moment, he thought it was Ron and he opened his mouth to ask him how he had snuck up on him. But just then, the man turned his head toward him, and it was not Ron.

George jumped up, startled so fiercely that he drew his wand, pointing it at the last of his brothers he had expected to see.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 4661 Read: 8239 Published: 07/28/10 Updated: 08/24/10

1. An Inspiration by Quillwork1313

2. The Clearing by Quillwork1313

3. Surprised To See Me? by Quillwork1313

An Inspiration by Quillwork1313
Harry sat in the grass, looking out at the surrounding grounds and breathing in deep breaths of fresh, free air. He looked around him, seeing groups of two or three people walking here and there around the grounds, no doubt enjoying the warmth of the sun, taking in the sight of it reflecting off the lake, which shimmered radiantly.

Harry knew they, like him, were thinking of how fortunate they were that they had made it through the day to be able to enjoy such a common sight as a sunset, a sight that so many took for granted. Only hours before, the school and grounds were littered with the bodies of the wounded and the dead, friends and Death Eaters alike. Now there were just the broken tree limbs and bits of the castle wall lying about the grounds.

Harry had just barely gotten away from his friends, almost having to resort to hiding under the Invisibility Cloak to escape the people constantly wanting to talk to him, congratulate him or ask him for his opinion on their next plan of action. Although there were plenty of more experienced witches and wizards that could handle everything, most people seemed to be coming to him; he had become even more of an idol than before. But of course, he had to admit, he had expected nothing less.

He knew there was so much to help with, but he had to have just a moment of peace, a moment of freedom, before he must go back to see the faces of all those who had survived, and to not see the faces of those who had not.

Deciding he wanted to take a walk, he stood up and started toward the lake when he heard a call from behind.

“Harry.”

He almost groaned aloud at the thought of being caught sneaking off. But as he turned, he was slightly surprised as he saw George Weasley walking toward him from the steps. As he approached, Harry surveyed him. George’s overall appearance wouldn’t give away anything that was going through his mind at that moment. He was walking tall, his face composed. Just his eyes normally clear and bright, were dark, exhausted. He appeared to be almost the same as always, although Harry knew better.

Harry had been there, when he had thought that the world around him had exploded, and he remembered the most awful sense of dread that had followed as the dust cleared and he had seen Ron and Percy leaning over a body, that of their brother Fred, George’s twin. He pushed back the memory and replied, “George. How are you doing?”

George made no reply but cocked an eyebrow and Harry knew how stupid the question had been. But George seemed to understand and simply said, “How about you?”

Harry also shrugged, and said, “As well as can be expected.”

There were a few uncomfortable seconds of silence, and then George said, “You were brilliant, you know.”

“Huh?”

“You know; when you killed Voldemort, evil dark lord bent on ruling the world, remember?” Harry thought that this was intended to be a joke, but George wasn’t smiling.

“Oh, right. Thanks,” he replied. “George, I”“

“I don’t want to hear an apology, Harry,” George cut him off. “You and I both know it wasn’t your fault. He knew the risks. We all did.”

Harry glanced briefly at the dark hole in the side of George’s head where his ear had once been. He had heard this speech before and didn’t want to let it stand this time, but didn’t want to argue with George either.

To break the silence that had fallen over them, Harry said, “You want to take a walk?”

George nodded and followed as Harry turned and headed toward the Forbidden Forest.

They were silent for a while as they walked along the edge of the forest, stepping over or walking around fallen branches, Harry occasionally waving to passersby who called greetings to him.

Finally, George spoke. “Percy thinks it’s his fault.”

“Why?”

“He said that if he hadn’t come back, Fred wouldn’t have been with him to follow him down that corridor.” There was a pause, and then, “I know it wasn’t his fault. I should have told him.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“I didn’t really know what to say, so I didn’t say anything.”

Another pause.

“I wish I knew who did it. It would be easier in the long run, I think, if I knew he didn’t just die by chance.”

Harry was surprised that George could speak so freely about it. He did not seem to have made any restrictions to himself, no barriers he wouldn’t let himself cross. Harry suddenly admired George more than he ever had before. He remembered that he had wanted to tread lightly on the subject, but found himself asking, “What would you do if you knew who did it?”

George did not seem to have an answer to this. They just continued walking until Harry suddenly realized where they were. This spot, just on the border of the forest, was where he had spoken to Lupin, Sirius and his parents using the Resurrection Stone. And then he had an inspiration.
He was just going to wait for the right moment…

“Hey, Harry,” George said, stopping. “You mind if I go on by myself? I need some time”alone.”

“Sure, of course,” Harry said. He had to act now. “George, before you go, I need to ask you something.” He paused, thinking about how to phrase this. “If you could have a chance to talk with Fred again, would you do it?”

George stood frozen, staring at Harry with an unreadable expression. The longest silence fell over them, Harry’s eyes never leaving George’s as he awaited an answer, although he already knew what that answer was.

Finally, George said, “Of course.”

Harry took a breath before responding. “I need you to do something, alright? You see those trees right there?”

George nodded.

“Just walk through those trees in a straight path. Before long you’ll come to a clearing. There’s something there you need to see.”

George looked puzzled. “What do you mean?”

“Listen, it’s important, okay? Just do it for me.”

“Harry, what is it you want me to”“

“Do it for Fred.”

George looked slightly taken aback. “I don’t understand, Harry.”

“Just trust me,” Harry said. Then he turned and started back toward the castle, leaving George standing alone by the forest.
The Clearing by Quillwork1313
George walked among the dark, intimidating trees in a straight path just as Harry had told him. Although he didn’t scare easily, the dead silence of the forest, combined with his current state of mind, had begun to unnerve him. Not to mention the sun had begun to set. He judged that there was only about half an hour of light left.

In the distance, there was howling, the only sound George had heard since he had entered the forest. He took out his wand and muttered, “Lumos.” His wand tip lit up to guide him through the growing darkness.

I must be out of my mind, he thought to himself. Searching for a clearing I’ve never been to, in the dark, no less, because Harry thought it would somehow do Fred justice. But it doesn’t matter a goddamn bit because Fred is gone, what would he care?

He had wanted to be alone, but now that he was, he felt isolated, as if he had stepped into a different world only he inhabited. He imagined that that was just what had happened: that the ghostly trees towering over his head and the mist that had begun to hang over the ground had become his domain. With the silence pressing in on him, weighing heavily on his chest, he had never felt more alone.

And yet, he also found the silence comforting. He let his mind wander. He thought back to what he had said to Harry about Percy. He looked back on it now and felt ashamed by what had passed between him and Percy. It had been just before George had gone outside and found Harry. He had been walking toward the oak front doors when he’d heard Percy call his name. He had said he wanted to talk to him, and so they had sat down in the entrance hall against the wall, not looking at each other:



“We haven’t really had a chance to talk,” Percy said.

“About what?” George said stubbornly.

“You know what I’m talking about.”

“Alright then, I'm listening.”

“George… I just want to know how you are doing. I mean, what you’re thinking about all this. You know what happened and how it happened, and I just need to know…” he trailed off. George waited patiently. “You understand it was an accident, don’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Right. I just wanted to make sure that you’re not going to…um…try anything”“

“What do you mean?”

Percy’s face reddened and he said sheepishly, “Well, George, you’re not exactly one to sit by quietly when you think something needs to be done.”

“What needs to be done, Perce?” George looked sideways at Percy. He could tell that his brother was uncomfortable, and felt a grim sort of amusement.

“That’s just it,” Percy said. “Nothing needs to be done. There’s nothing anyone can do to change anything. No one’s to blame”“

“Percy, do you think I want revenge? Who could I get revenge on? I don’t even know who did it, no one does.” It suddenly greatly irritated him that neither of them would say what “it” was. He just wanted to scream it aloud: Fred is dead!

“Alright,” Percy said, holding up a hand to calm him. “I was just wondering. You’ve been rather quiet; everyone is beginning to worry about you.”

“What did you think I would do?” George continued, his voice growing just a little too loud, angry that Percy was making such assumptions. “Go on a killing spree? It might not have even been a Death Eater; it could have been anyone! How do you know what I would do? I know I have a tendency to be rebellious, but I haven’t changed that much since you walked out on us”“

“You are still angry with me.” Percy’s voice was calm and quiet. It was a statement, not a question. He held George’s gaze until George was forced to look away. Then George admitted:

“Yes.”

Out of the corner of his eye, Percy nodded. “Do you blame me for what happened to Fred?”

“What?”

“He was with me. If I hadn’t been there, Fred would have been somewhere else.”

“You don’t know that.”

“George, please answer me. Do you blame me?”

George couldn’t answer. He stood up and, without looking at his brother, strode out the front doors.



Fred had forgiven Percy for leaving. He was sure of it. He knew that if Fred were there, they would be together, laughing away the horrors that the day had held. He thought of the many happy times; being Beaters on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, playing practical jokes on Percy, inventing sweets and gadgets that they had dreamed they would one day sell in their own shop…

The joke shop. What was to become of it now? Could he work up the courage to go back? Or would he let it collect dust in the back of his mind for the rest of his life”

He awoke from his reverie as he stumbled on a stray root blocking his path. Catching himself, he looked ahead and realized that the trees were opening up in front of him. He walked on, coming to a halt a few feet from the entrance to a wide open clearing. He raised his lit wand over his head to get a better view.

The clearing was lined with large, shimmering webs, which George knew were from the spiders that had rampaged through the school earlier that day. In the center, there was what looked like the remnants of a bonfire, the only visible object in the clearing. The moon had begun to glow, casting its light down to highlight the trees on the other side. But what was here? What was he supposed to see that was so important?

Only hours ago, and unbeknownst to George, this very clearing had been a sight for a gathering; that of Death Eaters, all huddled around the fire, with Voldemort waiting patiently for Harry Potter to give himself up to him, which is exactly what Harry had done: He had appeared in the opening of the clearing, as George had just done, and looked out at the faces of the Death Eaters, and Voldemort’s slanted red eyes, gazing curiously back at him. It was at about this time that Harry had dropped something he had been clutching in his hand: something that had brought him much comfort on his walk toward imminent doom…

George took a step into the clearing, and as he did, his wandlight passed over the ground before him and something glinted. George looked down and saw a stone, round and smooth with a crack running through the center, big enough to fill most of his palm, he found, as he picked it up. He stared at it for a moment, wondering about this rock that seemed out of place, almost as if someone had put it there for him to find. Was this what he needed to see? But it couldn’t be. It was just a stone. What could it do for him?

Taking the rock with him, he continued forward. He went and sat in the center, facing the pile of charred wood. He took a deep breath and looked around him. Unlike the rest of the forest, the clearing had a peaceful air about it. Despite the moonlight, it was getting too dark to see what was around him. He pointed his wand at the firewood and lit a fire, then extinguished his own wandlight.

He closed his eyes and began to turn the rock in his hand, continuing to take in deep breaths. He knew that his family would be worried if he did not return soon, but at that moment he did not care. He just wanted to be free of thought for only a little while even though he couldn’t stop the onslaught of waking nightmares racing through his mind.

To calm himself, he began thinking of what life had been like, because he knew that life has he had known it was changed forever. He thought back to the night when he had been attacked by Snape, when he woke up and saw his family standing around him, saw Fred, remembered the feeling of relief he had felt when he saw him, pale and shaken, but alive. He tried to picture Fred’s face lighting up when he’d realized that George was alright and telling him how pathetic his ear jokes were. At this memory, George tried to force a smile, but found that he couldn’t.

Suddenly, he heard a rustling, cracking noise. His eyes snapped open, and he saw a young man sitting to his right, prodding the fire with a stick. For a moment, he thought it was Ron and he opened his mouth to ask him how he had snuck up on him. But just then, the man turned his head toward him, and it was not Ron.

George jumped up, startled so fiercely that he drew his wand, pointing it at the last of his brothers he had expected to see.
Surprised To See Me? by Quillwork1313
Fred stared back at him, giving him an amused smile, all the while continuing to poke at the flames. George simply stared back, unable to move or speak. For a moment, even his mind was frozen, but then he managed to think one word to himself: Impossible.

The firelight lit Fred’s face as if he were solid, but there was a cloudy quality about him. He wasn’t transparent, but he wasn’t fully there either; almost in between. But it was definitely Fred, George noted for one inappropriately comical second, for he had both his ears.

Several moments passed, neither of them moving. Finally, Fred said, “Surprised to see me?”

George blinked at the sound of Fred’s voice. Fred’s smile grew wider. Then, nodding at George’s wand, he said, “Are you going to curse me or are you just going to stand there with your mouth hanging open? Come on, sit down.” He patted the ground next to him.

George regained control of his muscles and finally lowered his wand and sat down again in a mechanical manner, his eyes never leaving his brother’s face. He opened his mouth again to say something, but no words would come. Fred saw his struggle for speech, the edges of his smile twitching. He seemed unable to contain himself as he threw his head back and laughed.

The sound was glorious, echoing throughout the clearing and, although it may have been a coincidence, a wind high above them struck up and rustled the leaves on the trees, sending a mystical atmosphere down over them.

George finally pried his eyes away from
Fred, staring around him at the trees, at the stars twinkling down at him. He looked back down and, finally finding his voice, said, “What are you doing here, Fred?”

“You called me,” Fred replied simply.

“What?”

“That stone,” Fred said, nodding toward the rock in George’s hand. “You know what that is, don’t you?”

George continued to stare, and then said, “It’s a rock.”

“That’s not just any old rock. It’s”“

Realization dawning on George, he said the name along with Fred: “The Resurrection Stone.”

But then George looked down at it. “Wait…No way. You can’t be serious”“

“How else would I be here?”

“You’re not here,” George argued, but secretly and desperately hoping he was wrong. “I’ve gone completely mad, and so has the guy who told me to come here in the first place.” He shut his eyes tight childishly. “You’re not really here, I don’t see you and what I hear as your voice is really me talking to myself because, as I said before, I am now insane and I’m heading back to the school now so Mum and Dad can check me into St. Mungo’s.” He made to stand up, but Fred reached out and grabbed his forearm.

“George, it’s okay. You’re not mad, I promise.” He spoke gently, and George could hear a pleading note in his voice. “Trust me.”

“The last time someone told me to trust him, I ended up in this place, talking to my dead brother.”

“And that hasn’t given you enough reason to trust people?”

George didn’t answer. He just gave Fred a quizzical look.

Fred cocked his head and asked, “You okay?”

“I dunno…I mean, you’re here, but your body is…” George gestured over his shoulder in the direction of the school.

Fred nodded. “I can understand your confusion.”

George didn’t laugh. He continued to
scrutinize his brother until Fred said, “Well, say something!”

“What do you want me to say?”

“Oh, come on! When have you ever had nothing to say?”

Still George said nothing. This time Fred did not laugh. On the contrary, for the first time the smile left his face.

George looked seriously at his brother and then sighed. “Alright then, I’ll play along.” He paused for a moment. “It didn’t hurt, did it? I mean, when you…”

He did not think this was exactly what Fred had been looking for, but nonetheless he seemed happy with it. “Didn’t feel a thing. Not that it matters much, seeing as when you’re about to die, you don’t really have time to worry about whether it hurts or not. Seconds later, you’re dead anyway.” He paused, and George recognized the scheming look that came over his face. Then he said, “Do you think I’d feel anything if I stuck my hand in the fire?” He reached out to touch the flames.

“No!” George grabbed Fred’s arm and tugged it away.

Fred’s smile returned.

“I’m not really here, huh?”

Now it was outrage that held George’s tongue. Fred gently pulled his arm out of his brother’s grasp and reached out once again, running his fingers through the flames as if it were water. This time George did not stop him. He simply watched, transfixed. When Fred pulled his hand back, it was whole and untouched.

“That wasn’t fair.”

“But it worked. Ready to admit you’re wrong?”

This time George smiled. “Alright, you got me.”

“Now that wasn’t so hard, was it?”

George scoffed. “I suppose I should’ve known better.”

They sat in silence for a while. Fred had resumed prodding the flames with the stick, every once in a while letting the flames lick his fingertips. Finally he said, “How’s Mum?”

“You saw that, huh?” He knew Fred was referring to the confrontation between his mother and Bellatrix Lestrange. “Yeah, I think she’ll be okay. To be honest, I think having someone to at least take her anger out on helped a lot. Maybe she’ll be easier to live with after that.” He paused, and then said “I suppose she’ll just have to be, because I don’t think I can go back there, Fred.” He looked away into the fire.

“Back where?”

“To the joke shop. I don’t think I can do it. Not by myself.”

Fred reached out and put a hand on George’s shoulder. “Come on, George, it’s easy. You just walk right through the doors and keep on going with it. That is, if the Death Eaters haven’t blown it to pieces. As for the inventing, don’t worry. The ideas will come to you.” He paused. George looked up from the fire to see his brother’s gaze rested on him, unwavering. “As long as you still want to do it,” Fred finished.

George opened his mouth to speak but Fred cut him off. “Don’t think you’ll let me down if you decide to quit. I’ll understand.”

“Really?” George found himself thinking that Fred never would have been so sensitive and understanding if he were still alive. It was as if in his first hours being dead he had gained a hundred years of experience and wisdom.

“Of course. But just remember that you’re not alone. You’ve still got friends, you know. They’re not going to abandon you if you quit the shop, lose a brother, or even lose an ear.”

George laughed then. “What if I lose the other one?”

“Then, O Holey One, I’m afraid you’ll be out of luck,” and they both laughed. An enormous weight lifted off George’s shoulders at the sound and the feeling of it.

They sat in silence for a moment. Then Fred sighed. “I don’t suppose Hogwarts will ever be the same again.”

“Yeah, no kidding,” George scoffed.

“Honestly, I’m amazed it’s still standing. And we thought it was in trouble when Umbridge was running the place.”

George looked over at Fred when he didn’t continue. There was a wide grin spreading across his face and he snickered to himself. “What?” George asked.

“Can you still remember the look on her face when we broke out? God, I could never forget it. Had to have been one of the greatest days of my life, after of course opening up the shop. Think there was ever anything else like it at Hogwarts?”

“Not a chance. Think anyone could top it?”

“No way! That was epic, one for the history books! I doubt anyone would ever make the mistake of hiring anyone like Umbridge again. Not another one like her, Umbridge.”

“Not another one like you either. Nobody will need the history books to remember you by.”

“Hey, don’t give me all the credit! What was I supposed to do without you?”

“Crash and burn! Everyone knows I’m the smart one.”

“Fine, but I’m still better looking,” Fred said, punching George in the shoulder.

George glanced at Fred and they both burst into laughter. They laughed and laughed until they had stitches in their sides and still they could not stop. They laughed, George thought, not at the joke but just at being in each other’s company once again, a chance neither of them had imagined they would ever get. For the first time during that day that had lasted a lifetime, he felt truly happy.

When their laughter subsided, they both sat still, their hands resting on top of their knees, gazing into the flames.

It was a few moments before George realized he still held the stone in his hand. He held it up to the light, examining it. Fred sat quietly and watched him. Then George said, “Should I bring this back to everyone? Turn it in or something?"

“I think it’s yours now and you can do with it what you want,” Fred replied. “But if it helps your decision any, Harry is the one who dropped it there, and he chose to leave it. And if you remember anything from that old story, I’m sure you’ll understand why. It won’t do you much good in the end.”

George had resumed turning it in his hand. He nodded. “I know. I shouldn’t tell anyone about any of this, should I?”

Fred shrugged. “At least be sure to thank Harry for me.”

George looked up at him. It sounded as if they were about to part ways. He wasn’t ready.

Fred seemed to be reading his mind. “They’ll be worried about you, George.”

A lump was growing in George’s throat. He did not know if he could reply.

“All you have to do is let go of the stone.” Fred’s eyes had grown somber, but they were dry. George did not know if he could say the same. Suddenly, he realized that he hadn’t cried over Fred’s body.

“Hey, George,” Fred said. “Talk to Percy. I know you weren’t there when it happened, but I think you’re the only one who can convince him it wasn’t his fault.”

George nodded. “Right.” He still gripped the stone, his fingers aching with their own will to hold on and never let it go. He was still for a few moments, and then gave a hoarse chuckle, feeling stupid. He had to do it. He had to let go.

He sighed and reached out his hand and put it on Fred’s shoulder. Fred did likewise.

“See you later,” said Fred with a smile.

“Yeah,” said George, giving Fred an identical grin. “See you later.”

And, with his attention focused on his brother’s face, his fingers gently released their grip on the Resurrection Stone.


Sometime later, George emerged from the trees. The light from the castle windows shone down to illuminate the grounds around it, which were now empty of all people.

George continued to walk up to the steps outside the entrance hall. Inside, he knew his family anxiously awaited his return. What a surprise they would get, he thought, when they saw he was smiling.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=86587