Forever Ginny by Secret
Summary: Ten years after the fall of the Dark Lord, Ginny has found herself trapped in a life that was never meant to be hers. As the sun once again rises on the most dreaded and celebrated day of the year, Ginny learns that hiding from reality won't stop reality from eventually finding you.

Complete angst.
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded, Character Death, Epilogue? What Epilogue?
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 7877 Read: 4486 Published: 07/28/10 Updated: 08/03/10

1. Chapter 1 by Secret

Chapter 1 by Secret
It was dark, even the sun hadn’t even risen yet. A lone dark shadow made its way down the stairs of a disheveled house. A light clicked on and the shadow blinked for a second, its hand steadying itself against the railing of the stairs.

Ginny Weasley stepped forward into the kitchen, blinking into the light, wearing a dark red sweater and black pants. She eyed the kitchen sink and sighed as she made her way slowly to the dishes and looked out the window above the sink.

It was barely dawn. Everyone was asleep.

Ginny stifled a yawn and rested her hands on the kitchen counter. She had been asleep as well until she had been woken up by a dream.

No, a nightmare.

Almost unconsciously, Ginny took her wand out and tapped the dishes once. Immediately, hot water came pouring out of the tap, filling the sink. Soothed by the sound of running water, Ginny let her hands wander under the pressure of the tap and closed her eyes wearily. The warmth of the water spread throughout her numb, cold body and she sighed contentedly, leaning her head back and trying to clear her head.

Opening her eyes slowly, she noticed a calendar on the windowsill. Ginny quickly averted her eyes, taking a deep breath. Ginny didn’t need to look at a calendar to tell her what day it was. Her nightmare had sufficiently supplied her with that information, as it did every year on this day. Blinking furiously, Ginny felt her throat burn up uncomfortably, and suddenly her eyes were filled with tears. She quickly brushed them away, and soaked her hands deeper in the warm water.

Today, exactly ten years ago, the Second War against Voldemort had come to an end. In a couple of hours, lights would be clicking on all over the world and everyone would be celebrating Voldemort’s tenth downfall anniversary. It was a day that never failed to unite the magical world, a day where kids played and grown-ups reminisced. A day of romping and joy. Everyone looked forward to this day.

Except her.

Swallowing hard, Ginny’s eyes became two giant pools of brown. Taking a deep calming breath, she looked down through her tear-filled eyes at the dishes, which were now magically cleaning and washing themselves in the water. A slow, hot tear crawled down her cheek.

Today, exactly ten years ago, Voldemort had died, and, with him, he had taken Harry Potter.

Ginny closed her eyes again, as another tear made its way down her cheek. Slowly Ginny took her hands out of the warm, soapy water and dried them on the kitchen towel that hung next to the sink. Gently wiping the tear off her cheek, she walked into the family room and looked around. There were magazines and newspapers strewn everywhere. Making her way around the room, picking up the trash, and straightening the piles of books, Ginny tried to distract herself.

She became this way every year. Teary-eyed and quiet, Ginny used this day to think back on her life before the War, when admittedly, there was the threat of the Dark Lord, but a time when there was also no loss in her life, no sorrow. Her family had been alive and healthy, Harry had been alive and healthy, and everything had been perfect.

Even the years without being in a relationship with Harry were years Ginny found refuge in. The minute she had laid eyes on him, she knew. She knew he was something special. It wasn’t because of the scar, either; no the scar had been hidden by conveniently placed dark hair. It had been his eyes, Ginny remembered fondly. Those sparkling green eyes that were so friendly and so unsure…

Ginny straightened slowly as she vulnerably let her mind wander. She had been so confused initially, so tongue-tied around him, so shy. As a girlish fantasy, she had worshipped him, unable to do anything more than dream. He was hers in the quiet corner of the world. Her messiah.

After all, she wouldn’t even be here today, Ginny remembered as she picked up another newspaper from the ground, if it weren’t for him. He had saved her from the diary, from Tom Riddle, from herself. She had been young, then, and naïve. She trusted too much. She had put not only herself in danger that year, but the entire school. And he had come after her and saved her, creating a bond Ginny only began to understand just recently.

Leaving a stack of newspapers and magazines on the coffee table, Ginny returned to the sink to find the dishes soaking in soapy water. Quietly draining the sink, she began to take the dishes out, dry them with the towel, and place them in the bottom cupboard one by one. The rhythmic sound of the plates clinking together as she stacked them together left Ginny’s mind to wander again, and with a sharp intake of breath, she found herself thinking back to their first kiss…

It had been so sudden, so unexpected. But she remembered feeling alight with happiness, on fire because of his touch. It was all she had ever dreamed it would be. In that moment, it was as if everything had been said. He was hers and she was his. And the days following that were the happiest Ginny had lived.

When he had broken up with her after Dumbledore’s death, it had been expected. It was why she had liked him in the first place: his courage, his honesty, his heroism. And though she had shed a tear after he had left, Ginny knew that it was only temporary, that he would be back, and that they could have never actually stayed apart forever. She had believed in it, kept faith in it, and held on to it. It was her truth, the light that had carried her on while they were forced to be apart. They didn’t speak to each other for two years after that. Harry was focused on Voldemort, and she was focused on her Hogwarts’ education.

The clinking of the plates stopped as scenes from the Second War flashed through Ginny’s mind. Her throat began to burn up uncomfortably again, and she felt a lump in her throat. Tears sprang to her eyes as Ginny remembered the last time she had ever seen him.

She had hurried over the minute she had gotten wind that war broke out. Running onto the battlefield, she looked around anxiously, her eyes searching for his dark-haired frame and startling green gaze. Spells shot past her ear and loud eruptions pierced the sky. Ginny held her ground firmly. And then she spotted Harry in the center of it all, fighting none other than Bellatrix Lestrange. It was the first time Ginny had seen him in two years, and her heart felt an indescribable ache at the sight of him. Two years…time had never been a friend to Ginny.

But he was safe, she saw. …For now.

Ginny had been rooted to the spot, and she watched in wonder at how focused he was, his wand barely distinguishable as it flew through the air, his eyes ablaze with a fury and determination Ginny had never seen.

Suddenly a Death Eater had Apparated next to her, his mask glinting eerily in the glow of the many jinxes being sent around them; and whipping out her wand, Ginny found herself quickly engaged in a seemingly never-ending battle with a slightly fat - yet agile - Death Eater. With a horrible lurch in her stomach, Ginny remembered it had been an entire year since she'd even thought about practicing her rusty dueling skills. And unfortunately, it showed. Ducking a flash of vivid red light, Ginny realized her reflexes were not as they used to be. Sending a bat-bogey hex in the direction of her attacker, she saw him deflect it with a lazy flick of his wand. Ginny stumbled backwards, unsure of what to do next. She threw herself behind a giant rock as a green stream flew right through the space she had just occupied. Ginny was panting, doubling over and grabbing her stomach.

And then he had come out of nowhere “ just as he had in her first year, just as he had done in her fifth year…

He had saved her once again.

Pulling her deeper behind the boulder after stunning the adamant Death Eater, Ginny turned to face Harry for the first time in twenty-four months. She felt her mouth go dry as she looked into the eyes she had grown to love. They were no longer full of the zest and sparkle she knew them to contain; instead they were ablaze with something else she recognized as maturity and wisdom. Ginny looked taken aback, gazing at Harry in surprise. He was staring back at her looking torn, as though he wasn’t sure whether he should embrace her or bark at her. His eyes searched her face desperately.

“Harry,” Ginny breathed finally, her fingers finding his scar on his forehead and brushing it softly. Harry closed his eyes for a second, his words dying in his throat, enjoying the easy touch of her delicately warm hand. Clearing his throat, his eyes snapped back open and he looked around warily.

“What are you doing here?” he asked firmly. Ginny faltered, though a slightly indignant expression washed over her features.

“Looking for you. You didn’t tell me,” she said, and a dark shadow crossed Harry’s face.

“I didn’t want you to know.”

“Why not?” asked Ginny stubbornly. “Didn’t you think I could handle it? Or did you think I was too weak?” Harry’s expression showed nothing but pain and guilt.

“Neither, Ginny,” he said, and gave her hands a squeeze. “You need to leave.”

“Why?” she demanded, her eyes firing up. He was treating her like a child, he was being unreasonable. Above all else, Ginny Weasley hated to be treated like a child. Harry hesitated before he pulled her deeper into the shadows and glanced at the battle raging on behind her.

“I don’t want you to get hurt,” he insisted seriously. “It’s dangerous here.”

“I’m not afraid,” said Ginny, holding Harry's gaze firmly as she gave him a look that quite clearly said she wasn't planning on leaving.

“No, I am.”

Ginny paused.

“What?” The statement had hit Ginny with surprise. Harry had often confided his fears of inadequacy with her - there were days he'd been terrified he hadn't been properly prepared. In turn, Ginny would often assure him that she'd be right next to him, forever helping him. She had conveniently forgotten the way Harry's eyes used to dart around uneasily whenever she would vow her loyalty. And now here he was, admitting yet another fear. Ginny's eyes widened briefly and she felt numbness creep into every inch of her body.

“I have a feeling something’s not going right,” he said hesitantly. His whole body heaved as he voiced the truth for the first time. “Something doesn’t feel right, I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I won’t go,” she persisted. “I want to help.”

“Ginny,
no,” Harry yelled as a branch fell two inches from them with a thud. His voice lowered as he gazed at her. “Please.” Ginny looked into his green eyes and gaped. He was pleading.

“Will you be okay?” Ginny asked finally, her hands squeezing his dejectedly. Harry met her alarm with a smile.

“Don’t worry about me. Let me help you out of here.”

Ginny nodded and let herself be led away by Harry’s strong grip. Harry turned to her at the edge of the battlefield and looked at her longingly. Ginny struggled to maintain her composure.

“Good luck,” she whispered, still holding his hand. Harry nodded, unable to say anything. Ginny wrung her hands together before leaning up and giving him a quick kiss on the lips. Her lips felt more alive than they had for two years. She looked up at him and saw he was looking down at her sadly.

“Thanks,” he replied, though something about his voice sounded wrong. “I’ll be okay,” he added in response to Ginny’s unasked question. “Ginny, I…”

She looked up at him as someone shrieked from the battlefield. Harry glanced over and realized he had been gone for far too long. Turning back to the redhead in front of him, he tried again.

“If…if I get through this alive,” he said, trying to chuckle, “would you…do you think we - would you like to start over? I’ve…missed you.”

Ginny's every second suddenly lasted a year. In slow motion, her facial expression became a completely blank canvas. Harry's eyebrows furrowed slightly as he realized she had become unreadable. Ginny couldn't breathe.

"No," Ginny said finally, shaking her head. She saw Harry's expression freeze. "No, we can't."

Harry looked down at his shoes and seemed to be trying to think fast.

"I don't want to start over, Harry," Ginny said firmly. "I want to move forward. I - I want to marry you."

And suddenly, Ginny saw everything in Harry's eyes, as he grabbed her and enclosed his lips around her own, wrapping his arms around her body and losing himself for just a moment in a regular boy's life.

"Yes," he said, pulling away and pushing her hair back from her face. "Marry me. After this whole thing is over. Be mine. Forever, Ginny."


Boom.

The next thing Ginny knew, the rock they were hiding behind gave way and Ginny found herself lying face flat on the floor.

“Go!” yelled Harry, who had pushed her down. His wand was raised and pointing at someone behind her. He scrambled upright and yelled, “Expelliarmus!”

Ginny’s head snapped around and her breath caught in her chest. The man with snake-like eyes and a thin white face was looking down on her with amusement.

“Ah, Harry, I see why you had to leave our little duel,” he said smirking. A second later, he was sent reeling back from Harry’s spell. Taking advantage of the time, Harry bent down and helped Ginny up.

“Leave,” he said simply then he gave her a kiss on the lips and left to finish what he had started.

Ginny was glued to the spot. She felt tingles down her spine. Stumbling to her feet, Ginny saved one last look for the boy who had just become her fiance. As she turned to go, she had no idea that those last precious few seconds with the love of her life would haunt her for years to come.


Tears were now streaming down Ginny’s face as she stared absently out of the window. Feeling her chin quivering dangerously, a sob escaped her. If she had known that she would never be able to see him again, if someone could’ve told her…she would have stopped to memorize the way he moved, the way he walked. If she had known that the last time she kissed him would have been the last…she never would have stopped. Weakly, Ginny held onto the counter in front of her for support. Closing her eyes, she let the tears fall freely, gasping for breath and clutching the counter so hard that her hands began to throb with pain.

Her eyes shot open after a minute as she heard the creak of a footstep upstairs. He was awake, she realized with a start. Suddenly releasing the counter and stepping back hastily, Ginny reached up and hurriedly brushed away the tears off her cheek, straining her ears for the sound of more footsteps. Taking a deep breath and shaking out her limbs, Ginny returned to stacking the dishes in the bottom cupboard, stifling a sob as she did so. She would not let him see her cry. She refused.

“Morning, Ginny,” she heard him say as he made his way down the stairs and into the kitchen to give her a kiss on her cold cheek. The Daily Prophet was clutched in his left hand as he sat down at the breakfast table and opened it up.

“Good morning, Dean,” Ginny said quietly, putting the last plate in the cupboard. “I’m sorry “ I haven’t made breakfast yet.”

“That’s all right. I’ll just have some toast,” he said easily as he scanned the paper. “There’s a big celebration in town today. Would you like if I took you?” Ginny’s heart dropped as she set two pieces of toast on a plate and brought them robotically over to her husband. “Jam and butter, please,” Dean said as he glanced at the toast, and Ginny hurried back into the kitchen. “What d’ya say?” he asked again, turning the page of his newspaper idly. Ginny returned with the jam and butter and set them in front of her husband along with a knife.

“Do you want to go?” she asked instead, heading back into the kitchen and beginning to wipe the counters clean. Dean looked up at her.

“It’s the tenth anniversary,” he reminded her unnecessarily as he took a bite of toast. “The celebration will probably be really nice.” Ginny nodded mechanically.

“Okay, then,” she said softly, putting the rag down and washing her hands. “We can leave whenever you want.” She headed over to the family room to tidy up in there as Dean continued to watch her work.

“I can go change now and then we can head over there together,” he offered. Ginny nodded again.

“Okay,” she repeated. Dean finished his toast, folded up his newspaper and headed back upstairs.

Ginny looked up to watch him leave, swallowing a guilty lump in her throat. They had been married for six long years. Still childless and lacking in any true communication, Ginny had accepted his offer of marriage because she was forced to by her family. Distraught by their daughter’s self-destructive sorrow over Harry’s death, Mrs. And Mr. Weasley had pushed her into the marriage, hoping that she would eventually find happiness. After all, she needed someone, her mother had insisted, she needed a provider.

And Dean had accepted Ginny the way she was, the torn and broken soul, the dead eyes and the empty body. He had taken them all and he had loved her with every ounce he was able.

But he was never able to break the wall that Ginny had erected around her heart. Even after nine years of marriage, Ginny kept her distance; she was an excellent wife in almost every other aspect, cleaning and cooking to his immense satisfaction, but intimacy was unknown to them both. Ginny was in her own little world, living in dreams of hopeless imagination. She had long since realized that her life revolved around those nights when Harry would visit her in her sleep, when he would tell her he loved her, when he would ask her to marry her…

Her life was a game of pretend, a charade of what-ifs and I-wishes.

“I’m ready,” Dean said as he walked down the stairs again. Ginny cleared her throat as she headed towards the front door and went to grab her coat. “Here,” Dean offered, as he removed Ginny’s coat from the rack and held it out for her to slip into. She did so, and then held the door open for her husband.

As they walked down the street to the center of town, Ginny saw the central park adorned with colorful strings and decoration. Already there were children running around and waving flags of the Ministry. Grown-ups were assembling and laughing… Ginny suddenly felt alone as she felt Dean reach for her hand and give it a squeeze. They walked around the park for a while, admiring the pile of candy Honeydukes had donated to the occasion, and pointing out the crazy outfits some wizards and witches were wearing. Ginny felt her heart ache as she saw little boys running around with scars drawn on their head.

“Look, mommy,” she heard one of them yell happily. “I’m Harry Potter!” Dean glanced at Ginny furtively as he heard the comment. He had always known. Of course he had, he wasn’t daft. But his patience knew no bounds, and his only hope was that one day, his wife could love him as much as he loved her. Ginny looked back at him and gave him a weak smile. He hardly looked assured as he turned back to look in front of him, and yet his hand remained protectively around hers.

It was their relationship in a nutshell.

“I think I’m going to take a quick walk,” Ginny said into Dean’s ear as he stopped to watch a reenactment of the final moments of Voldemort’s death. He turned to her and nodded.

“I’ll be here,” he said as he watched her retreating back, her red hair rippling in the sun. Ginny felt her legs moving automatically, and she knew where they were taking her “ the place she had visited once every year for the past ten years, the place she had grown to love and hate simultaneously. But she only allowed herself to go there on this day every year. After all, she reminded herself, she needed boundaries.

As the dark gate loomed in front of her, Ginny swallowed nervously. The cheers and laughter from the park had now died away, and the only sound was the whistling of the wind through the Fall trees, and the crunch of leaves under Ginny’s heel. With a deep breath, Ginny approached the gate and let a small hand rest on top of it. This was it, this was the end of journey. Never before had she ventured through the gates. She was content to just stand on the outside. Tears stung her brown eyes as Harry’s face flashed through her mind. Looking up at a sun-tainted sky, Ginny blinked them away. She had cried enough for one day. Actually, Ginny realized, she had cried enough today for her entire lifetime.

She was disgusted with herself. Never before had she been so vulnerable, so weepy. Before the War had begun, Ginny was the strong one in the family, the stubborn one for sure, but the one with the strength to carry on even when everything else had fallen apart around her.

But she was alone now. Left here by her parents, five of her brothers, and Harry…Ginny was forced not only to carry the weight of her own loss, but everyone else’s as well. She was Dean’s rock, she knew. When his family had died during the War, she had been the one Dean had turned to for help, and though he hadn't found the vibrant, vivacious Ginny he had once dated, he had found a shoulder to cry on, and since then Ginny had been his cornerstone.

Ginny’s eyes peered into the distant encaged area, looking as she had done for the past ten years, for something she never believed she would find: his eternal memory, his presence. Closing her eyes and taking a breath, Ginny felt the slightest pressure against her lips, a tiny warmth filling her up. And suddenly, she was herself again: the girl she had been before the War had torn her apart, before the loss of her family had shattered her dreams.

She was once again Ginny Weasley, the girl who had all the potential in the world, all the courage, all the strength. The girl who was known for her stubbornness and quick-tongue, but a girl who was famed for her loyalty, her bravery, her might. And beside her was Harry Potter, the boy who lived, not just once or twice, but every single time. His green eyes gleamed in pride. His spicy cologne reached Ginny’s nose and she smiled. He was right there. Right beside her. He always had been.

And then Ginny opened her eyes again and she was none of those things. Harry had vanished from her side and only unexplained darkness pressed in. Slowly, she turned back towards the park and began walking. She had done this every year: she came back and visited her old self for the briefest of minutes, reminded herself that she used to be everything she had ever wanted to be, assuring herself that she hadn’t always been the cowardly way she was today.

She joined Dean in the line for food.

“There you are. I’ve been standing in this line for over ten minutes,” Dean said. “Would you like something to eat?” Ginny shook her head. “I think I’m going to get a slice of pumpkin pie, but I’m not sure I can finish it. Would you care to share it with me?” Again, Ginny shook her head, touching his shoulder lightly so she didn’t seem too harsh. “Ah, okay,” Dean said, looking up at the menu one last time before he exited the line.

“I thought you were going to get something?” Ginny asked, hurrying to keep up with her husband. Dean shrugged.

“No, it’s okay,” he said. “Is there anything else you’d like to see or would you just like to go home?”

“Let’s go home,” Ginny suggested, and Dean nodded as he held her cold hand and led her back to their house. As they opened the door and stepped in side, Dean removed Ginny’s coat and hung it on the rack before taking off his own and doing the same.

“Would you like me to make you something to eat?” Ginny asked politely, making her way into the kitchen and looking in the fridge.

“No, thank you,” Dean said. “I’m already late to work. The Minister will be expecting me any minute. I’ll be home for dinner late.”

“But it’s a holiday,” Ginny pointed out.

“I just need to check up on some things,” Dean replied, throwing some floo powder in the fireplace and stepping inside. With a whoosh, he was gone, and Ginny was left blinking in silence in an empty house. After a moment's pause, she turned back to her spotless kitchen and looked around. There was nothing else to clean. Jumping at the sound of thunder, she turned to see that a light drizzle pattered against the sidewalk.

Walking over to the fireplace, Ginny grabbed handful of floo powder herself from the container on top of the mantle and threw it into the fire.

“Weasley residence,” she said clearly, and stepped into the green flames, feeling them licking at her warmly. She closed her eyes as different homes flashed in front of her, and with a thud, she found herself on a very neat rug. Picking herself up from the floor and looking around, she noticed the tiny loft was empty. Rain still pattered against the windows.

“Hermione?” she asked tentatively. “It’s Ginny.”

She watched as a brown, bushy-haired woman hurried into the family room from a bedroom. Ginny felt herself relax as her eyes lingered on the face of her friend. Hermione Granger had matured since the downfall of the Dark Lord, eyes lined with wisdom and lips less quick than before, she looked as if her days of hand-shooting and eyebrow-raising were behind her. An apron clung to her waist and a ribbon held her hair as she brushed back stray strands from her face hastily. She had certainly changed.

“Ginny!” she exclaimed with brightened eyes, rushing over and enveloping the redhead in a hug. “I thought you weren’t coming this year. I was almost ready to board up the fireplace again.”

“How could I not?” Ginny replied, following Hermione to the couches. “Dean wanted to go to the celebration before work so I was delayed.” Hermione’s expression turned dark.

“How was it?” she asked, unreadable.

“Awful."

“Did you visit…?”

Ginny nodded, gazing absently into the fireplace.

“But you haven’t yet gone inside?” Hermione confirmed. Ginny shook her head, and a moment of silence descended. Hermione glanced at Ginny cautiously before clearing her throat. “Maybe you should."

The tone that dripped from Hermione's words caused Ginny to glance up curiously.

“Have you?” Ginny asked, surprised to see Hermione nodding. “And?”

“Mixed feelings,” Hermione admitted, taking a deep breath, “but I felt better. It was closure for me. A pinch, if you will, that this isn’t just a dream.” Ginny nodded silently, looking down at her hands as Hermione jumped. “Oh, how rude of me. Would you like some coffee, Ginny?”

“Please,” Ginny accepted graciously. “But only one teaspoon of -”

“Sugar, I know,” Hermione said with a smile, and she got out her wand and flicked it towards her kitchen. Immediately, the tinkering sound of a kettle was heard. Hermione checked her watch. “Ron should be home soon, now,” she said. “He said he had an emergency as he rushed out of here this morning. A muggle bought a television that was jinxed to trap viewers into its channels.”

“So he’s still working at the same job, then?” Ginny asked. Hermione nodded, looking a little peeved with the answer she was forced to give.

“You know how stubborn he can be. They’ve offered him plenty of promotions, but he’s turned them all down,” she explained, as the sound of a whining baby could be heard growing louder. “Seems to think he’s carrying on his father’s legacy. Oh, I think Gale’s woken up. Excuse me for a second, will you?” Hermione asked, running to the bedroom to calm her little girl.

Ginny was startled as a tray nudged her in the arm. Turning to find a very persistent tray of coffee, Ginny took her cup off of it and watched the tray settle on the coffee table in front of her.

Hearing the distant sound of a baby cooing, Ginny turned to find Hermione returning with a bundle of light green blankets in her arms.

“How is she?” Ginny asked with a ghost of a smile.

“Would you like to hold her?” Hermione asked, offering the yawning baby to her. Ginny looked down at the squirming baby in Hermione’s arms and felt her heart drop. A tiny person... Clearing her throat and taking another sip of her coffee, Ginny prepared herself to refuse but as she glanced at the child in Hermione's arms, Ginny suddenly felt her heart melt. Biting her lower lip as she felt Gale tugging gently on her heartstrings, Ginny placed her coffee cup on the table and turned to Hermione who tipped the baby in her arms. The acute feeling of something thawing beneath her ribcage steadily arose as she held the baby to her chest and Ginny felt the tiniest rays of happiness.

“She’s beautiful, Hermione,” she whispered honestly, gazing into the baby’s light brown eyes. “She looks like Ron.” Hermione smiled.

“That was the fear,” she said, in. Right on cue, the front door clicked open with a large creak and Ginny turned to find Ron hurrying inside and shutting the door, dripping wet. Her heart leapt as she saw her brother take off his jacket and hang it on the back of a chair. He shook his head roughly like a dog, willing the drops of water in his hair to fly out. Something about his presence calmed Ginny “ as though she were reminded that not everything had changed. His nose was as long as ever, he was still as lanky as he was years ago. But even Ron, she noticed, was beginning to wear softly dignified creases near his eyes.

“You’re home,” Hermione said, leaping up and hurrying over to give him a kiss.

“Hi, ‘Mione,” he said. His eyes landed on his sister as his wife pulled away from their embrace, and a soft glow seemed to emit from him. His eyes widened, and he walked over to Ginny, who was standing now, to give her a long hug.

“I’m glad you’re here,” he said seriously as they separated. Ginny tried a weak smile in reply. Giving her arm a squeeze, Ron turned to the baby squirming in Ginny’s arms and smiled.

“Are you happy Daddy’s home, now?” he asked, tickling her nose. “Happy Daddy’s saving you from your Mum?”

“Ronald!” Hermione warned as she hung his jacket in the closet. “Don’t go filling her head with nonsense.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Ron said, grinning as he accepted Gale from Ginny. He looked up at his sister for a minute. “How are you?” he asked, looking concerned. “You don’t drop by here anymore.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” Ginny said, sitting back down as Ron did the same. “It’s been difficult to get away.” Ron stared.

"You make it sound like a prison."

Ginny looked away. "It's not."

“I’ve missed you,” Ron said point-blank, as Hermione watched on from the doorway. “I’m worried about you.” Ginny just swallowed. She had heard this before.

“You don’t have to be, Ron,” she insisted, watching Hermione take a seat next to Ron. “I’m fine, really.”

“It’s been ten years, Gin,” he said gently as she looked back up at him. His eyes looked as if they were trying to bore right through Ginny's erected wall. “Maybe it’s time you -”

“I am,” Ginny assured him, unable to take the sadness in his eyes as he rocked his baby. “I was just telling Hermione. I...er, have decided to go in. Today, I mean.” Ron looked at Hermione, who tried not to look as if this was the first she'd heard of it.

“Really?” he asked eagerly, letting Hermione take Gale. Ginny nodded, feeling her heart drop into her legs at the very thought. “Do you want us to come with you?”

“No, it’s all right,” Ginny said. “I think I need to go alone. But thank you.”

“At least have some lunch before you go,” Hermione said kindly as she gestured towards the table. “I’m just about to serve it.”

“Oh, I don’t mean to impose,” Ginny said shaking her head, but she was interrupted.

“Ginny, please,” she said, “you’ve never imposed; you can’t. You’re always welcome here. And to be completely honest, you're looking a little peaky. Eat with us.” Ginny looked gratefully at Hermione before following her brother and sister-in-law to the table. They ate in silence, though Ginny noticed that Ron and Hermione both exchanged significant looks throughout the meal. When they were finished, Hermione picked up the plates and headed to the sink.

“The food was wonderful, Hermione,” Ginny said, clearly uncomfortable. “But I think I should be going now.”

“Are you sure?” Hermione asked, hurrying back out of the kitchen. “Would you like some dessert?”

“None, thank you,” Ginny said with a shake of her head. “I better take off.”

“It’s raining heavily out there,” Ron said pointing outside. “How did you come?”

“Floo powder,” Ginny explained as she walked over to the fireplace. “Thank you for everything. This really was enjoyable, I'm glad I was able to see you both after so long.” And she gave both Hermione and Ron a hug.

“Visit more often if you can,” Ron said as he watched his sister throw the floo powder into the fire and step inside. She waved back and then disappeared in a flash of green. Landing back on her own family room carpet, Ginny again picked herself up and walked upstairs to her bedroom. The passing clock informed her that it was now two o’clock. As she entered the bedroom, Ginny looked around.

She quietly made the bed and then went to the bathroom to clean up. As she wiped the stark white counters of the bathroom she shared with Dean, Ginny thought back to the promise she had made Ron. She had told him she would enter the gates today. Open them up and concurrently close the door to her hopeless dreams and fantasies that Harry would somehow find his way back. She should have done it forever ago, she realized, putting down the toilet seat and walking back into her bedroom to sit on her bed.

She had held onto the memory of Harry for too long. Her life was only a reflection of what she dreamed at night. Empty and unfulfilling, her life had lost its meaning the minute she'd given in to her unrealistic but powerfully vivid imagination. With the faintest of smile, Ginny recalled the feeling of holding Gale in her arms. For those precious seconds, she had felt as though her life had meaning. She had someone’s life in her hands. But Ginny was smart enough to know that a baby couldn’t fix her problems. …Only a definitive closure could.

And as soon as she thought it, she found her feet dragging her down the stairs. She grabbed her coat, threw it on and found herself walking out the door, into the rain. She felt big, fat drops of rain fall onto her hair, drip from her nose, and yet she walked on. Her feet seemed to have a mind of their own. Dark gates loomed in the distance, and again Ginny’s heart began to race as it always did when it approached the fenced area. Like always, she paused, one hand on the gate. Flashes of her old life spun in front of her eyes. Ginny felt warmth traveling through her body, beginning in her hand and racing up her spine. Ginny took a deep breath and looked inside, still feeling the wet drops of rain.

For the first time in her life, her trembling hand pushed the gate open, and her foot fell on darkened soil. Her eyes shut as the gate clanged shut behind her. She felt a gust of wind blow her hair back, the patter of rain against her face. A sort of calmness she had never known before washed over her. She was at peace here, at home. Eyes opening slowly, Ginny looked around, her heart beating unreasonably fast. She was here. She was finally here.

She began to walk through the rows of goodbyes with a determined stride that revealed nothing of her inner anxiety. She passed by messages of love and farewell with her chin held high and her gaze forward. Her eyes sought only one name as she made her way to the end of the fenced area.

And then suddenly she stopped. Her eyes looked up to see a large ornate mausoleum in front of her, washed in gold, decorated in marble, and sprinkled with flowers and letters, which were now getting wet. Ginny’s breath caught as she drank in the mystery and power of the awe-inspiring crypt. She had never seen anything like it. Her mouth went dry. She knew this was it. He was here. Feeling the familiar burning sensation in her throat, Ginny sank slowly and helplessly to the ground, letting her hands wander in the dirt beside her.

She was here. She was finally here.

A slow hot tear ran down her cheek, falling on the cold dirt floor and hiding itself among the rest of the raindrops. This was it. This was where he lay. Ginny choked on a tear as her whole body gave way to a shudder. Ten years it had been… Thunder shook the ground as Ginny’s lip quivered. Ten long years. Her lips parted.

“Harry,” Ginny breathed quietly, as she gazed at the mausoleum in front of her. Wind whistled through the tombstones eerily. She felt dizzy as she restrained another heave. She had to be strong; she couldn’t lose it completely. Lightning flashed above her, and a shape very similar to his scar burnt its way into Ginny’s cornea.

A sob escaped her as she felt her body fall weakly against the ground in front of her and felt the cold wet earth against her cheek. Her hands clenched the soil desperately as her chest heaved. Rain continued to fall, her hair fell over her face, wet and stringy. Ginny’s tears began to flow freely, mixing in with the rain that dripped down her cheek. She closed her eyes and felt her heart beat softly against the earth.

He was right there.

“Harry,” she whispered again into the soil. “Harry, it’s me.”

Thunder crashed about her as she continued to cry.

“It’s your Ginny,” she whispered softly, keeping her eyes closed, though the tears continued to fall. “I’m here. I’m finally here.” She paused as she fought another sob. “I’m sorry it took me so long,” she apologized quietly as she breathed heavily. “I...I couldn't....” Rain fell down harder, and Ginny felt herself wince in pain, though she didn’t move.

“Harry, I…I’ve been stuck in this place,” she tried again as her sentence was broken up by her uncontrollable sobs. “I can’t move on. You’re with me everywhere I go, everything I do…” Lighting flashed across the sky. “I dream about you,” she admitted so quietly that even she couldn’t hear. Her eyes fluttered open as she felt a big drop splash against her temple. Breathing hard and quickly wiping away her tears with her mud-stained hands, Ginny closed her eyes again, letting the warmth of his presence take her away once more.

“I love you, Harry,” she whispered finally, as her heart dropped into her stomach. “I haven’t said that to anyone. Not even to…” Ginny broke off awkwardly. She lay there on the ground a minute, memorizing the way her clothes were clinging to her skin, and the way her tears were creating warm tracks against her cheeks. A wave of guilt crashed over her. “I’m married,” she announced finally, screwing her eyes shut as if she were fearing some reprimand. Thunder shook the ground again, and Ginny took another shaky breath.

“I miss you,” she said finally, clenching her hands tighter around the wad of dirt in her hands, and feeling the grit of mud against her cheek. Ginny bit her lip and screwed up her face, willing any more tears to leave.

Confusion suddenly seized her.

She didn’t understand. She thought if she came here, she would be able to speak to him, to communicate to him…after all, he was right there. His body, his very essence...he was right there. Right here. Shouldn’t he be giving her some sort of divine answer right now? Ginny felt more tears fall feebly down her face.

She had been wrong, Ginny realized with a heart-wrenching force. She could no longer go on pretending as if everything was one day going to go back to normal. This, this was as far as she could go. She needed to face her reality. Ginny felt herself grow weak as she stumbled upon what she must do. She swallowed hard and sniffed back tears. She was struggling.

“Not a day goes by when I don’t think of you, but H-Harry, I…I can’t go on living this way for the rest of my life. It’s killing me. ...I know I need to move on. They all tell me I need to move on, a-and they’re right, Harry.” Ginny felt herself sobbing against the ground. “They’re right,” she repeated helplessly. “It’s been ten years. But it’s time for me to stop.” Lightning and thunder both shook the earth.

“I will always love you, Harry,” Ginny whispered, as she slowly picked herself off the ground and opened her tear-filled, red eyes to look at the gold and marble in front of her, “but I need to move on.”

Getting to her feet, Ginny tried to brush away the mud from her face as she walked shakily towards the mausoleum. Gently, she pressed one bare hand against it and closed her eyes, as the last of her tears splashed onto the gold surface. Stepping back, she noticed the engraved message.

Harry James Potter
A loving son, friend, and hero
May you forever rest in peace
We will be forever indebted to you


Ginny felt herself shake as she began backing away from him. She couldn’t take her eyes off, she realized, even when the crypt became the tiniest dot. She felt something poke her back as she realized it was the gate. She was back where she had started. Pausing, Ginny leaned against the gate and looked at the small gold twinkle in the distance. Her tear-stained face seemed unable to pull away.

“I won’t be coming back,” Ginny whispered quietly to him as she shook her head sadly. She felt for the gate handle behind her. “I can’t.” She found it and held on. “But I’ll walk by on occasion, and I’ll never forget you.” She turned the handle a little before faltering. “…I loved you, Harry Potter,” she whispered for the last time; and backing out of the gate, she watched it click shut in front of her. She glanced at the glint of gold that sparkled from far away and swallowed hard.

Slowly, Ginny made her way home. Her hair and face were stained with mud, not to mention her hands and clothes, but for the first time in ten years, she was walking with nothing weighing down on her shoulders. For the first time in ten years, Ginny was thinking about the future instead of the past. For the first time in ten years, she felt alive.

Reaching home, Ginny took a shower and dressed in a clean and pretty gown she fished out from the back of the closet. She hurried downstairs, flicked her wand at the kitchen, and heard the vessels cling together as they began making dinner. She clicked on the lights around the house for the first time in nine years. Then she placed two candles on the table and lit it, decorating the rest of the table with gold encrusted plates and goblets.

Taking a deep breath, she looked around. She was missing only one thing, she realized, and she hurried up the stairs to open a small jewelry box she kept on her nightstand. Slowly, almost indescribably so, Ginny lifted out a diamond ring and admired its inscription. Holding her breath, she slipped on her wedding ring and tilted her head to analyze the way it fell perfectly on her ring finger. She looked up at herself in her dresser mirror and saw the woman staring back at her smile. And finally, Ginny realized, she was ready.

This was the moment she had been waiting for, the moment she had always been waiting for.

She was ready.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=86592