The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me by siriuslyawesomer
Summary: Lily knew that there was one thing in her life that she didn't need was more stress. However, when she brings home news that will change both her and James' lives, can she handle it?
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1482 Read: 3271 Published: 08/30/10 Updated: 09/03/10

1. Chapter 1 by siriuslyawesomer

Chapter 1 by siriuslyawesomer
Author's Notes:
All the characters are J.K. Rowling's. My forever thanks go out to her for creating such an amazing world! Also, thanks to eowynatheart for reviewing so many times! :)
Lily stared down at the slender object in her hand, not believing her eyes. It couldn’t be right.

“No!” she yelled in frustration, chucking it into the trash can. She furiously washed and dried her hands. ‘What am I going to do?’ she thought. ‘Maybe it’s wrong. It’s just a Muggle thing after all.’ she smiled hopefully. ‘Please, please be wrong.’

A wave a nausea rolled over her as she thought of what she must do. She grabbed her coat and scarf and walked out the door.

A few hours later, Lily was stunned. She would have been so happy if not for the war. This was what she had dreamt of since she was little, but her dreams had not included a war.

Voldemort was rising in power every day. James and Lily, both members of the Order of the Phoenix, worked tirelessly to fight him, to protect others. Everyone Lily ever loved was in danger because she chose to defy Voldemort and fight against his Death Eaters.

So, when Alanna Smith, Lily’s Healer, had confirmed what Lily had seen earlier, her insides had filled with dread.

As Lily walked home, the dread tightened when she thought of telling James. James fought so hard against the war. He was already stressed about the safety of Lily, and vice versa. How could she give him another burden to bear? The cold pricked against Lily’s neck and she pulled her scarf tighter. She watched as a mother walked by, holding her toddler’s hand.

‘Why me?’ she thought angrily. ‘Why do I have to fight this stupid war and protect people like them, who don’t even understand what’s going on? Why do the people I love have to suffer?’ The wind whipped Lily’s fiery hair around her, helping to build her anger. ‘Ignorance must be bliss.’

For the first time, Lily wished she wasn’t a witch. If she wasn’t, she would be elated right now, not knowing about a war or worrying what effect it would have on the building of her family. ‘But then,’ she reasoned, ‘I never would have meet James.’ She quickly took back her wish.

She passed a woman about her age, pushing a stroller. This brought on another burst of anger. ‘Why me?’ she thought for what seemed like the millionth time. ‘Why, why me?’ She had already seen her parents die at the hands of one of Voldemort’s followers and now she would watch someone try to grow in this broken world, someone who she could try to protect, but probably couldn’t. Just like she couldn’t help her parents.

She walked a few more minutes, fuming at the injustice of the world, before reaching her home at Godric’s Hollow. The sight of it made her calmer. It really was perfect; James had made sure of that. It was her ideal home, not too big, but not too small, perfect for the two of them.
Glad to be out of the cold, Lily released a sigh as she stepped into the warmth of her home. A picture of her and James on their wedding day hung on the wall right across from the door. They both looked stunning, he in a tux and she in a white wedding dress. As Lily watched the picture, James leaned down and whispered something in Lily’s ear, causing her to laugh and smile up at him. She hugged him around the waist and he put his arms around her shoulder and bent to kiss her forehead.

As Lily watched the newlywed version of her and James, a calm settled over her. They had married in the midst of a war. They had promised to be there for each other, no matter what. Lily knew that they could all get through his. She smiled and moved to the kitchen, rubbing her stomach. She needed some tea.

With a wave of her wand, she put a kettle on the stove and turned to the cupboard to see what she could cook for dinner. She pulled out a bag of flour and started to make bread.

As she kneaded the dough, Lily kept glancing at the clock, anxious for James to get home, but dreading giving him news that would stress him out even more. Lily took sips of the hot tea to try to calm herself, but it only scalded her tongue. ‘Where is James?’ she wondered, looking at the clock again.

She put the dough aside to rise and went to sit on the couch in the living room. She felt like an emotional wreck. She was anxious and worried, but and the same time, happy and excited. She took another sip of tea. Still hot.

‘What am I going to tell James?’ she thought. ‘How can I give him something else to worry about?’

The minutes ticked by at an agonizingly slow pace as she waiting, sipping her tea.

Finally, she heard the door open. “Lily?” James called out cheerily, as he always did. Lily froze. What to tell him? She couldn’t think. She couldn’t tell him. He would worry. ‘I can’t do this,’ she thought desperately as she heard him walk into the kitchen.

“Lily?” he called again, this time a slight edge of worry in his voice.

“In here,” she called back, trying to sound calm.

As he came into view, Lily felt the little burst of joy she always felt at seeing him. She stood up, smiling, happy that he was home, safe and sound. Like the ceiling of the room caving in and crushing her, reality crashed only Lily’s small frame. She burst into tears.

“Lily?” James asked concerned. Lily buried her face into her hands. James walked over to her, taking her into his arms.

“Sh, sh. It’ll be alright, baby.”

Lily gasped at the word, sobbing even harder. James sat on the couch, pulling her close to him.

After sitting like this for several minutes, Lily crying into James’ chest and James comforting her, James cupped her chin in his hand and gently pushed it up, his eyes meeting hers.

“What is it, Lily?” he asked gently.

“James-” Lily looked back down. A tear trickled down her cheek and James wiped it off with his thumb.

“Just tell me, Lily.”

Lily forced herself to look at him. “I- I’m pregnant, James.”

Shook registered on James’ face as he took in what she just said. Lily smiled in spite of her worry.

“I- I-” James stuttered.

“I’m going to have a baby.”

James stared blankly at her.

“You’re going to be a father, James.”

Then, James did the thing that Lily expected the least. He laughed. He jumped off the couch and ran his fingers through his hair, his back to Lily.

Lily stood up. “James?”

He turned around, a broad smile on his face. “I’m gonna be a dad?” he asked as if he was five years old again and Christmas had come early.

Lily nodded.

“Really?” he asked incredulously. Lily nodded again. He laughed and picked Lily up by her waist, spinning her in a circle.

Lily laughed as he put her down and rested his forehead against her own, his hands still on her waist. She closed her eyes, her arms wrapped around his neck, wishing she could stay like this forever. When she opened them, James’ hazel eyes smiled at her.

“We’re going to have a kid, Lily! A kid! Can you believe it?” He laughed and bent down to kiss her gently.

“What about the war, James?

“What about it, Lily?”

“We can’t raise a child during a war. Especially since we are such large targets. How will we protect him?”

“We can go into hiding! I don’t care, Lily! We’re going to have a family together!” After a pause, he said, “So, it’s a boy?”

“Well, I don’t know yet, but I just feel like it’ll be a boy.”

“Bet you five Galleons it’s a girl.”

Lily laughed. James was right, as he usually was. Everything would be fine. She smiled contentedly. She really was going to have a baby. “You’re on.”

He smiled. “I love you, Lily.”

“I love you too, James.” she snuggled into his chest, feeling safe and warm in his arms.

“How are you feeling?” he asked, concerned.

“I’m good- now. I was just worried earlier, but I’m better now.”

James stepped away to feel Lily’s stomach. He smiled. “Our baby.”

Lily smiled and James looked up at her. “This is the best thing that’s ever happened to me, Lily. Well, except for marrying you, of course.”

Lily stood on tip toe to kiss him. “Me too, James. Me too.”
End Notes:
Thanks for reading, everyone! Review please, so I can get better!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=86874