Scribbled Invitation by OkiBlossom
Summary: Kingsley didn’t buy a word of their hype till he realised it was no longer a game.

Dedication: This one is for Alyssa/ronlover, who has offered me a second chance and her patience.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3550 Read: 1729 Published: 09/29/10 Updated: 10/02/10

1. Chapter 1: A Scribbled Note by OkiBlossom

Chapter 1: A Scribbled Note by OkiBlossom
It never crossed his mind. Surely, this was some twisted joke, and somebody waited to pull the joke out of his pocket at the right moment. The peg leg scratching on the floor did nothing to quiet the curiosity. A mountain of parchment granted him a reasonable excuse, but he knew the man wouldn’t leave. Mad-Eye stood his ground when it came to something like this, and he hadn’t cracked a lopsided smirk. No, he shut up all right. The man propped his artificial leg on the desk and pretended to leaf through an edition of the Daily Prophet. He planned on staying the afternoon, so they might as well make the best of it.

Kingsley insisted he didn’t want to hear the story. He had arrived around five o’clock that morning. Not that he made a habit of being late for a briefing, but his superior took pure delight in docking everyone for anything and everything. They hadn’t had a reasonable lead in months. Of course, he got nominated hands down to track down the mass murderer. He couldn’t exactly refuse the offer, could he? No, it would have proved a grave error, especially since they spilled the case into his lap right after signing off on a promotion. They had to have planned the whole thing. Nonetheless, he swallowed the bitter pill and took it in stride. Sirius Black had escaped from prison, and, he, Kingsley, dealt with the weight on his shoulders and got down to business. For nearly two years, this man, this infidel, owned every second of his time.

Why would they just lie to him? Angry as he felt, he forced himself to look straight ahead. Of course, he was elbow deep in this case, so every piece of evidence surrounded him. He took a red pin out of a tin dart and played with it while he marshaled his thoughts. Whoever lied to Mad-Eye was in for trouble; they were going to get it. Nobody pulled a retired officer into headquarters for nothing. A crash yanked him out of his puzzle. Smiling, he offered the young woman a hand, for he had put his finger on the problem.

“Very funny,” he said, swivelling round in his chair. “You got me.”

“He didn’t buy it?” Tonks looked at him cautiously and rounded on Mad-Eye. “You can’t do that.”

Kingsley focused on his tiny map and aimed for Chile. He missed. He had looked like a fool when he stepped into Scrimgeour’s office. What was he supposed to think when some crazed red-haired fool told him some story in the lift? Well, honestly, the man had waited for him beside the fireplace and skipped over any small talk. Kingsley didn’t mingle with his colleagues because time slipped through his fingers. Arthur Weasley worked for the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office, and while he had never seen the man as a bother, how credible could he be? Without a doubt, he struggled with this greeting during his report; the briefing went off without a hitch, yet something didn’t feel right.

Nymphadora Tonks seemed like an easy target. Why not? She was new to the ranks and followed through with anything. As much as she whispered behind his back and complained about his strange rituals, she really admired Mad-Eye. He walked through those oak doors and handed her an opportunity she couldn’t refuse. If his memory served him right, Mad-Eye approved her into the department and saved her with his vote. A lucky shot, for the others told her not to get comfortable round the place. Of course, some of those who failed thought she got in by slipping a few favours under the table.

“He’s setting you up,” Kingsley warned her, dropping his voice.

“I can hear you?” Mad-Eye growled as he contemplated the cloudy ceiling. “Let the girl believe what she wants. And, you, don’t leave that out in the open. What are you? Stupid?”

Kingsley glanced over his shoulder at a slender man dressed in fine black robes. His white hair fell down his shoulders and his bag was slung over his shoulder. Aging showed its effects on his wrinkled face and bruised hands, yet he chose to let more important things worry him. Geoffrey Norton tracked Sirius Black ever since the Dementors closed the door to his cell. He took out his wand, gave it a casual flick, and parchment rolls swept into his arms. He invited himself into the already tight space.

“Thought we kicked you out,” he said, shaking Mad-Eye’s hand. He gestured round Kingsley’s cubicle and nodded at Tonks, who slid off the desk immediately and muttered an apology. “What is this?”

“Shut up, Thatch,” Mad-Eye growled. Kingsley hadn’t quite figured out why he addressed his fellow Auror by a different name. “Now that you're here, though, you might prove useful for once.”

Kingsley looked at his watch and decided the rest of his notes could be finished at home. With all of the chaos and confusion going on today, he didn’t feel the desire to stay here. Tonks scooted over and let him pack away a few possessions. The cabinet doors slammed shut and sealed themselves closed. As a Senior Auror, the department granted him the freedom of guarding his own work as long as he agreed to routine updates to bring them up to speed. This was the first day that he had been uncertain about his path.

“So,” Mad-Eye sighed as he lifted his artificial leg and got his footing. “You’re not the least bit curious?”

“No.” He lied through his teeth.

“Why do you think he’s pulling your leg?” Tonks asked. She sighed when Mad-Eye muttered under his breath. “No offence. Oh, come on! Kingsley, would I go through all this trouble for this?”

Kingsley shrugged. He didn’t know what to believe. Annoyed, he reached in his pocket and took out a scrap of parchment. He handed it to her. “Why would Arthur Weasley give me this?”

Mad-Eye held out his hand. He took out his wand and set the message aflame. Burnt pieces of paper fell onto the floor, and he stamped the remaining sparks out. Geoffrey might not have orchestrated this plot, yet he pulled a straight face and revealed no hint of confusion. Kingsley had made a habit of looking to this man for guidance throughout his training. The other two followed Mad-Eye out into the narrow maze. Thinking that was the end of it, Kingsley spun round to make sure he hadn’t forgotten anything. He jumped back when a gnarled hand gripped the grey sectional of his working space.

“Just one question,” said Mad-Eye, cocking his head to the side. “How do you know?”

****


The truth stared him in the face. The moment he stepped into the dreary kitchen, he thought he had interrupted some private discussion. Two men sat at a long wooden table. One of them, a skinny man with greying hair, laughed at a joke. There was no mistaking his friend: Kingsley saw this face in his dreams when he lay down at night. His face plastered his tiny work place. At first, he swore this was a trick of his imagination; he wanted to catch this man so badly that he couldn’t walk away from the chase. This man wore casual clothing. Although his eyes looked gaunt and sullen, he looked as though he had a few square meals. He leaned back in the chair, balancing his weight on its back legs and offered his guests a drink.

“Butterbeer?” He held out a bottle to Kingsley. Tonks, who had arrived minutes later didn’t seem to be bothered by the man’s invitation. She slipped past Kingsley and Geoffrey and took a seat at the table. Mad-Eye had arrived earlier and leaned against the wall, waiting for their reaction. The man decided to crack the ice, so he cleared his throat. “Yeah, I’m Sirius Black.”

Kingsley froze. Geoffrey recovered before him and rushed into the kitchen. The Butterbeer tankard crashed onto the floor. He pointed his wand at the mass murderer and Black’s body levitated for a moment before he slammed into the wall. Geoffrey turned a deaf ear to the others’ outcries and slammed the man’s head back as he gripped his throat. Surprised, Black relaxed his body and his wand slipped through his fingers. Mad-Eye knew better than to play this card. Black didn’t panic till Geoffrey paralyzed his limbs and put a knife to his throat.

“Mad-Eye,” Black gasped, struggling for breath. “Not funny.”

Mad-Eye seemed to enjoy watching the man squirm. After a few moments, he took control of the situation and ropes shot from the end of his wand. The snakelike cords wrapped round Geoffrey’s limbs and he slammed hard onto the concrete floor. The man struggled against his bonds and glared at his target, who looked very shocked indeed. Black picked up the knife and gripped its hilt. Geoffrey glared at the man with every ounce of dislike. Usually, he resorted to fluent cursing in these anger spells, but Mad-Eye seemed to have struck him dumb.

“Are we going to listen now or do I have to sit through more of your cock and bull?” Mad-Eye spoke to Geoffrey, but Kingsley got the hint and pulled up a chair beside Tonks. Black retreated back to his seat and sat across the table. “You held him in that cell for thirteen years, so let him explain. If Dumbledore saw that stunt you just pulled, he’d have your neck.”

Black threw up his hands. “You let him come after me with a knife?”


“You’re breathing, aren’t you?” Mad-Eye shrugged of the accusation. “Relax, Sirius, this man’s dealt with his share of problems tracking you. We need to clear the table.”

Kingsley closed himself to all emotion as the man walked him through his tale. Sirius spoke in a bored tone as if he reeled this one off for the thousandth time. It sounded outlandish, for one thing, but the pieces slowly fit into place. The name Pettigrew jogged his brain, and he recalled the man as one of the Potters’ friends as Sirius moved on with his story. Kingsley counteracted any revelation with his archived evidence; the pieces fell into place. Geoffrey might not be open to the possibilities, yet they made sense. Why would he have run after meeting his godson? Who would have believed his story and not have handed him over to the authorities? Running bought him time. He asked nobody for help and finally handed over a yellowed newspaper clipping. Kingsley nearly jumped out of his chair when the man stood up and changed into a shaggy black dog.

He pointed at the dog as it leapt onto the chair. “What the hell is that? He’s a ...”

“Yeah, that was my reaction,” said Tonks as she twirled a lock of her hair. “Your face is priceless, though, I have to admit this was completely worth it.”

“Yeah, well, at least someone gets a laugh,” Mad-Eye growled as Sirius shifted back. “Remus, take that knife and release him from those bonds, will you?”

“So,” said Sirius, clapping his hands together. He cast a simple spell and caught a few bottles as they zoomed out of the pantry. He smiled at the winded Geoffrey, who rubbed his arms, and offered him a drink. “I figured you needed something stronger.”

“I don’t like you,” Geoffrey grumbled. He took the drink nonetheless and glared at Tonks. “Wipe that smirk off of your face, Nymphadora, you are on my list.”

“Why?” Her pouting face dissolved in a fit of giggles.
“I think you’ve earned a permanent spot,” said Kingsley, accepting another bottle.

“You lied to me.” He waved the bottle in the air, addressing the group at large. “You lot should tell Dumbledore I’m not falling for his tricks. He’s harbouring my target against me, and he expects me to play by his rules. Where is he?”

“At the school,” said Mad-Eye. “He wanted me to tell you that you are welcome to join us if you wish. You proved yourself as a useful informant last time, and we are grateful.”

“I don’t give a damn. Stop feeding me your lines.”

“And that’s what I said,” said Mad-Eye, taking a swig from his hip flask. “I figured you should know. Really, it’s not her fault, you know, since Albus decided to withhold the truth from you.”

“Oh, good,” said Geoffrey, watching his bottle refill itself. “We’re finally blaming him for something? So, when this goes public it’s his fault?”

Mad-Eye shook his head and rolled his eyes towards the ceiling.

“No.” Kingsley exhaled deeply as the Firewhisky tore through his throat.

How was he supposed to strike up this conversation? Never mind that his reputation went to hell at this point. They had made the wrong call and ruined a man’s life. For months, he had brooded in all of this confusion, this anger, this hate, and all he kept thinking was that it wasn’t supposed to be like this. He had only wanted to speak with this man during a gruelling interrogation, running him through the paces because he deserved unimaginable tortures. Kingsley had never been that close to the Potters, but they deserved justice. For the longest time, he just wanted to put a face, a voice, to this most wanted criminal. The anger he felt had little to do with Sirius. It needed to be put to rest. Frankly, no matter how any of them looked at this thing, it needed to be put to rest.

Geoffrey snapped his fingers and held out his hand to Kingsley. He stared at the man’s palm for a second before he handed over his bag. Working under this man, he had learned there was no such thing as personal space or a private case. For months, they had bounced ideas off each other, feeding off each others' schemas and proposals. Kingsley depended on him more often, but part of this came from drills he had learned through his colleagues. Old habits stuck with him.

“Wow.” Sirius settled the chair legs on the floor when the paper trail of his life before him in letters, pictures, documentation and parchment. “You lot are through with this tracking.”

“You ain’t seen nothing yet,” said Geoffrey as he slammed his own tattered briefcase on the table.

He drummed his fingers on the ropes, cautious to share his work. Kingsley, who had worked with this man for years, never dared to seek a peek into this man’s mind. He doubted Geoffrey would go through with it, so it surprised him when he loosened the hatch. He tossed the disorganised folder to Sirius and showed him records.

“Tell me what I don’t know," he demanded.

“Yeah.” Sirius flipped through a few things. “Is that legal?”

“Mass murderer,” said Remus. “Legal doesn’t apply.”

“Yeah, I got that,” he said, shocked at this stranger’s coldness. Geoffrey, on the other hand, seemed to enjoy his suffering. Kingsley offered him a smile, even though he doubted this could make things easier. Sirius shuffled through the papers and stood his ground. “Forgive me, sir, but who are you?”

“Geoffrey Norton,” he said, not looking up and snatching an apple out of the fruit basket. He took a bite out of it. “Basically, I’ve been the pain in your backside for the past fifteen years.”

“Fourteen.”

“I’m sorry?” The man scribbled a note.

“Fourteen,” Sirius repeated quietly. “James and Lily died fourteen years ago. I was in that cell till June, or four months shy of twelve years.”

Kingsley imagined Geoffrey leaping out of the chair. The man never settled well with being challenged. The words washed over him because he knew this case like the back of his hand. The man jerked his head up and waited for the suspected prisoner to overreact. Sirius certainly felt the weight of the challenge, for he had pushed back his chair. His knuckles turned white. Geoffrey hardly ever took anything sitting down, yet he seemed to reorganise his approach and gather his thoughts. He wiped his hand over his face.

“I’ll kill that man,” he growled.

“Who? Albus?” Mad-Eye chuckled darkly. “Catch him first.”

“Shut up. I’m not the one doing his dirty work, thank you,” Geoffrey said evenly. He glared at Sirius, daring him to laugh. He jumped in without preamble. “I’m going on Dumbledore’s word, all right? Let’s assume I buy this story. Why didn’t you tell me?”

That was a valid question. Kingsley remembered Geoffrey took detours when he left work. Although he followed his instinct, the man chased his sources and covered his tracks. Whenever he had a shadow of a doubt, he interviewed people and started on a blank slate. In fact, he had been permitted to speak with suspected Death Eaters and recorded their sessions. Two years ago, right before all the chaos sparked, Geoffrey accompanied the Minister of Magic to Azakaban Prison. Kingsley sat up a bit straighter, hoping to catch every word. In her excitement over this new development, Tonks scooted up closer and knocked over a half-empty bottle.

“You weren’t listening,” said Sirius in a dead tone.

“What do you mean?” asked Geoffrey, controlling his tone. “I asked you once, I asked you a thousand times, son. You stared at that damn wall.”

“And, yet, you refuse to look at me,” said Sirius, raising his eyebrows and waving a few documents at him. “You know what all this tells me? You’re meticulous, which is a good thing, Geoffrey, but you had it planned out in your head. You understood your truth. What was I supposed to say to you?”

“I don’t know!” Geoffrey threw up his hands in frustration. “Something, hell, anything!”

“Thatch,” Mad-Eye quelled him.

“Thatch!” Sirius looked relieved, as if he had stumbled onto a difficult answer. “That’s why I didn’t recognise you. You said you didn’t care about the details. It’s a pseudonym?”

“My middle name,” Geoffrey corrected him, waving away the mistake. It was difficult to shake him from what he waited to hear. He paused again, choosing his words carefully. “It was all there. You weren’t the only one Crouch pulled rights from. It all made sense.”

“Trust me, I don’t blame you.” It might not have leaked through his tone, but every muscle in his body tightened. “You got old.”

“Well, yeah.” Geoffrey cracked a smile and gestured towards him. The others laughed softly. “You clearly never screwed round with the Ministry and met these dragons breathing down my neck.”

“My neck?” Kingsley turned his head. “I’m sorry, I must have misunderstood you because I didn’t catch that.”

“Remember the good old days? You used to keep your mouth shut, my friend,” said Geoffrey. He stacked his papers and cleared his throat. “I don’t want in.”

“What? Thatcher, Thatch, come on!” Tonks saw she fought a losing battle and rounded on Mad-Eye. “You’re not just going to let him leave, are you?”

“Who's he going to tell? It's Thatcher, Nymphadora. He would rather die than reveal at least three of us, and besides, that’s not your call, miss,” Mad-Eye warned her before she gathered steam. He strode over to his old friend and handed him the briefcase. “I figured you should know, just in case, you know, because he won’t offer an invitation a third time.”

“I’ve done enough damage.” Geoffrey got to his feet and erased the evidence trail. “Sirius, I ... I’m sorry. I don’t even know what else to say. We all make mistakes. I took your life, so, when you’re ready, I’ll help you with anything you need “ anything at all. No questions asked.”

“I don’t blame you.” Sirius accepted the man’s apology without hesitation and shook his hand. “You have no idea what that means to me. Thank you.”

Kingsley no longer had any doubts or reservations. He owed this man, especially with all the hell they threw his way over the years. Geoffrey waved to the room and left the basement kitchen. Kingsley felt as though his head was spinning because everything in his world had just shifted. No sane man would risk his reputation for shaky ground. Looking back, the mad red-head didn’t sound so eccentric after all, and things had changed with the Minister. Subtle things happened here and there, and he felt passionate about setting things right.

“Sirius?” Geoffrey had backtracked and stuck his head through the door. “Say you were in some place, like, say hell, I don’t know .... Tibet?”

“That sounds good Thatch,” said Sirius after a moment.

Kingsley shared a look with Tonks and gave a deep sigh as he searched through the mess. “I’m on it.”
End Notes:
So, that's it. Thanks for reading. Please review!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=87065