The Story of Ron and Hermione by WeasleyFamilyLove
Summary: A look at moments of Ron and Hermione's life through the years. The narrative alternates between their two POV.

For those of us that wonder what Ron and Hermione's life would be like through the years.
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 8162 Read: 17004 Published: 11/01/10 Updated: 11/24/10
Story Notes:
This is my first attempt at writing creatively. Ever. So I'm open to comments and suggestions and I hope that the story is okay. The warnings are just to be safe.

Disclaimer: These characters belong to J.K. Rowling. She is a genius and I thank her for giving us such beloved characters.

1. Chapter One: The Early Years by WeasleyFamilyLove

2. Chapter Two: Growing Up by WeasleyFamilyLove

3. Chapter Three: The Golden Years by WeasleyFamilyLove

Chapter One: The Early Years by WeasleyFamilyLove
Author's Notes:
Chapter One of Three. I'm not very good at naming things so if you can think of a better title then I'm all for it.

Again I've never written anything like this before so please let me know what you think.

Disclaimer: These characters belong to J.K. Rowling. She is a genius and I thank her for giving us such beloved characters.
Chapter One: The Early Years

I look at myself in the mirror and for the first time in a long time, I’m pleased with the way I look. Smartly dressed in a sundress and cardie but not in a prudish sort of way. It’s perfect. I know Ron will think so.

Ron… the thought of our first real date since the war ended makes my stomach flip uncontrollably. I should be used to the butterflies by now though, he always had that affect on me. And it’s not like we haven’t hung out these last couple of months. Or snogged a bit for that matter.

But this date has been a long time coming because it was important for both of us to wait a bit. The Weasleys buried Fred a couple of days after Voldemort was defeated in a combined funeral for their son and Tonks and Lupin. I still haven’t gotten used to the fact that they’re gone, especially since George and Teddy are such strong reminders of those we lost. Ron was inconsolable for a couple of weeks, but I made sure I was there for him just like he was there for me during Dumbledore’s funeral. Just like he’s always been there for me.

I waited to get my parents from Australia until I knew he was okay. They were safe there anyway and even though I really wanted to see them again, I knew I had to wait. And I did, for about a month, until one day he came up to me and asked if he could join me when I decided to go. I knew it was time.

Since then things have gotten relatively back to normal: or as normal as it can get post-war. We’ve all started to laugh again without stopping to think if it’s appropriate to do so. And I’m going back to school with Ginny in a couple of weeks to finish my 7th year, which will definitely be a welcome distraction. But there are still nights when I wake up in a cold sweat, reliving scenes from the war that are impossible to erase. We all have these nightmares. It’s something that will haunt our dreams for the rest of our lives. It’s how we deal with the trauma that matters.

Snapping out of the gloomy reverie that settled over me while thinking over the last couple of months, I notice I’ve been staring at the scar on my neck from her knife. Lately I’ve come to terms with it although I don’t think I’ll ever get over why I have this damn thing in the first place. But it’s not an ugly disfigurement from a deranged woman anymore. Now it’s just a reminder that I was lucky enough to survive. That’s more than I can say for her.

I smirk as I remember Mrs. Weasley finally defeating her. She was brilliant. It’s not hard to see where Ron’s bravery comes from.

Knock-knock-knock.

Ron…

My stomach does an extra somersault, like I really needed another one. I run to the door and pat myself down once more before opening it.

I smile.

“Wow, Hermione. You look perfect.”

I knew it.
________________________________________________________________________

Harry is standing next to me at the alter looking debonair as usual. I feel a little uncomfortable in my suit but it’s okay, because today is for me and Hermione.

Not too big, not too small; another perfect wedding at the Burrow. I look around at the faces staring up at me and with a pang of remorse I think about all those who can’t be here. Tonks should be sitting over there with Lupin, bouncing an impatient Teddy on her lap as they smile up at me. And Fred should be sitting over there, next to George, going over their plans for the firework show after dinner while giving me a ridiculous wink and thumbs-up. Mad-Eye should be in the back, swigging from his flask with that crazy eye roving all over the place: constant vigilance. Dumbledore should be the one to officiate with his eyes twinkling at us in that knowing way. I’d even welcome Colin Creevey and Dobby. Hermione definitely would have wanted Dobby here.

I shake my head a little attempting to loosen these thoughts from my mind. But they are here in some ways. It’s not just a feeling I have like they’re watching over us but it’s reflected in the faces of all the people here who have survived. We survived because of them. They may be gone but they certainly aren’t forgotten and I am eternally grateful.

I hear the music start up and Ginny walks down the aisle. I glance at Harry and see nothing but pride on his face. They married a few months ago and I’ve never seen him so peaceful. Ginny gets up to us and pats me on the back. I smile at her then turn my head and my breath gets caught in my throat.

Her beauty never ceases to amaze me. I take in everything about her as she walks down the aisle. Her dress has some sort of lace work weaved into it, but in a subtle way. Her bouquet is made up of all the flowers she loves. I know all their names but I can’t for the life of me think of them at the moment because my brain can’t seem to function properly.

I take in the ring on her finger, I knew it was perfect the second I saw it. My eyes travel up her arms to the nape of her neck. I start to think about all those times I kissed that neck but stop myself because this is definitely not the moment for that. Her lips are spread in the most beautiful smile I’ve ever seen. The same smile that still makes me weak in the knees after all these years.

She gets closer and I can see the light smattering of freckles along her nose that she hates. I’m not sure why she hates them when she loves mine. Finally our eyes meet and I couldn’t look away even if I wanted to. She gets up to the alter and her dad gives her a peck on the cheek as his eyes tear up. She steps up to me and takes my hand, our fingers entwined.

I don’t need to ask if she’s ready. We’ve been ready for this for years.

We turn to the officiator and he starts the ceremony and all I can think is, “I can’t wait to call Hermione my wife.”
________________________________________________________________________

Ron and I finally have gotten some time to ourselves it seems since our honeymoon. It’s been a hectic couple of years since the wedding. Marriage has been great of course and it’s not like we haven’t had any time for each other but there have been minor hiccups along the way. An occasional fight reminiscent of our school days. Weeks when sometimes life just feels a little too monotonous. But the hardest part is the long nights at work for us both.

Ron is working so hard as an Auror and I know he loves his job. But sometimes there are nights when he wishes he was back at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes with George and I don’t blame him. They’ve gotten a lot closer since Ron worked there after school and I know how much he misses it. But Ron has a really important job now. Voldemort may be gone but his followers aren’t. There are still wizards out there obsessed with the Dark Arts and all that purification nonsense. Some nights he doesn’t make it back on time and my heart clenches. I talk to Ginny for hours until he comes home. He always comes home.

As for me, my career is really taking off. I’m working in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures but I’ve been offered a job at the Department of Magical Law Enforcement when I’m ready to move on and I’m seriously considering it. I’ve been working late, trying to create and improve more laws for house elves and I recently started taking some classes to prepare for the Magical Law Enforcement. So getting some alone time with Ron has been extremely difficult.

I had been waiting for this night all week and finally it arrived. We were going to go out to a nice restaurant and then catch a movie but I decided to cook for him instead then do the movie later. It was one of my better meals as my cooking has improved since Molly gave me her recipes. Ron surprised me though by insisting on making the dessert. He’s not a bad cook himself nowadays.

I was so impressed that we never made it to the movies. Now we’re in our comfortable bed, my head is resting on his chest. I take in his steady heartbeat as he sleeps and I revel in the warmth of our bodies under the covers. I smile and think it’s all been worth it just to have this moment.
________________________________________________________________________


Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump…

I look around the tiny room in St. Mungo’s as the sound of our baby’s heartbeat seems to reverberate against the walls. This isn’t the first time I’ve been here with Hermione nor is it the first time I’ve heard our baby’s heartbeat. But today is the day we find out if it’s a boy or a girl and as my gaze falls upon a beaming Hermione, hands grasping mine, I can’t help but grin while happy tears threaten to fall.

Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump…

I take in the room again as I attempt not to tear up. It’s full of all these Muggle contraptions (Dad would have a field day if he was in here) and even though I’m used to them by now, I still marvel at how Muggles get by with just these machines. I remember Mum, Fleur and Ginny discussing the spells the Healers perform for everything when it comes to pregnancy and a small part of me is dying to take the easy way out. We could have found out the sex of the baby weeks ago but Hermione had insisted on going through this the Muggle-way so her parents could feel more included in the process and who was I to argue? Actually I was quite intrigued at the thought of it. Now I’m just full of anticipation. I look on the little screen that shows my developing son or daughter and I suddenly realize that my own heartbeat is now synched up with the baby’s. It’s an exhilarating feeling.

Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump…

The Healer turns to us and asks if we’re ready. We nod, unable to articulate words because the joy is so overbearing.

Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump…

“Congratulations… it’s a girl!”

Thump-thump, thump-thump…

Hermione and I look at each other, tears flowing unabashedly now.

It’s a girl…

She’s a girl…

Our baby girl.

Thump-thump…
________________________________________________________________________

I look out the window of our kitchen and see Rosie is out playing in the yard. She’s perfect. She has the trademark Weasley red hair but it’s curly and tame. She looks like Ron but she has my eyes and smile. I couldn’t ask for a better daughter. She turns to look at me and points in the distance.

“What’s wrong with Daddy?”

I walk outside to see what she’s talking about and I shriek. Ron is lying on the ground in the distance not moving. I tell Rose to get in the house and I run to Ron. I turn him over and look into his eyes but he’s gone. His pupils are empty and not seeing and I let out a sob.

Suddenly I’m thrown on the floor in a familiar room that I never wanted to see again. I keep my eyes crammed shut because I can’t bear to look at this place a second longer. I can hear her yelling obscenities at me as she sends another curse at my body. I let out a horrid scream as the pain cascades through me and I start to cry. Where is Ron? Why isn’t he here to save me this time?

I open my eyes. Has it stopped? No, that crazy woman is still there, her hair seems to cackle as she looks at me with those cold, bulging eyes. “It’s too late for you, Mudblood.” She sends the Killing Curse at me and I scream…

I bolt upright in bed and take in large gasps of air. It was just another nightmare. Not unusual as Ron and I both have them about twice a month but I will never get used to them. I put a hand on my stomach and feel the baby kick, not in an angry way but more as a reassurance. I relax and relief washes over me. The war was a long time ago, this is life now and I thank my son for that reminder.

I know it’s a boy even though this time Ron and I agreed to wait to find out the sex. But this pregnancy is different than with Rosie and I know in my heart that we’re going to have a son. I can’t wait for Ron to meet him. I can just see Ron bursting with pride as he teaches his boy the fine art of Quidditch (he already got Rosie a kiddie broom and was ecstatic about it). I look forward to the day that Ron gets to give his boy advice only a man can give to his son, although I hope he’s learned a little more about girls than he used to. So many possibilities about our family’s future flood my mind but I ward them off because now is the time to rest.

I feel my son give another kick and I turn to look at Ron. I don’t think I woke him this time so I close my eyes but he surprises me by putting his hand on mine.

“You alright, love?”

As long as I’m here with you, always.
End Notes:
Chapter Two is ready and waiting for approval.
Chapter Two: Growing Up by WeasleyFamilyLove
Author's Notes:
Chapter Two of Three. I'm not very good at naming things so if you can think of a better title then I'm all for it.
Chapter Two: Growing Up

I can’t believe we let it get this far.

Well, me. I can’t believe I let it get this far.

I knew this family holiday was a bad idea and that the kids are still too young but Hermione really wanted to go to France. She said it would be just like when her parents took her when she was young. I tried to remind her that she was an only child so of course the trips were great; she didn’t have a brother or sister to compete for attention with. I never went on a family holiday like this when I was their age because we were so poor, but I have enough siblings to know that this would not be easy or relaxing. Hermione just shrugged her shoulders and said she really wanted to do this.

So now here we are. Locked in the bloody bathroom of our bloody room in this bloody French hotel having another row because the trip didn’t turn out the way Hermione planned. Thank Merlin for the Muffliato spell. I’d hate for the kids to hear us like this.

The problem is exactly what I told her. Rosie and Hugo are just too young for a trip like this. They were fine when we went to that Muggle theme park that’s so famous but that was only for a day. We’ve been here for four days now and the kids are bored. Today was awful. They pretty much cried the whole time and when they weren’t crying, they were running around screaming. We got back to the hotel after an unsuccessful attempt at having a quiet dinner at a place Hermione loves. She had been wrestling with a headache all day and was on the verge of her breaking point when I said something stupid…

“I told you this was a bad idea.”

Even after all these years, I’m still such a git. I knew I shouldn’t have said that but it came out before I could stop myself. She gave me a look the likes of which I haven’t seen since she sent those birds at me 6th year. She waited until the kids fell asleep and then rounded on me.

Now she’s yelling something about how I’m too easy on the kids. But I yelled myself out ten minutes ago so I’m just sitting on the toilet seat and letting her vent. Honestly this is one of the more stupid fights we’ve been in considering our history of rows. But I didn’t keep my mouth shut and Hermione was just so exhausted that she snapped; and rightly so. I was an arse for saying that.

“Why aren’t you saying anything?” Her voice quivers with frustration, her anger is finally ebbing.

I just look up at her and we read each other’s eyes. When hers soften, I know it’s okay to say it so she knows I’m not taking the easy way out.

“I’m sorry, Hermione.”

I stand up and she walks over to me with tears in her eyes and I give her the hug I know she needs. She mumbles into my shirt, “I really thought this was a good idea.”

I know, love. Everything will be all right.
________________________________________________________________________

Dear Mum,

School’s been good so far. Me and Albus are in the library now. He’s trying to finish his Potions essay but I finished mine two days ago so I thought I’d write to you.

James has been bothering me and Al a lot. He keeps telling us stupid things to get us scared about first year. Al is taking it hard but I keep telling him not to pay attention to anything James says. We both made friends with some kids in our year but I still don’t feel at home here. I know you said it will take time to get used to it but it’s been two weeks!

I really miss you and Dad. Even Hugo. Don’t tell him I said that.

Oh and Neville says hello. It’s weird to have him as a professor though. And Hagrid gave us some rock cakes. Dad was right… I shouldn’t have eaten one. My teeth hurt for days.

Well, Al is complaining about his essay so I think it’s time for us to go. I miss you!

Rosie

PS: Don’t tell Auntie Ginny what I said about James. I’ll never hear the end of it from him.

I read Rosie’s note for the hundredth time since the owl dropped it off this morning. She gets more and more like me every day. I remember writing my Mum and Dad a note just like that in my first year.

The house seems a lot quieter since Rosie left for Hogwarts even though Hugo is the loud one. I cried myself to sleep the first couple of nights she was gone. Ron patted my back and held me in his arms each night until I finally started getting used to her not being around. I still feel like a part of me is empty but she’s at Hogwarts now and the best years of her life are just beginning.

I grab some parchment and a quill and write out my response to her, much like the one I got from my Mum all those years ago.

Don’t worry, sweetie! Things will get better soon!

She’ll write me a letter at least three times a week until they start to get less frequent. Eventually I’ll be lucky enough to get a letter once a month, but that’s a good sign. It means she’s fitting in and making friends. By the time Christmas comes around she won’t want to come home. Part of me is sad about that. I’ll be just Mum soon and I’ll take a back seat as her priorities shift towards friends and her life at school.

But part of me can’t wait for the day she tells me about her new best friends. If they’re anything like Ron and Harry then she’ll be in good hands.

I sign my letter, Loads of Love, Mum. I seal it and send it off with the owl.

I let out a long sigh. I really miss her.
________________________________________________________________________

Hugo is beaming.

Today is his graduation day and there’s a world of opportunities open to him. I watch as he takes a picture with his best mates. He looks like me when I was his age only he’s a bit stockier like Charlie and George. He has darker hair though… Hermione calls it auburn or something. He may look like me and he certainly acts like I did when I was younger but sometimes he’ll roll his eyes or scrunch up his face trying to remember something out of a book and all I see is Hermione. Thankfully both my children inherited her smarts.

I make him take a picture with his sister just to see him roll his eyes. I look at Hermione and she mirrors the look and I smirk.

This is so stupid to say but time really does fly by. It seems like only yesterday I was teaching him to ride a broom and how to play Wizard’s Chess. Now he’s done with school with the option to join Puddlemere United as a Keeper. I raised him to love the Canons and they also offered him a position but they’re still the worst team in the league so I don’t take offense that he’s leaning toward Puddlemere. I think Hermione would have liked him to go straight to a Ministry job like Rosie but I know with his smarts, he’ll be able to go anywhere he wants when he’s ready.

I swell with pride at the thought of how far he’s come these last seven years. Rosie didn’t make it easy for him. She was top witch in her year, a prefect and Head Girl and on top of it all, she was Seeker as well. Living in his sister’s shadow was rough at first. Kids made fun of him but he stood up for himself. He has the confidence I lacked for so long. And anyway he may not be top in his class but he was made prefect and he lead the Gryffindor Quidditch team to victory twice after he took over as captain two years ago when Albus graduated.

I look around at all the smiling kids and their parents and I’m grateful that my children’s school years weren’t marred by tragedy and war. I’m still haunted by everything that happened but seeing that these kids are leading normal lives just proves that what Hermione, Harry and I went through was for the greater good.

Speaking of Harry, he’s over there with Ginny talking to Lily who is also graduating today. They both look so happy for their only daughter. Like Ginny did after school, Lily has accepted a position on the Hollyhead Harpies as Chaser. What can I say? Good Quidditch genes run in the family.

I turn to look back at my son who is currently preoccupied with a girl. He obviously likes her; his burning red ears give him away.

I smile as Hermione takes my hand and leads me over to congratulate Lily.

Quidditch skills and looks weren’t the only thing he got from my side of the family.
______________________________________________________________________

“Mum… Dad… Natalie and I are engaged!”

Hugo told us over dessert at the end of our weekly family dinner. I’m not really surprised, as I had been suspecting it for some time. I worried a little because they’re only 22 years old but they’ve been inseparable since the day they met and the way he looks at her is exactly the way Ron looks at me.

I went over to them and gave them a big hug and I told them how happy I was for them. Ron, always awkward in situations like this, walked over and shook Hugo’s hand and gave Natalie a quick hug then sat down again. I love that he still gets uncomfortable like that.

Now the four of us are sitting around the table talking about their plans for the future. I see Ron stiffen as we hear giggling and muffled noises coming from the living room.

He goes a little red in the face and says, “Everything all right Rosie?”

“Yes, Dad.” The annoyance in her voice is palpable.

Ron doesn’t like Rosie’s new boyfriend that much. Maybe it’s because he was in Slytherin house during school or maybe no man will ever be good enough for his little girl. I’m not too worried about it though. They’re just having fun now but I don’t think it will last. They don’t have much in common and I don’t think she’s ready to settle just yet.

Ron opens his mouth to say something else; the over-protective side of him will make him say something he’ll regret. I put my hand on his and shake my head.

He gives me a look that says that boy is no good and he doesn’t like what’s going on in there but he accepts it and shuts his mouth.

My mind drifts to a time when Ron and I snuck around trying to get some privacy in a house full of people. Thinking about the past makes my heart skip a beat. Ron and I may not be as passionate as we were back then but I wouldn’t trade the comfort of our relationship now for anything. The kids are still young though. This is their time to act a bit foolish.

I notice he has that same faraway look on his face and I know he’s thinking the same thing. He snaps out of it and looks at me, his eyes expressing all the love he still has for me. I give him a peck on the cheek. We turn to Hugo and Natalie and start up the conversation where we left off. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Muffliato spell is being used in the next room. ______________________________________________________________________

The time has come for the Father-Daughter dance. As I take Rosie’s hand and lead her to the dance floor my mind floods with images of the past 26 years.

Rosie and Albus playing with their toys in the yard.

Hugo chasing Rosie around because he can’t be anywhere without his big sister.

The family holidays we took. They were all much better than that disaster of a trip to France.

Running to Rosie after she fell off her broom and panicking because her arm was broken.

Seeing her drift away on the Hogwarts Express headed towards her first year at school.

Watching her grab the Snitch, winning the final game of the year.

Moving her into her new flat in London so she could be closer to work.

Seeing her engagement ring for the first time.

I think back to the day she told us. I knew because Oliver came to us to ask permission to marry her. I was so taken aback by the gesture and thought about how much courage he had to do that. I certainly didn’t make life easy on him because he had yet to prove to me he was worthy of my little girl. But once he sought us out like that I knew this was the man she deserved.

She certainly made a good choice. Oliver is a lot better than all her other boyfriends especially that Slytherin git. I knew that slimy bugger was no good for her. But Oliver is different. You can see it in the way he treats her. She’s always been a bit independent and he knows how to work with that. They seem to just fit together.

I twirl her around as the music plays and she laughs. We both have tears in our eyes. I can’t believe my little girl is someone’s wife now. I don’t ever want the song to end so I can hold on to her a bit longer but just as I think it, the last notes start to fade.

I kiss her on the cheek and give her the biggest hug I can give. I try to put all the love I have for her in that hug, just like Mum used to for me. I look over her shoulder to see Hermione next to her mum and mine. All three of them are sobbing.

Another song starts up and Hermione comes over to dance with me. I bring my fingers to her face to gently wipe the tears from her eyes. We lean into each other and move to the music. She whispers in my ear, “I know how hard that was for you… to let her go.”

I reply, “She’s in good hands now.”

I mean every word.
End Notes:
Chapter Three is ready and waiting for approval.
Chapter Three: The Golden Years by WeasleyFamilyLove
Author's Notes:
Chapter Three of Three

Disclaimer: These characters belong to J.K. Rowling. She is a genius and I thank her for giving us such beloved characters.
Chapter Three: The Golden Years

I can’t believe Dad is gone.

His death wasn’t really a shock because he had been sick for months now but you always think you have more time. I wish he had more time.

Mum is a wreck and I’m trying to hold on just for her. Why did he have to get sick? He could have lived another 10 years or more but he succumbed to his illness at only 83. It’s especially sad because both Rosie and Natalie are expecting and he never will get to see his great-grandchildren.

Family has been filtering in and out of the house all day. And really when I say family I mean Ron’s side of the family because now only Mum is left on my side. Molly, Arthur, all of them, they’re all walking reminders that we get to live well past 100 but Dad didn’t and Mum won’t either.

Sometimes I wish there was a spell that I could have cast on my parents to make them live longer but I never looked it up. The only thing I know of was the Philosopher’s Stone and I’m sure there are spells of that kind out there but it is such a sin against nature. No one, Muggle, witch or wizard, should be capable of making themselves immortal. Look where that ideology got Voldemort. But I wish I had one more day with Dad. I hope he knew how much I appreciated everything he did for me. I feel like I never really got to tell him that.

Ron has just come home for work now. I can’t believe he and Harry are still Aurors. To be honest I think he’s almost ready to retire. Everything has changed so drastically since the war and life is so much easier than it used to be. Of course Aurors are still needed but Ron reckons it’s about time a younger generation took over.

He’s over by the sink talking with Bill, George and Percy. Charlie couldn’t make it today as he’s still in Romania. I doubt he’ll ever leave that country. I know Ron feels guilty that his family gets to live so long when mine won’t live to see the next decade. It’s all really depressing actually but Mum is sitting next to me and we’re about to go over plans for the funeral so I have to keep it together for her.

I sigh a bit harder and louder than I intended. Ron excuses himself from his brothers and takes a seat next to mine. No words have to be said; we know each other too well.

And for the first time today, I feel a light shining in the darkness that has been suffocating me since yesterday. I know that Dad is gone and Mum will be soon and I’ll always be a bit jealous of Ron’s side of the family for their longevity. But I’m a part of their family as well. I look forward to the rest of the time we will have with each other.
______________________________________________________________________

At this moment, I’m on the sofa in our sitting room being engulfed by grandchildren and I couldn’t be happier. Well the day I found out I would be put on a Chocolate Frog card was brilliant. And marrying Hermione of course… and the birth of our children... But this is something different. This is contentment.

Rosie and Hugo have three children each. Rosie’s are Gracie, ten, and twin eight-year olds Rowan and Finn. They act so much like Fred and George sometimes it’s scary. And Hugo’s are Elena, also ten, Charlotte, seven, and the youngest of them all is Liam, six. They all have bits of Hermione and me: a smile, a personality trait, a facial expression. I’m proud to say they all have a variation of the Weasley red hair. That gene will probably never die out or at least I hope it won’t. And now all of them are attempting to give me a group hug.

I tell the lot to take it easy and they calm down a bit because they want to hear a story. Even Gracie and Elena still like to hear my stories. I know in a couple of years they’ll be too old for stuff like this so for now I’m making the most of it.

Hermione just finished cleaning up the dishes in the kitchen and is leaning against the doorway taking in the sight of me with all our grandchildren. I know she’s feeling the same thing as well. We both feel fulfilled.

I clear my throat to start but Charlotte interrupts with a question.

“Don’t you want a book, Grandpa?”

“I don’t need a book this time, love.”

I know what story I’m going to tell them today. Gracie and Elena will be going to Hogwarts next year so I feel it’s as good a time as any and I begin.

“It all started when I was sitting in a compartment on the Hogwarts Express with the Boy-Who-Lived. I couldn’t believe my luck. He was talking to me of all people. Then out of nowhere, this bushy haired little girl comes barging in asking if we’d seen a toad. ‘Who was this girl?’ I thought to myself. Little did I know that I was fast becoming friends with the Harry Potter and I had just met your future grandmother…”

I look at Hermione and a smile plays on her lips. She takes a seat and starts up her knitting. I know she wants to be here as I retell this moment. It is, after all, the story that changed our lives forever.

Six pairs of eyes are on me now. I shift to make myself more comfortable and continue telling one of the best stories I know.
______________________________________________________________________

HAPPY 100TH BIRTHDAY HERMIONE!

This is screamed at me as I enter the front yard of the Burrow. I cannot believe I’m 100-years-old. I outlived Dad by 17 years and Mum by 11 and I still have plenty of life left in me. Merlin, I really miss them…

But looking around, my whole family seems to be here. Five generations of Weasleys in one spot. It’s the biggest family gathering I think we’ve had in a while. I realize I’m still grasping Ron’s hand in surprise. I don’t know how he managed to keep this a secret from me but I give him a big hug and kiss his forehead to show how much I appreciate this.

I start making the rounds to say hello to everyone. I should have expected but never really imagined the Weasley clan could get so large. I immediately go to my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I have great-grandchildren. That still boggles my mind. Rosie asks if I’m all right because she wasn’t sure how I would react to turning a century old. I tell her I feel great and it’s the truth.

Harry and Ginny are here with the whole Potter family. I just saw both of them the other day but it’s great to see them together with all of their kin. I’m still amazed at how we’re all basically 100-years-old yet we look like we’re about 60. When I was young I thought about how I would look at 100 but you can’t appreciate how odd it is until you finally make it this far.

All of Ron’s brothers are here. Even Charlie! He’s the only Weasley that didn’t marry but there are so many of us it really doesn’t matter that he didn’t settle down. It’s occasions such as this that Fred is sorely missed. I think he would have very much loved to rub it in my face that I was so old.

Finally I get to Molly and Arthur and my heart bursts when I see them. They’re about 135-years-old and it shows. They remain seated next to each other because they can’t really stand for long. Ron comes over and starts talking to his parents asking if they need anything. It’s both endearing and heart-breaking at the same time to see that they’ve switched roles. Now Ron is the one taking care of them. They deserve all the love we can give them.

In a way this is as much a party for me as it is a tribute to them. They are surrounded by generations of family that are here because of their love for each other. None of us would be here without their fierce devotion to family and words can’t express how much that means to me because I truly love being a part of their lives.

Ron conjures up glasses of champagne for everyone and raises his glass.

“To Hermione. Cheers, love.”

Everyone smiles and echoes the sentiment.

I raise my glass to Molly and Arthur and give them a silent nod.

Cheers to you both and thank you for everything.
______________________________________________________________________

Mum’s funeral was really beautiful.

I can’t believe both Mum and Dad are gone. They lived such long and fruitful lives that I’ve come to terms with their passing but they’re your parents, you know? How do you get over the death of your parents?

Dad died about a year ago and I still wish I could go to the Burrow and have a nice long talk with him about the latest Muggle devices or take him for a drive in our car. I know he loved to do that. Sometimes I wish we could play a final game of Wizarding Chess just so I can show him how much I cared. Anyway, I knew Mum wouldn’t last long after he died. They were soul mates and when part of your soul dies, you can’t wait to move on to be with them again.

You could see it in Mum’s eyes those last couple of days before she went. She was ready to see Dad again. She passed in her sleep and I swear there was a smile on her face. She certainly looked at ease about it all.

Now we’re standing a few yards away from the graves of both my parents. Mum is finally at rest with Dad. Hermione is crying next to me. It’s like she’s lost her Mum all over again. I don’t know how she did it so long ago. I don’t know how she managed to keep on going knowing that she would live so much longer than them. She didn’t even have a support system on her side to lean on. Thankfully there were enough Weasleys to help her out. There’s always enough Weasleys.

Harry has an arm around Ginny and is standing over their graves. He says something to the grave, puts his fingers to his lips then brings his hand down and touches the headstone. My parents were the only ones he’s ever really had. They thought of him as a son and I know how deeply he appreciated that. I hope he’ll be okay.

They come over to us and for some reason I notice just how old we all look. I guess when you’re faced with the death of your parents, you realize just how old those closest to you have become.

We start to walk away and I look over my shoulder at their graves.

At least I know you’re together again. Say hi to Fred from me.
______________________________________________________________________

There is a wall in our sitting room, the largest wall in our home, and it’s full of photos of our life together. From our first year at Hogwarts to now: 147 years of snapshots depicting every important moment we’ve ever had.

It’s a beautiful thing to behold, these moving images of our life together. Small snapshots of moments I don’t ever want to forget. Seeing our family and friends through the years is like walking down memory lane. Harry said it’s like looking into a Pensieve but having never been in one myself I’ll just have to take his word for it.

Lately, Ron and I have taken to sitting on the couch and looking at all these photographs. We get lost in them for hours as we relive everything that’s ever happened to us. We’ve lived a long life. It’s been hard sometimes, sad and traumatic during the worst of it. But the good times definitely outweigh the bad.

There are pictures on this wall that I especially love. Ron, Harry and I through the years at Hogwarts. Ron and my first real date. Our wedding. A picture of us in the kitchen attempting to cook. Rosie and Hugo through the years. Quidditch games and graduations. Our children’s weddings and their babies and their baby’s babies. So many photos of family and friends. But my absolute favorite is the very first picture on this wall.

It was taken at the very end of our first year at Hogwarts. Just Ron, Harry and myself. By that time we had solidified our friendship to one another. Really we were closer than friends even then but I don’t think any of us knew it at the time. Had it not been for that first year at Hogwarts, I don’t know how my life would have ended up. The possibility that I may never have met Ron and Harry almost terrifies me. I don’t think I ever felt like a whole person until I met them. And I didn’t think it was possible to love someone as much as I love Ron.

I know in my heart that our time is almost up. Most of Ron’s brothers have already passed. They led good lives and were surrounded by those they love the most in the world. Ron misses them but he says he’ll be glad to see them again down the road.

I think of the way Molly died, not long after Arthur because she couldn’t live without him. I know in my heart that if Ron went first I wouldn’t last a month. Our lives are so entwined that we are now one. The thought of living just one day without him is unbearable.

I lean my head against Ron’s shoulder, an intimate gesture that has lasted throughout the years. He takes my hand and squeezes it. I’m not afraid but I hope that there’s more to death than just dying. I really, truly hope that there’s something else that lies ahead even after we’re gone.

And I hope that Ron will be there with me throughout it all.
______________________________________________________________________

There’s a wall in our sitting room full of photos. It’s my favorite thing about this home that we’ve lived in since we got married all those years ago. There are pictures here that span the entirety of our life together: 147 years of images are on this wall depicting everything that made us who we are today.

Harry says it’s like looking into a Pensieve and I’d like to think it’s true. Hermione and I have been spending a lot of time sitting on this couch and looking at all these moving memories. We’ve all lived a long and happy life. We’ve been through so much and I like sitting here remembering it all.

I have my favorites of course. Pictures of events at Hogwarts with Hermione and Harry. The photo of our family trip to Egypt before my 3rd year. Hermione and my first date. Our wedding. Stages of Rosie and Hugo’s life. Hugo in his Puddlemere United robes and various Qudditch World Cups we went to. Me, Harry, Hermione and Neville holding up our Chocolate Frog cards. Graduations and weddings and birthday parties. Family and friends. But there’s one here that is my absolute favorite. I haven’t even told Hermione about it although I think she knows.

It’s the one we took of the three of us at the end of our first year. It’s the earliest photograph we have of each other but the looks on our faces seem to say it all. We had formed such a deep bond by that point but I didn’t realize how much Hermione and Harry’s friendship would affect my life. What if I hadn’t met Harry in King’s Cross? What if Neville never lost his toad? What if Hermione was sorted into Ravenclaw?

As I look at that picture though I realize the “what ifs” don’t really matter. What matters is it happened. Our friendship was more real to me than almost anything. It felt just like they were family. The minute Harry and I saved Hermione from that troll, somewhere inside me I knew.

And now I know that I’m going to die soon. It sounds more morbid than it really is. I lived a long life and it’s my time to move on. I know that there’s more to death then just dying. I know I’ll see Mum and Dad and my brothers again. It’ll be really great to see Fred especially; it’s been so long since I heard him laugh. All George thinks about these days is seeing him again.

The only thing I’m really afraid of is losing Hermione first. It’s really selfish of me but I don’t know how I’ll live without her. I think back to Mum’s funeral and how I thought about Mum and Dad being soul mates and how you can’t live long when a part of your soul dies. I’ve thought about that every day since; that’s how I feel about Hermione. I just won’t be able to live on without her by my side.

As if she reads my mind, she lays her head on my shoulder. An intimate gesture shared between us more times than I can count. I take her hand and squeeze it. The touch of her hand in mine gives me reassurance. I’m not afraid of death. I look forward to what lies ahead.

Until then I’ll live out the rest of my days with her by my side. Whatever will happen is going to happen. But Hermione and I will be together always.
End Notes:
That's it! I hope you all enjoyed the story and I really hope I did Ron and Hermione justice.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=87251