Wangoballwime? by Midnight Storm
Summary: James and Lily watch from up above as their son asks Cho Chang to the Yule Ball.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 901 Read: 3862 Published: 11/07/10 Updated: 11/07/10
Story Notes:
1000 people read this? 1000 people?
*Faints*

1. Wangoballwime? by Midnight Storm

Wangoballwime? by Midnight Storm
Wangoballwime?


“I’ll meet you at dinner,” Harry told Ron and Hermione, before running upstairs, looking up and down each corridor as he passed them. He stopped when he saw a class emerging from their lesson.


“He’s going to ask someone, Lils,” said James, grinning at his son.

“Let’s just hope he has better girl-communicating skills that you, James,” Lily said.

“I got you in the end, didn’t I?” James reminded her.

“And I am still not entirely sure how,” replied Lily, grinning.

“I’m sure it had something to do with my flawless beauty.”

“Or maybe it was because Remus showed you how to deflate your head,” Lily replied.

“How’d you know I asked?” James asked suspiciously. “You must’ve been following me around.”

Lily raised her eyebrows. “You wish. You were getting advice from somebody and I doubt it was Padfoot, considering he was almost as conceited as you were.” Peter’s name was not mentioned.

“I really was pretty arrogant, wasn’t I?”

“Yes James, you were.”


“Er “ Cho? Could I have a word with you?”


“Well at least he’s not going to ask her publicly like his father would have, eh?” said Lily.

“Look at all of her friends, giggling like idiots,” cried James indignantly, ignoring Lily’s comment.

“They’re just jealous,” said Lily smoothly. “Girls would always do that when you asked me, you know.”

“I never noticed,” James shrugged.

“Too obsessed with looking at me, hey?” Lily smiled.

“Probably,” James said simply.

“And they’d get really annoyed when I’d say no, because apparently I was ‘never going to have another chance with someone so amazing.’”

“They were wrong, though. I gave you about a billion chances.”


“OK,” Cho said, walking away from her giggling friends.

Harry paused. “Er,” he said slowly, not looking like he knew exactly what he wanted to say.



“C’mon, Harry,” James muttered. “You can do it.”

“Of course he can, James,” Lily said, but feeling a little nervous for her son. “Let’s just hope he’ll do it better than his father used to.”


“Wangoballwime?”

“Sorry?”



“Nope, he’s worse than you,” concluded Lily, laughing. “She didn’t even know what he said “ not a good sign.”

“C’mon, Harry,” James pressed, even though he knew his son couldn’t hear him.


”D’you “ d’you want to go to the ball with me?” Harry was turning red.

“Oh!” said Cho, also turning red.



“I knew he could do it!” said James, grinning. “Good on you, Harry!”

“But she didn’t say yes,” Lily said quietly.

“She’s overwhelmed. Watch her say yes now!” said James excitedly.

“You always expected me to say yes, and I never did. You’d be so surprised when I said no.”

“I didn’t know what I was doing wrong!” cried James. “But this girl will say yes “ who wouldn’t say yes to the son of James Potter?”


“Oh, Harry, I’m really sorry. I’ve already said I’ll go with someone else.”


Lily looked at James pointedly.

“Well tell him it’s over!” cried James indignantly. “Nobody beats my son!”

“She can’t just tell her first choice ‘it’s over’,” said Lily fairly. “He’d be gutted.”

“But Harry should be her first choice,” James retorted stubbornly.

“Maybe, but she doesn’t know that.”

“Like you didn’t know that I was meant for you,” James remembered excitedly. “I will never forget the day you said yes, Lily. Never. The world seemed so much brighter that day.”

“You make me feel bad for always saying ‘no,’” Lily said. James beamed.


“Oh. Oh, OK, no problem,” Harry said, although the look on his face said otherwise.

“I’m really sorry.”

“That’s OK.”

There was an awkward silence as they stared at each other. “Well “” Cho began.

“Yeah,” said Harry.

“Well, bye,” said a very red-faced Cho, walking away.

“Who’re you going with?” asked Harry suddenly, and Cho turned back around.



“Yeah “ and go and hex the living daylights out of him!” said James, sounding annoyed.

“That’s something you would’ve done, not Harry,” Lily said.

“It’s not my fault our son got the strange ‘Lily traits.’”

“A brain, you mean?” Lily grinned.

“No, the ‘I don’t go around hexing people for the fun of it,’ kind of thing.”

“And for that I am truly grateful. What would Petunia have done if she’d gotten an owl saying Harry had been hexing people every day?”

“My parents had a huge box of the ones they’d received. And Petunia did get one “ remember? When they flew the car into the tree.”

“She probably got rid of the owl without bothering to read the letter, I expect,” said Lily.

“I wouldn’t be surprised.”


“Oh “ Cedric. Cedric Diggory.”

“Oh, right,” said Harry, walking off.



“That’s the other champion from Hogwarts “ the one all of the girls love,” said Lily, sadly.

“I never liked him,” said James firmly. “Just a pretty-boy, that’s all. Cho'll be sorry she didn’t go for Harry. Cedric Diggory “ pfft. Go for a girl who doesn’t go head over heels for the good-looking boys, Harry. They’re the best girls.”

“Oh, like me?” Lily asked, flattered.

“No,” James rolled his hazel eyes. “You were head over heels for me.”

~Midnight Storm


End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this! I had heaps of fun writing it! I've always liked the idea of James and Lily watching Harry -- don't you? I've posted another of these "Lily-and-James-watch-Harry" fics -- it's called Potters Go For Redheads, and it's in the L/J category. If you liked this, you' probably like that, too.

I'm not going to plead and beg for reviews, I reckon it's tacky and encourages people NOT to review. But maybe that's just me. So, if you want to leave a comment, fire away! If you don't, don't.

Thanks and thanks again for reading!

~Midnight Storm

PS. To whom it may concern, here's the lawyer stuff:

DISCLAIMER: Unsuprisingly, I am not JK Rowling. I am only using her universe for a while. I'll return it, though -- I promise! But I wouldn't mind keeping James Potter. Not allowed? Nevermind then...

NOTE: Necessary dialogue taken from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, pages 345 and 346 of the British paperback edition. That's the edition with Harry on his Firebolt, a golden egg, and a Hungarian Horntail on the cover.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=87301