Deluminated by MadEyeMaddy
Summary: Didn't you ever wonder what Ron was up to after he left Harry and Hermione? How he made his way back?

Is slightly AU with the sequence of events


Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3545 Read: 1840 Published: 04/30/11 Updated: 05/18/11
Story Notes:
Sorry for the technical problems with this one. I got the idea for this after seeing DH back in November. It’s a little more serious than my other stuff but I hope you like it. Rated 3rd-5th just to be safe.

1. Ron by MadEyeMaddy

Ron by MadEyeMaddy
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the two year-long hiatus! But I'm back guys! Enjoy!

He knew it was wrong, and he could feel the guilt as soon as he tossed the locket to the floor.

Oh God, he thought. Why am I so stupid?

He heard her call his name, heard the pain in her voice, and could hear her choking back the tears.

But he kept trudging forward and went past their protective enchantments, feeling the rain soak his hair. Already he wished he was back in the tent.

His moment’s hesitation faded and he remembered why he wanted to leave in the first place: Hermione preferred Harry. The girls always had. But even now, when he thought of his best friends “ who he thought he knew better than anyone “ he wondered whether they were really meant to be together. Even if they weren’t, Harry had taken advantage, just like he’d always done.

Ron Weasley took a step forward before he turned on the spot and Disapparated to the first place he thought of: Bill and Fleur’s.

“Ow!” he yelled as he landed, looking down in horror at the freshly Splinched wound on his finger.

His finger had a long, narrow gash down the side of it. The dizzying feeling of pain soon subsided and turned into relief as Shell Cottage came into view. He took a deep breath before knocking on the heavy wooden door on the side of the house.

There was no answer for a minute. Finally Fleur answered the door.

“Ron? Is zat you? What are you doing ‘ere?” she asked, looking surprised, her French accent thicker than ever. “I ‘ope zere ‘asn’t been any trouble?”

“Err, sort of. It’s a long story. Can I come in?”

“Of course, of course,” she said, hustling him inside, out of the cold downpour.

“Ron?” Bill said as he entered the living room. “What are you doing here? What’s wrong?”

Ron sat down on the couch, buried his face in his hands, and exhaled deeply.

“I’m really stupid, Bill. I’m a big, stupid git.”

“What did you do?” Bill enquired.

“I walked out on them. Right when they needed me, too.”

Bill sighed. Sitting down beside him, he put a hand on his brother’s shoulder. “Tell me what happened.”




That night, Ron tried to sleep as Bill had instructed, but his head kept refilling itself with the thoughts he was trying to hide away. Every time he tried to just lie down and close his eyes, Hermione’s face kept popping up in his head, right next to Harry’s, and he felt sick with guilt and jealousy all over again.

The next morning, when Bill and Fleur had gone out to the market for food, Ron had come to a decision. He left a note:

Gone to find Harry and Hermione. I don’t know if I’ll be back. Thanks for letting me stay, and tell Mum I’m all right.

-Ron


Ron threw on his cloak and stashed his wand into his pocket, along with a few last minute things he thought he might need.

He stepped outside into the bitter November air and turned on the spot, concentrating hard on the forest where he had come from the night before.

He opened his eyes hopefully, even though he knew that since he left he wouldn’t be able to see past their protective enchantments anymore.

After calling out their names for at least twenty minutes, he gave up hope. He’d done everything he could and searched everywhere, even past the spot they’d last been. Ron knew somewhere inside that they’d already left and wouldn’t be returning.

Feeling sick, he spun on his heel and Apparated back to Shell Cottage.

“No luck?” Bill asked Ron as he hung up his coat by the door. Ron shook his head, unable to say anything, focusing on untying his shoelaces.

His heart sank as he realized it would be close to impossible to find them again.




Weeks passed, quickly turning into a month. Ron could feel he was outstaying his welcome, so at dinner that night he announced his departure.

“Bill, I’m leaving. I can feel the stress I’m putting on you and Fleur. I’m going to go to out on my own now. I need to find my way back to Hermione and Harry, and fix the mess that I started.”

“Ron, you're not -”

“No, Bill. I have to go. I started this and I’m going to put it right. I appreciate all that you and Fleur have done for me here, but the longer I stay, the more I feel like I’m crowding you.”

“Ron, it’s dangerous out there, especially by yourself, especially when you’ve been of age for less than a year.”

“I know it’s dangerous. But when I came here I expected to stay only for a short while. Dumbledore gave Harry a job to do, and I walked out on them without helping. I’m leaving first thing tomorrow. I’m sorry, but it has to be this way.”

Fleur looked at Bill. They exchanged some sort of silent agreement.

“All right,” said Bill solemnly, nodding. “If you need anything you know where we are. We’ll help you pack up.”




The next morning, around seven, Ron awoke to the delicious smells of Fleur’s cooking.

“What is all this?” Ron asked in wonder, gazing around the small dining room, in which the table had been completely covered in eggs, sausages, bacon, toast, juice, coffee, and every type of pastry he could imagine. “All this “ for me?” Ron gaped, his mouth already full of whatever he could get his hands on.

“No, you prat,” chorused two familiar voices simultaneously. “It’s Christmas.”

Ron turned to see Fred and George standing in the living room, accompanied by Ginny.

He hurried over to the doorway, hugging them all.

“Where’s everyone else?” he asked, looking around.

“They’re fine,” Ginny said. “We’re coming in shifts so no one finds it suspi-” she paused abruptly. Concern, worry, and anger suddenly crossed her face.

“Why aren’t you with Harry?”

“It’s a long story, I “”

“Ron!”

“Ginny, you wouldn’t understand.”

“I would understand, thank you very much! I’m sick of you treating me like I’m five years old! I need to know! Is Harry all right?”

“Last time I checked he was perfectly fine,” Ron said, careful not to let on his suspicions about Harry and Hermione.

“Last time you checked? Last time you checked? Ron, he could be dead by now! How long have you been here?” Ginny demanded; she was getting rather agitated.

“I’m pretty sure if he was dead, we’d know by now,” George joked, with a slight grin. Ginny did not find this funny at all and glared. “Err… sorry.”

“Anyway, Ginny, relax. I’m leaving today to find them.”

“And where are you going, exactly?” she asked, putting her hand on her hip, in an uncanny resemblance of their mother.

She can be a bit scary sometimes, Ron thought to himself as Ginny’s lips turned to a thin line.

“Err. I don’t know.”

Ron realized that his lack of a real plan was making him sound sillier by the second, but he didn’t care. He just needed to leave.

“Well, at least wait ‘til Mum and Dad get here. They’ve been going mad waiting for news about you. Just let them see you so they know you haven’t shoved yourself off a cliff or something,” said Fred.

And right on cue, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley arrived. “Oh, Ron,” said Mrs. Weasley without a moment’s hesitation, flinging her arms around her son. “Where are the others?” she asked, smiling and looking around, expecting to see Harry and Hermione. Her smile quickly faded as she realized her son had come alone.

“What happened?” she inquired, her tone dropping to a whisper.

“I don’t have time, Mum. I have to go. They’re fine, I think, but I walked out on them. I’m not proud of it, but the point is, I need to leave. I’m sorry.”

The Weasleys' expressions ranged from disappointment to anger, but after a few arguments, they all agreed that he needed to help Harry.



After breakfast and a round of “Happy Christmases”, everyone helped him pack a rucksack full of as much food, water, money, clothes and anything else they could give him. Ron said his goodbyes, thankful his family was safe and well, and exited the cottage, thinking of the Forest of Dean. He decided to backtrack first.

After Apparating there successfully, he searched for where they had been earlier in the year, back in September. There was no sign of anyone ever settling there, except for the “X” on the tree, below which Mad Eye’s eye was buried.

He continued this process and retraced his steps to every campsite they had been to. After a whole day of searching, he was tired, hungry, and irritable, considering his levels of success. Yet again, he twisted on the spot and Apparated to the Leaky Cauldron to see if he could find a room.

Upon entering the pub, Ron sensed something different in the atmosphere there. The place was darker, tenser, and appeared more eerie than usual. He went to the bar cautiously, ordering a hot drink. He observed the other customers: a lone wizard, stirring a cup of something in the corner; a young couple who didn’t look like the sort you wanted to mix with; a group of three suspicious and dense-looking men, marking off something on a list; and a maid tidying up the mess left behind from previous customers.

As Ron took a sip of his drink, he closed his eyes and imagined where Hermione and Harry could possibly be, and how much success they were having with the Horcrux hunt. He wondered, as he had done many times before, if they were glad he had gone. He wondered if they were glad he had left them alone, that they could finally have a relationship and be open about it. He wondered if they were all right, or if they had been captured by Death Eaters or Snatchers.

Snatchers!. Ron’s eyes instantly flew open, and he whipped around to the suspicious-looking group of men in the corner. They must have realized he had caught on to them, and they rose simultaneously.

Ron, only realizing now that he had given himself away, felt a cold, unfriendly hand creep up his neck from behind.

“Get off me!” he yelled, struggling. He called desperately for help, but it seemed everyone else had melted away into the dark shadows. He was alone with three dangerous men.

Reaching into his robes, Ron drew out his wand. “Back off,” he growled, as the others sniggered.

“’Ey,” said the first one, squinting at him. “Doesn’t ‘e look like one of them ‘oo ‘as been travelin’ with Potter?” he said through a thick Cockney accent, scratching his head.

“Yeah…” agreed the second.

“No, I reckon he’d be with them, then,” the third said, peering up at him from his short height. “…Wouldn’ he?”

“Of course ‘e would!” said the first one angrily. “You stupid git, of course ‘e would. Find the others, they’re probably ‘ere.”

“They wouldn’t be here, the boy came in alone!” said the second Snatcher. The third stood in the middle, now seemingly torn by who he should believe.

“Search ‘im,” said the first, scratching his beard. “Just in case.”

Ron “ realizing that they weren’t the brightest of wizards “ Confunded one of them when they weren’t looking. The spell made the Snatcher stop in his tracks and sit down.

“What are you doing?” the bearded Snatcher shouted.

“Taking a rest,” replied the Confunded one with a dazed expression on his face.

“A rest? A rest? What for?” By now, Ron had guessed the bearded Snatcher was the leader of the gang. The third backed into the corner, looking nervous and indecisive.

“I’m tired!”

Ron held back his laughter and reminded himself of the seriousness of his situation.

Stupefy,” he muttered, knocking the second one out, unnoticed.

“Tired? ‘Ow can you be tired, you git?”

Ron barely listened to them argue as he quickly and quietly dashed for safety behind the bar, careful not to make a noise. He crouched, just barely out of view and Stunned the leader as his back was turned. He stunned the Confunded one as well, and stole his wand which had fallen to the ground.

He left without delay and departed for a lake where his father has once taken the family camping, where he pitched the small tent Bill and Fleur had lent him on the banks. He performed the basic enchantments to protect himself, and once he made sure he was safe, he rested on the bunk he had found there. The tent was smaller than Harry and Hermione’s, but it did the job for one person.




As he lay in bed that night, he recounted the events of that day in his head. He was incredibly lucky that the Snatchers were that thick. He imagined himself being reunited with his friends. He saw Hermione embracing him, Harry smiling as he greeted him and they welcomed him to the tent again. This must have morphed into a dream, because by the time it was up, the soft moonlight had been replaced by the blinding morning sun.

Ron sighed as he awoke, changing into fresh clothes. He had no idea what he was going to do; he was completely clueless as to where to go from here and was afraid of running into more trouble.




After four more days of searching everywhere he could think of, he started to realize that it was useless. He had had no success and hadn’t come into contact with people since the Snatcher incident.

That night, Ron conjured a fire and cooked the fish he had caught after several unsuccessful tries, even after falling into the frigid water once. He heated up the kettle for some tea, and then extinguished the fire, heading inside.

He sipped his tea, and thought about Hermione. How ever since second year, he had had feelings for her. Seeing her Petrified on that hospital bed had crushed him. He remembered how, one night, he stayed there until late, just whispering to her frozen face about how she’d be fine soon. Over the years, these feelings had only grown inside him and they left him feeling truly jealous for the first time when Hermione had went to the Yule Ball with Viktor Krum instead of him. Even now, he inwardly cursed himself for not asking her sooner. But this year, he thought they had really embraced their connection: falling asleep holding hands at twelve Grimmauld Place, him always complimenting her, even making a genuine effort to go out of his way to please her.

As he was lying down in bed that night, he heard it. He sat, bolt upright, immediately on guard.

He thought he had imagined it at first, that it was brought on by his thoughts from earlier that evening. But he knew instantaneously that it was real just by the soft, true quality of her voice.

And for some reason, it had come from his pocket. Hermione Granger had spoken his name, but the only thing in his pocket was the Deluminator.

He studied it for a moment, and then clicked it. A bright white light floated toward him, and depicted a small image of Hermione’s face. The light was warm; it drifted towards him until it entered his chest.

For some reason, Ron instantly knew what to do. He hurriedly cleared up the tent and packed his things. He turned on the spot, the light leading him to where he needed to go.

He landed softly on the ground of the new forest; densely wooded, but somehow innocent, and not frightening like he expected.

Ron sat for some time in the darkness, dozing off every once in a while in the shadows of the trees. At around two in the morning, he was suddenly woken up by a blinding white light, yet it was not the kind that came out of the Deluminator. He recognized it as the light of a Patronus “ and it was one that looked strangely familiar.

He knew Harry was here now; it was obviously his Patronus and it was there to help Ron find them. He stood up and followed it for a bit, and it led him to a pond in the middle of a clearing. Quietly, Ron hid behind one of the trees in the forest to make sure this wasn’t some sort of trick.

After the Patronus faded away into mist, Ron took a deep breath and emerged from behind the tree, looking around cautiously.

He turned around to the other side of the pond, where there seemed to be a large crack in the ice. As he explored further, he noticed that there was some kind of disturbance underwater, causing the surface of the water to ripple.

Oh my God! Ron thought. It’s Harry!

Without hesitation, Ron threw off his cloak and chucked his rucksack on top of it.

He took a lungful of air before he dived expertly into the freezing water.

He reached around blindly and managed to grab hold of Harry’s arm, which felt like it was clenched on to something. Ron kicked hard off the ground, shooting up to the surface like lightning and gasping for air as he pulled Harry out of the water with him. For a moment, Harry lay with his eyes closed, breathing in large, heaving gulps. Ron shivered as the wintry air bit at his skin.

As Harry’s eyes opened and came into focus, Ron took a deep breath and spoke to his best friend for the first time in months.

“What,” he panted, “the bloody hell were you thinking?”

“I was trying to get this,” Harry coughed, gesturing to the ruby sword that Ron hadn’t noticed.

“Why was it at the bottom of a frozen pond? Are you mental? Why the hell did you even think about going in there? And why weren’t you coming up? That scared the pants off me, that did.”

“I don’t know why, Ron, but it was the locket. I guess it sensed me getting near the sword and didn’t like it. It started closing around my neck. But listen, Ron,” Harry added, starting to dress. “You need to destroy it. I’m going to open it, and you’re going to stab it with the sword.”

“Wha -”

“Please, Ron.”

“No,” said Ron, backing away slowly, holding out his arms in defense. “That thing affects me a lot more than it affects you and Hermione. You know it does, that’s why I walked out in the first place -”

“Please, Ron, just do it. I’ll open it and I just need you to stab it with the sword.”

Ron sighed. He decided to just give in; clearing his head, he got ready to kill whatever lay inside.




Ron grinned, carrying the broken halves of the locket back to the tent, escorted by Harry. As he entered the boundaries of the enchantments he couldn’t penetrate before, he saw Hermione’s silhouette pacing back and forth through the walls of the tent.

“Harry!” she cried as she heard them approach. “Where have you -”

Her mouth fell wide open as her gaze fell upon Ron, who was grinning sheepishly.

“Hey,” he said, waving at her nervously.

Unexpectedly, Hermione did not answer; she charged at him, her fist extended, striking him with all her might.

“Ow “ what “ Hermione, stop -”

“You “ complete “ arse “ Ronald “ Weasley!” She punctuated every word with a blow to the chest.

“Just let me explain!”

“Explain? Explain? Explain what? How you walked out on us for months? How you left Harry and I worried sick? I called you, Ron, and you didn’t even turn around!”

“I know, and I’m sorry, but -”

“Oh, you’re sorry! You could’ve been dead, Ron, and we’d never even have known about it!” Hermione exclaimed shrilly, becoming quite hysterical.

The fighting only escalated from there.




That night, long after they had all slept, eaten, and allowed their tempers to fizzle down, Ron snuck into the sitting room of the tent where Hermione was reading in the corner, sitting on the sofa with her feet up.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. She jumped with surprise at the sound of his voice, as quiet as it was.

“I “ I know you are,” she whispered back.

They stared at each other, the seconds trickling by, before Ron averted his eyes and reached for her hand. He entwined her fingers with his, and at that moment, he knew, somehow, that he was forgiven.

And forgiveness was always the first step, wasn’t it?
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! Hopefully I'll be back soon. Reviews mean the world to me!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=88797