Doubt by Writ Encore
Summary: Peter Pettigrew hesitates as he deals with his first task.


This is a companion piece to my 'Give and Take' that I had to get out of my head and onto paper.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Strong Profanity, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 6590 Read: 1086 Published: 05/02/11 Updated: 05/08/11

1. Chapter 1: Doubt by Writ Encore

Chapter 1: Doubt by Writ Encore
It was a simple task: lure her outside and leave no evidence. Peter smiled at her grandmother and listened to the speech. A boring one, for he didn’t understand a word of it. It wasn’t as if he couldn’t understand the words pouring out of her mouth; Madame Jacqueline Luce-Marceau didn’t look like she did anything halfway and, she, at any rate, looked like she belonged here. Peter had panicked at the last minute because he couldn’t figure out how to make this work. Sirius didn’t fall for his spill because he had covered for Peter too often these days. Remus, although he really wanted to come along and meet the Madame, took sympathy on his good friend and traded assignments.

One man talked nonstop. Peter wondered if the man took a breath or paused to gather his thoughts. He doubted it. Peter thanked his waiter for refilling his glass. He had barely touched his food or sipped his wine and his hands were shaking like mad. Gideon Prewett was a stranger to him. They met every so often at Order meetings. Peter and his friends actually had to reintroduce themselves twice because the man had forgotten everyone’s name, except for Sirius, of course, the first time around. He had curly reddish-brown locks, not quite auburn, and a trimmed beard. He drank water like it was wine. He didn’t speak much, which surprised Peter, seeing as the man was a negotiator and all.

“You can tell him to shut up,” said Gideon in a low voice, passing a hand over his face. “He does that.”

His wife smiled and continued nodding as Mr. Davies droned on about his business. She wore a red dress, a plain one, and she was very pretty in it. Peter wondered why she had never attended an Order meeting. He’d never met a Frenchwoman, and from what he had gathered from his mother, they were high-maintenance folks who thought a lot of themselves. Annette didn’t seem that way and acted more comfortable in a crowd than her husband.

“So, Peter,” she said, taking his hand, “I don’t know who you are, but I’m assuming you work as a scribe for Gideon. It’s been a while since I’ve been tied with this madness.”

“You understand this?” asked Peter, surprised. He uncrossed his legs and looked up at her. It surprised him that Annette didn’t have a trace of an accent.

“Oh, yes, I’m my brother’s secretary,” she said, smiling.

“Scribe,” Gideon corrected her, lifting a finger. The plates disappeared and scrumptious platters of sweets appeared. He helped himself to gateau and handed her a plate, too. “Auguste owes you his life ten times over, even if he won’t admit it, especially since you jump at his beck and call””

“”and I don’t act like that.” Annette took his half-empty glass away from him. “That’s enough. You’re going to feel it in the morning, and I don’t want to hear your complaints. Enough. Auguste has me draft for your benefit, love, and you know it, because he likes having me at his side. It calms him down.”

Peter glanced around the room, searching. Lucius Malfoy inclined his head, giving him the slightest nod. There were a million ways this could go completely wrong. They all came to Peter in a rush and he felt the countless worries suffocating him. Either that or he may get a relief from his head exploding. He took a handkerchief out of the sleeve of his robes and dabbed the beads on his forehead and wiped his sweaty hands. His fingers were bitten down past the cuticles already. It would be embarrassing to nibble on the stubs now and sprinkle blood everywhere.

“His endorphin fix?” asked Gideon, pulling her out of another chat with his boss. He sounded annoyed, but still focused. Peter wondered for a moment why he’d gone unnoticed. Maybe Gideon really didn’t recall who he was and had honestly mistaken him for a scribe. An entry position, Peter learned, really didn’t matter; he wasn’t supposed to be here, but Mr. Prewett wasn’t drunk enough to make a fuss. “Is that what he’s told you? He’s using you, and he has ever since you started that internship at fifteen, and you let him. That’s why you want to go to Calais. HA!”

Annette looked down and stabbed at her chocolate dessert and Gideon chanced another look over his shoulder.

“Batting for the other team,” said Gideon, laughing softly with her, pleased he caught her in the act. “Yeah, you’ve done this before, remember? You think I don’t know you, Madame, but I do. Always a Marceau. Play for France, Annette, I dare you, favour your brother. We’ll win. You stole France from us ages ago, eh? We’re coming back with a vengeance. Wait and see, darling, I’ve got you.”

Annette and Mr. Davies looked up when Gideon got to his feet.

“Bathroom,” he said dismissively. Peter got a good look at him, and Gideon really did look off colour. He was pale and sweaty, too, but Peter knew his clamminess was something else altogether.

Peter watched him leave and counted off the minutes in his head. He didn’t say much and sat back and listened to the others. He bid his time. After about twenty minutes, Annette got to her feet, too, worried. She wore no watch. Peter smiled, stood up, and offered her his arm. He nodded at Lily and James, who sat another table with an elderly couple, and escorted the lady out of the room. Annette had laced her shawl through her arms, and when she turned to go back, he tightened his grip around her arm.

“Wh-where are you going?” He cursed the nervousness that leaked through his tone. He took a deep breath and plastered a smile on his face. He couldn’t risk fudging this up. She took a step and slipped, redoubling her grip around his right arm. Peter steadied her. “Are you all right?”

“Yes. There was something on the floor,” she said, “but I forgot my things.”

“You won’t need it,” he said darkly. When she looked up at him, Peter swallowed his words and took another shot as they turned the corner. “We’re just going out for some fresh air. You know, so you can stretch your legs. We’ll be back in just a few minutes.”

“We’re underground,” she pointed out. She laughed, passing it off as a joke, and realised her mistake when they stepped off of the lift and into the Atrium. “Maybe we should wait for Gideon.”

“Mr. Prewett will be fine, Madame, it’s just a fever,” Peter told her coolly. He held her close and snatched a walking stick that was leaning against the wall. “That’s why he graciously invited me to sit at your table. I took Professor Dumbledore’s seat.”

“Wait.” She stopped in her tracks and glared at him. “How do you know that?”

“Know what?” Annette was making this a lot harder than he’d expected. The Atrium was empty and the security wizard had dozed off, so if Peter was going to get out of here without making a scene, now was his chance. He nodded at a fireplace and gestured at the emerald green flames. “After you.”

“No.” Annette stepped back and reached into her small beaded bag. “Let go of me.”

Peter licked his lips and ignored the panic screaming if the back of his mind. “Madame, Mr. Prewett said that if you got tired, he’d like me to make sure you got home safely.”

“He wouldn’t do that,” whispered Annette, shaking her head. “No. He’d want me to go home with him, and he wouldn’t have left me with someone like you. Who are you?”

“Madame Marceau,” said Peter nervously, his voice rising to a squeak.

“No! Unhand me!” She had her back turned to him drove a sharp blade down his wrist and Peter jerked back, howling in pain. Annette started walking towards the security wizard. Scared out of his mind, Peter grabbed her shawl and ripped it to shreds, and he acted on instinct.

He swung the walking stick; he had to silence her before others got suspicious. “I’m sorry.”

The bag and the knife slipped out of her hands as she fell to the floor.

***


Peter stepped into the handsome drawing room and nearly collapsed under her weight. He hadn’t expected her to be that heavy, and his knees buckled. He had visited Malfoy Manor the night before. In this very room, he’d pledged his allegiance to the Dark Lord. The armchair where his master had sat wasn’t in front of the fireplace anymore. This was his first act, his initiation, and Peter had pulled it off. A house-elf was in the room, wiping off a writing desk.
“Madam.” He inhaled sharply when it wasn’t Narcissa Malfoy, but her eldest sister, who turned to face him. Bellatrix closed a book and looked up at him with a bored expression. It would have been too much trouble for her to offer him a hand. “Where is your sister?”

“They haven’t returned,” she said simply, walking over to glance at the woman, “and they won’t be back until morning, I expect. She’s pretty, isn’t she?”

Peter said nothing.

“What a waste for Prewett,” said Bellatrix, touching Annette’s face. Annette turned and rested her head on Peter’s chest. Looks clearly aren’t everything, seeing as he settled for a filthy Squib. Did you give her the sleeping draught? Dobby, help him with her.”

Lucius Malfoy appeared and stepped out of the fireplace. “Why are you standing there?”

“I was telling them to take her down to the cellar,” said Bellatrix, a cold smile playing across her lips, “and make this scum nice and comfortable down there. I doubt the alchemist’s precious granddaughter likes playing with rats.”

“No,” said Lucius. He wiped the smirk off his sister-in-law’s face and replaced it with sheer disappointment. ”The Dark Lord says we shall keep the Madame comfortable unless things change, and that’s only on his order. Take her into the third bedroom on the second floor; Narcissa says it’s a good size with good lighting.”

“That’s my room,” Bellatrix objected. “I will not have that thing sleeping in my bed.”

“Is it?” Lucius didn’t seem troubled by this fact as he shrugged off his travelling cloak and hung it in the wardrobe. “I’m so sorry.”

The house-elf walked behind Peter as they started up the staircase. They turned into a room with a large bed and a handsome mahogany furniture set: a dresser, bedside cabinets, and an armoire. There was an old Hogwarts trunk at the foot of the bed with a colourful afghan draped over it. Peter and Dobby placed the woman on the bed and slipped off her shoes. Peter sat on the foot of the bed to catch his breath and Dobby pulled the heavy drapes closed. Peter rubbed his eyes and turned to say goodnight to the others when he felt a hand brush against his.

“Madame?” Peter asked, loud and clearer the next time. “Annette?”

“Gideon,” she said shakily, moving her head. Annette opened her eyes slowly and blinked a few times. She muttered under her breath and repeated it, or so Peter guessed, in English. “Where am I?”

She started screaming at the top of her lungs and thrashing around on the bed when she recognised Peter’s face. Invisible bonds wrapped around her left foot, confining her to the room.

“All right, all right,” he said, cringing at the sound of her screeches. Dobby backed off, covering his bat-like eyes and muttering apologies. When Bellatrix entered the room with Narcissa, the house-elf started banging his head against the armoire.

“Let her scream,” Bellatrix suggested, leaning against the door and brooding. “Her voice will give out eventually, and nobody can hear her for miles.”

Peter cupped his hand over her mouth and cried out when Annette dug her nails into his wrists; the other wound dripped droplets of blood on the comforter. Peter covered her mouth again and waited until she went limp.

“Good. Are you going to listen?” Peter sighed, exhausted. Her eyes flooded with eyes and he turned away. “We’re not going to hurt you. Calm down. You’re all right, I promise.”

“Let me go,” Annette said, though she lacked the conviction when she’d said that earlier. Tears streamed down her face and into her hair. “Please just “ just let me go. Where’s my husband? Gideon! Gideon!”

“He won’t save you,” said Bellatrix, bored. She strode across the room, deaf to her sister’s suggestion, and forced Annette to look at her, locking her face in her hands. “We can make this simple or drag it out. Personally, I want you dead either way, so it doesn’t matter to me””

“”but all we need is a favour,” said Narcissa, raising her eyebrows, “and you can go home.”

“I hope you’re not claustrophobic because there’s no need to get comfortable,” said Bellatrix, releasing her. Before her sister checked her, she walked towards the door. “Did you enjoy yourself at the party?”

Narcissa said nothing and Bellatrix laughed as she went downstairs. Narcissa walked into the small bathroom and flipped the tap before she pulled a nightgown and a robe out of the armoire. Tired, Annette gave up and took a shower, disappointed to see Peter and the house-elf waiting on her when she returned. She draped the gown over a desk chair and left the earrings on the bedside cabinet. The house-elf offered her a drink, but she just ignored him and got into the bed. Peter never would have guessed that he’d spend his first night with woman listening to her cry herself to sleep.

***

“Peter!”

Peter slipped the parcel inside his jacket and kept walking. It’d been a long day and a longer night, and all he really wanted to do was rest his head on a pillow. The meeting had gone past midnight. There was no set hour when these things ended. Basically, when everyone had drained themselves of anything else to say, they all broke up and went their separate ways. He’d nearly been late for this one because he’d forgotten the time. After he had stepped out of the dilapidated lawyer’s office, Peter had stepped into a pastry shop and asked the old shopkeeper if she could spare him anything for a late night snack.

“Peter?” Remus had followed him for blocks and Sirius trailed him. Peter had caught a glimpse of a black dog by the rubbish bin. James couldn’t be too far behind because Lily had opted to skip out on this one. “I know you hear me, and that’s rude. Is something wrong?”

“No.” Peter checked his watch and fell back on the usual excuse. “I have to take care of my mother because she’s not feeling well. It’s getting late, anyway, and I have watch tomorrow. Ouch!”

Something hard hit him in the back of the head. Peter bent down and picked up a chunk of bread.

“Ten points!” James caught up with him and matched his step. He stopped outside some flats and waved when he saw Lily coming up the sidewalk with a Labrador. “She knows she’s walking that mutt, right? Because it’s kicking her arse.”

“Pip, itch, itch!” Lily gasped when the dog charged forwards into the street. “Shit.”

A car swerved and slammed its brakes for a moment before it zoomed off. Sirius took over and starting playing with the dog, chasing it and fencing it in. At the last second, when Sirius thought he had him, Pip took off in the opposite direction, disappeared, and pinned Sirius to the pavement, bearing his teeth.

“What? That’s it?” James smirked when Sirius shifted into his form and Pip licked him to death. James knelt down and scratched the dog behind his ears. “I want one of these. Pip, is it?”

“Wasn’t expecting that,” said Sirius, taking Remus’s hand and getting to his feet. His jeans were ripped at the knee. He nodded. They all turned their heads and Gideon was standing at the balcony, three stories up, smoking a cigarette. “Who the hell is that? Isn’t he the one married to a pocket watch? How’d he, of all people, miss a meeting? He needs a drink.”

“Stop it,” Lily warned him. “That’s not even funny.”

Pip walked up to Peter and sniffed his clothes. Peter had never been too fond of dogs, especially big ones he didn’t know because they were so unpredictable. Why did this dog stick to him like glue? Peter listened to Lily say something about Gideon’s wife, and he failed to break the magnetic hold. He’d forgotten that he’d dropped by the manor earlier that afternoon to take Annette on a shopping trip and give her an opportunity to stretch her legs.

“Oh, yeah,” he said, throwing this out as an afterthought. “If you lot ever hear that I’m married and have shacked up with some woman, it’s not true.”

Peter held his breath for a moment, silently praying that did the trick, and they all roared with laughter.

“You? Married? Is it a lonely hag with one shoe, Wormtail?” James held the stitch in his side and clapped Peter on the shoulder. He caught the things that slipped out of Peter’s coat and waved them around for everyone to see. “Look it’s a blueberry muffin and a crushed chocolate bar for his dear.”

“Good one, Wormtail,” said Remus, smiling as he took the snacks from James and handed them back to Peter. “You’ll get a nice girl one day, and, hopefully, you won’t sign over your life before tying the knot like Prongs, who can’t see straight he’s so blinded by love.”

“Stop it,” said Lily, slapping him playfully on the arm and putting a finger to her lips. She took Pip by the leash and started up the rickety staircase. “Wait for me.”

“You’re not leaving, are you?” Sirius called after Peter when he turned his back on them. Peter walked to the end of the street and turned on his heel. “But we love you!”

“Yeah, I hate you, too,” said Peter, shaking his head and laughing along with them as he turned the corner.

He decided against Apparition because he wanted to clear his head. He stuffed the midnight snacks in his pocket, thinking Annette would have certainly passed out by this hour. He’d learned over these last few weeks that she was no dumb fool. He felt rather clueless himself about women, so he made a lot of mistakes, but she was rather patient with him. Bellatrix had warned him of her beguiling tricks, but Annette was nothing like his mother or Bellatrix had said. Of course, she wanted to get out and asked him a hundred times. Peter walked neither slow nor fast. When he showed up to the estate, nobody met him at the door. The Dark Lord hadn’t asked him to divulge much about the Order, just bits and pieces, and Peter, who honestly felt guilty about this charade, only gave whatever was asked of him.

He headed straight up to the bedroom and tapped his wand on the slithering chains, so that the lock would give. Peter could have headed straight home, and part of him wanted to. She wasn’t asleep. She sat in an armchair, a taper held aloft in her left hand and the afghan draped over her legs, reading some book. Lucius, who was dressed in his nightgown, got to his feet and headed towards the door. A laden tray lay on the bed.


“Starve to death,” he said harshly. “If you refuse to eat, you’ll be spoon-fed like an infant by my house-elf because you try my patience.”


He slammed the door behind him.


“Hi.” Peter gave her a weak smile and showed her the bag. Annette dog-eared the page, set the taper on the bedside cabinet, and sat on the bed. She picked up a fork and a knife and started eating her cold dinner. Peter picked up the novel, something he’d found in a consignment shop on a day out with Remus. “Le fanta””

“”The Phantom of the Opera.” Annette spared him the trouble when he shrugged and glanced at the cover of a white mask and a red rose. “You just picked it up because it had a French title? It’s all right because Gideon does that, too, but it helped him learn, so he struggled through a lot of literature. He absolutely hates this one because he’s still stuck on the first page, but it’s an old text.”

“You’ve read it?” asked Peter, sitting in the armchair and tossing the afghan over the arm.

“Translated it when I was eight,” she said, taking a mouthful of soup and grinning when he gaped at her. “Albus, my tutor, taught me Latin and English through double translation over the summers. And you thought the old man disappeared over holiday? Professors have lives, too, Peter, and students tend to overlook that. No, he spent a great deal of his time in France with my grandparents when I was a little girl; my Mèmè can’t live without him, she says, and Papa grumbles and rolls his eyes whilst Albus just laughs. Phantom was part of my final.”

“Why do you do this?” he asked, gesturing at the dishes, which refilled themselves. Annette dug into her second helping and used her bread chunk as a second spoon.

“This,” she said. “I picked this up from Papa or Auguste, I suppose.”

“No. Why do you wait till he leaves before you eat? You never speak to him.”

“Peter.” She pushed the plate away and took a bottle of lotion off of the bedside cabinet. She slipped off her shoes and stretched out her legs. Peter admired her skill for dodging the subject to keep herself together; it gave him a certain satisfaction that she irked the people in this house, especially Bellatrix, for the hell of it. She leaned forward, barely reached past her knees and burst out laughing. “If I roll off this thing, please, please don’t leave me on the floor.”

“Erm “ tell me how I can help you,” he said, confused.

He thought about offering her the book again before he realised that would be really, really stupid. Annette gripped the bedpost and turned herself onto her side; she liked to feel a breeze, and the house-elf had left the window open a crack. With the Silencing Charm in effect, no sound entered or left the room, so she couldn’t use this as a cry for help. She said it was all right before she took his hand and pressed it to her side. Still lost, Peter merely stared at her.

“Start with circles, with your palms,” she suggested, resting her head. “If this is too uncomfortable for you, I understand, it’s just that I can’t reach.”

“No, no, I’ll do it.” he said, shaking thoughts out of his head and massaging her back. “Are you excited?’

She didn’t answer that, either. “Tell me about your friends. Gideon says you’re a bunch of idiots who clique with these nicknames. The tall man with the long, greasy hair called you something the other night. What was it? Wormtail?”

Her memory and attention to detail surprised Peter. He hated to be reminded of Severus Snape, and it bothered him more that the likes of him was visiting her.

“Did he hurt you?” he asked automatically.

“No,” she said, resting a hand on her belly. “None of you have hurt me, if I haven’t said that before, and I’m grateful for that. I want to go home.”

“Annie.” Peter waited for her to cry, but no tears came.

“Please don’t call me that. Peter, I don’t blame you, but I don’t understand why you would do this.” She didn’t sound unkind, and he honestly didn’t know what to make of that, so he let her talk. She took a deep breath and organised her thoughts. “Did you see Gideon at the meeting?”

Peter blinked and played that question over in his mind. “How do you ...? I don’t know what you’re talking about, Madame; I’m not his “ his page.”

“His scribe,” she said, “and it doesn’t matter how I know this. Assume I know everything. James, Sirius, Remus, Benjy, Edgar and one Peter Pettigrew, and I don’t know these people, just their names “”

“”all right, all right,” he said, moving away from her. He glanced over his shoulder, half-expecting to see one of the Malfoys walk through the door when it opened. Luckily, it was just the house-elf coming in to collect the tray. Peter waited until he could no longer hear Dobby’s pattering footsteps down the corridor. “You know too much. None of this concerns you. Bellatrix “ s-she’ll kill you.”

“You’re talking about my family,” she retorted. “My husband, my brother-in-law, and Albus, who is like my second grandfather, but you know that already, and that’s why I’m here.”

Peter put a finger to his lips, but it was too late to calm her, and Annette couldn’t take the words back. Bellatrix had opened the door, told Annette off for debating with her help, and took her wand out of her house robe. Her hair was dishevelled, for she, too, had been lying down. Annette, fed up with the threats, held her ground. She had no idea of Bellatrix’s talents, and Peter jumped to her defence.

“You’ve no idea who you’re dealing with.” Annette got to her feet and yanked her house robe off the bedpost post. “My brother, my grandfather, they will find you, all of you, and they will kill you.”
“You know, for a privileged brat, you’re not so naive,” said Bellatrix, “and you really do know what’s going on, so I’ll give you that, princess, but you won’t matter in the end. You don’t matter now, darling, because your faithful husband is fucking others who’ll keep his bed warm. And you? You are nothing.”

“No.” Annette shook her head vehemently. She spoke slowly, convincing herself to fall for the same defence. “He loves me.”

“He fucks you,” Bellatrix interrupted coldly, a smile playing across her lips. “Trust me, there’s a difference. He feeds you lies, and you’re too stupid to read between the lines. Look at you. You’ve probably never been with anyone else. He’ll regret that mistake.”

“Get out.” Annette crossed her arms. When Bellatrix made a move towards her and brandished her wand, Annette stepped back a few paces. “Don’t t-touch me!”

Keen as ever, Bellatrix picked up on that fear and used it against her. She froze. After a few minutes, thinking things had settled down, Annette let her guard down and looked out of the window, glancing over her shoulder and ignoring her growling stomach. When she saw Bellatrix out of the corner of her eye, Annette snatched up a bowl, her dessert, and threw it. Food flew in all directions and the porcelain shattered when it hit the wall.

Crucio!”

Peter stared at Bellatrix, shocked. She’d acted without thinking and Annette filled the room with piercing screams as tears streamed down her face. Her back went straight as a rod as her limbs thrashed; Annette fell on all fours, gripping the threadbare carpet, panting. Bellatrix stood over her as Malfoy and his wife came rushing in, and the house-elf was at their heels. Bellatrix, furious, gave her another hit of the curse for good measure, letting her anger drive her. She dropped on her knees, too, so that she was level with her prisoner, and made to grab her again, but Annette spat in her face.

“Bella,” said Narcissa warningly.

“Listen you little bitch,” hissed Bellatrix, holding Annette fast by the throat. “I’ll rip you apart and watch you die! Give me a reason.”

“Bella,” said Lucius calmly. “We are not to harm her because she is our guest. Let her go.”

“Bella,” added Narcissa, annoyed. “You’re a guest here, too, and we all have sworn to follow the Dark Lord’s orders without question. We’ll need her.”

Bellatrix got to her feet and walked out of the room. Lucius muttered under his breath and stared at the ceiling. Narcissa nodded and asked him to leave them alone. Peter turned to leave, too, but Narcissa took him by the arm and met his hopeful expression with a cold stare, so he sat in the armchair and flipped through the same damn book, opening it to a random page and boring a letter to his brain. Thankfully, he didn’t have to look at the sobbing woman on the floor, but it certainly didn’t mean he didn’t hear her; the novel didn’t help, so he tossed it aside.

Narcissa walked over to Annette and offered her a hand. When Annette stayed there, Narcissa rolled her eyes, praying for patience, and pulled her to her feet. She draped an arm over the woman’s shoulder, a sincere gesture. Honestly, Peter had learned in this short time that he’d been with the Black sisters that it was nearly impossible to decipher their true emotions behind their masks.

“I’m sorry.” Detached of feeling, it was a statement and nothing else. “It wasn’t supposed to go that far. May I help you?”

“No.”

“You cannot starve yourself,” said Narcissa, for her husband had already filled her in on the other problems. “We are not to harm you“”

“” you’ve no idea what that means,” Annette pointed out, shaken. “You’ve no idea of standards or laws. I doubt you’ve ever heard of the codes of the Geneva Convention, which we, the ones who have kept others out of your madness, marry ourselves. There is no grey area.”

“Madame.”

“Drop the act. You think nothing of me,” Annette cut in, composing herself. “Address me as filth or whatever comes to mind because you’ll be more comfortable with it, like your sister. I’m sure you think my husband’s fucked with your precious bloodline, so let’s be honest. It’ll come natural to you.”

Narcissa said nothing and turned to leave, but she rested her hand on the doorknob when Annette spoke again.

“Do you want children?”

Narcissa turned around, pale. “What did you just say?”

Annette didn’t repeat the question. “You’re a beautiful woman. Your features. It’s strange how they’re almost perfect, whatever that means, forgive the cliché, almost porcelain. Everyone turns their head for a glance. Your poor husband. My, Gideon would love just staring at you, hoping to catch a glance.”

Fury contorted Narcissa’s fine features, and Peter stared determinedly at the wall.

“Does Mr. Malfoy wear cologne?” asked Annette, bidding her time. “It’s just that you smell “ Eau de Cartier “ it’s a wonderful choice.”

Annette understood she walked a fine line. Peter couldn’t tell if she knew anything; she had nailed the truth with her suspicions. She opened the armoire, shrugged on her coat, left it open, and pulled on a scarf. After twisting her hair, she snapped a rubber band off of her wrist and wrapped a loose bun. It hardly mattered that she wore a nightgown; Peter had taken her on strolls like this before. He pulled on his travelling cloak, too, and sighed when she gave him the cold shoulder.

“Where are you going?” Narcissa demanded.

“Out.” Annette sighed when she blocked the doorway. “Please. It’s stuffy in here and I can’t look at you because “ I need to clear my head and I want some breakfast.”

“We gave you food hours ago,” said Narcissa, pointing at the wasted meal and grabbing her by the wrist, “and Dobby can bring you anything you’d like.”

“No.”

“Narcissa.”

Peter spoke up, though he felt sure it would do no good. When she left, he followed her and sealed the door behind him. It was odd having a conversation this close and not be overheard. An Imperturbable Charm proved a useful tool in tight situations like this one, and Peter, for one would not have thought of that solution on his own. Narcissa took a teacup off of a shelf and handed it over; Peter hadn’t noticed it before. She looked nervous, glancing over her shoulder, watching out for her sister or her husband.

“I’ve visited the apothecary and arranged a meeting,” she said, “and it may lead to another, I don’t know. This is all I could get. You’re staying tonight, so get comfortable, and I want you to get answers. Drink this.”

Peter took the thick brew down in one before he even thought to ask questions. The china fell to the floor and he cried out as his body shifted. Narcissa, not bothered by his limbs lengthening and hair roots shooting out of his skull, tossed him some wrinkled clothes and large dress shoes. When the effects wore off, Peter got up, feeling much taller and staring at his large hands. He felt his chin; there was a scruffy beard there and his arms felt tighter, muscular. He felt thinner and lighter, too, which surprised him more than anything else. Narcissa opened the door and Peter jumped back, jolted, for he looked in the mirror above the dresser and the grey eyes of one of the Prewett brothers stared back at him. Peter looked over his shoulder, but no other man stood in the corridor.

Annette, who had been looking out of the window, whipped her head around, speechless.

“Fool her,” said Narcissa, yanking him by the elbow and hissing in his ear. “You’ve met the man.”

“Yes, but”” Peter shut up, caught unawares by his deep voice.

“Mr. Prewett, we’ll give you an hour.” Narcissa gripped Peter’s shoulder. “Do not screw this up.”

Peter nodded. He let Annette walk towards him and played this by ear. He’d never been with a woman before, so he hoped that he’d learned enough to fake it from James, Sirius and Remus. Gideon’s clothes still carried a lingering scent of the cologne, and that’s the first thing Annette noticed when she leaned into him. Nervous, Peter opened his arms and patted her on the back. Narcissa, who didn’t buy the charade, crossed her arms and snorted. Annette spoke first, in French, of course. Peter rolled his eyes, and she picked up on that, and let her stroke his chin as he nodded.

She talks fast, he noted, smiling, and I am so lost.

Narcissa, laughing softly, closed the door. Peter, who couldn’t think of anything else to shut Annette up, kissed her. If this is what Gideon greeted when he got home from the office every night, Peter thought he was a lucky man indeed. He, Peter, would have married her just for this because she was the type of woman he’d ever have. He took his chances, hoping he made the right moves, wrapped his arms around her and rubbed her back. It started slow, and he’d thought she’d pull away, but she didn’t. Annette wrapped her hands around his neck, pulling him in, and he broke the kiss and gasped for air.

“You’re smoking again,” she sighed, taking his hand, “and masking it with cologne.”

“No.”

“Liar.” Annette didn’t sound angry. “Say something. You’re frightening me. Are you all right?”

“Annette.”

“I’m fine,” she lied, embracing him again and resting her head on his chest. “We’re fine. How did you get here?”

“I can’t tell you,” Peter whispered, feeling that answer would save him. He ran a hand through her hair, and it fell into a ponytail. He took a deep breath, and the words spilled out of his mouth as the minutes passed. Annette took his right hand and placed it on her belly.

“Can you feel her?” she asked.

“Hmmm.” Peter tripped over his foot and caught her, dead tired, so he led her over to the bed. “Let’s sit down. I’m not taking you home tonight.”

He came right out and said it, thinking it was best not to bait her hopes. Peter honestly hated doing this to her because she was a good, patient person. Annette looked down, and he followed her gaze and watched his right arm shake. He felt painful spasms shoot through his arm, but he bit his lip, and snatched it away from her before she could roll up his sleeve. The Dark Mark wasn’t branded on his skin, but he could still feel its presence.

“It’s fine,” he muttered, distracted, shaking his sleeve. “So “ so, you think it’s a girl?”

Annette rolled her eyes and laughed off his confusion. “You said you didn’t care, but then Fabian says it’s his niece, and you’re suddenly getting competitive?”

“No, but what if it’s a boy?”

“We’ll call him Alexis Michael René,” she said, exasperated, as if they’d been through this hundreds of times. “Since you’re damned and determined not to mark him with Auguste.”

“I don’t like him.” Peter had spotted that man in passing when he’d left the meeting.

“No, but you’ll be fine by next week,” she said. “I swear, if the two of you swung the other way, he’d be your faithful lover, but fortunately, he spared his sister to keep you close. You love him.”

There was a knock on the door, and Peter felt his arm shoot out of the socket. He groaned and shook his head, feeling his face twitch. Annette closed her eyes, kissed his neck, caressing him, and whispered, borderline seductive, “I miss you, my love.”

“Annette.” Peter tried to get to his feet, but his shoes slipped, and his lips touched hers. The door had opened, but Peter was so wrapped up in her that he didn’t care. He gasped, filling the effects of the potion leave his veins, but he still had time. His confession came out as a high-pitched squeak. “I love you.”

Annette took a double take and pushed him away, dumbstruck and horrified, getting to her feet and rushing into bathroom. She slammed the door.

Narcissa leaned against the door and greeted him with a cold smile. “Time’s up.”
End Notes:
Thanks for reading. Reviews would make my day.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=88827