Albus Potter and the Sorting Snafu by rjc917
Summary: Albus Potter starts his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, makes new friends, uncovers a dark wizard, and has his worst fear come true. Throughout the story, Albus will learn the secret of his father’s past, realize the dangers of judging by appearances, and come to accept what he once thought to be an awful fate.
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 6999 Read: 16320 Published: 05/26/11 Updated: 08/26/11

1. Chapter 1: Up To No Good by rjc917

2. Chapter 2: Platform 9 3/4 by rjc917

3. Chapter 3: A Bad Hattitude by rjc917

4. Chapter 4: A Long First Day by rjc917

5. Chapter 5: A Very Weasley Christmas by rjc917

Chapter 1: Up To No Good by rjc917
Albus Potter woke to the sound of something tapping on his window. As he blinked open his eyes, he noticed a small tawny owl with an envelope clutched tightly in its beak. Albus hopped out of bed and opened the window to let the little bird inside. The owl dropped the envelope in Albus’ hand and, its package delivered, flew off into the morning sky.

Albus stared excitedly at the envelope; he was pretty sure he knew what this was. Flipping it over and seeing the school’s crest on the seal confirmed his hopes. “But what if they send letters saying you can’t come? They probably do; they have to let the Squibs know somehow,” thought Albus. “I’d better read it to make sure.”

Inside the envelope was a letter from Deputy Headmaster Flitwick. Albus had been accepted! He was going to Hogwarts! Albus rushed downstairs to tell his parents the good news. Bumping into his older brother James in the hall, Albus yelled, “See, I told you I’m not a Squib!” while brandishing the letter in James’ face.

“Mum! Dad! I got my letter!” exclaimed Albus, bursting into the living room. His mother Ginny whipped around to face him, causing her long red hair to hit his father in the face and knock off his round glasses. As Harry stooped down to pick up his glasses, Ginny hugged her son and said “That’s great Al!”

“What’s great?” yawned Lily, who had just wandered downstairs, still dressed in her pink pajamas.

“Your brother just got his letter from Hogwarts,” Harry answered, standing up and straightening his glasses.

“Ooh I wanna go too Daddy!” exclaimed Lily, her red pigtails bouncing with excitement.

“You’ll get your turn to go to school soon enough, Lily. Right now you get to stay home and be my little girl,” Harry smiled.

Albus noticed his mother muttering something as her favorite enchanted quill began writing on the nearest piece of parchment.

“Whatcha doing, Mum?”

“I’m making a shopping list for when we go into Diagon Alley,” she answered. “We’re running low on Floo Powder and I’m all out of dittany, and Merlin knows we need it in this family, so I thought I’d pick some up when we get your school supplies and wand.”

“I wonder what kind of wand I’ll get. I hope it has a phoenix feather like Dad’s!” Albus said excitedly.

“Ya know Al, it’s the wand that chooses the wizard,” interjected James, who had now joined the rest of the family in the living room, “and the only wand that would choose you is a 7- inch pine with a fairy wing core.”

“Mum! Tell James to quit it!”

“James, if you don’t stop pestering your brother, you won’t get to go with us to Uncle George’s shop,” Ginny said sternly.

James agreed to behave, at least for the rest of the day, and the Potter family gathered around the table to eat breakfast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day Albus was admiring his new wand. Contrary to James’ prediction, it was 10 ¼ inches long, springy and made of birch. Most importantly to Albus, it contained the phoenix feather he wanted. Albus decided it would be a good idea to take a look at his new textbooks before school started; he was sure his cousin Rose was already halfway through hers. Albus was walking down the hall to his room where his books were when he heard a voice coming from his brother’s room.

“…up to no good.”

Albus entered the room and saw James sitting with what appeared to be an old piece of parchment in his lap. Albus thought his brother was paying an unwarranted amount of attention to the aged paper, but then James noticed who had entered his room.

“Hey Al! Come ‘ere! Take a look at this.”

“I’m not interested in one of Dad’s old essays,” said Albus. “I only came in here because I heard you say you were up to no good.”

“Aren’t I always?” smirked James. “And it’s not an essay, dimwit. It’s a map.”

“Ooh a map,” said Albus sarcastically. “I didn’t realize my brother was so fascinated with geography.”

“It’s a map of Hogwarts, troll-brain. It has secret passages on it and even shows where everyone is in the castle!”

Now Albus was interested. “But how can it do that?” he asked.

“Well ya see bro, there’s this thing called magic and …”

“Shut up,” glared Albus. “So where did this map come from anyway?”

“I found it in Dad’s desk a couple weeks ago,” James explained. “I knew it was something important because, well…Dad had some enchantments on the drawer.”

“So that’s why you had those green spots on your…”

“Anyway,” James interrupted, “I asked Uncle George about it yesterday. At first he just got this big grin on his face, but then he showed me how to work it. All you have to do is tap it with your wand and say ‘I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.’ When you’re done, just tap it again and say ‘Mischief managed!’ It’s going to be a fun year at Hogwarts,” he grinned.
Chapter 2: Platform 9 3/4 by rjc917
Author's Notes:
This chapter is primarily the Deathly Hallows Epilogue rewritten from Albus' point of view. Since I cannot change what J.K. Rowling said her characters said (nor would I want to), I naturally had to use her dialogue. This is only done to be consistent with HER story.



September first had finally arrived. The Potter family was driving to King’s Cross Station, Lily sitting in the front between her parents, and Albus and James in the back along with their owls, Athena and Elvendork.

“So Al, what House do you think you’ll be in?” asked Harry, looking at his son in the rearview mirror.

“I hope I’m in Gryffindor like the rest of our family,” answered Albus, “but I’d be happy anywhere, as long as it’s not Slytherin.”

“I think you might be in Slytherin,” taunted James.

“I won’t be in Slytherin, James,” said Albus.

“Yeah, you’re a bit of a duffer, so maybe Hufflepuff would be a better fit,” James laughed.

“Hufflepuffs are not duffers, James,” scolded Ginny, “they are kind, loyal, and hardworking.”

“Well Hufflepuff’s out then,” mocked James, continuing to badger his brother. “You don’t have the brains for Ravenclaw, and you’re too much of a wimp to be in Gryffindor, so I guess that leaves Slytherin after all.”

Albus was about ready to hit James when Harry commanded them to stop arguing. This worked for the rest of the car ride, but when they arrived at King’s Cross Station, the quarrel had started again.

“I won’t! I won’t be in Slytherin!” Albus shouted.

“James, give it a rest!” said Ginny, thoroughly fed up with the bickering.

“I only said he might be,” said a grinning James. “There’s nothing wrong with that. He might be in Slyth””

Ginny gave James what Albus liked to call “the look” and James fell silent. When they reached the barrier between platforms nine and ten, James smirked at Albus, took his trolley and sped off toward the barrier and vanished. Albus took this opportunity to ask his parents something he wouldn’t dare mention with his brother around.

“You’ll write to me, won’t you?”

“Every day, if you want us to,” said Ginny. Albus could tell his mother was glad he had asked, but he didn’t want to be the only student writing home to his mommy every day.

“Not every day,” he said quickly. “James says most people only get letters from home about once a month.”

Ginny laughed. “We wrote to James three times a week last year.”

“And you don’t want to believe everything he tells you about Hogwarts,” Harry added. “He likes a laugh, your brother.”

That’s for sure thought Albus. Together they pushed the trolley toward the barrier. Albus was glad he didn’t have to do it alone. When they reached the other side, Albus was overwhelmed by the sight of the massive, scarlet Hogwarts Express, which was surrounded by thick steam.

“Where are they?” Albus asked, looking around the dense mist for his cousins.

“We’ll find them,” said Ginny reassuringly. They did, but not until they came to the very last carriage. “I think that’s them, Al.”

“Hi,” Albus greeted his cousin Rose. He was relieved to see the familiar freckled face and bushy red hair.

While their parents talked and lifted the trunks and owls onto the train, Albus and Rose listened to the discussion Lily and Rose’s brother Hugo were having about which House they would eventually be sorted into.

“If you’re not in Gryffindor, we’ll disinherit you,” said Albus’ Uncle Ron, “but no pressure.”

Ron!” Aunt Hermione said indignantly.

Lily and Hugo laughed, but Albus was worried and he could tell Rose was too.

“He doesn’t mean it,” Albus' aunt and mother said in unison. Albus hoped so.

Ron was now indicating a point in the distance where three people stood.

“Look who it is.”

The man and his son looked very similar, both with sleek blond hair and pointed chins.

“So that’s little Scorpius,” Ron said quietly. “Make sure you beat him in every test, Rosie. Thank God you inherited your mother’s brains.”

“Ron, for heaven’s sake,” said Hermione with a stern expression on her face, though clearly amused. “Don’t try to turn them against each other before they’ve even started school!”

“You’re right, sorry,” Ron apologized, adding, “Don’t get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pureblood.”

Rose turned as red as her hair, but before her father could embarrass her any more, James came running up to them, looking excited and winded.

“Hey! Teddy’s back there,” he panted. “Just seen him! And guess what he’s doing? Snogging Victoire!

When the adults didn’t react, James assumed they mustn’t have heard him correctly and elaborated. “Our Teddy! Teddy Lupin! Snogging our Victoire! Our cousin! And I asked Teddy what he was doing””

Ginny looked appalled, though not surprised. “You interrupted them? You are so like Ron””

James ignored his mother and continued, “”and he said he’d come to see her off! And then he told me to go away. He’s snogging her!”

“Oh, it would be lovely if they got married!” chirped Lily. “Teddy would really be part of the family then!”

Albus had to agree it would be nice to have Teddy be part of the family. He started imagining what it would be like to have Teddy as an older brother, but snapped back to reality when he heard James say, “I don’t mind sharing with Al ” Teddy could have my room!”

That was definitely a bad idea and fortunately Harry agreed.

“You and Al will share a room only when I want the house demolished.” Harry checked his watch and then said, “It’s nearly eleven, you’d better get on board.”

Ginny hugged James and told him, “Don’t forget to give Neville our love!”

“Mum! I can’t give a professor love!” James complained.

“But you know Neville””

James rolled his eyes. His mother just didn’t understand what it was like to be a kid.

“Outside, yeah, but at school he’s Professor Longbottom, isn’t he? I can’t walk into Herbology and give him love. . . .” James then kicked Albus and said, “See you later, Al. Watch out for the thestrals.”

This worried Albus. “I thought they were invisible? You said they were invisible!

James just laughed and hopped onto the train to find his friends.

Harry turned to his son. “Thestrals are nothing to worry about. They’re gentle things, there’s nothing scary about them. Anyway, you won’t be going up to school in the carriages, you’ll be going in the boats.”

Albus was relieved. His father was good at calming his fears. But there was still one thing troubling him.

Albus’ mother kissed him and said, “See you at Christmas.” Albus thought that was an awfully long time to be away from home. His father hugged him and gave some last minute advice, but Albus wasn’t listening. His thoughts were on his one last concern.

“What if I’m in Slytherin?”

“Albus Severus,” whispered Harry, crouching down to look his son in the eyes, “you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew.”

Albus was still not convinced. “But just say ””

“” then Slytherin House will have gained an excellent student, won’t it? It doesn’t matter to us, Al. But if it matters to you, you’ll be able to choose Gryffindor over Slytherin. The Sorting Hat takes your choice into account.”

Albus’ green eyes lit up. “Really?”

“It did for me.”

Albus was amazed. He could choose which House to be in! He wondered if other students knew about this. If they did who would ever choose to be in Slytherin?

Albus noticed the train was about to leave and climbed aboard to join Rose. From this vantage point he detected quite a few people, on the train and on the platform, staring at his father, but he could not understand why. Sure his dad was head of the Auror Office, but that didn’t make him a celebrity. His mother was slightly famous, having been a professional Quidditch player, but she had retired years ago, before having James.

“Why are they all staring?” he demanded.

“Don’t let it worry you,” said Ron. “It’s me. I’m extremely famous.”

Everyone laughed. The Hogwarts Express lurched forward and began its journey. Albus waved goodbye to his parents and saw his father waving back until they rounded a corner and he was gone.
End Notes:
I really don't like the title of this chapter, so if anyone has a better idea, please suggest it in a review and I'll change it.
Chapter 3: A Bad Hattitude by rjc917
Author's Notes:
Albus meets new people and gets sorted.

“Where do you want to sit?” asked Rose.

“Let’s try to find James,” Albus answered. He didn’t particularly want to sit with his brother, but he didn’t know anyone else on the train.

They wandered down the aisle until they found James sitting in a compartment with their cousins Fred and Louis and two girls Albus didn’t know. Albus’ father had once said that James, Fred and Louis were a gang unlike Hogwarts had seen since the days of his father, James’ namesake.

“What are you doing here twerp?” James scoffed. “Shouldn’t you be with the rest of the ickle firsties?”

Albus felt his cheeks begin to redden. He knew James was only doing this to impress his friends. “We thought we might sit with you,” Albus answered.

James made a great show of looking around the compartment. “Can’t you see there are already five people in here? I suppose Rose can stay if she really wants, but you’ll have to find somewhere else.”

Albus turned to Rose. “Do you want to sit here?”

“No,” said Rose. “We’ll find another place.” Together they turned and left the compartment. When they finally found an empty compartment two cars back, Albus was about to enter, but Rose stopped him.

“I’ve been thinking Al,” she began, “maybe we shouldn’t sit together.”

Albus was hurt. Rose had always been the cousin he was closest to. Did she think she was too good for him now?

“Why not?” said Albus, offended.

“It’s not like that Al,” said Rose, realizing he had taken it the wrong way. “It’s just that this first train ride is really important. It’s where our dads met and became best friends for life. I just think it would be a good idea to meet some new people so we don’t only know each other.”

“I guess you have a point,” said Albus. He hugged his cousin and they went off in opposite directions.

Albus came to a compartment with only one occupant. It was the blond boy from the platform. “Mind if I sit here?” Albus asked.

The boy turned to him and shook his head.

“My name’s Albus, by the way. What’s yours?”

“Scorpius,” answered the boy quietly.

“That’s a cool name,” said Albus. Scorpius smiled.

When the trolley lady came by, Albus bought half a dozen Chocolate Frogs (he wasn’t allowed to have them at home) and a bag of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. He offered Scorpius a Chocolate Frog, but he declined.

“Father says it’s unbecoming of a Malfoy to accept gifts.”

“Oh,” said Albus, “well it’s unbecoming of a Potter not to offer.”

For a moment there was silence and then both boys started laughing. The two boys talked about everything from wands to Quidditch teams until eventually they reached the topic of Hogwarts Houses.

“So where do you think you’ll be sorted?” Albus asked.

“Well my whole family has been in Slytherin, but I’m not really worried about where I go,” Scorpius answered.

Albus was quite surprised by this answer. For one thing, Scorpius didn’t seem like he came from a family of evil Slytherins; he was a nice boy and fun to talk to. Albus also couldn’t believe how unconcerned Scorpius was. He thought all first-years were worried about what House they would be in; it was certainly his greatest concern. However, Albus hid his surprise as well as he could and simply responded, “My whole family’s been in Gryffindor.”

Before Scorpius could say anything, the train came to a stop. The boys quickly changed into their robes and joined the throng of students crowding the aisle of the train.

Albus found Rose outside on the platform talking to two other girls.

“Oh, hey Albus,” said Rose when she noticed her cousin. “Meet my new friends. This is Leah Jordan,” she said, indicating the dark-skinned girl with curly hair. “Her dad is good friends with Uncle George.”

“Nice to meet you, Albus,” said Leah, shaking his hand.

“And this is Holly Colfer. She’s from Ireland.”

The short brunette with the big smile waved happily. “Hi, I’m Holly!”

When they reached the lake, they discovered only four people fit in each boat, so Rose and her two new friends climbed in a boat together along with a chubby boy named Kevin Brock and Albus and Scorpius were left to find a boat of their own. They joined a boat that was already occupied by two other boys. The first, with sandy brown hair and an unmistakably Irish accent, was Patrick Finnigan. The second boy claimed his name was Algernon Bunbury.

Once in the castle, the first-years were greeted by Deputy Headmaster Flitwick, who was so small, he was almost trampled by the eleven-year-olds in their excitement. Unperturbed, Professor Flitwick stood on a book that was more than half his size and cast a Hover Charm on it. Floating ahead of them, he led the students into the Great Hall to be sorted.

Albus was amazed at the sight of the Great Hall with its long tables and enchanted ceiling. Of course he had heard plenty of stories about it, but it was different to actually see it for himself. At the front of the Hall, Albus could see the withered old hat that had once belonged to Godric Gryffindor sitting on a stool. Suddenly a rip near the brim of the hat opened up.

It yawned. “Is it that time of year again? I suppose you’re all expecting a song. Well there isn’t one this year, I didn’t get around to it.”

Albus was stunned; this did not seem like the Sorting Hat his father had described.

“Besides,” the Hat continued, “that was just a bonus I threw in over the centuries; it was never part of my original contract.”

“Well it is still your duty to sort the new students,” said Flitwick, “so let’s begin. Atherton, Aaron!”

A tall boy walked up to the stool, sat down, and proudly placed the hat on his head.

“Gryffindor,” the Hat droned. “Yippee.”

“Baldwin, Red!”

“Gryffindor again,” the Hat yawned.

Next, Kevin Brock, the chubby boy from Rose’s boat, became the first Hufflepuff and Algernon the first Ravenclaw. Rose’s friend Holly also joined Hufflepuff and “Creevey, Colin” became the third Gryffindor.

Albus began to wonder if a House could fill up. There were already three boys in Gryffindor and his name was in the later part of the alphabet. What if, when it was finally his turn, the Sorting Hat said, Well you should be in Gryffindor, but there’s no more room there. Albus tried to shake this thought out of his head and continue to watch the Sorting.

Patrick Finnigan was walking over to the Hufflepuff table and a large, ugly girl (“Grubus, Olga”) was putting on the Hat.

“Slytherin,” the Hat sighed. Albus took another look at the girl and swallowed. He definitely did not want to be in Slytherin.

The Sorting continued. Leah Jordan went to Gryffindor, Trisha Macmillan went to Hufflepuff, and Jezebel Madu, a dark, haughty-looking girl, went to Slytherin. Now it was Scorpius’ turn. Scorpius sheepishly placed the Hat on his head and, after a pause, the Hat said, “Slytherin.” Albus groaned.

Eventually Professor Flitwick reached the P’s. “Penfold, Jim!”

“Ravenclaw,” the Hat grumbled.

“Potter, Albus!”

The room grew quieter when Professor Flitwick read the name, but Albus thought it was just his imagination. He tentatively walked up to the front of the Hall and sat on the stool. He could see hundreds of eyes staring at him. He placed the Hat on his head and it slipped down over his own eyes; at least he wouldn’t have to watch everyone watching him.

“Well,” the Sorting Hat whispered in his ear, “another Potter. I’m going to tell you the same thing I told your dad” you’ll do well in Slytherin.”

“No,” muttered Albus, “not Slytherin, anything but Slytherin.”

“Yeah, your dad tried that one too. Not gonna work this time though.”

Albus started to panic. He had to convince the Hat he didn’t belong in Slytherin. He decided to take the offensive.

“You seem a lot different from how my dad described you,” he said to the Hat.

“Yeah, well you try being lit on fire and shoved onto a fat kid’s head and see if your attitude doesn’t change a bit!” the Hat retorted. “Now where was I?”

“You were about to sort me into Gryffindor.”

“Nice try kid. With cunning like that, you’ll be great in Slytherin.”

“But I don’t want to be in Slytherin!” Albus protested. “My dad said I’d be able to choose.”

“Yeah, well that’s only if I like you. Your dad was alright, but you’re a pain in the brim. I’m putting you in Slytherin and that’s final.” The Hat shouted its decision to the Hall.

Albus walked, head hung low, over to the Slytherin table and sat down next to Scorpius. His worst fear had come true. Over at the Gryffindor table, he could see James laughing and the Weasley cousins staring in awe. He sat with his head buried in his arms for the rest of the Sorting ceremony and nearly missed Rose being sorted into Ravenclaw.
End Notes:
Bonus points to anyone who can figure out where some of the names in this chapter came from!
Chapter 4: A Long First Day by rjc917
As Albus glumly walked to Transfiguration class the next morning, Scorpius tried to cheer him up. “Being in Slytherin isn’t that bad, Al. At least we’re in the same House together. If you were in Gryffindor, you wouldn’t know anyone; you don’t have any friends there.”

“Thanks. Telling me I don’t have any friends is a great way to raise my spirits,” Albus moped.

“You know I didn’t mean it that way.”

The two boys reached the classroom and went inside. The Slytherins had Transfiguration with the Hufflepuffs. Albus saw Patrick Finnigan sitting by himself and took a seat next to him.

“Hi Patrick.”

“Oh, hey Albus,” said Patrick, turning around to greet the voice. “Hey, you didn’t tell me you were Albus Potter.”

“Sorry,” Albus apologized. He thought for a second and then asked, “Wait, why does that matter?”

“Your dad is Harry Potter, right?”

“Yeah, he is,” Albus answered. “So what?”

“You mean you don’t know?” said Patrick, amazed.

Albus was getting frustrated. “Know what?”

“The professor is about to start. I’ll tell you after class. You’re going to flip.”

What could Patrick possibly know about Albus’ father that he himself didn’t? Could this have anything to do with why all those people had been staring on the platform? Before Albus’ thoughts could continue, the professor started talking.

“Good morning, everyone. I am Professor Hemming Walden and I will be teaching you the art of transfiguration. After the lecture, you will all attempt to turn a match into a needle. I don’t expect you to get it on your first try, but give it your best shot.”

Professor Walden’s lecture was long, but interesting. When Albus attempted to transfigure his match, nothing happened, but Professor Walden still praised him, saying the end looked a little sharper. Scorpius managed to turn his match silver, but it was still clearly a match and not a needle. Patrick wasn’t able to make his match take on any needle-like qualities, but he did cause it to burst into flames.

After class, Scorpius left to go study in the common room, but Albus caught Patrick in the hallway to resume their conversation. “What were you going to tell me about my dad?”

“Oh, right. I still can’t believe you don’t know. Your dad was the greatest wizard of the twentieth century!”

“He always told me Dumbledore was the greatest wizard of the twentieth century.”

“Well Dumbledore didn’t defeat You-Know-Who.”

“Who?”

“You mean you don’t know You-Know-Who?”

“No!” yelled Albus in exasperation.

“We need to get you to a History of Magic class,” Patrick laughed. “You-Know-Who was a really powerful Dark Wizard who killed a lot of people. Your dad stopped him as a mere baby to end the First Wizarding War and then finished him for good after he returned. Your dad’s a hero! My dad told me once that Harry Potter even broke out of Gringotts on a dragon, but I’m not sure I believe that one.”

Albus was dumbfounded. Was Patrick pulling his leg? How could he have never known about all this, if it was true? If anyone else knew about this, it would be James or Rose. He needed to talk to them.

Albus found Rose first. “You won’t believe what I found out in Transfiguration today!”

“I know, I know, you learned how to turn a match into a needle. They’ve been teaching that on the first day of class since our parents were here. They really do need to update the curriculum.”

“No, no, I don’t mean what I learned in class. Patrick Finnigan told me something about my dad. He said he was a really powerful wizard and a hero!”

“Are you sure?” asked Rose, getting out a book. “There’s nothing about him in my copy of A History of Magic, though this is an old edition; it was my mum’s.”

“Maybe James will know something,” mused Albus.

“Alright, you ask your brother and I’ll ask Professor Binns,” Rose delegated.

“Unless my dad was a fourteenth-century warlock, I don’t think Binns would know about him,” joked Albus, “but I guess it’s worth a shot.”

Albus found James down by the lake having a laugh with Fred and Louis.

“What’s up, Parselmouth?” James quipped to the amusement of Louis and Fred.

“You know I can’t talk to snakes, James,” Albus frowned. “I need to talk to you though.”

Fred and Louis noticed a pretty fourth-year walking by and left to go talk to her.

“Is there something I should know about Dad?” Albus questioned.

“He wears dorky glasses…what are you getting at?” James responded.

“Did he ever defeat a Dark Wizard?”

“Well he is an Auror, so probably.”

“I’m serious, James! Somebody told me Dad saved the whole wizarding world!”

James suddenly looked serious. “I guess it’s safe to tell you now. It’s all true. I found out last year, just like you, but Dad made me promise not to tell you. He almost made me make an Unbreakable Vow, but Mum wouldn’t let him. He probably won’t want you to tell Lil.”

“This better not be a prank,” said Albus cautiously.

“It’s not. I’m serious,” James assured him.

Albus stood staring into the lake. “I…I need some time to let this sink in.”

“Don’t worry about it,” James smiled. “It’s really not that big a deal once you get used to it.”

Maybe for you Albus thought, but simply said, “Yeah.”

There was clearly nothing left to say, so Albus began a slow walk back up to the castle. He was planning on going to his dormitory to take a nap when he remembered he had Potions class. Sprinting to the dungeons and nearly toppling a suit of armor on the way, he made it with less than a minute to spare.

The downside of getting to class late was that there were few seats left. Albus spotted Scorpius sitting next to Patrick in the front of the room. Scorpius indicated the occupied seat, looked to Albus and shrugged resignedly. Albus surveyed the classroom and found just two empty seats. One was next to a small, black-haired girl. The other was next to Olga Grubus.

“Mind if I sit here?” Albus asked. The small girl turned and shook her head.

“What’s your name?” Albus politely inquired, taking a seat next to the girl.

“Sarah,” she answered quietly.

Before the conversation could go any further, the teacher entered the classroom. Albus now noticed how surprisingly well-lit and colorful the room was, especially considering it was a dungeon.

“Good morning, class!” the teacher said, wearing a big smile. “My name is Miss Allegro, and I think we’re going to become great friends this year!”

Albus and Scorpius exchanged a sarcastic glance across the room.

“Today we will be brewing a Giggling Potion, which ought to put everyone in a good mood”not that you aren’t already of course. The first day of school is such an exciting time of the year, don’t you think?” Miss Allegro chirped. The class nodded apathetically.

“Since everyone here is new at making potions, you will be working with a partner so you can help each other out.” Students immediately began looking around the room for their friends, communicating their intent to be partners through all sorts of nonverbal methods.

“I think it will be best if everyone partners up with the person sitting next to them. After all, making new friends is such an important part of your first day,” Miss Allegro smiled. Albus and Sarah looked at each other, smiled awkwardly, and began gathering ingredients for the potion.

Suddenly a loud crash shook the room and Albus looked over to see Kevin Brock sprawled on the floor next to the scales he had dropped. Instead of helping him up, Kevin’s partner berated him for being careless.

“Poor Kevin,” remarked Albus to Sarah. “His partner seems like a real jerk.”

Sarah’s cheeks reddened and she turned away for a moment. When she turned back, she whispered, “That’s my twin brother, Steven.” Then even more quietly she added, “And you’re right… he is a jerk.”

Albus looked at Steven and then back at Sarah. “How are you two twins?” he exclaimed.

Sarah shrugged.

“You’re nothing alike. Come to think of it, how did you end up in Slytherin?”

“Well,” Sarah sighed, “I’m a Selwyn. My family has a long pureblood tradition, and even though most folks don’t care about blood status these days, my parents still do. I knew they would want Steven and me to be in Slytherin, or else we would dishonor the family. The Sorting Hat was going to put me in Hufflepuff, but I asked to be in Slytherin so my parents wouldn’t be mad. I really don’t like it though. You’re the first nice Slytherin I’ve met.”

Albus smiled. “Thanks. Scorpius over there is pretty nice too.” With all the ingredients in the cauldron, Albus began to stir the potion, watching it swirl around and thinking about something Sarah had said.

“So the Sorting Hat let you choose which House to be in?” Albus voiced.

Sarah nodded.

“That’s funny. I tried to do that too, but it insisted on putting me in Slytherin. I really didn’t want to be here,” confessed Albus.

“That’s strange that the Hat forced you into Slytherin,” Sarah remarked. “You don’t particularly seem like the Slytherin type. I thought maybe you asked to be put there like I did.”

“Oh, no, I would never choose to be in Slytherin,” said Albus, hastily adding, “No offense.”

“None taken,” Sarah grinned.

When their potion was finished, Albus and Sarah showed it to Miss Allegro, who told them they did a wonderful job and to have a splendid day. Outside in the corridor, Albus and Sarah were talking and laughing when Sarah’s brother confronted them.

“Hey Sis, did I say you could talk to this twerp?”

“She can talk to me if she wants to,” said Albus as bravely as he could. “And I’m not a twerp.”

“Oh really?” said Steven, who was much larger than Albus. “You look like one to me.” Steven then shoved Albus backwards and pulled out his wand. “Locomotor Mortis!

Fortunately, growing up with James (as well as countless older cousins) meant Albus was quite good at defending himself. Withdrawing his own wand, he blocked the Leg-Locker Curse with a quick “Protego!

However, this only served to aggravate Steven even more and he began to fire another spell. “Petrificus To-

Expelliarmus!” yelled Albus, using the spell his father had taught him and watching Steven’s wand soar through the air into his hand.

“What’s going on here?”

Albus looked up the corridor to see Professor Walden coming toward them.

“Potter took my wand!” cried Steven. “I was just trying to get it back.”

“If you’re going to lie, Selwyn, at least do it well,” frowned Walden. “The two of you come to my office. Miss Selwyn, as you were not involved, you may leave.”

Oh, no, thought Albus on his way to Professor Walden’s office. It’s my first day and I’ve gotten in trouble already. Maybe I do deserve to be in Slytherin.

When they arrived at Walden’s office, he asked the two boys to sit down in two large, uncomfortable wooden chairs. “As your Head of House, I am very disappointed in the two of you. It is bad enough to get in a fight, but it is even worse to quarrel amongst your own House. I am afraid I will have to take twenty points from Slytherin.”

Steven groaned. Albus stared into his lap.

“I am also giving Mr. Selwyn a month’s detention. I expect to see you here tomorrow at seven.”

“What about Potter?” griped Steven.

“I am about to deal with him,” Walden scowled. “Now leave my office. I’m done with you.”

Steven stood up and sulked out of the room, glaring at Albus on the way out.

“So how much detention do I get?” gulped Albus.

“None,” answered Walden.

“Huh?” said Albus, confused.

“That was some impressive dueling back there.”

“Well I learned some stuff from my dad,” replied Albus sheepishly. “He’s Head Auror.”

“Oh, I know all about your father.”

Of course he does thought Albus. Everybody knows about my dad except for me.

“You’re going to be a powerful wizard some day, Albus. You’ve got potential.”

“Umm, thanks sir. Am I free to go now?” Albus asked hesitantly.

“Of course,” Walden answered.

Albus rose from the uncomfortable chair and sped off to the Great Hall to find Scorpius, hoping there would be some treacle tart left. It had indeed been a long first day.
Chapter 5: A Very Weasley Christmas by rjc917
The first few months of school went by like a flash, and before Albus knew it, he was home for the holiday break. Christmas with the extended Weasley family was a hectic affair. The family had long outgrown the Burrow’s bedroom capacity, but Christmas morning’s festivities were still held there.

Aunt Fleur, Aunt Audrey and Aunt Hermione were in the kitchen helping Albus’ grandmother prepare dinner. Aunt Angelina, Uncle George, Uncle Charlie and Albus’ mother were outside playing a short-sided game of Quidditch with James, Fred, Louis and Dominique. Teddy was using his gift as a Metamorphmagus to entertain Lucy, Roxanne, Lily and Hugo by impersonating various relatives. Albus had to admit Teddy’s impression of Uncle Percy, who was sitting in the corner reading the Daily Prophet, was spot on. Albus’ grandfather was snoring away in a chair, Victoire and Molly were gossiping and Rose was reading a book.

Albus had decided to use this Christmas commotion as a cover to talk to his father in private. He had still not confronted him about the rumors he had heard at school. Albus didn’t know what he was hoping to hear, but he had to hear it from his dad, not anyone else.

He found his father reminiscing with Uncle Ron in Ron’s old bedroom. Albus didn’t want to interrupt their conversation, so he stood outside the door until they were finished. While waiting, he couldn’t help but overhear a few things:

“It’s been nineteen years, mate, but we’ve finally captured almost all of ‘em.”

“Yeah, almost all of them,” sighed Harry. “There’s still some more out there.”

“Like Rodolphus Lestrange,” scowled Ron. “I wish we could put him away for Neville.”

“No one’s seen him since the Battle of Hogwarts though. It’s like he vanished.”

“Who knows? Maybe he was crushed by a giant and we just never found the body,” suggested Ron hopefully.

“Well at least if he is still out there, he’s not causing any trouble.”

“Yup,” agreed Ron. After a long silence, he said “Well, mate, I’m going to go wake up Bill and see if he wants to join the Quidditch game outside. Care to play?”

“I think I’m going to take it easy,” Harry declined. “My back’s been bothering me lately.”

“And you thought you were done with pain once your scar stopped hurting,” Ron laughed. “Welcome to old age.”

Albus had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit by the door when Ron threw it open.

“Whoa, Al! You scared me there,” said Ron, who clearly had not been expecting to see an eleven-year-old boy standing outside his door.

“I just came up here to talk to my dad,” Albus replied.

“All right, well I’ll see you at dinner.” Uncle Ron then went off to wake up Uncle Bill, and Albus entered the room.

“Hi Dad. Can I talk to you?”

“Sure, Al. What’s up?”

Albus had spent months rehearsing this speech, but he forgot all about that now and simply blurted out, “Are you famous?”

“Yeah…I guess we need to talk. I probably should have told you all this sooner…”

* * *

“So now you know,” Harry finished. “Don’t tell your sister yet; I want to wait till she’s older. Most importantly, don’t let this trouble you.”

“I won’t. Thanks Dad,” Albus smiled, turning towards the door.

“Before you go, Al, there’s something I want to give you.” Harry waved his wand and a parcel floated into the room. Albus carefully opened it to reveal a gleaming, silvery cloth.

“Is this””

“An Invisibility Cloak,” Harry nodded. “Actually, this is a very special Invisibility Cloak that has been passed down through this family for generations.”

“Why didn’t you give it to James?”

“He can get in enough trouble without it.”

* * *

“So, did you get anything cool for Christmas?” Scorpius asked Albus in the Slytherin common room.

Looking around to make sure they were alone, Albus pulled the Invisibility Cloak out of his trunk and said triumphantly, “Yeah, this.”

“Whoa! All I got was a Nimbus 2000. Do you know how old those things are?”

“So do you want to try it out?” offered Albus, wrapping the cloak around himself and watching his body disappear.

“Sure! What do you have in mind?”

“Oh, just a little prank on my brother,” Albus grinned.

* * *

Albus and Scorpius stood huddled under the Invisibility Cloak outside the portrait of the Fat Lady on the seventh floor.

“How are we supposed to get in?” Scorpius questioned.

“We wait for someone to give the password, and then we sneak in behind them,” answered Albus.

“And what if no one comes?”

“Stop complaining. Look, here’s a Gryffindor now.”

Albus and Scorpius watched quietly as Leah Jordan said the password to the Fat Lady and the portrait swung open. They quickly climbed through the hole before it closed again, making sure not to bump into Leah. Slowly creeping up the stairs to the boys’ dormitory, Albus gently opened the door and went inside.

Fortunately, the room was empty, so the boys were free to remove the cloak. They searched the room for James’ trunk, and when they found it, Albus snatched the old bit of parchment inside before slipping the cloak back on and returning to the Slytherin common room.
End Notes:
Loved it? Hated it? Think I should have done something differently? Let me know!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=89005