Albus Potter and the Headmaster's Portrait by rbyanes
Summary: An older Harry Potter takes his son Albus to see Professor Snape's portrait at Hogwarts seventeen years after the conclusion of the Deathly Hallows
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2955 Read: 6001 Published: 06/05/11 Updated: 06/17/11

1. ALBUS DUMBLEDORE AND THE HEADMASTER’S PORTRAIT by rbyanes

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE AND THE HEADMASTER’S PORTRAIT by rbyanes
By the time Harry Potter reached the stone Gargoyle that led to Albus Dumbledore’s old office, it was something of a relief. Though seventeen years had passed since his apocalyptic final battle against Lord Voldemort, there still did not seem to exist a place in all of the Wizarding World where his face and fame was not known. He supposed that he should not be surprised. Harry had first achieved reknown as an infant by surviving a killing curse. Why wouldn’t his actual defeat of Tom Riddle in mortal combat before the eyes of hundreds of witches and wizards surpass his initial notoriety?

It was a courtesy that the current Headmistress of Hogwarts, Freida Luminare, had agreed to keep the pomp and circumstance of Harry Potter’s visit to his alma mater to a bare minimum. The Headmistress had met Harry and his young son, Albus Severus, at the train platform with only a small delegation of teachers and students. Professor Luminare had managed to keep her enthusiasm about meeting the legendary Harry Potter to comfortable proportions…but the worshipful looks from the rest of the faculty combined with the barely suppressed zeal of the eight students present “ prefects of their respective houses, Harry deduced from the badges they wore proudly on their robes- left him slightly unsettled.

But Harry had taken the time to great each of them warmly and patiently. He shook hands. He signed parchments. And he smiled for every photo taken. Harry was under no illusion that some of these photos would not end up in The Daily Prophet or The Quibbler, and was already preparing an excuse to present to Ronald Weasley, his brother-in-law and partner at the Ministry of Magic Department of Aurors. He had saddled Ron with several mind-numbingly boring meetings today under the pretext of feeling “under the weather”. Now Harry wished he had at least hit himself in the face with a stinging jinx so he could tell Ron that, while he had indeed skipped off to Hogwarts without telling him, it was obvious to anyone with eyes that he was, at least in appearance, ill.

It was a measure of Harry’s fame that Albus was similarly fawned over. The Headmistress crouched down to shake his hand and tell him how excited she would be to have him as a student when he came of age. The other professors bowed and shook his hand and reminded Albus that, while he would be treated no differently than any other student during his time at Hogwarts, they looked forward to many “unprecedented achievements” in line with the Potter name. And during this time, Harry had noticed a rather animated discussion had broken out between the Gryffindor and Slytherin prefects just out of earshot.

It had been many minutes since Albus had blinked.

The delegation eventually made their way to carriages which would take them to the school. Harry had explained that to Albus while they were on the Hogwarts Express train that Thestral-pulled carriages would be their most likely means of arriving at the main gate.

“But where are the Thestrals?” Albus asked. To his naked eyes, there were only carriages present. To Harry Potter’s own bespectacled eyes, however, he could see the dark majestic creatures quite clearly.

“They are invisible, son. You can’t see them, but believe me, they are there.” Harry said as both explanation and reassurance to Albus. The boy accepted this with a simple nod. Harry was grateful: He had no desire to explain to his son why he could see them but Albus could not.

Harry and Albus Potter joined Headmistress Luminare in the lead cart as they journeyed forward. When they broke through the forest and into the open, Harry’s breath momentarily left him. There before him was Hogwarts Castle in all its Glory. For several seconds, Harry was no longer a Ministry Auror “ he was the young boy who for six years knew this place only as home. The high sun and cloudless sky gave it an ethereal shine that lit his heart afire. It was only as they got closer that Harry could see that the proud school still carried its scars from the terrible battle fought on its grounds seventeen years before. Some of Harry’s joy dissipated as he remembered those dark hours prior to that final duel…those terrible hours…

“Dad, is your head okay?” Albus asked quietly.

“Yes, Harry, are you alright?” Freida asked, concern lining her usually vibrant face.

It was only then that Harry realized he was rubbing the lightning scar on his forehead. Warmth rushed to his cheeks and he offered a sheepish smile of embarrassment.

“Sorry,” he said. “Yes, thank you both, I’m fine.”

“But dad, you said that when your scar used to hurt it meant-“

“No, no!” Harry said quickly, seeing rising alarm on the Headmistress’ face. “I swear it doesn’t hurt. It hasn’t hurt me in seventeen years, since before that last fight in the Great Hall. I was just looking at my old school “ and soon to be your new school, son “ and thinking that both she and I have scars. I guess that ties me to Hogwarts, and she to me…now and forever.”

Tears formed in Freida Luminare’s eyes, and Albus put his arm around his father’s waist. Harry returned the embrace and rested his chin on his son’s head. And his despair lifted, as suddenly as if he had cast a Patronus charm. Harry kissed Albus’ head and thought to himself that his son was better than anything he could conjure up from his wand.

After passing the main gate, Harry and the others dismounted the carriages and proceeded on foot. They crossed the courtyard to the huge double doors in all their majesty. They arrived at the Great Hall where, at Luminare’s insistence, Harry told the story of his final duel with Voldemort. Only his audience was no longer just his entourage: It seemed that news of the arrival of Hogwarts most famous alumnus had spread like wildfire. So by the time Harry was standing in the same spot he had stood seventeen years before, wand drawn, ready to end the Riddle nightmare once and for all, it seemed that the entire student body and faculty had amassed to hear him say, “Expelliarmus!!!!”

A chant began, “Harry! Harry! Harry!” Even members of Slytherin House, never a fan of his in all the years he had attended the school, was cheering with vigor. But nothing filled Harry with more pride than the look of awe in his son’s eyes. Harry and Ginny Potter had told their three children on many occasions about the legendary events that had taken place during their years together at Hogwarts. Their oldest son James always jumped up and exaggeratedly played his father’s part, using Albus as a Dementor or Death Eater when needed. Lily Potter usually sat in Ginny’s lap, squeezing her tight during the more intense parts of their story. But it wasn’t until this moment that Albus could see his father in the role of hero without the constant distraction of his rambunctious older brother.

When the commotion died down several minutes later, Headmistress Luminare thanked Harry Potter for sharing his tale of heroism and then asked the Professors and Prefects to begin shooing their students back to class. It was then that Harry locked eyes with Neville Longbottom, his old friend and classmate. Neville Longbottom, the brave Gryffindor who slew Voldermort’s snake, Nagini, just when all hope seemed lost during the final battle. He was now a Professor of Herbology at Hogwarts, and considering the intense competition by students to get into his class, Neville's role in Harry Potter’s victory seventeen years prior had not been forgotten.

Overlooking the impenetrable sea of students and teachers between them, Harry smiled and raised his hand in greeting. Neville smiled back and then reached into the breast pocket of his jacket. He fumbled about for just a moment and then pulled out a gold galleon. Holding it up between his fingers, he mouthed something: Dumbledore’s Army.

Harry’s heart caught in his throat and mouthed the old battle cry back.

Neville nodded and then joined the other Professors in corralling their students. Harry took Albus’ hand and turned to leave the Great Hall. Only Freida Luminare stayed with the Potters as the three made their way to the Gargoyle statue at the foot of the spiral stairs.

“And here, my dear Misters Potter,” the Headmistress said, “I take my leave of you for now. My office is yours. I will be retrieving Hagrid from Etiquette for Giants Class so you can surprise him at his hut.”

“Hagrid never had any problems with manners when I knew him,” Harry said, a little more defensively than he had intended.

A look of surprised confusion appeared on her face momentarily, and then broke out in a delighted smile.

“Oh Harry! He isn’t taking this class. He’s teaching it to Grawp and the other Giants! Since the fall of Lord Vol- um, Thingy, the Giants have sued for peace and wish to improve their relationship with the rest of the Wizarding World.”

Harry laughed and said, “That’s brilliant! Thank you, and yes, we’ll meet you at Hagrid’s soon.”

They turned to the Gargoyle guarding the staircase.

“Password?” It asked.

“Fawkes,” said Luminare.

The gargoyle nodded and swung aside. And so Harry and Albus walked up the spiral staircase and opened the door to the Headmistress’ office.

Harry was almost grateful that he hardly recognized the office now. Freida Luminare had set the room to match her personality “ warm, bright, colorful. It was so far removed from the Albus Dumbledore’s décor that Harry didn’t experience what he thought would be a trip into painful remembrance for the former Headmaster.

One thing that had not changed was the portraits that lined the room. All of the deceased Headmasters of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry had their living portraits on the walls before him. The most recent addition was Minerva McGonagall, almost four years ago. He cast a mourning look towards her portrait and watched his old teacher asleep in her chair.

But he was not here for her today. He was here to see-

“Professor Snape?” Harry asked tentatively.

An imposing man dressed in black robes looked down at him from a portrait just behind and above Professor Luminare’s desk. His dark eyes stared down at him over his long hooked nose, his face partially covered by shoulder-length greasy black hair.

“Mr. Potter,” he answered. “To what does the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry owe the honor of a visit from the Chosen One? Perhaps the Ministry has decided to decree another day of the year on your behalf?”

Harry Potter bristled reflexively. It was over his objection that Kingsley Shacklebolt had designated the anniversary of his defeat of Lord Voldemort as “Harry Potter Day”. Given the sacrifice of so many, it seemed too selfish for the day to be named after him alone. Harry had argued that at the very least Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger deserved a similar accolade.

His best friends would have nothing of the sort.

“Harry,” Hermione had said firmly in Kingsley’s office. “While Ron and I did play our parts, it’s always been just you and he, Harry. From the moment he gave you that scar, it was your destiny to finish him.”

“Yeah, mate,” Ron quickly agreed. Harry had observed that since the destruction of the locket horcrux, Ron was quick to agree with Hermione on just about everything. The fact that Ron’s support had earned him a squeeze from Hermione’s held hand did not escape his notice either. “Besides, I already got my celebrity honor squared away.”

“I don’t think “Weasley is Our King” really counts, Ron!” Harry exclaimed.

“You gotta listen to the lyrics the Weird Sisters put to it, Harry!” Ron exclaimed. “It’s quite catchy. I bet even the muggles could put a dance to it if they tried…”

“Still here, Potter?” Snape said, interrupting his reverie. “Focus was never quite your strong suit.”

“Sorry, Professor,” Harry said quietly. “It’s just been a lot to take in, being back here and all.”

“Obviously,” Snape drawled. “Perhaps you seek Professor Dumbledore, then? He’s not here. “

Harry looked to Albus Dumbledore’s portrait. It was empty.

“You must understand, Potter, that while Albus Dumbledore was fine to relinquish his life under the circumstances you know all too well, he continues to take his responsibilities as former headmaster of this school very seriously.”

Harry couldn’t help but smile. Dumbledore would never allow the triviality of death to interfere with his duties to Hogwarts.

“Um, actually, sir, we didn’t come to see Professor Dumbledore,” Harry said solemnly. “We came to see you.”

Severus Snape’s eyes narrowed over his long nose as he pierced Harry with a look.

Young Albus Potter, who had found some sanctuary behind Harry’s leg, hesitated only slightly as his father pulled his hand so he could stand in front of him. Harry placed his hand on both his son’s shoulders and looked up at the portrait.

“Professor, I wanted you to meet my youngest son. This is Albus Severus Potter.”

Snape’s face remained set in stone, and many seconds passed with not a word coming from his lips.

Finally, just as Harry began to question the wisdom of this particular venture, Professor Snape lifted his chin and said, “Albus Severus Potter, come closer and look at me.”

Albus took a reluctant step forward, his brilliant green eyes meeting the black eyes studying him from inside the portrait.

“Tell me, young Potter, is it your intention to join us here at Hogwart’s School of Witchcraft and Wizardry when you reach the proper age?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Indeed,” Snape said slowly. “And tell me, young Mr. Potter: Do you actually have any aptitude when it comes to magic?”

Albus swallowed hard, and Harry fought the urge to interject on his son’s behalf. He remembered Professor Snape’s innate ability to make witches and wizards feel so small one would need a Marauder’s Map to find what was left of one’s pride.

“I-I can do some jinxes and such,” Albus answered quietly. “I have not yet been to Olivander’s to get a wand, Professor, but I will soon.”

“Of course, jinxes and such,” Professor Snape said with a quick glance to Harry. “But those talents will only get you so far at Hogwart’s School. Are there any other magical skills you possess that would make your tenure here at this institution worth the time the teachers here will invest in the son of the Chosen One?”

Albus Severus Potter nodded slightly and said, “Potions, sir. I’ve read some books that mum and dad have around the house and I'm quite taken with potions, professor.”

Snape looked from Albus to Harry and back again. Harry smiled while Albus stood stoically under the scrutiny of the man in the portrait.

“Well, young Mister Potter, to read a potions book is one thing. To actually understand the subtle science potion-making is something else entirely. And the application of such knowledge in real life situations is even more challenging. For instance, young Mister Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?”

“A goat’s stomach, sir.” Albus answered so quickly that somewhere in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, surely Hermione was smiling. “Bezoars are very helpful against most poisons.”

“Very well said, young Mister Potter,” Snape said approvingly, then with a leer to Harry. “You would be surprised how many first year students of celebrity stare blankly when confronted with such a simple question.”

Harry Potter studied his shoes intently.

“Thank you, Professor Snape.” Albus said earnestly, with just a touch of pride coming to his voice. “I really do find the subject very interesting.”

Severus Snape looked at unblinkingly at Albus Severus, a slight curl at his lip which Harry would have sworn might have been a smile on any other face.

“Well gentlemen, as interesting as this visit has been, I am already late to a Slytherin Loyal Order of True History meeting. I am sure the members of that society will impose on me again to relate the tale of how one Severus Snape almost single-handedly pushed the great Harry Potter past the finish line in his great battle against Ravenclaw’s most wayward pupil, the Dark Lord Voldemort.”

“But sir!” Harry interjected “Voldemort was from Slytherin House.”

“Not to hear them tell it,” Snape said drolly.

“Well, Professor,” Harry said solemnly. “Thank you for your time.” He took Albus’ hand and began to walk towards the door. Albus followed. They had almost reached the door when a voice called out behind them.

“Young Mr. Potter?”

Harry and Albus stopped and turned back to Professor Snape.

“It might be… in your interest to stop in from time to time once you begin your formal education here. Given the Potter legacy of mischief at Hogwarts I might…be able to help keep you from the kind of trouble you would surely find yourself in here otherwise.”

Albus nodded, smiled, and said, “I would like that, sir. And thank you.”

Severus Snape nodded to Albus, then Harry, then watched them as they turned away again and walked out of the Headmistress’ office.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=89086