Boy or Girl? by Mom2Rose
Summary: Lily and James Potter have recently learned that they are expecting their first bundle of joy. Despite the threat that hangs over their world, they each have their own desires for what their offspring will be.
(This is a one-shot in honor of all the parents out there who would lay down their lives for their children. Thank you!)
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 902 Read: 2318 Published: 06/19/11 Updated: 07/03/11

1. Boy or Girl? by Mom2Rose

Boy or Girl? by Mom2Rose
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Racing Co. for beta-ing my story. Any mistakes still evident are mine as I was anxious to post my first story (even if it isn't readable for a week) on Father's Day as I dedicate this story to my wonderful husband, the father of our own personal "Rose." I love you forever.
Boy or Girl?


A young couple spooned on an oversized black sheepskin rug in front of a roaring fireplace, the smug husband’s arms wrapped around his glowing wife’s stomach. Pictures with moving images of their best friends adorned the mantel, along with green and red garland. Miniature candles illuminated the fragrant pine tree that was decorated with halo-adorned cornish pixies, the angel topper a replica of the lady of the house. Multicolored packages of various shapes and sizes filled in all the space between the lowest branches and the hard-wood floor. Snow fell outside the Godric’s Hollow cottage while carolers sang What Child Is This?

“So, Lily Belle,” James broke the near silence, “are you hoping for a boy or a girl?”

“I don’t care as long as it’s healthy,” Lily tried to assure him.

“Oh, please, Lil,” griped James, “that’s what you’re supposed to say.”

The mother-to-be turned in frustration to face the father of her child. “Okay, so what do you want?”

Her husband answered immediately, “A little girl.”

“Really?” she asked in shock.

“Yes, as long as she’s just like you,” the young man qualified.

“And why do you want her to be just like me?” Lily asked, extremely curious.

“Because you’re what captured my heart.”

Lily’s own heart swelled at the accolade, and she smiled at the love of her life. “Anything in particular about me that you want her to have?”

“To begin with,” he said as he lifted her shirt and placed his wand hand back on her still-flat stomach, “your kind, moral, and loving heart,” James informed his wife as he looked into her sparkling emerald eyes and placed his other hand over her warm and compassionate heart. “Next, I want her to have your brains. She’ll need to be able to defend herself among other things, and you are, after all, the Charms and Potions whiz.”

“You know a lot of that had to do with Se” a lot of hard work and studying, not genetics.”

“Whatever it was, you still got more N.E.W.T.s than I did,” James reminded her.

“Imagine that, the Muggle-born outperforming the pure-blood,” teased Lily.

“We know no child of ours will have that problem…unless she’s a Squib,” he suddenly realized.

“Would you be ashamed if we had a Squib?” Lily asked with some concern.

“Surprised, definitely. Sympathetic, to be sure. But not ashamed,” the father-to-be shook his head. “I could never be ashamed of anything you produced.”

Lily gazed into James’ eyes where the firelight reflected back to her. “That’s sweet, but she is half you, mister.”

“She’d better be,” the father-to-be jokingly threatened, then kissed the non-existent baby-bump. “In that case, what of me do you want her to have?”

Lily’s wand hand caressed lovingly over James’, then around her stomach, anxious for when the time came that she’d be able to feel the life inside her kick.

“Your imagination, sense of humour, determination, tenacity, desire for adventure, and loyalty,” Lily told him without missing a beat. “Oh, and I guess your Quidditch skills, too.”

James chortled. “Naturally. It’s in the blood,” he stated matter-of-factly. “What house do you think she’ll be sorted into?” he asked as a finger traced around Lily’s bellybutton in the shape of a lion.

“Gryffindor, of course. Unless she’s smarter than she is brave, in which case she’ll be in Ravenclaw.”

“Hmm, guess it could be worse,” James agreed. “One more thing from you, though,” he remembered as he combed his free hand through Lily’s lush burgundy locks, “I want her to have your silky hair.”

Lily smiled at the compliment before she wondered aloud, “And what if it’s a boy?”

“In that case, he needs to be nearly identical to me,” he replied in all sincerity.

“I suppose that’s not too bad,” ribbed Lily, “as long as he stays out of trouble.”

James patted Lily’s belly. “Don’t worry, we’ll always watch over him, and I’ll teach him how to avoid trouble, or at least capture.”

She guffawed, “You mean you’ll loan him your Cloak?”

“Hey now, there’s more to creating mischief and mayhem without getting caught than that.”

“You’re incorrigible,” she tittered and shook her head ever so slightly.

She then combed her own fingers through the unmanageable ebony tousle on the top of James’ head. “Let’s just hope that he doesn’t have to deal with this mess.”

“I don’t know about that, it can come in handy,” he argued before he did his signature move, which caused the grown woman to feel like a giddy schoolgirl and giggle.

“If he’s the spitting image of you, personality and all, then how will people know he’s my son, too?”

James considered this for a moment as he kissed his wife all over her angelic face. “Guess you’re right, as always.”

He contemplated a bit more as he admired her features before he stated, “People need to see the beautiful soul he’ll inherit from you.”

James gazed at Lily’s bare stomach where he slowly traced two almonds on her soft skin as he conceded, “I suppose he can look just like me, except for the eyes. He should have his mother’s eyes.”
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed my "interpretation" of unintended magic. This was not the first story I've written for Mugglenet, but is the first I posted, so I hope if you liked this one you'll search out my other stories in the future.
Happing Readings!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=89202