Man in the Mask by MJ_Padfoot
Summary: Everyone wears a mask. For some, it's hidden and others it's in plain sight. What happens when we take off the mask? What happens when a third chance is given to us?

Severus Snape has been given this exact opportunity. Since his death, Snape finds himself somewhere stuck between the veil and the Wizarding world. As Snape finds himself moping around his old flat, he has unexpected visitors that change the rest of his existence. Can the trio help Severus? And will he, the man in the mask, revel more of his past?
Categories: Severus/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Pottermore Spoilers
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 8908 Read: 11450 Published: 06/19/11 Updated: 01/06/16
Story Notes:
This is dedicated to all of the past readers and reviewers since I left MFF. Now that I am back, I present to you a new tale from the desk of MJ_Padfoot. Please enjoy.

As always, everything and everyone belongs to Jo. I'm just playing with them. :)

1. A Mere Memory by MJ_Padfoot

2. Phoenix Tears by MJ_Padfoot

3. Lily's Request by MJ_Padfoot

4. Promise for the Prince by MJ_Padfoot

A Mere Memory by MJ_Padfoot
Author's Notes:
Well, here it is at last! The new story. I hope that you like it. Feel free to review! I'll respond to all of them.
Man in the Mask

Chapter One: A Mere Memory



"Look...at...me..." he [Snape] whispered.
The green eyes found the black, but after a second, something in the depths of the dark pair seemed to vanish, leaving them fixed, bland, and empty. The hand holding Harry thudded to the floor, and Snape moved no more. (DH, 658)


~*~


Everything was a blinding white. It was far too bright to look around and see anything, but that didn’t matter. Nothing mattered anymore. Not Hogwarts, Harry, Dumbledore; not even Lily Evans mattered. Everything was completed. My task of protecting Harry for Dumbledore was done. The outcome of the war didn’t matter anymore. Nothing mattered. I was dead. I was never coming back to the Wizarding world. At least, that is how it seemed.

As the brightness slowly started to fade away, I realized where I was: at a crossroad. Dumbledore was standing where the two paths diverged. I walked to him and we both stared at the two roads that we could take. “Dumbledore,” I started. He kept looking into the distance. “Where are we?”

“That, Severus, is a very good question.” He smiled his usual smile and continued. “My instincts tell me we are at the paths of the unknown. That is,” he said as he noticed my slightly confused look, “the choice of either passing on or becoming a ghost.”

“Well, why haven’t you decided?” The old man hadn’t changed his ways of indecisiveness.

“I felt like I should wait for Harry.”

I didn’t say anything. I was contemplating on what I would say to Lily after crossing over. I knew what I wanted to say. I was sorry, after all, for everything that I had done. But I had done my best to protect her son.

“You did tell Harry, didn’t you?” Dumbledore’s twinkling eyes looked at me.

“Yes, I did at the last moment. The Dark Lord didn’t realize the boy was there.”

“Good.” For a moment there was a solemn pause. Both deep in thought, Snape was caught off guard when Dumbledore spoke next. “Well, I suppose I’m going to continue to wait for Harry. It shouldn’t be much longer.”

“No, he should be here any moment now.”

“Excellent.” Dumbledore smiled. Slowly, the smile turned into a solemn look. I knew the look very well. Dumbledore was going to ask me to do something. “Severus.”

“Yes?”

“Are you going to go?”

I was slightly caught off guard again. “Yes, yes, of course I am.” I looked at Dumbledore for the last time and said, “Thank you, Dumbledore.”

He only smiled back at me. I took my first step onto the right path. Lily’s figure appeared and I was home.

~*~


The summer had been a hot one. In fact, it had been too hot. The days seemed faster than usual even though the summer holiday had just started. Nobody took the time to notice how quickly the summer seemed to slip away. The only exception was one person. For him, today would be another day of silent torture with no one to talk to. Nothing had changed since the Dark Lord had taken his life. His home, Spinner’s End, was continuing it’s enjoyment of the beginning weeks of June. Summer break was in session and all of the Hogwarts’ professors were preparing for the upcoming year. That is, everyone but Snape. Snape, who could almost feel the summer heat, was sitting in his arm chair next to the fireplace. His eyes were closed, and he was imaging himself tasting pumpkin juice or walking the halls of Hogwarts once more. But those days were long gone. They would never come back.

Time slowly passed. Severus didn’t know how long he sat”hovered”in the arm chair. Memories flickered through his mind. The first time he walked into Hogwarts”Meeting Lily Evans”Agreeing to Dumbledore’s wishes”Hearing the Prophecy”Becoming the Headmaster at Hogwarts”Meeting Lily’s son for the first time”Calling Lily a Mudblood”Making the Unbreakable Vow”Staring into those green eyes for the last time. Everything was just a lingering memory now. He was nothing more than a mere memory, stuck in between the veil and life.

Snape continued feeling nostalgic until he heard a voice. “Yes, this is it.” a familiar female voice said.

There was a clatter, a shuffling of feet, and the light switched on. Snape, getting to his feet quickly, pulled out his wand and glared at the intruders. Their backs were turned to him.

“Oh, come on, Hermione. There’s nothing here.” a lower male voice said.

Even though he knew they could not see him, he tried to hide the shock on his face after realizing who was standing in his living room. It was Granger and that Weasley boy snooping around for something.

“Harry!” Hermione called, “Harry, I think we found it.”

A slim young man rushed into the room. Snape walked closer to Harry and looked into his green eyes that he had last seen so many nights ago. They were Lily’s green eyes. Snape studied his face while Hermione handed him a ripped piece of paper. He looked exhausted. Snape couldn’t blame him. After all, it had only been days since he had defeated the Dark Lord.

Despite the exhaustion, Harry looked calm. He seemed to be happier than Snape could ever recall. Taking a few steps closer to Ron, Hermione and Harry, Snape peered around the group to see what they were looking at.
Snape shouldn’t have been surprised by what was in their hands. He had been the one who had shown Harry the mere memory of Lily’s letter. But curiosity got the better of him. Why did Harry want that piece of Lily’s letter?

“Perfect. Maybe this and the other letters we found will answer a few more questions.” said Harry.

“Yeah, hopefully, mate,” Ron said.

Ron and Hermione were now holding hands. Snape felt sick to his stomach. Though he wasn’t surprised by this relationship, it sickened him like it did when he saw Potter and Lily holding hands while walking the halls of Hogwarts. No matter, though. It wasn’t like he was ever going to leave this awful state of invisible ghost.

“Harry,” Hermione started, “do you think Snape”well, in theory”do you think Snape would’ve changed how he had treated her all those years ago?”

“Honestly, Hermione, I don’t know. After seeing those memories, I don’t know what to think, other than Snape was jealous and refused to move on after she married my dad,” replied Harry.

Snape studied Harry’s face as he said this. It was true. He couldn’t”wouldn’t”deny his love for Lily Evans, but he also couldn’t turn time back and change who he had become. Snape walked around to the front of the trio and continued watching the conversation.

“It’s funny though,” Hermione said as she looked at Ron and Harry’s confused looks. “It’s funny that it didn’t work out between the two of them. I wonder what happened.”

Harry, reading the last two words of the letter, looked up and his jaw dropped. “Professor Snape?”

Harry and Snape stared at each other for a moment until Snape spoke. “Yes, Potter?”

“Err . . .” Harry began.

“Harry, who are you talking to?” Hermione asked. Both Ron and Hermione looked from Harry to the spot where Harry was staring at.

“Professor Snape. Can’t you see him?”

“No, mate,” Ron said glancing at Hermione, “we can’t.”

Harry continued gawking at Snape. “Aren’t you de--dead?”

“Yes, I am. It’s rather a long story, Potter. I’d prefer”” Snape answered.

“Harry, let’s go.” Hermione said, sounding slightly frightened. “It’s been a long day. We’ll come back later.”

Harry glanced at Ron. He looked anxious from Hermione’s sudden interest in leaving.

“Right, let’s go.” Turning back at Snape, he shook his head and followed Ron and Hermione to the door.

*~*

Harry couldn’t help but feeling frustrated as they returned the Burrow. Why was he the only one who saw Snape? How come Ron and Hermione couldn’t see him? These were some of the few questions that Harry reflected upon while the trio traveled back to the Burrow. Harry had been quiet ever since they had arrived back at the Burrow. Hermione and Ron didn’t seem to take notice as seeing that they were both hurrying around to help Mrs. Weasley prepare dinner for the night.

It had only been days since Harry had the final showdown with Lord Voldemort. It felt like it had been an eternity since Harry, Ron and Hermione had left Hogwarts. It felt like it had been a long, drawn out year that took place in only a matter of days. The Weasley family was in shock. The loss of Fred hadn’t completely sunken in. George had taken into hiding in his room from everyone. It was odd for the Weasley house to be so quiet without the twins’ making their usual noise.

Mrs. Weasley would burst out into tears every time she wasn’t bustling around doing something. When this would happen, Mr. Weasley was usually their by her side comforting her. Ron had taken a great interest in cooking dinner and doing odd jobs around the house to keep himself busy. When he wasn’t doing that, he was usually sitting with Hermione; both of them talking to each other in hushed voices. The part that killed Harry the most was watching Ginny’s reaction.

She was quieter than usual. Harry couldn’t blame her though. She had, after all, just lost a brother. Ginny seemed to be coping a bit better than most of the Weasley family. It seemed that she found that sticking closer to Harry and going on long quiet walks with Harry eased the pain of the loss that the war had brought. Harry was glad that she would accompany him on the walks; it was nice to not have to put on a brave face sometimes.

When Harry, Hermione, and Ron arrived at the Burrow, Harry found Ginny sitting on the tree swing by herself. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to disturb her. So, instead of saying something to her, he began to walk to the familiar trail that went by the old swing. Harry figured that if she wanted to join him, she would.

As Harry was walking past Ginny, she called to him.

Walking over to her, Harry smiled. “Yeah?”

“Can I come with you?”

She looked happier today than what she had been for the past couple of days. “Of course.” This cheered Harry’s spirits. But nevertheless, the image of Snape still weighed on his mind. After some time had passed, Ginny spoke up. “Harry,” she began, “what are you thinking about?”

Harry sighed. Then he dove into what had taken place at Snape’s flat. Shock was written all over Ginny’s face after Harry had finished. “You mean, you actually saw him?” she said flabbergasted.

“Yeah, I did. The weird thing is I was the only one who could see him. Ron and Hermione couldn’t see him.”

“I wonder why . . . “ Ginny’s voice trailed off.

“Same. I think that I’m going to go back after the funerals. I want to see if he is still there.”

Ginny didn’t reply. They both knew that tomorrow was going to be an exceptionally long and painful day.
End Notes:
Keep reading!
Phoenix Tears by MJ_Padfoot
Author's Notes:
Just a fair warning, I'd grab tissues if I were you.
Man in the Mask

Chapter Two: Phoenix Tears



–Harry!” said a voice, –Harry! Harry! Wake up!”

Harry woke with a start. He could feel the sweat dripping down his neck as he reached for his glasses. After putting them on, he realized that Ginny was hovering over him. He smiled weakly at her. She looked frightened.

–Are you all right?” she asked.

–Yeah, I’m fine. Bad dream.” Harry replied. He had just experienced another nightmare of running through a blinding white and hearing a woman scream for the third time in a row that week.

As he slowly sat up, every inch of him ached. Even though it had been a week since the final battle had ended, he found himself still feeling exhausted from everything. Harry looked at Ginny. She was standing next to him, looking concerned.

–Are you sure you’re all right, Harry? You were murmuring something.”

–I’m fine.” But deep down, Harry new that he wasn’t fine. He had been scared while he was running. Besides remembering running, all Harry could remember was shouting something about leaving Godric’s Hollow. But why?

Harry didn’t know. He shrugged it off and realized that Ginny still wasn’t convinced. –Really, Ginny, I’m fine. It was just a bad dream. No big deal.”

Looking satisfied, Ginny sat on the end of the bed next to Harry. –Breakfast is ready. Ron and Hermione made waffles.”

–Sounds great.” said Harry, –I’ll get dressed and meet you downstairs.”

Five minutes later, Harry and Ginny were sitting at the breakfast table. Everyone was dressed in their dress robes. Today was the funeral for Fred, Tonks, and Lupin. Harry noticed that everyone except George was talking. Mrs. Weasley was going through the schedule of the day; trying to keep composure in front of everyone.

–And after we leave Tonks and Lupin’s services,” Mrs. Weasley said in a rather high-pitched voice, –we’ll go to Godric’s Hollow and have Fred’s.”

With the mention of Fred, everyone fell silent. George put his fork down and starred at his waffle. The bright cheerful smile usually splashed across his face was replaced with a depressed look. –Mum,” George said. His family, Harry, and Hermione all stared at him in disbelief. It was the first time that George had said anything at the dinner table since Fred’s death. Molly was the only one who smiled. George continued, –I’ve been thinking,” he slowly said, –I want to do something special at the service for Fred.”

Molly nodded. Her face showed the pain that she and the rest of the Weasley family felt. –Yes, of course dear. What did you have in mind?”

–Well, after we bring Fr--Fred,” George paused and pulled himself together, –after we bring him in, I want to do something during my speech. But I don’t want to say what it is.” George studied his mother’s face. Molly looked confused. He continued by saying, –I want to make it a surprise for everyone.”

Everyone nodded; including Mrs. Weasley. –Of course, you can, George.”

~*~


A half an hour later, Harry and the others found themselves counting down the minutes until the first funeral of the day. The services for Tonks and Remus were going to be held in the backyard of Andromeda Tonks. After everyone was helping Molly clean up breakfast, Harry pulled Ron and Hermione aside and explained to them that he had promised Andromeda to take Teddy during the funeral. He wanted to make sure that he had some time to spend with Teddy before the services began. When Harry asked if they minded if he went alone, Hermione said, –It’s perfectly fine, Harry. I’d want to spend some time alone with Teddy before the funeral too.”

After saying goodbye to Ron and Hermione, Harry, out of habit, went to go get his Invisibility cloak. As he was going upstairs, he heard quiet sobs coming from Fred and George’s room.

–I miss him too, George.” said Ginny in a hushed voice.

Through the crack of the door, Harry could see George sitting next to Ginny on his bed. Ginny had her comforting arm around him. They both were crying. Not wanting to interrupt, Harry continued walking upstairs when a loud CREEK came from the step he had just shifted his weight on.

–Harry?”

It was Ginny. Harry turned around and quickly said, –I’m sorry. I wasn’t trying to interrupt. I’m going to go see Teddy.”

Ginny, who still had tears running down her face, looked confused after Harry spoke. She was about to ask him something, but before she was able to say anything, Harry took his foot off of the next step and pulled Ginny close to him. Gently, Harry ran his fingers through her hair as she started to cry.

–Shhhh . . .” Harry said quietly, –It’s going to be okay. You’ll see him again.”

–I hope so.” Ginny said in a whisper.

He held her for a moment longer before she pulled away. After wiping away her tears, Ginny asked, –You won’t leave me, will you?”

Harry ran his fingers through her hair and lightly touched her face. –No.”

Smiling weakly, Ginny leaned in and they kissed.

It would’ve lasted a bit longer until they heard George laugh. –Ooohh . . .” he started, his eyes blotchy from crying, –You better go find a broomstick cupboard if you don’t want to be interrupted again.”

The three of them laughed. Harry, looking George squarely in the eye, said, –You know, George, I haven’t told anyone this but the night of the battle,” George looked down, –I saw my parents, Sirius and Remus.”

Ginny and George looked shocked.

–What do you mean?” asked Ginny.

–Right before I went into the forest to meet Tom, they all appeared.” Pausing, Harry continued, –Someone once told me that the dead never have truly left us until we leave them. Fred will always be with us. We just have to keep his memory alive.”

By now, Harry could feel the tears start to stream down his face. He, Ginny and George all wiped away their tears as George said, –Thank you, Harry. It means a lot.”

Harry smiled.

–George! Ginny! It’s time to go!” called Mr. Weasley up the staircase.

Harry cursed under his breath and said to Ginny, –I was supposed to go early to see Teddy.”

She nodded understandingly and said, –We’ll tell the others if they ask where you went.”

~*~


–Harry,” Andromeda said as she let him into the living room, –I was beginning to worry. I thought that you had forgotten to come early.”

–I’m sorry I’m late, Andromeda. I lost track of the time.” Harry had only arrived after he grabbed his Invisibility cloak and said goodbye to Ginny and George.

–Never you mind, Harry dear,” she said, –I’m just glad that you came early.” Andromeda looked tired as though she had missed several nights of sleep. There were dark circles under her eyes but still, she managed her warm smile. As Teddy began to fuss, Andromeda said, –Harry, why don’t you take Teddy and go find him his bottle. He’s about due for one.” she said.


Once Harry and Teddy were in the kitchen (Harry had somehow managed to hold his godson in one arm while looking for the bottle with the other), he heard voices outside the house. Andromeda answered the door and welcomed members of the Order.

As the minutes ticked by, Harry had finally found the bottle and started to feed Teddy. He did this, he watched the Order, the Weasley family, and a few unfamiliar faces talk softly amongst themselves. They were all outside, waiting for the funeral to begin. Ginny, Ron, and Hermione had all saved Harry a seat so he could take on the challenge of changing Teddy’s diaper.

Once he had returned, Ron teased Harry about having to do the dirty work. It was only then when Hermione pointed out to him that one day when he had children that his wife would probably force him to do diaper duty for punishment of making fun of Harry. They all laughed at this and once they had gained control of themselves, Harry handed Teddy to Ginny and whispered, –I’m helping bring the caskets in. I’ll be back.” As soon as Harry got up and left, a small wizard who closely resembled Professor Flitwick, stood at a very large pulpit and began to talk.

–Ladies and gentlemen,” he said in a very squeaky voice, –we gather today in honor of our friends Tonks and Remus Lupin.”

Harry watched Ginny and Teddy from a distance. He was sleeping as she held him close. Ginny glanced back at Harry and smiled. There was a long pause before he continued, –As we all know, they both died honorably in the battle of defeating He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Today, on behalf of the Ministry of Magic, we salute them for dying for the greater good.”

–Today, we honor these loyal members of the Order of the Pheniox for who they stand for and for the cause which they gave their lives for. With all of our deepest respect, the Ministry of Magic would like to present their family with a medal of gratitude.”

The wizard pulled out two medals out of his dark purple robes and continued, –Andromeda, with your permission, we would like to place these medals on a memorial in the Ministry of Magic to honor all of those who gave their lives to stop He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.”

Andromeda nodded as the tears streamed down her face.

The wizard smiled and thanked her. –Now, if you all would be so kind to stand, we shall begin the services for Tonks and Remus Lupin.”

The caskets were brought in by five people. Kingsley Shacklebolt, Arthur Weasley, Alberforth Dumbledore, and Harry brought in Tonks while Hagrid carried Remus’ coffin in. Everyone was silent as they walked in. Harry could feel the tears start to stream down as they put the caskets down.

Sitting down, Harry took Teddy back from Ginny and the listened to the services. There were two speakers. Andromeda spoke of the life of Tonks and what a joy she had brought her and her husband when she was alive. She also spoke of the gentle nature that Remus gave to everyone and how honored she was to have him in her family for a short time.

Harry was surprised at the next person to get up. Hagrid, who had tears running down his face, got up and spoke of how wonderful both Tonks and Remus were. He told a story of how they had always treated him well; even though he is half-giant. He went on to say, –They knew what it was like to be treated different,but that never stopped them from treating everyone like equals; that’s not common for most folks.”

After both speakers finished, the small crowd stood up again as Kingsley and Arthur lowered the caskets into the ground next to Ted Tonks. The dirt was gently placed upon the caskets and then a large headstone appeared. It read:

Remus John Lupin

Husband, father, son, and friend

March 10, 1960--May 2, 1998


Nymphadora Tonks Lupin

Wife, mother, daughter, and friend

November 5, 1973--May 2, 1998


Greater love than this no one has, than the one who laid down his life for his friends.


Everyone gathered around the graves and gave their last farewell. As Harry looked at the headstone for one last time, he looked at Teddy, fully understanding what his godson was about to go through. Taking him from Ginny, he whispered, –Don’t be afraid, Teddy. They’ll come back in ways that you never expected.”

~*~


After the funeral for Tonks and Remus, Harry had gone back to the Weasley home to eat lunch. They all at in sullen silence and when the time came, Arthur glanced at his watch and said, –It’s time.”

One by one, the Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione traveled to the backyard. The backyard was decorated in a simple black color with white lilies at each ends of the pulpit that stood in the middle of the ceremony. Unlike Tonks and Remus’ services, there were several sections of black seats. As Harry walked to the backyard, he reached for Ginny’s hand. Although they hadn’t talked seriously about their relationship and the fact that they had kissed earlier that day, Harry felt that it was appropriate to hold her hand.

Ginny looked down, smiled and squeezed his hand.

Members of the Order and familiar faces from Hogwarts were already sitting down. The crowd was bigger than the previous funeral that they had just attended but nevertheless, the faces all held the same grief-stricken face as the Weasleys. As the Weasley family sat down, Harry and Hermione glanced at each other, both wondering if they should take a seat too.

Ginny, noticing their silent communication, said, –Don’t be stupid; both of you are sitting by us. You’re family too.”

George, Ron, Bill and Arthur didn’t join the rest of their family when they sat down. They had gone to get the casket. When they arrived, the crowd stood up and watched them walk the casket down the aisle. Each Weasley brother had tears streaming down their face. Arthur, who looked like he was doing his best to not breakdown, had his lips pursed tightly together. Everyone sat the casket down and returned to the rest of their family.

Arthur, who had remained standing, walked up to the pulpit. His ears were bright red and his hands were shaking. But he was able to keep his voice calm. –Friends, family,” he began, –we all gather today to honor my son, Fred.”

For the next several minutes, Arthur spoke of Fred’s life and his character. –I think,” he said in conclusion, –that we all can say that Fred brought each of us something that we all needed. He understood how to be serious when it was needed. He understood how to help cheer someone’s day when they needed it. But most of all, if there is anything that Fred can teach each of us, it is how to smile in the worst situations. Let us all remember Fred for the man that he stood for.”

Arthur nodded his head and sat back down next to Molly, who was crying. No one spoke for what seemed like an eternity to Harry. Ginny was silently crying, her head on Harry’s shoulder. With his arm around Ginny, Harry gave her a tight squeeze.

Finally, George got up.

–I had planned on starting out with a joke,” George began, –but, as seeing that this is a funeral, I thought that it wouldn’t be appropriate.”

He paused and continued, –But as seeing that this is Fred’s funeral, I think that would be a dishonor to not begin with a joke.”

A sheepish grin spread across his face. –Percy, if you will . . .”

Percy stood up and signaled for a few others to stand up as well. Ginny leaned over to Harry and whispered, –They’re some of the employees at the joke shop.”

–One . . . two . . . three!” said Percy.

An explosion of color was everywhere. A large dragon suddenly appeared from the color. It flew high up into the clouds and then it came drastically down, swooping close the crowd. Many shrieks came but as it got closer, another explosion took place and the dragon turned into large what appeared to be taffy.

Harry recognized the taffy at once. It was the same taffy that had made Dudley’s tongue expand to a great length.

Laughing, Harry said to Ginny, –I hope someone eats one of those.”

Within seconds, people were unwrapping the Ton-Tongue Toffees and popping them into their mouths. The immediate Weasley family, Harry, and Hermione all knew not to eat the taffy. Unfortunately, others weren’t as lucky. At least a dozen people in the crowd were suddenly screaming about their tongues that were growing faster by the second.

Mrs. Weasley gave George a look that Harry knew all too well. –GEORGE,” she screamed, –FIX IT NOW!”

George, who didn’t need telling twice, gave another signal (by now, people were laughing hysterically) to free the unfortunate victims of this prank.

After several minutes of trying to get the crowd back into control, everyone was watching George. He smiled and said, –Well, if that wasn’t good, I don’t know what is.” He winked at his Mum and then paused for a long time.

The heavy weight of the funeral was upon everyone once again. George placed both hands on top the pulpit and sighed. –I can honestly say that I would not be the man I am today without my brother Fred. For as long as I can remember, we were always the ones who pulled the trouble in the family. We caused teachers, our parents, friends and anyone else acquainted with us endless trouble and rule-breaking to bring smiles and laughter to everyone. We enjoyed running our joke shop together. We enjoyed so much together. But now that has changed.”

George paused and then took a deep breath in, –For the past week, I’ve moped around in my room. My family can tell you all about that. I haven’t cracked a single joke or made any obnoxious sound. I have only thought about what life is going to be like without my brother Fred.”

Tears were filling George’s eyes as he spoke.

–But as I have wondered and cursed the future that is to come, I’ve realized one thing: Fred wouldn’t want any of us, including myself, to live life without any laughter. He would want us to keep his memory alive in finding something to laugh about; finding someone to pull a prank on and doing something that bends the rules. So let us all, honor him on this day by remembering to always find a reason to laugh.”

George smiled weakly and then said, –So, Fred, here’s to your memory. Thank you for always knowing how to make me smile.” After the conclusion of George’s speech, everyone Apparated to Godric’s Hollow.

Once everyone arrived at Godric’s Hollow, they all stood around by the Prewett and Weasley graves. There was a freshly dug grave where Fred would be laid to rest. Ministry of Magic cars arrived with the casket. Arthur, Ron, George and Bill all filled out of the car and slowly, with the casket resting on their shoulders, brought it to the grave sight. Arthur, like the previous funeral, waved his wand and slowly lowered it into the ground as tears ran down his face.

The Weasley family all stood around the open grave and finally, Molly bent over, picked up a handful of dirt, and gently threw it into the grave. The rest of their family followed. Once everyone had their turn, the rest of the dirt was placed upon the casket and like the Lupin’s funeral, a gravestone appeared. Slowly, words appeared on it. It read:

Fred Weasley

Son, twin, brother, and friend

April 1, 1978--May 2, 1998

Laughter can cure it all; even death.


Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione all stood in a huddle as they each silently read the words on the gravestone. Ginny turned into Harry as she cried. Holding her, Harry wished more than anything in the world that Tom Riddle had never been introduced to magic.
End Notes:
Just to clear something up: You may be wondering I titled this chapter "Phoenix Tears." I chose this title because, if you recall, the Phoenix has the power to heal with their tears. I felt that it was appropriate because tears heal wounds; especially when it comes to death.

One more thing. Tonks' birth date on the headstone. I made it up because J.K. Rowling (as far as I know) hasn't given an offical date.

Thanks for reading!
~MJ
Lily's Request by MJ_Padfoot
Man in the Mask
Chapter Three: Lily's Request



–Lily?” I asked. I had been only traveling for a short distance. I glanced behind me. There was nothing there except an aurora of white. As I stepped closer to her, I reached towards her.

–Don’t, Sev.” Lily said sternly.

I knew that something was wrong. I knew that she was angry with me. I knew that I had taken it too far seventeen years ago. I knew that I had betrayed her without knowing. I knew that it was because of me that she, the only one I’ve ever loved, was murdered.

–I don’t understand.” I said.

Yet, I understood her so well. All of the sleepless nights I had spent blaming no one but myself for her death. All of those years spent trying to protect her son. And for what? Nothing. Nothing at all. He, the Boy-Who-Lived, had only been saved for the right moment. As much as I hated myself for betraying Lily, I knew that it no longer mattered anymore. I was beyond the veil and that was that.

–Let me explain,” she began, –but first, let’s sit-down.”

Looking around, I realized that we were no longer standing on the path. In fact, everything looked different. Immediately, I recognized where we were. We were at the park where I first spied on Lily and Petunia Evans. The familiar red swings, slides, and other equipment looked exactly as I remembered from my childhood.

Following in Lily’s lead, we walked to the swings.

She sat down and began to swing just high enough so her feet would drag across the ground (though, I couldn’t be sure if it was ground or just my imagination). I sat on the swing next to her and slowly rocked back and forth. It was just like times we had enjoyed together when we were younger.

–Do you remember when we would have our swinging competition?” asked Lily.

–How could I forget?” I laughed, –You always seemed to beat me by a fraction of an inch.”

Memories of flying off of the swings with Lily danced around my mind as I complimented on the past. It was nice to be able to recall memories that seemed so long ago.

Lily threw her head back and laughed. –You’re too kind.”

We both laughed for a moment and then everything went quiet. Lily was still swinging back and forth, her feet still dragging across in the dirt. After what had been several minutes, Lily finally spoke.

–Sev?”

–Yeah,”

–Why did you do it?”

I didn’t need to ask her what I had done. I knew perfectly well what she was referring to. She simply wanted to know why I went to the Dark Lord and tell him of the prophecy; why I had ran to Dumbledore; why I had protected Harry for all of these years. I knew the reason why; so did she. But sometimes words speak louder than actions.

–Lily, I . . . I . . .” I stumbled, trying to find words that would adequately describe the truthful reason on why.

She had stopped swinging and was watching me very carefully.

I sighed. I knew that I couldn’t hide it from her. But how could I admit to her something that I had been holding onto for my entire life? How could she ever forgive me? These were among the many questions that entered into my mind. Finally, I made eye contact with her.

–Lily, there is so much that I would like to say so I can answer that adequately. But how can I when the one true reason that I ran to Dumbledore and protected Harry for all these years is looking me straight in the eye? It was because of you that I vowed to protect the boy. It was because of you that I remained at Hogwarts and went undercover for Dumbledore. It was because of you that I betrayed the Dark Lord. It was because I lo--”

I paused. My breathing had become rapid. My hands were sweaty. I looked at the ground, trying to find words at what to say next to her. Without taking my gaze off of the ground, I continued, –The one and only reason that I joined sides with the Dark Lord was because I wanted to make something of myself and look at where it got me. It took me down a path that I would go back and change. It took me to a place so lonely where I found myself begging for death at times.”

I paused and then looked Lily in the eye, –It took me to a place where happiness couldn’t enter into my life because I had been the cause that took all the happiness away.”

I stopped talking for a long time. The years of guilt hindered me as I tried to find the strength to talk. In a whisper I said, –It’s because I love you that I did all of that. I never meant to hurt you or James. I never meant for you to be murdered, Lily. I never meant for any of this. I’m so sorry.”

With tears in her eyes, Lily brushed mine away. –I forgive you, Sev.”

–Thank you,” I whispered.

–But,” she continued, –there is one more thing that I must ask of you.”

–And what is that?”

–I need you to tell Harry the full story.”

My eyes widened. –How can I? I’m . . . I’m . . .Well, aren’t I dead too?”

–Not exactly,” Lily said simply, –you see, here you are at a cross road. You can either cross over and come with me, or go back as a ghost.”

I nodded, still listening intently.

–But the choice is yours, Severus. I will understand if you choose the first of the two. But Harry needs to know the full truth. He needs to know everything about our story.”

–Everything?” I asked.

–Everything,”

I closed my eyes and thought for a moment. Without opening them, I said slowly, –I’ll do it, Lily.”
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! ~MJ
Promise for the Prince by MJ_Padfoot
Author's Notes:
Well, it's been forever since I've updated this story. So, without further adieu, here's an update! xo MJ
Man in the Mask
Chapter Four: Promise for the Prince


Harry was the last to leave Godric’s Hollow that day. He had stayed behind while the others went back to the Burrow. He had planned on visiting his parent’s grave before he returned to the Burrow. As Harry slowly walked to where his parents laid to rest, he thought of what was to come for him and Ginny, Teddy and even Ron and Hermione. Would everything turn out as a semi-normal life? Would he truly be at peace for the first time in his life? Harry didn’t know. He didn’t have any of the answers that he was searching for.

Once he had reached the grave, Harry stared at it for a long time. His thoughts went from Ginny to Teddy to what the future held for him. Harry eventually sat next to the headstone, still lost in his thoughts. He didn’t realize how long he had been sitting there until the sun started to go down. Realizing that he was running out of time, he glanced over his shoulder to make sure that he was alone. Turning back to the headstone, Harry whispered, –I wish you both were here. We did it—we defeated Voldemort. I only wish that both of you were here to celebrate and mourn with all of us. Mum, Dad . . . I love you. I’m sorry that both of you died because of me.”

Holding back his tears, he continued, –I wish that you both could meet Ginny. She’s amazing, and I’m sure that you both would love her. She looks just like you, Mum. I think that we’ll marry in a few years if she’ll have me.” He paused for a moment, imagining Ginny in a white dress. The wedding would be beautiful but it would be missing several important people. Finally, Harry whispered, –I’m so sorry that all of this happened. I’d give anything to have you both here.” Harry didn’t know how long he stood there. Before he knew it, night had fallen. Harry stared at his parents' grave lost in deep thought. Gaining his senses back, he Apparated back to the Burrow.

At the Burrow, Harry found Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sitting in Ron’s room. They were discussing 'Harry’s hallucination of Snape' as Ron liked to call it. Before entering into the room, Harry paused at the door to listen.

–How would he even be able to see Snape, Ginny? It isn’t logical.” said Hermione, rather annoyed. –If Snape was a ghost, we would’ve seen him too, but we didn’t.”

–I know, Hermione. But Harry wouldn’t make something up like this. He wouldn’t lie about something like this, especially after everything we all have been through.” Ginny said. She was sitting on the floor, leaning against a chair. Hermione was playing with Ron’s hair as he lay in her lap on his bed. Harry knocked on the door before he entered the room. Everyone fell to silent as he walked in. –Harry, you’re back!” said Ginny. She jumped up and kissed him.

–We wondered when you were going to be back,” said Ron as he sat up, giving Ginny a look that Harry knew all too well. Harry grinned and sat in the chair that Ginny had been leaning against. Ginny sat on the floor and leaned against Harry.

–I wanted to stop at my parents' grave. It took a little bit longer than what I expected,” replied Harry.

–It’s fine, Harry,” said Ginny. –We knew you’d come back eventually. Anyway, we were just talking about Snape. Any theories on why you were the only one who could see him?”

–No, but I’m going to find out why. I’m planning on going back to his flat today or tomorrow. If any of you want to come . . .” Harry’s voice trailed off.

–Actually, Harry,” said Hermione, –I’m going to Hogwarts tomorrow to see what I can do to make up for last school year. I won’t make it if I don’t graduate from Hogwarts.”

–That’s not true!” Ron said, his ears turning bright red. –You’re the smartest witch of the century! They would be stupid not to give you a job at the Ministry, especially since you helped fight You-Know-Who.”

–Voldemort; His name is Voldemort, Ron,” said Harry. –You’ve got to get over it. He’s gone and there is no point in being afraid of saying his name anymore. Besides, the Ministry took the taboo off of Voldemort’s name two days ago.”

Ron muttered something that sounded like an apology, but Harry didn’t hear him. He was lost in his thoughts about the Ministry. After he, Ron, and Hermione had left Dumbledore’s tower, Kingsley Shacklebolt, now the new Minister of Magic, had asked Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville to come be employees of the Auror Department. They were to be assigned to helping clean the remaining damage of the war. Harry, Neville, and Ron had accepted. Hermione hadn’t given Kingsley an answer since she was still investigating the option of returning to Hogwarts. Kingsley said that he would be in contact with them very shortly about trainings and debriefings for rounding up the rest of the remaining Death Eaters. Harry, who hadn’t been listening, returned his attention to Hermione.

–I’m sure that Professor McGonagall wouldn’t mind if I came back. She might even let me help with Prefects.”

–I’m sure that she will. I mean, honestly, she’d be stupid if she didn’t,” said Ron, who looked at Harry in hopes that he would agree with him.

Harry, who caught this just in time, said, –He’s right, you know.”

–I guess we’ll see,” said Hermione.

–Don’t be stupid,” said Ginny. –Why wouldn’t she say yes? It’s not like you’ve ever broken a rule before.”

Hermione blushed. They all knew that wasn’t true. –Yes, but Ginny—”

Harry didn’t hear what Hermione was about to say because a loud CRACK had interrupted their conversation. They all jumped at the sudden noise and Harry, out of habit, pulled out his wand. Ginny got up and opened the door ajar. Turning back towards them she said, –No one is there. I bet it came from downstairs.”

As Ron, Harry, and Hermione all got up, another CRACK came from downstairs. Ron said, –Let’s go see what that was.”

When they all arrived downstairs, they found Mrs. Weasley covered in glass, looking out the window. Her mouth slightly opened. –Mrs. Weasley? What’s wro—” started Harry.

She looked back at them and said, –Stay here.” Grabbing her wand, she stepped over the broken glass and ran outside. Before anyone could ask her another question, they all watched her run outside, yelling, –GET AWAY FROM MY FAMILY, YOU—”

As they all watched Molly outside, Hermione shrieked, –It’s the Dark Mark!” Pulling out his wand, Harry ran outside. He was followed by the others. Looking around, Harry could only see black. Night had fallen, which made it rather hard to see anything in the distance.

CRACK.

The group that had Apparated all looked confused. Kingsley Shacklebolt and other Ministry employees had Apparated into the Weasley yard. Molly, who was starting a curse, had her wand pointed towards Kingsley. The Ministry employees started to form a barrier between the Minister and Mrs. Weasley. Kingsley, who had pushed through the barrier, said, –MOLLY! Molly, it’s okay. It’s me. It’s Kingsley.”

Molly stopped for a moment, then walked up to Kingsley with her wand pointed squarely at his chest said, –Who did Alice Longbottom first kiss?”

Remaining calm, Kingsley answered, –After she turned me down, she went for your husband, Arthur, in her fourth year at Hogwarts and kissed him. You’re still upset about that, Molly?”

Slowly, Molly lowered her wand. –I had to check, Kingsley. You understand, of course—especially with all of the Death Eaters still on the loose.”

Kingsley nodded. –Of course I do, Molly.

–And I’m not upset about it anymore.”

Kingsley raised his eyebrow but decided to not comment. Instead, he said, –What happened exactly?”

–I was in the kitchen doing the dishes when two people—”

–Death Eaters, no doubt,” said one of the employees.

Molly nodded and continued, –Apparated into the backyard. They weren’t here for very long but then one of them stuck their arm up and a green light shot out from their wand. Then the Dark Mark appeared and they were gone.”

–Hm,” said Kingsley. –It’s just like the other stories that we’ve heard.”

–Other stories?” asked Harry.

–Yes, the Daily Prophet is doing an article on it tomorrow. We just can’t seem to figure out what it means. No one has died when the mark has appeared, but that doesn’t mean that it won’t happen. We’ve been doing our best to round up the remaining Death Eaters that were seen at the battle. But so far, we’ve only found a handful,” Kingsley said solemnly.

–What can we do to help, Kingsley?” asked Harry. He could feel his heart pounding. Catching the rest of the Death Eaters and putting them away in Azkaban would mean that Harry could finally have some peace and quiet for once.

–I was going to owl you tomorrow, but since you asked,” Kingsley said with a grin, –I was wondering if you, Mr. Weasley, and Mr. Longbottom would stop in my office on Thursday to begin Auror training.”

Ron and Harry looked at each other, both smiling. –Absolutely,” said Ron.

–Excellent. Now, Miss Granger, have you made your decision?”

–No, not yet but I’ll know soon. I’m going to be speaking with Professor McGonagall tomorrow to see if I can return.”

–Well, if you run into any problems, please tell Minerva to come speak with me.”

Hermione nodded. –Thank you, Minister.”

–Well, we'd best be off. Hintze, get rid of the Dark Mark before the Daily Prophet shows up again.” A tall, lean young man stepped forward and muttered something as he pointed his wand at the Dark Mark. Within a second, it was gone.

–Goodnight, Kingsley,” said Molly.

–Night, Molly. Back to the Ministry, everyone.” And with a loud CRACK Kingsley and the employees were gone.


~*~


The next morning, Harry woke up earlier than the others. He got up, quickly dressed, brushed his teeth, and headed downstairs to grab a piece of toast. After Harry had eaten a couple of pieces of toast, he scribbled a note to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny saying that he was going to Snape’s. He didn’t want anyone to come with him just in case he had been imagining things. Leaving the note on Ron’s nightstand, Harry went outside and Apparated to Snape’s flat.

It was chilly when Harry arrived at the flat. Despite the cold and his wish for having a jacket on, he was glad that he came. After opening the door and walking in, Harry said, –Hominem revelio.” Nothing happened. Was Harry just imagining things? Had he really hallucinated and seen Snape? Harry wasn’t sure. Stay calm, he thought to himself. Just take a quick look around and if he’s not here, then I’ll go back to the Burrow.

Harry searched every room except the room where he had seen Snape. As he slowly opened the door, Harry poked his head in. No one was there. Sighing, Harry opened the door all the way and was about to walk in.

–Potter, what are you doing here?”

Harry jumped and pulled out his wand. He didn’t know what to say, so he stared at Severus Snape.

–Um, well, I . . . I came back. The others didn’t believe me.”

Snape looked irritated. –Of course they didn’t believe you, Potter. You’re the only one who is supposed to see me.”

–Really?” Harry said with relief. –So, I’m not hallucinating or anything?”

–No, I’m afraid not.”

–Brilliant.”

–Look, Potter. Let’s go sit in the study and I’ll explain why you can see me.”

Harry nodded and followed Snape into what was his study. It was the exact room that Harry had first seen Snape in the other day. Snape sat—hovered (Harry couldn’t tell)—in the black leather chair closest to the fireplace and Harry on a dingy couch that needed to be re-padded.

Snape stared into the fireplace for a long time before he spoke. –You know, I never stopped loving your mother.”

–I know that,” said Harry. If they were about to talk about Snape’s undying love for his mother, then Harry wanted to leave immediately.

–So, you understand that I never meant for your mother and father,” he said rather harshly, –to get hurt by the Dark Lord.”

–Yes, I do. I saw the memory.” Harry recalled what seemed to be a lifetime ago of seeing Snape’s memories in Dumbledore’s office.

–Very well, then. So I presume that it is safe for me to start when I died.”

–When you died?”

–Yes,” said Snape. His eyes looked sadder and lost in thought for a moment. –Yes, when I died.”

Harry leaned forward and listened to Snape very carefully. Snape told him of how he met Dumbledore and his mother when he was crossing over. He told him of how his mother requested him to tell Harry the full story of what had happened. –So you see,” continued Snape after talking for some time, –when I agreed to Lily’s conditions, I had to come back as a ghost that only you could see.”

–How is that possible?”

–It is a very deep magic like what saved you that night when the Dark Lord attacked. It isn’t a magic that is common knowledge among wizards today. Dumbledore said that there had only been one other case that he had ever known for this to happen.”

–Who was it?” asked Harry.

–His sister, Ariana, came back to help Dumbledore.”

Harry didn’t say anything. He had always wondered what Dumbledore had meant when he said that the dead truly were never gone from the ones that they loved.

–I see,” said Harry.

Snape paused for a moment before speaking again. –Harry, I must ask a favor of you. I need you to promise me that you will listen to everything that I have to say. I’m not asking for your forgiveness. Just for you to listen. Will you do that?”

–Yes, I will.”

Looking relieved, Snape leaned (or what appeared to be) against the chair. –When your mother and I were at Hogwarts, something happened. I started hanging around the wrong crowd, you could call it. From there, I lost all trust with your mother. But more than that, I lost her love.”

Snape paused and was silent for a moment. –Potter, there’s a Pensieve in the cabinet. Open it and then you’ll see what I’m trying to explain. This won’t make sense unless you see it for yourself.”

Getting up, Harry walked over to the dusty cabinet and opened it. The Pensieve was sitting on the only shelf inside. Turning to Snape, he said, –What more is there to the story? You loved my mother. She didn’t love you. What more do you have to explain to me?”

–Look at the Pensieve,” Severus said quietly.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=89205