Pure-Blooded Angst by pheonixhobbit
Summary: Chapter 13 is written and in the queue....again....Hopefully it will go through this time?

Draco Malfoy has painted a perfect bad boy reputation, he has put defenses around his weaknesses so that no one can learn of them. But his greatest weakness is one that cannot be swept away. His greatest weakness, his greatest love, Hermione Granger. PG for insults, no swearing.
Disclaimer: I do not own the HP characters. They belong and always will, to the honorable J.K. Rowling.

Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 22405 Read: 43555 Published: 01/05/05 Updated: 02/12/06

1. Intro: Drowning in Darkness by pheonixhobbit

2. Sticks and Stones by pheonixhobbit

3. A Beautiful Monster; Complaints of Another Kind by pheonixhobbit

4. Butterbeer for Two by pheonixhobbit

5. The Rose and The Staircase by pheonixhobbit

6. Rapeller Toujours by pheonixhobbit

7. People Can Change by pheonixhobbit

8. Told You So by pheonixhobbit

9. Unseen Enemies by pheonixhobbit

10. The Anxieties of Draco Malfoy by pheonixhobbit

11. Compromise by pheonixhobbit

12. Of Nightmares and Bumblebees by pheonixhobbit

Intro: Drowning in Darkness by pheonixhobbit
Draco Malfoy hated her. He hated her when she walked past him, hated it when she perfected her grades in Potions; merciless in her attempt to be proven right. He loathed her when she talked giddily to Potter and Weasley, like they were her only friends. Draco hated her. But what he hated most of all was the fact that he would never be able to take her in his arms and be all she ever needed, all she ever had wanted.

Draco Malfoy was deeply in love with Hermione Granger. Tied to the ground by his father’s cruel beliefs that he was forced to share, his only lifeline was Hermione; the bushy haired Muggle with a bright smile. The fact that the girl of his dreams was a total contradiction to his pure-blood-only motto made him drive harder to get her out of his heart. Every chance he had, Draco threw insults that could make a lion cry, even if his heart shattered every time he did. But his cruel remarks barely scratched her unyielding Muggle pride; she walked with her head held high, arms crossed over an uncountable number of books. Then, in second year, Draco had found a weakness in his beloved Juliet.

“Mudblood.” He said, looking directly into her eyes; those brown eyes hardened and her smart expression faded into sorrow. He wanted to hug her, comfort her, protect her. Draco didn’t realize how sorry he was until Weasley’s wand backfired during a curse that was aimed for him. Hermione had rushed to the Weasel’s side, throwing Draco a look of loathing. He heard his teammates laughing behind him, laughing at his girl, laughing at his sorrow. He wanted to kill them, just turn around and kill them. But he was laughing too… Draco watched her walk away, and his heart was helplessly broken.

Years passed, and Draco watched his beloved blossom into a lovely and intelligent woman. It’s not like he didn’t notice that every move she made, she did with angelic grace, closely watched by Weasley’s eyes. Competition? No…it’s not like he could win her heart anyway, too many foul words had been said, a deep impression that could not be undone. Draco felt the spot where Hermione had slapped him in third year, she was angry. And who had done this?

'I did.' Draco quizzed himself as he walked into the Slytherin dungeon alone after Defense Against the Dark Arts. He knew he did not deserve her… but how he wished. And Potter, that kind boy, that wonderful student, that hero, that person that Draco had long wanted to be, but couldn’t. He was placed in Slytherin, the ambitious house, with a knack for the Dark Arts. Draco was interested, but not for a dark purpose. He wanted to learn it only to know how to counteract it and know what to expect; it was quite a useful thing. Defense Against the Dark Arts was for minors.

The Malfoys were born with a natural knack for the Dark Arts. With Lucius Malfoy already in prison, Draco had the chance to prove himself worthy of the title of decent. Of course, that’s not what the Sorting Hat saw. It saw the person that Draco had been influenced by, the person that Draco once admired: his father. The hat saw his father’s greed, his father’s hatred, his father’s malice, and his father’s bursting pride in a word the Malfoys loved to use: Pureblood. Draco was sickened by it, by every time he had to say it towards anyone. What the hat didn’t see was Draco’s enslaved cry for help, his hunger for the knowledge of the good.

'How long will this misunderstanding have to be endured? How long will this mask be worn?' Draco thought as he walked to his dormitory. He racked and twisted his brain for an answer. He could not find one. That was the only thing that he was terrified of, the answer to the forbidden question, couldn’t be found, it couldn’t be done. And for the first time in his teenage life, Draco Malfoy, the son of a Death Eater, sat down on his bed, and wept.

When all of his tears had fallen, he was angry beyond imagination, he picked up a book and threw it across the room. The book hit a lantern, which extinguished. Darkness flooded the room, and Draco was quickly drowning in it.
Sticks and Stones by pheonixhobbit
He watched her go past again, and again. A flicker of brown hair whisked past as soon as he was close enough to run his fingers through it.

Potions class, duller than ever, though sharpened occasionally with funny remarks from Weasley, nearly making Draco laugh. He dare not of course, the years of fighting had made any friendship between them a hilarious idea. Hermione went past again to get more ingredients for the antidote they were making. It was called the Patronificus Potion; a dementor defense used by those of Squibbish background, or those who are too miserable to think happy thoughts. Instant Patronus. Life was getting way too easy. Pretty soon, they would have a potion for everything, such as Instant Quill, or even more random, Instant Candy. Draco sniggered quietly. Just spill some on the floor and boom! There you go! Instant Hermione? Draco nearly kicked himself. You can’t replace Hermione with a potion! He scolded himself.

“Draco.” Crabbe’s voice split his thoughts in two.

“What.” Draco said monotonously.

“Were you even listening?” Crabbe asked, his voice sounding hurt.
Draco sighed. This happened everyday, every time.

“No Crabbe, no. I wasn’t listening when you said you wanted to pound Weasley’s family into a pulp.” Draco said, trying his hardest to sound interested.

This was probably Crabbe’s favorite phrase, he muttered it every second. Draco turned to Crabbe and forced a smile. Crabbe smiled contently in return and went back to muttering to Goyle, who was chewing on his quill. Draco turned just in time to catch Ron’s eye.

“You mother’s fat, Weasley.” Draco yelled across the room.

“Mr. Malfoy, lower your voice.” Snape said calmly. Draco ignored his words.

Draco smiled in satisfaction as Ron’s face turned a beet red as he tried to ignore the comment. Potter muttered words of wisdom to Ron to calm him down.

“How much money do you have left in your bank account, eh? Maybe half a Knut?” Draco yelled again, increasing his defenses to block out his guilt.

“Mr. Malfoy, once again, I ask you to please lower your voice and work on your potion.” Snape said again, his voice even, showing no signs of anger or annoyance.

“Your father’s in prison, Malfoy. Go fall in a hole.” Ron muttered, his voice loud enough for Draco to hear, but quiet enough so that Snape couldn’t.

Ron’s eyes were glittering in anger as he chopped his ingredients. Draco was not insulted; he had no love for his father, as far he was concerned, but he charged ahead with another remark.

“Why? It’s so dark and dirty, infested with vermin. Much like your own home, much like your family.” Draco said vehemently, leaning forward to challenge Ron even more.

Ron dropped his knife and started forward.

“I’m gonna rip-" Ron was stopped by Hermione, who began to whisper advice to him.

Ron’s face faded back to its normal complexion. He grinned at Draco and clapped a hand on Hermione’s back as she smiled. Professor Snape came upon the scene,

“Mr. Weasley, ten points from Gryffindor for disturbing my class and threatening another student. Miss Granger and Mr. Potter, five points each from Gryffindor for encouraging this event.” He said; his voice filled to the brim with merciless malice.

Draco smiled in satisfaction as Ron, Hermione and Harry threw him an evil look, in response; Draco raised an eyebrow and smiled in victory. Inside, however, Draco felt the oncoming storm of jealousy. Pretending to work, Draco hung his head in defeat; tired from this war of insults. The rest of the class was spent quietly stirring and pouring, cutting and measuring the ingredients needed for the Patronificus Potion.

“Put away your cauldrons, after you fill a vial of your potion and put it on my desk,” Snape said a half an hour later, “I suggest, Mr. Longbottom, that you put an anti hazard charm on your …creation before you hand it in.” Snape said before he went into his office to start the evening’s work.

Draco laughed inwardly. Longbottom, always making his day. Out of the corner of his eye, Draco saw Hermione mutter the anti hazard charm onto Neville’s vial. Neville gave her a smile of gratitude, put his vial on Snape’s desk and left the room. Soon, only Crabbe, Goyle, Draco, Hermione, Harry, and Ron remained.

“Shouldn’t we…?” Crabbe said to Draco, his fat thumb pointing at the other three.

“No, Crabbe, leave them alone.” Draco said, a sharp tone in his voice. Crabbe and Goyle shrugged. Suddenly, a great thump resounded as five of Hermione’s heavy textbooks fell out of the bag and onto the floor.

“No, don’t. I can pick them up, you guys go on and save me a seat at dinner.” Hermione said kindly as Harry and Ron bent to pick them up.
“Are you sure? We don’t want to leave you here with that lot.” Harry said pointedly at Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle.

“No, I’m alright. I can fend for myself.” Hermione said reassuringly.
Harry and Ron shrugged, and left. Draco caught Ron’s eyes looking at Hermione in concern, and then Ron turned to him.

“Malfoy, if you hurt her, I swear I’ll…” Ron began, but Harry pulled Ron out of the classroom, knowing that Hermione could hex Draco without looking.

“Goyle, Crabbe, go and save me a seat at dinner.” Malfoy demanded as he began to put his ingredients back in the small jars that contained them. Crabbe and Goyle left, their heavy footsteps resounding in the hall. Draco felt his heart skip a beat, he was finally alone with his love.

“Oh!” Hermione cried as her bottle of ink smashed on the floor. As Hermione struggled to get her wand out of her robes, Draco pointed his at the mess and said

“Reparo.” Draco stuffed his wand back in his robes.

“I could’ve done it myself.” Hermione said, looking flustered and somewhat embarrassed. Draco smiled; she was almost blushing, his heart skipped another beat.

“Really? From the way your wand was stuck, you could’ve caused more problems than trying to fix a broken bottle.” Draco said smiling truthfully.

“You know? You’ve got a lot of nerve talking to me after you insulted Ron like that and let Snape walk all over us. But I guess, that’s like a routine for you, isn’t it? Stepping on the little guys?” Hermione said fiercely.

“I wasn’t talking to you.” Draco said.

“Ron is my friend, my best friend, along with Harry. If you insult them, you insult me.” Hermione said angrily, ceasing putting her books away to talk to Draco.

“So, I can’t be nice without someone criticizing for what I did before?” Draco asked.

Hermione’s hard glare softened a bit and she put the last book back in her bag.

“Thanks for being noble,” Hermione said, mockery and sarcasm drenching her words, “for once.” Draco winced, but no matter, he still tried to be a gentleman.

“Thanks for accepting.” Draco said gratefully and truthfully.

So truthfully, that Hermione actually looked up, shock outlining her features. A moment later, Hermione shook her head, as if to get something out of her face. She began to fumble with her bag’s zipper. Draco slung his bag over one shoulder and stopped to look at Hermione. He smiled. The zipper of her bag was stuck. Draco walked over, put his bag down to take Hermione’s hands off her bag. Hermione stepped back, flustered.

“Take it easy. It’s not going to run away.” Draco whispered and pulled the zipper free, and it closed smoothly. Hermione, her face flushed, looked up at Draco.

“If this is one of your kniving tricks, Draco Malfoy, I won’t have it.” Hermione said fiercely.

“Oh yes, I forgot, I’m the soulless, heartless, son of a Death Eater. I go around tricking people with book bag zippers.” Draco said sarcastically, his eyes reflected sorrow.

Hermione looked in his eyes for a moment.

“I didn’t mean to…” Hermione began.

“Hurt my feelings?” Draco finished suggestively.

“Yes.” Hermione replied.

“I guess someone in my position needs it occasionally.” Draco said suggestively.

“I guess so.” Hermione replied, smiling in agreement, suddenly her smile faded. “Why are you talking to me?” She questioned suspiciously.

“You’re the only one here.” Draco replied, almost too automatically.

“I’m a Gryffindor.” Hermione stated.

“And I’m a Slytherin, nice to meet you.” Draco said comically.

“Malfoy. You’ve been insulting me ever since day one. Why are you talking to me? Why did you help me?” Hermione asked, anger sprinkled over her words, making Draco cringe.

“Maybe I’m sorry.” Draco replied, sadly.

Hermione’s eyes grew wide for a moment, but then she shook her head and slung her bag over her shoulder, pushing brown ringlets out of the way.

“You’re not sorry. You can’t call a person a Mudblood and say a stupid, overestimated apology. You can’t say a four letter word and be done with it.” Hermione said, she looked as if she wanted to leave, but she stayed rooted to the spot.

“Five.” Draco muttered.

“What?” Hermione asked in annoyance.

“Five, sorry is a five letter word. Five.” Draco said, solemnly, holding up his hand to show her. Hermione looked at him with a mixture of embarrassment, and anger.

“I was just trying to help you.” Draco said quietly, as apologetically as he could.

“Well don’t!” Hermione said, and turned her heel and made to storm out of the room.

“How do you know I’m not sorry for what I’ve done?” Draco called after her, his eyes glittering with the sorrow he bore. Hermione stopped and turned around.

“Because,” Hermione took a deep breath, as if to ready herself for what she was about to say. Then, she cocked her head, “Because, you’re Draco Malfoy.” Mockery covered her words and with that, Hermione disappeared around the corner. The words were left ringing in the air, long after she had gone.

“That’s just the problem.” Draco thought.
A Beautiful Monster; Complaints of Another Kind by pheonixhobbit
It was maybe a half an hour after Hermione left that Draco got his thoughts back in order. Sadly, and slowly, Draco had begun to realize that even a small friendship with Hermione was nigh on impossible. Dare he do something unexpected? Something rash? Even if he decided on something so randomly spectacular, surely, Hermione would know, wouldn’t she? Would it work? Distantly, Draco heard a low rumbling from his stomach. He realized that he had been ignoring his appetite for thirty minutes. Adjusting his book bag, Draco left the classroom. Draco unfortunately had only twenty minutes until the end of dinner, so he quickened his pace, hoping that eating would make him feel better. At long last, Draco reached the entrance to the Great Hall.

The teachers stopped eating and chatting to stare as the doors to the Great Hall burst open, revealing a quite disgruntled and tired Slytherin. The student’s talking slowed to a halt as Draco entered. A moment later, when he had sat down at the Slytherin table the talking erupted once more. Looking forward to a hasty dinner, Draco reached for a roll of bread. Unfortunately, just as he was about to take it, a cool, icy voice interrupted.

“Mr. Malfoy, may I inquire as to why you were so late?” it said. Draco recognized this voice all too well, and forcing an evil smile to challenge her own icy voice, he said.

“I was delayed, Pansy, quite an unfortunate event.” Hoping this was enough of an encounter for her, he turned back to start his dinner. Again, he was interrupted when Pansy’s thin arm slipped through his. Draco fought to keep his face blank of annoyance.

“My poor Draco. Who has kept you from me?” Pansy simpered, “No matter, I’ve you next to me now.” Draco had come to dinner, hoping to find peace and fill a rather empty stomach. Sympathy from a woman he had absolutely no care for was not his idea of peace. Draco got up, trying to act as natural as possible.

“I’m tired, Pansy. I’m going to lie down.” Draco said and grabbed a bread roll before he made his way out.

“I’ll be waiting for you.” Pansy called, blowing him an unseen, but heard, kiss. Draco cringed as the Great Hall doors closed behind him with a thud.

Pansy Parkinson was an embarrassment to the female race. You’ve heard of obscenity, near-nudity, but nothing is worse when one is next to such a girl like Pansy. She had a serious infatuation with Draco and would do anything to be the focus of his attention. She was evil, black blood pumped through her veins, a monster hidden behind a beautiful façade. She had few friends, and all of them were next in line to be as evil. Pansy would hex a student if she didn’t like the way they looked at her, or the way they looked. She would hex a girl if she had too many gorgeous features.

She threatened and gossiped, backbit and cursed, until there was no one in the school left to do anything more to. Pansy Parkinson was so awful, that even Draco’s father, Lucius Malfoy, advised Draco to always be on her good side. Draco was not afraid of her because Pansy would never hurt him. Good looks go as far as the eye can see, and that is not very far. Her eyes, like septic oceans glittered their fermented surfaces every time Draco entered the room, yet he had nothing positive to say about her. She was such a hopeless case, Draco never thought twice about trying to help her see the goodness in life. If anything, Draco could keep her tame, keep her as tranquil as possible, but by herself she was a monster. He would give her a smile, approach her with a light conversation, sometimes even accepting small outings with her. He knew what made her tick, and he knew what made her stop. Keeping her under control was like heaven for Pansy. Draco would give her kisses and hugs when she asked. Luckily, Pansy didn’t know it was to keep her off of everybody else’s backs. Draco wanted to retch every time he kissed her or hugged her. If she knew what Draco’s true feelings were...well, let’s not go there. Draco came at last to the Slytherin portrait and muttered “Snakes Tails.”


The portrait creaked noisily open and Draco went inside. Avoiding anyone who was in the common room, Draco went silently into the dormitory that felt like the last safe place in the castle. Draco threw off his cloak and school attire, put on some pajamas and crawled into bed. It was still very early for it, but Draco didn’t care. He was so exhausted from everything that his eyes fell shut and he drifted off into dreams that held a few hours of desperately needed peace. Dreams that let him break the rules of boundary and be with a Hermione that wanted to be with him in return. A Hermione that didn’t exist in the real world; the Hermione in the real world thought him vile, a Hermione that would never see the real Draco.



Hermione and Draco encounter in the next chapter!
Butterbeer for Two by pheonixhobbit
Draco slept fitfully that night, having just found out from Goyle that a Hogsmeade trip was in order the next day (Saturday. Draco yelled at Goyle before falling back to what was now a light and restless sleep. Draco knew he was going to see Hermione, and he wanted so badly to do something for her. But what?

The occupants of the Slytherin dormitory awoke around eight that morning to get ready for Hogsmeade. It was the middle of the frigid month of November and holiday shopping had to be done, Christmas and other, before the last minute. Of all the surly, bad tempered Slytherins, Draco was not to be found in the dormitory or the common room.

Having woken up in the early morning hour of five-thirty, Draco, fed up with trying to sleep but never sleeping, jumped out of bed. He threw off his pajamas and abandoning his school attire, he put on a dark green sweater, and black pants. Draco also took a rather heavy bag of Knuts, Sickles, and Galleons and put it in his pocket, knowing that the next time he would be in the dormitory would be after the Hogsmeade trip. He put on his Slytherin cloak for identification purposes, and snuck out of the dormitory.

For at least two hours Draco walked the castle, walked its halls as they slowly began to lighten with the sun’s first rays. He was deep in thought, contemplating on what he had to do for Hermione. Draco didn’t believe that Hermione would accept chocolate and candy roses from him. So he had to think of something else, something simple, but something that would give the slightest inkling of a thought that Draco really did care. With this thought, he brainstormed until his brain hurt and he was annoyed enough to scream. Draco checked his watch: it was seven thirty four. He had never told anyone how much he enjoyed walking in the halls. Perhaps he only realized how much he enjoyed when he was alone. The stone and marble hallways were like bridges of solitude. Draco was most comfortable by himself. He couldn’t harm anyone, couldn’t hurt his or her feelings, and didn’t have to worry about everybody hating him and fearing him. He could wonder and think in peace without anyone criticizing him for it.

It was a horrible thing for Draco, being a lonely island that everybody was terrified of, just because a black cloud hovers over it. Never knowing that if that cloud passed on, they would see things in Draco Malfoy that they never thought him to possess. Draco had generosity, sensitivity, and kindness that only let out when he had enough courage to let them out. His reputation had forced him to shield any spark of humanity that erupted when he was with people that knew his reputation all too well, but had no idea who Draco really was. In other words, Draco was a complete and total stranger behind an image obvious of malice, an image the line of Malfoys passed on through sheer confidence that every Malfoy would be as evil, as prejudiced, as the ones before them. They always kept their word. Then, Draco came along.

‘Ah yes. Young Draco will be the most successful of them all. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turned out to be the best of us, the greatest Death Eater that has ever been born.’ Draco’s grandfather had said. Draco used to repeat this over and over in his head as a child, thinking it was the greatest compliment he had ever received. Now, he had learned of the madness of Voldemort, the brave stupidity of his father, and the total blindness that the Malfoy family possessed. Draco now thought the once-wonderful compliment a massive insult, a horrible combination of words that proved the oxy moronic ways of the Malfoys. Greatest Death Eater? There was no such combination! The degrees went from bad to worse to hellish, but never, ever, being mixed with words that were used to describe positive things, or for that matter, quantity.

Draco checked his watch: it was eight o'clock. He decided then that he was quite hungry, having eaten nothing at dinnertime. Draco headed off for the Great Hall, the thought of food in his mind.

He pushed open the doors and found that it was quite empty. The Gryffindors, Slytherins, Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws all came at their own time on the weekends, and Draco just happened to be the only person there. He had never seen the Great Hall so empty, the tables void of food, the teacher’s table and chairs bearing no weight. Draco, almost crestfallen at the sight of no food on the tables, sat down at the Slytherin section of the Great Hall. Suddenly, plates of eggs, toast, pancakes, waffles, and beef/pork sausages appeared before him.

A second later, syrup, butter, salt, pepper, jam, and peanut butter appeared before his eyes. Not a second after that jugs of orange juice, pumpkin juice, milk, water, and fruit punch appeared as well, along with an empty plate, spoons, forks and knives, an empty flask, and a napkin. Draco looked around, impressed, but something was missing…

“You’ve forgotten the porridge and cereal.” Draco said, leaning over to whisper uncertainly to the table. Suddenly, a bowl of oats and raisins in milk and a bowl of cereal appeared. Draco, again impressed, whispered thank you to the table. He then pulled the waffles close to him, took three or four, drowned them in syrup and butter, and poured himself a glass of milk. He grabbed the nearest fork and began to eat vigorously, chewing each bit as if it was his last, savoring the taste it left in his mouth, and closing his eyes in enjoyment.

Draco was on his round of pancakes when the doors burst open to reveal at least one hundred or so students, all from different houses. They ignored Draco and sat at their own tables, attacking the food when it appeared. Soon, the whole school was in the hall and everyone was eating excitedly and talking animatedly to their friends. The Slytherin table was the least excited. Draco took no notice as he leaned back, burped, and rubbed his now content stomach.

“My dear, did you sleep alright? I was afraid you were sick, and I wanted so badly to see you…but I was so tired myself.” A voice said and Draco jumped at least a foot in the air when he heard it and knew who it was. It scared the living daylights out of him. Draco turned to find Pansy’s head on his shoulder, her hand stroking his arm. Draco had the sudden urge throw her off but held his calm.

“Yes, Pansy, I know. Listen, I have important business to adhere to today, and I would much like it if you did a favor for me.” Draco replied, picking his words carefully.

“A favor?” Pansy repeated, her eyes lighting up and a smile erupted on her face.

“Yes. Take Crabbe and Goyle to Hogsmeade and tell them not to come even a foot near me, because I have to shop for gifts.” Draco said, “They can’t come near me because I’m shopping for them. And if they even step towards me and disobey you, tell them they aren’t getting anything.”

“Of course, Draco, my love. I will keep them away.” Pansy said and kissed his lips lightly. Terrible anger boiled up inside Draco and those waffles that tasted so good, were screaming bloody murder in his stomach. Forcing the anger away, he forced a smile.

“Pansy. The same rule goes for you. If I see you near me, you will not receive your holiday gift. Do you hear? If I see any of you in the same shop, you will not receive your gifts.” Draco said, trying to drill it in her head. Pansy nodded her head and went to go get Crabbe and Goyle.

“Good morning, students!” McGonagall’s voice filled the Great Hall.
There was a scattered reply.

“You will now go outside the entrance to Hogwarts and wait for my assent to leave. No, wait a minute… all Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh years can leave because I have their forms. Third years, will wait. Thank you and enjoy your time.” McGonagall said formally and stepped down from the pedestal.

Draco lined up with his fellow Sixth years as they filed out of the Great Hall.

While walking down the halls to the entrance doors, Draco was aware of someone looking at him. He turned to his right and found Harry, Ron, and Hermione not far away.

Ron and Harry took no notice of him because they were talking to each other. Hermione, on the other hand, caught Draco’s eye and then quickly looked down, determined to keep a straight face, fighting the rosy color that now blossomed on her cheeks. Draco didn’t want to look away, so he didn’t. Hermione looked up again and Draco smiled in hello.
Hermione turned sharply away, ignoring this new action. They walked through the doors and everybody climbed in the carriages that awaited them, now they were pulled by white horses. Draco supposed Hagrid had been taking off the thestrals on the transportation menu for an unknown purpose and climbed in to an empty carriage and locked its doors.

The horses galloped swiftly to the town of Hogsmeade, which was bubbling with excitement amidst the cold. The students jumped excitedly out of their carriages and split up to buy gifts. Students swarmed every shop, picking and paying for their purchases. Draco saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione split up as well. Draco went his own way; he would talk to Hermione later.

He went into a shop that sold scarves and hats. Draco bought two black and green scarves for Crabbe and Goyle, and a silver and green one for Pansy, which was her only gift. He hoped she would choke her self on it but pushed away the negative thought. He went on to Honeydukes and spent some time their buying sweets for his own pleasure. He found a peculiar sort of chocolate that changed colors when it was touched. He bought two boxes of them for Crabbe and Goyle, knowing that it would keep their slow minds amused for a while. He bought three boxes of chocolate frogs that he could give to people in his house. Draco bought Bertie Bott’s beans for himself along with an enormous amount of chocolate. This would be his stash for as long as possible. Afterwards, Draco spent some time walking around Hogsmeade, enjoying the cold weather and the bubbling excitement.

Later, he walked into The Three Broomsticks for a mug of hot butterbeer. His heart leapt and stopped at the same time when he saw who was sitting alone on a barstool with her purchases beneath her. Draco looked around for any sign of Harry and Ron, or any other Slytherins. When there wasn’t he took a deep breath and walked towards Hermione. He sat down casually next to her, trying to keep his heart from jumping out of his mouth, his hands from touching her. The dim light made it sort of easy for him to talk to Hermione; it was peaceful in there.


“Hello.” Draco muttered.

Hermione jumped when she saw the person next to her.

“What are you doing here?” Hermione asked sharply, her cheeks yet again turning red.

“I…I wanted some butterbeer.” Draco said uncertainly.

“Go away, Malfoy.” Hermione stated.

“I can’t.” Draco replied, his heart brimming with love and hurt. He couldn’t help but notice that Hermione’s eyes were sort of red. She turned to face him.

“We settled this already, Malfoy. I don’t need your friendship.” Hermione said again.

“May”“ Draco began but was interrupted by Madame Rosmerta.

“Can I get you anything dearest?” she asked Hermione. Hermione forced a smile and shook her head no.

“And you, sir?” she asked Draco. Draco looked at Hermione for a moment before turning to Madame Rosemerta.

“Butterbeer for two, please.” Draco said kindly. Madame Rosmerta nodded and went to retrieve it. Hermione looked sharply at Draco.

“I don’t want any.” She snapped

“Well, I’ve already bought it,” Draco said pointedly as Madame Rosmerta came back with two hot butterbeers. Draco gave her three sickles and she left, “The least you can do is drink it with me.” Draco said to Hermione. Hermione looked at Draco for a moment before pulling the mug towards her.

“Hermione,” Draco said, and she shivered and took a sip of her drink. Then she turned towards him and looked up to show that she was listening.

“Hermione, I think you do need my friendship.” Draco said slowly, trying to keep his hands from holding Hermione’s.

She smiled cynically.

“I don’t need it, and I’ll tell you why. Since day one, you’ve proved yourself to be the biggest git on the face of this earth. You’ve cursed me, insulted me, confronted me, and been prejudiced against me. What makes you think I, of all people, need the friendship of someone who has tried to make my life a living hell?”

“Because, I don’t think you believe that I’m like that. I know I’ve been horrible; I hate myself for that. Hermione, my father’s in jail. The other day I didn’t say anything to Ron about that subject because I don’t care. I despise my father with a hatred you can’t imagine.” Draco said, and looked in Hermione’s eyes. Her eyes were now attentive and understanding.

“I’ve beaten myself up on many occasions for what I’ve done to you, because I knew that you really didn’t believe my reputation.” Draco whispered.

“You still make fun of Ron and Harry.” Hermione stated, as though it was her only defense now.

“If you want me to stop, I will.” Draco whispered.

Hermione looked away, beaten by Draco’s surprising truthfulness. Draco put his hand on her cheek, and turned her head towards him, and she didn’t resist.

“I will.” Draco said again, looking in her eyes again, and smiling. “If it matters so much to you, I will stop. But only for you.” Draco said.

“You’re being truthful.” Hermione said, shocked.

Draco laughed, a seldom thing.

“Yes. Yes, I am.” Draco replied. Hermione allowed a faint smile to cross her features. Draco checked his watch, if he left now; he could get a gift for Hermione and then head back to the castle for lunch. Draco began to pick up his bags.

“Do you really like your friends?” Hermione asked when he picked up his bags.

“Crabbe and Goyle are Ok. Pansy is bloody pain” Draco then looked Hermione and said seriously. “You stay away from her. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Hermione blushed slightly.

“I have to go somewhere now. I guess…I guess I’ll see you later then?”

Draco said awkwardly and made to leave.

“Yes…see you later, Draco.” Hermione said quietly, and surprised that saying his name wasn’t so hard after all, and when he said her first name, it was a new feeling. He said it so…wonderfully.

“Draco.” Hermione called after him. Draco turned.

“Shall I tell Harry and Ron?” Hermione asked.

“If you want, but it would cause more trouble than good. They’d think I would hurt you.” Draco replied. Hermione shifted uncomfortably.

“Would you? Could this be another trick, and I don’t know it?” Hermione asked quietly.

Draco walked back towards Hermione and leaned down in front of her, gathered all of his courage and kissed her cheek lovingly.

“I wouldn’t be able to do that if I hated you.” Draco said, and then gathering his bags, left The Three Broomsticks, leaving Hermione Granger in awe.
The Rose and The Staircase by pheonixhobbit
Draco spent at least an hour or two in each shop searching, touching, and arguing. He was in a rather fancy stationary store when his eyes fell on a quill. Well, one might be so ignorant as to call it just a quill. It was a solid gold quill with a diamond tip. Draco went over to it, and read the information card. It read:

“The quill of secrets is a highly advanced quill, made by a specially trained team of wizards. Just write on any surface and the words will appear in your lovers mind in the form of your voice. One quill is 3000 Galleons and two are 5000 Galleons.”

Draco put the quill back in its place.

First of all, Draco would have loved to buy it if he had the money around for nothing, but seeing as he didn’t, he did not want to risk his life taking 3000 to 6000 galleons out of his account, when his mother checked everyday for unwise spending. Second of all, Hermione and himself weren’t lovers yet and he did not want to rush into things.

Draco was walking around Hogsmeade when he saw a shop called Aphrodite’s Charms. Draco was intrigued so he went in. There were so many elaborate and wonderful things inside; they even had a catalog you could take back and order from home. Draco’s eyes fell on a rose that was levitating on a pedestal. Curious, Draco approached it. The rose had a real emerald stem and real silver lined the petals. The rose was made of red ruby and finely detailed with solid gold that trimmed the tops of the petals. He picked it up gently and felt the real weight of the rose, it was staggering. But not staggering as in heavy, staggering as in light! Draco had expected it to be at least ten to fifteen pounds because of the way it was made. Draco handled the rose carefully and took it to the store personnel behind the counter.

“Excuse me, how much is this rose?” Draco asked politely.

“That’s five hundred Galleons.” The witch said, glancing up at the rose.

Draco thought for a moment…yes it was worth it. Draco waved his wand at his pouch and three small numbers appeared. It read: 58 Galleons, 34 Sickles, 22 Knuts.

Realizing he didn’t have enough he brought the pouch to his lips and muttered:

“Five-hundred Galleons from Draco Malfoy’s Gringott’s back account.”

After a second or two, a goblin’s voice came from the pouch.

“Mr. Malfoy, please say the password in your own tongue so that we may know it is you. If it isn’t you, we will know immediately whether you have magicked your voice into Draco Malfoy’s or not.” Draco rolled his eyes; don’t they ever get tired of doing this every time he withdrew money?

“Pure-blood.” Draco muttered.

“Where would you like your withdrawal placed?” the goblin voice said, sounding rather disappointed.

“Aphrodite’s Charms, second register.” Draco muttered.

“Thank you for withdrawing.” The goblin said and the pouch glowed blue for a moment and then went back to its grisly gray. The register clicked full and the witch waved her wand over the register and it read. “Five hundred Galleons added.”

The witch took the rose from Draco and put it on the counter. The rose then began to wrap itself in gold paper and it flew itself in to a decorated box. Draco took the box and left the store and went back to his carriage and pulled it shut. Many students had already left, some, many hours ago.

The sun was lowering minute by minute, and Draco then realized he had missed lunch. Searching his robes pockets he found the roll he had took from dinner the previous night. It wasn’t stale, but it wasn’t as soft as it was before. Shrugging away doubt, he ate the roll as the carriage sped away.

When they arrived at Hogwarts the sun had laid itself on the brim of the lake and the night sky was slowly consuming the baby blue. The students filed in and ran with their purchases to their houses to take a good look at them. Draco went to his own house and was glad that Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle had not seen him.

Sitting on his bed he opened the box, there gleaming in the undeserving Slytherin light, was the rose. The luster of the rose was obvious as it shed its genuine beauty onto Draco’s face. The rose expressed most if not all, what Draco felt for Hermione. Tonight, he would give it to her; tonight would be his chance to show her how much he loved her. Draco decided to write a note to her. He took a quill and bottle of emerald ink and began to write a note. Writing was never a problem for him; he would just let words flow out of his mind and onto the paper. It didn’t matter what people thought of it, because in the end, it would be the truth. So, when he wrote the last letter, he held it up to read.


Hermione,
I will not say my name, as you might already know who it is. At eight thirty (middle of dinner) please meet me on the staircase leading to the Forbidden Corridor. I apologize for the abrupt timing for this, but it is the only way I can be alone with you. I don’t think anyone will bother us at that time.

See you then.



Nodding, Draco folded it up and wrote: “Hermione Granger.” Draco put the slim box inside his robe pocket and headed for the Owlery. Draco pushed open the door and began to look for an owl that wouldn’t be suspicious. He chose a gray and white owl and tied the letter to its leg. Draco leaned out the window and watched the owl fly to Gryffindor Tower.

In Gryffindor Tower, Hermione Granger was reading a book that she bought called “Legends of the Mountains, and the Waters of the Lake Lochness.” Even though highly absorbed, she kept thinking of Draco, and what happened in The Three Broomsticks.

“Hermione, can you hand me that bag over there?” Ron said, not looking up from his game of Wizard Chess. Ron versus Harry, and Harry was losing.

“Over where?” Hermione said monotonously.

“By your feet.” Ron replied. Not looking, Hermione reached down, found the bag and threw it at Ron. Ron caught it and ripped it open. He took out a box of chocolate frogs and shoved one in his mouth. Harry did the same.

A tapping at the window interrupted the unusually calm events. Hermione looked up and saw an owl. Harry got up and opened the window for it; the owl flew past Harry and towards Hermione. Hermione was confused as it landed on the headrest of the chaise langue she was sitting on. Hermione patted the owl’s head and took the letter off its leg. The owl hooted and soared out of the window. Harry and Ron stared at Hermione, and then at the letter. As Hermione was reading it, her eyes became wide. Ron made an abrupt lunge for the letter but she pushed him away. Ron landed on the floor, surprised at her strength. Hermione then got up, forcing down any excitement and confusion, and began to walk towards the staircase leading up to the Lady’s Dormitory.

“Hermione…?” Harry called uncertainly.

“Uhm... its just Professor McGonogall… umm… she’s congratulating me on my perfect score…on the test we took.” She replied.

“Then why are you leaving?” Ron asked suspiciously.

“Because I want to get ready for dinner. These clothes are horrible. Why in the world did you not say anything?” Hermione snapped.

“Because you never cared how you looked before!” Ron retorted.

“Well, now I do.” Hermione said and walked up the stairs and looked for something better to wear.

The dinner was nerve racking for Draco, he couldn’t eat, and so he settled on gulping pumpkin juice down his throat until he was full. Draco avoided Pansy’s eye, and was glad that two of the fattest kids in Slytherin House were sitting on either side of him.

Draco checked his watch: it was eight twenty; he had ten minutes to get there and wait.

Draco went as swiftly as he could to the staircase, and he sat on its steps. Draco hoped that this was an okay spot. Ten minutes later, Draco heard footsteps and stood up. He squinted his eyes as the person came into view. Hermione stopped at the foot of the steps. She was wearing a checkered skirt and a black blouse, her hair was set the same way it always was and an uncertain smile was playing upon her lips. She had her cloak on her shoulders but in a way that was elegant and beautiful.

“I’m glad you came.” Draco said hoarsely.

“I’m glad I did, too.” Hermione said and blushing walked up to where Draco was standing.

“How are you?” Draco asked kindly.

“I’m fine,” Hermione said looking down at her feet. “I’m sorry, for that day in Potions…I was rather nasty.” Draco shook his head and daringly pushed away a strand of hair that rested on her cheek.

“You weren’t nasty. I deserved everything you said. I might have to say that you went easy on me.” Draco said, not letting his eyes look away from her’s, no matter how much it hurt him. Her eyes were attentive and almost confused at what she was hearing.

“Hermione, I can’t take back everything I might’ve said to you, or done to you. But I can tell you how much you mean to me. You must understand, the words and things that I’ve said and done are from someone that doesn’t exist anymore. Someone I am ashamed to admit I was. Maybe, I don’t realize the extent of the damage I might’ve done to you…”

Draco stopped; he was crumbling under the weight of this. Never had he been so sensitive, never had he understood, until now, how much damage he had done. Hermione’s eyes were now sad, and understanding, and she put her hand on his arm and laid her head on his chest. Draco trembled at her touch and inhaled deeply, and rested his chin on her head. He was finally with her, and she was with him. Maybe Draco didn’t notice that his eyes were tearing up, but he knew that he had pulled her close and she didn’t resist. He lifted her chin up so that she was looking at him. Draco was surprised that her eyes were red, and a tear was falling down her cheek. Draco wiped it away.

“I have something for you, but first I want to say something.” Draco said softly.

“Yes?” Hermione asked, wiping away the rest of her tears but not moving away.

“Hermione, I lo”“ Draco was interrupted by huge movement under his feet.

Apparently, Draco and Hermione had forgotten that the staircases moved. Hermione’s cloak was thrown off by the speed of the movement. They were thrown off balance as the staircase swerved to the left. Draco pulled Hermione in front of him so she wouldn’t be crushed under his weight as they were thrown aside by the force of the movement.

It seemed that Dumbledore had increased the staircase’s movement speed for students reaching classes at late times. Draco had never been on a staircase when it moved. He felt his spine crash into the rough stone railing and groaned. Hermione’s hands were still on his chest when the staircase moved unexpectedly to the right. Again, they were caught off guard and this time, Draco didn’t have the time to pull Hermione in front of him to save her from an excruciating pain, instead he just managed to pull her closer so he could put his arm around the small of her back. Draco felt his arm slice from the sharp railing. Then everything stopped. Draco pulled away from Hermione so he could see if she was okay. Hermione’s eyes were closed. Draco gently shook her awake, and she opened her eyes.

“Hermione, are you okay?” Draco asked, his hands on her shoulders.

“I’m fine”“

“Hermione!” yelled a voice. Hermione and Draco turned to find Ron standing at the foot of the steps. Ron was looking at the hands on Hermione’s shoulders, the cloak on the floor, to Hermione’s now disheveled hair.

“Ron…” Hermione whispered.

“What the hell did you do to her?” Ron said fiercely, his eyes glittering in utter anger.

“Ron, no he didn’t”“ Hermione began defensively.

“I ASKED YOU, WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO?” Ron yelled and he pulled out his wand. Green sparks flew out and Draco was thrown backwards, landing on his back on the steps.

Draco felt cuts open on his back. Hermione screamed. Ron ignored this and focused on Draco. Ron muttered something and Draco fell forward, this time landing on the side of his face. He felt a searing pain across his cheek and forehead. Draco pulled himself up and trembling, reached for his wand. Before he could, he caught Hermione’s eye and released his wand from his grasp. Draco promised, promised he wouldn’t hurt Ron or Harry. Hermione couldn’t speak; she was in shock. Ron let another curse fly from his wand. Draco felt his body convulse and fall back once more. Ron pointed his wand at Draco.

"NO!" Hermione screamed, before Ron could do anything more.
Ron looked at her.

“That’s enough, Ron!” Hermione said, her voice trembling.

Ron nodded and glared at Draco. Who was trembling as he pulled himself up. Ron grabbed Hermione’s arm but she pushed him away. Ron looked at her questioningly.

“Go away, Ron.” Hermione said through gritted teeth. Ron opened his mouth to retort, but instead glared at Draco before walking away, still trembling in anger.

Hermione heard a thump and turned back to Draco. In his state, Draco couldn’t manage consciousness and fell back down. Hermione ran to him and turned him over, blood was blossoming on his chest.

What Hermione Granger didn’t know was that the gift was broken, and in turn, was hurting Draco. The rose shattered in its box and its valuable pieces cut through the box when it had been crushed between Draco’s and the staircase's weight. The shattered remains ripped through cloak and sweater, finally embedding themselves in Draco’s chest.
Rapeller Toujours by pheonixhobbit
I wrote this chapter to the mood of the song "Sumiregusa". Go to Enya.com and click the gray Sumerigusa highlight, that will lead you to windows media player and then you can listen to it from there. A minute and Ten seconds in to the song there is this gorgeous crescendo. That part in the song fits the part when Draco and Hermione kiss almost perfectly. Try to fit that part in the song with story and you'll see.

Draco’s eyes fluttered open, and for a moment or two, the only thing he saw was a bright light. His fears were confirmed.

“I’m dead?” Draco muttered in to the vast blankness.

“No. Not dead, thank god.” Said a voice. He recognized it, but couldn’t put his finger on it. Then, suddenly, memories came flooding back. The rose, the staircase, Ron, Hermione…

“Hermione!” Draco sat up, only to fall back down from a horrible pain on the right side of his chest.

“Lie down, Mr. Malfoy.” Said the voice again. Draco’s eyes began to clear up and he saw Madame Pomfrey, stern and resentful.

“What happened? Where’s Hermione?” Draco asked anxiously.

“Miss Granger hasn’t been since last night. You gave us quite a scare.” Pomfrey said, her eyes softening up. Draco felt the bandages on his chest, leading up to his back.

“Do you mind if I look in a mirror?” Draco asked. Pomfrey nodded and gave him a mirror. Draco wondered what happened to the cuts on his face.

“The cuts on your face are cleared up, there are only a few very faint brown scars. But those will go away in a day’s time. A valuable looking rose, however, caused the cuts on your chest. Those will hurt. I put some healing potion on those bandages; you can take those off in three days. The cuts were pretty deep because the longer they were in, the farther in they went. We found a piece of jagged ruby that was a centimeter away from your lungs. Be happy that Granger was there, other wise we’d have had to send you off to St. Mungo’s. We used a repairing charm to fix your rose.” Pompfrey informed Draco, but all he heard was “Granger” and “valuable looking rose”.

“Where did you put the rose?” Draco asked apprehensively.
Madame Pomfrey pointed to his side table. Draco turned and was relieved to see that it was fixed. Every bit of it was put in its place. Draco reached over and touched the rose, and inhaled in relief. Thank heavens he still had something to give to Hermione.

“It’s almost lunch, yours is on the side table as well. Oh, and I don’t want you to use that arm, it was a pretty deep cut, too.” Pomfrey said, and then after a moment added, “I don’t know what happened down there, Mr. Malfoy, but I suggest you plan a huge thank you note.” And then she disappeared behind her office door.

Draco lay in his bed for hours, hoping against hope that Hermione would come through the doors. He played the image in his head. Hermione would wrap her arms around him, and they would talk, they would be happy. Nothing, not even Ron, would stop them from being together. His lunch sat ignored on the table, the soup going cold. Draco only got up to relieve himself and to stare out the windows. It was a sunny day, but night called for thunderstorms, and rain. Curtains of rain, was the phrase that he heard Pomfrey say to another patient. Then, finally night fell. Draco was glad it was Sunday, and that they had no homework.

It was maybe nine o’clock at night when he got fed up with the Hospital Wing. An idea flew in his head; it might’ve been the hunger getting to him, or it might’ve been the spark of daring genius. Draco gathered his strength, and wearing only the trousers on his legs and the bandages on his chest, back, and arms, he picked up the rose, grabbed his cloak, a quill and parchment, and left for the Owlery.

Luckily, the curfew had been extended to eleven thirty and he had plenty of time. Draco put the parchment against the wall of the Owlery and began to write.

Hermione,
Once again there is no need to say who I am. Please come down. I am standing under Gryffindor Tower.

Draco decided he would come short for identity purposes and tied the letter to an owl after writing Hermione Granger on the front. The owl soared off and Draco made his way to the main doors. Taking his time, he walked through the downpour of rain; it completely drenched him, made his hairline extend to the brim of his forehead. The bandages began to drip with rainwater even behind his cloak. The cuts began to sting as the water seeped through. Draco trudged through the grass that was slowly pooling with a muddy concoction. Finally, drenched, he stood under Gryffindor Tower.

Hermione Granger had all the intentions of avoiding Ron, she had hid herself in the Lady’s Dormitory and only came down to eat. At the time, Hermione was reading her book.

“The Loch ness monster has been sighted…has been sighted…” Hermione murmured, trying to understand the sentence but worrying and killing herself over Draco.

A familiar tapping came at the window. Hermione turned her head sharply to look at the window; a brown owl was waiting on the sill. Hermione went over to the latch and let the bird in, it soared onto her shoulder, sticking out its leg to her.

Hermione slowly reached for it, her fingers shaking, and her eyes wide with excitement. She swallowed and opened the note. A moment later she looked out the window, and saw a boy looking up at her. Hermione put the note in her pocket, grabbed her cloak and ran down the stairs to the Common Room. She avoided everyone that was there, even Harry and Ron, leaving them uninformed.

Hermione got to the main doors as fast as she could, thrusting them open and making her way through the sheets of rain that were falling unnoticed around her. Hermione stopped when she saw Draco a few feet away. He was bandaged, she noticed, and soaking.

Hermione walked slowly towards him with time understanding the tenderness of the moment. Soon, she was standing centimeters away, and her feet were glued to the ground. Draco closed the gap, wrapping his arms around Hermione, ignoring the pain that shot through.

“Are you alright?” Hermione asked, her voice trembling, tears blending in with the rain.

“I’m fine. I feel better when you’re with me.” Draco whispered, holding her closer. Thunder resounded above.

“Do you want to leave?” Draco asked, “I don’t want you to get sick.”

“No. Let’s just stay here, please?” Hermione said, smiling weakly. Draco smiled, and nodded. Hermione gasped when her eyes fell on the bloodstained bandages on his chest.

“This is all…Ron’s fault?” Hermione asked, her voice shaking uncontrollably, her fingers grazing the stain.

“No. It’s my doing.” Draco reassured her.

“Don’t say that.” Hermione said sharply, and laid her head on the un-bandaged side of his chest. Amidst the rain, she could hear his heart beat, his slow deep breaths. His body was warm, and she wondered how she could have ever thought him evil.

“Before anything else happens, I have to give you something…” Draco said, gently lifting her head so her could reach inside his cloak pocket. Draco found the rose, thankfully noticing that it was still undamaged as he pulled it out.

“This, Hermione Granger, is for you.” Draco said, holding the rose out for her. Hermione gasped, and took it gently from him.

“Thank you, but I don’t deserve it…” Hermione whispered, shock outlined her features as she examined it. Draco lifted her chin so she could look in his eyes.

“I don’t deserve you. I never will. But what I am going to tell you, you must always remember.” Draco said softly, taking the rose from her and putting it inside her cloak pocket. Then, he pulled her close enough to whisper in her ear. Draco pressed his lips against her cheek, and then whispered

“I love you.” Draco pulled back so he could look in her eyes and saw that Hermione was crying silently, but she looked content and deeply in love.

“I love you too.” Hermione said quietly. Draco felt his heart leap and pulled her closer, wrapping his arms around her body, and Hermione did the same. They clung together in a world that dismissed their love. Draco released her just enough so that he could look at her.

“You must always remember, Hermione, always remember that I love you. When you’ve nowhere to turn, I’m going to be there. I don’t care about my reputation. I don’t care if I die trying to be with you…I’ll die happy, knowing that you’re alive, that you know I love you.” Draco told her, taking her hands and bringing them to his lips.

“Draco…I don’t want you hurt anymore…” Hermione said, the rain falling harder, as if to encourage a kiss.

“I’ve been hurt so many times; I don’t feel it. The only thing that would hurt me is if I lost you.” Draco said seriously.

“I will always be yours…I will always remember that you love me, that I love you.” Hermione said through tears. Draco lifted her chin and pressed his lips against hers. The first truly happy moment in the life of Draco Malfoy.

The rain stopped, and the stars came out to watch the two lovers as they crossed the boundaries of love. Hermione smiled at her hero, and they walked inside the castle, holding hands, soaked to the bone.

Draco walked her to the Gryffindor portrait, and they kissed one last time before Hermione disappeared behind the portrait.

Draco walked peacefully back to the Hospital Wing, hoping against all odds that the night wasn’t a dream. Draco laid down in his bed and fell into a peaceful sleep, dreaming for the first time, of a Hermione that was his, in the dream world and finally, finally in the real world.
People Can Change by pheonixhobbit
That night, Hermione Granger abandoned her usual schedule of studying and reading, and wondered instead on the kiss that Draco had given her. She put her fingers to her lips and thoughtfully wondered. A soft smile fluttered across her lips, and she closed her eyes.

Hermione slowly lay back on her pillow and sighed quietly. She felt so beautiful. From the soaking locks on her head to her tender feet, she felt a grace inside her, something that swam in her blood; something kissed her soul and grazed its fingers across her heart. She was, for the first true time in her teenage life, in love. She was in love with someone who had been her enemy a few weeks ago…no…Draco was never her enemy, just trying to live up to what he had made himself to be, but crushing himself as he did. Hermione felt little if no resent against Draco, they had saved each other that night and would continue to do so until the end of time.

Hermione wasn’t aware that she was dozing off, but she was aware of some wonderful feeling that was washing over her; love.

Hermione woke up as morning filtered through her window, and she felt the same way she did the other night. Hermione gathered her clothes, and went for a hot shower. The water hit her body and she indulged in its addictive heat. Hermione closed her eyes against the water and almost fell asleep again. She hadn’t said a word since she left Draco the other night, and she kept that silent promise, as if when she spoke she would fall out of this makeshift heaven and Draco wouldn’t be there to catch her when she did. Hermione dried herself and put on her school uniform.

“Because it’s Monday.” Hermione thought to herself, while buttoning up her blouse. Hermione combed her damp hair and moisturized her face and hands. She grabbed her book bag and went down the stairs for an early breakfast and hoping to see Draco.

“Where are you going so early in the morning?” said a voice
Hermione turned around and saw Ron sitting on an armchair with his arms folded across his chest. His eyes were puffy with tiredness and his hair was disheveled.

“Why do you care?” Hermione retorted, still remembering the staircase incident.

Ron’s face tensed as he stared at her, but a moment later he blinked, swallowed and looked at the ground. Hermione shook her head and made to leave.
“I saw you.” Ron said forcefully. Hermione’s heart stopped, and she turned around.

“What?” she asked, her voice trembling with anger and fear,

“I saw you and Malfoy, last night. You were…you were…” Ron stopped and turned away, as if he was going to be sick if he said it.

“Kissing. Yes, I know. And his name is Draco.” Hermione snapped. Ron stared at her, and then got up and walked towards her. He put his hands on her shoulders and looked in her eyes.

“He is the son of a Death Eater, he makes fun of my family, he called you Mudblood, he hates Half-Bloods and despises Harry. The Sorting Hat didn’t have to be put on his head for him to be put in Slytherin and it didn’t wait a bloody second when it did.” Ron said seriously, his eyes glittering and wide with a ferocity that Hermione had never seen. Hermione grimaced and shook Ron’s hands off her shoulders.

“You can’t look past his surface, can you Ron? Draco didn’t fight back that day on the staircase; he let you hurt him. He promised me he wouldn’t hurt you or Harry! I made him promise. Draco was unconscious for fifteen hours, if he had such a big ego he would’ve come after you in less than a second! If he was so evil he would’ve killed you.” Hermione snapped; she wasn’t about to believe this.

“What, you’re saying the Sorting Hat bloody malfunctioned?” Ron yelled in reply.

“I’m saying that back then, Draco admired his father, he wanted to become his father! Well, hey, Lucius Malfoy wanted an evil son, so he poured some evil and malice into Draco. First years are extremely vulnerable. Even we were vulnerable, we believed everything we could touch. Just because a person is born into a house doesn’t mean that they have to have those characteristics forever!” Hermione yelled, her face becoming flushed.

“But he’s Draco Malfoy!” Ron said exasperatedly. Hermione closed her eyes, and exhaled, calming her self.

“People can change, Ron. I thought you of all people knew that.” Hermione said slowly.

“What are you getting at?” Ron asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Your own brother…” Hermione began.

“Oh, bloody hell, Hermione!!!” Ron said, throwing his hands up in the air.

“Ron, your own brother, left your family, because of assumptions made by a pompous egoistic man like Fudge. He was a Gryffindor Prefect, Head boy, and our friend, Ron. Please, don’t think that other people can’t change, they can. Draco has changed for the better. I just wish you could see that.” Hermione pleaded.

“You have a point. But it doesn’t make this any less comfortable, Hermione. I just don’t want to see you hurt.” Ron said, softening up.

“I know this is hard for you to take in but just give it some time, Ron. I don’t expect you to give up six years of hatred over night.” Hermione said soothingly.

“I don’t expect to. After completely insulting my family and me for six years, everyday. I can take that because I’m used to it…but you and Malfoy”“

“Draco, Ron.” Hermione corrected. Ron rolled his eyes.

“You and Draco…it’s just hard to believe…that…he called you Mudblood, and he calls himself Pure-Blood…it’s…wow. Blimey. Wait till I tell Harry…” Ron said to himself.

“I already know.” Said Harry behind Hermione. Hermione turned around to face him

“Harry, you better had heard this because I’m not going to explain it again.” Hermione said warningly. Harry smiled and shook his head.

“Last night I kind of…uhm…followed Draco around a bit in my invisibility cloak...to see if he was going to hurt you or not.” Harry began slowly, afraid of Hermione’s reaction, fortunately Hermione smiled.

“And?” she asked.

“There’s nothing for you to be afraid of, but don’t tell him I followed him around or anything like that. Hermione, just because Draco’s changed for the better doesn’t mean the rest of Slytherin House has, so watch yourself. Oh, and it’s going to take a while for me to get used to you and Draco…and tell him to ease up on Ron.” Harry said, putting a hand on Hermione’s shoulder. Hermione beamed and pulled Harry and Ron into a tight hug.

“You guys will always be my best friends, but it’s just that I’m deeply in love with Draco and I’m his friend as well. You don’t have to be if you don’t want to.” Hermione said, and felt a great weight lift off her. Hermione left Harry and Ron with a happy feeling, and Harry and Ron were feeling a little better, knowing that Draco wouldn’t hurt Hermione.

Happiness was on her side today, and even if she doubted that Harry and Ron would be friends with Draco, she believed that they would never hurt each other. She trusted Harry’s judgment, but Ron’s reaction bothered her; he was too lenient. Ron hadn’t believed Draco to be angelic just yet. Hermione felt a shudder go through her heart as she suspected some trouble before she and Draco could be peacefully in love. Hermione knew that things would get in their way, and she wasn’t wrong.

It was then, while walking to breakfast, that she caught the eye of a person waiting for her by the doors to the Great Hall. Hermione walked towards Draco and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing his cheek.

“It’s going to be ok.” She whispered.

“Did you tell Harry and Ron?” Draco asked, whispering softly in her ear, as he held her body close to him.

“I did. They’re okay with it, but…” Hermione began but stopped, she pulled back to look at him. “It’s Ron. I don’t know what he’s about on the subject.”

“Don’t worry about it, I’m not up on being best friends with him yet…or Harry for that matter. Do you realize I’m calling them by their first name?” Draco asked, puzzled.

“Yes. They called you by your first name as well…not easily though. Easy up on them both, don’t make fun of Ron’s family, it hurts me when you do.” Hermione told him pleadingly.

“I won’t, I’m through with being nasty like that. Just don’t expect me to smile and shake their hands or anything. I can ignore them if you want.” Draco suggested.

“That’s more than enough.” Hermione said and laid her head on Draco’s chest.

The sunlight shined on her hair and Draco touched the silky strands, mesmerized by the beauty she possessed inside and out.

“I’m still scared, Draco. What if something happens?” Hermione asked, looking up at Draco as he pressed his lips against her forehead.

“Then you must remember, Hermione, always remember that I love you.” Draco whispered softly. “And no matter what happens, I’ll always be there when you need me.”

Hermione nodded and moved closer to him, as if she wanted to hide in his wisdom. Draco kissed her lips before she could do anything and pulled her close, showing once again, that he loved her, and that his love would save her from any trouble, threatening or not.
Told You So by pheonixhobbit
Draco and Hermione sat together as they ate their breakfast, seldom noticing what they were eating. Hermione suddenly noticed that Draco’s bandages were off and wondered why she hadn’t noticed it before. She tapped his shoulder to get his attention.

“You got your bandages off?” Hermione asked, smiling in relief. Draco let out a short laugh.

“Yeah,” Draco replied while scraping the burnt off his piece of toast. Hermione raised her eyebrows.

“That’s it? It doesn’t hurt anymore and you don’t need to stay in bed?” she asked curiously.

“Umm…” Draco began, wondering whether to tell Hermione the truth.

“Draco...” she said warningly.

“Madame Pomfrey took the bandages off.” Draco said, smiling unconvincingly.

“Draco!” Hermione said again, hitting his arm lightly.

“Alright, alright! She took the bandages off but she told me to stay in bed because of how sore the cuts were going to get,” Draco surrendered. Hermione sighed and frowned at him.

“Draco, cuts like that can get really serious if they aren’t tended to properly. Now, I know that isn’t all she told you. Pomfrey’s more careful than that. She probably told you to put some diluted phoenix tears on it every night, and she got you permission to stay out of school for at least two more days.” Hermione explained formally. Draco listened to her open-mouthed.

“How did you know that?” Draco asked, shocked.

“Because I read,” Hermione stated and wrapped her arms around his waist, letting her head fall onto his shoulder. Draco slipped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer.

“I’ll be fine,” Draco murmured, kissing the top of her head.

“I’m not so sure. It was horrible. I turned you over on your back when you were unconscious, and there was blood all over your chest. I didn’t want to touch you because I thought I’d hurt you more. I saw Nearly Headless Nick who was in one of the halls near us and I yelled at him to stay by you while I went to get someone. I found Dumbledore walking around and he came to help. He picked you up right off the ground and looked at you for a moment. There was blood dripping from your arm and back, chest and face. He said, just by looking at you he could tell that if whatever hurt you got to your lungs it would take more than a trip to St. Mungow’s. He told me not to worry, even though you were hurt. He knew what was going on, I guess. I don’t want to know what would’ve happened if you got hurt here.” Hermione said, putting her hand on his heart to finish the sentence.

Draco held the hand that was over his heart in place and squeezed it comfortingly. Hermione lifted her head to look at him and shifted uncomfortably.

“Draco, what cut you in the first place? Stair steps can’t do that much damage, ” Hermione asked, wearing a worried expression.

Draco closed his eyes; he didn’t want to tell her. Hermione sensed his hesitation and kissed his cheek lovingly.

“You can tell me.” She whispered.

“The rose I gave you… was in the chest pocket on the right side of my robes. Because I fell so many times, the box caved in and the rose shattered under my weight. Ruby's kind of sharp when broken,” Draco let his explanation paint itself from there. Hermione's eyes became wider.

“Then, it’s my fault. If I hadn’t come it wouldn’t have happened,” Hermione said, and her eyes became distant.

Draco swiveled in his position and held Hermione’s shoulders.

“It isn’t your fault.” Draco said sternly. Hermione didn’t answer; she was staring at the ground, shaking her head slowly; not really believing what Draco said.

Draco pulled her into tight hug. He felt his chest throb with the pressure on his wounds. Hermione knew this and gasped.

“It’s okay,” Draco said soothingly.

“No, it’s not,” Hermione replied sadly. Draco put a hand on her cheek and felt blessed for having someone who cared about him so much.

“I’ll take the medicine that Pomfrey gave me,” Draco said, hoping that it would be enough.

“You'd better,” Hermione said, nodding her head fervently.

It was maybe twenty minutes later that the rest of the student body filed in the Great Hall. The students did double takes when they saw Draco and Hermione, they were pointing and snickering, and talking in rude undertones. Hermione glanced at Draco nervously. Draco took no sign of noticing them; he didn’t really want to.

“Draco?” Hermione asked uncomfortably. Draco turned his attention to Hermione, and when she pointed, he saw the crowd that they were attracting.

“Ah...” Draco stated. Hermione was looking at him and smiling in an apologetic way.

Draco smiled questioningly, and raised an eyebrow. Hermione was shocked when she saw his facial expression. He looked…well there is no other way to explain. He looked devilishly handsome. Hermione furrowed her brow for a moment to get her focus on what she was about to say.

“I’m going back to the Gryffindor table, whatever I say next, don’t take it seriously,” Hermione said apologetically, and got up from the table.

“Okay”“ Draco began.

“YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! I DESPISE YOU! YOU’RE JUST AN INSIGNIFICANT BLEMISH IN THE FACE OF HUMANITY!” Hermione shrieked, her face became red as she felt eyes upon her. Draco looked at her open mouthed, and then he got the idea and shut it quickly.

“Right…err…I mean, RIGHT. YOU’RE A LITTLE…ANNOYING…uhh…THING. NOBODY…uhh…likes you?” Draco said uncertainly. Then, realizing that his retort was pitiful, he took out his wand with a flourish and sent a shower of green sparks towards the wall behind her. The whole school was watching now. Hermione smiled; it was a good addition.

“Whatever...” Hermione said in convincing anger and swiveling around, she stalked off.

The student body glanced at Draco and Hermione and then went back to their own business. Draco kept stealing glances at Hermione during the remainder of the breakfast, and she him. Breakfast was dismissed half an hour later and everyone gathered his or her books to begin the day.

Transfiguration, Divination, Defense Against The Dark Arts, Care of Magical Creatures, and Charms went on as usual. Potions, however, was a different story. The students noisily put their cauldrons and ingredients out on their tables, and waited impatiently for Professor Snape. Harry and Ron had sat far away from Hermione at breakfast, but now they were sitting loyally next to her.

“I missed you both at breakfast, where were you two?” Hermione asked Harry as she got her notes out.

“We didn’t want to ruin any mushy moments between you and the ferret,” Ron replied out of turn.

“Excuse me, didn’t you just say you were okay with Draco and I?” Hermione asked.

“I didn’t just say it. I said it in the morning, that was like, a million hours ago!” Ron snapped. Hermione looked at him questioningly.

“We didn’t want to disturb you so I went and sat with Neville and Dean. Ron sat with Seamus and Ginny. Ron didn’t want to sit by me either...maybe because I’m okay with you and Draco and he’s not.” Harry informed as Ron steadily began to turn a deep red. Hermione patted Ron’s shoulder comfortingly.

“This is so stupid. There’s probably more than a thousand boys in this school and you picked Malfoy?” Ron snapped. Hermione and Harry rolled their eyes.

“No. Look, Hermione...” Ron said seriously and turned Hermione’s chair around so that she was facing him.

“You can’t pretend that nothing’s going to happen. I’m not worried about Malfoy hurting you; I’m worried about the other Slytherins hurting you. I’m worried about what will happen to you if Pansy Parkinson finds out. What if Lucius Malfoy gets word of it? The Death-Eater’s, what if they find out? His own son has feelings for a Half-Blood. That’s the kind of thing that Malfoy’s dad loves to finish. He’ll have you killed, Hermione. He’ll have you both killed. Azkaban won’t keep him from destroying any of you once," Ron stopped to ready himself, "once Voldemort’s fully back in power. Lucius Malfoy’s hatred for Half-Bloods runs deeper than his love for Draco, his own son. If you think it’s going to be happily ever after and fireside kisses, than you’re mistaken. Am I the only one that sees the severity of this?” Ron asked fiercely.

Hermione knew that Ron’s words were truthful and only meant to help her see what she was walking into incase she didn’t know what was there.

“If I didn’t know that, Ron, I wouldn’t be here. If I didn’t know that it might end up horribly, I’d be in another house. Sometimes you have to have faith in things you can’t see. Our fate is written, all of ours is. I would know if it was the wrong decision. You and Harry know that if Draco can protect me I’ll be the safest person in the world. Draco knows that if I didn’t have you guys as my best friends that in the end I’d die a miserable person. If I can’t have you all by my side than I wouldn’t know what to do.” Hermione replied and Harry placed a hand on Hermione’s shoulder. Ron looked in Hermione’s eyes for a moment and then nodded.

“You’re right… as always. But be careful,” Ron said and smiled. Hermione threw her arms around Ron’s neck and then she did the same to Harry. Ron blushed, and Harry smiled in gratitude. Suddenly the classroom doors were thrown open, and Professor Snape walked inside.

“Good. You have everything out. Here are the instructions for the Gillius Potion." Snape said as he walked towards the chalk board. He waved his wand over it and a set of instruction appeared.

"The Gillius Potion, for starters, will help you breath under water for as long as six hours. Its potency is that of magnificent because mostly male, warrior mermaids donate the ingredients. If you did any studying over the weekend, you would know that you do not have any of the ingredients. I took the liberty of providing them. Tell me, what part of a mermaid is donated to the school for this purpose?” Snape asked monotonously. Hermione’s hand was the first to be raised followed by, well, no one.

“Someone from Slytherin house? No? Then, someone who is not a know-it-all?” Snape asked, ignoring Hermione’s hand. Draco raised his bravely.

“Mr. Malfoy?” Snape said, relieved. Everyone turned to look at Draco.

“I believe that the answer will be found out if you let Miss Granger speak.” Draco said smartly. Everyone’s eyes widened and their eyebrows were raised. Snape cleared his throat and looked at Draco in a shocked manner.

“I do not let students answer me in that way, Mr. Malfoy. Five points from Slytherin house.” Snape said with much difficulty. Harry and Ron stared open mouthed at Draco. Draco glanced at them and then returned to whatever he was doing before. Hermione nudged Ron and Harry.

“Told you so.” Hermione said triumphantly. Ron shut his mouth and returned his attention to a blank sheet of paper. Harry laughed in an unbelieving manner and began to twiddle his thumbs.

The rest of Potions class went on as usual, except there were no volleying insults from the Gryffindors to the Slytherins. Inside, Draco felt good, felt more human than he had three days ago. The dark cloud hovering over him had broken away and Draco wasn’t a lonely island anymore.
Unseen Enemies by pheonixhobbit
The clock struck the heavenly hours of five o’clock and the students filled their vials of Gillius Potion. After setting their vials on Professor Snape’s desk, they gathered their book bags and left for dinner.

Draco smiled triumphantly as he waited outside the classroom for Hermione. Even though his chances for passing the midterm by simply being Snape’s pet were undeniably slim, the barrier that held back his humanity was now quite demolished. The one thing Draco didn’t realize was that even though Crabbe and Goyle were going along with his behavior, there was one person that didn’t accept it.

Pansy Parkinson had been watching the interaction decrease between Draco and herself and instead tilt towards a certain Muggle-born, bushy haired, Gryffindor girl. All through Potions Pansy had sat watching Draco’s eyes flicker towards Hermione, and Hermione’s eyes would linger momentarily on Draco. Then, they would smile slightly and continue with their work. Pansy wanted to wring that Mudblood’s neck for all it was worth. What did Hermione Granger have that she hadn’t? Well, obviously, a body full of dirty blood, and hideously plain features that could hardly make a man blink twice. Anger boiled up inside Pansy, she was so angry with Draco, but she despised Hermione for stealing Draco from her. This would be war; this would be revenge. Hermione Granger had crossed the line and Pansy would not let her get away with it. Granger would suffer.

"Draco belongs to me, and always will." Pansy muttered. Then she smiled; and evil smirk that only showed one fact: Pansy Parkinson never lost a fight. With that thought in mind, she left for the Slytherin Dungeons to begin plotting for Hermione Granger’s downfall.

Hermione left the Potions classroom after telling Harry and Ron not to follow when she left with Draco. They had rolled their eyes and left with Dean, Seamus, Neville and a few other friends. Hermione met Draco outside after making sure there were no students around. Satisfied, she fell into his arms, silently thanking him for his behavior in Potions. Draco ran his fingers through her hair and kissed the top of her forehead. Smiling at each other, they walked towards the Great Hall for dinner.

“Are you hungry?” Draco asked suddenly when they reached the doors.

“Not really. Why, you’re not?” Hermione asked, twirling one of her curls around her finger.

“Not by much,” Draco shrugged.

“It’s almost sunset. Do you want to go for a walk?” Hermione asked suggestively.

“A walk would be good right now to be honest,” Draco replied.

“Come on, then,” Hermione said, pulling Draco to the main entrance. Before they could open the doors they heard a sudden cackle. Looking up, they saw Peeves floating along the ceiling.

“Ah-ha ha!” Peeves laughed, “Caught you red handed, Peevsey did! Slytherin boys and Gryffindor girls shouldn’t be together! And all alone!” Peeves said with an air of mischief. He batted his eyes innocently.

“Go away, Peeves!” Draco barked, “Leave us alone!”


“Young Malfoy’s got a lover.
And a fine one she is!
Teeth of bright yellow!
Hair of fine frizz!”
Peeves sang loudly.

“Peeves don’t make me hurt you!” Hermione warned, pointing her wand up at him.

“Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!” Peeves laughed melodiously.

“Peeves, I’ll call the Bloody Baron on you. He’ll listen to me, I am in Slytherin, you know,” Draco said, smiling menacingly as Peeves’s smile faded.

“Just having some fun. No harm intended, Malfoy-son.” Peeves declared and with that, he whizzed off. Hermione exhaled in relief, and Draco shook his head as he opened the door.

“Annoying git,” Draco muttered as they left the castle.

“Bloody pinhead,” Hermione said in agreement, “What kind of loyalty does Dumbledore owe to Peeves? I mean, why keep him around, you know?”

“I honestly couldn’t tell you that one,” Draco said.

For the next hour, they walked around outside the castle, holding hands, and enjoying each other’s company. They talked little, only because they were deep in thought and feeling.

The sky was a purple twilight color when they went back inside. Draco and Hermione took a separate way to their dormitories so they could be alone and once again, Draco walked with Hermione to Gryffindor tower. They were in a secluded part of the castle when Draco stopped.

“What’s wrong?” Hermione asked.

“I don’t know. Something doesn’t feel right,” Draco said, scratching the back of his head.

Hermione furrowed her eyebrows and rubbed Draco’s arm soothingly.

“What is it?” Hermione asked curiously. Draco shook his head, but after a second an expression of dawning came onto his face.

“Oh yeah...” Draco said in realization. He lifted Hermione’s chin and kissed her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close. Hermione stood in shock for a second, but then she put her arms around Draco’s neck.

“Please warn me before you do that,” Hermione said when they parted. Draco smiled and they walked on.

Meanwhile, Pansy Parkinson plotted her revenge. She had sat alone in the Slytherin Common room for an hour and soon it was getting dark. She was toying with some nasty ideas when Draco walked in. Her heart nearly leapt out of her chest.

“Hello, Pansy,” Draco said formally when he saw her. Luckily, she didn’t catch the strained annoyance in his voice.

“Good evening, Draco,” Pansy replied, smiling at him almost seductively, “How have you been? I haven’t talked to you for a while now.”

“I've been busy,” Draco said, his hands behind his back.

“With Hermione Granger?” Pansy replied coolly. Pansy didn’t see any sign of surprise in his features.

“What do you mean?” Draco asked, his insides twisting threateningly.

“I meant what I said. You have been hanging around her, haven’t you?” Pansy said, getting up and walking to where Draco was standing.

“Hanging?” Draco asked; his stomach churned at the use of the word and he swallowed back his fear. Instead, he cocked his head and looked at Pansy in mockery, “Pansy, your vocabulary has decreased to such a mediocre level.” Draco said, trying to layer his remark with as much icy sarcasm as possible. Pansy raised an eyebrow and smiled, she put her arms around Draco’s neck and he cringed in anger.

“The next in line Malfoy has begun to fraternize with the Muggle-borns. His keen interest in them has sparked romance between him and a certain…Hermione Granger.” Pansy said, her eyes gleaming with malice, “At least that is what the headline of the Daily Prophet will say come tomorrow morning once I tell them,” Pansy said, but then she frowned, “No. That’s too long. What do you think of Draco Malfoy and his Pure-Blooded Betrayal?” Pansy asked. Draco pushed her arms off his shoulders.

“You wouldn’t dare,” Draco hissed. Pansy laughed.

“You should know me better than that, Draco Malfoy. The Daily Prophet is much too typical of me,” Pansy said menacingly.

“Goodnight Pansy,” Draco said, and walked into the boy’s dormitory. Pansy was left standing in the middle of the Common room. The candlelight illuminated her features, and she smiled. She watched the flames dance to and fro, and was lost once again in her plotting, it wouldn’t be long before Hermione got what she deserved. It wouldn’t be long.

Draco shut the door to the dormitory and leaned against the door. He had known Pansy Parkinson long enough to guess when she was going to spring a trap. This wasn’t a petty problem for her. For Pansy, it went all the way. Draco shuddered and wished he didn’t care so much for Hermione. He wished he didn’t love her so much; she would be safe that way.

Draco knew what Pansy was capable of and he knew how much she wanted him. Something would happen, something will happen, before long. Draco knew this and promised he wouldn’t let Hermione out of his sight; he would follow her wherever she went. So what if she got annoyed? It would be for her own good. He couldn’t tell Harry and Ron, they would believe that Draco himself would hurt Hermione. He didn’t know what to do.

Suddenly he reached for his suitcase. He pulled out something he had long refused to use since he got it in second year. Potter wasn’t the only one in the school to have secrets, to have a treasure handed down to him. He felt the soft lining, the delicate embroidery. He was so scared to put it on. People had been killed unknowing by it. So many innocent people, so many half bloods lost their lives because of an unseen murderer, a phantom of the dark. How could he have accepted such a gift? It had a history of evil. But Draco would use it for good, not for evil, and swallowing back his doubt and fear, he put on his father’s Invisibility Cloak.
The Anxieties of Draco Malfoy by pheonixhobbit
Draco hadn’t slept well for two weeks. The most hours he had slept in one night came to the grand total of three. His grades were plunging dramatically as his mind slowed dangerously near to a halt. The adolescent hair that began to grow on his chin became distinct as he ceased his nightly ritual of removing the hair magically. Draco’s hair became untidy and much like Harry’s as he forgot to comb it in his anxiety. His eyes began to lose their intimidating sparkle and took on a dull, exhausted shine. Draco’s nerves were also tested to breaking point as his worries and fears increased day by day when he saw that nothing was happening. If Draco would have paid less attention to Hermione and more to Pansy, he could have done something better to achieve victory over her. Yet, Draco felt it his duty to stay by Hermione, and protect her at all times.

Over the next few weeks, Pansy Parkinson devised and carried out her plan. It was simple, but deadly. For a week and a half Pansy snuck out to the Forbidden Forest, and in a secluded clearing, she magically began to dig a great pit. When finished, the hole was fifteen feet wide and fifteen feet long and came to a dangerous ninety-foot drop. Roots, sharp and stark, stuck out of the edges. Pansy would send an owl to Hermione, posing as Harry and Ron luring her to the area. As soon as she appeared by the hole, Pansy would curse her, which would cause her to fall in. The hole would then begin to refill itself, pounds and pounds of dirt would fall on Hermione as soon as she hit the ground; she'd be buried alive. To secure the plan, she would send an owl to Harry and Ron, posing as Hermione, telling them to come to the library to lure them away from the site. Pansy would send a letter to Draco, posing as Hermione as well. Pansy would tell Draco to meet her up in the Divination Corridor. Nobody would be able to stop her. Harry, Ron and Draco wouldn’t be there to save her. Draco would be on his way to the Divination Corridor thinking he’d meet Hermione. Harry and Ron would be in the library, thinking that they would meet her there. Pansy’s plan was set; all she had to do was set a date and time for the event. After a moment of pondering she chose the weekend before Christmas Break, Saturday night. The time: sunset, Pansy would let Hermione have a last look at it, Pansy guessed. Satisfied, Pansy happily pulled out a long red feather quill. She jovially dipped her quill in deep emerald ink, and taking the quill out of the bottle with a flourish, she proudly drew an ‘x’ on the day of Hermione Granger’s defeat.

It was dinnertime and Draco’s head was slowly falling onto the wooden surface of the table. Try as he might, Draco’s conscience would not let him close his eyes. This was because ever since he suspected Pansy, he had followed Hermione everywhere (excluding the bathroom, shower, and bedroom). Draco stayed close to her in the day and evening times, often having his arm around her, and looking behind him at all times. When it was dark, he slept outside the Gryffindor Portrait in his Invisibility Cloak, over-protective as it seems. Draco allowed himself fifteen minutes of shuteye every hour, and would wake up approximately three minutes before he had to. Draco hadn’t slept in his bed for so long, he forgot what his mattress felt like and envied rest of the student body for not having such worries as he. Draco only went to the dungeons to get his books, change his clothes, and shower. He had even stopped eating properly.

“It’s all for the best.” Draco muttered dazedly. He suddenly felt a hand on his back, and he lifted his head up sharply. To his relief he saw Hermione looking at him in concern. Draco had been sitting next to her at the Gryffindor table, the teacher’s had questioned but Dumbledore told them that Draco had his reasons.

“Would you like to take a walk with me?” Hermione asked.

“Yeah.” Draco said and gathered his books and clumsily made his way to the doors, pulled along by Hermione.

They walked along the grounds for a while and talked about random things. Hermione stopped by the banks of the lake.

“Sit down.” Hermione said pointedly. Draco dropped his books, and yawning, fell on the frigid grass.

“It’s cold, isn’t it?” Hermione said as she sat down next to him, pulling her cloak tighter.

“It’s nice.” Draco said and closing his eyes, he laid himself down, his head resting on Hermione’s thigh, and in return, Hermione kissed his cheek. Draco smiled in gratitude.

“I love you,” Hermione said softly, “but you don’t have to protect me all the time. I know what you’ve been doing. Your Invisibility Cloak’s gone loose a couple times while you were sleeping outside the Gryffindor portrait.” Draco’s eyes shot open so fast it hurt.

“How did you know?” he asked incredulously.

“One day, I left one of my books in the library. As I was going to fetch it in the dead of night, I happened to see a certain blonde headed boy’s head floating next to the portrait. Scared me half to death.” Hermione replied teasingly.

“Can’t keep anything from you, can I?” Draco asked, laughing. Hermione smiled, and then frowned.

“You look so exhausted, Draco. You’ve got to stop looking after me like that. You’ll end up hurting yourself more.”
Draco sat up and looked at Hermione.

“I can’t do that. I don’t feel good about you being without me.” Draco said, his eyes boring into Hermione’s. She put a hand on Draco’s cheek and he took it in his hand and kissed the palm.

“I can take care of myself. You haven’t slept in days. You’re the one that needs looking after.” Hermione said.

“I don’t want to leave you by yourself.” Draco replied.

“Yes, you can. You have to. I’ve done my share of fighting.” Hermione retorted gently.

“What if something happens and I’m not there to save you?” Draco asked, holding both of her hands to his lips.

“Then, I’d hex them.” Hermione replied and Draco smiled.

“I just need you to be careful, watch your back, and all around you, you hear? If I’m not there, take Harry and Ron with you. Do not go alone.” Draco said firmly.

“What if I go alone?” Hermione asked.

“Then I’ll have to come get you before something else does.” Draco replied.

“What if I go alone and nothing happens?” Hermione asked cheekily as Draco’s smile grew bigger.

“Then, I’ll hunt you down and follow you wherever you go, and I’ll never stop coming after you until you’re safe in my arms.”

“That’s a bad thing?” Hermione replied teasingly.

“Hermione Granger, do not speak to me in that tone.” Draco said with an air of a certain headmistress, Hermione laughed and threw her arms around Draco, who held her close.

“Promise me something.” Hermione said, still in Draco’s arms.

“Anything.” Draco replied comfortingly.

“Promise, starting from tonight, that you’ll go to your bed, and sleep there. Promise me, you’ll get a good night’s sleep and promise me you’ll start eating regularly.” Hermione said.

“Okay.” Draco replied.

“No, say you promise it.” Hermione demanded firmly.

“I promise.” Draco said, and hugged Hermione tighter. Draco felt content, sitting there, on the cold grass with Hermione in his arms. They stared out onto the misty lake for a while, and only when it got unbearably cold did they go back inside. Hermione kissed Draco goodnight and went to her own bed.

Draco trudged slowly back to the dungeons and hoped she would be safe. Tired as he was, he didn’t fail to put his Invisibility Cloak back in it’s place. Slowly, he showered, changed, and even more slowly, he crawled into bed. The feeling was magnificent; the pillow felt soft and cool against his head and the blankets didn’t seem to want to let go of him. Draco was asleep before he knew it, but even in his dreams something nagged at his brain, something that was bothering his soul greatly, and as much as he wanted to rid of it, Draco couldn’t help but wonder and question.
Compromise by pheonixhobbit
The next two weeks passed ordinarily, and Draco’s worries began to fade into feelings he thought were just paranoia. It was Friday night; the next day would be the beginning of holiday break. Snow had begun to fall steadily and continued to fall overnight as students slept. By Saturday morning, three inches of snow had blanketed the grounds and turret tops. Draco awoke to find himself shivering against the heatless dungeon and subconsciously cursed the school’s placement of the Slytherin House. Surely, the staff had enough decency to provide for the student’s well being? Draco pulled the blankets tighter around him and tried hopelessly to keep his eyes closed and his mind in the dream world. When he failed miserably and he gave up and throwing the blankets off of his shivering body, began to get ready.

Draco glanced at the Slytherin serpentine clock and figured that everyone else was probably awake, with the exception of Slytherin House who were still confined in a chilled dungeon.

“No point, really. First day of break, all students should be able to walk around in their pajamas…” he said loudly. The other Slytherin six years stirred at the sound of Draco’s voice.

“What the hell is wrong with you…waking us up for a bunch of stupid bananas…” mumbled a boy who was half awake and looked he had made a straightjacket out of his sheets, “Go back to sleep, Malfoy, you great elephant…”

“Shut-up, Gray!” Goyle yelled dazedly from across the room and threw a pillow at the boy. Gray made a muffled noise and went back to sleep, pillow still embedded in his face.

“No, no. Lie back down, go to sleep.” Draco said as Crabbe and Goyle began to climb out of their beds when they saw him. The two shrugged and fell back onto their beds in unison. Draco shook his head and went in the bathroom. A few moments later he came back out, fully dressed. He grabbed his cloak and left the dormitory.

Walking up the winding stairs leading out of the dungeons, Draco could feel the temperature change and embraced the warm atmosphere of the castle. It reminded him of the holidays, and Hermione. He had bought her a gift already, a white frilly scarf and matching gloves, along with Chocolate Frogs, Ice Mice, and Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. Draco even gathered his courage and went inside a stuffed animal shop, a place he had never ever gone into since the age of, well, he had never gone into a prissy stuffed animal shop before. There, Draco bought a chocolate brown teddy bear that clapped every time someone kissed you (he thought it would please her).

Draco felt his stomach rumble and quickened his pace, hoping for a delightful holiday breakfast. He was walking towards the Great Hall when suddenly he felt his arm being pulled backwards.

“Whoa…!” Draco cried as his body was dragged back, and his face tensed when he saw whom it was. Anger and dread filled his heart and he would’ve liked nothing more than to hex Pansy Parkinson into tomorrow.

“Hi, Draco,” Said Pansy seductively, “you’ve been ignoring me.” Pansy wrapped her arms around Draco’s neck, pulling herself mercilessly closer. Draco was not one to accept her cruel ways. At once he pushed her away furiously.

“Never, ever touch me in that way again, Parkinson.” He hissed. Pansy smirked.

“You used to let me touch you, why not now?” Pansy simpered and made to put her hands on Draco’s chest, but he shoved her hands away.

“Because I finally realized how pathetic you are.” Draco retorted, annoyed to the point of murder. Pansy clicked her tongue.

“Stay on my good side, Malfoy, or your precious Mudblood might just, say, fall out of your life.” Pansy said menacingly, raising her voice at the end of the question.

Draco’s temper snapped and he pushed her against the nearest wall and pinning her there, he swiftly took his wand out and placed the tip at her neck.

“What the hell do you mean by that? Answer me!” Draco yelled threateningly.

“I meant what I said, Draco. Nothing more, nothing less.” Pansy whispered evilly. Draco surveyed her expression, and knew she had something up her sleeve.

“If you lay a finger on her, I’ll come after you. I don’t care if it’s your shadow that darkens her way to me, I will find you, Parkinson. I will find you and I will make you pay. Do you understand me?” Draco said furiously, his voice shaking uncontrollably in anger. Pansy nodded and Draco thrust himself off of her and made his way in total anger to the Great Hall. Draco knew something would happen now, he was more than sure of it.

Pansy watched Draco as he disappeared behind the Great Hall doors and was tempted to go and kill Hermione right then, but she knew she had to keep herself in order, to make it as enjoyable as possible. Soon, the letters would be written and sent out, and her plan would begin to unravel.

Draco walked furiously to the Slytherin table, sat down and with a shaking hand, poured himself a glass of water. He brought the trembling glass to his mouth and drank from it with fervor. He set the glass down and put his face in his hands and let out a long shuddering breath. Draco’s quickened breath slowed and steadied. After calming down, he got up and went to look for Hermione. Draco walked swiftly upstairs to the Gryffindor portrait. He saw it fly open and Harry stepped out.

“Harry”I mean”Potter, have you seen Hermione around?” Draco asked, walking towards him. Harry raised an eyebrow.

“She’s still inside, sleeping, I would imagine. Why? Do you need her?” Harry asked, his voice natural.

“Yeah, that’s kind of why I asked, Potter.” Draco replied coolly.

“Well, I can’t exactly barge into the Girl’s Dormitory, now can I, Draco?” Harry retorted.

“Can’t you send another girl to go up there?” Draco asked impatiently.

Harry stared at Draco for a moment and then sighed.

“Ginny!” He called, and a moment later a short, red-haired, pretty girl appeared.

“What’s up, Harry?” she asked, and Harry pointed at Draco.

“Ask him.” Harry said and disappeared into the common room.

“Malfoy.” Ginny said amusedly.

“Weasley.” Draco said curtly in hello.

“What’s up, then?” Ginny asked, clapping her hands together.

“I need you to go and get Hermione, please.” Draco said.

“That’s it?” Ginny replied, raising both her eyebrows.

“Yea. So, can you go and get her? I don’t have forever on my hands.” Draco said, his voice expressing an impatient tone.

“Alright, cool your thestrels. I’ll be back in a minute.” Ginny said and went to get Hermione. A couple of minutes later Hermione appeared, tousle-haired, and still in her pajamas and slippers. Ginny came from behind and steered her towards Draco.

“G’morning, Drakey.” Hermione mumbled and fell forwards into Draco’s arms. Draco caught her and looked at Ginny questioningly.

“Oh. See, last night, four boggarts attacked the Girl’s Fifth
Year dormitory.” Ginny said, nodding.

“And? What’s it got to do with Hermione?” Draco asked.

“Well, we couldn’t exactly fight them…four’s kind of a lot, and when each boggart turns into a girl’s greatest fear…it raises the bar. So I had to go and get Hermione who eventually got rid of them, but the boggarts had turned into failed essay papers…”

“Mmmhmm.”

“And after Hermione got rid of them she rewrote all four essays. It took her until about two hours ago to finish them all. Which explains the…uhh…” Ginny said pointedly.

“Ah.” Draco said and began to straighten the exhausted Hermione in front of him.

“Well, I’ve got to go and finish wrapping some gifts…” Ginny said and began to leave.

“Thank you, Weasl”I mean, thank you, Ginny.” Draco said, smiling.

“No problem. So, you have changed for the better, eh?” Ginny asked, smiling. Draco shrugged. Ginny gave him a last smile and shut the portrait. Hermione gave a loud snort and Draco jumped in surprise; he grabbed her shoulders and shook her gently.

“Hermione?” Draco called.

“Eleven over ninety-three times the mass of the sun and the weight of the moon minus the momentum of the comet Atticus added by the age of the Earth and the circumference of Mars times pi equals”“ Hermione mumbled.

“Hermione!” Draco yelled. Hermione’s eyes shot open and she frantically looked around her until her eyes finally rested on Draco.

“Draco?” Hermione asked in confusion, her hands grasping Draco’s arms for support, “What are you doing here?”

“I just wanted to see how you were.” Draco replied. Hermione smiled through her exhaustion and took his face in her hands.

“You’re so adorable…” Hermione said, and kissed him lightly on his lips. Then, she fell upon his body, causing Draco to take a wide step backwards. Slowly he straightened himself into standing position, steadied himself, and picked Hermione up so that she lay in his arms. Hermione was surprisingly light, and even though she was so exhausted, she smiled and put her arms around Draco’s neck and laid her head on his shoulder to make herself more comfortable. It was an action that Draco found comforting and rather attractive. Draco gently carried Hermione down the many flights of stairs, through the hallways and into the open doors of the Great Hall.

The scent of a holiday feast slyly circled his head and Draco felt more awake. Draco carried Hermione over and set her down gently at the Gryffindor table. Hermione opened her eyes and yawned.

“Hungry?” Draco asked, handing her an apple. Hermione took it graciously and chewed on it. After a moment she stood up and stretched.

“I’m going to go and change, alright?” Hermione said and turned around.

“Wait,” Draco said and put his hand on her shoulder.

“Yes?” Hermione asked.

“Do you have your wand?”

“Yes. And no you can’t come with me, and yes I can take care of myself.” And with that, Hermione left the Great hall. Draco smiled and then got up and followed Hermione out. Turning a corner he saw Hermione at the foot of the steps leading up to the Portrait. and silently sped in that direction. She was almost to the Portrait when he crept up behind her and slid his arms around her waist. Hermione let out a sudden shriek and pulled her wand out of her pajama pocket. She squirmed out of his hold and turned around to face Draco.

“Relax! It just me.” Draco said laughing. Hermione looked dead surprised but she let out a petrified chuckle.

“Draco, I specifically said you couldn’t come with me.”

“I just want to hang around my girlfriend…” Draco said slyly, pulling her closer, “I just want to protect the one that I love.” Draco whispered, letting his hand stroke the side of her face. Hermione rested her arms on the bends of Draco’s elbows; her hands lay peacefully on the developing biceps of his arms.

“The one that you love? Just one?” Hermione asked, her voice barely a whisper. She drowned in his warmth and protection. Draco kissed her forehead.

“One. It’s not like I have anybody else.” Draco said kindly, “Now you can be sure that all my love is only for you, forever.”

“That’s a big burden.” Hermione said, laughing.

“If you don’t want me anymore, just say the word.” Draco said shrugging “Doesn’t mean that I’ll stop caring for you.”

“Don’t say stupid things like that.” Hermione said firmly.

“Okay.” Draco stated and kissed her cheek deeply.

“Now can I go and change?” Hermione asked with an air of a whiny seven year old.

“Yeah.” Draco nodded.

“Thanks. See you later.” Hermione said and giving him a quick hug, she walked away.

Draco stood staring after her. She probably would never know how much Draco loved her, but it was his job to let her see for herself. He hoped that Pansy wouldn’t do her in within the next ten minutes, but then again, Hermione was the smartest witch in their grade. With that thought in mind, Draco ran down the steps and to the Great Hall again to finish his breakfast.

Hermione walked the rest of the way to the Portrait in content and reached the portrait of The Fat Lady.

“Sugar Spun.” She said with a sigh. The Fat Lady shook her head.

“No? Oh, I’m sure that’s what it is. I’ve not been wrong yet. Are you sure that’s not it?” Hermione asked kindly, bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet.

“No, that’s the right password.” The Fat Lady said absently. Hermione raised an eyebrow.

“Then, why aren’t you letting me in?” she asked confusedly. The Fat Lady snorted and laughed dismissively.

“Traitor.” The Fat Lady hissed. Hermione raised her eyebrows in shock.

“Excuse me?” she asked disbelievingly.

“You heard me, you little betrayer.” The Fat Lady retorted, and launching an insulting spit wad that splattered against an invisible shield.

“What the devil do you mean by that?” Hermione yelled.

“Kissing, hugging, touching that son of a Death Eater, that Slytherin! You’re a perverse girl! I thought a girl smarter than the rest of the student body would learn who to kiss and who to curse!” The Fat Lady said, her voice sounding angry and betrayed.

“Just because I don’t follow the stereo-typical road that most of this anarchic school are following doesn’t mean I don’t have the brains to see the truth behind a person’s eyes! Just because I don’t possess the personality that you have doesn’t mean I’m a dumb person. It doesn’t matter what house you’re placed in as long as you can learn to tell the difference between impurity and purity, between love and hate, between good and bad!” Hermione cried, slamming her fist against her hand as she ticked off each point. The Fat Lady, however, sat staring with her mouth slightly open and her eyebrows raised.

“What?” Hermione spat.

“Good Morning, Headmaster.” The Fat Lady said sweetly, coming to her senses. Hermione’s eyes widened considerably and she gulped. She slowly turned around to look at the twinkling eyes of Albus Dumbledore.

“Good Morning.” Dumbledore said absently to the Fat Lady.

“I”I can explain”” Hermione began frantically, but Dumbledore frowned and waved his hand.

“No, there’s no need. I heard every word and can understand English as well as the next Headmaster.” Dumbledore said smiling, he put his hands behind his back and walked around Hermione to face The Fat Lady, “What I do not understand is why one of my own staff is showing an unfair act of accusation. Can you tell me why this is?” Dumbledore asked, his eyes boring into those of The Fat Lady’s.

“W”Well, if y”you heard every word then you must’ve seen Granger and the Malfoy boy kissing?” she said uncertainly.

“What I saw, was a truthful act of love,” then he looked down at Hermione, “I was not being intrusive, I was merely passing by, if you’ll pardon me, Miss Granger.” He said apologetically and Hermione shook her head and smiled in forgiveness,
“Anyway, in my book at least, there is nothing wrong with love. Don’t you agree?” Dumbledore continued.

“Well, yes”but no! Draco Malfoy is the son of a Death Eater! They caused more trouble than my heart could manage! Burning pictures of our heroes! And that girl! Falling in love with the known enemy of our own school hero! Harry Potter! I promised I wouldn’t get involved, but oh, my poor heart couldn’t take the shame.” The Fat Lady simpered, putting a hand across her painted forehead.

“I wonder, how many times I have to say this. Do not meddle in the student’s business; do not display an act of ignorance and or bias. Respect the students and in turn they will respect you. What do you have to say to this young lady?” Dumbledore said, placing a gentle hand on Hermione’s back.

“Sorry.” The Fat Lady said and with a loud “Hmmph!” she swung open.

“Thank you, Professor.” Hermione said graciously. Dumbledore winked and smiled walking away humming to a tune unknown.

Hermione walked inside ignoring the Fat Lady and went upstairs to her Dormitory. She said hello to anyone who was there and gathering some clothes, slipped into the bathroom to shower. Twenty minutes later she came out, refreshed and changed. Hermione threw her cloak around her and got out her wand. She waved her wand at certain oddities laying about her bed and said

“Wingardium Leviosa!” The objects lifted up into the air and with another wave of Hermione’s wand, they flew back into their places. Hermione smiled and hummed her way out of the Dormitory. She was heading out of the Portrait hole when Ron and Harry blocked her way.

“Excuse me, guys.” Hermione said and made to push through them. Unfortunately, two men seem to be much more physically stronger than one woman, and with two firm hands they grabbed her arms and dragged her backward away from the exit and dropped her on a red armchair.

“What was that for?” Hermione asked, annoyed at this unexpected act of resistance.

“It was for your own good, Granger.” Harry said, slapping Hermione on the knee with one hand as he pulled up a chair to sit on with the other.

“Uh-oh.” Hermione muttered. They had called her by her last name and whenever that happened, it wasn’t a good sign.

“Yeah.” Ron said, nodding fervently.

“What’s this all about?” Hermione asked, sighing and folding her arms across her chest.

“This is about the ever increasing time you spend with Draco and the ever shrinking time you spend with us.” Harry explained.

“You know…I have to be some place.” Hermione said hurriedly and tried to get up but instead got pushed back down.

“Do you hear that, Harry? It’s like she doesn’t even know us anymore.” Ron said, shaking his head.

“Yeah, and it’s only me and Ron now. The name ‘Hermione’ will soon be diminished from our vocabulary if you don’t start hanging out with us.” Harry said with his eyebrows slightly raised. Hermione cocked her head.

“Is that a threat?” she asked.

“No, it’s the result. The most that Harry ever talks about is Luna this and Luna that and how much he’s going to make Snape suffer for taking points off just for spelling ‘Gillius’ wrong. I can’t take it anymore!” Ron explained.

“Yeah!” Harry said and then took a double take at Ron and furrowed his eyebrows, his cheeks going slightly red, “what?”

“Nothing.” Ron said, shaking his head and smiling. Harry pushed the remark to the back of his head.

“And the only time Ron mentions you is when he asks where you are and if I’ve seen you and what he’s going to do to Draco if he hurts you, and that’s like every, what, ten seconds? It’s not like you don’t know how to wave a wand and say a bloody curse, is it?” Harry said, throwing laughable looks at Ron.

“Shut-up, Harry.” Ron said, his ears going a violent red.

“What would you like me to do? Break up with Draco?” Hermione asked.

“Yes.” Ron said automatically, nodding.

“No. No, don’t do that. Just hang out with us more, all right? We miss you and we’re not afraid to admit it.” Harry said, smiling guiltily.

“Yeah, I miss you too. More than you know.” Ron said, and
when Hermione looked at him with an eyebrow raised, he blushed. “I mean with out you, it’s just scarhead and the weasel. Where’s the fun in that, you know?” Ron said hurriedly.

“Yeah, where’s the fun when the know-it-all isn’t there to keep you two in order.” Hermione agreed and they all laughed.

“So, does that mean you’ll spend more time with us?” Harry asked, smiling.

“How about I split the vacation time between you guys and Draco?” Hermione said suggestively, “Because I can’t just not spend any time with my boyfriend.”

“How about you spend it fifty-fifty? You know, half the vacation with us and half the vacation with Malfoy.” Ron said suggestively.

“It would probably be like sixty percent with you guys and forty percent with Draco because seeing as all of us are in Gryffindor and I get to see you as often as I want.” Hermione replied.

“Or zero percent with Malfoy and one hundred percent with us if Malfoy gets shipped off to his Mum…” Ron said in an undertone.

“Ron.” Hermione said warningly.

“Okay, okay.” Ron said, putting up his hands in surrender.

“How about this. You spend all the time you can afford with us, and the rest you can spend with Draco.” Harry said.

“That sounds good to me.” Hermione said, nodding “Ron, what do you think?” she asked, pleading voicelessly with Ron.

“How about we kill Draco and you can spend all of your time with us?” Ron asked hopefully. Hermione threw a pillow at Ron’s head.

“No.” she said firmly.

“Okay, fine. I agree to Harry’s plan.” Ron said, and was attacked by an overjoyed Hermione who had thrown her arms around Ron’s neck, who blushed a plum red.
Hermione let go of Ron gave a Harry a hug.

“Thank you so much, you guys.” Hermione said appreciatively.

“What are friends for?” Harry asked.


Compromise.
Of Nightmares and Bumblebees by pheonixhobbit
Something was wrong. The sun was black, the clouds were blacker, and the sky was a sheer gray. The Forbidden Forrest was wiped out and in it’s place, a leviathan pit. A shriek…a terrible shriek emitted from its depths and then, pure silence. Draco’s heart thumped, and he began to run towards the pit, his speed to match his terrible fear of what he might see in the depths of the hole. As he neared its edge he pulled out his wand and as he opened his mouth to say a spell, his wand crumbled in his hand and floated away in ashes on a sudden, cold breeze. His mind and body numb with disbelief, terror, and anger, he watched as the earth surrounding the hole began to fall within; the pit was filling back up again. Draco could not move, his eyes would not close, and his mouth and tongue were not able to form one word. Draco’s stomach plummeted when a ruby and emerald rose pushed its way to the new surface of the hole and lay there innocently until it blackened and shattered into oblivion.

Draco awoke with a great, sharp gasp. His breathing coming fast and heavy, the air seemed to slice at his lungs and he shivered in a cold sweat. His gray sleeping shirt now black with sweat was sticking against the rapid rising and falling of his chest, hugging the slightly prominent separations between his biceps. Draco pushed the small amount of blanket off of his legs and sat at the edge of the bed with his feet on the floor. The floor felt like ice against the heel and balls of his feet. The whole room seemed to be a freezing void if it not were for the barely visible outlines of the sleeping Slytherins. Draco stood slowly and immediately his head began to ache. Tending to this with a mere hand on his head he walked shakily to the water pitcher at the window sill, his heart still thumping madly from what he had just awoken from. Draco poured himself a glass of water with a shaking hand, spilling half the jug on the sill. Suddenly he was possessed with the crazy urge to run up to Gryffindor Tower to check if Hermione was sleeping soundly in her bedroom. But it was quickly overshadowed by the realization that it was just a dream

‘Just a dream.” Draco murmured as he put the glass to his lips and drank slowly. Draco then pulled off the wet shirt and tossing it on to the floor carelessly, he returned to his bed. Lying flat on his back, the scream he had heard in the dream began to repeat itself in his mind, the terror began rising from his chest again and came out from his mouth in one small word.

“Hermione.”

He did not know why he said her name. She was like his shield against his fears; he found such a comfort in her that he could not find in anything else in his life. Hermione was his home, his sanctuary. Draco loved her far beyond anything he knew, his heart beat now only for the hope he would see her, touch her, be with her, and protect her. As Draco lay against the mattress, anger began to fill him, over powering the fear. He would not allow Hermione to be hurt, he would kill Pansy if she tried, if she dared, if she even touched Hermione, he would kill her. The anger and fear combined as one and began to swell in his chest. The emotion was so great that he jumped out of bed once more with the hopes of finding some relief outside of the dormitory.

Crossing the room, he swung the bedroom door open with such a great force that the top hinge of the door broke free. The door now hung creakingly on one hinge, and Draco stood stock still, staring at the person who was chuckling nastily in a dark green armchair next to the fire.

“Sleep walking, Draco?” Pansy asked, her eyes glittering maliciously, the light from the flames making her seem more devilish than usual. Draco choked back his anger with great difficulty and stared at her with vehemence. Draco then allowed a strained, cruel smile to pass his features.

“I heard you in your sleep. Tossing and turning, murmuring her name. I was under the impression that we weren’t allowed visitors of the other gender in the dead of night.” Pansy said challengingly, her eyes swept Draco’s bare torso, lingering almost longingly at the hard muscles of his abdomen and chest.

“You’re pathetic,” Draco hissed with hatred he did not know he could possess “You’ll amount to nothing. You’ll never take Hermione away from me.”

“Or you’ll kill me, right?” Pansy said, her voice bathed in cruel laughter and mockery, “Draco, your empty threats are boring me. We both know you aren’t capable of murder.”

The anger rising in him stretched to a breaking point and it was with the utter knowledge of the right thing to do that he recovered control.

“We will see.” Draco finally said, and turned to go back into the dormitory. However, during the small conversation between Pansy and himself he had not noticed the light of the bedroom turn on and was met with questioning gazes and angry glares from his roommates.

“Go back to sleep.” Draco muttered and a boy turned the lights off. Walking to his table Draco picked up his wand and whispered the repairing charm at the door, and shut it with another wave of his wand.

As he sat on his bed he heard Pansy chuckle nastily once more and could not lie down. This time, it wasn’t anger that was preventing him from sleeping; it was fear. Then, a terrible thought came to him. What if he could not save Hermione? What if he had been what people always had thought of him? A great coward protected by stronger comrades? The thought was poison, infecting every particle of his mind, a contagion that infested every positive thought.

Everything Pansy had said seemed to not want to leave him. He could, and definitely would kill Pansy, and if he couldn’t kill her, he would make her suffer. Draco knew something was amiss; there was still something he could not grasp. Draco did not know what Pansy was capable of; and it was because of this, he was afraid. Amidst the movements of his roommates turning on their sides, or to lie flat on their back or stomachs, Draco sat still with fear, confusion, and the shame of what he had brought down with his love for Hermione Granger.

Hermione was allowed the day with Draco since Harry and Ron had made plans to meet people in other places. Hermione met Draco by the frozen lake after they had lunch and had freshened up for the evening dinner. She crept up behind the silhouette of Draco against the bright afternoon sun and wrapped her arms around his waist. Draco’s body tensed underneath her arms and he breathed in and out deeply, enjoying the familiar warmth and comfort Hermione’s body blanketed him with.

Draco unwound her arms from his waist and swiveling gently around, he held her to his body like a sole lifeline.

“You look so tired.” Hermione said, her chin resting on his chest as she looked up at him.

“I’m alright.” Draco reassured her, rubbing her back.

“I hope so.” Hermione replied, and kissed the prickly edge of his chin, making Draco smile. He looked down at her lovingly.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” Draco asked.

“In this weather?” Hermione replied pointedly.

“It’s not that cold, is it?” Draco asked, he himself shivering slightly. Hermione, raising an eyebrow, pulled out her wand and placed the tip on the shoulder of Draco’s jacket.

“Radiatum” She whispered, and after doing the same to hers’, she slipped the wand back in her pocket. Draco smiled appreciatively as a gentle, warm breeze coursed through his body, making the frigid weather bearable enough to walk around in.

After kissing her deeply on her lips, he led her away from the lake and to the soft, snow-covered, brightly lit grounds that surrounded Hogwarts Castle.

“Do you know the phrase ‘the bumblebee flies anyway’?” Hermione suddenly asked, kicking some snow into the air.

“No, actually, I haven’t heard it until now.” Draco mused.

“Okay, how much do you know about the bumblebee?”

“Err…well, they’re black and yellow and they make honey. Oh yes, and they fly around and bug the hell out of people.” Draco replied, still amused at this random question.

“Did you know that they aren’t supposed to fly?” Hermione asked.

“They’re not?” Draco asked.

“No.” Hermione replied.

“Why are they not supposed to fly?” asked Draco.

“Well, Muggle researchers say they aren’t aerodynamically stable enough to fly. Its wings are too small and its body is too big. Such small wings shouldn’t be able to support such a huge body.”

“But…the bumblebee flies anyway…” Draco said, realization dawning on him.

“Yes. It is unbound by what society says about it. It is completely and totally free because it goes beyond its own limits and doesn’t feel bad about it,” said Hermione, and then looking him straight in the eye, said, “It doesn’t care what other people think.”

Draco thought about this for a moment and then realized what she was trying to say.

“We’re like the bumblebees, aren’t we, Hermione?” he asked.
Hermione looked into his eyes lovingly and then nodded softly. Draco smiled and pulled her into a warm hug.

As he held her, he remembered the nightmare he had had over the night. Draco remembered Pansy, remembered her words, and silently wished more than ever that he could trust himself to save Hermione’s life.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=8925