Sacrifices and Gifts by Lara Dennis
Summary: He had always thought of her and his, until he realized she had always belonged to another. Now, he will make the ultimate sacrifice for them.
Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1610 Read: 1544 Published: 11/07/04 Updated: 11/07/04

1. Only Chapter by Lara Dennis

Only Chapter by Lara Dennis
Disclaimer: As much as I wish I was JK Rowling, I am merely an obsessed 15 year old girl with too many ideas swimming around my head. Hey Jo? If you ever get sick of owning Harry Potter I would be more than happy to take it off your hands!

A/N: There has been some confusion with this story before, but just keep with it, it explains itself later on. Thank you for reading!
***
I don’t understand why it was you, why it had always been you. There wasn’t something specific, was not an instant attraction. There were the little things. Like how you always made sure you were on time to class, no matter how quickly you had to sprint through the corridors. Or how you made sure everyone else got the food that they wanted from the table at meals before you got your own. Unless it was pumpkin pie, it is your favorite. You would always make sure you got a nice big piece, and you always saved one for him. It was his favorite too. It was even how, no matter how busy you were studying, you would always lend a helping hand to the whole of Gryffindor tower, whether it be me, him, Colin, Ginny, Neville, or the countless first years. It was how you knew the name of every first year, every second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and of course, our own, seventh year students from Gryffindor. Every single one. You said you wanted them all to feel welcome and to know that you cared. It was how that even when you weren’t trying, you were changing the world. You were making a difference, from house elves to fighting Voldemort. Every thing that you did was done well, except perhaps knitting. But you tried. And no one tries like you do.

It’s because no one is like you. You are so indescribably different. At first, this bothered me. But now, I have come to love it more than I ever thought I could. That is why this is so hard. I cannot even believe I am doing this. My heart aches to think about it, but I know I must. It is clear you are happy with him. You love him. Not me. You never will love me like that. And in truth, I could never love you like he does, because I notice the things you do, where as he notices the things you don’t. He’s told me before, the things he notices. Like when you are worried you won’t bother him about playing chess instead of doing homework. How when you are tired you don’t hum on the way up the stairs to the dormitory. How why you aren’t happy you don’t smile the same way. How he knows that is beyond me: you are always happy when he is around. No one will ever understand each other quite the way that you two do. You can talk without saying a word. You can write volumes with your eyes. You could fight any evil with the love between you alone. Love that you will never have for me.

But I am not mad. I admit I was. It was hard. I thought that every one knew how I felt. But clearly he didn’t. I can’t be upset about that, everyone knows what an emotionally challenged young man he is. I didn’t make the first move, he did. That is my fault. I should have acted sooner. You see, I was just so afraid. So afraid that you wouldn’t like me back, that you would laugh in my face. You would never do that, but hormones make a person irrational sometimes. But even if I had, would it have made a difference? I doubt it. Your heart has always belonged to him. It always will be. I think I always knew it, but I keep denying it. What good it did, I am not sure. But I know that you two really do belong to each other. Soul mates, as they call them. And that, that is why I am not mad. I wanted love. True love that I would never find again. But you found yours. Who was I to take that away from you? Some say I’ve matured, and maybe I have. I just think of it as learning to realize the truth. The truth is something is sick and wrong in the world if you two are not together.

I do know that no matter what happens in the war, you will be the only one for him. In his eyes, you are the only reason to keep fighting. Do not take that away from him, I beg of you. You may be upset by what I do, but do not leave him. I am doing this for the two of you. Without him, we cannot survive. Without you, he cannot survive. I am merely doing my part, as we all have to do. It is not your fault. It never has been. This decision was mine. And I do not think that anyone should try to but blame on what will happen. Not to sound pompous, but I am doing this to be noble, brave, and for once, not to be selfish. I want you two to be so happy. I really do. You will go through so many tough times in the future, and hopefully what I am calling my gift to you will ease the troubled waters. That is what this is Hermione, a gift. Consider it a lifetime of birthday, Christmas, and of course, yours and Harry’s wedding presents. I love you two so much it hurts. This is they only way I can think to show how much you both mean to me.

I am sacrificing myself to Voldemort. I can bet you are crying right now, and I must beg you to stop. I hate it when you cry. Hermione, I have to do this. You might not understand, but I will try to explain. And before you get upset, Harry did not want to have to tell you. He was trying to protect you. Voldemort gave Harry a week to make a decision. Either Harry turns a friend into Voldemort to be killed, or Harry will be taken and killed. We cannot lose Harry. He is the only one who can destroy the evil that threatens to destroy everything good in our world. But we both know him. He will not sacrifice one of us. So I am making the decision. I already have contacted Voldemort through Draco Malfoy, I will be taken to him via portkey in about a half and hour. Do not try to stop me. Please. He will only kill you too. Remember, this is for you. This is for our world. This is for Harry, who has been the best friend I could ever have.

Don’t think I really want to do this. I want to help, but I shudder at the thought of death. I wonder, will he do it quickly? A quick Avada Kedavra and it’s over? Or will it be long and drawn out? I don’t want to hurt… Oh Hermione, I’m so sorry, I know I just made you cry again… I can’t help but be afraid, I am only seventeen… But war knows no age, and if I do not do this, there will be no future for the wizarding world. I really must go now, my Hermione. I have left a note for Harry telling him how to follow the portkey so he can find Voldemort and destroy him. You will be in peace. Please, please don’t follow. He cannot lose you, my sacrifice cannot be in vain. You mean so much to me, I love you Hermione, I love you so I must let go. Do not forget me… and do me one favor? Can you make “Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turn this stupid, fat rat yellow” a real spell? And then make sure Fred and George know? That will give everyone a good laugh, and you can remember me as the boy who knew a spell on the train to Hogwarts, not the boy who was eating frogs with Harry Potter.

I love you, Hermione. More than you will ever know. So now, I must say goodbye.
Ron Weasley

Tears flowed freely down her face, her body shook, tremors racking her body. As she stared into the fire, the flames blurred from her tears, she heard someone enter the common room. She turned to see Dumbledore with tears in his eyes, yet the smallest of smiles on his face.
“It is over. It is finally over.”
Harry limped into the room, bloody, bruised, and face stained with tears. He sat next to Hermione on the couch, and they clung to each other. They became one mass of agony, shuddering with tears. He was gone. It was over. But Ron was gone too. In both of their hearts, it felt as if Voldemort had won. He had destroyed a part of them with a wound that would never heal.

***
Well, I hope you liked this little one shot of mine. It popped into my head at about 9:30pm and was done by 10:35. If you absolutely hated it, please use constructive criticism, don’t flame me! All reviews are appreciated; I have no motivation if I think no one is reading my stuff! Thanks!
Lara
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=895