The Last Straw by Radcliffefan07
Summary: A disgrace. That's what his mother called him. He'd denounced the pure blood life style, and lost his temper with his father for the final time. This was it. The last straw.

This is the story of the night Sirius Black left home for good and moved in with the Potter's. Enjoy!
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1937 Read: 2305 Published: 09/19/11 Updated: 09/27/11
Story Notes:
This one shot was supposed to be a drabble for week two of Marauder Class over on the beta boards. It seems my drabbles regularly turn into one shots... Oops...

I'd like to say thank you to Professor Terri (mudbloodproud), for assigning the drabble that inspired this one shot, and for helping me learn to write the Marauders, fairly well. Or at least I hope so. So, thank you, Terri.

1. The Last Straw by Radcliffefan07

The Last Straw by Radcliffefan07
“You are a disgrace, Sirius!” shouted Walburga Black across the room as she heaved a large heavy vase at her oldest son. “Blood traitors and half-breeds! And you call that company!” she shouted some more as she threw a book in his general direction.

Sirius ducked the projectiles aimed at his head and continued throwing things into his trunk. His father had previously thrown it down all three flights of stairs before taking a swing at his oldest son. Orion could be a nasty piece of work, and his son insulting the family blood line seemed to bring out less than the best in him. Sirius was sporting an excellent black eye that his friends would no doubt be no less than proud of, that is, until they heard about how he received it.

Shouting back seemed ever pointless. Sirius knew his parents would never understand, and never support his decision to be his own person. The moment he was sorted into Gryffindor, the family started to treat him differently. He’d finally had enough. He’d told his father minutes earlier that he could take his pure blood and shove it straight up his arse; which, much to Sirius’ delight, had resulted in his black eye.

His mother continued to shout at him telling him how pathetic he was and what a disgrace he was. He didn’t snap until she shouted, “How dare you speak to your father like that?”

He rounded on her, and crossed the room in three bold strides. He stood nearly nose to nose with her and began shouting mercilessly back. “How dare I talk to him like that?” he fumed with malice in his voice, “How dare he do this to his SON!” He pointed at his black eye and continued. “You call yourself a family. This isn’t how family is supposed to behave. Family is supposed to take care of each other. They’re supposed to love each other, and care for each other, no matter what. I have a family and it sure as bloody hell isn’t you pathetic excuses for human beings!”

He turned on his heel and resumed packing, the only trace of emotion upon his face was his fiercely set jaw, and fire filled eyes. If you didn’t know Sirius inside and out, which only three people did, you would never have guessed that he was torn up inside.

~*~


In Godric’s Hollow, James paced his bedroom anxiously. He had spoken to Sirius last night, via floo powder, unbeknownst to either of their parents. He knew what was probably unfolding over on Grimmauld Place, but so far, he’d been afraid to keep his end of the bargain. He knew he was running out of time, and he also knew that his parents loved Sirius to death, so he couldn’t explain the fear pulsing through him at the thought of telling his parents that in a few hours, Sirius would be a permanent house guest.

He sighed, and opened his bedroom door. Cautiously walking down the stairs he called out, “Mum? Dad?”

“Yes, dear?” his mother called from the quaint kitchen. He entered the room to find his parents sharing tea. He sat down opposite of his father, next to his mother and cleared his throat. He’d never told them something was going to happen rather than asking for it, not that his parents had ever said no anyway. But still, he couldn’t explain his nerves.

“Is there something you want to talk about, son?” his father asked, a knowing look on his face.

“Remember when I”“ James started.

“Go on, dear, what is it,” his mother persuaded.

James wrung his hands together and cracked his knuckles. Then taking a steadying breath, looked up at his father. “Do you remember when I told you how rough Sirius had it at home?”

“Yes, son, and you know we feel horrible about it. We’ve told you over and over that he’s welcome here any time.”

“What about permanently?” James said quietly staring again at the oak table top.

“What exactly do you mean, dear?” his mother prompted.

“He... Sirius... He’s been fighting more and more with his parents. His father hits him, mum. I can’t stand the thought of it any longer. I sort of already told him that... well...”

“That he could come and live with us?” his father asked, his eyes soft.

James nodded, and hoped with all his being that this wouldn’t be the first time his parents lost their temper with him. It had never happened before, but the nervousness he was feeling, was finally explained. He’d never cared about anything like he’d cared about this, and that was why he was so afraid that this would be the first time they ever uttered the word no to a request he made of them. Except this time he hadn’t asked.

“When is he coming then?” his mother said smiling slightly. “You know we’ve been expecting this for ages, and we’re proud of you for wanting to get your friend out of a bad situation. I do wish that you’d come to us sooner, and that we could have talked it over, but you know that Sirius is always welcome here. Always.”

James smiled as his father patted his shoulder. “You know Sirius has always been like a second son to us, James, and we love him as such. I have half a mind to report them for the way they’ve been treating him.”

“He doesn’t want that, Dad. He just wants out of there. He’s always called this home. He just wants to come home,” James said quietly almost to himself.

“You never did answer me, James,” his mother said, “when is the dear boy coming?”

“Tonight,” he said standing up, “Oh, and mum, dad,” he added smiling, “Thank you.”

~*~


Sirius threw the last of his most important things into his trunk. He hadn’t had time to pack everything. After the sucker punch from his father, he wanted nothing more than to get out of this hell hole called a house as fast as his feet could carry him. He looked over his shoulder just in time to see his father approaching him again. His mother had shouted herself hoarse, and it seems they had tagged off again. Orion had a far too menacing look on his face for this to be a heartfelt goodbye, and Sirius didn’t think twice before drawing his wand on his father.

“You stay away from me,” he shouted furiously, pointing his want squarely at his father’s chest. Orion looked surprised, and hesitated with his approach. “I swear, if you take one more step I’ll hex you to hell and back. I’m done with you and your bigoted family. And if you even try to lay a hand on me, I’ll””

Sirius didn’t get the chance to finish his sentence. Orion drew his wand swiftly and with a cold look in his eyes, pointed it at his son.

“Stupefy!” shouted Sirius, and his father fell, hard onto the cold marble floor. Sirius wasted no time; he grabbed a fist full of floo powder and threw it into the roaring fire behind him. “The Potter Residence, Godric’s Hollow,” he said clearly and shoved his trunk into the emerald flames. His mother had heard the commotion and came thundering down the stairs, wand drawn.

“What have you done?” she screeched, her tone deafening.

He looked coldly at her, the flames still blazing emerald behind him. He held his wand firmly in front of him, defensively. “You take one more step toward me, and you’ll get exactly what he got. I’m not taking your abuse or your bigotry anymore. I’m done. I’m leaving.”

And without giving her a chance to answer, he stepped backwards into the flames. He still wasn’t used to the strange spinning sensation, and he coughed as he inhaled hot ashes. It had been awhile since he had travelled by floo to the Potter’s, and he wasn’t prepared when he reached the familiar grate. He fell out of their kitchen fire place, atop his trunk and cursed loudly.

Hearing the noise, the entire Potter family rushed to the kitchen. Sirius had barely managed to get to his feet by the time they’d entered the room, and was brushing the soot from his jumper, and cursing his sore knee. His rather abrupt landing had torn his jeans, and he’d cut it open rather severely. James rushed to his best friend’s side, and helped him into the nearest kitchen chair.

“Bloody hell, Sirius, what happened?” James asked concernedly, looking from Sirius’ bleeding leg to his black eye and back again.

“The trunk got me on my way out of the floo,” he said loud enough for all the Potters to hear, and quietly to James. “The black eye was Dad’s work though.”

Mrs Potter hurried over and mended his bleeding leg. She gingerly touched his face and said, glancing at her husband, “That bruise didn’t get that severe in the moments it took us to get down here dear, so don’t be noble on our account.”

Mr Potter nodded and sat down across from Sirius. He spoke gently. “Tell us what happened, son. We’ll talk about it over a spot of tea. Don’t be afraid, we won’t think less of you for anything you tell us.”

Sirius spent the next hour, recounting the horror story that had happened in his house that afternoon. From the fight with his father, to the floo incident where he’d tripped over his trunk. Which he assured Mrs Potter was the real reason for the cut on his leg, and that he wasn’t being noble on her account. Sufficiently pleased to have the whole story, and to know that both boys had been fed they patted Sirius on the shoulder as they stood to leave the room, and said together, “Welcome home, son.”

James and Sirius smiled at each other. Sirius was finally free of the hell he used to call home, and James was relieved that he would no longer have to worry about his best mate’s well being during the holidays anymore. They carried his trunk upstairs to James’s large bedroom. James sat down on his bed, and waving at the other one that had been brought in from the spare room, he said, “You can just put your trunk at the foot of the bed.”

Sirius smiled as he sat down on the bed opposite the room from his best friend. He glanced around at the place so familiar, yet so foreign. He’d never felt so loved in his sixteen years in the place he used to call home. Yet in a mere hour he felt truly part of a family. He fell back onto the bed, and groaned.

“What’s the matter?” James inquired from the other side of the room.

“I still have to unpack,” Sirius groaned again flopping back onto the bed again.

“Don’t worry about it, we’ll do it in the morning,” James said brightly, “remember, you live here now, so you have all the time in the world.”

“Can we at least wait til after breakfast?” Sirius said a smile playing at the corner of his mouth.

“Of course, mate, and by the way, welcome home.”
End Notes:
Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. And I do love reviews, so don't be afraid to leave one. I don't bite. =)

-Ash

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=90152