Albus Potter and the Phantom's Ring by FwooperFeathers
Summary: Albus Severus Potter, the exact replica of his famous father and expected to be just as successful. As Albus enters his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, these expectations are put to the test when Albus's year starts off with a bang and grows continually more complicated until Albus has no other choice but to deal with it. With the help of his friends, Albus strives to live up to the name of Potter--and prove that his heritage has nothing to do with who he is.

UPDATE: ON HIATUS UNTIL JUNE 8th, 2012
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 3771 Read: 3828 Published: 10/25/11 Updated: 12/29/11
Story Notes:
First ever fanfic, hope that you enjoy!

1. Chapter One: The Sorting by FwooperFeathers

2. Chapter Two: Classes by FwooperFeathers

Chapter One: The Sorting by FwooperFeathers
Author's Notes:
This story is dedicated to Gaby, one of my bestest friends on the face of the world, wizarding or otherwise. Sadly, none of this belongs to me EXCEPT for a few of my OCs. Any relation to other fanfics on a similar topic is completely coincidental, though there are some similarities--sorry for the confusion.
Chapter One: The Sorting

Albus Potter stepped off of the scarlet Hogwarts Express and breathed in the crisp, chill air. He was finally here. He grinned broadly as he surveyed the scene before him; Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"Oi, you! Get a move on! Mush!"

Albus turned around, confused. Behind him was a scowling girl with light brown hair and greenish-hazel eyes. Someone's aiming for Slytherin, Albus thought sourly.

Rose Weasley, a girl with curly red hair peeked out from behind the scowling green-eyed one. "Al! You're holding us up!"

Albus quickly moved out of the way as a stream of students flooded past him, eager to be out of the cramped train corridor. Rose stepped away from the crowd to stand by her cousin, dusting off her robes.

"Maniacs," she snorted, rolling her eyes.

"You're telling me," Albus said gripping the handle of his suitcase. They began to follow the crowd.

"Firs' years! Firs' years!" called a familiar voice. An extremely tall man with a tangled gray beard and dark eyes was standing by a small fleet of rowboats--which, Albus noticed, had no oars--that were bobbing on the waters of a giant lake.

"Hagrid!" Rose embraced the tall man. Albus smiled at Hagrid, who winked.

"Nice to see yeh, Al, Rose," he said. "Go on ahead 'n get in a boat."

The cousins obeyed, waving to Hagrid as they left. "I'm so excited," Rose whispered, her blue eyes shining.

"Yeah," said Albus. "Me too...you look nervous."

"Very."

"Don't worry," said Albus, remembering something that his father had told him a few hours previously. "All you have to do is truly want to be in Gryffindor. You'll do fine!"

"What's this about Gryffindor?" asked a boy's voice as Charlie Longbottom plopped down next to Albus.

"We're talking about the Sorting," said Rose. "Where do you reckon you'll end up?"

"Gryffindor. Although my mum says that the Hufflepuff common room is amazing."

"Who cares?" snorted Albus. "So are all the common rooms!"

Charlie laughed. "True!"

For a few minutes they continued to talk about the pros and cons of certain houses, weighing out the goods and the bads and pointing out the benefits of each one until they were interrupted.

"Do you lot mind if Rowan here sits with yeh?" asked Hagrid, who was gripping the green eyed girl's shoulder.

"Sure," said Rose, who, to Albus's horror, patted the seat next to her. "We have room for one more."

"Thanks Rose," said Hagrid, who beamed at her before giving the girl with green eyes a gentle shove towards the boat and walking off.

The girl slid into the seat next to Rose and across from Charlie. She looked at Albus. "You're the git who wouldn't move."

"Yep, that's me," said Albus. He decided that he did not like her much.

She nodded and turned to look across the lake. In the distance, the windows of Hogwarts spilled golden light across the grounds, an inviting sight.

After a few more minutes, Hagrid lectured the group on how to behave in the boats and they set off. It was a clear, starry night. Rose was talking about the constellations with the other girl, Rowan, while Charlie and Albus continued to talk about Houses.

"What is a Gryffindor?" asked Rowan suddenly, glaring at Albus. "And a Slytherin and Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw?"

Charlie stared at her blankly. "Huh?"

"What are those things everyone's going on about?"

"Houses," said Rose matter-of-factly. "You're Muggleborn, right?"

"You mean from a non-magical family?"

"Yes."

"Does that mean you're going to call me a Mudblood like that obnoxious blond kid did?"

"No. My mum was Muggleborn."

"Okay," said Rowan, her shoulders relaxing. "So what are Houses?"

"Hogwarts students are split up into four Houses: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Gryff--"
"Just don't end up in Slytherin, that's all you need to know," said Albus, cutting off his cousin.

***


"Athens, Steven!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

Albus's thoughts were whirling. What if he wasn't a Gryffindor? What if his father had been wrong and he ended up in Hufflepuff or Slytherin? What if that hat could not decide where to put him and Professor Longbottom, the deputy headmaster, told him that he did not have any magic after all?

"Boot, Jacqueline!"

"RAVENCLAW!"

Rose looked just as nervous and Charlie was a rather frightening shade of green. Rowan, however, looked excited-- like a child on Christmas, Albus thought.

"Bradens, Savannah!"

–HUFFLEPUFF!”

"Cragley, Thadon!"

"Slytherin!"

–Carillon, Elise!”

–GRYFFINDOR!”

"Finch-Fletchley, Carol!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

"Finnigan, Adam!"

"GRYFFINDOR!"

"Greenhill, Rowan!"

Albus watched as Rowan walked calmly up to the wobbly wooden stool that looked like it was about to collapse at any moment, sat down, and placed the ragged hat on her head. It was then that Albus realized that the hat was covered in ugly burn marks, and quite tattered to boot.

Albus turned his attention back to Rowan. It had been quite a while by now. But as he looked at her face, she seemed perfectly calm. Her eyes were closed, and there was a faint smile on her face, as if she knew a secret that no one else did. Which, Albus supposed, she did, as only she could hear what the hat was saying at the moment.
"GRYFFINDOR!" it proclaimed.
Rowan grinned at the applause coming from the Gryffindor table as she placed the hat back on the stool and ran to sit with her fellow House members.

Thorgin Goyle became a Slytherin. Pandora Jones became a Ravenclaw and Bevin Idles became a Hufflepuff. Charlie Longbottom a Gryffindor. His father clapped him on the back as he ran to sit next to Rowan.

Anna Simons and Fiona Smith became Ravenclaws.

"Malfoy, Scorpius!"

Albus snapped to attention as a blond boy confidently strutted up to the stool and placed the hat on his pale head. It slid over his eyes.
A minute passed with no word from the hat. Seconds ticked by. Next to Albus, a dark skinned boy checked his wristwatch.

Suddenly, the hat screamed out its decision. No one had expected it. "GRYFFINDOR!"

There was a collective gasp from the hall as Scorpius let out a cry of surprise. He took the hat off and jammed it back on his head is desperation, over and over. He looked as if he were about to cry. Professor Longbottom looked at a loss for words. A tall woman with iron-colored hair twisted into a tight knot walked over from the headmistress's seat and escorted Scorpius out of the double doors at the end of the hall. Albus stared after the odd pair, wondering how Scorpius Malfoy of all people had become a Gryffindor.

Ethan Madison became a Ravenclaw and Eric Moore became a Hufflepuff. Chloe Morrison became a Slytherin.

"Potter, Albus!"

To Albus's amazement, the hall erupted into cheers. Over at the Gryffindor table, a dark haired boy was shouting, "THAT'S MY BROTHER! THAT'S MY BROTHER!" Albus smiled and waved to James. Then, his legs like jelly, he wobbled up to the stool and placed the hat on his head.

"Oh, another Potter," whispered a voice. "Well, I know just where to put you...."

Albus held his breath. Gryffindor? he wondered.

"GRYFFINDOR!" the hat confirmed to the entire hall. Albus let out a whoop of joy. He placed the hat back on the stool amidst a cheer from the Gryffindor table. To the entire hall's amusement, James was doing a sort of jig on the table (he quickly sat back down after being given a withering look from Victoire Weasley, his cousin). Albus ran to sit by Charlie and Rowan as –Sarah, Bethat” became a Hufflepuff.

–THOMAS, JORDAN!”

–GRYFFINDOR!”


Albus's mind was swimming with happiness. Suddenly, however, he was distracted by Scorpius coming back into the room. The woman patted him on the back and went to sit back in the headmistress's seat while the young Malfoy shakily walked over and sat at the far end of the Gryffindor table. Albus craned his neck, trying to get a better look...


"WEASLEY, ROSE!"


Albus quickly turned his attention to his cousin. He need not have worried, however, for as soon as the hat brushed the top of his cousin's curly red hair it shouted "GRYFFINDOR!"


The Gryffindors cheered again, and barely anyone at that table noticed when "Thaddeus, Zabini" became a Slytherin.

As the chattering continued, Albus watched as Professor Longbottom carried the stool and hat out of the hall. He turned to Rose, who was beaming.

–Well, guess that your dad won’t be disinheriting us,” he told his cousin.

–Ditto,” Rose giggled.

They continued to chat with Charlie and Rowan for a while about the Sorting.

–I was almost put in Hufflepuff,” Charlie admitted. –I told it that I was fine either way as long as I wasn’t in Slytherin, and I guess that that might be what convinced it.” He shrugged, grinning.

–How about you, Rowan?” Rose asked politely.
Rowan opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off when the Headmistress stood. The hall quickly fell silent.

–Greetings, Hogwarts,” said the Headmistress. –I am Minerva McGonagall and I will be your Headmistress for this year. I would like to welcome all of our first years and welcome back all of the others.”

–Oh, yes,” Albus heard his cousin Fred, a third year, mutter. –Us nameless ones.”

Albus turned his attention away from Fred and continued listening. –Now, I understand that all or most of you are very excited to be here,” said McGonagall. –But there are rules.” Her gaze lingered on James Potter for a fraction of a second too long. –Firstly, the Forbidden Forest is, for obvious reasons, forbidden and violation will result in severe punishment.”

Albus did not listen much to the rest of the Headmistress’s speech, unlike Rose, who sat up straight and folded her hands in her lap. Albus was busy staring over at Scorpius Malfoy. A Malfoy, in Gryffindor!

–Al?” whispered Charlie. –You with us?”

Albus snapped himself out of his train of thought and noticed for the first time the food in front of him. His mouth began to water.

There was roast beef and turkey, chicken and pork. Plates of vegetables and mashed potatoes dotted the tables, and goblets of pumpkin juice appeared in front of everyone. Albus quirked an eyebrow, however, when he noticed, of all things, peppermint humbugs.

–Yeah, I am,” said Albus, and began to shovel potatoes onto his plate.

***


Albus sighed with contentment as he sank into bed that night. He was in Gryffindor, he was with his friends, and he had a full stomach--what more could he possibly want?

"G'night," whispered Charlie.

"Good night," Albus whispered back, and turned off the lamp on his bedside table.

As the darkness enveloped him, Albus sank into a deep and fretful sleep.
End Notes:
Chapter two coming soon! Reviews are appreciated! Thanks for reading! ~Julie:)


UPDATE! While reading over this, I found some hideously embaressing grammatical errors that needed fixing. I apologize.
Chapter Two: Classes by FwooperFeathers
Author's Notes:
Thanks to the mods for taking the time to go approve this and to my wonderful beta, Caroline.
Chapter Two: Classes

As Albus slept, he dreamed of stones. Thousands of round black stones, all lined up perfectly as far as the eye could see along the banks of a river, spreading out for about ten feet on either side. The river itself was a steely gray color and wound off into the distance. What was strange, thought Albus, was that the stones were speaking…whispering his name.

Albus saw something in the distance, gliding above the water. A dark, sinister shape, flying with alarming speed towards him….

–Albus.”

Albus groaned, fighting desperately to stay within the dream.

–Albus!”

Albus rolled over and clamped the pillow over his head.

–ALBUS SEVERUS POTTER!”

Immediately, Albus was awake. –What the bloody--Rose, what are you doing in the boy’s dormitories?”

–Finding you,” the redhead snapped. –You’ve overslept. Everyone else is in the Great Hall.”

Albus swore and whipped off the covers. He clambered out of bed and began to rummage through his trunk. Rose obediently turned away as her cousin dressed and pulled on shoes and socks.

Together, the cousins exited the dormitory and made their way to the Great Hall. Ignoring the stares from students as the two latecomers entered, Albus and Rose made their way to the Gryffindor table. Rose sat down next to Rowan and Albus slid in next to Charlie.

–Where’ve you been, Al?” asked Charlie, swallowing a large bite of scrambled egg.

–Overslept,” muttered Albus, spreading butter over his toast. He was aware of Rowan staring at him, and wished that he had thought to comb his hair (which was already a nightmare, sticking up everywhere at the best of times).

Rose began piling bacon onto her plate. –Have we gotten our schedules yet?”

–No,” said Rowan. –They haven’t been handed out yet.”

–They’re being handed out right now,” pointed out Charlie, gesturing towards his father.

Halfway down the table, Albus heard James make a noise of protest. –HISTORY OF MAGIC FIRST?”

–Calm down, mate!” said a boy next to him. –Extra time to sleep in.”

Albus smirked and turned back to his toast, taking a large bite and washing it down with a gulp of pumpkin juice. He was thankful that, in some small way, James was receiving a sort of punishment. Albus’s father had warned him how boring History of Magic was, and even advised his children to bring a pillow (earning him a playful slap from his wife).

–Here you are, Potter,” said Professor Longbottom, handing Albus a cream-colored piece of parchment emblazoned with the Hogwarts Crest and written in scarlet ink. Albus scanned the schedule, eager to see his classes.

–Transfiguration first,” announced Rose. –My mum says it’s great. You’ll really like it, Rowan.”

The Muggleborn smiled uncertainly, and pulled her wand out of her pocket to examine it. She muttered something under her breath and tucked it away again.

Albus suddenly felt a wave of panic. –My wand!” he cried. –I’ve left it in my dormitory--be right back!” he sped off towards the double doors at the end of the hall, sprinting up the stairs.

–Well,” said Rose. –Hopefully he’ll figure out that I grabbed it for him before he goes and makes an idiot of himself by being late.” She spun the wooden rod around between her fingers before tucking it in next to her own.

Charlie and Rowan exchanged glances and grinned.

***


Albus arrived at the portrait hole breathless, gasping for air. –Billywigs,” he panted.

–Hurry, dear,” said the Fat Lady in the portrait, glaring at him sternly. –You’ll be late.”

Albus nodded and slipped through the portrait hole. He started across the common room--and stopped dead in his tracks.

A pale, blond figure was standing in front of the stairwell to the boys’ dormitories, eyeing Albus uncertainly.

–Hello, Scorpius,” said Albus, noticing with a start who was blocking his path. –I’ll just squeeze by and--–

–Where are you going, Potter?” There was no contempt in the boy’s voice, only uncertainty.

–I forgot something.”

–Did you now?” Scorpius leaned back against the stair rail.

–Erm, yes,” said Albus, rushing past the Malfoy and into his dorm. He could not find his wand. He emptied the contents of his trunk onto his bed and began to frantically rummage through them. His wand was not there.

Panicking, Albus checked under his bed, inside his pillowcase, and in his wadded up pajamas on the floor. It wasn’t there. Groaning, Albus stood up and raked his hands through his already messy hair. With a strangled choking noise, he sat down on the floor. It was just his luck to lose his wand on his first day at Hogwarts.

–Well,” said a voice near the doorway. –You’re not happy, are you?”

Albus looked up to see Scorpius Malfoy, leaning against the doorframe with raised eyebrows and a smirk. –No,” snapped Albus. –No, I’m not.”

Scorpius did not seem to be affected by Albus’s sharp tone. –You’re looking for your wand, right?”

Albus nodded.

–Well, your cousin has it. She picked it up for you when it fell out of your robes.”

–Oh,” said Albus, not bothering to ask how Scorpius knew this. –Erm--thanks.”

Scorpius nodded and began to leave.

–Wait,” Albus called. Scorpius turned around.

–What is it?”

–Why weren’t you in the Great Hall for breakfast?”

Scorpius hesitated. –I wasn’t hungry.”

–Oh. Well, I’ll be heading off to class now.”

–Right,” Scorpius said. –Um--mind if I walk with you?”

Albus smiled, sensing the start of a friendship. –Sure.”

***

Albus and Scorpius were seated seconds before the bell rang.

Albus turned to Rose and held out his hand. –Wand.”

Rose handed it to him. –I meant to give it to you earlier, but I forgot until you started shrieking and rushed off.

Charlie snorted. –Smooth, Al.”

Albus rolled his eyes. –You know--–

Suddenly, the door burst open and a tall man dressed in deep blue robes and silvery hair walked in and seated himself at the large mahogany desk in the front of the classroom. –Good morning, I am Professor Crawford. I will be teaching you Transfiguration. Please take your wands out as I call roll.”

Albus pulled out his wand and glanced around the room. The Gryffindors shared this class with the Hufflepuffs, much to Albus’s relief--he had heard from his brother that Slytherin classes were nothing to look forward to. Suddenly, Rose poked him with her quill. –Say you’re here!” she whispered.

–Oh,” said Albus, realizing that Professor Crawford had been calling his name. –Here.”

–Thank you, Mr. Potter. Bethat Saran?”

–Here,” called a bespectacled Hufflepuff boy.

A few minutes later, Professor Crawford put away the roll sheet and stood up. –Transfiguration,” he said in loud, clear tones, –is the art of transforming. It branches out throughout the tree that is magic, and connects itself to many of the finer magical arts--Animagus transformations, for example, which we will be learning about later on.”

Albus glanced over at Rose, wondering if she would just head straight to the library after class to research Animagi on her own.

A good ten minutes later, they were assigned their first task: turning matchsticks into needles.

– Acica Agentus !” Albus muttered, waving his wand experimentally at the matchstick. Nothing happened.

Charlie waved his wand. – Acica Agentus.” Suddenly, to the horror of those around him, the matchstick burst into flame. Rose squealed and jumped out of her seat. Rowan turned deathly pale, and Scorpius fell out of his chair.

–Aguamenti!” cried Professor Crawford, a stream of water issuing out of the tip of his wand. The fire disappeared, leaving a rather soggy matchstick in its place. The professor turned to Charlie, a stern look on his face. –Mr. Longbottom, you must say the incantation first then perform the wand movement. Try again.” The teacher placed a new matchstick on Charlie’s desk and walked away.

–Well,” said Rowan, blinking. –That was--eventful.”

Albus laughed.

***

Albus slid onto one of the benches at the Gryffindor table and sat down, greedily shoveling a huge portion of fish and chips onto his plate. –Thank God for lunch,” he muttered, taking a sip of water from his goblet.

–Amen to that,” said Rowan, smirking as she slid in across from Albus.

–There is never a time when lunch is not welcome, except for maybe breakfast and dinner,” Charlie said happily.

–And dessert,” Rose piped up, gulping down a swig of pumpkin juice.

Albus chuckled at he took a bite of fish. The fried coating crackled pleasantly in his mouth before giving way to the moist, tender meat inside.

–Okay, so what do we have next?”

–Well, so far we’ve had Transfiguration and History of Magic, so--– Rose paused to take out her timetable.

–Potions next,” said Scorpius, beating her to it as he consulted the schedule. Rose pursed her lips and tucked her schedule back into her bag.

Albus slid onto one of the benches at the Gryffindor table and sat down, greedily shoveling a huge portion of fish and chips onto his plate. –Thank God for lunch,” he muttered, taking a sip of water from his goblet.

–Amen to that,” said Rowan, smirking as she slid in across from Albus.

–There is never a time when lunch is not welcome, except for maybe breakfast and dinner,” Charlie said happily.

–And dessert,” Rose piped up, gulping down a swig of pumpkin juice.

Albus chuckled at he took a bite of fish. The fried coating crackled pleasantly in his mouth before giving way to the moist, tender meat inside.

–Okay, so what do we have next?”

–Well, so far we’ve hat Transfiguration and Herbology, so--– Rose paused to take out her timetable.

–Potions next,” said Scorpius, beating her to it as he consulted the schedule. –With the Slytherins.”

Rose pursed her lips in distaste at the combination of –Potions” and –Slytherins” as she tucked her schedule back into her bag. Rowan quirked an eyebrow.

Albus sighed. –Oh, happy day.”

***

The dungeons were cold. Very cold. Albus shivered, gazing around the dimly lit classroom.

The Slytherins, however, did not seem to mind. They were all chattering excitedly. One blond girl with emerald green highlights laughed at a joke told by Thaddeus Zabini, a tall dark-skinned boy with amber colored eyes. The group looked like a rather nasty bunch to Albus, but perhaps that was just his imagination.

Next to Albus, Scorpius kept glancing over at the members of the other house out of the corner of his eye. Perhaps he was wondering what it would have been like had he been sitting with them, sharing their jokes and laughing along with them. Albus felt an odd sensation of both sympathy and annoyance.

Suddenly, the door banged open and a tall, unpleasant looking man with dark brown hair and eerie gray eyes strolled briskly in. Albus could not help but wonder if all teachers did this.

–Wands away, quills out,” snapped the man. –We will be taking notes today. I said quills out, Longbottom!”

Charlie, looking terrified, pulled out a quill and a bottle of ink. Rowan, next to him, was regarding the teacher with a raised eyebrow and doubtful look on her face.

–I am Professor MacDougal,” said the Professor briskly. –And you will refer to me as such. Anyone who does not show me respect and anyone who fails to obey orders will be punished.” The last three words were emphasized clearly. –Are there any questions? No? Good.”

After Professor MacDougal called roll, the class was instructed to copy notes off of the blackboard in the front of the room. As Albus dipped his quill in his ink bottle, he decided that he was not going to enjoy potions class.
End Notes:
"Salica Argentus" is derived from the Latin words for wood and silver. If you have any questions, comments, or constructive criticism, feel free to leave a review. Thanks! --Julie :)