Different Perspectives: From the Beginning to the End by phoenix_tearPatronus
Summary:

This is crazy717 (Abi) of Gryffindor house writing for the final in the MWPP class on the Beta Boards.

 

 


Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2502 Read: 1659 Published: 12/02/11 Updated: 12/10/11

1. Chapter 1 by phoenix_tearPatronus

Chapter 1 by phoenix_tearPatronus
Author's Notes:
Thank you to Sarah/ Sapphire at Dawn for being a wonderful beta =)
All eyes were on the first years as they walked to the front of the Great Hall, awestruck at their surroundings. Sirius looked at the ceiling in fascination; this was the start of his adventure. Hogwarts was his chance to escape his family and their pure-blood prejudices.

When they reached the staff table, they crowded around a three-legged stool, on top of which Professor McGonagall placed an old, shabby hat. Every one looked at the hat in expectation. There was a few seconds of silence, and then a rip near its brim opened wide like a mouth and sang:

“I may not be a pretty sight
But you'll be blessed to find a smarter hat than me.
When you put me on I'll look inside
and tell you where you ought to be.
Do you belong in daring Gryffindor house,
Where you'll be with the brave at heart
Or do you belong in Slytherin
Whose ambition sets them apart.
Or is wise old Ravenclaw for you?
It is if you have a ready mind
Or are you a Hufflepuff?
Whose loyalty can not be denied.
Don't be afraid, put me on your head
For I am the Hogwarts sorting hat
And I will tell you where you ought to be.”


When the hat finished its song the whole school erupted into applause as the hat nodded to each house table.

“When I call your name you will place the hat on your head in order to be sorted. Then you will go and join your house,” Professor McGonagall said to the first years. “Allen, Elizabeth!”

A dark haired girl hurried forwards and placed the hat on her head. There was silence for a minute before it yelled:

“RAVENCLAW!” The second table from the left burst into applause as Elizabeth hurried over to join her fellow house mates.

“Black, Sirius!” Sirius walked forwards and sat on the stool, pulling the Sorting Hat over his eyes.

Ah a Black eh? But wait, what's this I see? You do not wish to be in Slytherin, the house of your ancestors?” The hat said to him.

Anywhere but Slytherin. I'm not like them, Sirius thought desperately.

Not Slytherin? Well then there's only one place for you- GRYFFINDOR!” The hat announced to everyone. Sirius glanced over at the Slytherin table, where Bellatrix was glaring at him and Narcissa had her mouth open slightly in shock. Sirius was the first Black not to be sorted into Slytherin and he had added salt to the wound by being sorted into Gryffindor. He smiled to himself and sat down at the table decked in read and gold, his back to the Slytherins, and turned to watch the rest of the Sorting with his new house.

***
Lily was shaking as she made her way to the stool. Those few steps seemed to take hours as all eyes in the Great Hall were on her. What if it turns out this was just a mistake, that I shouldn't really be here and it should be someone else? She thought as she sat down and placed the hat on.

Hmm, you have a keen mind, that's for sure, but there's courage there as well,” a voice said behind her ear. Lily jumped. She thought she was going insane, how could a hat be talking to her and no one else could hear? The hat chuckled. “A thirst for knowledge I see. You could do great things in Ravenclaw, but you do not seem to belong there either. No, better be...GRYFFINDOR!”

Lily jumped off the stool and handed the hat back to Professor McGonagall. As she made her way to the Gryffindor table, she glanced at Severus and gave him a small, sad smile. She went to sit down next to Sirius but turned her back to him when she remembered how he had treated Severus. That was then Lily realised how difficult it was going to be to remain friends with Severus while they were at school; the rivalry between Gryffindor and Slytherin was just too intense.

***

Remus Lupin was more nervous than he had ever been in his life. He looked around at his fellow first years as he waited anxiously to be Sorted. What if the hat refuses to sort me because of what I am? The thought had been drifting in and out of his head ever since he had received his letter. He still couldn't believe he was in Hogwarts at all.

Trying to take his mind off his nerves, he looked around at his class mates once more. He noticed James Potter, who he had met on the train; next to him was another boy who had been in his compartment, Peter Pettigrew. He looked even more frightened than Remus, and for the entire train journey, he had been moving around restlessly in his seat. The other boy, Sirius Black, had already been sorted into Gryffindor, something that had come as a shock to many people in the hall. Remus had heard stories about the Black family from his father, none of them being very nice.

He had been so focused on taking his mind of his nerves, he had almost missed his name being called. With trembling knee's, he had some how managed to make it to the stool where the stern-looking professor placed the hat on his head.

Well, well, well, what do we have here? Interesting, very interesting,” the hat said.

Remus sighed, he had been expecting this. Next, the hat would declare he could not Sort him and he would be sent away from Hogwarts forever.

Hmm another good mind, yet Ravenclaw will not do. You haven't got the ambition to be in Slytherin either. Maybe Hufflepuff? No, you are loyal, but you are brave, very brave. No no no, you must be a GRYFFINDOR!”

The hat had bellowed the last word out loudly and the hall filled with claps and cheers. Relief washed over Remus as he made his way over to where Sirius was sitting. He had been Sorted! With a huge grin on his face, he turned to watch the rest of the ceremony.

***

“Pettigrew, Peter.” Peter hurried up to the stool, glad he didn't have to wait any longer He had seen his friends be Sorted, and he wanted nothing more than to follow them into Gryffindor.

Now let me see,” the hat said. “You lack the same ambition your Father had, but you seek those with power. Maybe Slytherin.” Peter froze. If he was sorted into Slytherin, James and Sirius would never talk to him again. Nor did he want to be in the house that his father had been in, not after he had broken his mum's heart.

Not Slytherin; I am not like my father! I want to be with my friends!

Not Slytherin? Well, well, well. You have some brains, but you are not at all a Ravenclaw, nor are you a Hufflepuff. Well, then, you must be...GRYFFINDOR!"

Gryffindor! He had actually been sorted into Gryffindor! Relief and joy flooded him as he hurried over to his brand new house and slid into the seat next to Remus.

The next seven years are going to be the best of my life! he sighed. At last, I am home.

***

“Potter, James!” James was more nervous than he would like to admit when he placed the hat on his head. In the back of his mind, he worried for a moment that he might not live up to the family name.

“Ah, a Potter. You are so very much like your father, brave, maybe too brave. Yes, you will do very well in...GRYFFINDOR!” James grinned, what had he been so worried about? Of course he was a Gryffindor; he couldn't believe he had doubted it for even a second. He walked over to where his friends were sitting at the Gryffindor table.

I'm going to make sure Gryffindor wins every House Cup while I'm here and I'm going to be the Captain of the best Quidditch team Hogwarts has ever seen. Just you wait.

***

Severus looked over to where Lily was being joined one by one by the horrid boys they had met on the train. He knew that there was no chance of the two of them being in the same house any longer, that it was only a matter of time before the friendship was over. His own house-mates would torture him if he were friends with a Gryffindor, and her being a Mudblood just made it worse.

“Snape, Severus!”

“I see you wish to join a young friend of yours, but I'm afraid that cannot happen. You are too much like your mother, and she was a true Slytherin. You are cunning and sly; you will do whatever you can to get what you desire. SLYTHERIN!”

He sat down next to Lucius Malfoy, a sixth year prefect. This is where I belong. But it doesn't make it any easier to be apart from her.

***

“Our last day at Hogwarts,” Lily said looking up at the castle. The Marauders and Lily were taking one last walk around the castle and the grounds. It was an odd feeling, knowing that they would never be coming back here as students. Lily hoped to be a teacher, but she had decided to wait until after the war was over to apply so she could better devote herself to the Order. Each of the Marauders had done the same. They would do what the Order required them to do and put their own dreams aside to help defeat Voldemort.

“Ah boys, we have one last thing we need to do before we leave,” Peter piped up suddenly.

“What's that?” James asked.

“Get caught with the Map. We need to do what we can to aid any Marauders of the future generations.”

“Right you are, Peter!” Sirius said grinning. Lily sighed.

“I'm going to have my work cut out if there are any troublemakers like you at school when I become a professor.”

“Who'd want to be taught by a Mudblood like you?” spat an unwelcome voice from a gang of Slytherins that had decided to turn up right then.

“What do you want, Snape?” Lily asked, her eyes blazing. Lily still felt the loss of their friendship, and it hurt her to think that, soon, she would be fighting against him in more than just petty school ground squabble. However, she had accepted that she had chosen her way and he had chosen his. They were too different, and, even if he hadn't called her a Mudblood after their OWL exam, there would have been something else that ended the friendship. That didn't stop the feeling of loss whenever she thought about him, though.

“For Merlin's sake, Snivellus, this is our last day at Hogwarts. Can't you just leave us in peace?” James said.

He had matured so much since fifth year that Lily sometimes forgot that he had once gone around hexing Slytherins for no reason. Lily looked at Sirius and Peter, both of whom had their hands on their wands, ready for a fight. People under estimated Peter. He wasn't in the same league as James and Sirius, but he was talented at Care of Magical Creatures and at Defence Against the Dark Arts. As for Sirius, Lily wasn't entirely sure if he would ever grow up entirely, but he, too, had done some growing up. Remus had become more and more despondent as their time at school came to a close; Hogwarts was the one place he had that was far away from the prejudices of the outside world. He would find it nearly impossible to find a job, but now that he had the Order, he wouldn't have to worry about that for a little while, at least.

War does this to people, Lily thought. It forces them to grow up and it changes them. Finally, she looked directly at Snape. She thought she saw a flicker of emotion in those black eyes, but a second later they were as cold and shielded as they always had been. There was once a time when she could tell what he was feeling and what he was thinking; the wall never used to be there for her. He let down his guard for her, trusted her with things she was sure none of the Slytherins know about him. She sighed.

“James, Sirius, Peter, Remus lets go. I want to go and see Hagrid before we leave,” she said before turning in the direction of Hagrid's hut.

“The Dark Lord wants you to join him, all of you. You might as well make it easy for yourselves and give yourselves to him now. It's inevitable, and you know it.” Lily turned to face her old friend.

“We will never join Voldemort." Lily practically spat the name. "He will have to kill us before we betray our friends,” she added before hurrying after James and the others.

***

Damn Potter. Damn his popularity, and damn his charm, Snape thought, kicking a stone, wishing it was Potter's head. Half the school already fancies him and now Lily does, too.

Lily.

The one person I actually care about, the one person who understood and accepted me, the one person that I've ever loved...and now she's going out with that arrogant swine Potter.

He stared across the lake.I would die for her, and I used to think she would do the same for me.

The way she had looked at him when he told her to join the Dark Lord had been one of utter loathing. That had hurt him in a way no words ever could. Lily loved Potter, and she was happy when she was with him. All he had ever wanted was for Lily to be happy, but that didn't stop him for hating the object of her affection with every fibre of his being.

It should have been me. I was always there for her, I've always loved her. It should have been me.

***

Not Harry, please no don't kill him! Take me, kill me instead-”

“This is my last warning-”

“Not Harry! Please... have mercy... Not Harry! Please- I'll do anything...” This is the end, Lily thought to herself. This monster has already killed my husband, he'll not kill my son as well. Despite his repeated warnings, she refused to step aside. Look after him Severus, please look after him. I know we haven't spoken in years, and I'm sorry but please, he's my son. Look after him, for me. She sent a prayer to her former best friend, hoping with all of her heart that he would look after her son.

I love you.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=90603