Never The Same by foreverandalways14
Summary: Albus and Lily Potter, Rose Weasley, Scorpius Malfoy, and Thomas and Alaina Longbottom spend most of their time at Hogwarts together. But when an evil plot is unveiled within the depths of the ancient school, they all may be torn apart as their bonds are tested and they're cast from their irregular regular lives.
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 14324 Read: 25853 Published: 12/18/11 Updated: 04/08/12
Story Notes:
Thank you all so much for taking time to read my little story. I would like to point out that I am aware of the canon that Neville was married to Hannah Abbot by JKR, but I chose to use a different one, and placed him with Luna instead. Thank you again!

1. Albus by foreverandalways14

2. Rose by foreverandalways14

3. Scorpius by foreverandalways14

4. Rose by foreverandalways14

5. Albus by foreverandalways14

6. Scorpius by foreverandalways14

7. Thomas by foreverandalways14

8. Rose by foreverandalways14

9. Albus by foreverandalways14

Albus by foreverandalways14
Author's Notes:
Thanks for taking time to read this! Also, each chapter title is telling you all which character this chapter generally follows. I'll switch between the six of them from time to time.
–Have a fantastic term, sweetheart!” Ginny Potter shouted up to the window, waving her arm frantically. –I love you!” Albus Potter thrust his hand out the window and returned her wave energetically.

–Bye, Mum!” he yelled back as the train began to roll and his mother slowly became smaller. He kept waving until they rounded a corner and she was taken from his view. Slowly, he pulled himself back into the train and looked around. His younger sister, Lily, was standing next to him, her arms folded across her chest.

–You're such a mamma's boy,” she mocked lightly, and he punched her on the shoulder. –Ouch! You don't have to be so mean!” Albus rolled his eyes.

–Shut up, Squirt,” he said. –Seen Rosie?” Lily started glancing around as well, then pointed a little down the hall.

–There she is,” she said. And there was Rose, pushing her way through the crowds of kids. Her bright red hair was swirling around her head as she was jostled by all the moving bodies.

–Albus!” she cried, shoving through the last group of kids and flinging herself at him in a hug. –It's so good to see you!”

–It's great to see you too, Rosie!” he said, returning the hug enthusiastically. –How was America?”

–Oh, it was great! We went to New York City and saw a 'musical' on this theatre stage called Broadway! It was kind of offensive though. It was called Wicked, and it displayed witches as having big noses and green skin! As if!” she ranted excited, pulling him and Lily through the thick crowds and into a mostly empty compartment.

–Hey, Albus, Lily,” Alaina Longbottom piped up as they came into the compartment, smiling brightly. She had thick, light brown hair and big blue eyes, a dainty nose, and a luminous smile. –Nice holiday?”

–Definitely,” Lily responded, sitting down heavily next to her best friend. They were both in their third years, having made friends back when they were toddlers. Albus sat next to Alaina's older brother, Thomas, who was in his fourth year with Albus. He had dark brown hair and large brown eyes and was quite tall; he also happened to be very popular with most of the girls in their grade, the grades below them, and the grades above them. They were best friends as well, along with Rose and Scorpius Malfoy. Thomas, or Tom as he preferred, rubbed his hair roughly as he sat.

–Hey, man!” he greeted. –Doing good?” Albus grinned at him. Albus was close to his height; he was about six feet tall on the dot, and Tom was around six foot three. Albus closely resembled his father, the famous Harry Potter, with dark brown hair, bright green eyes, and light skin. He also happened to be pretty popular himself.

–Pretty well, happy to be going back to Hogwarts,” he said. –Has Scorpius not showed his face yet?”

–Nah,” Rose said, joining in the conversation. –He said he has to talk to Ian Zabini about something.” Albus tilted his head, but Rose simply shrugged.

The compartment door suddenly swung open, and someone fell in and hit the floor with a light thump and a loud, –Ouch!”

–James?” Albus gasped as his brother's head hit his shin. –What're you doing?”

With a groan, James pushed himself to his feet, rubbing his head. –I was coming to talk to you guys, but someone pushed me hard on the back when I got the door open!”

–Well, what do you need?” Rose asked, gesturing he take a seat. –And is your head alright?” James took the seat thankfully, compulsively fixing his hair.

–I wanted to tell you three,” he said, pointing at Albus, Rose, and Thomas, –That Scorpius is in a fight with Zabini halfway down the train!”

The three friends were on their feet immediately, wands out. James stood as well, having liked Scorpius for years since he came to their home with Albus to visit over the summer of Albus' first year. Despite Lily's pleads to wait, they all pushed out the small door and down the hall, following the obvious sounds of a fight that they were surprised they hadn't heard from their compartment.

The crowd of kids was thicker here, and it was slow going, but a lot of the kids knew the four and parted slightly to let them through. They got to Scorpius and Zabini, thrashing on the floor of the corridor. Scorp was on top of Zabini, punching him repeatedly in the face. Zabini seemed dazed, his head snapping each time Scorpius' fist collided with his face.

–Scorpius!” Albus yelled, leaning down with Thomas. They grabbed him on either side under his arms and dragged him off of Zabini, kicking his feet out wildly now.

–Let me go!” he shouted, struggling against his friends, but they were both stronger and successfully drug him away from Zabini, who was out cold, and all the way back down the train to their compartment.

–What the hell happened?!” Thomas chided, shoving Scorpius into a seat. Rose stood over their shoulders, her brow creased with concern. She ducked under their arms and sat next to Scorp, looking at him curiously.

Scorpius glared around at them all; Lily and Alaina were still seated by the door, glancing between all of them with wonder.

–I went to talk to Zabini,” he said slowly, struggling. His face was cut in several places, along with bruises, and his dress shirt was ripped at some spots. –I had heard some rumors about things he had been saying, and I was going to confront him directly about it... he'd been calling you all blood-traitors and such. He admitted it to my face, and repeated it all... I just lost it. I attacked him and started punching him, and he hit back too.” He looked at Rose pleadingly. She leaned over him and wiped a trickle of blood from his face. He smiled slightly, but it flickered quickly and disappeared.

Albus and Thomas sat heavily in front of him, next to Alaina and Lily, who now looked approving.

–You didn't have to do that,” Rose said quietly, setting a light hand on his shoulder. He looked up at her, then back to Albus.

–I wanted to,” he murmured.

The train ride continued, surprisingly uneventful. Their entire compartment knew that there would be consequences waiting for Scorpius when they reached the school, but they all tried to help him forget this by chatting about the upcoming Quidditch season.

Albus was on Gryffindor's team as Seeker, just like his father. Many people compared him to his dad, and he viewed it as a compliment. He still, however, strives to be as good as him. Scorpius was Keeper on Gryffindor's team as well; there was no limit to the surprise of Scorpius being Sorted into Gryffindor.

They all remembered the day well. All of them were so young, so small, Scorpius especially. They had stood nervously before the Hat, as had many generations before them, and will continue to for many more. Scorpius' name had come first, as his last name was Malfoy, above Potter and Weasley alphabetically. The hat had sat on his head for the longest period of time; for everyone it seemed to take hours. When the hat finally decided and cried, –GRYFFINDOR!” to the entire hall, no one moved. They had all sat there, gape-mouthed, until James, seated at the Gryffindor table, had stood and began applauding loudly. This seemed to pull everyone from the reveries and the House table burst into cheers. Scorpius had left the stool and the hat behind then, still in shock as he took a seat beside James... Rose and Albus and Thomas soon joined him.

–Albus?” someone was saying, snapping in front of his face. He jumped about a foot in his seat as he blinked up at Rose, leaning over him. –You were completely zoned out.”

–Er, sorry,” he said quickly. –I was just thinking about our first year at Hogwarts.” Everyone smiled a bit at the memory. –What were you saying?”

–Well, we need to get off the train now...” she said slowly. With a shock, Albus realized everyone was standing and smirking down at him. He stood hurriedly and ran a hand through his hair.

–Right, right, sorry,” he apologized, amid snickers from his friends. –Oh, shut up.”

They exited the train together, returning to their usual excited banter.

–Hello there, Albus, Rosie!” a large voice boomed as they stepped onto the Hogsmead Platform. They saw Hagrid, looming over the crowd, nearby, a lantern raised to his great ruddy face. –Doin' alrigh'?”

–Hey Hagrid!” Albus greeted, waving enthusiastically. –We're doing good! See you at the feast!”

The crowd carried them over to where the upper graders rode up in carriages drawn by Thestrals, invisible horses (unless you'd seen death). But before they could all enter one, a voice stopped them all.

–Scorpius Malfoy!” Headmistress McGonagall exclaimed, stalking up to their carriage, her emerald green witches' robes swooshing about her feet. –You will come with me this instant!”
End Notes:
Thanks again! Please pretty pretty please leave me a review! :)
Rose by foreverandalways14
Author's Notes:
Hope you guys enjoy it! :)
Rose looked at Professor McGonagall, momentarily shocked, before she started to speak. –Professor, please, you have to understand-”

–Rose Weasley, unless you would like to join Mr. Malfoy, you will do well to hold your tongue!” she snapped, her brows furrowed. Rose gulped and glanced at Scorpius.

–It's okay, guys,” Scorpius said, probably more bravely than he felt. –I'll... see you all later.”

The now six friends climbed into their carriage slowly, watching as McGonagall led Scorpius away.

–Think he'll be alright?” Rose asked softly as the wheels on their carriage began turning, and they began the slow journey up to the castle.

–He'll be fine,” Thomas said, tossing his hair out of his face.

–Are you sure, Tom?” Alaina said quietly, shifting slightly in her seat beside Lily. –McGonagall looked ready to spit fire.”

Lily glanced around at them all, the worry clearly etched on her face. –Think about it, you guys. She's always had a huge soft spot for us, right? She loved our parents... But for Scorpius? His father was in Slytherin, an opposing house. She might resent Scorpius.” Albus tilted his head.

–Do you really think she'd judge him based upon Draco?” he inquired, thinking it over. –I mean, sure, from the stories Mum and Dad have told me, his dad was a prat. But Scorpius is so different from his father! He has great grades, he's polite to all the teachers and students, and he's often talking all of us out of doing stupid stuff.”

–I guess we'll find out soon enough,” James said.

The castle soon loomed into view, the rest of the ride silent, each in their own thoughts. As the carriage rolled to a slow stop, the three boys leaped out first and helped Alaina, Rose, and Lily out. Another carriage quickly followed, filled with a few fifth year boys; James' friends.

–Well, it was fun, youngins, but I really must be going now,” he said, ruffling Albus' hair before taking off. Albus tried hurriedly to fix his hair.

–Why does everyone keep doing that?” he asked grumpily. Rose patted him lightly on the head, laughing.

–You've just got that kind of hair, Al,” she said, grinning. He swatted her away, and they all began walking up to the castle, laughing.

They joined the flow of students making their way into the entrance hall, up the main staircase, and into the Great Hall. The torches on the walls danced merrily as they took their seats at the Gryffindor table. Lily and Alaina sat next to Lea Finnegan and Alex Thomas, their friends also in their third years. Albus, Rose, and Tom sat further up the table together, quietly awaiting their friend.

Soon, the doors of the hall were flung open, and the line of tittering, nervous first years made their way up the aisle, followed by, to their surprise, Scorpius and McGonagall. Their friend took his seat beside Rose, ignoring their curious looks.

Albus watched Professor McGonagall take her seat at the High Table slowly, as the Assistant Headmaster, Neville Longbottom (Thomas and Alaina's dad), set out the Sorting Hat and stool for the first years.

As the Sorting Hat began its song, Albus leaned towards Scorpius. –So what happened?”

–She's given me detention every Saturday for the first month, and she's going to write to my father,” Scorpius whispered. –I think she let me off easy because I explained to her what I had been hitting Ian for, and he admitted to it.” Albus nodded in acceptance.

–She didn't seem very angry when you came in, actually,” Rose murmured softly. –Why was that?”

–Before we came in, she said that while it was a noble thing for me to have done, defending my friends, it was uneccessary,” Scorpius explained. –I reckon she would've let me off completely if she thought no one would complain.” Rose smiled, glad that McGonagall knew how to not hold grudges. She patted Scorpius' hand under the table, and his usually pale face flamed red.

Just as they finished speaking, the Great Hall erupted into applause; the Sorting Hat had finished its song.

–First years, if you will step up to the stool when I call your name. You will sit down, and I will place the hat on your head. This is how you will be placed into your separate Houses,” Professor Longbottom announced to the shivering eleven-year-olds.

–Adiel, Francis,” he called, and a small boy with sandy blonde hair and a spattering of freckles walked slowly up to the stool and took his seat. The hat fell over his eyes, and after a moment it shouted out, –HUFFLEPUFF!” The Hufflepuff table all cheered, welcoming the now grinning boy to their family.

–Hope we get some good ones this year,” Thomas muttered to his friends. –Remember last year's batch of new kids? They followed Albus around like he was some god.” Everyone but Albus snickered quietly.

The Sorting continued without a hitch, ending on –Walace, Avangelise,” (–GRYFFINDOR!”) before it was taken from the hall. As the applause from the Gryffindors settled down, Professor McGonagall stepped up to the podium in front of the High Table.

–Good evening, everyone,” she called. –To the new students, welcome! And to our older students, welcome back! I trust that this year will be a good one. But I'll bore you with my speech later; now, a feast!” She waved her hand gracefully and the hall filled with bright colors and delighted gasps as the plates before them filled with food.

Rose smirked at Scorpius as he immediately began to fill his plate to the point of overflowing with the fantastic feast laid out before them.

–Slow down there, bud,” Rose laughed, carefully spooning some potatoes onto her own plate. –You'll want to save some room for dessert.”

Soon, everyone's bellies filled to the brim, the food was Vanished and McGonagall approached the podium once more.

–Another fantastic feast,” she said with satisfaction, smiling around at them all. –As I said before, welcome to you all. Our Caretaker, Mr. Forre, as asked me to tell you all that the list of banned objects is able to found on his office door. The Forbidden Forest is, obviously, out-of-bounds, to any of you who do not wish to be in great peril and or pain.” A bit down their table, the four friends saw one of the first years whisper frantically to his neighbor about this piece of information.

–Those of you who wish to try out for your House Quidditch team can submit your names to your Head of House, who will give it to your Captain. Otherwise, I have no news to share with you all, so off you all go to bed.”

With the scraping of many benches, everyone in the hall stood, the sound of many voices mingling and filling the air. –C'mon, you all, let's go before we get too badly trampled,” Thomas said with a smile. Rose and Scorpius, on the opposite side of the table from Thomas and Albus, got lost briefly, before they met the two again at the end of the table. They could hear the Prefects yelling for the first years to follow them, and they all grinned at each other; how stressful it would be, to be a Prefect.

Rose knew her mum expected her to become a Prefect next year. Honestly, Rose didn't want it. She didn't fancy having to boss everyone around. She knew that she probably would be made one, sadly. Her grades were always the top of the class, and she'd never been in trouble with a teacher. Often left to her own thoughts, she wondered who'd be the boy Prefect. Maybe Albus? He'd always been a bit of a teachers' pet. But he did like to stir up trouble. Perhaps Thomas; he was a stickler to the rules, mostly because his dad's a teacher, though his grades are sometimes a bit low.

That left Scorpius. He had never been like his father; never arrogant, never talked back, always focused on his school work and helping his friends. He was a bit of an obvious choice. Then, of course, it could be one of the other boys in their level; Tyler Ream, Alexander Pollis, and George Day. But she didn't think it was very likely.

–Rose!” Albus was shouting in her face, grinning madly. –Did somebody zone out completely?” She slapped him away, sticking out her tongue.

–Oh, shut up,” she groaned, the three boys snickering at her. They were at the portrait of the Fat Lady now, dressed in her usual pink frilly dress.

–Waterlily,” Thomas said to her, stating the password. She smiled and the painting swung open, revealing the Gryffindor Common Room. It was mostly empty, besides Tyler Ream; they had taken a short cut and had gotten here quite quickly. Albus' father had given him a map of the school, called the Marauders' Map, in his third year. It's come in handy many times when they were in a bit of a tight situation.

–Hey, you guys,” Tyler spoke up from a chair by the fire as the four of them took their seats in the plushy armchairs. –Good summer?”

–Fantastic,” Scorpius responded. –Yours?”

–Dull,” Tyler said with a grin.

Rose glanced around at the faces of her friends: Scorpius, his eyes on her, as they always were; Albus, completely checked out of any conversation going on between the five of them; Tom, grinning like an idiot at something Tyler had said jokingly. She felt content.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW ! :)
Scorpius by foreverandalways14
Author's Notes:
Review review review, guys! I want feedback, criticism, anythinggg. I feel like I spelt that wrong. Whoops. But yeah. Hope you all enjoy this! More in the works now!
A cold torrent of water is what Scorpius awoke to the next morning. He sat up quickly, shaking his white blonde hair to get out the water. After wiping his eyes, he opened them to see Albus and Tom, grinning identically from beside his bed.

–Get your lazy arse out of bed,” Tom said, laughing now. –You should see your face!” He tried to imitate Scorpius' expression, forcing him and Albus to cackle uncontrollably.

–It's not funny!” Scorpius chided, pushing himself out of bed. –Why are you dressed?”

–Because it's time for class, dude,” Albus said, grinning. –You missed breakfast.” He pulled a piece of parchment from the folds of his robes; Scorpius' schedule. –Professor Longbottom said to give this to you. And that it might be a good idea to wake you up in an... unconventional way.”

–Knew there was a reason I loved my dad,” Tom joked, snickering. Scorpius cursed and threw open his trunk at the base of his bed and rummaged around, looking for his clothes.

–You bloody jerks,” he muttered, extracting some clothing. –You couldn't have woken me up earlier? Has Rose gone already?”

–Well, you just looked so peaceful sleeping!” Albus said innocently, smirking. –And yeah, she went on to Herbology a few minutes ago. We probably would've left you if she hadn't forced us to come get you.” He chuckled at the exasperated look on Scorpius' face. –Don't give me that look! You know you would've done the same!”

–Not true!” Scorpius said resentfully, hurrying to change. –I'm not mean, like you two apparently!”

–Whatever, Scorp,” Tom said, grinning. –Let's just get on down to the greenhouses, eh?”

Ruefully and now fully clothed, Scorpius followed the two boys, chatting excitedly as they half ran, half walked, out of the castle and to the greenhouses.

–Almost late there, you three!” Professor Longbottom called from the front of the classroom, grinning. Tom stuck his tongue out at his dad, who did it right back, and the three boys sat next to Rose, who was watching them with shining eyes from the her seat.

–Awake finally?” she said lightly, poking Scorpius on the shoulder with a devilish smile.

–No, I'm still asleep in bed,” he said sarcastically, and she punched him softly. –Hey, hey! Kidding!”

–Alright, alright, settle down you all...” Professor Longbottom shouted over the noise, and the voices filling the warm room quieted. –I've got a great lesson planned today!”

~*~


The Great Hall was filled with noise as they entered it at lunchtime, after a particularly stressful Transfiguration lesson. There was a large group of people gathered in the front of the Hall, all straining to look over each others' heads. Scorpius glanced at Rose with an eyebrow raised.

–What's going on there, do you reckon?” he said curiously.

–Dunno,” she responded with a shrug. –Let's find out, shall we?” The three boys nodded, and they hurried down the center of the room towards the crowd. Albus spotted Lily and Alaina quickly and shouted for his sister, who spun around at her name. Her face was creased with worry, her skin very pale.

–Lily, what's happened?” he questioned.

–A teacher's been attacked!” she said as they reached her, and she hurried forward to hug her brother. He patted her back as she leaned onto his shoulder, shaking.

–Who was it? Not Professor McGonagall?” Thomas asked Lily in wonder. She shook her head, buried against Albus' neck.

–I-it was Professor Jamus,” Alaina said, having followed her friend to hug Thomas. –The Charms teacher.”

–Have they got any idea who attacked him?” Scorpius piped up, standing on his tip-toes to see over people, despite how tall he already was.

–I saw it happen; it was Ian Zabini...” Lily said slowly, and Scorpius seemed to redden with anger.

–When was it?” Rose asked, setting a comforting hand on Lily's shoulder.

–It was about a minute ago,” she said shakily.

Suddenly from the doorway, a loud voice rang through the hall. –All of you, back to your houses now!” McGonagall was striding down the aisle, her wand raised. –Heads of Houses, take you students to their dormitories and have their lunches brought to them, classes for the rest of the day are cancelled. The rest of you teachers, I want you with me. Go, now!”

The crowd of kids quickly dispersed, hurrying down the three lanes in between the house tables after their Heads. Professor Longbottom pushed his way through the quickly clearing crowd to the six of them with a group of Gryffindors in tow, and grabbed his two kids in a quick embrace.

–I'm glad you all are safe,” he said to them all at large. –Let's go, let's go now, got to get everyone to the dormitory...” Before they left, Scorpius turned over his shoulder and was able to get a good look; he saw the professor splayed out on the floor like a corpse, his red blood pooled around him and soaked into his hair and clothes. Turning from the horrid sight, he followed his friends and their friends' father from the hall and to their common room. Professor Longbottom spoke the password briskly, and the Fat Lady promptly opened the doorway, taking his presence as a bad sign.

–Gather around, all of you,” he shouted over the slight noise as they filed in. People sat in the chairs in threes and on desks and the floor, staring up at the their Head of House, standing before a crackling fire.

–How many of you were there for the attack? I wasn't watching when it happened, sadly.” About a fourth of the group raised their hands, including Lily and Alaina. He pointed at Lily. –What did you see?”

She stood slowly, her skin still a light hue. –I-it was Ian Zabini, s-sir. I watched him approach Professor Jamus, but didn't think anything of it. He shouted some sort of curse, something that started with an 's' - Septinpra? Sectumrepta? - I c-couldn't quite hear him over the general noise. I saw the professor fall, he was c-cut in so many places all over his chest and started screaming, and Ian ran for it... He was out the main doors before anyone could think twice about it, sir. A-and Professor Jamus, he was bleeding so terribly...” She let out a violent sob that racked her whole body. Albus, who had been seated beside her, stood and wrapped his arms around her, and she cried into his shoulder again.

–I saw it too,” Alaina stood, unsteady but a bit calmer than Lily. –Ian had gotten up from the Slytherin table, and some of the people surrounding him were yelling stuff at him - I didn't hear any of it, I was so far away at the time... He just walked up to Professor Jamus, who was in the middle of the hall talking to a student, and when the kid left, he pointed his wand at him, and... well, Lily said the rest.” By then, Lily and Albus had sunk back into their seat, one of the armchairs beside Professor Longbottom.

–Alright, thank you girls,” he said solemnly as Alaina took her seat again. His eyes were alight with fear and a thick layer of worry. –I haven't an idea in the slightest what Headmistress McGonagall will do, so we'll have to wait here until I receive word of her instructions, and of Professor Jamus' condition... I will let you all know what I've found. For now, I suggest you all separate into your respective dorms... The Common Room can get crowded enough as it is.” Scorpius, Albus, Rose, Thomas, Lily, and Alaina all got up hurriedly and were the first up the stairs, and entered the boys' dormitory. Tyler, Alexander, and George were directly behind them, and they moved off to the other side of the room to talk amongst themselves. The six others sat on Scorpius' (Scorpius, Rose, and Alaina) and Albus' (Albus, Lily, and Thomas) beds, staring around at each other in a depressed silence, aside from Lily's small whimpers every once in a while.

–I wonder how he is,” Thomas said quietly, breaking the heavy silence first. –He's a friend of Dad's, you know.” Alaina nodded slightly from her seat beside Rose, who put an arm around her. –He and his wife and his two kids, Lara and May, used to come around for dinner once a month.” He looked aghast for a moment. –I didn't even think about them! They're twins, both in their sixth years, Ravenclaw; I bet they're scared to death!” Scorpius glanced at Rose beside him as the silence fell again, hoping for reassurance. Instead he was met with a set of ocean-blue eyes glistening with tears; he knew Rose had favored Professors Longbottom and Jamus above the others, and she was one of his favorite students. He wrapped an arm around her, and she leaned into him, still holding Alaina with her other arm, who was leaned on her. Rose grabbed his hand in hers, and he could feel the sweat on her palms.

–Will they find him, do you think? Ian?” Albus asked then, still holding a shaking Lily with one arm.

–Hard to say,” Scorpius said, stroking Rose's soft hair without consciously realizing he was doing it. –You said he hightailed it out of there, right Lil?” She nodded slowly. –He could be anywhere in the castle or the grounds. He might have even gotten off the grounds... He won't be in any dorms, of course. Perhaps the Slytherin, they're all sick, slimy gits anyways.” His lip was curled and he spoke with a distaste that went far, further than just the barriers of the school, to his disgraced father and shunned but proud grandfather.

Just then, the door to the dorm slammed opened, and everyone jumped. They looked up to see Professor Longbottom standing in the doorway, his face splotchy and his eyes wide and disbelieving and a bloodshot-red.

–He's dead.”
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! I hope you "enjoyed" it, and there's more coming soon... Got a plan formulating in my brain as I type this. :)
REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW, GUYS! :)
Rose by foreverandalways14
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the wait time and the fact that there's so little in this chapter. It's sort of a filler, the next one is likely to be as well.... sorry!!! Review Review! :D
The next week was a blur of events. A funeral for Professor Jamus was set up, to be held two days after the unfortunate event. The Minister of Magic himself, Kingsley Shacklebolt (who was appointed Minister after the Battle for Hogwarts, and never left the post), came to the ceremony, and gave his utmost condolences to everyone.

The entire student body, and the staff and guests, dressed in simple black robes for the funeral, and they sat in the Great Hall. It had been an open-casket; his body had been mended and cleaned after he had died.

The students were sent home, despite it being only five days into the term. Ian Zabini had not yet been found; word came from Hogsmeade that he had been seen fleeing down the streets before news of the attack had reached them, and had disappeared into the forest on its edge.

The train ride home was deadly silent. Rose sat by Scorpius, her head leaned on his shoulder and her eyes glazed over. Alaina and Albus were in one corner, Albus' arm around the younger girl's shoulder. Lily and Thomas sat awkwardly across from each other, and James sat even more awkwardly beside Thomas.

–Well this is depressing,” he muttered, and every head turned to glare at him. –What? It is!”

–Of course it's depressing, moron,” Albus retorted. –Someone died. Do you expect us all to be cheerful again?”

–No,” he responded in a thick voice, –but I don't think Professor Jamus would want us all moping about. He was always very energetic, wasn't he? He wasn't one for milling around, not doing anything.” They all had to agree with him.

Thomas glanced at Lily, who winked at him and shrugged. –I think James has a point here,” he said quietly, patting James on the shoulder. –We all have to be strong about this. Once Zabini is caught, we'll be back at school, and eventually everything will go back to normal. At least, almost.”

–That's true,” Rose piped up, speaking for the first time that day. –You all know I'm going to miss Professor Jamus as much as anyone, but look at this. Look at us. In a way, this has brought us all closer together. If you ask me, I think this was almost a test. I think there's going to be something, something soon, and we need to be united if we're to survive it.” The silence took over again, everyone returning to their own thoughts.

The train rolled into the station, and kids slowly began to unload.

–Rosie! Hugo!” Hermione cried as the two siblings bounded off the train and into their mother's waiting arms. Rose's brother had been with his friends, and she somehow managed to forget him. She regretted it then. –I'm so glad you both are safe.”

Rose hugged her mother tightly, her chin against her neck. She watched Albus, James, and Lily hurry to her aunt and uncle, hugging them both.

Her father was standing over them, obviously debating whether or not to join. Rose pulled back and extended her arm to him, and he hugged her and her brother tightly.

The moment ended quickly. The others came over to them then, smiling sadly.

–We'll be heading home then, I suppose,” Harry said as they approached, looking put out. –Hopefully the school will open its doors again soon, and everything will return to normal.”

–Here's hoping,” Rose's father said, shaking his best friend's hand firmly. –We'll have to have dinner some night, let the kids keep being around each other.”

–That's a right idea, Ronald,” Ginny said with a smile, gripping Harry's arm lightly. –Bye.”

–See you later, Al!” Rose said sadly, thumping her cousin on the back. –Make sure to write, yeah?”

–Alright,” he responded with a grin. He turned to follow his family from the platform, and Rose's family quickly followed suit.

The car ride home was silent, though not as heavy as the one in the compartment. They stopped for ice cream on their way, and Hugo and Rose spent the ride eating it happily. After unloading their luggage and owl cages from the trunk, they trooped inside and quickly dispersed to their own corners of the house; Rose and Hugo wandered into their respective bedrooms, while their parents drifted to the living room.

As Rose sat uncomfortably on her bed, she looked around her room, which differed so greatly to her dormitory at school. Her electric alarm clock (off, seeing as she had left for school), the large TV mounted on her wall that she had gotten as a gift for her fourteenth birthday, as a gift from her mum's parents. The only thing that made her mildly comforted was the large fireplace, a bucket of Floo Powder on the mantle. A small fire was crackling in it; her parents must have set it before they had left to retrieve her and her brother.

She stood and walked slowly over to it, taking a seat in the large, plushy armchair that sat beside it, and stared into the flame.

–Rose!” an incredibly familiar voice exclaimed, and she jumped when the fire flashed to green and Albus' face appeared. –What a surprise!”

–Albus!” she cried, dropping onto her knees before the fire. He grinned impishly at her.

–Miss me?” he teased.

–I saw you only what, two hours ago?” she said, laughing. –Are you really that clingy?”

–Well if you don't want my company...” he said slowly, making like he was going to pull his head from the flames.

–No, no, I'm sorry!” she giggled, waving her hand. –I'm just playing with you. Have you heard anything from Scorpius or Thomas? I forgot to look for them before we left the platform, and I feel kind of bad about it.” Albus' head suddenly retracted, and was replaced by Scorpius'.

–Hello!” he smirked. –Fancy seeing you here.

–Scorpius?” she said, raising her eyebrow and leaning in closer to the fire. –Where are you?”

–The Potters'!” he explained, tossing his hair from his eyes. –Albus here caught up with my parents and I on our way out, and invited me over. So here I am. How're you holding up?”

–I'm alright,” she said quietly, tucking her fiery red hair behind her ear. –Better now that I remember I have a link with you two dunderheads for this blasted break, but still a bit upset.”

–Do you think your parents would let you come here, with the Floo Powder?” he asked her.

–Not today, I'd reckon,” Rose said sadly, fingering her carpet. –Mum was really worried, after she'd heard about the professor. She probably won't want us to leave today, so soon.”

–Right, right, understandable,” he muttered, –but still sad all the same. I guess we'll just have to have loads of fun without you here.”

–Bah! Jerk!” she whimpered, and he laughed loudly. There was a snicker from Scorpius' side, and his head was pushed out of the way by Albus'.

–If you two lovebirds would please stop with the gross flirting,” Rose's face turned bright red. –Ah, got you, didn't I? Anyways, if you two could stop flirting, we must make our departure now, Rosie.”

–Do you have to?” she whined. –It's really quite dull here.”

–'Fraid so,” Albus replied. –Mum's got dinner ready, and she'll have our hides if we're not down the stairs soon.”

–Well, okay,” she said reluctantly. –See you two later.” She heard a yell from the other side of the fire, but the original color returned to the flame before anything could happen. Sighing, she went and threw herself onto her bed. This was going to be an agonizingly long break.

~*~


–Rose, sweetheart?” Hermione whispered as she pushed the door to her daughter's room open slowly, sticking her head in. –Are you awake, dear?”

Rose was sprawled out on her bed, surrounded by books and papers.

–Hi Mum,” she greeted softly, looking up from her work.

–What're you doing?” her mother asked curiously, coming in and taking a seat on the end of her bed.

–Some homework from the classes we had the day of the... incident. With everything's that's happened, I didn't get a chance to do it. I had Charms, Transfiguration, and Herbology that morning,” she explained distractedly, shuffling a pile of papers absently.

–Good girl,” Hermione said with a smile. –Why don't you take a break for a bit, though? I've got dinner ready downstairs.”

–Yeah, okay,” Rose agreed, snapping the book in her lap shut. –I'll be down in a second.”

With a serene smile, Hermione lifted herself to her feet and left. Rose glanced out the window on her wall that faced the east, similar to the window on her opposite wall. She remembered, as a young girl, how she would wake up to the sunrise and go to bed as it set, always watching it in wonder from her windows. Forcing herself off her bed, she left her room behind and made her way slowly downstairs, the amazing smell of hamburgers drifting to her.

–That smells great, Mum,” she said as she kissed her mother on the cheek and grabbed a plate.

She sat down with her food and ate silently, not taking part in the banter between her parents and younger brother.

–Rose!” her father said, snapping in front of her face and pulling her from her thoughts. –Are you listening?”

–Sorry, what?” she said sheepishly. –Were you speaking to me?”

–I was,” Ron said with a grin, which she responded to. –I asked if you'd like to go to the Potters' tomorrow. We were speaking with them before the train arrived, and invited you over. And the Jamisons invited Hugo over to be with Alexa and Trevor.”

–Oh, yeah!” Rose cried. –That would be awesome! I was speaking to them earlier, and Scorp is there too.”

–When did you speak to them?” her mother asked suspiciously.

–Oh, er,” she muttered. –Albus used Floo to talk to me.” Her parents exchanged glances. –What?”

–Nothing,” her father said quickly. She looked between them with narrowed eyes, but they both stood and took their plates to the sink, ending the discussion. Rose got up as well and retreated back to her room.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading, more soon! REVIEWWW :)
Albus by foreverandalways14
Author's Notes:
Thanks for reading! Reviewww :)
The days turned to weeks, and still no news from the school.

Finally, on a Monday, all the students received word from the school. Letters were flown to the homes of every student enrolled in the school, and read as follows;


Dear Student,

After the unfortunate passing of our Charms teacher, Professor Jamus, we closed the school while we conducted a search for his murderer. Even after these weeks of extensive searches, we have been unsuccessful in his capturing, and have chosen to reopen the school despite this. The Hogwarts Express will depart from King's Cross Station at precisely eleven o'clock on Friday, October 7. Please be there on time, and with all your class supplies in tow.

Thank you for your patience,

Professor Neville Longbottom, Deputy Headmaster


Albus Potter was splayed out on his bed when the school owl soared in through his open window to land on his dresser with a soft hoot, the letter in his beak. Albus leaped up with a cry of excitement and took the letter; the owl swooped out immediately after. Quickly scanning the letter, Albus hurried from his room and slid down the banister to the bottom floor.

–Mum! Mum!” he yelled as he hurled himself into the kitchen, waving the letter in the air. –Look at this! It's from the school!” Ginny was reading the Prophet at the table and looked up as her youngest son came in.

–Is the term beginning again?” she asked with a smile. –I suppose I could guess that from your mood.”

–It starts Friday!” he practically sang. –I have to talk to Rose!” Ginny waved her hand dismissively, and Albus crashed into the living room, tripped over the couch, and launched himself in front of the fireplace. Dipping his hand into the Floo Powder bucket, he tossed the dust into the already-crackling fire and shouted for Rose. Her room appeared in the fireplace, but he couldn't see her from his viewpoint (he knew she was in the room though, seeing as the picture came through).

–Rose!” he shouted, and her face appeared from around the side of the fireplace.

–Albus!” she exclaimed, dropping to her knees before him. –I take it you got the letter?”

–You bet I did!” he said excitedly. –Only Friday! Can you imagine how great it'll be to go back? I haven't seen Thomas, Alaina, or Scorpius since that day you all came here!” Rose grinned.

–Me either! All I've seen is your sorry mug for weeks and weeks!” she laughed, and he rolled his eyes.

–Oh you comedian,” he groaned. –I have to go pack!”

–Me as well,” Rose agreed. –I'll see you on Friday!”

~*~

The Potter family (minus Harry) strolled through the busy station at 10:50 a.m. that Friday, pushing their way through the throng of people. One by one, they raced at the barrier, Albus in the lead.

–Albus!” a voice cried, and suddenly Rose appeared out of nowhere, throwing herself at him in a hug. –It's about time you got here!”

–Rosie!” Albus practically choked as she wrung his neck. –Careful there! Seen Thomas, or Scorpius?”

–Aye, mate,” Scorpius laughed, slapping Albus on the back. –Where the bloody hell have you been? I've been trapped at my parents' house for weeks longer than I usually am, and I'm dying!”

–Good to see you too,” Albus goaded, elbowing Scorpius, who dodged with ease.

–Let's go ahead and get on, eh?” Scorpius suggested, leading his two friends through the crowd of families saying goodbye. –My parents just dropped me off, and Rose's parents had to leave, something important going on at the Ministry, apparently.”

–Right, right. And Thomas?” Albus glanced around the platform quickly, looking for the familiar head over the crowd.

–Already on board,” Rose smiled, grabbing Albus' arm. –You're so slow! Come on, come on!”

They bounded onto the train and followed Rose down the corridor until they found Alaina and Thomas in an empty compartment.

–There you are!” Albus patted Thomas on the shoulder and grinned at him. –Long time no see, mate.”

–Same to you, nerd,” Thomas said laughingly, prodding him on the arm with a broad smile. –How's it going?”

–Well enough,” Albus said as he sat down heavily next to Alaina, who shyly smiled at him.

Rose and Scorpius took their seats as well, and Thomas settled in to the seat closest to the door.

–Where've Lily and James gone?” Thomas inquired, leaning to look out the glass door. Albus frowned; he must have left them on the platform.

–Er. I'm sure they'll find us eventually.” The train began to roll into motion. Doors all along the corridor slammed shut, and an eerie silence fell over the train.

–The last time we were on this train-” Rose began, but Albus put up a hand to stop her. –What?”

–It doesn't do well to dwell on the past...” he said softly. –We can't linger on the... unfortunate event, Rosie.”

–Are we supposed to just forget him?” she snarled back, her eyes flashing suddenly.

–Did I say that?” he hissed. –No, no, I didn't. I only meant that we don't want to let this year go to waste... I miss him too, but we can't stay on this.”

–You jerk!” Lily cried as she and James stormed into the compartment, her lips pursed in a frown. –Why'd you take off like that?”

–And where's your little brother, Rose? Are you not keeping up with him?” James asked as he sat beside Albus on his other side, closest to the window. Lily sat awkwardly next to Thomas, who raised an eyebrow.

–He ran off when we arrived with Alexa and Trevor Jamison, and that other boy, was it Ryan?” Rose explained. James nodded and turned to stare out at the quick moving landscape.

The conversation moved topics easily to the newest Quidditch season, the argument from earlier easing into the backs of all their minds. James and Rose were two of three Chasers on the Gryffindor team; the other was a sixth year boy named Peter Hugh. The two Beaters were Fred Weasley (another of Albus and Rose's cousins, in his seventh year), and Dylan Wry, another sixth year. Fred actually happened to be Captain, and had a pretty strict training schedule. Everyone had judged him to begin with for putting mostly family on his team, but the judgments went away when everyone saw how well they played.

The light outside changed to dusk, and the train began to slow; they had reached the station. The seven of them leaped off the train and pushed their ways through the crowds of people. James broke off quickly, though, to speak with another of his friends. The six remaining got into a carriage and rode up the path to the castle in silence.

Squares of light shone on the walkway as they made their way up to the school. The hall was quiet, and the six took their seats, three on either side of the table.

–Sit down,” Professor McGonagall said from the front of the room. –Please, all of you.” The most absolute silence fell then, everyone having hurried into the Hall to hear what was to be said.

–Another welcome to you all... It was on depressing terms we left each other weeks ago. The loss of our Charms teacher, Professor Jamus, has placed a heavy weight on all our hearts.” A choked sob rang through the hall, and then there was the scraping of chair legs as a third year girl hurried out of the hall. McGonagall continued again. –However, we must remain united as a school. His murderer, Ian Zabini, has yet to be discovered, though it is incredibly unlikely that he hides within the grounds or school.”

–As a slightly off-topic note, the election of a Charms teacher is one reason the break lasted as long as it did. But we were luckily able to find one on such short notice. So, without further ado, allow me to introduce Professor Dianna Bulburry.” McGonagall gestured behind her to the staff table where a tall woman with startling blonde hair and big eyes now stood, waving solemnly at the resigned applause she received.

–Classes shall resume as normal on Tuesday,” she said now. –I certainly hope you all finished your homework.” There was some squirming as students glanced at each other with grimaces. –Thank you. And now, dinner.” She waved her hand, and a meal appeared before the students.

~*~

–Night Albus,” Rose murmured as she waved her cousin up the stairs. –See you in the morning.”

–See you, Rosie,” Albus yawned. –You coming, Scorp?”

–I'll be up in a second,” Scorpius promised. –I need to get my books put back in my bag.” He turned to the table the four of them had just vacated, and with a final nod, Albus turned and went up the staircase. Peeking over the landing at the top, he watched Scorpius approach Rose, leaning down to talk to her closely. It didn't come as much of a surprise to Albus when he saw Scorpius close that small distance between them and kissed Rose on the mouth. Albus was actually quite okay with it; it'd been obvious since their second year they had feelings for each other.

Feeling slightly guilty, Albus ducked into his dormitory and closed the door quietly, the only sound a small click as the door latched into place.
End Notes:
Review!
Scorpius by foreverandalways14
Author's Notes:
Thanks for reading, I have no idea how long this story is going end up being, chapter wise!
–Night Albus,” he heard Rose mutter, and Scorpius looked up from the Transfiguration book he had in his lap. He got to his feet and stretched.

–See you, Rosie,” Albus said, glancing at Scorpius. –You coming, Scorp?”

–I'll be up in a second,” he said, his heartbeat picking up. He knew what was coming; he knew he had to just grit his teeth and do it. –I need to get my books put back in my bag.” Facing the table, he waited until he could no longer hear Albus' feet before speaking. –Thanks for helping me.”

–Of course,” Rose said, almost surprised. –I did my homework in the first week we were home, I don't mind letting you copy.”

–No,” Scorpius corrected her. –I don't mean the homework.” He turned again and moved toward her, stopping only a breath away. Her eyes widened, those deep pools of beautiful blue. –I mean helping me find who I am.”

–Scorpius, I-” she began, but he cut her off as he leaned closer.

–We belong together,” he whispered, and he stooped down, pressed his lips against hers, and they melted together. She pushed herself against him, the bends of her slim figure fitting right against Scorpius'. His heart soared; he had been waiting, it felt, his whole life for this very moment. Her hands ran through his white-blonde hair, spiking it and twisting it. Too soon, it ended, and she pulled back with an almost strangled gasp.

–Goodnight,” he said so quietly, his voice hardly registering with Rose's mind.

–Wait,” she begged, and she stood on her tip-toes, and went for his mouth again, fiercely and passionately. This time it was he who drew back, his face warm and his heart beat going like he'd ran seven marathons back-to-back.

–Goodnight,” she said in a chipper voice, and she turned and practically skipped up the stairs. He stood there, his fingers on his mouth, for what seemed hours.

~*~

–Breakfast!” Albus said over-excitedly, tossing himself onto the bench beside Thomas. –Grab a plate, Scorp!” Scorpius didn't hear him; he just kept pushing himself up in his seat and staring out the main doors. He couldn't stay still; after three years of waiting for her, he didn't want to waste any time.

There! He saw a mane of red hair bobbing in between the other students, making its way towards them at the table. He got to his feet, ignoring the questions from his friends, and pushed through a crowd of fifth year girls to reach Rose. She saw him and smiled sheepishly, stopping in front of him awkwardly.

–Good morning,” she greeted, bouncing on the balls of her feet. Without a word, he leaned down and kissed her; not as warmly as the night before, but enough that she got the gist, as did everyone around them. The whispers began immediately; the heir of the Malfoy name, dating the daughter of two of Hogwart's most famous fighters? How peculiar.

He led her back to their seats and sat beside her, looking at Thomas and Albus' wide eyed expressions.

–It's a great morning, isn't it?” he said in a bubbly tone, holding tightly onto Rose's hand under the table.

–If you say so, mate,” Albus shrugged, shoving two pieces of bacon at the same time into his mouth.

–When did...” Thomas began, then gestured wildly between Scorpius and Rose with his fork, a piece of egg stuck on the end, –this happen?” The two grinned at each other.

–Last night,” Rose smiled, pouring herself a glass of pumpkin juice. –Have either of you seen Alaina or Lily? I'd like to talk to them.”

–They were leaving as we came in this morning,” Albus said as he sliced four pieces of sausages cleanly into small cubes. –Something about a friend's crisis.”

–That's odd,” Rose said thoughtfully, pushing an apple slice on her plate back and forth with her gold plated fork, tilting her head.

–Well, gents,” Thomas said after they all finished eating, to a scoff from Rose, –and lady, we ought to be making our ways to class, now.” A groan came from each other the other three.

–What've we got this morning, again?” Scorpius asked, helping Rose out of her seat with a cocky grin.

–Charms.” Thomas grimaced. They shared the class with the Slytherins. –Can't wait to see if this Bulburry lady is any good.”

–Here's hoping,” Albus grunted, swinging his bag onto his shoulder. –Let's go.”

They trooped out of the hall and towards the Charms room, chatting animatedly about Quidditch again. Rose was holding onto Scorpius' arm as they walked, grinning broadly like she was having the time of her life. He leaned down on instinct and kissed the top of her head.

–In, in, you four,” a voice said as they approached the door to the classroom, and Professor Burburry stepped out of the door. She was taller up close, almost as tall as Thomas. Slim and young and blonde, she was bound to make an impression with the male students. –A lot to do today.”

They stepped into the room and gaped around. In the span of possibly a week, the lady had turned Professor Jamus' classroom into a blue whirlwind. The walls were a creamy blue, and all the benches were draped with blue silks. All the walls had golden framed pictures of tropical forests with a grinning crowd or well-lit theater pictures. Bookshelves stood in the middle of the room, stuffed full of old tomes and scrolls and new-looking books.

Several kids were already in the room, one of them being Tyler from Gryffindor. He waved them over, pointing to an empty bench beside him.

–Hey you all,” he said as they made their ways to him and sat on the long bench he had saved for them. Scorpius opened his mouth to reply, but the door slammed shut with a loud bang at that moment, and his mouth snapped shut as well.

–Greeting, kids,” Professor Burburry said as she clicked her way into the center of the room, standing between shelves and facing the student-filled benches. –And welcome to Charms.”

–As you all know, I am Professor Bulburry,” she continued, placing a hand on her hip. –But you lot can call me Dianna. I'm not one for the formality of titles. As I understand it, you all have been well taught in this subject in the past by poor, deceased Professor Jamus. This is good, seeing as this next year is going to be your hardest yet.” She smiled then, showing off sparkling white teeth. –So who's ready to get started?” There was a non-committal murmur from the kids in vary levels of enthusiasm, ranging from bored to impossibly, incredibly bored.

–Well, you're an enthusiastic bunch,” she said sarcastically. –Let's get this going, eh?”

~*~

The classes of the day went by very quickly, and soon the quartet of friends were seated in the Great Hall for dinner. The ceiling was all pink and orange sky of dusk with a few clouds here and there, mimicking the sky outside.

–There's Alaina and Lily,” Thomas told the others, pointing out his and Albus' sisters. They were seated alone. –Want to sit with them?”

–Sure,” Rose said with a grin, and she released Scorpius' arm and flounced away to sit on Lily's side. The three boys stopped for a moment and watched. Lily said something urgently to Rose, and Rose leaned forward and hugged the younger girl. Scorpius glanced at Albus with a raised eyebrow, and Albus shrugged in return.

–What's happened?” Albus asked as he sat on Lily's other side, and Scorpius and Thomas quickly dived under the table and popped back up on either side of Alaina. –Why do you two look as though you just watched a dog tortured?”

–You guys remember our friend, Lea Finnegan, right?” Lily asked. Everyone nodded slowly. –Well, her parents have gone missing.”

–What?” Thomas gasped, leaning forward on his elbows. –Have they got any idea as to why?”

–No,” Alaina said tearfully. –But Lea got an owl this morning that told her her parents were discovered to be missing about an hour after she got onto the Express yesterday.”

–And Lea's been taken out of school and into hiding, because apparently there was a note left in her house that she would be next!” Lily exclaimed, and she leaned her forehead on Albus' shoulder.

–Ms. Weasley,” a voice said, and they all looked up to see McGonagall standing over Albus' shoulder. –Ms. Longbottom, I'd appreciate it greatly if you both would come with me now.”

–Erm, alright,” Alaina said, getting to her feet at the same time as Lily. The four fourth years watched them march from the hall.

–That's really unsettling,” Rose said absently as she spooned soup into her bowl.

–How do you figure?” Thomas inquired, taking a large bite out of his leg of chicken.

–Think about it this way,” she replied, stirring the soup without even trying to eat any. –First, Professor Jamus is killed. And now, on the day we returned, Lea's parents wind up missing. I think there's something unraveling here, but I don't know if I want to know what it is.” Silence settled over their meal.

–I think I'll go up to the common room,” Rose said finally, getting to her feet. Thomas and Albus elected to stay at the table, but Scorpius followed her out.

–Are you alright?” he asked her as she sat curled up in his lap by the fire, her head on his shoulder.

–There's something coming, Scorpius,” she whispered into his ear. –And we'd better be ready when it does.”
End Notes:
Reviewww! :D
Thomas by foreverandalways14
Author's Notes:
Hi guys! Sorry this one is soooo short, but I had to cut it off. I can't really explain why without giving a bunch away!
Alaina and Lily were removed from the school three weeks after Lea was put into hiding, as were Alex Thomas and another boy, Robert Jacobs, all because they had connections to Lea's family.

–Why are we not removed?” Thomas asked one Saturday while they were all seated in the common room, staring at the fire, only the four of them. –We're connected to Lily and Alaina, who are connected to Lea.”

–I suppose because their connections are closer to the source,” Scorpius said around Rose, who hadn't seemed to leave his side for weeks.

–I miss them,” Albus piped up softly. There was a collective murmur of agreement.

–And did you hear?” Rose said quietly, shifting slightly on Scorpius' lap. –There were other students taken as well. A boy in Slytherin, Xavier Parkinson, his parents actually turned up dead. And the Rivers triplets, in Ravenclaw, were taken.”

–Really?” Thomas couldn't have pictured a worse way for this year to go: first a professor was murdered, and they had yet to catch his killer; then his sister and her closest friend were taken out of school and into hiding; and now there were two more deaths, plus who knew how many more? Could they all be connected?

–Have they any idea who's behind them?” Scorpius asked curiously, his eyebrows furrowed.

–Well, they've mentioned Zabini multiple times, according to the letters Dad's sent me,” Albus explained. –The Auror office is all over the cases, got the whole squad out looking for the killers and kidnappers.”

–Well that's good, isn't it?” Thomas said hopefully. –Maybe they'll catch 'em soon, and Lily and Alaina and those other kids can come back.”

–They haven't had a lot of luck though, is the problem. They've been looking all over, and there's no traces. Whoever's behind it is very, very good.” Rose's tone was grim. Scorpius leaned forward slightly and whispered something in her ear, and she sighed and rested her head on his shoulder.

Classes were continued almost normally, if you ignored the fact that most teachers ended up leaving the room for one security thing or another at least once per class. The homework, of course, remained heavy as ever. The gang often spent late nights (and early mornings) in the common room, sluggishly trying to complete homework due the next day. More than once, they went to bed at nearly four a.m., so they were often slow to respond throughout the day.

–This is crap,” Thomas finally declared as they tossed aside their books one night. It was about twelve-thirty, and they were all yawning and smacking their lips and nodding slowly to sleep, only to be snapped awake by one of the others.

–You got that right, mate,” Scorpius agreed, hiding a yawn behind his hand. –I'm going to bed.”

–Right behind you,” Albus muttered, dragging his bag across the floor and up the staircase. –Night.” Rose, seated beside Scorpius, smiled softly as he kissed her forehead lightly.

–I'm going to stay up a bit longer,” she informed him, flipping a page in her Charms textbook. –I would really like to have this essay done, it's due early tomorrow. Professor Bulburry will have my head if it's late, she's taken to me in a weird way.” He nodded sleepily and retired upstairs himself, leaving only Thomas and Rose.

–How are you two holding up?” Thomas finally asked through the almost silence, besides the scratching of Rose's quill. –You and Scorpius.”

–What?” she asked, jerking her head up as if shocked. –Oh. We're good, he's a sweetheart, and I care a lot about him.” Thomas nodded, his nose twitching slightly. He felt as if they'd all felt something for Rose at one point, even Albus, though he knew he could never act on it since she was his cousin and all. It just sucked for Thomas that he fell for her again once she and Scorpius started dating. –Are you alright?”

–Yeah, I'm fine,” he said in a thick voice. He slammed his book shut. –I think I'm going to follow their examples and hit the bed too.”

–Well, alright. Goodnight.” He nodded stiffly and got to his feet, leaving her staring after him, jaw agape.

~*~


The next day brought more surprises, mostly to Thomas. They were at breakfast when, shockingly, Harry Potter, Albus' father, came striding into the hall, looking around almost in awe.

–Dad?” Albus gasped as his father reached them. –Why are you here?” His father looked uncomfortable as he leaned down to hug his son.

–Hi Albus,” he said weirdly. –I wish I could tell you more, but I've come to bring Thomas with me.”

–Me?” Thomas questioned, raising his eyebrow and getting to his feet. –Why me?”

–Can't divulge that here, son, but I'll explain it all once we get out.” Albus frowned up at his dad.

–How many more are going to be taken, Dad?” he asked softly. Harry's face twitched, but he didn't reply to his question.

–I'll see you at Christmas, Albus,” he said, ruffling his hair and pulling Thomas with him out of the hall. The entire exchange was watched by the students in the hall, and the whispers started up after he had left.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! REVIEW.
Rose by foreverandalways14
Author's Notes:
Hey hey :D This one's quite long, to make up for the last chapter. It's also chock-full of some interesting info *wiggles eyebrows*. Hope you enjoy!
–Why the hell did they take Thomas?” Rose raged that evening in the common room, where the three seemed to be spending most of their time. The other students left them alone, seeing as they were among the most popular in the school (this meant nothing to them of course) and also often quite angry about one thing or another. –He's hardly connected to them at all!”

–Sit down, love, you're making me nervous,” Scorpius said distractedly. She fixed him with a glare reminiscent of a young Hermione, and he held up his hands in surrender. –Sorry.”

–I need some air,” she growled, turning to Albus. –Can I use your cloak and map, Albus?” Harry had passed down the Invisibility Cloak, along with the Marauders' Map, to Albus in their second year, and he used it every so often to sneak into the kitchens after Quidditch games or to get out on the grounds in the evenings. She needed it for the latter right now; she felt like her head was spinning, and she was angry and felt completely isolated from the others.

–I suppose,” he said sadly, and he went upstairs to grab them. When he returned, he held them back for a moment. –Don't do anything stupid, alright?”

–It's me, Albus,” she grinned without much humor, taking the cloak and map.

–I'm coming too,” Scorpius decided, getting up from his relaxed position on the sofa.

–No thanks,” Rose said in a voice that was too close to cold, and he slowly sat in his seat again.

–Be careful.” She shrugged and walked out of the portrait hole, the other students in the silent room watching her go.

~*~

Rose managed to actually sneak out the front doors that evening, as the caretaker, Mr. Forre, had somehow managed to leave them open. She wandered down to the lake under concealment of the cloak, but removed it once she got on the shore, sitting down heavily on a large rock. The full moon reflected eerily on the still water, as did the sparkling stars.

She knew the events of recent were entwined, and she was positive that Zabini had something to do with them. Her thoughts on Thomas were still uncertain, but she believed he was removed for reasons besides Lea's family. Professor Longbottom, she had noticed, was also mysteriously absent. Perhaps something had happened to Luna.

A branch snapped behind her in a small cropping of trees, and she whipped around, but saw nothing; the area beneath the treetops was shrouded in darkness. Slowly, she faced out to the water again. Probably some sort of animal. She watched as a tentacle leaped from the water, glinting in the moonlight, and then splashed back down.

Crack! This time when she turned, she saw a human form approaching her, and she leaped to her feet and backed towards the water, her wand in her hand and the cloak abandoned on the rock.

–Show yourself!” she cried, her voice surprisingly steady. The person stepped forward into the light of the moon, revealing Ian Zabini. He was dirty, his hair matted with leaves and twigs and his clothes ripped and muddy. –Zabini!”

–You'd be smart to hold your tongue,” he hissed, slithering towards her. She felt frozen, her wand hand quaking. She wondered why she didn't cast a spell to halt him. Before she could do anything, though, he knocked her wand from her hand and slammed her into the ground. He was two years older than she and a whole lot stronger. He leaned over her face, sneering and breathing disgustingly on her skin. His hands were tight on her wrists, pressing hard against her muscles and bones. –I've got plans for you.”

–Let me go!” she whimpered, trying to kick him. She was unable to, as he had her leg pinned under his.

–I don't think so, beautiful,” he drawled, twirling her hair around his finger. –If you tell anyone that you've seen me, I'll kill you while you sleep.” She nodded hurriedly, her heart rate picking up; she knew he could feel it, their chests touching. –You're afraid? Good, you should be.” He leaned down and slammed his mouth against hers; he tasted like grass and sweat and something else she didn't want to place. He was doing it to get inside her mind, to make her freak out, and he knew he was succeeding.

–I'll be seeing you again soon,” he whispered, getting off her and stepping on her hand as he went. –Whoops.” He disappeared into the swirling shadows of the night.

Rose curled up there, on the rocky shore of the black lake, and sobbed quietly into her hands until she fell into a nightmare-infested sleep.

~*~

Rose woke up to shouts in her face. Her sand-crusted eyes twitched open and the first thing she saw was Scorpius, kneeling in the water beside her with her wand in one hand and the Invisibility Cloak in the other. The clothes she wore were wet; the waves must have soaked her while she slept. When Scorpius saw her eyes flicker, he barreled forward and enveloped her in his arms. A loud tut, tut interrupted them, and they broke apart to look up at Professor McGonagall, her expression grim.

–Ms. Weasley,” she sighed with disappointment. –I had really hoped the trouble-making ended with your parents.” She tweaked a small grin that lasted about two seconds. –Why were you out of the castle, and sleeping on the shore of the Black Lake?”

–Professor, I-” she began, but choked with a sob and fell forward onto her elbows. She heard Scorpius gasp as he saw the marks on her wrists.

–Professor, she must have met someone out here, look at her wrists,” he said quietly.

–Who did you see, Rose?” McGonagall asked, crouching before her. She shook her head, still face down, and let out another body-wracking cry. –I need you to tell me!”

–No, no, I can't,” she moaned, and she passed out there.

~*~

–Rosie, sweetheart,” a soft voice said, and Rose's eyes opened again. She saw her mother and father, seated on either side of her... bed? Yes, it was a bed. Her memory came flooding back; she had fainted. They must have moved her into the Hospital Wing and called her parents here. It was her mother who had spoken, and her mother who flung herself to her. –Oh my sweet girl, are you okay?”

–Mum?” she said groggily, inhaling the fresh scent of her mother's lilac shampoo. –Oh, Mum.” She cried into her shoulder for a few minutes, her sobs the only sound in the large, mostly-empty hall.

They heard another choked sound, and both looked to Ron, Rose's father. He was obviously trying not to cry. Rose stretched her hand to him and he took it and smiled tearfully.

–What happened, Rosie?” he asked her quietly. –The boy, Scorpius Malfoy, told us he and Professor McGonagall found you, asleep, on the shore of the Black Lake.” Hermione sat back in her chair again as Rose hung her head.

–I left the school to get some fresh air, Albus loaned me his cloak and map.” Her parents gave each other knowing looks. –And I sat on the shore for a bit. Then I fell asleep.” Her lie was obvious.

–And the marks on your wrists?” Hermione inquired carefully.

–Erm,” she muttered. –I can't tell you.”

–Why not?” Ron asked, his voice rising with anger. –If you met someone out by the lake and they left bruises on your wrists, then we need to know who it was.”

–I can't tell you!” she cried out, covering her face with her hands. –I can't tell anyone, or I'll be dead!” Footsteps echoed in the hall, and she looked up from her useless sobbing to see Scorpius, his face void of expression.

–We have to go speak with Professor McGonagall,” her mother said abruptly, stooping to kiss Rose's forehead as Scorpius had done only last night, before forcing her father to follow her from the wing. Scorpius moved beside her bed, taking her hand between his. He ran his thumb lightly over the bruises, and she winced slightly.

–Sorry,” he whispered. His mouth was a thin line.

–What is it?” she whispered back, her breath short. –You look like you're thinking about something bad.”

–It was Zabini you saw, wasn't it?” Her lack of an answer confirmed it. –Thought so. There's... something you have to know... about him.” Her heart started beating angrily again. What could possibly be so important?

–Go on,” she urged him.

He sighed deeply, drawing breath from the recesses of his lungs. –I stay at my grandfather's home during the summers, with my mother and father.” Rose nodded; she knew this. –And sometimes, my grandfather has... people over. Bad people.” Rose's nose twitched without her realizing it. What was he saying? –Like Zabini and his father, Blaise. And... others. Death Eaters.” He said the last words at an almost silent whisper. Rose shook her head viciously; it wasn't true. –Babe, my father doesn't take part in them, I don't think, nor my mother. But my grandfather has tried to make me attend. I refuse, I always refuse.” Rose's mind was spinning; what did this mean? Was Lucius trying to reform the Death Eaters?

–I have to tell someone,” she muttered, swinging her legs off the bed on the side opposite of Scorpius. She was in a hospital gown, but it was fully concealing and comfortable. Ignoring Scorpius' protests, she padded from the hall, barefoot. She knew that her family would be in Headmistress' office, so she headed there. Scorpius didn't try to follow her.

When she got there, the way up was locked, so she sat before the staircase on the cold stone floor to wait.

Finally, voices drifted out to her, and her parents and Professor McGonagall came down, then stopped when they saw her.

–Rose Weasley!” McGonagall cried in shock. –Why did you leave the Hospital Wing unaccompanied?” She got to her feet.

–I need to talk to you, Dad,” she said, ignoring McGonagall, something she never did, –and Uncle Harry.” There was a slight raising of eyebrows at this, but no argument. All three turned on their heels and, beckoning to her, stepped back onto the staircase. She leaped on as well, just as it began to ascend. When they reached the top, McGonagall stooped by the fire and threw in some Floo Powder, then shouted the name –Harry Potter.” It showed Grimmauld Place, which Harry and Ginny had cleaned up well and decided to use as their home. Harry was seated on the couch, reading the Daily Prophet, but looked up at the roar of the fire.

–Minerva!” he shouted in surprise, launching himself over an armchair and crouching before the fireplace. –And is that Hermione and Ronald I see? And Rose?” His expression switched from joyful surprise to barely masked curiosity. –Why the serious faces?”

–Do you think you could come to here, Harry?” McGonagall said in a flat voice. Realizing a problem, Harry stepped into the green fire, then circled into the fireplace of Hogwarts, coughing.

–I really do hate traveling by Floo Powder,” he sighed. –What's the problem?” Rose had taken a seat in one of McGonagall's overstuffed armchairs, her face drained of color. –Rose?”

–You and Dad are Aurors, Uncle Harry, so there're things you can do, right?” she said sheepishly. Half-smiling, Harry nodded, bending beside Rose; Ron followed suit. –There's something you two have to know, about Lucius Malfoy.” Harry's eyebrow raised high on his forehead.

–Lucius?” he said in a surprised tone. –What about him? I haven't heard of him in years.”

–I'm... dating Scorpius,” she said, ignoring the shocked expressions on her family's faces. –and he's told me something, something important.”

–Well don't beat around the bush, Rosie, tell us,” Ron urged, deciding to skip over relationship until later and trying to keep his face as passive as possible.

–He said that his grandfather still has people around their manor,” she explained softly. –Bad people. Blaise and Ian Zabini, along with others. Death Eaters.” The way she spoke mimicked the tone Scorpius had spoken with.

–I want Scorpius Malfoy brought here now,” Harry commanded of McGonagall, and the Headmistress nodded and hurried from the room. –Expecto Patronum!” Harry cast his Patronus, and a large silvery stag erupted from the end of his wand. –Discovered information of Death Eater action, currently at Hogwarts. Send one or two more Aurors.” He whispered something else, and the stag galloped away, out the door of the office. Ron was cursing loudly, back on his feet again. Hermione just looked shock, staring slack-jawed at her daughter, who was refusing to look in her eyes.

The door banged open, and Professor McGonagall forced Scorpius to sit in the chair alongside Rose's. She avoided his eyes as well.

–Scorpius Malfoy,” Harry said, leaning down in front of him. –Rose here has told us some interesting news about your family. Care to elaborate?”

Gulping, Scorpius squared his shoulders. –I have nothing to be ashamed of, I have done nothing, and I don't mind getting my family in trouble,” he said in a quivering voice. –My grandfather Lucius often has groups of people to his manor in the summer when we visit, people like Zabini and Vincent Crabbe and his son, Rowyn, who's in Slytherin here, seventh year.” Harry nodded, writing down things on a pad of paper. –My grandfather's tried to make me join them, but I never do, but I do eavesdrop. They do intend to reform the Death Eaters and uphold Voldemort's old ways, killing and slaughtering and wrecking havoc. Professor Jamus was a Muggle-Born, wasn't he?”
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! (I have some kind of premonition that ron was meant to have been co-working at WWW with George, but I decided to make him an Auror anyways!) AS ALWAYS REVIEW THIS NOW, I COMMANDITH THOU.
Albus by foreverandalways14
Author's Notes:
Gosh, it's been a while!!! I submitted the chapter a while ago, but it was screwy and was denied, so I like, went back and completely redid it. Sorry it's quite short.
Albus was curled up in an armchair in the Gryffindor Common Room, waiting for some kind of news about Rose. It was about 5:30 p.m., and soon he'd be forced to head to dinner with no news at all. Just as he decided to stand up, though, the portrait hole swung open to reveal his father and his Uncle Ron. The other kids (most of the House) in the Common Room gaped at them, seeing as they were among two of the most famous wizards. Upon spotting his son leaning over the back of his chair, Harry waved, which Albus returned half-heartedly.

–Hello, you all,” Harry said in a loud voice. –Gosh, it feels weird to be back in here after some twenty-odd years.” Ron nodded agreeably beside him, looking around. –We've come to make an announcement on behalf of the Ministry and the school.”

–As I'm sure you're all aware, a professor was murdered here by a young boy named Ian Zabini,” Ron spoke up. There were some dark mutterings at the name. –We've decided that, for the safety of you all, and in the honor of full disclosure, it's better we give you all the truth on the situation.”

–An alliance of Death Eaters has begun to form again,” Harry said next, his last words almost drowned out by cries and shouts of fear from the students. –Quiet, please!”

–To maintain a good environment,” Ron shouted over the slowly decreasing noise, –the school will remain opened until further notice.”

–We will be placing Aurors in the school and on the grounds to protect the students and faculty,” Harry explained. –They will be here, around the clock, on an assigned rotation. Thank you, and I suggest you all go back to your homework or whatever it was you were doing.” He gave them a knowing smile as he and Ron turned to leave.

–Dad!” Albus yelped, barreling out of his seat and after his father and uncle. They turned back right outside the portrait, which Albus followed them out of and closed behind him. –Where's Rose? And Scorpius?” Ron and Harry glanced at each other.

–Well, Rose is currently resting in the hospital wing,” Harry said slowly. –And Scorpius...”

–Yes?” Albus urged when his father paused his sentence. –Has he been hurt? Am I able to talk to him?”

–He's currently under investigation,” Harry said finally. Albus looked shocked.

–But why?!” Albus cried. –He has nothing to do with the Death Eaters! He never would join them, ever!”

–Albus, Albus, calm down,” Harry hissed, crouching before his son. –He's not under suspicion of taking part in the Death Eaters' plans, but he is a witness to their meetings and such and can possibly give us inside information about their plots.” Albus nodded and hugged his father. –Don't worry, son, I'll be around. As Head of the Auror Office, I'll be remaining here for a good while, until things settle down again. Professor McGonagall is going to give me a room here to help keep an eye out.”

–Your mother's going to stay with Hermione and I while Harry's here,” Ron piped up.

–And if you'd like,” Harry added, –you can go visit Rosie in the hospital.” Nodding, Albus hugged his uncle as well, fleetingly, then tore off in the direction of the hospital wing.”
~*~
–Albus!” Rose exclaimed as Albus bounded into the Wing. –I was wondering when you were going to come visit me on my sickbed.”

–Sorry,” he sighed, taking the seat on the left of her bed. –We weren't allowed to leave the Common Room.”

–Really?” she said with a tone of surprise. –Hugo was just in here, but he left to go down to eat dinner.”

–Maybe it's cause he's your brother?” Albus said sarcastically, and she stuck her tongue out at him.

–Don't tease me,” she said with a small smile.

–So are you going to tell me what happened to you?” he inquired, scooting closer to her. Her face fell.

–I can't tell anyone,” she whispered, gathering her covers in her fists. Albus glanced at her wrists, then did a double take.

–Are those... hand marks?” he cried, getting to his feet and standing beside her. –Did you see someone while you were out there?” She burst into tears.

–It was Zabini, Albus,” she gasped. –And now he's going to kill me because I wasn't supposed to tell.” She leaned over and sobbed. Unsure of what he was supposed to do, he wrapped his arm around her quaking shoulder, and she rested her cheek on his chest. The doors of the Hospital banged open, revealing the rest of their extended family, undoubtedly to give their sympathies to Rose.

Albus sat back down in his chair with a sigh as the scarily-large group of family spoke to Rose, who had hidden her hands under her blankets; it was going to be a very long evening.
~*~
Scorpius returned to his classmates sooner than expected, only a day after he was taken. He and Albus sat up late in the Common Room the night he was released to discuss happenings.

–How come you never spoke up before?” Albus said, close to livid. Scorpius gave him a glare.

–I didn't make much out of it.” He leaned forward and folded his hands in his lap, his jaw hard. –My grandfather is a loser, just like my father. They were both completely disgraced when the war ended. Allowed to remain out of Azkaban, obviously, but still disliked. I didn't think that Lucius would ever be able to make anything happen again.”

–But he obviously has,” Albus pointed out. –and he has Zabini and his dad on his side, plus who knows how many others?” His fist flexed nervously.

–I know, I know.” Scorpius buried his face in his hands. –And my girlfriend's been harmed because of it. How can I stop hating myself for not telling anyone?” Albus grimaced, reached out to pat his friend on his shoulder.

–They're your family mate, whether you like them or not. You probably feel at least a tiny obligation to 'em. But what matters is that you told Rose, who was able to get it to my father and her father.” He smiled, and Scorpius lifted just his eyes from his hands.

–I suppose so.” His eyes crinkled. –I want Rose to come back.”

–Me too,” Albus sighed, leaning back in his chair. –Me too.”

And she did come back, though not as soon as expected. She went home for a week to be with her parents and aunt, to rest up and get back into a good mind set. When she returned, she was quiet often, and only spoke to teachers and, less often, Albus and Scorpius.

Finally, when Albus and Rose sat down together in the Great Hall for dinner, while Scorpius was assisting Professor Bulburry with sorting books, Albus pounced on her.

–You can't ignore us, Rose,” Albus told her. She glanced at him from staring at her potatoes, looked away again.

–I'm not trying to ignore you,” she said softly. –I'm just... tired, and nervous, and worried. I'm so afraid that Ian will show up again.” Albus deflated, any anger he was feeling melting away.

–Rose...” He said, resting his hand on her arm. She faced him, her blue eyes already swimming with tears. –We're both worried for you, Scorpius and I. You've withdrawn into yourself, and I just don't think it's safe. You've become a shell, and I'm scared you're just going to break soon.” His eyebrow went up comically. –And Scorpius is just horny with longing for you.” She couldn't help but chuckle at his unexpected comment.

–Thank you, Albus,” she murmured, smiling for the first time in weeks. –I'll try to be better. Just don't let me wander off on my own again, alright?” Albus nodded and returned her smile, relieved.

–You're going to have to say something big to Scorpius, I might add,” he said to her, stirring up his small bowl of stew. –He's worried you want to break up with him.” Her mouth set into a line, and her eyes widened a bit. –You don't, do you...?” He ate a spoonful of his food.

–Well,” she muttered, poking her steak with her fork. –I was considering it.” Albus choked, coughing vigorously. Rose looked shocked for a moment before he sat up again, eyes watering with pain.

–You're joking!” he cried, rubbing his eyes.

–He kept it from me, Albus!” she whimpered. –He could have told us about his granddad anytime in the last four years, and he didn't! He endangered all by keeping it to himself, and he bloody well knows it! I mean, I lo-” She blinked, then pushed on. –I love him, but I don't know if I can trust him now.” Albus frowned.

–It's up to you,” he amended. –But I hope you know it's going to kill him.”
End Notes:
review, guys, you know the rule. :)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=90703