Why Crookshanks? by Snidgetgirl
Summary: Have you ever wondered why Hermione picked Crookshanks over all of the other adorable cats in the store? Needless to say, you will find out by reading!
Read and review, please! I like to hear from you all!
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 825 Read: 2133 Published: 12/29/11 Updated: 01/03/12
Story Notes:
Hey! This is my first fanfic, so I hope you like it! I didn't use the exact dialogue that was used in this chapter of PoA, so it's a bit different. Please feel free to leave criticism in the reviews box, I want to be able to get better at writing fanfics

1. Why Crookshanks? by Snidgetgirl

Why Crookshanks? by Snidgetgirl
Author's Notes:
This is just a little thing I thought way too deeply about the other day when I had nothing to do, but, regardless, I hope you like it!
Disclaimer: I am not, nor ever will I be, J.K Rowling. I am just borowing her magical world. This is my very first fic, so pretty please with a chocolate frog on top, review! I need to improve my writing. And just think, by leaving a review, you improve my writing style, and in turn, are changing the world! How could you pass up such an opportunity? (*snorts at this massive rationalization* )
It was the last day before the start of term for Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and myself, Hermione Granger. We would soon be Gryffindor third years, and so we were finishing off our last minute Hogwarts shopping. Earlier, Ron had expressed the need to get Scabbers, his pet rat, checked over. He did seem to be a bit sick. He never seemed to poke his little head out of Ron's shirt pocket anymore, and he seemed jumpy. Well, more jumpy than usual, I should say. He is a rat afterall. So, we were headed in the direction of the Magical Menagerie.

We walked up to the front door and opened it. The little bells inside the door tinkled as we all stepped in. I didn't think that so many magical creatures could have fit into this room so nicely, but somehow, they did. There were little dancing rats, little pink and purple Pygmy Puffs and the most wonderful assortment of kittens. There were black and white ones, pure black ones, and even grey ones with white paws. Oh, I just want one of those kittens! It would be nice to have an owl though. Then I could finally stop having to find the Hogwarts ones to send all of my letters. Right. Stop distracting yourself with the cute kittens, Hermione. You came here for an ow, I thought to myself. I moved up in the line with Harry and Ron, and the witch in front of us was finished with the owner. I was vaguely aware of Ron asking about Scabbers, and the owner making her recomendations. I was looking all over the store for the owls. When I finally spotted the corner with the owls in it, I studied them. They all looked proud and able to deliver my letters, but my eyes kept wandering back to the owner's front desk. Sitting on a shelf above her was a very old looking cat. He was ginger, with a squashed looking face, and as he stretched, he appeared to have bandy legs. Poor cat. Nobody ever wants to buy a full-grown cat. Everyone goes for the kittens, I thought to myself.

As I was examining the ginger cat, I saw his eyes slit, and his whiskers twitch as he leaned in closer to the front desk where Scabbers was. I watched him warily, expecting the worst. He jumped down from his shelf, and pounced on Scabbers.

–Ah! Get off my rat!” Ron yelled as he an Harry ran out the door after the rapidly retreating Scabbers. The witch at the counter heaved a sigh.

–Poor old Crookshanks. He's never been picked. No one ever liked him when he was a kitten. Thought he was ugly, they all did. And now that he's full grown, he's likely to never get to have an owner,” she said sadly to me.

I helped her restrain Crookshanks, and put him back on his shelf. While we did this, I felt very sorry for the poor cat. He never had anyone love him, or take a liking to him. Just because of the way he looked. I mean, he seems like a very clever cat. Poor Crookshanks reminds me of myself. We both were a little different. He and his squashed face, and me and my bushy hair and knowledge. What if Harry and Ron had never saved me from the troll back in our first year? Would I still have no friends? Would I be in much the same situation as this poor cat? I can't even imagine what life would be like if I still had no friends. All this poor cat needs is someone to love him, and make him feel special. I know what I need to do now, and that doesn't involve purchasing an owl, I thought inwardly.

–You know what? I think I'll buy Crookshanks. All he really needs is someone to love him. How much is he?” I told the owner. She looked very shocked. Her expression towards me changed, as if it had softened.

–Oh, will you dear? That is just beautiful. You're completely right. All he needs is some love and affection. He's seven galleons, dear,” she told me lovingly.

Yes, I thought to myself, I know for a fact that everyone needs someone to make them feel special. I remember when I needed a friend, and Harry and Ron were there for me. I want to be there for him.

–Here, I'll get you a basket to carry him in, and for him to sleep in.” the owner said as she bustled around looking for a basket.

I paid her the seven galleons, and she gave me Crookshanks, and the cat basket to carry him in. I said goodbye to the owner, and strolled happily out of the shop. To do the exact thing that had been done for me by Harry and Ron made me feel wonderful and complete.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Was it good? Was it bad? Leave a comment! Criticism is welcome and needed!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=90777