A Werewolf at Hogwarts by LoonyLupin
Summary: Our favorite werewolf had the time of his life with the Marauders. But what did it take for him to get entrance into Hogwarts, and what did his friends say when they found out about his "furry little problem"?

Can be read as a sequel to "The First Howl", but it stands on its own, too.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1536 Read: 2790 Published: 01/02/12 Updated: 01/15/12

1. Part 1 by LoonyLupin

Part 1 by LoonyLupin
Three years after his first transformation, Remus had adjusted to being outside when the full moon was up, but that didn’t mean he enjoyed being a werewolf. In wolf form, he felt vicious. He’d probably killed about fifty animals in the forest by now. In human form, however, he was counting down the days until he would finally take his first journey to Hogwarts. What house would he get sorted into? He was hoping for Gryffindor, as his father had been placed there. On the other hand, his mother had been in Ravenclaw. Either house would satisfy him.

Remus was expecting a letter from Hogwarts, listing all the materials he needed for the term. Coming to dinner one August day, he saw that his father was holding one. Remus eagerly walked up to him. –Is that for me?”

–Yes,” his father replied in a sad voice, –and I’m afraid it’s not your Hogwarts letter.” He gave the letter to his son. Surely enough, his name was on the front. But the envelope wasn’t bearing the Hogwarts seal.

Remus opened it and began to read.

Dear Mr. Remus Lupin,

As you know, you are now of the age to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Congratulations! However, we have also gained knowledge that you are not entirely human. Werewolves are dangerous to any creature they come in contact with. We fear that you would pose a threat to the students of Hogwarts, and so it is with deepest regret that we prohibit you from entering the school grounds. You must find an alternative way to receive your magical education.
Best wishes,


The Ministry of Magic


Remus sat down, crestfallen. –I knew I had to stay away from people when I’m a wolf, but I had no idea it would keep me from Hogwarts!” He couldn’t help but start crying, just as his mother entered the room.

–What’s wrong, sweetheart?” Remus handed her the letter. After reading it, she wrapped her arms around her son. –Oh, Remus. We should have told you this might happen.”

–It’s not fair!” he exclaimed indignantly. –Wasn’t it bad enough that I could kill either of you accidentally?”

–Believe me, I feel your anger,” his father said.

–You don’t know how I feel!” Remus yelled.

–You’d be surprised how much I understand you,” Mr. Lupin argued. –The werewolf who changed you, Fenrir Greyback… well, you could say I know him.”

–Wait!” Mrs. Lupin interrupted nervously. –Are you sure you want to tell Remus about this?”

–Tell me what?” Remus asked out of curiosity.

His father took a deep breath. –You were going to find out eventually, so it’s best that you hear it from me. Greyback knew what he was doing when he bit you. I said some terrible things to him once, and that is how he paid me back. It’s my fault you’re a werewolf. And he didn’t bite you alone. You see… I was also one of his victims."

Remus was shocked. –You’re a werewolf, too?”

Mr. Lupin nodded grimly.

–But... you never go outside when I do to transform,” Remus reasoned. –Where do you go at the full moon, then?”

–Our cellar. I’d be mad to go outside with you because we could both be so harmful to one another.” This made perfect sense to his son, but he was still angry.

–At least you didn’t get bitten until after you went to Hogwarts,” Remus mumbled. Then he went to his room without eating dinner.

A week later, another letter arrived. This time, it was from Hogwarts.

Dear Mr. Remus Lupin,

I was told about your situation, and I am rather upset that the Ministry has banned you from attending Hogwarts. I, personally, did not see why we couldn’t accommodate you in the best way we can. So I contacted the Ministry to fix the matter. At this moment, we are creating a habitat in which you’ll stay during every full moon night. Otherwise, you’ll be treated like every other student and live in the dormitories. I look forward to meeting you on the first of September!
Sincerely,


Albus Dumbledore
Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry


Remus gave out a loud whoop of joy. His parents cheered along with him. School would begin in just two weeks! There was so much to do. So much to pack! He realized how lucky he was, so he sent an owl to Dumbledore with a letter of appreciation. He didn’t realize just how many obstacles were still to come.

The day after Remus arrived at Hogwarts (having been happily sorted into Gryffindor), he was shown the place that would be his werewolf abode for the next seven years. He thought Dumbledore had been clever with this: a tree covered the entrance, a tree that would smack anyone who dared try to enter. He only had to press a hole in the tree to stop the branches from moving. Under the tree was a passage to a wooden shack. It contained a flight of stairs. On the top floor lay a mattress and pillows. It wasn’t fancy, but Remus kept in mind, I’ll just rip apart everything in here.

Over the next year, he made friends with many of his fellow Gryffindors, but there were three people who stood out to him. There was James Potter, a boy with jet-black hair and (Remus had to admit) a rather cocky demeanor. Sirius Black had a mane of hair that reminded Remus of a dog, but he was fairly more humble than James. Another boy named Peter Pettigrew had started to trail them around. His face was, unarguably, similar to a rat’s. Remus didn’t mind his company, and he thought that James and Sirius were being too hard on him. They kept trying to leave Peter in the dust, yet Remus always convinced them not to. If anything, he could understand Peter’s need to fit in. Remus planned on revealing his secret to him first. That is, if he ever had the courage. Gryffindors were prized for their bravery, but this was a unique exception. He thought, what would they think of being friends with a werewolf? Will they still want to be my friend? Will they always run at the sight of me?

Near the end of his second year, Remus found himself alone with Peter in their dormitory. If there was any time to speak up, it would be now.

–Peter, how much do you know about werewolves?”

Peter gave his friend a look of surprise. –Well, I know that they only-”

–Remus!” James and Sirius had burst into the dorm. –We were just wondering something,” Sirius began.

–Where do you go on the nights that you’re not asleep in your bed?” James sounded as though he’d been wanting to ask this for ages.

–I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Remus answered, not daring to look him in the eye. –I always sleep here.”

–Then why have I seen you out by the Whomping Willow with Madame Pomfrey?”

–Yeah!” Sirius agreed. –And more specifically, every full moon night?”

–What were you two doing out of bed?” Remus tried to argue.

–Answer our question!” demanded James. –We’re not stupid. We’ve paid attention to the signs.” He rattled off each symptom with his fingers. –You’re absent during the full moon. You’re ill for days afterwards. And let’s not forget the scars on your face. Are you, or are you not, a werewolf?”

That did it. Remus was cornered. They’d already figured it out for themselves.

He breathed deeply. –It’s true. I was bitten about four years ago.”

Peter raised his eyebrows. –Were you just about to tell me this before they came in?”

Remus nodded. His friends fell silent as they processed the news. He fell onto his bed, covering the back of his head with his pillow, wishing for nothing more than to take a nap. Sirius tapped him on the shoulder.

–I promise, we won’t tell.”

Remus poked his head out from under the pillow. –You’re still talking to me?”

–Of course.”

James spoke next. –So what if you have a furry little problem?” Remus chuckled. He'd never heard of his condition referred to in such a funny way. –I think it’s kind of cool.”

Remus shot dagger eyes at James. Does he really think it's cool to be a potential murderer?

–Sorry… I mean, it sets you apart from anyone I’ve ever met.”

–It doesn’t change anything for me, either,” said Peter. –Were you thinking that we’d leave you alone?”

Remus watched the faces of each boy and knew the answer. They were never going to abandon him.

–How can I ever thank you enough?” he said in earnest. That was all he could manage to say without crying.

–Well, you could always do our homework for us,” Sirius joked.

Remus gave a sarcastic laugh. There was nothing like friendship at this moment.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=90802