The Marauders and the Rise of Darkness by Theophilos
Summary: Remus Lupin, James Potter, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew have always looked forward to their first year at Hogwarts, but life at school isn't quite what they expected. Can Remus keep his dark secret safe from his disquietingly observant friends? Can Sirius reject his family's traditions and survive their wrath? Is Peter a competent wizard, and can he prove it to demanding professors? And how will James ever keep his unlikely group of friends together in the face of tattletale girls, scheming Slytherins, and the growing rumours about the rise of a new Dark wizard?
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 739 Read: 1270 Published: 03/28/12 Updated: 04/09/12

1. Prologue by Theophilos

Prologue by Theophilos
Prologue


Armando Dippet had been a learned scholar, a wise and good man, and a respected and well-loved teacher. His thirty-six years as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry had been fruitful and prosperous, and his loss was mourned throughout Wizarding Britain and the entire Wizarding world. He died in the spring of 1970, of old age, in the knowledge that he had lived a long and wonderful life and made a true difference in the lives of his students.

Jonathan and Isabel Lupin were kind people, and it had never crossed their minds to rejoice at anyone’s death - until now.

Throughout the next summer and the academic year following Armando Dippet’s death, a long series of owls flew the route between the Lupins’ home just outside London and the castle deep in Scotland. A procession of kind-faced Healers and dry, stuffy scholars and grim Ministry officials paraded into the Headmaster’s office, or into the Lupin parlour, or both, armed with statistics and speculation and studies, until young Remus Lupin found it quite impossible to concentrate on his schoolwork. And in the spring of 1971, during Hogwarts’s Easter holidays, new Headmaster Albus Dumbledore followed his owls and paid the Lupins a visit.

He sipped tea with Isabel until Jonathan got home from work, his resplendent purple-and-silver robes and long beard looking extraordinarily out of place in the neat, slightly shabby living room. Remus Lupin, newly eleven years old, sat on the carpet just outside the door with his thin arms clasped around his thin knees and listened to the vague adult murmurings issuing from within for the better part of an hour, and then he came in when summoned and tried to meet Dumbledore’s piercing gaze and answer his piercing questions at the same time. His parents sat on the faded floral sofa and held hands and were very nervous and very proud.

Then it was over and everything was settled and the arrangements were made and Remus found himself shaking hands with Dumbledore - Dumbledore’s grip was very strong - and Dumbledore smiled a smile that was even kinder than a Healer’s, and said, –You may expect your letter this July, Mr. Lupin, and I know Hogwarts will only be benefited by your presence.”

–Only be benefited”? Albus Dumbledore was famous for giving everyone a chance, for trusting where others would doubt. His admirers spoke of his generosity and purity of spirit, and his detractors muttered about rose-coloured glasses and dangerous idealism. It is hard to say whether he was right in this instance; it is certain that Remus would never forget those gentle, earnest words, and never stop wondering whether that was when everything began to go wrong.

The only post Remus ever received was a birthday card now and then from his Muggle relatives, delivered by a uniformed Muggle postman. His Hogwarts letter came tied to the leg of a pretty barn owl, and it was addressed to –Mr. R. Lupin, The East Upstairs Bedroom…” which was a great novelty. The letter itself was apparently handwritten (a spell, Jonathan assured him) on thick, creamy parchment in emerald green ink, and it smelled of smoke and books and spices. Isabel was quite as excited as Remus, never having seen a Hogwarts letter or indeed Hogwarts itself. –It’s a pity I’m too old,” she said regretfully.

–And… you know… not magic,” said Jonathan. Remus laughed, and Isabel swatted her husband with a newspaper.

Dumbledore visited again one evening in August to go over all the safety precautions once more. –…and the staff have been informed, of course,” he concluded. –I do not pretend that they are all entirely pleased, but I trust they will try to move beyond their prejudices.

–Mr. Lupin, I have something very important to ask of you,” he said, leaning forward and looking Remus in the eye. –I do not generally advise deceit, but I must ask you not to share your secret with any of your fellow students, even your friends.”

It was so ridiculous, the grave expression on Dumbledore’s lined face and his serious tone, that Remus almost laughed. –Of course I won’t!” he said. –I want to have friends.” And that was that. Dumbledore smiled, although perhaps his smile was a little sad as he stood up and looked out the window at the waxing moon.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=91317