Waiting for Morning by Writ Encore
Summary: Elphinstone Urquart doesn't listen to sense, or rejection, because he's seeking an answer. One that sounds good to his ears.

Dedication: For Etsuko, my Japanese spirit.

For Ruth, James’s Ruthie, who taught me to read.

And, to the old man who just left us, James, who introduced me to Ernest Hemingway and said I belong with the girls in the Roaring Twenties. I walked the wrong road.

And, lastly, to my friend, Akay (padfootpatronus), who has held my hand through all of it. I love you all and miss you all.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 5827 Read: 2555 Published: 05/05/12 Updated: 06/04/12

1. Chapter 1: The Other Woman by Writ Encore

2. Chapter 2: The Kiss by Writ Encore

Chapter 1: The Other Woman by Writ Encore
Life seemed simple. An illusion, of course, yet we lack control of time; folks enter the world the same way they leave it. Elphinstone’s father, flying with the spirits, passed down this advice when he was a small boy, and again when he went to school, and thrice when he came of age. Word for word, the man never deterred from the message, not that his only son let them slip from his mind. The drink brewed and rooted the memories.

He stared at the ceiling and laced the silk sheets through his fingers. An owl had flown out of the open window after he received payment for his services. The day’s newspaper lay on a pillow on the other side of the bed; a crumpled sheet of parchment lay next to it. The covers had been yanked free of wrinkles. The wax from the spent candle dripped on the surface of the bedside cabinet. His cloak hung over the open door of the armoire. He listened to the woman gathering her things in the room, and watched her reflection in the mirror as she tied her dark hair back and hooked the back of an earring.

”Yes?” Minerva met his gaze.

–His son was born last night, at three in the morning,” he said, picking up the hurried announcement. –She wrote this. Where was he?”

–Mr. Crouch?” She shook her head and draped a fine emerald green travelling cloak over her arm. The black box and tissue paper lay on the floor. –In his office.”

”In his office,” said Elphinstone, overriding her guess. Contempt filled his tone.

–We discussed this last night.” She reminded him of this with a sad smile as she checked the time. –Don’t look at me like that. She married him for his name, and Kathryn got what she deserved. I’m sorry. You told her not to marry him. He’ll ruin her. He’ll break her until there’s nothing but pieces. Congratulations.”

–Well!” Elphinstone gaped at Minerva, taken aback by her harshness. As far as he knew, she had never met Mrs. Crouch. He got out of the bed and stepped into the bathroom. He got ready for the day and walked back into the room combing his dark hair. He shrugged it off. He took his cloak off the armoire and fastened it around his neck. –In all fairness, not that I’m jumping to his defense, because I’m not,” he conceded in a rush, –but admit it. She’s a beautiful woman.”

Minerva parted her lips to speak, yet she fell silent when she heard hurried footsteps on the ancient creaking staircase. They heard voices. One was an unmistakably croak of the old barman, Mitch, and the other was a woman’s. The door opened before either Elphinstone or Minerva had time to cross the room. Mitch stood there furious, still in his bed things, his hair shooting in all directions. He held his blonde-haired little girl in his arms. A black woman dressed in long satin robes plastered a wicked smile on her face.

Elphinstone cursed under his breath. His heart dropped into his stomach.

–I couldn’t do nothing.” Mitch waved his free hand at his uninvited guest. –She just – you handle her.”

Elphinstone almost pointed out to Mitch that he owned the Three Broomsticks; so, technically, the man could do whatever he pleased with the establishment. He stopped short. The woman invited herself into the room and sat on the ruffled covers. She crossed her legs. One of her heels swung off her foot and he caught a whiff of her perfume, an expensive catch, as she passed.

–Mitchell!” Elphinstone rounded on the barman as the proprietor fled downstairs. He slammed the door. He flatly ignored introductions and froze at the sight of these two women. –I’m in hell.”

–I’m his wife,” said the woman, holding out her hand. –Aren’t you a professor? You’ve been keeping him company?”

–Beautiful woman,” said Minerva,, speaking to herself. She slapped Elphinstone’s hand way from the door handle and wretched it open. She left.

–Wait.” Elphinstone fled after her and fell after she snatched her arm away. –You don’t understand. She’s – she’s nothing!”

Minerva laughed. She stopped at the bar and glared at Mitch. The place was empty, for it was just after six in the morning. Chairs swept of the ground and settled themselves on top of the polished tables. Rosmerta, the little girl, held out her arms to her father, and Mitch picked her up and settled on his bar.

–I knew nothing.” He feigned innocence, lying through his teeth. Mitch flattered under her stern glare and amended his part bit by bit. –All right, maybe I knew of her, but everyone has.”

–Mitchell!” Elphinstone threw up his hands in a gesture of surrender. Elphinstone acted as though the woman were invisible as she joined them. –Minerva, hear me, I beg you.”

–‘Rule One: Honesty, we expect it all times. Rule Two: Undying commitment: that’s a given. Rule Three: Faith, because we’re together in this, all of us, always. Enough said.’” Minerva spun around and threw the decrees Elphinstone crafted himself with the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. She nodded, seeing she hit her mark. She draped the cloak over her shoulders and threw a black jewellery box in the air. Mitchell called after her, but she left and started down High Street.

Elphinstone caught the box and hung his head.

–She’s always like that?” asked Mitch.

–Shut up, Alyson.” Elphinstone stopped the woman before she opened her mouth. She had no right to throw accusations. Alyson Zabini played with men like marionettes’ they played to her pleasures until she drained them and left them alone. She’d been married four or five times last time he’d checked; Elphinstone Urquhart had foolishly been her first, trapped into an arranged marriage. She kept her name in every hand she played. –What do you want?”

–I’m surprised.” She walked behind the bar and helped herself to a drink or two. –Well, boys, reminds you of our cherished wedding, eh? Mitchell was a poor choice for your best man, my darling.”

–That’s mine?” Mitch recovered first and held out his hand for the half empty bottle. He put his daughter down. –Rosmerta, get Dad’s keys in the cellar. Go on.”

–Cute.” Alyson patted Rosmerta’s passed as she passed her. –Where’s my money, Elphinstone? My alimony, I want it.”

Mitch wasted no time with this one. He fired off every name in the book. Elphinstone thought he hardened his daughter early, prepping her for the pub, because she certainly wasn’t out of ear shot. The folks in the village, even those at the post office, would have caught this rant. Mitchell had been his best friend since their school days, and he was quicker to anger. Elphinstone let him have it and ran for cover with Rosmerta in the cellar. The temperature dropped considerably as he went underground. The stone walls gave the place a dreary air.

–Hi.” Rosemerta smiled at him and glanced at the ceiling. –He’s really angry. You want something?”

–Dad fights my battles.” He kissed her on the cheek and shook his head. –I don’t drink, remember? Morning, my love. Where’s your mother? At market?”

–Yes. She says you’ll kill yourself; she says you’re a fool.” Rosmerta might be a child, but she presented herself as a young woman because of her father’s crowd and quoted like a parakeet. –She says -”

–-Elphinstone’s an idiot for chasing after a girl who clearly doesn’t want him.” He took care of the criticism for her. Rosmerta nodded vigorously, making her ears flap in front of her curls. He scooped her up and locked the wine cellar. He tossed her into the air. –Mitchell needs to find you a new hobby. Listening at doors!”

Rosmerta squealed with happiness and caught the keys. Elphinstone kissed her and played with her hair. He didn’t know how long they were down there, but the barman’s daughter had enough time to reel off the wine list and recite a blend of gillywater. The door slammed hard. Mitchell came into his cellar and plopped himself on the bottom stair.

–We have to burn that bitch to the ground!” Mitchell took out his pipe and took a long drag.


–Delicate ears!” Elphinstone cupped his hands over Rosemerta’s ears. –You heard that, love?”

Rosmerta nodded, giggling at her father’s fiery insult.

–She’s been censored for a while.” Mitchell shrugged. –Seriously, though, she owes me sixty Galleons. Sixty-two, really. That was a good bottle.”

–Here.” Elphinstone took a pouch out of his inside pocket and tossed it to him. He pocketed the ring.

–Give up. She don’t want you.” Mitchell spoke softer to his friend. –No means no.”

–No.” Elphinstone made his mind up long ago. –Not her. Not yet.”

Elphinstone kissed Rosmerta good-bye and escaped before the breakfast crowd wondered into the pub for a bite. The quiet had left High Street and it looked as though the place had been taken over by a flock of birds. Students swarmed into the shops and ran around with their friends. Elphinstone clapped his hand on his forehead; he had forgotten about the students coming into Hogsmeade Village. Was it already Saturday? No wonder Minerva worried about getting back. The kids swarmed into Honeydukes like angry bees. Elphinstone ducked into the shop to pick up an forgotten order. Within minutes, he was out of there and walking along the street.

He spotted her emerald cloak and followed her close. When she finally close to acknowledge him, which was some time because he refused to drop his plea, Minerva acted like a stranger towards him. He thrust the tin into her arms.

–Thank you, Mr. Urquhart, sir,” she said, keeping a hand on a student’s shoulder and steering him away from the temptation of the Hog’s Head.

Sir! She hadn’t called him that in years. So they were back to that, were they?

–I forgot them,” he admitted, avoiding her eyes,

–Ah.” She looked as though she wanted to say something else, but she eyed the student. Elphinstone wanted to thank the boy for inadvertently saving him a wound. –Good day.”

–I’m sorry.” He spoke to his shoes.

–I’m sure you are,” she said coolly. She watched the boy head into the Three Broomsticks and failed to ignore his endless apologies. She looked left and right, making sure the coast was clear before she dropped her demeanour. –No. I asked you. I asked you!”

She was right. She had asked him, passed it off as a joke, if he had a wife when they’d first met. She’d been shy about making a move then, too. She wouldn’t admit it, but he knew she had left the Ministry because of their relationship.

–I’m not married!” He took her face in his hands and kissed her. –You love me.”

–It’s not -that’s not it. You’re married? Lovely. You know when you should’ve mentioned that? Let me help you figure that out!” Her voice screeched as her anger escalated. She lowered her voice and took breath. –The night you and I ... yes, that’s when you should have said something. It takes three seconds!”

–I’m sorry.” What else could he say? He denied nothing and put it all on the table. He restated his defence. –I love you and you love me.”

–Not today. I warned you not to play games with me.” She leaned in closer to him, mirroring his softness. Elphinstone jumped back, writhing his hands like she’d burned him. –What’s her name?”

–She’s nothing.” Elphinstone shook his head. He refused to drag her into this. Minerva raised her eyebrows, waiting for him. He caved. –Alyson Zabini. She’s my wife. Past tense.”

–Alyson.” She repeated the name slowly. She started off in a random direction, and he let that sink in. He told her that they had married at seventeen, and he’d never sealed the deal. They kept walking, and he kept talking, blowing off steam. The students looked at them, but none of them had the courage to say anything. She offered nothing, letting him finish because tedious interruptions would prove pointless. –So, Mitchell didn’t lie? You really hate her?”

–Yeah, no, he’s an honest fool, a stupid one, but an honest one nonetheless. He shared a bed with her on our wedding night.” Elphinstone ignored her shock. He wanted to get through this as quickly as possible, keeping in mind that he may have single-handedly destroyed their friendship because he had forgotten to lock the bedroom door. –Better him than me. I despise her, but I pay her to shut up. Last night, you said you loved me.”

–You heard that?” Minerva laughed softly and took his hand. –She’s engaged, you know. It was next to the birth announcements. A man who owns an apothecary.”

–Poor bastard. I’ll send my condolences.” He made a mental note to send a sympathy card. They started back towards the school. Minerva dropped his hand once they reached the grounds. He delighted in her laughter, surprised his offhand comment went over so well.

–And Mr. Urquhart?” She caught the black gate as the last few latecomers headed back to school. She handed the gift back to him, tossing away a batch of fresh ginger biscuits. –Don’t think this changes anything. Alyson. It’s not good enough.”

He nodded, biting his lip. She slammed the gates shut and locked them with a tap of her wand. Light rain started falling and she opened a black umbrella. The candlelight shown through the windows of the castle, a safe haven for a comfortable dinner. He imagined her sitting in between the headmaster and the Potions Master, enjoying the autumn feast and acting as though nothing happened. Nothing had changed. Elphinstone stood there, rooted to this place, as night fell. He felt cold, saddened, and for the first time, quite alone.
Chapter 2: The Kiss by Writ Encore
He walked along the street and watched the elated celebrators with a bemused expression. Folks, people surely to be marked as –a queer crowd” by the Muggles, paraded around in their cloaks and their hats without a care in the world. As the papers raided, and everyone knew, they all suffered under a growing darkness and had had little to celebrate, or indeed to crack smile, for ages and ages. Eleven years! The clocked chatterers floated in clusters, wandering anywhere they pleased, no longer speaking -whispering - in hushed tones and hiding in isolated villages. Joy floated in the autumn air, like taking a fresh breath, and cheeriness and laughter infected them all.

Elphinstone completely dodged London for the day. The city, usually bustling with life, threatened to bust at the seams when moods caught like wildfire. No, he’d temporarily drop his connection with the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, thank you very much. No, today, he simply acted as a man in wrinkled trousers, plain shirt, Ivy cap, complete with his favorite pipe. He dug his hand into his pocket and fumbled around for a lighter.

–You make sure you’re not found,” said a familiar voice. A woman with a long grey plait down her back stared him down. –Enjoying your disappearing act?”

Elphinstone looked up, his face expressionless. He pulled the square-jawed woman, a colleague, close to a brick wall of a small shop. It had closed hours ago. He took off the Ivy cap and ran a hand through his damp white hair. His healthy locks went with age, and his eyesight, too, but he accepted that a long time ago. The wrinkles, he supposed, came along as a bonus with arthritis and God’s knows what else awaited him down the road. He lit the pipe, balanced the pipe between his teeth, and took a long drag.

–Can’t shake you for nothing,” he said, drawing a hand over his eyes. Daedalus Diggle swept past him in a throng, aiming his wand at the sky, shooting stars across its black canvas. Elphinstone helped himself to a bottle and twisted its lid off with two fingers. –Not even overcast, too. Somebody better grab that fool.”

–Elphinstone!” Amelia Bones rounded on him, half-exasperated, half-laughing it off. She rolled her eyes and muttered a woven insult he couldn’t quite make out in the shouts. –You’re just going to stand there? Really?”

–Who’re you talking to?” He feigned confusion and offered her a glass of wine. Amelia accepted it, but held it aloft. He walked away from her, backwards, delighted in her mingled disappointment. He withdrew his pocket watch and checked the hour. –Elphinstone? Poor kid. What evil parents branded him with that nonsense? Besides, my dear, I’m retired, so this is your problem, Madam Bones.”

–I hate you,” said Amelia, flailing in her anger as the sides of her mouth twitched.

With that, he slipped off his cap, offered Daedalus his off colour one, and disappeared successfully for the second time that evening. Elphinstone weaved through the witches and witches not caring if he got caught. If he did, he’d stop and chart for a minute, but what was there to say? He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named had met his downfall. Elphinstone didn’t know what to make of the story in the papers, but he supposed he’d that together in due time. He tossed the bottle of his flat, tasteless brew into a nearby bin and turned onto a street called Privet Drive. Perhaps the magical community really did need to rein their happiness in a little, but he wasn’t going to make that call.

He nodded at a woman who pattered across the street, her tattered slippers flopping behind her. She swung a drawstring bag, a thing he guessed was full of cat nip, but he wanted to stray away from hasty guesses tonight. Never mind that it ceased to matter. She looked a mess, this woman, and Elphinstone emptied his pipe in the damp pavement before he pocketed it, noticing her glare, and offered her an arm. She declined his company, but he insisted on it, so she pointed off in some direction and muttered something about Wisteria Walk.

–Long night?” He glanced over his shoulder at a masked figure yielding a plastic red-stained sword in one hand and a half-empty bottle in the other. Elphinstone took her hand, thinking the dodger would take them as some old married couple and quickened his pace.

–Mr. Tibbles, come, and you,” the woman called over her shoulder. A fat cat slipped under a car and a thin tabby cat stared at her. It looked affronted at being addressed as such, and Elphinstone stopped himself in mid-chuckle, reminded of some distant memory he couldn’t quite place. The tabby just sat there, letting the said Mr. Tibbles fall into submission of his own accord. –Come on!”

The other cat trotted along, racing past the streetlamps. She fell in step with Elphinstone, and the mad cat woman, who introduced herself as Mrs. Arabella Figg, accepted this. Elphinstone opened the door for her and locked it with a tap of his wand when she wasn’t looking. The ancient sitting was filled with cats, cardboard boxes, and, yes, more cats. He guessed that she’d just moved in, yet the place already carried a lingering feline musk. She rubbed her hands, offered tea, although she sounded as though she wanted him to say no, and rushed in the small kitchen to feed her meowing menagerie. She returned minutes later, tripping over a fat cat, and set a tea tray on a flowery ottoman. Elphinstone sank into the matching oversized chair and made to slip his wand away for safe keeping.

–No!” Mrs. Figg’s eyes darted to his hand as she peeked out the window to spy on a neighbor. –Are you mad? Don’t put that thing away, you idiot.”

Elphinstone blinked, surprised he had guessed wrong. He had assumed, even though years of training in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement warned him against doing that, that this was nothing more than an old woman knocking on death’s door. He held up his hands in a gesture of surrender, and placed his wand close by on the cushion. He thanked her for the tea, poured a little into the saucer, and placed it on the ottoman. The tabby cat, quicker and more alert than the others, helped herself to it. of course, this was a guess, too, taking a stab at the cat, but he went with it, and scratched the tabby behind her ears.

–She’s a stray?” Elphinstone figured this was the only small talk Mrs. Figg valued. He ignored his mistake and covered his tracks. –I’m sorry. I didn’t know any witch or wizard lived in these parts.”

–I haven’t turned the power on.” She gestured at the candles littered here and there. Mrs. Figg set out four cups filled with warm mug to be shared among her cats. She brushed her hands on her nightgown and sat down next to Mr. Tibbles. She took nothing for herself and wrapped herself in a blanket. She sounded a little miffed, and Elphinstone took this anger to be aimed at the new addition. –I’m not registered, am I?”

–Oh.” Elphinstone swallowed, felling he had worn out his welcome the second he crossed her threshold. He scooped the tabby into his arms and offered it a second draft. He got the message loud and clear, and he thought it was wise not to dwell on it. –So, do you like Wisteria Walk?”

–Yes,” she said shortly. She glanced at a photograph on her mantelpiece, a forgotten memory of a tall man and his bride. No fire warmed the place. She looked at him expectantly, dropped her eyes to her fat cat. She sounded hurt. –You don’t remember me.”

–No.” He spoke before his tired brain caught up with him. Elphinstone shut up quick, feigned innocence and ran her name through his memory. Should he know it? Figg. Figg. Elphinstone passed a shaking a hand over his eyes because the last thing she needed to know was a few nightcaps lingered on his breath. The tabby joined him and sat rigidly in his lap. After some minutes, to his embarrassment, a broken body flashed before his eyes, a man with his glasses askew. This sobered him. –Daniel Figg.”

–Right.” She nodded. She stopped his apology before it formed itself in his mind. –Don’t bother. It doesn’t- it doesn’t matter. You got me out of there, and for that, I’m grateful. Mr. Urquhart, believe me. It’s all right. He worked under you.”

–No, madam, he worked with me. Yes, Daniel, he whistled a tune, a good one.” Elphinstone paused, racked through his thoughts, raised his finger, and started a few bars of –Odo the Hero”. He stopped when the tabby cat lifted her head and silenced him with a look. He chuckled nervously, feeling saddened that he was so disconnected from this widow. –Yeah, yeah, he did that on Friday afternoons, ready for his drink at the pub, you know.”

Mrs. Figg said nothing and offered to get him more tea. He had barely touched it, but he handed it over and watched her go back into the kitchen. Elphinstone didn’t want to stay long. He felt a vibrating sensation in his pocket and suddenly remembered a meeting with Barty Crouch and the new Minister of Magic. The tabby jolted him back to reality when it slipped on the ottoman and darted them four ferocious fellows who didn’t look too cheery at the thought of another mouth to feed. It sprang and its paw slashed through a flame of a toppling stubby candle. Elphinstone got to his feet and stamped the sparks out. He held the cat to his chest and fingered its singed paw gingerly.

–It’s not that bad,” he said, shifting the tabby under his arm. He scribbled a note on a fresh roll of parchment, wishing Mrs. Figg a good night and made a hurried escape. He checked his furry friend when they stepped out into the night. –You don’t want to there, anyway, my dear. The fat, he’ll eat you, and besides, I think she’s got enough. Come with me.”

Elphinstone checked both ways before he crossed the road. He went down some ways, and turned on his heel. He wondered idly what the Minister of Magic would think with a stray being dragged into a meeting. He knew the roster: Barty Crouch, Cornelius Fudge, fair Millicent, and, Professor Dumbledore, perhaps, and maybe he, at least, would get a laugh.

****


He rolled onto his side cleared his throat. Sunlight peered through the light curtains, but he didn’t want to greet the morning. He blinked. Elphinstone had made it home around five in the morning, and he collapsed into the bed fully clothed. He’d had just enough energy to kick off his shoes. Before he had closed his eyes, though, he’d set a bowl of milk and the tabby cat on his pillow. He had cleaned and wrapped its leg. It had curled up as he’d drifted off. There was no bowl, and, more importantly, there was no cat.

A woman lay in its place, curled up at his side.

–I’m no fool,” he muttered, glancing at the ceiling. Minerva McGonagall opened her eyes and looked at him. –Don’t get me wrong, all right? I usually remember these nights.”

She swung back, and he grabbed her arm; there was a bandage there.

–Minerva?” He fingered the injury as their eyes met. –Where’s my cat?”

–I’ve no idea what you’re talking about.” She slipped her arm out of his touch. She sat up and took his brush off of the nightstand. She loosened her damp hair out of its knot and ran the bristles through it. Her eyes stared back at him through her reflection; they were bloodshot and puffy. –Did you sleep?”

–You didn’t,” he mused, passing his hand over the damp pillow on the other side of the bed. –You want to talk about it?”

She shook her head vigorously, holding back the tears. –I have to get back to the school.”

–It’s the first of November, it’s Sunday morning,” he reminded her softly. Elphinstone had never done well with crying women, especially the widows, for he’d been a bachelor for a long, long time. He had no comforting words. He patted the bed. –Come to bed. Lie down.”

She shook her head, but he waited until she crawled next to him. Elphinstone draped one arm over her and ran his free hand through her tangled locks. She didn’t face him; she didn’t her eyes away from her reflection. Elphinstone licked his chapped lips and considered his words carefully as he leaned over to whisper to her. He was painfully reminded of the young nineteen-year-old girl he had consoled after she’d lost her first case.

–It’s over-it’s finally over.” He kissed her cheek and closed his eyes, letting the past eleven years of hell wash over him. He laced his fingers through hers. –Thank God we’re together. How’s Professor Dumbledore?”

–He’s fine.” She shivered next to him. –He’s just - he’s just fine.”

Elphinstone took that as an answer, though he imagined there was more to it. Not wanting to brew an unnecessary migraine, he got out of the bed fifteen minutes later and took a shower. He didn’t understand why a teacher, a professor, held the wright of the world on his shoulders. The new Minister, good old Fudge, was an oversized toddler, tripping over his trainer laces with this new job. Sure, he got the appointment, and the plush office, too, yet he knew nothing. Elphinstone was no political man, but he’d gathered that much last night, or this morning, a few hours hence, whenever the briefing happened. Elphinstone pulled on a fresh set of robes and tossed the towel in the hamper when he walked back into his room.

–Minerva?”

She had rolled over onto his side of the bed and buried her face into his pillow. Elphinstone walked over towards her, lifted the covers over her limp frame, and hung the emerald cloak in his armoire. He pressed his lips to hers when he saw a green flash out of the corner of his eye. A revolving head with perfectly parted hair and a handle bar mustache glared at him, the flying mustache bristles agitated.

–What’re you doing here?” This was Mr. Crouch’s usual morning greeting.

Elphinstone broke the kiss. –I’m on my way.”

Crouch faded out of the flames. Elphinstone stepped into his shoes, the splattered ones he wore last night and took a ceramic pot off his fireplace. He fingered a pinch of fine green powder and threw it in the flames before he stepped inside the icy emerald heat and shouted his destination. He felt the breeze, the air dropping degrees rapidly. It tasted of the salt and the sea. A peaceful journey to a hellish prison, one he’d only journeyed to years before, and the mere memory made him feel queasy. He steadied his footing and cleared his head.

Elphinstone shared few words with the guards. A lot was said without speaking. The hooded figures floated above him, and many of the Dementors stayed rooted at the base; they stood as the walls to this place. A scabbed outstretched hand came closer, but it offered him no assistance. Elphinstone took a handkerchief out of his robes and covered his mouth. He walked down the dark corridors and took a fiery bracket off the wall. One of the Dementors pointed him towards the furthest stall to the right.

A young man with long dark hair sat huddled against the wall. He looked handsome, dressed in dark grey robes and matching shoes. He didn’t look up when Elphinstone entered his cell. He stared at the wall; he made no move when the doors slammed shut behind them. Elphinstone jumped a mile! He felt his heart pound against his ribcage. The young fellow, Sirius Black, smiled as though he were entertaining the party of the century. He laughed maniacally, and the joy, the madness, echoed off the walls.

–Mr. Black,” Elphinstone said. A rat skirted across the floor.

–Mr. Crouch got tired of me already?” Sirius spoke quietly, almost conversationally as another piece of vermin jointed their tight quarters. He looked up at Elphinstone and considered him. –He’s sent an old man to die with me.”

–Mr. Black,” Elphinstone started again. He hugged the wall when some creature crawled near his leg. He dared not look down, for vermin carried diseases and made his skin crawl. –God.”

–He can’t help you.” Sirius snatched up the rat and threw it at the wall. The thing fell, dead. –I’m tired of those, aren’t you? You’re ancient.”

Elphinstone cleared his throat and lowered the handkerchief. –Sirius.”

–Yes?” Sirius sounded exhausted.

–Talk to me.” Elphinstone reached out to take the young man’s hand, thought better of it, and lowered his hand. Barty Crouch had thrown this young man, this kid, into a cell without the slightest hesitation. Elphinstone had been there; he’d heard the ricocheted laughter. He stepped through the bodies. Sirius had passed into Azkaban with nothing. The handsomeness would inevitably break. –You didn’t kill those people. I’m here for you. We’ve all lost everything.”

–Piss off, old man.” Sirius’s face hardened and he turned away. –You know nothing. Go home to your wife.”

Elphinstone ignored that. He wore no ring on his finger. –He was your best friend. Why would you kill him? It makes no sense! James Potter and Peter Pettigrew –”
–Go away.”

–-and there is always hope.”

Sirius erupted into a renewed fit and gathered himself after some minutes passed. He took Elphinstone’s hand and wrapped his strong fingers around his wrist. Elphinstone whitened, the color drained from his face. A voice inside his head got louder, screaming at him to arm himself. His weaker hand reached for his wand, but Sirius merely threw him back and the doors opened. His wrist snapped; he yelped in pain. Elphinstone fell backwards, hard onto the stone floor. The air went cold, and the temperature dropped, before Elphinstone knew it, seven, eight nine hooded figures converged on him.

–No.” None of them would dare risk their necks for a Ministry official. The skeletal flesh crept closer, and Elphinstone slipped into a warped depression. He deserved this. He was nothing but a lonely old man. He spoke to himself, his voice getting weaker and weaker. –No, no.”

The locked jaw came closer … the happiness drained from him ….

A silvery form, a huge illuminated dog, shot towards them. Elphinstone slammed his head on the stone, screaming for dear life. The silvery spirit vanished, and cantered back, commanded by a growling tone. The inmates, the newer ones, peered out of their barred confinements, hoping to witness a death. The Dementors roused themselves with the decaying scent, and they knew when the end beckoned them. A scaly hand clasped his throat, constricting his air flow, crushing his wind pipe. He remembered his last kiss.

–I love … I love …” he stammered, scared out of his mind. This was it.

The Dementor loosened its grip and shrieked as its oxygen supply cut. It evaporated. Elphinstone closed his eyes and he and God had the first one-on-one he could recall in living memory. The other Dementors floated up ahead, ready to capture its cowering victim, this old, feeble man. Elphinstone rolled onto his belly, spent, and put his hands and feet to work. Shocked, he saw Sirius silhouetted in his cell; the prisoner waved the wand and broke the connection. He tossed the wand over to Elphistone and watched the man gather it, begging for his life on his hands and knees. Slowly, ever so slowly, Sirius inclined his head, or so Elphinstone imagined it, and he shook the figment from his mind as he crawled further out. When Elphinstone finally got outside, he opened his mouth and emptied is already empty stomach and breathed in the cooling sea breeze.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=91463