Shamrock by Equinox Chick
Summary: In the space of five months, Seamus Finnigan found himself out of one relationship and home, and safely ensconced with the rapacious Romilda Vane.

About to get married and move to Paris, he couldn't be happier.

But his friends have other ideas.

Disclaimer: I most definitely am not JK Rowling.

Another Disclaimer: All the chapter titles are named after films. I didn't star, write or direct any of them. And there's a good few I haven't even seen.


Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 23360 Read: 16311 Published: 05/08/12 Updated: 06/15/12
Story Notes:
This story is part of a peculiar canon of mine concerning Seamus, Dean and Parvati. It is compliant with Lavender, blue - a Gryffindor true, Orphans of the Storm and The Foolhardy Boys and Parvati, too.

1. Chapter 1 -The Wedding Planner by Equinox Chick

2. Chapter 2 -The Best Man by Equinox Chick

3. Chapter 3 - The Hangover by Equinox Chick

4. Chapter 4 -Stag Night by Equinox Chick

5. Chapter 5 -The Princess Bride by Equinox Chick

6. Chapter 6 -Father of the Bride by Equinox Chick

7. Chapter 7 - Wedding Crashers by Equinox Chick

Chapter 1 -The Wedding Planner by Equinox Chick
–Get the feck out!”

–Not till you’ve seen sense!”

–I have seen sense, Dean. You just can’t feckin’ accept it.”

–You really want this? You really want to marry her?”

–Yeah, I love her and nothing else feckin’ matters. So leave, NOW”

–Seamus, I’m your best man!”

–Not any longer. Get out!”


***


Sitting at a corner table in the Leaky Cauldron, Seamus didn’t notice her until she’d wended her way through the crowd of customers and pulled up the chair opposite him.

–No, I don’t mind if you do join me,” he said, raising one eyebrow in what he hoped was an ironic manner.

She chose to ignore the comment; instead, she sipped at her drink, studying him from under her lashes.

–You’re engaged, I hear,” she said when she was halfway down her glass of red.

–So it says in The Prophet,” he agreed. –You should know, Lavender, you work with her. She must have told you.”

–Mmm, she hasn’t stopped, actually.” Lavender gave him a rueful smile. –Romilda is very excited and already making plans.”

Picking up his pint, Seamus took a long deep swallow, then placed the glass carefully back on his coaster. –Brides are supposed to, aren’t they?” he asked. –It’s their big day.”

–I wouldn’t know.” She paused and with one hand, she tentatively touched him on the arm. –Is this really what you want, Seamus?”

–We get on well. We have a laugh. She’s fantastic in the sack!” Seamus replied crudely, smiling when Lavender grimaced. –I can’t go back to the old set-up - not now - and Romilda is a great girl.”

–You’re settling,” she accused.

–No,” he said wearily. –I’m being realistic. Besides, I do actually love her, you know.”

–Really?” She eyed him sceptically. He nodded and Lavender sighed. –Okay, I do believe you - or rather I believe that you believe that - but isn’t this all going a bit quickly? You haven’t been seeing her long.”

–Ah, Lavender,” Seamus replied as he held up his pint to the light, staring at ring of foam as it slid down the inside of the glass. –When did you believe were in love with yer man, Zabini, then?”

–That’s different,” she muttered. –Besides we’re still together.”

–And who’s to say I won’t be with Romilda five years from now?”

–Because you still love -” She stopped abruptly as Seamus shot her a look.

Placing his glass on the table, he stood up. He said nothing, but Summoned his cloak and strode away from her.

–See, you can’t deny it,” Lavender yelled, not caring that the customers were looking their way.

–I can’t go back, Lavender,” he called over his shoulder. –Too much has changed.”

–She misses you,” she said. –They both do.”

–Your invite will arrive by owl,” he replied. –Tell Zabini to get his best robes cleaned. Romilda’s got her heart set on something classy.”

***


Seamus’ flat wasn’t dark when he got back. As he stood outside, he could see a light on, and with a smile, he realised that Romilda must have let herself in. It made a change to have someone there, and with hope swooping through him, he wondered if she was already in bed, her beautiful body naked between his sheets, or clad in the red underwear she’d worn the first time they’d...

He fumbled with his keys, desperate to get to his bedroom and see what awaited him.

–You’re late,” Romilda said as he closed his front door.

With a sigh, he realised she was in his kitchen standing by the stove and stirring a big pan of something. –Had a quick drink at the Leaky, my darlin’,” he soothed and wound his arms around her waist. –What’s that you’re cooking?”

–Ratatouille,” she replied, and moved away as he started to nuzzle her ear. –It’s very healthy. I thought you could with a proper meal rather than grabbing another takeaway.”

–Smells ... great,” he muttered and peered closer. –Where’s the meat?”

Romilda giggled and tapped him on the cheek with her hand. –It’s vegetarian, Seamus. You need to take more care of yourself. Stuffing yourself with burgers and curry every night is not good for you.”

–I’ve survived so far,” he said.

–Through luck and because you’re still young,” she said archly. Then she turned in his arms, raised her hands to his neck and pecked him on the cheek. –I’m going to marry you Seamus, and I want us to have a long and happy life together.”

–Me, too,” he replied, swallowing the sigh. She was right; he did eat garbage, but with his job at the Ministry having regular nine-to-five hours, he could start to eat at regular times, and not be snatching unhealthy snacks at four in the morning, as he’d been wont to do when coming back from surveillance. He pulled Romilda closer, marvelling at the smoothness of her hair as he inhaled its scent and ran his hands up and down her body. –Will this spoil if we eat it later?”

–I could leave it simmering,” she whispered.”What do you have in mind?”

***


–You have the most beautiful hair, you know that,” Seamus murmured.

She stirred in his arms, and levered herself up onto her elbow. –You don’t want me to get it cut, then.”

–Merlin no,” he replied, and twisted a few of the silken strands between his fingers. –I love the way it feels. It’s soft and silky and so, so beautiful. Just like you, my star.”

Languorously, she stretched and her hair trailed down her back. Seamus reached across and cupped her breasts, raining kisses on their perfection. She smiled at him, her fingers now entwined in his hair as she pushed him back onto the pillows and sat astride him.

–I love you,” he said, gasping as she moved up and down.



–That is so sweet.”

–Huh?” Seamus sat up with a start to see Romilda standing in front of the mirror, tucking her shirt into her slim grey skirt.

–You,” she said, smiling. She stepped towards him, and proffered her cheek for a kiss. –I have an early start and will be gone most of the day. Don’t forget about the caterers.”

–Caterers?”

–The food for the wedding,” she explained patiently as she sat on the edge of the bed.

Seamus blinked. –Yeah, sure. What time, again?”

–One o’clock,” she replied. –Really, Seamus, I did tell you about this last week and it’s in your organiser.”

–Organiser?” He rubbed his eyes.

–On the bedside table,” Romilda said, sighing as she picked it up. –I bought it for you yesterday. You need never forget another appointment.” She opened it up, and pointed at the day’s date, then placed it on his chest. –Make sure you take it with you. And I’ll talk to you later about it. Just remember, it’s your choice, darling.”

–How long will it take?” he asked.

–Not long, about two hours at the most.” Romilda frowned slightly. –Seamus, there isn’t a problem, is there? I cleared it with Percy Weasley. He knows you’re taking an extended lunch.”

–I said I’d meet Dean for a drink,” he said.

He could see her spine stiffening and the knuckles of her hand whitening as she clutched her wand. –Dean?” The word dropped like a stone into a stagnant pond, ripples edging towards him. –I didn’t think you had much to do with him anymore.”

–He’s my best mate, Ro.”

–Then he’ll understand if you put him off today. Our wedding is more important, after all.”

–Yeah, course he will,” Seamus replied. Sliding to the end of the bed, he plucked at the sleeve of Romilda’s shirt, halting her as she turned the door handle, and moulded one hand around her bum. –Shame you’ve got an early start.”

–Not now,” she said quietly. –I have a ton of things to do and this wedding won’t organise itself.”

–Not even with an organiser,” he muttered under his breath.

Romilda turned as she opened the door. –I must say, it’s sweet to know you were dreaming about me, Seamus,” she said and smiled at his obvious confusion. –You were talking in your sleep and said you loved me.”

–Huh ... oh, yeah, always, my darlin’” Seamus said and grinned at her. But as she walked down the stairs, he frowned.

What dream?


***


–I don’t have long,” Seamus said as he eased himself onto the barstool.

Dean looked up from his pint, and pushed a drink towards him. –So you said. I thought this was a date?” he said, and pouted for a full two seconds before laughing. –What’s up? Is your boss giving you a hard time?”

–Something like that,” Seamus muttered. –I can’t take long liquid lunches and claim it on expenses any more, sadly.”

Dean raised his eyebrows. –Well, that can be easily remedied,” he started to say, but Seamus forestalled him with a wave of his hand.

–I’m fine. It’s a good steady job and you don’t need me hanging around, not anymore.”

–You weren’t ‘hanging around’. We had a business - a partnership.”

–Dean. Leave it!” Seamus rapped, then took a breath and swallowed some of his lager. –Look, it’s not like it was before, is it? Things have changed and we all agreed this was for the best.”

–Did we?” Dean muttered mutinously. –I don’t remember a proper discussion?”

–Yeah, well, it’s too late to be thinking about that now.” Seamus coughed, hoping to clear his throat before a lump threatened to form, then fixed a smile on his face. –How’s Anusha?”

–Getting more beautiful every day.” Dean stopped frowning; his face lit up with a beaming smile. –And I swear she’s the cleverest girl in the world.”

And although he loved seeing his mate so happy, a part of Seamus’ stomach curdled inside of him. –I’m sure she is. You only have to look at her dad to know she’s going to be brilliant.”

Dean laughed. –I swear she said my name, which is very early. Parvati said it was just babbling, but I know my little girl.” And then his smile faded. –Sorry ... I ... didn’t mean-”

–It’s okay,” Seamus said and shrugged. –How is Parvati?”

–Fine,” mumbled Dean. Then he sighed. –She’s tired because of the baby - well, neither of us is getting much sleep - and I’m not around much as much as I should be because we’re busy at work, so ... well ... you know what we’re like. We don’t hold back when we’re irritated with something.” He trailed off and took another sip of his pint.

As Dean shifted on his stool, a shaft of light from the opening door illuminated his face; Seamus noticed how bloodshot his eyes were and how new lines seemed to have become entrenched on his forehead. About to reply something trite about how he was sure this was normal, and that Parvati would soon be back to her old self once she got a good night’s sleep, Seamus was stopped by a shrill voice emitting from his robe pocket.

–MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETING WITH THE CATERERS.”

–What the hell is that?” Dean asked, laughing in amazement.

–Feck, I’m late!” Seamus explained. He gulped at his drink, hoping to hide his embarrassment from Dean. –Look, sorry, mate. We’ll catch up properly another time, but I’ve really got to fly.”

–Literally?” Dean asked. –Only I don’t see your broom.”

–Ha-bloody-ha. I’m going by Floo.” Seamus drained his pint. –Sorry to bail on you, but I gotta go.”

–MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETI-”

–SHUT UP!” Seamus ordered. Opening the organiser, he slammed it page down on the bar, sending Dean’s drink flying. –Bollocks! Sorry. Look let me buy you another.”

Dean shook his head. –Don’t worry about it. You’re obviously in a rush.” Then he licked his lips. –Caterers, eh?”

–Yeah,” Seamus said, feeling sheepish. –Wedding’s next month.”

–Bit soon, isn’t it? You haven’t been seeing her long. She’s not ... er ... pregnant, is she?”

–No, nothing like that. Romilda’s taking a job in France, working for The Prophet’s sister paper in Paris. It’s easier for me to get transferred to the French Ministry if we’re married.”

–You have it all worked out, don’t you,” Dean said softly.

–MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETING WITH THE CATERERS...”

–Merlin. Shut up. I’m on my way!” he held his hand out to Dean, who looked at it in confusion before clapping Seamus on the back.

–We need to catch up properly - very soon!” Dean said. –Lunch, tomorrow?”

–Uh .... yeah,” Seamus replied hurriedly. He slammed the organiser shut and shoved it in his pocket. –Send me an owl.”

***


She was standing in the kitchen, the sunlight streaming through the windows and catching her in the eyes as she turned her head. From the doorway, Seamus smiled and walked towards her, holding out the small gift he’d brought her back from Ireland. There was something hesitant in the way she took the gift as if she was worried about what was inside the small package.

–It’s not much,” Seamus said casually, –but I can’t not bring back a souvenir for my star girl.”

–What’s in the other bag?” she asked.

–Bottle of whisky for Dean,” he replied as he laughed, –and maybe one for meself.”

She didn’t join in the laughter, but sat down at the table, the package still unwrapped.

–What’s the matter?” he asked. –Aren’t you pleased I’m back?”

–Of course I am,” she said. But when she lifted her head to face him, he could see tears glimmering in her eyes.

–Then what’s the problem?”

–I had another row with Dean,” she replied. –I don’t know what’s wrong with me at the moment, but I snapped at him over some stupid filing at work and now he’s stormed off and -” She stopped speaking, sniffed and then clasped Seamus by the hand. –Merlin, I’m so pleased to see you.”

–Do you want me to go and find him?”

Lifting his hand, she gently unfurled the fingers and kissed his palm. –I don’t know why I’m so upset, really. He’s just blowing off steam. Besides, he knows you’re coming back, so I think he’ll make himself scarce for a while.”

–You look tired,” he said, his fingers smoothing back the tresses of her shining black hair.

–I’m fine,” she whispered. –And I really have missed you.”

–Then open your present,” he said, nudging it towards her.

Gratefully, she smiled at him as her quick fingers unwrapped the velvet box. –Oh,” she sighed, pulling put the fine thin chain on which hung a delicate pendant. –This is so beautiful.”

–It’s a shamrock,” he whispered and kissed her neck as he fastened the necklace. –You now have the luck of the Irish, my star.”

–I know,” she replied and turned to kiss his cheek. –Now, can we go to bed so I can show you just how lucky you’re going to get?”
End Notes:
Reviews are fabulous and make me smile.
Chapter 2 -The Best Man by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Thank you, Julia (the opaleye) for naming the French newspaper for me.

Dean trudged back from the office and along the road to the house he shared with Parvati. It had been a long day, made longer by the fact that the one thing he’d been determined to do that day - namely talk to Seamus - he’d failed at miserably. It didn’t help that he knew Parvati was waiting for him.

He waited at the gate, not wanting to face her yet, not wanting to see the reproach in her eyes. He loved her, he knew that, and he loved Anusha, who’d arrived without warning into their lives but with no fanfare necessary. She was there, she was perfect, and she’d utterly ensnared him.

But she’d changed everything.

Wearily, he pushed open the gate then let himself into the house, calling out as brightly as he could that he was home.

–We’re in the lounge,” Parvati replied.

He couldn’t hear reproach in her voice for the fact that he was later than he’d promised, but the resignation there was far worse.

He was starting his apologies as he walked through the door, spinning a tale of a client calling when really it was his reluctance to tell her he’d failed that had kept him from coming home, but then he stopped. Parvati was not alone. She wasn’t pacing the floor trying to soothe Anusha, but was sitting on the sofa having kicked off her shoes and talking to Lavender. In the armchair opposite sat Lavender’s partner, Blaise Zabini, and he was the one currently holding Dean’s daughter against his chest.

Despite his gloom, Dean couldn’t stop the snort emitting from his mouth, for Zabini who was undoubtedly cool when facing venomous beasts in far off places, looked totally terrified by the baby sprawled on his chest.

–Do you need rescuing?” Dean said, grinning at him. After pecking Parvati on the cheek and acknowledging Lavender, he bent down and picked up Anusha. She gave a brief wail, opened her eyes, and then gurgled up at him.

–Don’t get her excited,” Parvati said wearily.

–I won’t,” he replied gently, then sat back on the other armchair, crooking his arm around the drowsy five-month-old tyrant of his. –How’s she been?”

–Awake all day, so I hope she’ll sleep all night,” Parvati muttered. Then she fixed a smile on her face. –Did you see him?”

Dean nodded. Adjusting his hold on Anusha, he stole a glance around the room, noting that Lavender and Blaise were affecting disinterest.

–So what did he say? And why didn’t you send me an owl earlier?”

–I didn’t get to talk to him,” Dean admitted. He raised one hand as Parvati opened her mouth to protest. –He practically cancelled on me and when he turned up, he left early.” Sighing, he stared at Parvati. –Sorry, he had this bloody book that kept shouting an appointment at him - something about the caterers for his wedding - so I couldn’t get a word in edgeways.”

–He’s serious about it, then,” she murmured.

–Seems to be,” Dean replied. –And ... er ... he says he’s moving to France.” Looking away from Parvati, his focus switched to Lavender. –Apparently Romilda has some job lined up for a Parisian newspaper, and he’s transferring to their Ministry.”

Lavender frowned slightly, as if puzzled. –I’m not sure why she’d want to go there. La Voix des Sorciers has a smaller circulation than The Prophet, although ...” she shrugged, adding waspishly, –She’ll have less competition there.”

Dean raised his eyebrows. He met Parvati’s eyes, but whereas a few months ago, they’d have shared a private joke at the professional jealousy in Lavender’s tone, now Parvati was showing nothing except despondency.

–I’m sorry,” he said. –I’ve arranged to see him tomorrow for lunch. I’ll speak to him then.”

There was a silence. Parvati looked away from Dean and getting to her feet, dully announced that she’d make a start on dinner. –Lavender and Blaise are staying,” she informed Dean. –Will you uncork some wine and give me a hand?”

–Sure,” he replied, and gingerly got to his feet. –Let me put this one to bed first, though.”

She nodded, touched her fingers to her lips and softly placed them on Anusha’s cheek. Dean watched her walk off to the kitchen and turned to Lavender. –I did try to talk to Seamus, you know, but he seems dead set on it all.”

–You know what he’s like,” Lavender said. –Stubborn - especially when he thinks he’s doing the right thing.”

***


–This bloody organiser screeched at me!” Seamus exclaimed, chucking the thick book on the coffee table.

–Well, were you late for the caterers?” Romilda asked as she flipped through a bridal magazine.

–About five minutes, Ro, that’s all. Having this thing shout in the middle of the pub was embarrassing.”

–You shouldn’t have been in the pub,” she said tartly and narrowed her eyes. –Why were you there?”

–Quick drink with Dean,” he replied. –Just explaining why I wasn’t going to have lunch - okay?”

–You could have sent him an owl.” Romilda didn’t take her eyes off the page in front of her, but she no longer turned the pages.

–He’s my best mate,” Seamus muttered. –I’m not fobbing him off with a message - not when I haven’t seen him for weeks. Anyway I got to the caterers, so what’s the problem?”

Putting down the magazine, Romilda obviously decided to change tack. She reached out her hands and pulled Seamus down towards her. –Sorry,” she whispered. –I don’t mean to nag. Now, why don’t you sit down and tell me all about the caterers? What did you think?”

As he handed her the menu, and pointed to the dishes he’d ringed, he saw her lips purse as she perused his choices.

–Prawn cocktail - rather dull,” she muttered, crossing through it.

–Uh, I thought it was a classic,” Seamus replied and shrugged, unwilling to tell her he’d been impressed because the chef said they served it on a ‘bed of crisp lettuce’. –Whatever you think. –

–Moules Marinere ... interesting,” she mused, –but very messy and two fish dishes is a dreadful idea. Hmm...” She flipped over each menu, and with her quill made notes - crossing out Seamus’ suggestions, ringing her own, before finally looking up at him. –Dessert? Any reason you’ve chosen sherry trifle”

–Well, Mam loves it, so ...” he trailed off. –Sorry, don’t you like it?”

–I’m sure it will be fine, and it sounds quite nouveau in its homeliness,” she said distantly, –only we do have to think of others ... so ...” She frowned as she pondered. –Sherry trifle and ... Oooooh, Mohito cheesecake, that sounds divine!”

Squeezing him on the knee, Romilda snuggled into him. –Thank you for doing all this,” she cooed. –It is one less thing for me to have to think about. Today was a ghastly.”

–What happened?” he asked sympathetically.

–Our ever-wise editor,” she pulled a face, –decided to give Lavender the interview with Harry. Honestly, I put in all that time and effort into the anniversary event and he pulls that particular scoop away from me.”

–Sorry,” he said, kissing her on the brow. –She is the chief reporter, though, and she knows Harry better.”

Instantly he knew from Romilda’s reaction that he’d said the wrong thing, and when she spoke it was in a harsher tone.

–That is precisely the point. Her interview will be a fawning mass of quotes about the ‘hero’. She won’t delve at all and no one will find out anything remotely new. It will be bland and pointless - but then all Lavender’s articles are like that, so why should I be surprised?”

Before Seamus could protest (and he wanted to protest because blandness wasn’t an accusation he thought could be levelled at Lavender or her feature articles), Romilda picked up the magazine and threw it across the room.

–Also I can’t find the style of dress I want. Madam Malkin says she can’t source the Chinese silk I specifically ordered. And to cap it all, Demelza told me today that she can’t make the wedding.”

–Is that such a big deal? I didn’t think you and Demelza were that friendly,” Seamus murmured soothingly.

–We’re not,” Romilda snapped. –But her girlfriend -” her lip curled at the word - –has connections, and I thought they’d spring for a decent present. Apparently, they’re on holiday.”

–Okay ...” Seamus trailed off, his thoughts muddling in his mind. –Do you think that maybe it would be better to postpone the wedding?” He gulped when he saw her reaction, a furious and frosty look in her eyes. –I’m only thinking of you, Ro. You’re so stressed by this, and I can wait. June would be good - or July. Gives us more time to plan it properly.”

–NO!” Romilda balled her hands into fists and when she turned her eyes were flashing furiously. – I am NOT postponing this wedding. Or are you saying you don’t want to marry me now?”

–Ro, darlin’ that’s not the case. It’s only ‘cause you’re stressed and we’re doing this so quickly. I thought another month would help, and maybe Demelza can make it then, and that silk you’ve ordered will be in.”

–I’ve set the date and that’s final,” she hissed. –And what do you mean ‘so quickly’? You agreed to May the fourteenth.”

–Because you said it was special to you. Your nana’s birthday. But I’m sure she would only have wanted your happiness, Ro,” he explained and laid his hands on her shoulders, trying to ease the tension. –What about June? We could make it your birthday.”

–No.” Her voice was softer now but still as determined, and then she turned around and snuggled up to him. –I’m sorry. I want it to be May, that’s all. You’ll think I’m being silly, but it’s always been a dream of mine.” She hesitated and he heard the catch of breath in her throat as she swallowed. –May blossom in my hair, all that sort of thing. Besides, I’ve sent the invitations out now.”

–Since when?”

She smiled at him, a faint look of condescension on her lips. –Darling, I sent the invitations out two days ago. I did tell you.”

Had she? –Who have you invited, then? I don’t remember telling you my list.”

–All your family,” she replied blithely. –And I’ve included some of your friends. Hermione and Ron have already replied - sadly, they, too, are going away. But we do have to keep this small. Exclusive, but small.”

–Show me the list,” he said, his voice low.

Sighing, Romilda Summoned her pink wedding file and extracted a sheet of parchment. In purple ink, she’d made a list; he scanned the names, noting she’d added Neville as an afterthought but there was no sign of ...

–Where are Dean and Parvati?” he said. –Or Lavender and Blaise?”

–I’m not having Lavender there. She never stops looking down her nose at me, so why should I invite her?”

–Because she’s my friend, all right, and you work with her. And there’s no way I can’t not invite Dean... or Parvati.”

–No!” Romilda’s face turned an ugly shade of puce and she faced him. –Lavender and Blaise, okay, I’ll agree to that. His mother is influential, after all. But not the other two.”

–He’s my best friend,” Seamus repeated, staring her directly in the eyes.

–And she’s your ex-girlfriend!” Romilda shrieked. –So I’m not having her at my wedding.”

–I’m not with her!” He took a breath, trying to calm himself, to talk through this rationally. –Ro, my darlin’, I’m not going back to her. You should know that. They have a baby now, and all that’s behind us.”

–I can’t have her there,” she snapped, and now when she faced him he could see tears welling in her eyes. –It’s ... too much.”

–I can’t not invite them,” he stated. –And I want Dean to be best man.”

–Absolutely NOT! What will people think?”

–I don’t bloody care what they think. But my friends will think it’s odd that they’re not there, so ...” He snatched the quill and parchment from her, and in purple capital letters, and a double underline added the names ‘Dean’, ‘Parvati’ and ‘Anusha’.

–I’m not having the baby. They cry all the time. And now we have too many people.”

–You can take McLaggen off the list. I never liked that muppet,” he retorted.

–I’ve invited him now, and his dad is my boss, so that won’t go down well at all,” she muttered. –You do want me to succeed, don’t you? Only, you’re starting to sound like a man who doesn’t want me to have my own life and is clinging onto his own past with the determination of a ... a ... Kappa! ”

–They’re invited,” he said, adding sarcastically, –We’ll make room and I’ll split my Mohito-bloody-cheesecake with Dean, if that helps.”

–I thought I was important to you,” she moaned, her fingers now clenched into a fist around her file. –You said you wanted a new life.”

Seamus closed his eyes. The fight wasn’t leaving him, but he knew he had to make peace with her. He owed her, after all.

–I do, Ro, but I also need to say goodbye.”

***


She had called them both into her bedroom, but she wasn’t in bed when they walked through the door. Instead, she was sitting at her dressing table, wrapped in a towel, her long black hair dripping water onto the carpet. She looked wan, her face troubled, and Seamus gulped. What if it was bad news? She’d been preoccupied recently, snapping even at him, when usually she’d laugh.

–Hi,” she mumbled.

–What’s up?” Dean asked. Normally he’d have sat on the bed, lolling back while he waited for her, but he, too, realised something was wrong, and he stood with Seamus in the doorway.

–Er... I ... don’t quite know how to tell you this,” she said, staring at her hands. Then she cleared her throat, and looked up. Her eyes flicked from Dean to Seamus and then back to Dean again. –I’m pregnant.”

Dean seemed beyond words. Seamus watched his friend take a small step back, sway and then right himself. He wondered at that reaction, knowing he felt the same shock, but then stepped forwards to crouch in front of Parvati.

–You sure?”

She nodded and ruffled his hair. –I saw the Healer today. Sorry.”

–It’s a baby,” Dean said, and then he smiled. –There’s nothing to be sorry about. It just ... uh ... complicates things a little.”

Seamus chuckled, and turned to look at his friend. –That’s us all right, complicated and confusing to everyone except ourselves.”

Hearing Parvati sigh, he glanced at her, relieved to see a smile glimmering on her face. –Merlin, I thought you were going to break things. I can’t quite believe this has happened, you see.” She stood up and took both of them in her arms. –I thought we’d always been careful.”

–He’ll be a fine looking lad either way,” Seamus said, grinning. –Although, wouldn’t it be brilliant if it was twins - with two different daddies. Perfect!”

At that, Parvati dropped her arms from their shoulders. She turned away and walked over to the window, her expression hard to read with the light behind her. –The Healer told me that I’m ten weeks pregnant.”

There was no mistaking the surprise and then joy on Dean’s face, and although he didn’t realise at the time, that look was when Seamus realised things were over.

–I was in Ireland, wasn’t I?” he murmured.
End Notes:
Plots thicken, I hope well and not too lumpy.
Chapter 3 - The Hangover by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
OH! It wasn't the Hag's Rest after all, Gina. Ha ha ha.

It had started as wetting the baby’s head, before the birth. Parvati, then in the last trimester and feeling tired, hadn’t objected to Seamus and Dean going off to the pub without her after the pair of them had solved a case. She hadn’t minded them coming back a bit the worse the wear for drink - even if they had woken her. She hadn’t even thrown a wobbly when Seamus had dropped the takeaway curry all over the carpet, failed to clean it up properly, and then trailed Masala sauce through the house. And she hadn’t shouted when Dean had staggered into bed, waking her up as he placed his hands on her belly and started singing to the baby.

She’d put up with it because she knew something was wrong. There had never been a doubt in her mind that she’d keep the baby. No one could have persuaded her to abort - even if she was unsure of the timing - but if she’d known the consequences of that one night with Dean when they’d been careless, then she knew she’d have done things differently.

She could feel her old life slipping away, and the relationships she’d slid into with startling ease were putting up more obstacles than she knew how to deal with.

She stared at the pair of them over the table. Both had been out the night before, Seamus singing at the top of his voice, Dean giggling uncontrollably as he’d tried to hush him. It hadn’t mattered. Once she’d realised they were home, she’d locked her door and cast Silencio.

–You okay?” Dean asked.

–Fine,” she replied, hoping she didn’t sound sour.

–You locked your door.”

–I’m sleeping for two,” she snapped. –And I don’t want this baby’s first words to be a drinking song about trolls.”

–Sorry,” Seamus mouthed. He was clutching his head and trying to sip piping hot black coffee, but from the green tinge to his face, Parvati doubted he’d keep even that in his stomach.

–Go back to bed,” she said, –and sleep this off.”

–I’m fine,” Dean said, and standing up he crossed the room to the stove. –Nothing a fry up wouldn’t cure. Eggs and bacon for three?”

–Merlin, no,” Seamus yelped and rushed off to the bathroom.

–For two?” Dean queried, looking at her.

She shook her head and chewed on a piece of dry toast. –I don’t want to put on any more weight,” she grumbled. –I’m the size of a house.”

–Ah, that’ll be the Thomas genes,” Dean replied. He stopped what he was doing, crossed the floor back to her and started to massage her shoulders. –Sorry about last night. Were we really annoying?”

–Yes.” Parvati turned her head, nestling her cheek into his stomach and he bent over her. –Sorry, I know I must seem like such a killjoy, but I’m scared shitless about all of this. Hell, Dean, we’re going to be parents, and I’m not sure I can cope - especially not if you and Seamus are going out on the lash every night.”

–It’s not every night,” he started to say, then stopped speaking as he crouched down on the floor. Dropping a kiss on her stomach, he lifted his face to hers. –I know we were out of order last night, but that’s the last time - I swear. You’re due next month and I’m not missing the birth - okay.”

On his way back from the bathroom to apologise, Seamus halted and watched them through the door. The past months had flown by and he’d watched in curious fascination as Parvati’s body had changed. Intrigue, however, had turned to isolation from that first fluttering kick. She’d squealed and grabbed his hand, inviting him to share. But it was Dean’s baby wriggling inside of her, and Seamus after declaring delight, and withdrawn his hand.

Turning away from the kitchen, he clumped up the stairs and collapsed on his bed. They needed him gone, and he needed ... he needed ... something else.

He’d moved out the week later, telling them it was temporary because they needed time with each other, and telling himself it was time to move on. Now, when he pondered his reasons, he wondered if they knew he wouldn’t be back. Both had protested, but neither had actually stopped him.

The afternoon the baby had been born, he’d taken the Floo to St Mungo’s clutching a huge blue teddy bear.

–Sorry, I was sure yer man was going to have a son,” he’d said, wreathing his face in smiles as he bent to kiss Parvati on the cheek.

–She had other ideas,” Parvati said, and giggled. –Dean made them double check. He was as convinced as you were that I was having a boy.”

–So where is he? And where’s the newest little witch in his life?”

Yawning, she gestured to the corridor. –He’s taken her to see his mum. Grace can’t get through to the wards because of the enchantments, so they have a special waiting room for Muggles.” Then she patted the space on the bed next to her. –It’s lovely to see you, and Baby Patil-Thomas will be thrilled with the teddy whatever the colour.”

Patil-Thomas. –You don’t have a name for her yet, then,” he said neutrally.

–Not yet,” she sighed. –Perhaps you can help us.”

–Yeah, perhaps,” he muttered, but he’d known he wouldn’t.

That night he’d got drunker than he’d ever been, staggering from one pub to another until finally collapsing in a gutter near the Hag’s Nest in Knockturn Alley.

And it was there, as he tried to get to his knees but had stumbled and hit his head, Romilda had found him.


***


The job at the Ministry bored him. There was no doubt it paid well, and could very well have been interesting to a lad fresh out of Hogwarts and keen on earning a steady wage. But life in the newly developed Department of Magical and Muggle Co-operation was not all it had promised. Seamus had applied because he knew he needed a job, but also because he knew he thought his specialist knowledge of Muggle life in Ireland meant he could contribute something. But anyone could do his job. It was basic and involved little more than filing. The only upside that he could see was it once he was married, he could transfer to Paris, and that it stopped him brooding on what might have been.

Except he wasn’t able to switch off his thoughts when Parvati was sitting opposite him.

–You were supposed to be meeting Dean for lunch,” she accused.

–I’m busy!”

–This is the third time you’ve cried off, Seamus. Anyone would think you’re avoiding him ... Or is it me?”

–ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING.”

–I gotta go,” he said, snatching up the organiser - or trying to because Parvati Banished it across the room.

–NO, YOU ARE GOING TO TALK TO ME!” she yelled. –AND I’M A BLOODY SIGHT LOUDER THAN THAT BOOK.”

–ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING.”

–SHUT UP!” they both screamed.

–Finnigan, you will take this dispute elsewhere!” The man irritably opening the door from his secluded office wore a scowl on his face. Seamus groaned when he realised Percy was once again working through his lunch.

–I’m going now,” he replied apologetically. –And Parvati was leaving.”

–Was I?” Furiously she clutched at his arm. –I want to speak to you Seamus. If you have to make this bloody appointment, then I’ll come with you.”

–ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING.”

Ignoring the organiser, he stared at her fingers as they rested on his arm and felt something inside of him give way - just a little. –I guess we do need to talk. Wait for me in the Leaky. I’m only going to Twilfit and Tattings, so I won’t be long.”

She smiled gratefully, and just for a moment, he could see himself back in her arms, his fingers and lips making her dance inside.

–What is she doing here?” whipped someone from the corridor.

Seamus groaned shook himself away from Parvati, and smiled weakly at Romilda.

–Query about the wedding invitation,” he replied smoothly. –Wasn’t sure she could bring Anusha. I said we had no problem on that score.”

–You could have sent me a letter,” Romilda said, turning her gaze on Parvati as she stepped towards Seamus and tucked her arm under his.

–I was passing,” Parvati replied coolly, –and the thing about sending notes is that they can so easily be lost.” She trilled a laugh and looked away from Romilda. –That owl you used for the invitations, Seamus, you really should pension him off. He delivered ours to the derelict house opposite from us.”

–ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING,” screeched the book into the awkward silence.

–Seamus addressed the invitation,” Romilda said clearly. –Perhaps the address was smudged.”

–Or you told the owl somewhere else,” Parvati replied. She gave Seamus a lukewarm smile. –It was only because we were looking for the next door neighbours’ Crup that we strayed in there and saw the invitation on the doormat.”

–You know what my writing’s like, Pav,” Seamus muttered awkwardly. –What did the envelope say?”

–The Crup had chewed it up, so I couldn’t piece it together.”

He smiled, relieved. –Well, there you go, simple mistake and it’s all sorted now. And ... as I said ... we have no problem with you bringing Anusha.”

–Our pleasure,” Romilda said, through tight lips. –And now that’s cleared up, you won’t need to meet up after Seamus’ robe fitting. Or were you after something else?”

–Thought we could catch up, that’s all,” Parvati admitted no longer looking at Romilda but focusing solely on Seamus. –It’s been a while since we talked.”

–What do you have to talk about?” Romilda asked, her hand now lacing into Seamus’.

Parvati shrugged and turned away. Seamus watched as she started to walk to the door, her shoulders sagging. But at the door, she looked back, a small, sad smile on her face, as she pulled out a fine delicate chain and fingered the pendant. –Above everything, Seamus, we were always good friends. I thought we’d gone through far too much in our final year to ever let that go.”

–We’ll catch up soon,” he wanted to say, but Romilda forestalled him.

–You have your invitation, Parvati and yes, you can bring the baby. Just please make sure you sit at the back with her. I would hate our vows to be interrupted by her bawling.”

Parvati blinked and her gaze shifted to Romilda, then back to Seamus. With a quick tug, she pulled off the necklace. –I think, perhaps, you need this more than me,” she murmured and held it out to him. –Don’t worry about Anusha ruining your day. I’ll keep her at home.”

–Parvati, wait,” Seamus called, and wrenching away from Romilda, he caught her hand. –Come on, I can’t get married without my two best mates, being there, can I?”

–I’m sure Dean will come along,” she said softly, –and you know Lavender - any excuse for a new dress. But ...”

–But what?” he asked, ignoring Romilda’s grumbles about how late they were going to be.

–You need people at your wedding day who are only wishing you well. People who want you to be happy together,” Parvati replied. There were tears starting in her eyes, pricking at her spiky lashes. Hastily she dashed them away with her hand. –I want you to be happy, really I do, but I don’t think you will be with her.”

–You’re wrong,” he muttered.

–I hope so,” she whispered, then raised her voice. –And I hope you love him, Romilda because he deserves someone very special.” Then as she walked away, her hand slipping out of his, he saw she’d left the green, sparkling shamrock in his hand.

–ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING.”

–Jesus, Ro, shut that fucking thing up.”

***


Lavender was sitting at her desk thumbing through a report when the owl arrived. She recognised Brooking straight away, because Dean’s owl was a handsome tawny with an odd habit of tilting his head to the left as he landed. He stuck out his leg and Lavender fed it some chocolate buttons as she idly pulled out the message.

‘Went to see Seamus yesterday. He cancelled on Dean - again. Tried to talk to him but bloody Mildew turned up.

I know I shouldn’t have gone there, and now I feel even worse because I stormed out and said I wasn’t going to the wedding.’


–Oh, Parvati,” Lavender groaned.

‘But I just don’t get this. I know he felt awkward with the baby. I know it was tough on him. And I was wrong thinking nothing would change because obviously it did, but ... Lavender, why is he marrying her? He has nothing in common with her, does he?

Merlin, I’m sorry. Rereading this makes me realise what a whiny cow I’ve become. I should be ecstatic, shouldn’t I? I have Dean and I have Anusha, and I need to accept that I can’t have Seamus ... not anymore.

I just wish it didn’t hurt so much.’


–You ready?”

She looked up to see Blaise entering the newsroom, a vague look of impatience on his face, but also resignation because he knew she was always delayed.

–Hell, is that the time?” she murmured. –Sorry, I was finishing up - really I was - but then I got a letter.” She thrust it at him. –From Parvati. She sounds in a dreadful state. I think I should go round.”

She was surprised Blaise took it from her, and even more surprised when he read it because usually he refused to become involved in the detail of Parvati’s unconventional life.

–What do you think?” she asked tentatively.

–That you should go and see her,” he muttered. –But maybe not quite yet.” Perching on the edge of her desk, he perused the letter again whilst she waited in silence for him to speak. –This is interesting.”

–What is? That Parvati’s hurting? Or that she’s not going to the wedding?”

He shook his head, and unconsciously helped himself to one of the sweets in her dish. –Parvati wonders what Seamus sees in Romilda, which I think is pretty obvious.”

–Because she’s great in the sack!” Lavender said scornfully. –I didn’t know you knew her that well.”

He cast her a look, quirking one eyebrow and ignoring the insinuation. –I meant that he’s using Vane as an escape. You told me before he met her that he was drinking heavily. Perhaps he’s just substituted one release for another. And, as they’re moving to France it does mean he won’t have to deal with any of this again.”

–So what is it you find interesting?” Lavender asked him, now mollified by his answer.

–That no one - not even you - has wondered what Vane sees in him.” He raised his hand, silencing her protests. –Hear me out. I know you all love him. You’re Gryffindors and in your eyes none of you can do any wrong, but ... Lavender, he’s hardly the catch of the century. He’s a laugh and a friend but-”

–He’s a very good friend,” she replied waspishly. –And Parvati loves him.”

–Yes, she does,” Blaise agreed, –but why would Vane? Ever since she started here, you’ve come home with stories about her audacious social climbing, her need to get ahead, and her hunger for the best scoops.” He coughed slightly. –Not that ambition is at all bad, and I’ve seen you panting so hard for a story I thought you’d collapse from dehydration.”

–Wow, thanks for that,” she interrupted sourly.

Smirking, Blaise popped a chocolate button in her mouth and flipped her on the nose with his finger. –I don’t think you’re with me because of my connections, though, are you, Miss Brown?”

She snorted. –You don’t have any. Not since Flint ran through all your mother’s money.” Then she frowned, and her eyes flickered towards a pristine desk in the opposite corner. –It bugs me that I don’t know why she’s so set on going to Paris.”

He bent down, touching his lips to her cheek before murmuring, –Perhaps we need to find out, then.” He laughed when she frowned. –Come on, Lavender, you’re the investigative reporter. Tell me what I need to do.”

–Cherchez le ... er ... job opportunity,” she replied and stood up, Summoning her bag and cloak. –I’ll see what I can find out. What are you smirking about, Zabini?”

–Gryffindors. You really make me laugh. All that talk about action, but you never quite believe one of your own can be devious, do you?”

–Watch and learn, Zabini,” she muttered. –Watch and learn.”

–Oi, I thought we were going out for dinner,” he called out as she powered out of the newsroom.

–Dinner in Paris,” she called back. –I’ll pay.”

***


That first time he’d woken up at Romilda’s he’d felt utterly bemused. He’d been drunk the night before and had woken up on her sofa. She padded through from the kitchen, carrying two cups of tea and had set one down on the table in front of him. Then she sat back in the armchair opposite and watched him.

–How did I get here?”

–You’d hurt your head and I didn’t think you were safe going home by yourself.” She sipped at her tea delicately. –You sounded quite upset about something.”

He sat up, then pulled the blanket around him when he realised he was naked. –Merlin, I’m sorry, did we ... er ....”

–We ... almost did, but I think you’d had rather too much to drink.” She smiled. –I had fun, though.”

He reddened as he caught the faint tease in her tone. –Sorry,” he muttered.

She shifted her weight in the armchair; the action caused her dressing gown to gape open, and he spied more than just a hint of cleavage and a pair of white breasts encased in a red lace bra.

–Don’t apologise,” she said. –I told you I had fun, it’s just a shame you were too out of it.” Then Romilda licked her lips. –Perhaps we can rectify that unfairness, Sean.”

–It’s Seamus,” he muttered, not altogether sure he was offended that she couldn’t remember his name.

–Oops - sorry,” she mocked. –I am actually perfectly aware who you are Seamus Finnigan, but, I wonder, do you remember me?”

He frowned slightly and tilted his head to the left as he perused her, taking in the black hair falling to her shoulders, the dark blue eyes and the full red lips. Then he smiled at her. –Romilda Vane, of course. Didn’t we meet last year at a work do of Lavender’s?”

–Mmm, well remembered,” she replied, looking not altogether pleased at the mention of Lavender. –You were with Parvati Patil that night, so I didn’t think you’d noticed me.” Curling her legs underneath, Romilda sat back in her chair and stared out of the window. –I think this is the part, Seamus, where you tell me that the pair of you had had a row, and that whatever happened between us was a mistake.”

Seamus gulped at his tea, spluttering as it scalded the back of his throat. –There wasn’t a row,” he muttered, –but we’re no longer together.”

There was a silence. Romilda finished her tea and set the pink china cup back on its saucer. Then, in one fluid move, she uncurled her legs, stood up and let the dressing gown slip from her body. Almost dropping his cup, Seamus shakily placed it on the table and tried to look away. But she was now stepping towards him, her hips now at his head height as she sashayed over. –In that case,” she murmured, –why don’t we let you have some fun, too?”

Taking his hands, she curled his fingers over the elasticated lace of her knickers and gasped as he tugged them off. Closing his eyes, and his mind from all thoughts of Parvati, Seamus gave in to the scent and feel of Romilda.
End Notes:
Well, I liked writing it, but I understand if it ain't your thing. Why not drop me a line, though. T'would be so sweet!
Chapter 4 -Stag Night by Equinox Chick
–It was a washout, I’m afraid,” Lavender sighed. Accepting the glass of wine from Parvati, she sat down on the sofa and closed her eyes.

–So there’s no other motive for her going to work for La Voix,” said Parvati, –other than the job?”

–She’ll be their British correspondent, and has rather played on her Gryffindor connections to Battle heroes, but that’s all.”

–She was underage!” protested Parvati. –She didn’t fight!”

–She was part of Dumbledore’s Army, though, wasn’t she?”

–Was she?” Dean entered the lounge, carrying three plates of pasta, which he set down on the table.

–Mmm,” Lavender replied as she forked some spaghetti into her mouth.

–OH!” Parvati clutched Lavender’s arm, causing the fork to clatter out of her hand and to the floor. –Sorry,” she muttered, –but ... look, I’ve just remembered something. Romilda’s usefulness to the DA was based on her potions knowledge, wasn’t it? Plus she was devious.”

–OH!” Lavender stopped speaking, her mouth wide open as she took in what Parvati was saying. –You don’t think-”

–It’s possible, isn’t it? Would explain a lot.”

–Would one of you tell me what’s going on?” Dean said, sounding exasperated. –Honestly, the pair of you need to close your mouths before the Nargles get you.”

–Love Potions!” Parvati exclaimed. –Romilda had ‘experience’ with them; you must remember when she spiked those chocolates and Ron ended up eating them.”

–Doubt Lavender will forget,” Dean said, and smirked at her.

Lavender ignored him and frowned remembering their eventful seventh year. Turning to Dean, she explained, –During that year, all our parcels were opened and anything suspicious was confiscated. By Christmas we couldn’t even get hold of Daydream Potions - the Carrows thought they were subversive - and Love Potions were deemed dangerous.”

–Why did you want Love Potions?” Dean asked, confused at the direction this conversation was going.

Parvati took up the tale. –The Slytherins on patrol weren’t very vigilant if they were dreaming about Snape, or snogging each other. Didn’t last that long, but it was enough to get us out of a few situations.”

–And Romilda brewed things for you, did she?”

Nodding, Parvati took a sip of her wine then said, –It was her idea to combine a Love Potion with the Daydream Draught. It was airborne, you see, so we’d waft it out towards them, and that way we wouldn’t have to rely on them eating something we’d spiked.”

–Sounds brilliant.” Dean grinned. –And no one caught on?”

–It was mild, and we chose wisely. As much as we really wanted to see Pansy throw herself at Goyle, we knew she’d become suspicious, so we waited for her to patrol with someone we knew she fancied, like Malfoy or -” Parvati grinned mischievously –- Blaise.”

–What so you-” Dean tried to stifle a laugh at Lavender’s furious face, but he couldn’t and had to put his food down in case he spilt it on the floor.

–No, we didn’t!” Lavender said firmly. –After Christmas, Blaise didn’t patrol with her so it wasn’t necessary.” Glaring at them both, she picked up her glass and swirled the wine around and around, finally stopping to take a sip. –I don’t think she’s drugging Seamus.”

–It makes sense!” Parvati exclaimed.

–No,” Lavender said gently. –He’s clear about what he’s doing.” Then she took Parvati’s hand, holding it between her own, as she tried to think what to say to comfort her. –He told me he loved her, and I think he does ... in his own way.”

There was a wail from an upstairs room. Blinking back a tear, Parvati got to her feet, gesturing to Dean that she’d deal with Anusha. It was when she left the room that Dean started to speak.

–I don’t know what to say to her,” he muttered. –God knows I didn’t want him to leave, but I understood. And I know why he’s marrying Romilda. He wants a new life and ... I can’t blame him for that.”

Her eyes flicking towards the door and seeing no sign of Parvati, Lavender leant forwards, and whispered, –If Anusha had been Seamus’ baby, would you have left?”

–I ...” Dean shook his head, looking bewildered. –I really don’t know. I love Parvati and Anusha so much, and I can’t imagine anything being different. But I miss Seamus, too, you know, and ...” He paused and Lavender saw him swallow. –I’m worried this will break us.”

Touched at the desolation in his voice, Lavender groped for some reassuring words, but in truth she wasn’t sure anymore.

–It was nothing,” Parvati said as she walked back in. –She’s gone back to sleep. What have you two been talking about?”

–Blaise,” Lavender replied smoothly. –Dean was asking where he is and I was explaining that he’s still in France.”

–Why?” Parvati asked. –You’re not thinking about transferring there as well, are you?”

–Nothing like that.” Lavender resumed eating, twirling her spaghetti on the fork. –There was an apothecary near the house Romilda owns, and they promised to order something for him, so he stayed over. He’ll be back early Saturday morning.”

–In time for the wedding,” Parvati intoned. –You’re still going then?”

–Uh ... yes, I may not like Romilda much, but Seamus is a friend.” She turned to Dean. –Are you going?”

Giving Parvati a long glance, Dean nodded, then flicked his eyes back to Lavender. –I’m Best Man. Even got a hand written note from Mildew instructing me on the exact shade of charcoal grey I need for my dress robes.”


***


Seamus was sitting curled up in his favourite armchair when Romilda walked in. From the look on her face, he knew he was in for another evening of wedding day angst and interrogation. He searched his mind, wondering if he’d forgotten something, but his robes were ready, the menu confirmed, and he’d made all the changes to the seating plan that Ro had orde - he corrected himself - that Romilda had ‘asked for’. Fixing a concerned look on his face, Seamus uncurled his legs and held out his hand.

–What’s up, my darlin’?”

–Chicken Pox!” she said angrily. –Ridiculous, isn’t it?”

–Er, I suppose so ...” Seamus trailed off wondering if Romilda had taken a Confundus Curse to the head, but she seemed steady on her feet.”What’s ridiculous, Ro?”

–The Potter children have just gone down with it along with Harry, so none of them are coming!”she seethed. –Seriously, who gets chicken pox when they’re grown up? I know he always goes on about his deprived childhood, but I didn’t think it stretched that far!”

–I’m sure he didn’t do it to spite you,” Seamus mumbled.

She shot him a look. –He’s supposed to be your friend, Seamus. I thought you’d be more annoyed.”

–He is, but there’s not a lot we can do if he’s ill. Is Ginny coming?” he asked, hopefully.

–No, she’s playing Quidditch. Seamus, I told you all this. Really you have a memory like a sieve.” Groaning, she lowered herself onto the arm of his chair, and lent over to peck him on the cheek. –What are you doing, anyway?”

–Writing my vows, as you instructed,” he said, gratified when she smiled back at him.

–May I see?”

–Uh ... I wanted to surprise you on the day,” Seamus replied, then grinned sheepishly. –Sorry, I haven’t got very far. It’s kinda hard to write this stuff down.”

–You’re sweet,” she murmured, and lowered her mouth to his, squeezing alongside him on the chair.

He slid his arms around her waist and started to kiss her neck. Romilda had been so tense recently, that it had been a while since they’d been together. –How about we forget all this wedding stuff and slope off to bed?”

–Ah ha!” Romilda pulled away and laughingly snatched up the parchment he’d been writing on. –Now I have it.”

–Ro, it’s not finished. I haven’t had a chance -”

–’Romilda, my darling’ - Good start, Seamus.” Romilda giggled as she started to read.

–Give it back!”

–No, let me finish. – ‘You came along when I needed something and showed me a different way to be.’ ” Seamus looked down at the ground, wishing that he could be swallowed up. Romilda frowned. –Not sure about that. I don’t think people need reminders of your alternative lifestyle. ‘You bring me light and warmth like the sun.’ That makes you sound like a plant!” She stopped reading. –You didn’t get very far.”

–I told you I wasn’t finished,” he protested.

–We only have four days,” she said firmly. –You need help, Seamus, and as I am the writer in the relationship, then I will help you. Besides, they need to fit with mine.”

He couldn’t help feeling a little relieved. Writing down feelings was almost as bad as articulating them, and he didn’t want to disappoint her. He pecked her on the cheek. –Go ahead, my darlin’, I’m sure it will be wonderful.”

***


In a cafe on ‘La Rue de Melusine’ Blaise stirred his coffee whilst he waited for the apothecary to open up. Opposite, he could see Romilda’s house, the shutters closed against the early morning sun. He’d been observing the house for a day or so now, marvelling at its location in one of the smartest roads in Paris, a road where the occupants of similarly grand houses flaunted their wealth the way peacocks displayed their feathers.

And again he wondered why Romilda Vane was marrying Seamus Finnigan.

He’d never liked Seamus at school. He’d thought him an idiot, and then he’d been jealous of Lavender’s past with him. But after the Battle of Hogwarts, they’d formed ... well, not a friendship exactly, but they got on and could relax in each other’s company when necessary. Seamus was a decent bloke, but Blaise had enough experience with his mother to know that witches like Romilda didn’t marry men decent men - unless they had money.

A waiter sashayed past, holding a tray of steaming coffees which he delivered to four giggling girls, all of whom were eyeing him hopefully.

–A refill, monsieur?” The waited had stopped by Blaise’s table, ignoring the girls as they giggled louder.

–Oui, merci,” Blaise replied.

–Monsieur is English, I think,” said the waiter as he Summoned the coffee pot.

Blaise smiled ruefully. –Is my accent that bad?”

–Non, it is charmant,” replied the waiter. –I ‘ave a sensitive ear, monsieur and I pick these things up. It is a passingtime of mine.”

–Pastime,” Blaise corrected, then smiled. –Sorry, monsieur, that is rude of me. Your English is certainly better than my French.” Waiting for him to finish pouring, Blaise then lent forward. –Tell me, do you know a Mademoiselle Vane? She’s English, too.”

The waiter shook his head. –Non, there are very few English patrons here. The last was Madame Cresson, but she married a Frenchman. That is ‘er ‘ouse that you ‘ave been studying.”

–That house now belongs to the witch I mentioned just now. Madame Cresson was her grandmother.”

–Mademoiselle Vane?” queried the waiter.

Blaise nodded. –You sound surprised.”

–It is ... confusant, that is all,” replied the waiter as he walked away.

–Why?” Blaise called out, but the waiter started to serve someone else and didn’t look back.

Confusant ... confusing. He weighed the words up in his head as he finished his coffee. Then, after leaving some coins on the table, he left the cafe. The French Ministry was a Floo connection away. He didn’t know if he’d need an appointment, but there was something he needed to check out.

***


Since the run in with Parvati, Seamus hadn’t spoken to Dean properly. He’d sent a message apologising again for cancelling lunch, and hoping Dean understood that it was just the wedding preparations. Then he’d repeated his request for Dean to be his Best Man and waited for his response. It had come by return owl, Dean declaring that of course, he’d be his best man, and nothing would keep him away from his mate’s big day. Then they’d met up briefly at Madam Malkins’ but with Romilda supervising the last minute robe alterations they hadn’t had a chance to catch up. Dean’s parting remark had been to say that if there wasn’t a stag night, then the whole deal was off.

And although Dean’s demand made him smile, somewhere inside Seamus wasn’t sure it was what he wanted to hear. The trouble was he had no idea what he wanted to hear from Dean, or Parvati, or anyone else in his life... or rather not in his life.

–You don’t have to go out tonight. I’m not having a hen night.”

Seamus was straightening his shirt and checking his hair when he heard Romilda’s voice. She was sitting by the window in their lounge, staring across at him, but as the room was dark, he couldn’t make out the expression in her eyes. Deciding she was joking, he grinned at her –Fergal will skin me alive if I don’t,” he replied.

–But it’s the night before the wedding. What if they take you off somewhere, and you’re trapped inside a-”

Walking over to her, Seamus stopped her fretting with a kiss. –Don’t worry, I won’t get too drunk. The guys just want to give me a decent send off. And I’m sorry it’s the night before the wedding, but Fergal couldn’t get here earlier.” He kissed her again and smiled ruefully. –We’re not supposed to see each other tonight, anyway, so don’t worry.”

–Who’s going?”

–Uh ... not sure. Neville, obviously, as it’s at the Leaky, Dean, Fergal, Ron - I hope - Terry, Ernie and possibly Justin.”

–With his boyfriend?” Romilda inquired, raising one eyebrow.

Seamus shrugged. Romilda’s question wasn’t out of malice, but he knew she was fishing for a scoop and Justin had always kept his private life very much private. –No idea,” he replied, giving her another kiss.

–What about Blaise, or does Lavender not let him out anymore.”

–Don’t think so. Dean said he was away. France or something.”

–France?” Romilda’s eyes narrowed and he watched as she flicked her hair off her face. –Why did he go there?”

–Ro, darlin’,” he replied, –I never know what’s going on in Zabini’s mind. All I know is that he’ll be back in time for the wedding - or Lavender will castrate him.”

–Any idea where he went?”

–Uh ... I think he has relatives - or step-relatives in Nice, so there, perhaps.” Seamus stopped fiddling with his tie, and turned to look at her. –Why are you so interested in Zabini?”

There was a silence and then Romilda burst into peals of laughter. –Seamus, darling, you sound jealous! I’m not at all interested in him.”

–That’s not what I -” he started to say, but she silenced him with a kiss.

–Go and have fun,” she said, adding as she pulled away. –I put the vows in the inner pocket of dress robes before I had them delivered to yours and Fergal’s hotel room. Make sure you’ve learnt them off by heart, darling.”

Seamus grabbed her again, his hands around her waist as he pulled her up close. –I’ll see you tomorrow, then,” he muttered.

She nodded. There was, he thought, an odd look in her eye, and he wondered if she was about to say something else - perhaps another plea for him to stay home, but instead she held him tight against her.

–Hey, I gotta go,” he murmured, extricating himself. –Don’t worry, though. Even if Dean and Ron Apparate me naked to the Slytherin common room, I’ll get back in time for the wedding, Ro.”

***


The figure Apparating back in the narrow alleyway, staggered briefly whilst he took in his surroundings, and then strode towards the house.

–Open up!” he cried as he hammered on the door. –Parvati! Dean! Open up!”

–All right, all right, there’s no need to - Oh!” Lavender stopped speaking and opened the door. –I thought you weren’t due back until tomorrow morning.”

–Change of plan,” Blaise said. Dropping a brief kiss on her cheek, he pushed his way into the house. –Where’s Dean? And ... why are you here?”

–Dean’s on Seamus’ stag night, and I’m babysitting for Parvati. She’s gone to see Padma,” Lavender explained. Tugging on his arm, she forced Blaise to turn around and face her. –What’s got you in such a state, Zabini?”

–The wedding,” he said grimly. –I know exactly why Vane’s marrying Seamus, and he needs to know the truth!”
End Notes:
Reviews are incredibly welcome, especially as this story seems to be sinking like a boulder in Lake Windermere
Chapter 5 -The Princess Bride by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
Did I thank Julia (the opaleye) for suggesting the name of the French newspaper? If not - sorry. If yes, then have another thank you. :)

The Leaky Cauldron was always busy on a Friday night, and thanks to Seamus’ stag night, it was absolutely heaving with former school friends - all of whom were determined to wave Seamus’ single life off in great style.

He’d turned up at eight, to see Dean and Ron already getting stuck into the beer, and soon Seamus was well away as friend after friend bought him a drink, all clapping him on the back. And as he drank, laughing raucously, he forgot about Romilda’s odd mood - or rather he dismissed it as pre-wedding nerves. She loved him - that was why she was jittery- scared in case he backed out.

–The thing ish,” he slurred to Ron, –you have to take yer chances, don’t you? Ro loves me - yer know? She proposed ‘cause she lovesh me.”

–That’s good.” Ron nodded, his elbow skidding off the table. –Herm-inny kished me first. I wanted to, but she-” He waved his hand at something - perhaps batting away a Nargle. –Doeshn’t matter, anyway, Seamush. We’re still together, so who cares who asked who and all that stuff.”

–Damn right,” Seamus agreed, then caught Dean’s eye. –I want more bee-ee-eer.”

–Coming up,” Dean called back, and signalled to Hannah for another jug. –Can’t have you sobering up.”

–S’good of you to come,” Seamus mumbled as Dean slumped in a seat next to him. –I know you don’t like Romilda-”

–When have I ever said that?” Dean protested. –I don’t know her, that’s all.”

–You don’t want me marrying her, though,” Seamus sighed, looking blearily up at Dean.

–If you’re happy, then I’m happy,” Dean assured him. He leant towards him, thinking now could be a good time for a proper talk, now that Seamus was relaxed. –You are happy, aren’t you?”

–’Course I am, Oh, Jaysus, what’s Fergal doing?”

Groaning inwardly at the distraction, nonetheless, Dean couldn’t stop laughing at the sight of Fergal now dancing on a table with a very pretty witch. With his hair an even brighter shade of red than Ron’s, Fergal was very noticeable and it was unfortunate that the moment he placed his hand on the girl’s bum, her boyfriend leapt on the table and tried to throw a punch.

–Seamus!” Hannah shouted as she separated the men with a Shield Charm. –I’m not having a brawl in my pub. Either your cousin calms down, or you find somewhere else to celebrate.” There was a crash as Fergal fell off the table, still spoiling for a fight. –Second thoughts, I’d like you out of here.”

–Aww, Hannahhhhh, I thought you loved me,” Seamus complained. He got to his feet, unsteadily, and for a moment Dean thought he was going to moan some more, but then he blew her a kiss. –Well, I love you, my darlin’ barmaid, but I take your point. We shall take our leave of your fine establishment.” He bowed to her, nearly hitting his head on the table and then called for the others to follow him out. Throwing some money on the table, Dean ran after them, leaving only Neville to help his wife straighten chairs and placate the wizard and his girlfriend.


–Longbottom, thank Merlin!”

Looking puzzled, Neville looked up to find himself being addressed by Blaise Zabini.

–Where’s Seamus? And Dean?” he asked.

–Not sure,” Neville replied. –You’re a bit late for the stag night, though. They’re well on their way to unconsciousness.”

–Where did they go? What direction?” rapped Blaise.

–No idea,” Hannah replied. –Is it important?”

–You could say that,” Blaise muttered. He gritted his teeth, wondering what to do now. They could have gone anywhere, and if Seamus was as drunk as Neville said, then he wouldn’t remember any conversation. –Hell, it will have to wait until morning.”


***


As he staggered off the Knight Bus and meandered home (wondering why the pavement was swirling oddly), Dean chuckled to himself. It had been a good night; Seamus and Fergal were in fine form, and Dean had no qualms now about the wedding. Although he knew he’d miss Seamus, he accepted his decision and was starting to think it was for the best. In time, perhaps, Parvati might see things differently. Maybe her and Romilda would become friends ... He snorted. That was unlikely. Parvati and Lavender had never liked her at Hogwarts, and he couldn’t see that changing. Maybe they’d ‘accept’ her, though, and it wouldn’t be awkward going out together as couples.

Although going to Paris for a night out was going to be difficult.

Moodily he kicked a stone, his exuberant mood evaporating. Whichever way he looked at it, and however much he wanted Seamus to be happy, Dean didn’t want him to go.

–Where have you been?” were Parvati’s first words when he stumbled through the door.

–Um, the Leaky, then this horrible Muggle nightclub,” Dean replied, trying to consciously not slur. –Didn’t expect you to wait up, sweetheart.” Then, peering around her, he saw Blaise. –You missed a great night, Zabini - really great.”

–Where’s Seamus?” Blaise asked.

–Uh ... with Fergal. They were trying to find a pub with a lock-in. Ron and I decided to leave when they started singing.”

Blaise turned away, instead looking at Parvati. –It’ll have to wait until later.”

–What will?” Dean asked.

–We need to see Seamus,” Parvati explained. –Is he going back to his flat tonight?”

Dean shook his head. –He’s staying somewhere with Fergal. Not sure where.”

Blaise muttered something under his breath that Dean was fairly sure was his way of expressing irritation at Dean’s ineptitude. Then, in a gesture that surprised Dean, he gave Parvati’s arm a squeeze. –Don’t worry, we’ll find him tomorrow. It’s not too late.”

–Is someone going to tell me what’s going on?”

–I will.” Parvati sounded weary. After giving Blaise a small peck on the cheek and showing him to the door, she turned back to Dean. –I’ll make some coffee. You need to sober up before I explain.”

***


Turning up at ten the next morning, Lavender barely waited for Parvati to open the door before storming inside, followed with intent, but a lot less haste, by Blaise.

–Okay, so what’s the plan?” Lavender demanded.

–Lovely to see you, too, Lavender,” Dean muttered, as he wandered downstairs, clutching his head.

Ignoring him, Lavender and Blaise followed Parvati into the lounge. Anusha stared up at them from her blanket on the floor and gurgled contentedly when Dean crouched next to her to give her a tickle on the tummy. –You, my sweetheart, have got to be a very good girl for your Auntie Padma, today,” he whispered. –Daddy and Mummy have got important things to do.” Then he looked over to Lavender. –The plan is to find Seamus and tell him - simple.”

–Except we don’t know where he is,” Parvati interrupted. She shot him a look of pure exasperation. –All Dean knows is that he’s not at his flat. Romilda’s there, so he’s staying in a hotel with his family.”

–Have you tried sending an owl?” Blaise asked.

–First thing this morning,” Parvati replied. Picking up Anusha, she balanced her on her hip and walked towards the door. –But Brooking returned with the message intact. There could be a charm around the hotel preventing magical interference as it’s in a Muggle area. And if Seamus is in half the state Dean was last night, he won’t be awake yet.”

–Not willingly,” Dean muttered, but softly so only Lavender could hear.

–I can’t wait here doing nothing!” snapped Parvati. –I’m going to take Anusha to Padma’s. You three can work out how the hell we find Seamus.”

As she left the room, the three of them sat down, all pondering the problem. Lavender started running through hotels in the area, hoping to spark Dean’s memory, but he shook his head at every one, nothing provoking a reaction. In the end, he walked off to the kitchen to make them all strong coffee.

–Would Neville know?” Lavender said, turning to Blaise. –Or Hannah?”

Blaise shook his head. –Neither of them mentioned it, and they knew I was after him. I think we’re going about this the wrong way.” Lavender raised one eyebrow but let him continue. –Cherchez la femme. Vane will know exactly where he is. We just need to think of a reason for being there.”

–Oh, well that’s easy!” Lavender said, and got to her feet. –Come on, Zabini. Let’s go and crash Mildew’s wedding preparations.”

–On what pretext?”

–I’m going to interview her.” Laughing at the expression on Blaise’s face, she pulled on his arm. –Romilda won’t be able to resist bragging - especially if I tell her McLaggan’s ordered me there.”

–And why do you need me?” Blaise asked, but stood up anyway.

–There’s no way I can get a photographer, not without authorisation. And you know what Romilda’s like,” Lavender replied, a slight edge to her voice. –She won’t be able to resist posing for you.”

***


Romilda took a deep breath as she stared at her reflection. With her hair wrapped in a warm towel as it soaked in Sleekeazy hair potion, she nibbled on a croissant. Her face creased into a frown when she heard a clatter from the lounge as her aunt set up an ironing board. Why she hadn’t ironed the dress last night when asked, Romilda had no idea. But at least it was getting done now - and not in the kitchen near the coffee pot.

In the mirror, she saw her brand new suitcases stacked together in the corner, ready to leave for Paris tomorrow. She wasn’t taking much; most of her life here in London she could afford to leave behind. In France, she would start a new life, free from the threat of penury. She wondered if she’d miss this flat. True, it had provided an escape from her dad’s ramshackle bungalow in Essex, and it was in a decent part of London, but when she considered the house in Paris, this was nothing.

Next to her suitcases was Seamus’ trunk. It was the same trunk he’d used at school and although Romilda had tried to dissuade him from packing his possessions in it, Seamus had held firm. He was attached to his trunk, and wouldn’t leave it behind.

I shall store it in the wine cellar, she thought. Unwrapping the towel, she let her hair fall - still damp - down her back, then tugged her comb through the black tresses. She’d used the last of her hair potion for today, but it would be worth it. Today she would look like a princess, and tomorrow - as Mrs Vane-Finnigan, she would become a queen.

A tapping at the door interrupted her reverie. –Mildy,” he aunt cried. –There are some people here to see you.”

–Can you deal with it?”

–They say they’re from the paper. Something about an article?” Aunt Jemima’s voice rose an octave as she trilled from the other side of the door. Puzzled, Romilda tightened the bathrobe around her waist, checked her reflection once more, and called for them to enter.

–Oh, it’s you,” she said disdainfully, only moderating her tone when she saw Lavender was accompanied by Blaise.

–Hello, Mild- er, Romilda,” Lavender said, a beaming smile on her face. She raised her hands, palms outstretched and cried, –Surprise! As a wedding present, Preston has decided to feature your wedding in The Sunday Prophet. Isn’t that exciting?”

–And he sent you?” Romilda said dubiously. –I thought you loathed these society things.”

–Oh I do, usually,” Lavender said, sighing as she sat on the edge of the bed and gestured for Blaise to come in. –But he knew I was invited, and I suppose he thought you’d be happier with a senior reporter.”

–Mmm, yes, someone of your ageis more relaxing than some dumb youngster fresh out of Hogwarts, I suppose. And we all have to start winding down at some stage, don’t we?” Romilda replied and smirked when Lavender pursed her lips.

She wasn’t altogether surprised when Lavender didn’t snap back; she knew her rival was too wise to rise to the bait, not when she so clearly had an ulterior motive.

–I’m not sure you should be in my bedroom,” she said, and coyly fluttered her eyelashes at Blaise. –I don’t want that sort of picture spread all over the society pages.”

He looked discomforted and moved to the door, but Lavender stopped him with a small cough and a shake of her head.

Interesting, Romilda thought. –How shall we start this then, Lav?”

–Hmm,” Lavender looked around the room, her eyes fastening on the suitcases and then to Seamus’ trunk. –What are you hoping married life will bring you, Miss Vane?”

–Untold riches,” Romilda replied, adding, –of the heart, naturally. I’m marrying the love of my life, my soulmate and I cannot wait for us to be joined as one.”

She saw a very definite spasm flick across Lavender’s face, and grinned inwardly at the attempt Lavender made to keep on smiling. Continuing to comb her hair, she fielded another few questions with aplomb, again emphasising how happy she was and grateful to have found Seamus.

–Is he around?” Lavender asked casually. –Only we’d love to speak to him, too.”

–Of course not,” Romilda trilled. –It’s bad luck to see each other the morning of the wedding. The next time you see Seamus, will be at the altar, Lav, darling. You should know that.”

–Well, could we drop in on him?”Lavender asked, again very casually as if it wasn’t that important.

–Speak to him after the wedding,” Romilda said sweetly. –Darling Seamus went out last night and needs all the sleep he can get.”

Turning back to the mirror, she levitated her hairdryer and then closed her eyes as some strands whipped across her face. Over the noise of the dryer, she heard a sound, something small, slow and almost imperceptible. She opened her eyes. In the mirror, she could see Blaise, now at the back of the bedroom, his hand curled around a piece of paper on the bedside cabinet.

–Give that back!” she yelled, and grabbed her wand. She tried to Summon the note, but Blaise held on fast.

–Name of a hotel,” Blaise said to Lavender. –Must be where Seamus is staying.”

–Fantastic!” Lavender exclaimed. –We can go there before the wedding starts. Won’t take long. The groom’s side is never as interest-”

–Are you listening to me?” raged Romilda, and raised her wand. –Give me that address. You do NOT need to speak to Seamus.”

–Interests of balance,” Lavender retorted. –Not something you’d know about, Mildew. Come on, Zabini, let’s scram.”

But before either of them could get to the door, Romilda had slammed it shut. –You can’t Apparate,” she said coolly. –And I’m not letting you out of here until you tell me what this is all about.”

–Interview for the Soc-”

–Don’t give me that crap!” Romilda yelled. –I know McLaggen hasn’t sent you here to write an article.”

–He has,” Lavender bluffed. –Can’t say I was happy about it, but you know what our editor is like, Mildew. What he says goes. And if he wants you spread all over The Sunday Prophet, then -”

–He’ll ask a proper journalist and not a hack who can’t lie her way out of a paper bag.” Snorting derisively, she perused Lavender. –Which is why I’m writing it, Brown, and it’s being syndicated in La Voix as well. So ...” Before Lavender or Blaise could react, she released two cords from her wand and watched in satisfaction as they snaked around her two antagonists, binding them tight.

–Tell me why you’re really here.”

–It’s like this,” Lavender said, struggling against the ropes. –McLaggan thinks you’ll be too emotional to write this properly, so he persuad-”

–Oh, shut up, Lav, before I make you,” Romailda said, and yawned deliberately. She smiled and switched her attention to Blaise, who in contrast to Lavender had remained passive. –You were in Paris, weren’t you?”

Blaise nodded. –I went to their Ministry, Vane, and discovered just why you’re marrying Seamus.”

–I love him,” Romilda said sharply.

–But you haven’t told him about the will, I bet!” Lavender exclaimed.

–Silencio!” Romilda hissed, then stepped closer to Blaise. He was a Slytherin and understood the means to obtain what one desired. –I don’t know how you put up with that whining voice all the time, Blaise.”

–Have you told him?” Blaise asked and backed away from her. –It might not make a difference, Romilda.”

–I never took you for a fool, Zabini. Seamus is far too Gryffindor for me to have confided in.”

–Do you really love him?”Blaise asked.

Shrugging, Romilda Summoned her make-up bag. –About as much as he really loves me,” she muttered. –And once we’re married it won’t matter. Either way, I win. Right, I need to get ready, so if you two would ... hmm, where shall I put you? Ah, that’s an idea.” She waved her wand and the wardrobe door flew open. –In you go, or I’ll hex you both, and I’ll take your wands, as a precaution.”

As Romilda extracted their wands, smirking at Lavender as she slowly pulled Blaise’s from the inner pocket of his robe and pressed herself against him, she pushed them both into the wardrobe. –How sad you won’t be making the wedding, Lavvy, darling. Perhaps if you’d caught my bouquet, Blaise would have finally married you.”

***


Unable to bear sitting around at home waiting for news, Dean Apparated to Diagon Alley and made his way to the Leaky Cauldron. He knew it was a long shot, but maybe Seamus had said something to Hannah or Neville. And long shots were all he and Parvati had at the moment.

Hannah was clearing up when he arrived. She opened the door, complaining that she wasn’t serving anyone yet, but stopped when she sae who it was.

–You look dreadful. That’s not just a hangover.”

–It’s nothing,” he dismissed. –Hannah, look, I’m sorry to bother you, but I really need to find Seamus. Did he tell you where he was staying?”

She shook her head. –You haven’t lost the ring have you?”

–No, no, nothing like that.”

–That’s good to hear, or I’d have had to flay yer alive!” exclaimed a voice from inside. Peering around the door, Dean laughed with relief, for there helping Hannah unstack tables was a man with vibrant red hair. –I thought I should help the lovely Mrs Longbottom clear up after all the trouble I caused last night.”

–Fergal, thank Merlin. Where’s Seamus?”

–Snoozing like a good un. Nothing short of a brawl in his bedroom is gonna wake him.”

–Address?” Dean asked impatiently.

–Sounds serious,” Fergal replied, but he stopped what he was doing and fished out a card from his back pocket. –Here you go. He won’t be conscious, though, and when I was leaving Romilda’s dad had turned up saying we weren’t to disturb him. Feckin’ huge he is. I wasn’t gonna argue.”

Apparating away, Dean staggered as he landed outside the house. In his hurry, he hadn’t concentrated and could feel pain ripping through him. He looked down and clutched his leg. –Parvati!” he yelled. –Are you there?”

The front door flew open. –Have you found out where he is?” Parvati said, her voice breathless and anxious. Then her eyes widened in horror. –What’s happened?”

–Splinched myself,” Dean muttered, and limped past her. –I’m fine. It’s just a bit of skin, but ... Jesus ...”

Helping him to the kitchen, Parvati sat Dean in a chair, and rattled through a drawer to find the bottle of Dittany. –You shouldn’t Apparate with a hangover,” she muttered, in reproof.

–I needed to get back to you,” he said. –I ran into Fergal and know where Seamus is.”

Parvati’s hands stopped moving, the Dittany dripping from the bottle and onto the floor. Taking the bottle from her, Dean sprinkled it on the wound, relief spreading through him as the skin healed. –There’s a problem, though. I think Romilda might have caught on because her dad’s on guard.”

–We need to get there,” Parvati said, quietly but fiercely.

–I know.” Dean paused, and then, reaching across, pulled her close while he stroked her hair. –We’ll find him, but ...”

–But what?”

–He might not care. Blaise reckons he’s marrying Romilda to escape this whole situation.”

–I know, but I can’t do nothing. Not this time.”

Pulling away from her, Dean stared into her eyes, seeing the tears kept at bay, and he knew she was right. –We should have had this out with him, shouldn’t we? Instead, I pushed it to the back of my mind. I never realised he was so depressed ...”

–Until he left,” agreed Parvati, choking back a sob.

–Come on, let’s go and find him. We can at least talk, yeah?”

–Yeah,” she murmured. Then she sniffed, and straightened up. –Hold on, there’s something we might need if we’re to get past Mildew’s dad.”

–What’s ... OH!” Dean grinned as he watched her rummaging through one of the kitchen cabinets, and pulling out a vial. –That was a good night, but do you think it’ll still work?”

–It has to. I don’t think duelling Daddy Vane in the middle of a Muggle hotel will make us popular with the Ministry.”
End Notes:
Thank you all for reading this far - two more chapters to go. (This is all written, btw)
Chapter 6 -Father of the Bride by Equinox Chick
Author's Notes:
The wedding vows in this chapter were nicked from a sad internet site. Seriously, I couldn't invent anything that bad.

Inside the wardrobe, encased behind the heavy pine doors, Blaise began to shiver. He shifted into the corner, trying to find more space, but the movement dislodged an old set of Seamus’ dress robes; they engulfed him. Heart beating quicker now, he gulped at the stifling air, his psyche imploding as he tried desperately not to think of himself trapped. Aware his breath was now coming out in short bursts, he tried to wipe his clammy face on his shoulder and take control, but everything was flooding back.

The trunk his mother’s fourth husband had shut him in when he’d dared to disobey at the age of nine had left him with nightmares for years, but it was nothing compared to the incident eight years before when he was trapped in a cabinet with a Kappa for a guard, intent on keeping him there forever. He thought he’d recovered, but the incident now reverberated through his mind as fresh as if it were happening again.

–Help me help me help me.” His voice punched out a rhythm in time to his foot kicking against the door.

–Now, now,” called Romilda, –You can’t kick your way out. I’ve charmed the door several times, so you’re very secure in there. I’d make yourselves comfortable; the charm will wear off ... eventually.”

–Please,” Blaise tried to rasp, but then he felt a shin pressing against his ankle, and that contact, that sign that he was not here alone stopped the words on his lips. Hearing Lavender shuffle towards him, he moved his legs to one side, trying to accommodate her next to him.

The door of the bedroom opened and closed, with Romilda wishing them a cheery goodbye.

–Help me,” he muttered to Lavender.

She couldn’t speak; Romilda’s Silencing spell was still intact, but instead Lavender raised her lips to his, kissing him softly. He felt his shoulders relax, the knots in his neck slowly easing away.

–Thank you,” he muttered, and stopped kicking the door. –We have to get out.”

He felt her head nodding on his chest, and then she sat up and he knew she was examining what she could see of the wardrobe.

–Shame you’re not a hand witch,” he said. –Mind you, whether they could do anything with their hands bound is another matter,” he continued, knowing he was babbling, but anything to stop the rising tide of panic if they didn’t get out.

In reply, she kissed him again, then turned around, shifting to her knees and in front of him. Her fingertips touched his wrists, working their way to the cords in slow restricted movements. He understood and tried to unclench his muscles, slackening the ties so she could pick at the knots.

It was slow tedious work; the cords were smooth and Lavender’s fingers slippery, yet she didn’t stop, only jerking her head up when they both heard the front door slam shut.

Coughing and spluttering, she heaved a huge breath, her voice wheezing out. –Thank Christ for that.” She turned back to the knots, pausing only to add, –What the hell is a ‘hand witch’?”

Blaise laughed. –A witch who doesn’t use a wand, I read about them somewhere.”

–Underage magic, you mean,” Lavender said. Then she whooped with joy, her fingers finally undoing the tightest of the knots around his wrists. –There, you don’t need a hand witch when you have ‘light-fingered Lavender’ at your service.”

She quickly divested him of his bondage, and then Blaise set about undoing the cords that bound her, pausing only to kiss her once or twice.

–Stop it,” she demurred, and held her hands out to him. –We still need to get out of this wardrobe and find Seamus.”

–Well,” Blaise replied, –if her Silencing Charm broke as soon as she left the house, then this one might break sooner than she thinks.”

–And you remember the hotel address?” she asked.

–Yeah, some place in Victoria.” He pulled at the cords, quickly untangling the knots and released Lavender. Then, shifting so his back was against the back of the wardrobe, he resumed kicking the doors, praying something would give.

–Blaise, that’s not going to work,” she said gently, and touched him on the arm. –I know what you’re going through, but we just have to sit this out. And at least this time you’re not alone.”

***


Seamus woke when the pretty receptionist - primed by Romilda - called up to his room, to tell him breakfast was on its way. Blearily, he opened his bedroom door to a waiter carrying a silver tray. Licking his lips, Seamus gave the man a tip then bore the dome-covered plate to his dressing table. But instead of the expected fry-up of bacon, eggs, sausages and tomatoes, he stared in disgust at the large bowl of muesli swimming in milk.

–Bloody rabbit food,” he muttered to himself. Romilda had been nagging him about his diet for a while now, but he hadn’t thought she’d be strict on his wedding day. This was hardly the condemned man’s breakfast he’d ordered with Fergal yesterday afternoon.

He swilled some of the orange juice around his mouth, wishing it was strong black coffee, but the pot in front of him contained something that looked suspiciously weak, and when he took a sniff, he realised it was camomile tea.

She’s got my best interests at heart, he tried to tell himself, but it was with a feeling of gloom that he sat down and began to eat. His elbow dislodged something on the dresser, parchment fluttering to the floor. Bending down to pick it up, he guiltily bit his lip. His vows. He hadn’t looked at them yet. Finishing the orange juice, he unfurled the paper and read.

***


Because Victoria was a part of London heavily populated by Muggles, Dean and Parvati could not Apparate there. Instead, they drove their rather battered Mini Cooper through the streets of London, with Dean cursing the fact that Seamus’ wedding coincided with the football playoffs, so the roads were jam-packed with cars driven by rival sets of fans. Their progress was slow, and looking across, Dean could see Parvati’s hands clenching and unclenching as she tried not to glance at the clock.

–We’ll get there,” he insisted.

–What if we don’t?” she muttered. –Hell, we should have left a message for Lavender in case she goes back to our house.”

Dean swallowed, not wanting to admit that the silence from Lavender and Blaise had worried him. If Romilda had caught on, then it was going to be even harder to get in to see Seamus.

–Perhaps they’ve gone directly there.”

–Without telling us?” She sounded anxious, and Dean knew she was as worried as he was.

Stopping at the traffic lights, he took his hand off the wheel and squeezed her thigh. –Lavender and Blaise can take care of themselves. We need to concentrate on Seamus.” Then he whooped and pointed ahead. –Look, there’s the street. Now all we need is a parking spot.”

She groaned. –That could take forever. We should have Apparated.”

Shaking his head, Dean grinned. –There’s a trick to this,” he murmured as he turned into the street and slowed down, scanning the gaps. He stopped before one, a space that would barely fit a broom, and pulled out his wand.

–What are you doing? You can’t Vanish the cars. We’ll be discovered.”

–Extending the space,” Dean explained. To his satisfaction, as he backed in to park, the road shifted under his wheels, allowing him to ease into the space.

–You’re a genius,” she breathed.

–I’m a Londoner,” he replied succinctly, and got out of the car. –I know how bloody impossible it is to park in this city.”

Taking a breath, Parvati linked hands with him. –Come on, let’s go and find Seamus.”

–You do have a plan, don’t you?” Dean replied as he peered through the dark glass door of the small hotel. –Only there’s a bloke sitting at the bottom of the stairs, and he looks a lot like Mildew. I don’t know how we’ll get past him.”

Reaching into her pocket, Parvati pulled out the vial. –Polyjuice Potion, remember? All I need to do is grab a hair from someone who works here, and I’ll be able to go anywhere.”

–Brilliant, but ...” Dean trailed off.

–What’s the problem? He’s not going to suspect a hotel worker, is he?”

–Yeah, that part’s great, but how are you going to get Seamus out of there. You could Disillusion him, I suppose, but, look, don’t take this the wrong way, your Disillusion Charms don’t work very often, and we only have one crack at this.”

–Okay, okay,” she said irritably. Then, without warning, she handed the Polyjuice Potion over to Dean, and hissed. –Stay out of sight, until I’ve lured him away.”

–Parv... what the?” But it was too late to protest. Parvati was pushing open the doors and calling out loud for Seamus. Doing as he was told, Dean ducked behind a pillar and watched as Parvati approached the reception desk, demanding to know where Seamus was as she had some very important information for him.

Mr Vane fell directly into the trap, leaving his chair at the bottom of the stairs and striding towards her.

–Finnigan doesn’t want you here,” he said, pulling her roughly on her shoulder. Throwing some money on the desk and bidding the receptionist to say nothing, he frogmarched Parvati to the front door. –My daughter warned me about you. Now, keep that,” he prodded her nose with a fat finger, –out of things that don’t concern you, missy.”

–I need to speak to Seamus,” she shrieked hysterically, and twisted herself around, thus ensuring that Mr Vane’s back was towards Dean. Taking his cue, he snuck past them and legged it up the stairs, thankful that the receptionist’s attention was on the ensuing row.

Dean raced up the stairs, unwilling to risk the old rickety lift, in search of Seamus’ room. Fergal had said it was number fifty-four, but he hadn’t mentioned which floor it was. As Dean took the steps, three at a time, and pounded along the corridors, he soon realised it was on the fifth floor - right at the top.

–Seamus!” he called, banging on the door. –Let me in!”

The door opened and there, still in his pyjamas, stood Seamus, his hair messy as always. The only thing missing was the ever-present smile, instead he looked drawn.

–You can’t marry her!” Dean blurted out as he leapt into the bedroom, and closed the door. –Well, look, you can if you want, but you’ve got to hear-”

–I know,” Seamus said, interrupting.

–You know about the will?”

Seamus shook his head in bemusement. –What will?”

–Romilda’s Gran’s will. The house in Paris,” Dean explained, his voice coming out in gasps. He frowned. –You don’t know, do you?”

–What are you on about?”

Dean took a breath and sat on the edge of the bed. –I need to start from the beginning. Please listen. And don’t get annoyed until you’ve heard me out.”

–Sure, but I don’t know what diff-”

–Shh!” Dean ordered. Seamus sat meekly on the chair and listened. –Okay, Lavender and Blaise went to Paris on Tuesday. We were ... uh ... worried about you, and Lavender couldn’t work out why Romilda was taking a job with La Voix, which is a far less important newspaper than The Prophet.” He looked at Seamus, daring him to interrupt, but Seamus signalled for his to continue. –Anyway, Lavender came back because it all seemed above board, but Blaise stayed on and while he was there he struck up a conversation with a waiter. The waiter seemed surprised to hear that Mademoiselle Vane had inherited the Cresson estate.”

–Her mum died when she was fourteen and she’s the only grandchild. I don’t see what the issue is,” Seamus said, but he wasn’t protesting merely stating a fact.

–Yeah, she is, but something about the waiter’s words interested Blaise, so he went to the French Ministry and managed to get a look at Madame Cresson’s will. There’s a stipulation attached; a peculiarity of the Cresson legacy and ... uh ... shit, mate, I hate to tell you this, but Romilda’s marrying you because of the will.”

–What do you mean?”

Swallowing, Dean continued. –She has to be married to inherit, and she has to be married before she’s twenty-five. It’s some odd law of pureblood French wizards, I think, but an unmarried witch can’t inherit anything from the Cresson line.”

–That’s unbelievable,” Seamus murmured.

–I’m not making this up,” Dean protested. –Look, this might not make a difference, Seamus. You might be able to look past this, but I had to tell you, okay.”

Seamus blinked. He stared at Dean, then at the bowl of stodgy muesli and the small roll of parchment still in his hand. Something on the dresser caught his eye; a small green charm that he’d meant to mend and send back to Parvati, telling her to consider it a gift for Anusha, but that wouldn’t be necessary now.

–It doesn’t make a difference,” Seamus replied, then smiled wryly when Dean started to argue. He handed Dean the parchment. –My wedding vows, or rather the ones Ro wrote for me, ‘cause I couldn’t string the words together.”

Dean glanced at the paper and began to read. –’Romilda, my darling, I have been looking for you for a long time. Before I met you, I felt like I was staggering blindly in the dark’.” Dean tried not to smirk as he thought of Seamus staggering home when drunk. –’ And then you appeared ...a bright shining star that made me see again and brought me back to life.’”

He glanced at Seamus who gestured for him to continue reading. –On this day, I vow to take care of you because, Ro, I always know you have my best interest in your heart. A heart that is full and rich with love, generosity, and caring beyond all the universe. You are the most beautiful person inside and out and I am the lucky one because you have already given me everything I have ever wanted... I love you, my shining star.’ God, she thinks a lot of herself!” Dean exclaimed, and then he stopped because Seamus was staring at him, his face awash with desolation.

–She’s not my star,” Seamus said miserably. –She never will be.”

–She’s not Parvati,” Dean agreed softly. He shuffled towards him, and clasped Seamus’ hand. –Please come back. We miss you so bloody much.”

–Things have changed,” Seamus mumbled. –We’re not the same, are we? And we can’t go back to the way things were.”

–No, we can’t,” Dean agreed, –but that doesn’t mean you have to get married.”

Seamus sniffed, and looking at him, Dean could see tears in his best friend’s eyes. –Where’s Parvati?” he asked. –Why is it only you here?”

–She’s outside arguing with Mildew’s dad. I think Romilda knows we know because he’s been guarding the stairs and not letting anyone through. Parvati wants you back, mate. We both do, but if you can’t come back, then that’s fine. Just ... don’t run away from us.”

Seamus chewed his lip; he glanced at the door, then at the pot of camomile tea. –How am I going to get out of this? Ro’s dad is a big bastard.”

–Fortunately, Parvati thought of that,” Dean said, and smirked as he pulled out the vial of Polyjuice Potion. –There’s just over an hour to the wedding. We swap places. You walk out of here as me, and then just before the wedding, I reappear.” He kissed the vial. –Perfecto!”

–You sound like Zabini!” Seamus snorted. –Jabbering away in Italian to impress the birds.”

–As long as I’ve convinced you, I don’t give a toss,” Dean replied and uncorked the vial. –What do you say?”

Seamus studied him, perusing the face of his long-term friend and seeing only love and sincerity there. He raised a hand to his head and, with a sharp tug, pulled out a hair. –Come on, then, let’s get started.”

He shared the potion out into the empty glass of orange juice and the unused cup for the camomile tea, and then both men dropped a hair into the liquid and swapped cups.

–Down it!” Seamus exhorted.

It was amusing watching Dean change into him. He watched Dean’s black close-cropped curls change to floppy sandy hair, and saw his face lighten, and stared into the mirror as his nose widened, and his eyes darkened.

–Have you put on weight?” he asked Dean.

–All muscle!” Dean retorted. Then he frowned. –You’ve lost weight, I think.”

–Rabbit food diet does that to you,” Seamus replied in disgust. –Come on, we need to get changed.”

Divesting himself of his pyjamas, he hastily scrambled into Dean’s jeans and t-shirt whilst Dean wandered across to the wardrobe. –Shall I put the wedding robes on?”

Seamus nodded. –Probably for the best. No one will suspect if I ... I mean you, play along with it.” He stopped tucking in his shirt and stared across at Dean. –Is this right? Shouldn’t I sit down with Ro and talk this through with her?”

Dean considered, his hand on the door of the wardrobe, then he shrugged. –It’s up to you, mate, but do you really think she’s going to let you get away now? She’s probably got a love potion set up just in case.” Then, as he pulled the robes over his head, he shot Seamus another glance. –Parvati’s outside. Just talk to her, and then if you decide you want to marry Romilda, you can come back.”

Before he could reply, there was a noise outside the room and the sound of heavy footsteps on the stairs.

–Quick!” Dean exhorted, and tugged on Seamus’ arm. –You don’t have time to think. Play along with me and get out of here.”

Seamus blinked then nodded.

–Get the feck out!” Dean shouted, opening the door of the bedroom and propelling Seamus into the corridor.

–Not till you’ve seen sense!” Seamus replied, trying desperately not to break into laughter.

–I have seen sense, Dean. You just can’t feckin’ accept it, you fecker.”

–Go easy on the Irishisms,” Seamus muttered, then pulled his face straight as his would be father-in-law reached the top stair. –You really want this? You really want to marry her?”

–Yeah, I love her and nothing else feckin’ matters. So leave, NOW,” Dean yelled, and shoved Seamus into Mr Vane’s arms

–Seamus, I’m your best man!”

–Not any longer. Get out!” Dean shouted, and slammed the door leaving Seamus alone with Mr Vane.

–You heard what he said, Thomas. You need to get out of here, and take that scraggy girlfriend of yours with you!” he said menacingly.

–I need to tell him the truth!” Seamus shouted. He stared at Romilda’s dad and all at once, he realised that this man, who he’d liked on the odd occasion that they’d met, was in on the scam, too. –You know all about this, don’t you?”

–Don’t know what you’re talking about,” Vane bluffed.

–The Cresson legacy and Romilda having to marry before she’s twenty-five. This isn’t news to you at all, is it?”

Vane slammed Seamus against the wall, his fist pressing into his chest. –Don’t you go spreading rumours, Thomas. It won’t work.”

–I’ll shout it to the rooftops!” Seamus yelled.

–Won’t do any good,” Vane said and grinned nastily. –Romilda’s a dab hand at potions, and that tea isn’t just camomile, if you catch my drift.”

–What?!” In panic, Seamus pushed Vane away. –DON’T DRINK THE TEA!” he yelled, praying that Dean hadn’t touched a drop.

–I think it’s too late for that,” Vane murmured. –Finnigan’s already thrown you out. He didn’t believe a word you said, did he?”

Hell, hell hell. But there was nothing he could do, short of blowing the charade. With loud protestations ringing from his lips and more warnings regarding the tea, Seamus allowed Vane to bundle him down the stairs and out of the front doors where he landed face down in the privet bush.

–Gods, Dean, one of us is going to be a mass of cuts and bruises tomorrow,” he murmured as he picked himself up from the floor.

Then he forgot the pain as an arm slid around his waist, and he felt soft breath on his neck causing shivers to run up and down his spine.

–Please, please tell me it worked, and I’m here propping up Seamus,” Parvati whispered.

The scent of her sent his senses reeling. He turned in her arms, and stared straight into her liquid eyes. Then he pulled away slightly and fished something out of his back pocket.

–You left this with me, my star,” he murmured and dropped the shamrock in her hand. –I thought you’d like it back.”

–Oh, thank Merlin,” she sobbed and pulled him close, hugging the life out of him. –Does this mean you’re coming home?”

–No,” he said gently. –It means I need to talk to you.”
End Notes:
The explanation for the over Irishisms at the beginning is finally here!
Chapter 7 - Wedding Crashers by Equinox Chick
Parvati drove through the streets of London not exactly sure where she was heading. Seamus had said he wasn’t coming home, but they needed somewhere to talk, and with Anusha at Padma’s, at least the house would be quiet. Alongside her, Seamus was mostly silent. He said the odd thing, answering one or two of her questions lightly, and assuring her that he was fine.

–Where are we going?” he asked when they stopped at some traffic lights.

–I ... don’t know,” she muttered. –Look, I know we need to talk, and it probably should be somewhere neutral, but we need somewhere private, too.”

–Take me back to the house, then,” he said, sounding weary.

Parvati nodded, and turned the car down a side street as she navigated her way to a familiar area. The roads were clearing now; the football matches in full swing, so she put her foot down, intent on getting as much distance between Seamus and Romilda as possible.

–It’s okay, you know,” he murmured, –I’m not going back to her. It was all a colossal mistake.”

–Because she lied to you?” Parvati asked, keeping her eyes on the road. She’d forgotten Seamus’ innate ability to keep track with her thoughts, and smiled ruefully.

–Partly,” he said shrugging. –But mainly because I don’t love her, at least not the way I loved you.”

Loved. Past tense. She gulped and then stopped the car, pulling up by a railing overlooking the Thames.

–You’ve moved here, have you?” he teased, but followed her out of the car.

–I shouldn’t have let you leave,” she said as she fished in her pocket for a handkerchief. –I didn’t realise you meant it, you know? I just thought you needed a week away, or you were giving me some space with the baby. If I’d known you weren’t coming back, Seamus, I’d have used the Imperius Curse to make you stay!”

–I don’t think you would have done,” he replied after a while. –You’re not manipulative like that.”

Blinking back tears, because she didn’t want them to be the reason he stayed, she turned to face him. Then she groaned. –It’s no good. I can’t have this conversation with you. Not when you look like Dean.”

–I’m not Dean, though,” he said, sounding sad. –That’s the problem, isn’t it?”

–Not for me, and it never used to be for you, unless you were lying for all those years.” She gripped the railing, feeling suddenly angry with this man next to her. –We were together for nearly nine years, Seamus. The three of us worked well together. We didn’t give a toss what people said because we were happy and it was right for us, but then you walked out.”

–You know why!” he protested. –Jaysus, Parvati. You have a baby now. You and Dean have a daughter, and she needs parents, and not a bloody lodger bringing her up!”

–Lodger? What the hell ...” She turned to him, shaking him by the arms, no longer seeing Dean’s face in front of her, spying Seamus at his most implacable but with all his insecurities brought to the surface. –How can you say that? How can you think that? Nine years!” she repeated, then held him close, defying him to pull away. –And the seven years at Hogwarts. Don’t you dare forget them.”

As Seamus shuddered, she cupped his face in her hands. –That last year, Seamus. You and me, on patrol, running from the Carrows. I’d have caved without you, broken into a hundred pieces. You understandme. And ...”

And if you leave now, it will break me.

He jerked away, turning his face towards the river, no longer looking into her eyes, so she released him and stepped back. –Sorry, you have your own life. I can’t ask you to be a part of something you no longer want.” She sighed and started to walk back to the car. –Do you want me to drop you off somewhere?”

–You could take me back to my flat. It’s been sold, but the buyer isn’t moving it till next week. And Ro will have left by now, but ...” He chewed the side of his mouth, clearly worried about something.

–What’s the matter?” Parvati asked.

–She drugged the camomile tea,” he admitted. –She must have known you’d found out, so when Dean changes back, she’s going to be looking for me.” Flushing, he started to laugh, the sound bitter. –I’m not a very brave Gryffindor, am I? Scared of a woman.”

–You’re not ‘scared’,” Parvati replied. –You’re being cautious. Has she really drugged the tea?”

–According to her dad, yeah. I shouted out a warning to Dean, so I doubt he’ll drink anything.”

With a wry smile, Parvati got into the car, opening Seamus’ door from the inside. –Dean’s not going to drink any of that ‘cat’s piss’. You should know that. But ... you could be right about Romilda tracking you down. Blaise said the inheritance was a lot of money.”

–Exactly. And she knows where you live.”

–But not Padma,” Parvati mused. –Come on, you can crash there for a while.”

***


–FINISH YOUR BREAKFAST. FINISH YOUR BREAKFAST. FINISH YOUR BREAKFAST!” screeched the organiser.

In despair, Dean hurled the book at the wall, hoping the shock would dull its screech. He’d never found out from Seamus how to shut it up, but slamming it into the brickwork did not have the desired effect. Instead, the organiser flopped open and increased its orders.

–SHOWER. SHOWER. SHOWER. SHOWER. SHOWER. FLOSS YOUR TEETH. FLOSS YOUR TEETH. FLOSS YOUR TEETH.”

–SHUT UP. SHUT UP. SHUT UP!” yelled Dean, but the book didn’t listen. Picking it up, trying to see if slamming it shut would deaden the sound, Dean, suddenly, had had enough. In exasperation, he threw the book out of the hotel window and watched it land in the road.

It was still shouting. Muggles walking past looked on in surprise, then in amusement as they checked the area for hidden cameras, obviously thinking this was a television show. He sighed in relief, the silence deafening him, and then lay back on the bed. There was nothing he could do now except wait for the Polyjuice potion to wear off.

–You getting ready, Seamus?” Fergal called, rapping on the door. –Only we thought we’d have a drink in the bar before we set off for your date with doom ... I mean destiny! Vane’s paying, just so’s you know.”

–So he can keep an eye on me,” Dean muttered. He narrowed his eyes, perusing the room as he remembered Seamus’ shouted warning. The tea was drugged; he’d have to act very loved up, or Vane would realise he hadn’t drunk any of it.

–I’ll be down in a bit,” he replied. –Just ... er ... flossing my teeth.”

–How’s your head?”

–Fine, fine,” Dean replied, then added a small groan remembering Seamus had only just woken up. –Not brilliant. Better make mine a pint of orange juice.”

–Sure, and I’ll add a tot of vodka. Nothing like the hair of the dog that bit yer, Seamus.”

Dean laughed, then breathed again when he heard Fergal’s footsteps padding down the stairs. There was half an hour before the potion wore off. He’d have to stay put, and just pray that Parvati was getting through to Seamus.

***


Padma’s flat near St Mungo’s was unrecognisable when Seamus walked in. The last time he’d been there, the place had been immaculate. Padma’s impeccable taste had led to her decorating her lounge with ivory silk wallpaper, a plush cream carpet, and cream leather sofas strewn with satin cushions in an array of colours. When he’d been before, Seamus had felt awkward and out of place, as if sitting on the carefully positioned sofa would somehow upset Padma’s equilibrium and cause her concern.

So he crossed the threshold in trepidation, making sure he wiped his feet thoroughly. Then he burst out laughing. Far from the elegant room he’d been expecting, Padma’s sofa had been denuded of all its cushions, and the patterned throw he’d last seen used as a wall hanging, was now serving as a roof for a den. A gurgle from inside the tent, followed by a deeper, throatier laugh, left Seamus in no doubt where Padma and Anusha were.

Beaming, Parvati ran forwards, crawled into the tent leaving Padma to emerge, her hair in disarray but a similar smile on her face. Then the smile left her face when she saw him.

–No luck with Seamus, then,” she said darkly, plucking at his sleeve. –Look, Dean, if he does marry that girl and leaves for France ...” Padma trailed off, glanced at Parvati, then pulled Seamus into the kitchen, saying loudly that she was making tea.

–What will happen if he marries Romilda?” Seamus asked, trying to sound casual.

–Come on. You know what she’s been like since Seamus left. It’s not just the stress of the baby. She’s lost something important - and so have you. But you’ll be fine, won’t you?” Padma scoffed. –Always the same. ‘Seamus is my mate. He’ll come around.’ Well, he hasn’t, clearly and you need to do something about it!”

–Here we go,” Parvati said, grinning as she cradled Anusha in her arms. –Anusha, my darling, this is going to be a little strange for you, but I want you to meet someone.”

–What the hell are you on about?” Padma asked, bemused when Parvati held Anusha out to Seamus. –She’s met her own dad before .... OH!”

She broke off when Anusha stared at Seamus, pulled an uncertain face and then stuck out her bottom lip.

–You’re not Dean. Merlin, thanks for the warning, sis!”

–It’s all above board,” Parvati protested. –We just needed a way of getting Seamus out of the hotel, and no Muggles witnessed anything.”

–I wasn’t about to report you!” Padma replied. –Just ... uh ...”

–Your sister thought I was Dean,” Seamus murmured. He stared down at Anusha, who after her initial wobble was now clutching her tiny hand around his nose, and giggling when he stuck out his tongue. –Amazing how this one spotted I’m not her daddy straight away. She’s beautiful, Parvati.”

–I know. Sometimes I can’t quite believe she’s mine.”

–She looks just like you,” Seamus replied, and smiled. –Good job, too. Dean’s ugly mug wouldn’t make a pretty girl at all.”

–As long as she gets her aunt’s brains,” Padma said lightly. –Then she’ll be all right. Go and sit down. I’ll make tea.”

–You should probably take her,” Seamus murmured. –It might freak her out when I change back.” He glanced at the clock, frowning. –Uh ... I hate to say this, but I took that potion over an hour ago-”

–You haven’t changed back-” Parvati clasped her hand to her mouth. –Merlin, so if you haven’t changed, then what’s the betting Dean is still Seamus?” She jerked her head away from him, calling out to Padma, –Why would Polyjuice Potion last longer than an hour? Seamus should have changed by now.”

Bearing a tray of tea, and a plate of biscuits, Padma set both down on the coffee table before replying. –Depends on the brewer. Some make a stronger version.”

–No, this only worked for an hour the last time it was used,” Seamus interjected, now getting worried for the fate of his friend.

–Was it old?” Padma asked.

–Mmm, will that have made a difference?” Parvati replied

–Does any of this matter?” Seamus yelled. –Dean’s still there, as me, and the wedding kicks off in less than half an hour. Unless you can assure me that he’s going to change back immediately, we need to get there and rescue him before it’s too late.”

–He won’t marry her!” Padma said, sounding infuriatingly casual. –Besides, even if he does, it will be illegal.”

–But Ro will have married someone and that might be enough for the French authorities.” Seamus handed Anusha back to Padma and stood up. –I’m going to the wedding. Are you coming, Parvati?”

–Try keeping me away,” she said, determination rife in her tone.

–You’re a star,” Seamus replied, and as she smiled at him, he felt something inside slip back into place. He still loved her - that was what mattered - and if they wanted to make this work, then why was he running away?

***


Romilda set the tiara on her hair, fixing it into place with the aid of hairpins gripping into her hair. Behind her, Aunt Jemima fussed with her veil, getting ready to drape it in place. They’d commandeered a side room next to the Ministry function room, where the ceremony would take place, and her aunt had made sure there was a full length mirror and a dressing table, so Romilda could touch up her make-up if required. She examined herself from every angle, admiring her cheekbones, and the arch of her newly waxed eyebrows that made her dark eyes seem even bigger than usual.

–You look beautiful,” her aunt whispered reverentially.

Yes, not bad Romilda thought with a smile, and smiled coyly. –I hope Seamus thinks so,” she replied.

–Of course he will,” Aunt Jemima insisted. She crept to the door, opening it a crack and studying the function room. –It’s filling up, and Seamus is standing there with ... Oh, it looks like his cousin. I thought you said that friend of his was best man.”

Romilda smirked at her reflection. Obviously, her dad’s strong arm tactics had been enough to put Dean and Parvati off. With Lavender and Blaise locked away, she was home and dry. –Dean is unreliable,” she said succinctly. –Thank goodness Seamus has seen sense.”

Twisting around, she peered out at her guests, noting with satisfaction that all the important people from The Prophet and the Ministry were already in place. Then she shifted her gaze to Seamus, and something made her pulse thump.

He was looking nervous ... no, not nervous exactly, more shifty and uncomfortable. If he’d drunk the tea she’d had sent to his room, then he should have been looking more relaxed, but Seamus was definitely twitchy, shuffling his feet and glancing nervously around at the room.

Romilda had never been a girl to leave things to fate. She believed a person made their own luck, and thus she never left anything to chance. Reaching for her pale silk clutch purse, she opened the clasp and pulled out a lipstick. It wasn’t a shade she particularly liked, but it would do the job at least for a while.

–It’s time to go,” he aunt whispered, and started to lower the veil over Romilda’s face.


Watching her glide down the aisle on her father’s arm, Dean had to admit that Romilda looked beautiful. He could see what the initial attraction for Seamus had been, because this woman, stepping steadily towards him, exuded glamour and promise. But it was a promise made from tissue paper, and the glamour was artificial. For what seemed the hundredth time, he checked his hand, wondering when his skin would darken and he’d return to his normal appearance. Philosophical that the change hadn’t already taken place, he knew it was now just a matter of him saying ‘I don’t’ instead of ‘I do’ at the right moment. Yes, there’d be a kerfuffle and it would be hugely embarrassing for Romilda, but her mortification meant nothing to him.

As she sauntered alongside him, he stared ahead, and waited for the Celebrant to begin.

–Before we start,” Romilda announced as she lifted her veil from her face. –I wanted to say ‘tradition be damned’. I haven’t seen my darling Seamus for a whole day and I’d like a kiss.”

And before he could stop her, Romilda had wound her arms about Dean, pulling his face down to hers, and kissed him thoroughly. He drew back, staggering slightly , and then he smiled at her.

What was the plan? he thought woozily.

–You may begin,” Romilda told the Celebrant.

***


–Why the bloody hell do these lifts never bloody work?” Seamus roared, as he pressed all the buttons. –Come on, you bugger, we need to get to the fourth floor.”

–Stairs!” Parvati exclaimed. –Come on, this could take all day, and you heard that receptionist, the bride and groom are already here. Dean must be playing along with this.”

–Why didn’t he give her the slip?” Seamus asked. –He could have Apparated on his way here.”

–No idea,” Parvati puffed as they raced up the back stairs. –But I wonder if he wants to teach her a lesson.”

–Eejit! Ro won’t like that, at all!”

Sprinting now along the labyrinth of corridors, Seamus reached for Parvati’s hand, pulling her along in his wake. Padma had thought it likely that the potion would wear off soon, but the age of it had undoubtedly increased its potency. Maybe Dean was playing on the fact that the wedding would be invalid, because it wasn’t really Seamus at the altar. But ... what if they never switched back? What if Dean remained in Seamus’ body and Romilda refused to accept there’d been a substitution? Would Dean have to stay married to her? Seamus knew enough about Romilda to realise she wouldn’t leave anything to chance ... like the chance he wouldn’t have drunk that tea.

–Which room?” Parvati gasped. –Are we getting close?”

–That one,” Seamus wheezed. –Come on, my star, let’s go rescue Anusha’s daddy.”

But as they careened off the walls, a whoosh from a Floo connection caused them to stagger backwards, falling onto the floor. A second flare and another whoosh accompanied another figure, dusty from the fire, and grumpy from being trapped for far too long.

–Where the hell have you two been?” Parvati shouted.

–Trapped in Mildew’s wardrobe,” Lavender retorted. –The spell’s only just worn off, and then we had to find a Floo connection. Fortunately, Blaise’s mother lives nearby so we went there.” She glanced at Seamus. –You didn’t find him, then. Hell, they could be married by now.”

–No, no, it’s cool,” Seamus replied. –We took Polyjuice Potion, but it’s lasted a bit longer than we thought, so Dean’s stuck in there-”

–With Mildew. I can’t see a little thing like the wrong groom thwarting her,” interrupted Lavender. And with a look of grim determination, she blasted open the door. –STOP THIS WEDDING!”

–My girlfriend,” muttered Blaise, –loves to make an entrance.”

The celebrant looked askance when the four of them fell into the hall. He’d had unusual things happen before in the middle of a ceremony. Only two years previously, he’d officiated at the Malfoy wedding where the groom had eloped with the bride’s sister, but he didn’t recall four people charging in with wands raised, and all looking so very scruffy before – certainly not at a wedding attended by so many high-ups from the magical world.

–Lavender, will you hush your mouth? My darling boy’s getting married and you long missed your chance,” hollered Mrs Finnigan. She glared at Parvati. –And he doesn’t need the likes of you messing up his life again.”

–That’s not your ‘darling boy’!” Parvati shrieked.

Sorcha Finnigan stood up, hands on hips and faced Parvati. –Are you telling me I don’t know my own son?”

–Mam,” Seamus cried as he pushed past Lavender. –That’s not me. That’s Dean.” Facing Romilda, he stepped towards her, his hands held up in supplication. –I’m sorry, Ro, but I can’t marry you.”

–This is nonsense!” Romilda spat and snuggled up to Dean. –I know my own fiancé, and he knows me, don’t you, darling?”

Dean nodded dumbly, his eyes peculiarly unfocused, then he seemed to snap out of his haze as he stared at the guests around him. –What’s going on?”

Grabbing him by the waist, Romilda stood on tip-toe to kiss him again, but just as she did so, Dean caught sight of Seamus standing with Sorcha.

And it was Seamus. The potion was wearing off and all traces of him were fading rapidly, just as all traces of Seamus were disappearing as Dean’s skin darkened and his hair curled tight to his skull. Wriggling away from Romilda, he took a step back up the aisle.

–Seamus, are you going to tell your mother what the heck is going on?” Sorcha demanded. –Isn’t it shaming enough that you spring this wedding on me with only a month to go, but now you’re doing a runner!”

Trying not to laugh, Seamus kissed his mum on the cheek. –Sorry, Mam, there isn’t going to be a wedding, but there’s still a reception. And I think there’s still trifle on the menu, which I know is your favourite.” Then, after squeezing Parvati reassuringly on the arm, he walked towards Romilda.

–You shouldn’t have lied to me, Ro,” he said gently.

–Are you saying you’d have married me if you’d known the truth,” she replied. –I never took you for a mercenary, Seamus.”

–I meant telling me you loved me.”

Her eyes filled with tears, but Seamus was unmoved. Was it cynical of him to think that this, too, was an act? Or maybe it was the thought of her inheritance vanishing in front of her eyes that was making her weep.

–You’ve got a month, Ro,” he said and shrugged. –Get yourself down to the Hog’s Head, and I’m sure you’ll pick up a ready-made groom, especially if you mention there’s money involved.”

–I wanted you,” she muttered. –And we would have been happy together.”

–Maybe,” he replied, a touch sadly because Romilda had made him laugh at times. But as he bent forwards to peck her on the cheek, he noticed the predatory glint in her eyes as she tried to fix her lips on his. He jerked away. –Trouble is, my darlin’, I’m never going to know if any of it was true, am I?”

***


It was later, much later, that Seamus Apparated to his flat. Having found his trunk, pulled out all the poncey clothes Romilda had insisted he buy for Paris, and repacked with his old ones, he wondered briefly where to go. But in truth it was an easy decision. He needed time to recover, a place to lick his wounds, and knew the best place for that was in the company of the two people he loved the most.

–Thank you,” Parvati whispered. She embraced him as Dean heaved the trunk to the corner of the room.

–Still not sure this is the best solution,” he murmured.

From the back pocket of her jeans, Parvati pulled out the small green, glistening shamrock. –Look at this. It’s a trefoil, isn’t it?”

–Three leaves,” Dean said as he approached them both. He touched Seamus on the arm. –You remove one and it’s beyond repair.”

Seamus laughed ruefully. –You have Anusha. She’s your third leaf.”

–No, she’s an extra. A very important extra, but she’s like the fourth leaf on a clover. She’ll brings us luck,” Dean replied. –Face it, mate. Without us, you get into trouble with women like Mildew, and without you, we fall apart.” As Seamus still looked doubtful, he turned to Parvati. –Does he know about her name yet?”

–Know what?”Seamus asked, wondering why both Dean and Parvati were smiling.

–Anusha means ‘star’, Seamus. She’s a beautiful morning star. We named her for you.”

He looked at them both. At the hope in Parvati’s eyes that seemed to be diminishing as he hesitated and the frank friendship set in Dean’s unwavering expression. And then he wondered what he would have done if Anusha had been his, and it hit him, with utmost clarity, that if Dean had left, he would have been bereft.

–I’d like to stay,” he muttered.

He could hear their exhalations of relief, and swallowed down the scratchy sob in his throat.

They were three - a shamrock. And removing one leaf meant they were nothing.
End Notes:
This is the end, my friend.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=91471