The Prefects' Bathroom by The owl
Summary: The Prefects' bathroom is one of the many privileges available to Lily Evans and James Potter in their final year at Hogwarts. They certainly take full advantage of it in good times and bad. However, in the bad times, they find themselves needing the retreat it provides more than ever.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1106 Read: 5663 Published: 05/29/12 Updated: 06/04/12
Story Notes:
This is dialogue only, so if you don't like that style, consider yourself warned. Huge thanks to my beta, Royari. I doubt this would have worked without her help. She is the best! Also, I am definitely not JKR, but I am insanely grateful for all the fun I have had playing in her dollhouse.

1. The Prefects' Bathroom by The owl

The Prefects' Bathroom by The owl
–Well, well, well, Evans. I would never have expected to see you here.”

–I see you got here before me, Potter. I suppose it is rather strange to think that the Head Girl might actually make use of the Prefects’ bathroom. And just happen to arrive at the same time as the Head Boy.”

–You’d think the founders would have thought to built separate girls’ and boys’ bathrooms, at the very least to prevent situations like this. I mean, they can’t have been short on funds; the diving board certainly suggests otherwise.”

–It does seem strange, doesn’t it, especially given the enchantments on the girls’ dorms. I guess the founders decided to trust the Prefects to be more responsible than the other students. I don’t see why you’re complaining, Potter.”

–This place certainly does have its uses.”

–It’s the reason none of the prefects ever get caught making out in the corridors. We all come here instead.”

–I bet not everyone bothers bringing their swimming things, though. Hang on - ‘We all come here’? Do you mean to say that you have prior experience in here?”

–Well, I’ve certainly been asked…”

–Robards. I knew it.”

–Yes, actually, Adam did ask to meet me here once. I’m not making you jealous am I, Potter?”

–I assumed that was your intention. Anyway, it rather depends on what answer you gave him, Evans. I presume you turned him down?”

–Ah, but that would be telling.”

–Am I really going to have to get out and ask the mermaid?”

–I’ve been told that she tends to avert her eyes when couples are, uh, ‘busy’ in here.”

–You’ve been told? Does that mean you turned him down, or just that you didn’t go all the way with him?”

–Godric, James! Do you really think so little of me? This is Adam Robards we’re talking about.”

–So? Do I have to hex him or not?”

–I said no, you fool, and don’t you dare hex him. Anyway, assignations in the Prefects’ bathroom with stuck-up Ravenclaws are hardly my style. I can’t belie-”


(A short while later)



–We can find better things to do with our time in here than bicker about all the other guys who’ve fancied you over the years, can’t we?”

–I think you just proved that. We are rather good at the bickering, though.”

–Always have been, always will be. However, it will be someone else’s turn in here before too long, and I don’t particularly want to be interrupted by a 5th year Hufflepuff.”

–Interrupted, James? What on earth were you planning on doing in here? I happen to want to wash my hair.”

–You know full well what I have planned; you agreed to it not two hours ago, you tease.”

–I know, but you can’t deny that teasing is fun. However, I wouldn’t want to corrupt an innocent young Hufflepuff, so maybe…”


(Later again)



–Mmmph… Uh, James, that sounds to me like the knock of a corruptible little Hufflepuff.”

–Dammit. They have the worst timing. At least whoever it is had the decency to knock.”

–Well he or she probably knows that it’s our scheduled slot now.”

–And I suppose everyone has figured out what that entails. Come in!”


(The door opens)


–Remus!”

–Ah. Hi there, Lily, James. I was afraid of this.”

–Excuse me?”

–I mean I was afraid of finding both of you here. I was only looking for James.”

–Everything all right, Moony? It’s not like you to interrupt us. Sirius, maybe, but…Well, I know you wouldn’t do it without good reason.”

–There was a reason, actually. There’s a strange owl waiting for you up in the dorm, and it wouldn’t relinquish its letter to any of us. We figured it must be something important, so we all split up to look for you. Would have been much easier if you didn’t have the map, mind you. I always thought we should have duplicated it.”

–Never mind that now. You definitely didn’t recognise the owl? Sounds ominous. I really should go see what this is about, Lily. You coming?”

–Of course. I would prefer to get out of here before our Hufflepuff friends arrive.”


~*~



–Shit, James, I’m so sorry.”

–Huh. You know it’s bad when Lily Evans starts swearing.”

–You think this really is bad, then?”

–It must be. She’s in St Mungo’s. I just… I feel like I should have seen it coming. She was ill over the summer too, but I stupidly assumed she’d be fine again after that. I mean, she’s not young anymore - hasn’t been young in my lifetime - and the war has taken its toll and I-”

–Hush James. It’s okay. She’ll be all right, just like she was last time. You’ll be with her soon, you’ll see.”

–Will you come with me, Lily?”

–Of course I will, if Dumbledore lets me. I just wish that my first time meeting your parents didn’t have to be in St Mungo’s.”

–Me too, Lily, me too.”


~*~



–For someone who claims not to do ‘assignations’ in the Prefects’ bathroom, you certainly seem to have spent enough time here with me recently.”

–Yeah, I guess so. But then you always have been the exception to the rule. Any and every rule, actually.”

–My speciality, breaking rules…”


~*~



–Oh, James, I’m sure she’s going to be all right.”

–I hope so. At least she’s back home again.”

–And they did say that she shouldn’t need to go back in this time.”

–They said that last time too.”

–But she looked so much better at the end of our last visit.”


(After a moment)



–I hate being so useless, you know? She’s my mum. I can’t just sit by and leave it all up to fate.”

–Short of training as a healer, what else can you do?”

–I know.”


~*~



–I cannot believe she ended up in hospital again.”

–I know, James.”

–Maybe I will become a healer, save us all a whole lot of hanging around in hospital waiting rooms.”


~*~



–You know, we seem to be wasting our allocated time in here again, James.”

–True, and I think I know exactly what that raised eyebrow signifies. You always manage to find the best way to cheer me up.”

–Well, there aren’t any Hufflepuffs due to arrive for a while…”

–Thank goodness for small mercies.”
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! I would, however, like to direct your eyes to an empty box just below here. It is very, very hungry, and the only thing that will satisfy it is a review from you. Please?
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=91544