Scorpius Malfoy and the Disappearing Girl by Hotrav
Summary:

Scorpius Malfoy, Jimber Dokes, Albus Potter and Rose Weasley are looking for a non-eventful second year at Hogwarts. However, even before the opening feast of the school year is over the entire second year Gryffindor class are called into a special meeting that will launch themselves and the entire school into a mystery.

As the Auror office, led by concerned parents Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, search for clues. Draco Malfoy will be tested when a former school mate drops back into his life forcing Draco to choose between his new life as an honest business man and a Slytherin Prefect sworn to secrecy for members of his house.

Beta Reader - The owl(Sophie)


Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 37991 Read: 37626 Published: 06/11/12 Updated: 11/17/12
Story Notes:

The story is the sequel to 'Draco Malfoy and the Sins of the Fathers' and to a lesser extent 'The Fish and the Pelican'. The two stories are not necessary for understanding the story, the first chapter opens with a resetting of the story and the setting up of this story.

In Memory of my mother Donna E. McConnell 1937-2012.

1. Chapter 1 - Friendly Meetings? by Hotrav

2. Chapter 2 - Inside Room Number Twenty by Hotrav

3. Chapter 3 - Places of Interest by Hotrav

4. Chapter 4 - Friendly Returns by Hotrav

5. Chapter 5 - Atop the Tor by Hotrav

6. Chapter 6 - Illusions by Hotrav

7. Chapter 7 - Layers of Intrigue by Hotrav

8. Chapter 8 - Drawing Lines by Hotrav

9. Chapter 9 - Strangers at the Door by Hotrav

10. Chapter 10 - The Disappearing Girl by Hotrav

11. Chapter 11 - One Last Betrayal by Hotrav

12. Chapter 12 - Epilogue: Unhappy Reunions? by Hotrav

Chapter 1 - Friendly Meetings? by Hotrav

Draco Malfoy placed a Galleon into the right hand of the Ministry driver who had driven his family of four through the mid-morning London traffic to ‘King’s Cross railway station’. As Draco turned from the driver, he reached to his right to take his wife, Astoria, by the arm so he could properly escort his lady into the station. As they walked through the station doorway, he smiled at the fact that Harry Potter had arranged the transportation for his family. The thought reminded him of the days of his youth when Ministry officials jumped to please members of the Malfoy family.

As they strolled toward their destination, he reflected on the difference in his status compared to a year ago. While the changes had all been small incremental ones, the totality of the changes had created a whole new world full of possibilities for both himself and also for his precious son, Scorpius.

A year ago, he, Astoria, and Scorpius lived in two small rooms in his parents’ manor house. And from the manor’s greenhouses, he and his wife had run a struggling owl-order potions business. While seeing his son off on Platform Nine and Three Quarters, Draco had, against his normal instincts, showed kindness to a family called the Dokes. The Dokes had become friends with his family, and the Dokes’ boy Jimber and Scorpius were closer than many brothers.

At school, Scorpius had been inexplicably sorted into Gryffindor. Draco suspected the sorting had something to do with the Jimber being previously sorted into that house. A Gryffindor son had been hard for Draco to accept. However, Draco’s father had never accepted the sorting, and blamed it on Draco and his unworthy daughter-in-law’s lenient parenting of the boy.

Along the way, the two boys befriended Albus Potter and Rose Weasley, who were the children of Draco’s childhood enemies. So to be polite, he and Astoria had associated with the Weasleys and Potters. Draco had to admit that the Potters were acceptable, if somewhat banal, company and the two Weasley females, Hermione and Rose, almost made up for the family dolt: Ronald. Unfortunately, the Weasley girl had become infatuated with Scorpius and he with her. The pair’s state of on-again off-again puppy love was something Draco hoped they would both eventually outgrow. The idea of him and Weasley being close family was enough to keep him up at night.

Now, thanks again to Harry Potter, Draco and his family had bought the old Black family residence on Grimmauld Place in London. Astoria was blossoming in her new home, not having to be a servant of her in-laws, and Draco was quite happy to be out from under his father’s always condescending eye.

The family potion business, which was now located in Diagon Alley, was now almost too successful. The workload at the store had greatly increased, because they had just lost Rebekka Dokes as their only employee. She had returned from exile with her husband and their ten-year-old daughter, Bethany, to their Caribbean homeland, The Island.

The slightly profitable shop had raised him and Astoria from the edge of abject poverty to a just getting by financial status. Of course, no-one, especially the Weasleys, or Potters, would be allowed to know how little the family was really worth. Draco was still his parent’s son in that manner. He had to keep up pretences of wealth, because not being rich would be a sign of weakness. And Malfoys are never weak.

As Draco and his wife walked arm-in-arm toward the entrance to the platform, the two boys kept trying to get the adults to hurry their pace through the unwashed throng. Draco and Astoria would never do such an undignified thing and they walked through the crowd like the high-born, pure-blood Lady and Gentleman they were.


Scorpius and Jimber laughed as they raced their trolleys through the late morning Kings Cross station commuters. As they approached the entry pillar, Scorpius turned to find his parents were at least ten metres behind him. The looks on his parents’ faces were not very happy ones. How could they not understand that they had to be on the platform early? He and Jimber had to see what happened when James Potter and Kaitlin Jones met on the platform for the first time.

The two boys took the pillar at a run almost bowling over an auburn haired Muggle woman wearing a rucksack and pushing a pram from a train on platform number nine. Upon crossing over, they spun their full luggage carts around, almost ejecting Scorpius’ owl’s cage from the trolley. As the bird screeched its displeasure at this treatment, the two boys began to search for familiar faces on the crowded platform.

Jimber yelled and pointed ahead to where he saw Albus, James, and Rose watching as their luggage was stowed onto the train. Kaitlin Jones was nowhere in sight. The two boys eagerly joined the friends that they had not seen for a fortnight.

–Rose, did we get here before Kaitlin?” Jimber eagerly asked.

–I don’t see them here, do you?” Rose answered. Scorpius noticed that Rose did not look happy at either Jimber’s question or the eager tone of voice in which he asked it.

Scorpius gave her a little smile, which Rose shyly returned.

Leaning his head forward toward Rose, he pointed down and asked in a soft voice, –How’s your hand?” He and Rose both looked down at her left hand. As soon as he asked, Scorpius felt the blood rush to his face. He also saw that Rose was reliving the memory of him being the first one to her after she had fallen the twenty-five metres off her broom and into the sandy pit at the bottom of hoops. Scorpius could still feel the anguish from the sight of her rolling in pain in the sand. The only thing he could think to do was to take her by the right hand and repeatedly assure both her and him that she would be all right, while the Harpie’s Captain Gillette Pierce provided first aid to her broken hand.

Rose heard a half-suppressed chortle and saw James smirk over at them as Scorpius’ right hand lightly touched Rose’s left hand. Her cousin’s reaction brought her back to the present.

"My hand and fingers are fine, thanks. My mother took me to St. Mungo’s to make sure,” Rose said looking at where the bones had been broken when she collided with the centre hoop in a vain attempt to deflect a shot during their scrimmage against the three Harpies’ Developmental players, her Aunt Ginny, and Kaitlin’s Aunt Gwenog.

–Hello, Mister and Mrs. Malfoy,” Rose said looking over Scorpius’ shoulder. Scorpius quickly moved his hand from Rose’s hand as she added, –I don’t see Bethany. Did her parents take her back to the Island?” asked Rose.

–Yes, the three of them left last Monday afternoon,” answered Astoria Malfoy in a soft voice looking at Jimber. –I wouldn’t talk about it; Jimber is still a bit touchy about the subject right now. Oh, Rose, I do like what you’ve done with your hair. The cut is quite flattering. It opens up your face so much more,” Astoria added with a smile.

–Thanks,” said Rose as she automatically touched her hair above her right ear. –I let my Aunt Fleur style it,” Rose answered, as she turned her head and the hair danced around her face. Rose turned toward Scorpius to find that he had not noticed and was talking to Jimber and Albus.

Rose sighed in obvious disappointment.

–Give him a few years, Rose. Soon they will all notice,” assured Astoria Malfoy.

Rose smiled a grateful smile in response.

As Scorpius and Jimber helped the Porter stow their luggage, James Potter bellowed, so loudly that the Muggles on Platforms Nine and Ten might have overheard him, –Kitty-Kat, how’s Gryffindor’s favourite Chaser? And where’s your Quidditch Captain’s badge? Did you forget to put it on your robes?” As Kaitlin Jones bristled at his taunts, James laughed loudly, turning to the other boys to share his glee.

–James Sirius Potter, come here. Now!” Harry Potter spoke in a measured, but heavily edged voice. James visibly gulped and walked the six steps over to face his father. The longer his father spoke to him the lower James’ head dropped.

Kaitlin smiled and waved for Rose to come over to her trolley. The two girls whispered to each other just out of Scorpius’ earshot. As Kaitlin finished her whisper, Rose said, –Boys; they are so alike.” The two girls laughed. Whatever they had whispered to each other, it irritated Scorpius.

–Father, this is my friend Rose Weasley,” said Kaitlin Jones to the man who was just finished supervising the loading of Kaitlin’s trunk.

Owain Jones stood up; the broad shouldered man towered over the twelve year olds. –Hello Rose. I heard that you’ve really helped our Katie keep up with her studies. Thank you. I also heard that Gillette Pierce was so impressed by your Keeping skills and how well you took to her coaching this summer that she wants to pre-sign you to a Harpies’ contract out of Hogwarts.”

Rose blushed and answered, –Thank you, Mister Jones.”

Mr. Jones turned to face Scorpius and Jimber. –And you must be Jimber Dokes. I played against your Uncle in a friendly between Wales and The Island.” Jimber stood up straight as his natural slouch disappeared.

Jones next focused on the blonde boy next to Jimber, he extended a hand and asked, –And you are Scorpius Malfoy?” Scorpius nodded. –My sister said that you have a lot of raw ability, but more importantly the brains to match. For Gwenog Jones to give a compliment to any male player not named Jones is indeed high praise,” said Owain Jones.

–Thank you, sir,” said Scorpius, as he extended his hand to shake the one offered by the Captain of the Tutshill Tornados and five time Quidditch Champion. As they shook, Scorpius peeked over to see if his parents had heard the compliment. The pride on his father’s face showed him that they had.

James scuffed his feet on the platform’s surface as he returned to Kaitlin’s luggage trolley –Kaitlin, I’m really sorry about my shouting at you earlier.”

Kaitlin half-smiled, but she also seemed very wary of a trick. She was right to be wary, because in his next breath James added, –I’m sorry that I’m a much better Seeker than you are, Kitty-Kat. I’m also really sorry that Freddy is the Captain and you are just another player.”

Suddenly, James began to gag and took two quick steps to reach the nearby dustbin so he could start to wretch. The people standing around Kaitlin’s trolley heard laughter coming from the train’s window. And on mass, they turned toward the train to find Albus standing within the car holding his wand with his right hand and a pair of dried gum pellets on his other palm. –That’ll shut him up for awhile,” Albus said, checking to see if either of his parents had noticed. –Man, I love Waddiwasi.

Kaitlin smiled up at Albus. –I guess I can’t judge all Potters by one bad egg.”

As the crowd watched James, Margaret Quince showed up pushing her trolley stacked with her trunk, a barn owl in a cage and a meter high box containing multiple drawers. –Rose, Kaitlin, Potter, Malfoy. Are we all ready for a new year back at Hogwarts?”

Scorpius looked over at Rose and Kaitlin. Kaitlin looked more than a little embarrassed by this meeting; she had invited all of the first year tryout players except Margaret to Holyhead for their summer practice. Rose, who was on more friendly terms with Margaret than Kaitlin was just, smiled at the brunette girl.

Jimber must have felt the strain, as he asked, –Margaret, mind if Scorp and I load your gear?” Margaret nodded her head and moved the small box off of the top of the trolley.

While they were loading Margaret’s gear, Jenelle Gliech and Harry Baird showed up, and they all began to exchange stories about their summer. Harry Baird introduced everyone to his little sister, who had just turned eleven, –Cristabel Abigail Baird.”

–My name is Abby. Please, never that other name. I’m Abby,” the thin pony-tailed, dishwater blonde said in a pleading tone to the group at large. She next turned toward her brother and more forcibly added, –It’s Abby understand!”

Harry just nodded, and when she turned to introduce herself to the other females he smiled at her.

Just a few minutes after Abby had been introduced to all of them, Rose began to take Abby under her wing explaining everything about the train, sorting and school houses. Scorpius noticed that Kaitlin was looking through the crowded platform as if searching for someone else.

Suddenly, Kaitlin whistled an ear piercing blast from between her teeth. –Rhys,” shouted Kaitlin. –I was afraid you might miss the train! Everybody this is my cousin Rhys Jones. He’s my Uncle Ioan’s youngest child. Uncle Ioan played for the Caerphilly for a couple of years. Rhys here is going to be a first year, and will most probably end up beating James out of the Gryffindor Seeker position.” Kaitlin said the last words loud enough to get James to raise his head out of the dustbin to face her.

–All aboard. Ten Minutes ‘till all aboard,” shouted the conductor.


Jimber and Scorpius walked over to Draco and Astoria. Last year, Scorpius’s farewell from his parents had been very stiff and formal. The second year’s trip began with a hug from his mother, a wink and a pat on the cheek from his father, and the handing over of an envelope filled with five gold coins - enough to buy at least one treat for each member of the team from the food trolley. Jimber got the same treatment from Astoria as Scorpius did.

However, when it came to the time for Jimber and Draco to say goodbye something bizarre happened. Mr. Malfoy hesitated, as if fighting some internal battle, until he gave Jimber a big bear hug and said, –Isaac told me to do that and to tell you he is proud of you and expects good reports from Headmaster Flitwick.”

As Jimber pulled away from Mr. Malfoy, he gave Scorpius a wide-eyed stare of disbelief.

Draco continued, –Isaac, also he wanted me to tell you that Hogwarts now has a Tern Post delivery system set up with his office on The Island. So, any problems will be reported to your parents within two days.”

Jimber’s wide-eyed expression grew somehow wider. –You’re joking, right?” he asked, hoping against hope that Mr. Malfoy was.

Draco just shook his head and added, –And if Isaac hears something about Scorpius from Headmaster Flitwick, he will pass it on via Tern to us. So be warned Scorpius. Don’t let your little Gryffindor gang lead you too far astray this year.”

–I don’t know what you mean, Father,” answered Scorpius. Draco smiled at his son’s answer which showed pride in his friends without showing disrespect to his parents.

Jimber and Scorpius, following Astoria’s instructions, said their goodbyes to the parents of their friends. For some reason, Ronald Weasley took it on to himself to muss with Scorpius’ perfect hair. The inexplicable action caused Draco to take a step toward Weasley, but Astoria gently reached out her gloved hand to block his path to the dolt.

As the children all stepped into the train cars, the adults formed an arc by the windows. When the train began to pull away from the platform, the parents began to wave their hands as they watched until the car carrying their children disappeared into the haze of an overcast mid-day.

As the adults turned from the train, Ginny Potter stepped toward Owain Jones and his wife Glendra. She seemed to be interested in setting up a time so she could interview him for her column in the ‘Daily Prophet’.

The Potters movement opened a path for Draco to get to the Weasleys. Draco was just about to register his displeasure with Ronald Weasley when Hermione turned toward them and said, –You’ll have to forgive my husband, Astoria. He was attempting to make a joke with your son.” As Hermione finished her eyes rolled to the top of her head signalling displeasure with her husband’s action.

–What?” asked Ron, who seemed to have no idea why anyone would question him. –I just told you son to be careful. Last year’s adventure was enough for their seven years at Hogwarts. He said they didn’t look for an adventure it just found them. I told him, ‘yeah but let’s not make it a habit’ and I mussed his hair.”

–I noticed. The question is why?” Draco said, sounding more polite than he felt.

–Rose. I wanted her to see your boy is not perfect. I think it will keep them more friendly than romantic,” answered Ron.

–Ron, girls like to fix their boys. Rose will notice his hair and feel compelled to set him right. It will only reinforce whatever feelings she already has and create confusion for the both of them,” Hermione explained to a husband who was not getting her main point.

Draco noticed that Ginny Potter was nodding in agreement to her sister-in-laws analysis of what her brother had done.

–I know what you mean, Hermione. You can fix men for a while, but they don’t stay that way do they?” Astoria said as she, Hermione and Hugo Weasley, and the Potters moved toward the pillar that exited the platform. The little group was followed by the two men, who were wearing very put upon faces.

Chapter 2 - Inside Room Number Twenty by Hotrav

Headmaster Flitwick stood on a floating platform behind the lectern while he was giving his welcoming speech to the students of Hogwarts. A gaggle of eleven- year-olds nervously stood in a group between the table of teachers and four rows of long tables where the older students sat. While the older students listened respectfully to the leader of the school, the real attention was focused on the new comers.

Patiently waiting for his cue, Professor Neville Longbottom stood by a stool with an old fashioned pointy Wizard’s hat on it. As the headmaster was finishing his opening remarks, Longbottom looked over at the nervous little faces standing in front of him. Whenever, he noticed a particularly scared face he would catch the boy or girl’s eye. Once he had the child’s attention, he would give him or her a smile and a reassuring nod. That was usually enough to settle the young person’s nerves.

As the Headmaster finished his speech, he nodded over to Professor Longbottom to begin the next step of ceremony. As Neville unrolled the almost metre long scroll which contained the list names of the new students, Flitwick rode his platform back to the Staff Table to take his seat in the middle.

When he saw that the Headmaster was in his proper place, Longbottom cleared his throat and began the centuries’ old rite of the Sorting of the new Hogwarts students. The third name Longbottom announced was to the Hall was Cristabel Abigail Baird.

The small girl turned toward him and, with hands on her hips, whispered up to the robed adult, –My name is Abby, not that other one.”

Longbottom nodded, conjured an ink bottle with a quill and corrected the roster. He re-introduced the girl to her classmates, –Abby Baird.”

Abby sat on the chair and the hat was barely on her head when it shouted to the world that she had been sorted into Gryffindor. The whole table cheered around Harry Baird as Albus slapped his classmate on the back. Abby jumped off of the stool and sat next to Rose and Kaitlin not her older brother.

A little while later, Kaitlin Jones was shocked when her cousin, Rhys, was sorted into Hufflepuff. As Kaitlin watched her cousin being congratulated by his new housemates at their table, she turned to fix James Potter with an icy stare.

James returned her challenging look with one of his own.

–What?” he silently mouthed at her.

–Potter, you better be as good as you think you are. Rhys is a much better Seeker than I am. That’s why I let you win at Holyhead, so Rhys could take your place,” Kaitlin said with a face full of anguish.

–You’re lying! I won the position because I’m much better than you,” James responded.

–Maybe you are, but he’s way better than you. I’ve seen both of you play,” Kaitlin said.

As James turned his head away from Kaitlin in disgust to talk to his cousin Freddy, Scorpius looked at Kaitlin to see if she was smirking at James like she had gotten one over on him. However, Kaitlin just sat there biting her lower lip looking concerned about the hitch in her plans for Quidditch dominance.

Scorpius’ eyes moved from Kaitlin to Rose. She was oblivious to the Quidditch implications of the Sorting. She was sitting on her feet, elbows resting on the table to provide her with elevation. Rose leaned over the edge of the table and looked up and down the long row of her housemates. As she finished her sweep, Rose turned across the table to face Scorpius. –I don’t see Margaret Quince anywhere and I don’t recall seeing her on the Hogsmeade Platform either.”

Scorpius thought about it and realized he had no memory of Margaret since loading her trunk and boarding the train. He paused to think and finally answered Rose, –Maybe she got sick on the train and she’s resting up in the tower or in the Hospital Wing?”

Rose shrugged. She hoped he was correct. Scorpius’s comment did offer a logical explanation to her absence from the feast. After all, Margaret was on the train. She had to be in school somewhere.


Leaky Cauldron

Hannah Abbott Longbottom gently levitated the wicker basket carrying her sleeping nine-week-old daughter, Alice Lorelei Longbottom. As she and the basket passed the little boxes containing the room keys, she reached into the box marked with a –Twenty-Two” and removed the old skeleton key.

A ginger haired woman, who was checking into the Leaky Cauldron with her husband, ogled the little brown haired angel as she slept in her basket. The women smiled and gently touched the face of the sleeping girl. She gave Hannah a smile and passed on the same advice that everyone, except Luna, had given her. –Enjoy them while they’re young. They grow up so quickly.”

Hannah smiled as if it was the first time she had been told that and continued escorting her new borders toward the stairway which led them up to the inn’s suites.

The couple was from Londonderry and they had, earlier that day, placed both of their children on the Hogwarts Express. After leaving Kings Cross, they had spent the rest of day sightseeing in Muggle London, shopping in Diagon Alley, and were about to begin a romantic getaway at the Leaky Cauldron to celebrate their first childfree evenings.

As she walked quietly as possible up inn’s second-floor hallway with the basket floating smoothly behind them, Hannah said, –Room Twenty-Two has a couple of special features that the two of you might find quite stimulating.” As they passed room Twenty, Hannah heard a muffled voice of someone saying something.

The little group of adults in the hallway came to an abrupt stop.

"Did you hear that?” Hannah asked the couple.

"Yes. It sounded like a child’s voice,” the husband answered.

–Room Number Twenty isn’t supposed to be occupied,” Hannah said as she turned back toward where she had heard the sound. A sudden wave of foreboding filled her chest; it was like the air surrounding her had suddenly grown thick.

The husband took a couple of extra steps to place himself between the door and his wife as he pulled his wand from the inside pocket of his suit jacket.

Hannah took Alice’s wicker basket and handed it to the wife. The two women looked at each other and an unspoken request passed between them. The wife nodded in return. Hannah knew that the woman would protect Alice as if she was her own.

Hannah walked to her right and knocked on the door of room twenty.

–Help,” cried a muffled, weak voice. Hannah inserted her magical pass key into the keyhole, waved her wand thinking the spell name, and the door unlocked.

The husband entered the room in front of Hannah. On the bed and the floor lay four people, two adults and two girls. They were magically bound and three of them were still fully gagged. The gag on the younger child, who lay on the floor, was partly off.

Hannah froze for a second, taking in the scene. She sent out her Patronus to the one man she was sure would know what to do: Harry Potter. She mumbled her message to head of the Aurors and then turned her attention to helping the checking in couple to free the bound family.

After about ten minutes, Harry and two people clad in sky blue robes entered the room. Hannah had summoned water and she was comforting the smaller of the two girls as she sat next to her holding her hand and stroking the dishwater-blonde hair. –You’ve been very brave. What’s your name?” she asked.

–Remington Alexandra Quince. We came to Diagon Alley yesterday to get my sister her books and today we were going to put Maggie on the Hogwarts Express, but we never made it to the station,” the weeping six-year-old said.

Harry Potter turned from his preliminary questioning of the father of the family, who had not been robbed of any monies Muggle or Magical, to bend down and look into the little girl’s teary, red eyes. –Maggie Quince. Do you mean Margaret Quince?” he asked.

–I’m here, Mr. Potter,” and Harry Potter turned to his left to find a face that looked very familiar. The girl’s face was familiar because, earlier in the day, he had seen her talking to his sons and niece on platform nine and three quarters. The face he had seen on the platform had joined his children on the train ride up to Hogwarts.


Hogwarts Great Hall

Just as the plates, full of every dessert imaginable, appeared on the Gryffindor house table, Scorpius noticed that Professor Longbottom had walked out of a room behind the Staff Table and was standing next to the Headmaster at the table in an animated discussion. Scorpius reached over to tap the table in front of Rose. Rose, who had been selecting an iced raspberry tart for her sweet of the day, sat the pastry on a small plate and turned to the front of the Great Hall to observe the teacher’s conversation.

Just as Jimber stuffed an entire eighth of chocolate cake into his mouth and began to reach for a glass of pumpkin juice to wash it down, the Headmaster announced in a loud, magically enhanced voice. –Will James Potter and all of the second year Gryffindor students please report to your Head-of-House Professor Longbottom at the door behind and to the left of the staff table?”

–Wumber wha’ dey van’ wif us?” Jimber asked, as he attempted to quickly swallow the cake, which had left brown icing remnants like a mustache across his top lip.

As the eight young Gryffindors followed their Head of House into the little study behind the Staff Table, Scorpius looked to the back of the room and instantly recognized two of the three adults standing next to the glass case which held numerous timepieces. Standing next to an unknown young woman with cropped brunette hair, Scorpius recognized Auror Sterling and Harry Potter. All three adults stood in front of the young people with stern looks on their faces.

Harry Potter raised a hand to forestall any talking. He looked at the faces of each of the students, seemly perplexed by something. After a moment or two he announced, –A situation has occurred and we need to question all of you. I want you to know that no-one in this room is in trouble. However, we will need to take your statements. You will be required to not speak talk to anyone about what you say in your statements. When we are finished with the statements we will discuss with you the reason for all of this.”

–Uncle Harry, does it have something to do with Margaret Quince? Because-” began Rose Weasley.

Harry raised a hand toward his niece. –Rose! I said no one can talk about it,” Harry, with a razor edge in his voice, responded.

–Sorry,” Rose whimpered.

Scorpius glared over at Harry Potter, he didn’t like way her uncle had spoken to Rose. After all, she was just trying to be helpful.

–Auror Broomwright, I need you to take the statements of Jimber Dokes, Kaitlin Jones, and Rose Weasley,” Harry said, to the twenty-something brunette who was trying hard to scowl at her young charges.

–Auror Sterling, take my sons and Scorpius Malfoy, and I’ll interview Mr. Baird and Miss Gleich.”

Scorpius and the Potter brothers followed Auror Sterling to a small wooden table in the corner. Sterling conjured four wooden chairs and asked Albus and Scorpius to sit on the leftmost chairs. Sterling next waved his wand over the two seated boys and a strange buzzing noise filled their ears so they could not hear James, although he was feet away. As Scorpius watched, James talked to the older man for about ten minutes. After James was done, Albus and James swapped places.

When it was Scorpius’ turn, Sterling looked down at a scroll, letting Scorpius squirm for a moment or two. He then asked, –For the record, please state your full name and tell me about the last time you saw Margaret Quince.”

Scorpius wet his lips with a flick of his tongue and answered, –My name is Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy. And I last saw Margaret Quince on platform nine and three-quarters as we boarded the train to return to school.”

Sterling jotted down some notes on a piece of parchment. Scorpius leaned forward to try and read the notes. The Auror used his off-hand to hide the writing. With a bit of annoyance in his voice, Sterling continued his questioning, –Can you tell me; how she was acting and how it compared to the way she normally acts. Did you notice any differences in the way she walked or talked?”

Scorpius felt his face twist as he considered the brief encounter on the platform, –Well, she did seem very standoffish. Now Margaret is usually not very friendly toward us guys, but she is always talking to Jenelle and Rose. Today, she almost ignored Rose and Jen before she boarded the train.”

The Auror scribbled more notes behind his hand. Scorpius ignored the note taking and considered the questions like they were moves in Wizard Chess trying to see where they were going. Sterling looked Scorpius in the eyes, –Did you actually see her board the train?”

–Yes, I saw her enter the carriage and I saw her giving mean looks through the window as she walked past us,” answered Scorpius.

–Well, if you think of anything else please let us or one of your teachers know immediately. You lot got lucky last year, son. Don’t risk anything trying to be the heroes again,” warned Sterling.

Scorpius’ interview had ended last of all of the Gryffindors. The students stood at the front of the room not looking at each other, but closely observing the adults. The three Aurors held a conference in the back of the room; often the younger Aurors would reference their notes from their interviews. Harry turned toward the front of the room so he could address the students. However before he could start his talk, Headmaster Flitwick and Gryffindor Head of House Professor Longbottom entered the room from the Great Hall. The noise from beyond the door meant that the rest of the students had been dismissed from the feast.

As Professor Longbottom shut the door to the Great Hall, Flitwick turned toward Harry and said, –All students will remain in their dorms and all of the non-Head of House teachers will congregate in the Teacher’s lounge, as per your instructions, Harry.”

Harry nodded. He looked over at those in the room and said, –Your classmate, Margaret Quince, is currently resting under Auror guard in St. Mungo’s Hospital. While she has no permanent injuries, the healers wanted to keep her and her whole family under observation overnight to ensure that there was no undiscovered curse present. The person you met this morning was not Margaret, but an imposter. Yesterday, the Quince family was attacked and they were found bound and gagged inside a room at the Leaky Cauldron. The attacker also clipped large pieces of hair from Margaret’s head before leaving the family.”

–Polyjuice Potion?” interrupted Rose. Harry tried unsuccessfully to hide a smile, because the way Rose had just blurted out the answer so reminded him so much her mother.

–Margaret, the fake one, had a case with little drawers in it. When she moved it off of the trunk, I thought I heard glass clinking,” said Jimber.

Harry raised his hands to both silence the kids and to regain control of the room. –First things first,” Harry said staring his sons in the eyes. –There is a certain item missing from my locked desk drawer at home. James, Albus, which of you has the Marauder’s Map?”

Scorpius looked at the two brothers and found it was the younger brother who was fidgeting. Finally, Albus gave in. –I have it. The map is in my trunk.”

–Actually, I asked him to get it,” Rose confessed. As if she was unable to stop, she continued, –I thought it might make visiting Hagrid easier than it was last year. We hardly got the chance to sneak out…” The girl’s face went ashen as her brain had suddenly realized what her mouth was confessing to.

–I don’t care why. I just need the map. Now!” Harry said to the room at large.

Headmaster Flitwick looked to the floor and announced, –The Headmaster of Hogwarts needs a house-elf to assist him.” Suddenly standing in front of the small man was an elf wearing a cloth with a monogrammed H on it. Flitwick looked the elf in the eyes. –I need you to go to the Gryffindor tower, open the trunk of Albus Potter, and to retrieve for me-” He looked at over at Harry.

–A magical packet of seemingly blank, old parchment,” finished Harry Potter.

The elf disappeared, after bowing to both Harry Potter and the Headmaster. After what seemed like barely two minutes, the elf stood before Flitwick holding a packet of parchment in an extended hand. Flitwick took the pages, thanked the elf, who then disappeared, and handed it all to Harry Potter.

Potter took out his wand and touched the map, exclaiming, –I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” On the pages in his hand, the outlines of rooms and dots of individuals appeared on the paper. Harry laid the map on a nearby table and flipped pages till he found the proper one. Harry pointed to a spot and one by one fixed each person in the room with a stare. –Everyone in this room is who they appear to be.”

The two Aurors visibly relaxed behind their boss. Harry quickly separated the pages. –Headmaster, I need the full roster of students and staff that I requested.” Flitwick reached into his sleeve and pulled out a long scroll.

Scorpius first heard teacher’s names being called out. As Mr. Potter spoke a name, Auror Sterling would answer the name with the word. –Check.”

After the Teacher’s lounge, the Gryffindors were checked on the map. House by house was cross-referenced that way until Harry Potter spoke. –All of the students and staff are accounted for on the roster except for Miss Quince, of course. That leaves us with a number of possibilities. However, what it does mean is that it is safe to let this lot go to Gryffindor tower and to bed. They’ve probably heard too much to get much sleep tonight. However, your parents will expect you to be ready for class tomorrow. I know I’ll expect James and Albus to be.”

–Neville, a word,” requested Harry. The two men whispered to each other. Harry noticed that Scorpius and Rose were both leaning ear first toward their conversation. Rolling his eyes, he pulled out his wand and waved it. The buzzing sound from before his interrogation returned to his ears.

After the conversation with Harry, Professor Longbottom escorted his students up the stairs towards their beds. Although none of them talked, Rose and Scorpius exchanged a knowing look. So much for a quiet second year at school.

Chapter 3 - Places of Interest by Hotrav

While Harry Potter and the two blue robed Aurors stood around the dark oak table talking about what they should do next, Professor Flitwick arranged with the house-elves for coffee, tea, and a plate of desserts to be delivered to the little room. When the Auror’s conversation was done, Harry hunted through the heaped dessert plate until he found a treacle tart. He placed the tart on a small plate and reached over to pour coffee into a china cup. Sitting at the table, he took a bite of the dessert and relished the taste of the dish that his wife had never quite mastered.

As the Aurors sat next to Harry in their eating of a snack, the group was joined by Deputy Headmaster John Dawlish. Dawlish poured a cup of tea and absent-mindedly stirred in milk and sugar as he listened to Harry and Flitwick gave him a rundown of the facts as they knew them. Although the ex-Auror made a number of faces as he sipped the tea, he offered no opinion about the facts of the case.

After finishing his tart, Harry looked at the Headmaster and his assistant, saying, –I see four distinct possibilities: the suspect got on and later got off of the train before it left, the suspect escaped the train after Kings Cross and before Hogsmeade, the suspect slipped away at the Hogsmeade platform, or the suspect is currently on the school grounds in an area not shown on the map.”

Flitwick tilted his head to the left and looked at his three former students who were now Aurors. –Why would someone go through all of the effort to change their identity and go to King’s Cross so they could leave the train before the trip?” asked Headmaster Flitwick. –The suspect could have walked out of the front door of the Leaky Cauldron and disappeared into Muggle London.”

–I agree. However, what if the person just wanted to sneak something into the school through the girl’s luggage?” offered Harry to the room at large. Flitwick nodded his head as he considered the possibilities. –Headmaster, could you have a house-elf move Miss Quince’s luggage down to the Boat House? We will check it out later for any suspicious items, concealment, or curses,” requested Harry.

The Headmaster nodded and the Sterling wrote something down in his notes.

–As for leaving the train during the trip, for the safety of the students the Hogwarts Express is magically sealed from the time the train begins its journey from King’s Cross, until the conductor unlocks it as it pulls into the Hogsmeade platform,” added Flitwick.

–Really? Something about Hogwarts that Hermione didn’t tell me,” said Harry, as a grin slipped out.

–So the suspect is either in the Hogsmeade area or on the grounds. As soon as there is light, Broomwright, I will need you to search the village and the surrounding hill caves for signs of an interloper. You should also check in with The Three Broomsticks and The Hogs Head to see if anyone checked in late yesterday.”

–Yes, sir,” said the young Auror as she wrote the instruction onto a small notebook.

–Headmaster, it is my understanding that all of the secret passages, such as the one under the one-eyed witch statue were collapsed or sealed. Am I correct?” Harry saw Flitwick’s head nod in agreement. –Sterling. You and I will check them anyway. It could be some desperate student was able to reopen them. I also request that Hagrid go to the Whomping Willow and look around for signs of recent foot prints or damage to the tree. And if he finds any signs have him stand guard outside until we come down to check out the Shrieking Shack. That leaves one place in the castle and when Neville gets back we will go there and check it out,” requested Harry.

Fifteen minutes later, Neville returned the room. Before anyone could speak to him, Neville said to Harry, –We need to check out the Room of Requirement. A lot of people found out about the Room during our last year. And while most of them were on our side, it could be they talked about how to access it.”

–My thoughts exactly. Will you do the honor?” answered Harry.


Harry stood with his back to the familiar tapestry of tutu-clad trolls. Standing to his left was Headmaster Flitwick and to his right stood his two Auror charges. Sterling, who had learned about the existence of room during the previous Christmas break, was whispering to his rookie partner explaining about the Room of Requirement and how it functioned. Five feet away, Neville, eyes closed and a face calmed in deep thought, walked back-and-forth in front a blank corridor wall.

Just as Broomwright was questioning how such a place could go unnoticed by all of the students, a double door appeared just in front of her in the wall. Harry turned to his right, steadied his right hand which held his wand and led his two law enforcement officers into the room.

Neville intercepted Harry and asked him a question, –Since the room opened for me, doesn’t that mean it’s not currently in use?”

Harry slowly shook his head. –No. Trelawney got into the room of hidden things while Malfoy was experimenting on his cabinet. While it probably means there is no danger, you could have just lucked into the same description of what the room was required to become.”

Neville gave Harry a slight shrug. While he was certain that the appearance of the room meant that there was no danger present. However, he knew Harry would not rest until he was certain that the area was secure.

Neville and Flitwick stood facing the door also prepared for a possible conflict with anyone who tried to escape. Clutched in Flitwick’s hand was the map so he could check the true identities of all of the people whom exited the room. With Polyjuice potion having been used, recognizing someone’s face was not enough; the map was their one hope to truly trap the offender.

After about a half an hour of searching, the three exited the door. Neville held his wand on all three of them. Professor Flitwick checked the map against the faces and declared that there was no intruder in the group.

Harry took back the map. He pondered what to do with the item. He had thought that at Christmas, the map might accidently be slipped into Albus’ trunk. He knew from experience that sometimes a kid just needed to sneak down to Hagrid’s hut to blow off some steam. However, with an intruder on the loose, the map was just too precious to be out of his sight.

–Professor, do you have a couple of extra rooms for me and my Aurors to spend the night in? With this mystery, I think we need a presence here until we are sure that no one has snuck into the school,” said Harry to the Headmaster.

–You can use the Gryffindor Head of House suite. I commute from the Leaky Cauldron, except when I have night patrol duties,” offered Neville.

–Thanks, Neville,” Harry responded, patting his old friend on the shoulder.


Gryffindor Tower

Rose sat in the row of the soft oversized arm chairs closest to the fireplace of the Gryffindor Common Room. The room was empty except the four friends who sat in a close circle. Rose leaned her head further into the circle. Scorpius saw through the dark red tinged light from the dying embers that the corner of Rose’s left eye twitched showing the nerves she was probably doing her best trying to hide from the boys.

–Why would someone attack Margaret of all people?” asked Rose.

‘She’s a Muggle-born. An easier target, she has no witch or wizard parents to overpower,” replied Scorpius. –My question is was she chosen at random?”

–Or was she chosen to get into Gryffindor tower?” Rose finished Scorpius’ thought.

–Who would want to get in here?” asked Jimber.

–Malaites?” offered Albus.

–Doubtful. They’d go after my parents on the Island. They’d be a lot easier targets than us,” responded Jimber.

Rose, face full of concern, said, –I was so hoping to have a nice quiet second year with no excitement. We need to get a firm foundation for our education. With the World Junior Quidditch Cup next year, I doubt we’ll get much studying done during the summer. I mean we have less than four years before we take our O.W.L.s”

Jimber lost focus on what was being said. He would not have to study for the dreaded O.W.L.s. Next year, he would be returning to the Island, after his father had re-opened the ‘Académie de Magie’. Jimber couldn’t wait to get back to his Caribbean home, but he couldn’t imagine leaving his Hogwarts friends behind.

Albus rolled his eyes and puffed his cheeks out at Rose’s constant concern about tests that were way off into the future. The way Albus reacted to Rose reminded Jimber of a type of tree frog back on the Island. He was unsuccessful at trying to hide his amusement.

Rose, who always struggled with Albus’ habitual procrastinating with getting around to his studies, fixed him and Jimber with one of her patented how-can-you-not-see-the-obvious looks. Sighing at the two boy’s lack of concern, she turned to talk to the one who she considered her equal.

–What worries me is that they took a bunch of hair from Margaret. When she arrives at school, we should probably pull her, Jen and Harold aside for a talk. I think we will have to set up some sort of password with her. Just in case, the intruder has any more Margaret Polyjuice in reserve,” Scorpius said looking at Rose. –As a matter of face, the four of us should come up with some kind of identifying phrase or question so we can always be sure of each other.”

–I was thinking the same thing,” Rose replied smiling at Scorpius. If Rose had taken her eyes off Scorpius, she would have seen Jimber and Albus shaking their heads at the pair’s unneeded safeguards.

Chapter 4 - Friendly Returns by Hotrav

All of the second-year Gryffindors waited just inside of the double doors at the front of the school. The whole pack seemed to lean forward and peered out through the misty overcast of the morning. The students were all focused down toward the school’s giant iron front gates.

–Harry, do you see anything?” asked Jenelle for the third time in almost as many minutes.

Harry Baird, the tallest of the group by almost three or four inches, squinted for a second or two before he answered, –I think so. It’s just hard to tell with all of this mist.”

He had been correct, because within a couple of minutes all of them saw the carriage coming up from Hogsmeade. The invisibly-drawn vehicle stopped in front of the doors. The first person to step out of the carriage was a blue clad man, who held the door open and from behind him stepped Margaret Quince in her school robes.

When Margaret saw Jenelle and Rose, she sprinted up towards the door taking the wet steps in leaps. She slid slightly from her wet shoes on the moist flagstones in the entrance hall. As she skidded to a halt, she reached out to wrap both of her friends in one big hug. Kaitlin and the boys hung back feeling slightly weird about watching the emotional reunion. Margaret pulled back from the two girls. Scorpius noticed the trickle of a tear visible on her right cheek just until she brushed it away.

–I thought I’d never see either of you again,” she said with a quaver in her voice. –I thought for certain she was going to kill us. And look what she did to my hair. I had it done specially the day before we left home. It’s such a mess now.”

–Maybe Madam Pomfrey or one of the seventh-year girls can help set it right?” started Jenelle.

Scorpius, unable to keep quiet, interrupted Margaret. –She?”

Margaret flinched as if she hadn’t noticed the rest of crowd. She took a minute to compose herself before she answered him. –We don’t really know, but they said she couldn’t have turned into me without reverting to her true form. And I never saw her change form.”

–So, you saw her face?” inquired Rose.

–No, she hid her face behind a cloth under a cloak. We never got a good look at her,” replied Margaret. "Oh, please can we not talk about it now.” She looked at Kaitlin and the boys for a minute looking all teary eyed. –Thank you for coming to greet me. I really appreciate it.” And just as she finished the thought, she reached over and hugged the nearest one of the boys: Albus.

Albus stood ridged and sort of half-patted her on the back. After Albus, she hugged Harry Baird who seemed to hug her back. Jimber was her next victim and Scorpius was the final boy to be hugged.

Margaret turned toward Kaitlin who was standing with her arms folded across her chest. Kaitlin said, –Don’t even think about it!”

Scorpius thought that was a strange response. After all with her Aunt Gwenog, Kaitlin should have been used to seeing girls hugging and kissing each other.

Margaret shrugged her shoulders and said, –Well thanks anyway, Kaitlin.” A strange silence hung over the little group until Margaret spoke. –I’m starving; I couldn’t stomach the food at St. Mungo’s. I could use a good Hogwarts breakfast."

Just before the group left for the Great Hall, the Auror Smith handed Margaret the purse and umbrella she had left behind in the carriage. Margaret smiled at the older man and thanked him for all that he had done for her and her family.

Smith gave the girl a half bow, touched his hat in salute, and walked into the school to find and report to Harry Potter.

Smiling, the eight Gryffindors walked as one into the Great Hall. They got about five steps into the Hall before Margaret was recognized. A group, made up of mostly Gryffindor girls, rushed over to greet and talk to her. She was practically dragged to the bench of the house table so everyone in the semicircle of well wishers around her could hear her tell and re-tell her story.

Scorpius looked down the table as Rose sat next to Margaret. As he watched, he noticed she did not say a word. Rose, it seemed to him, was like a sponge absorbing every detail Margaret relayed.


Harry Potter reviewed Auror Smith’s update on the Quince family and his bringing of the girl to school. Harry paused from his contemplation. He returned to his breakfasting in the Headmaster’s office with Flitwick and Deputy Headmaster Dawlish. In between bites of food, he gave the heads of the school and update on the status of the investigation. The reports were all very brief and very negative.

–We found nothing wrong with the luggage. We confirmed Hagrid’s observations that no footprints were around the Whomping Willow and reconfirmed that no one has been in the shack for years. Broomwright found nothing amiss in Hogsmeade or the mountain caves. And I confirmed with the Three Broomsticks and the Hogs Head that no new customers checked in yesterday,” said Harry looking over at Flitwick.

–And the Forest?” asked Dawlish.

–I alerted the centaurs by Patronus of the possibility that some humans may be using the forest as a hiding place or a base of operations. I’m certain they will search the grounds far better than we could. My only worry is that they might have to fight them to rescue any intruders they discover,” he added.

–An interesting puzzle,” said a familiar voice from the wall. All three men turned to look behind Flitwick’s desk to see the painted image of Dumbledore with his head tilted to the right his eyebrows furrowed as if analyzing the matter. –I shall look forward to see how you resolve it.” And having added his comment, the old wizard appeared to go back into his painted slumber.

–He’s always doing that,” said Dawlish. –Even after all of these years, he still cannot keep his nose out of things.”

The sleeping face of Dumbledore smiled slightly before the faux-snoring restarted.

Harry regained his composure and returned to the subject on hand. –Well, I can’t keep my Aurors in the school. We don’t have enough Aurors to waste having them here just babysitting. And I can’t spend twenty-four hours a day staring at the Marauder’s Map.” Harry turned toward the Headmaster awaiting some idea or wisdom.

–Well, if that is the case Harry, I’m afraid we’ll have to tighten our night patrolling by the teachers. I will call in the Head Boy and Head Girl and the Prefects. They will have to watch for unusual actions by their fellow housemates,” said Flitwick. –John, who is the staff member on tonight’s watch?”

–Jason Kettlebaum,” Dawlish answered.

–Ah, well it looks like we’ll be breaking our new Potions Master in straight away. Perhaps I should join him and regale him with the stories of what it was like to be a teacher here under the Death Eaters and our heroic roles during the Battle of Hogwarts,” said Flitwick.

–I’m certain he will enjoy that, Headmaster” said Dawlish while grinning over at Harry.

–Well, if you hear anything or even a hint of anything, let me or Ron know,” Harry instructed. –One of us is almost always on duty.”


Astoria's Perfect Potions London

The shop was just about to open and Draco was reviewing the already busy morning. He and Astoria had risen early and they separately left their house in Grimmauld Place. She traveled to the wizard’s market in Godric’s Hollow to buy the plants and various other potion ingredients that the next batch Oberon’s Nectar and the other requested potions needed. Meanwhile, he had just returned from a trip to Gringotts after he had taken the week’s proceeds out of his store’s vault in the wall to be deposited in the store’s accounts.

As Draco visually checked the quantity of stock in the shop window, the outline of a man in the mid-morning shadows stepped into the sunlight. He had stepped out of nowhere just as Draco was looking at the spot. It was like he had wanted to be noticed. The face of the heavy man peered across at the large front window of the shop. He was not looking at sign which contained the normal business hours of Astoria’s Perfect Potions; the grey bearded man was staring directly at Draco. Draco returned the look back at the older man, under the scraggly beard and dirty clothes, something seemed vaguely familiar about him.

Draco made a motion that would look to an outsider like he was scratching his arm, but in reality, he was confirming the location of his wand under his smock. Reassured by the quick availability of the wand, he reexamined the face freezing its image in his mind so he could provide the image to Potter or one of his underlings, just in case. The matted hair of the stranger was shoulder length and brushed against the collar of a tattered and stained overcloak. Draco could almost smell the man through the window. He had seen the man’s hungry look among the Snatcher filth that had attached themselves to the Dark Lord and were housed, at times, in the Manor. As he mentally traced the chin, he shuttered. He knew this man. Or he had known him once. It had been years, but the face staring at him had to be Gregory Goyle.

Draco did not feel any warmth for the man. They had not heard from him since the time Goyle had shown up a few months after the fall of the Dark Lord at the manor house begging for money. Vincent Crabbe’s mother, who was living with the Malfoys before her suicide, had chased Goyle away. Draco had not even known Goyle had visited until it was brought up at the evening meal.

After that aborted attempt at contact, Goyle had disappeared into the ether and Draco had never thought of trying to find him. Draco took a deep breath and called toward the back room so his wife would hear.

–Astoria, we have company. Please stay in the back. I don’t think there will be any trouble, but I could be wrong.”

A shaky but concerned voice wafted through the small window in-between the two rooms, –Who’s the company?”

–Do you remember Gregory Goyle?”

–That lump! I couldn’t believe my sister had such a huge crush on him at school,” she replied. –I’ll stay here as quiet as Granger in the library.”

Draco smiled. No matter what the situation, his wife could always lift the gloom. He swallowed, slipped the smock off, adjusted his vest, centered his tie, and walked toward the door to unlock and open it to see what his old ‘friend’ wanted.

Even after Draco opened the door, Goyle did not move. He gave a quick look up the Alley toward the bank and back down the alley towards Ollivanders. Only when no one seemed to be paying attention to him did he walk toward Draco. As he walked past into the shop, Draco’s head involuntarily pulled back. He had greatly underestimated the stench.

–Could you close the shop for a bit, so we can really talk? And maybe, if you’ve got something strong somewhere you might spare an old friend a wee dram of it to wet his whistle.”

Draco did not move either towards Goyle or any imagined bottles. He was sizing up his old friend. The bulk of the man meant a physical confrontation was out. He had always been a far better wizard than Goyle, but what if he had nothing to lose? Could he take him if Goyle didn’t fight fair? Draco blinked and wondered where the thought of fighting fairly had come from? He had been spending far too much time with the Potter and Weasley clans.

Draco’s obvious delay caused Goyle to jerk of his head backwards like he had been grazed by a weak punch. –So that’s how it gonna be? Fine. Okay. Let’s get down to brass Knuts then. Draco, I need your help. You’ve got to help me. And if you do or not, the choice you make will be a source of great riches or greater regrets.”


Hogwarts

The first class of their second year was to be the same as the first class of last year: Herbology. As he looked down at the timetable, Scorpius noted that this year the class was to be a combination of both Gryffindor and Slytherin students. Although, they all left the Great Hall together, Jenelle, Rose and Margaret were constantly being stopped by late rising students wanting to hear Margaret’s tale. Eventually, Kaitlin and the guys went on to Greenhouse Number Two to give Professor Longbottom the word about the soon to be late classmates.

When the trio of girls arrived, they found that all of the other students were waiting around the large, raw wood hewn table, waiting for the class to begin. As Vestara Vesper looked up to see the arrival of late comers, she pulled out her wand and pointed at the three girls.

–Someone get the Aurors. They need to be arrested. What if they’re intruders?” she announced to the class. Grenda Zabini and Mars Pyter, as usual, laughed at the comment.

Jenelle stepped in between the wand and her friend. Rose stepped to Jenelle’s side and dismissively shook her head at the lameness of Vesper’s wit. Then she said, –Oh really! You lot had all morning to plot what you were going to say when you met Margaret and that’s the best you could come up with? Pathetic!”

Vestara, her face in a snarl, took a step toward Rose. As she started her angry retort, Professor Longbottom cleared his throat to remind the class of the fact that he was present in the room.

Rose guided Margaret up the table and Margaret and Jenelle stepped in between Harry and Kaitlin. With her friend safe, Rose moved so she could be seated between Albus and Scorpius.

–Settle down, everybody. Now take notice of the earmuffs in front of you. When I signal you, you will have to put them on. We are starting the study of Mandrakes,” Neville announced to his class.


Freddy Weasley looked out of the common room window towards the pitch. The championship team of last year had lost two of its starting players, Chaser Minerva Smith and Goal Keeper Harry Wood. The Lions had also lost their two-year Captain Thaddeus Vance. However, more was at stake than just replacing two graduated players. His future and that of the whole team was going to be at stake.

Freddy could feel the butterflies growing in his stomach. One reason for the nerves was that he was going from being the team clown to being the person in charge. The second reason was that many of the house’s best players were among the second-years and Kaitlin Jones had trained them to look to her for leadership. The main reason for his worry was both he and Kitty-Kat knew she was really more qualified to lead a Quidditch team than he was. He had to do something provocative or risk spending his last year at school being a doormat for Kaitlin Jones.

So to gain control of the team, he called for try-outs on the very first Saturday of the school year. He knew that what he was proposing to do would be unfair to the first-years, but he suspected that none of the newcomers could cope with the older student and the second years.

So Freddy had spent most of Friday morning convincing seventh-year returning starting Chaser Tony Thistlecrowne to try out for his old position.

Dejectedly, Tony lashed out at him. –Why bother? Either Malfoy or your cousin Albus are certain to beat me out. I’m not going to be embarrassed in front of the whole house by any of the kittens.”

During lunch on Friday, Freddy pulled Thistlecrowne and fifth-year Beater Eric Woolingsbee aside. Leaning toward his two old teammates, Fred whispered to them, –Believe me, if you are even close to one of Kitty-Kat’s kittens, I’ll pick you over them.”

Thistlecrowne gave his friend an incredulous look. –Even if the second-year I replace is your cousin Albus?”

–Even if the kitten was my mother,” answered Fred and he extended his hand to seal the deal. Thistlecrowne and Woolingsbee smiled and they shook his hand sealing the pact.

Freddy had felt proud of his deal as he left the Great Hall, but as he heard Professor Binns drone on about some stupid Troll tribal war in sixteenth century Romania, he began to regret the promise. He could not pick Malfoy or Dokes and sleep well at night. However, could he really look his cousin Albus in the eye and not pick him if he was the better player?

Chapter 5 - Atop the Tor by Hotrav

Draco stood in the corner of the ruin of St. Michael’s Church. Trying to calm his nerves, he gripped and re-gripped the wand in his left hand as he leaned further back so that the sun’s first rays would not find him yet. He had arrived an hour early to check if there was someone lying in wait to snatch him. After he had searched the area around the ruin, he had set alarm spells around the structure to announce the appearance of other wand carriers in the area. Why had he agreed to meet Goyle, at all, let alone at the top of this tor was beyond him.

He had reluctantly let Goyle enter into his shop on Friday. In a fifteen minute monologue, Goyle had told Draco that he had enough evidence that could re-open the investigation into Draco’s role in allowing the Death Eaters into Hogwarts. At the time, Draco’s part had been overlooked as the authorities focused on Snape and on Dumbledore’s death. He also mentioned about an opportunity for a well-connected potion maker to make large amounts of untraceable, quick-and-easy money. Finally, he had also in passing mentioned something about Scorpius and the mystery at Hogwarts. What had concerned Draco was that Goyle had known details of what had happened to the Quince family that had not been in the Daily Prophet. He knew things that Astoria had only learned from Hannah Longbottom.

After Goyle had finished having his say, he had shouted to the back of the shop, –Astoria, say hello to your sister. Tell her if she ever wants to leave that half-blood scum she’s living with for a real man, let me know.” And with a guttural chuckle, he had left Draco behind with the lingering body odor that was the only evidence of his ever being there.

Draco closed his eyes for a second and, just as fatigue began to tug on the edges of his mind, four, maybe five, distinct gong sounds rang through the tower. Draco nodded; leave it to Goyle to not come alone as they agreed upon. Draco cursed himself for his not bringing his own back up. The only person who knew where he was currently was Astoria and Goyle probably had her under observation. He should have left a note or something at The Leaky Cauldron just in case the meeting went wrong. Damnit Draco, when did you get so f’ing trusting? I’ve spent too long away from my father. The old bastard kept me sharp, spending time with Longbottoms and Weasleys has left me soft and vulnerable.

Goyle stepped into the tower; he was still wearing the stained overcloak. He had also not bathed. The wand in his right hand was already pointing into the corner in which Draco stood. A high pitched male voice called from outside, –No back-up, visible or not.”

–No back-up. You’ve gotten old and sloppy Malfoy,” he said, as he gave a grin akin to a jackal eying an injured antelope.

Draco couldn’t let that comment pass, –Well at least I didn’t get fat, like some.”

–Good. Good, that’s the Draco I remember,” answered Goyle. –That’s the Draco who would jump at the chance to take part.”

–The Draco you speak of is gone; he was afraid and unsure of himself. I’m neither. So tell me what you want, or get the hell out of my way so I can get back to something important, like my business.”

Draco had hoped his comment would bluff his way out of the mess he’d gotten himself into. Instead it seemed to be exactly what Goyle wanted to hear.

–There’s an once-in-a-lifetime chance, Malfoy. People like me are leaderless, like a bloody ship without a rudder. For the first time in quarter of a century, there is no arse on the throne. And with a little of your help, I can seize the power, before Potter or his lap dog Weasley tumble to it and try to step in and stop me,” Goyle said. His voice was breathy and he talked in a sing-song way that made Draco wonder if he knew where he was going.

–What are you on about?” he asked, for information and to bide for time.

–Mundungus Fletcher is dead and the old men who supported him have buggered off,” Goyle smiled. –And someone will need to take control of the people in the trade, like Dung did. Mediating turf fights, helping organize big scores, and skimming a fat percentage off of everybody’s take for his own purse.”

–I still don’t see what you need me for,” Draco replied, hiding a flicker of panic caused by the realization that if he said no; Goyle might kill him here and now just to keep him silent.

–Let’s just say we need a new potion maker. Someone who can purchase ingredients like lacewing flies and Boomslang skins without tipping off the Aurors.”

–Surely you can get everything you need for Polyjuice without me,” Draco answered, seeing the trap before him looming.

–Maybe, but would I trust them to brew it? Not a chance,” Goyle replied. –Now a man with a pretty wife and a young son who can be reached twenty-four seven, I’d trust him.”

Draco gave an involuntary swallow and was angry with himself for the show of weakness. –I’ll have to talk to Astoria; she’s the master potion maker. Also, Polyjuice potion takes time to brew. I won’t be able to get you any for months.”

Goyle seemed to think it through. The jackal’s smile returned –I’ll be outside the shop a half hour before opening Tuesday when you’ll give me the answer I want.”

Draco held Goyle’s gaze. He had been weak once. If he showed weakness twice, it might be fatal. Goyle shouted, –Time to go boy-ohs.” Then he turned and was gone. He was alone.

Draco stepped back into his corner and leaned against the stone walls for support. He had to decide. He could not leave this up to Astoria. She would go running to Potter or attempt to go it alone, trusting to luck.

Draco bit his lower lip as he reviewed his limited options. He could not come up with an angle to get out of helping Goyle. He also couldn’t know how much what Goyle said was true or just the fancy of a whisky-addled mind. Was Fletcher really dead? Could Goyle really pull off his power play? He needed someone with contacts in the underworld, but also someone he could talk to without raising flags in the Ministry. He needed someone who knew the score and would be ruthless in his analysis and tactics. He needed someone with experience playing both sides against the middle. He needed to go to the Manor and talk with his father.


Gryffindor Tower - Hogwarts

Saturday morning Scorpius awoke just as the first light of the dawn began to shine into the window, he rolled over away from the window and tried to return to sleep. The sleep did not come. He went to the loo and returned to bed but there was still no sleep to be found. After almost a half an hour, he gave up.

When Scorpius sat up to get dressed, he saw a pair of eyes watching him through the bed draperies. Jimber was wide awake. As Jimber undid his curtains, Albus rolled over to face his two friends.

–Is it too early for breakfast?” whispered Albus as he looked over to the bed in the corner at sleeping lump of Harold Baird.

–It’s always time for breakfast,” answered Jimber as he began dressing.

–How can you eat? Aren’t you nervous?” asked Scorpius to his friend.

–How can I eat? How can you not eat? I’m starved,” Jimber replied in total disbelief.

Scorpius began to dress. At nine o’clock were the team tryouts and he was nervous. A part of his nerves came from the fact that his father had made the Slytherin house team as a second-year. Another part of his nerves came from the fact the he expected both Albus and Rose to make the team. He doubted Jimber would make the team, but his best friend would be leaving next year. If he didn’t make the team and the cousins did, would be left an outsider in his own dormitory? Scorpius began to feel depressed and the nervous feeling grew.

Suddenly, he felt something big and soft hit him in the face. After a seconds panic, Scorpius pushed the item away to discover he had been hit by Albus’ pillow.

Albus sat on the edge of his bed looking very proud of his toss –Are you coming or not? Or should we send a girl from the common room up to Rose, so you two can walk down to breakfast hand-in-hand?”

Scorpius felt his blood pressure rise and he grabbed the thrown pillow and tried to smack Potter’s head with it. Albus threw up his right arm to block Scorpius’ pillow attack. However, Jimber’s pillow strike took him totally by surprise. Albus yelled as both boys repeatedly smacked him with their white down weapons.

–What are you doing? It’s Saturday! Can’t a bloke get some sleep?” shouted a half awaken Harold.

–Sorry mate,” answered Jimber, as he flipped his pillow back on his bed. Scorpius just dropped Albus’ pillow on the floor and quietly finished dressing. Suppressing laughs, the three boys grabbed their brooms from just inside the door of their dormitory where they had placed them last night. Albus held the door for his two roommates and they walked down the stairway leading to the Common Room.

Jimber was almost done with his second helping of waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausage when Scorpius was finishing up his plate of strawberries, runny eggs, and toast. Albus was looking around at the lack of fellow students. Scorpius saw Albus wave at someone coming into the door. He turned to see Rose walking into the hall, broom in hand, with Kaitlin Jones, a blond third-year Scorpius just knew as Reilly and a dark-skinned girl who was possibly a fifth year. The girls sat there brooms across the table next to them building a make shift wall.

A few steps behind the girls, Freddy Weasley and three other guys walked in and plopped themselves and their brooms at the far end of the table. One of the people with the Captain was James Potter; James did not immediately sit down with the older boys. He walked up to the second-years and began to talk to his brother. –Ally, do try and stay on your broom today. I’d hate for you to be a total embarrassment to the family name. Hey, Kitty-Kat, if you don’t make the Gryffindor team maybe your cousin will let you be a reserve for Hufflepuff.”

Kaitlin stood up with her hands on her hips and a dangerous gleam in her eyes. Her quick reaction surprised Scorpius, Rose fixed her cousin with slight grin. –You know, James, if you keep going out of your way to pick fights with Kaitlin, people will start to talk. They might wonder why you care so much.”

Rose’s comment drew two sets of looks sharp as daggers. Scorpius looked at the James and Kaitlin and wondered what Rose was up to. Albus exploded into laughter, then reached over to grab one of Jimber’s last pieces of waffle and tossed it at his brother.

–Go back to your mates, lover boy,” taunted the younger Potter. At his brother’s comment, James retreated up the table.

Kaitlin now faced Albus hands still on her hips. –I didn’t need your help!”

–What? It got him to leave, didn’t it?” asked an amused Albus.

Kaitlin sat down and started grabbing food for her plate. Scorpius caught Rose’s eye and they shared a smile, before returning to eat.

As James mumbled something about Kitty-Kat to the older players, Freddy searched the rest of the Great Hall. –Great. Lee’s here for breakfast. He must have found out about our try-outs and wants to spy for Ravenclaw.” Freddy searched the other tables. No one was at the Hufflepuff table and only three sat at the Slytherin table. Two of the Slytherins were a boy and a girl of about sixth-year who were kissing, giggling, and feeding each other breakfast, and, at the end of the table closest to the door, a first-year girl was eating all by herself.

Fred smiled. Let Lee spy. Heck, why not invite the Captain of Ravenclaw onto the pitch? Our try outs will be so strong that it will probably demoralize him. Freddy marveled at his innate brilliance as he ate his breakfast.

A couple of more Gryffindors stumbled in for an early breakfast, including Harry and Abby Baird. Abby plopped down in between Rose and Kaitlin. She began to pepper Rose with questions about Quidditch. Rose smiled and took time to answer each inquiry thoroughly. Scorpius smiled. He knew that teaching Abby would relax her for the tryout. He also found her sweet voice had a calming affect on him.

At eight thirty, Freddy and his group stood up and, without preamble, walked towards the doors. At the same time, Scorpius noticed a thin, black-haired boy leave the Ravenclaw table. The group around Scorpius was starting to stand when Jimber nudged him on the shoulder.

On the way out, Abby waved at the girl who was sitting alone at the Slytherin table. She did not respond. Abby sighed, and continued following the group toward the front doors.


As the group of Gryffindors neared the pitch, they saw Hagrid and Auror Broomwright walking toward them. Broomwright had her arms extended, showing her palms. Hagrid spoke before anyone could ask.

–Hold on, you lot. You can’t go any closer to the forest, not until the search is over anyway.”

–What search?” asked Freddy Weasley.

Broomwright shook her head, unhappy with Hagrid for speaking before she did –No comment. It’s all ministry business. Now go back up to the school,” added the female Auror.

–Are they searching for the intruder?” asked Rose.

–Ministry business,” Broomwright countered.

In the distance, Scorpius saw Rose’s father talking to a group of men and some horses. He squinted and realized that the men and horses were the same beings. Mr. Weasley was talking with the centaurs.

–Do you think it’s safe, ma’am? Maybe Hagrid should escort us back to the school just in case,” offered Scorpius.

Rose gave Scorpius a look of disbelief, but then he saw her expression turn into one of understanding. –Yes, I’d feel much safer if Hagrid escorted us back.” Broomwright shrugged at Hagrid, and the giant of a man began to walk the team back toward the school. /

Rose and Scorpius moved next to Hagrid. –So, Hagrid what was Rose’s dad doing with the centaurs?” Scorpius asked.

–I can’t tell ye anything. Official ministry business - you heard the Auror lady,” Hagrid replied. –And it’ll do ye no good asking me. I don’t know what that lady centaur told Bane about what she and her foal saw in the forest. Or why they asked me to contact the Ministry.”

–I didn’t know there were female centaurs in the forest” said Rose.

–Of course, there are lady centaurs! Where do you think they come from?” Hagrid answered. –I know that they’re very protective of their female folk and their foals. Probably why they reacted so much about the human scent and signs of digging they discovered in the forest.” He paused and shook his head. –I probably shouldn’t have said that.”

Rose looked around Hagrid’s girth gave Scorpius a smile and a wink. So there had been an intruder and it was in the Forbidden Forest.

Chapter 6 - Illusions by Hotrav

When Draco arrived back in his store on Diagon Alley, no one was in the front of the store. Draco walked past the counter and looked into the work room. Astoria was putting the finishing touches on her batch of Oberon’s Nectar. With the only other person in the building being his wife, he turned towards the door, pulled his wand out of his pocket and flicked it. The sign flipped to show that the store was now closed. As the sign flipped, draperies appeared and covered the windows. He looked at his handiwork and smiled; no prying eyes would be able to lip read their conversations and report them back to Goyle.

–I’m back, Astoria. We have to talk. We have so much to discuss. There are many things that will need to be thoroughly planned.”

Astoria walked through the swinging door into the front of the shop wiping her hands on a small terrycloth towel. She dropped the towel onto the front counter and moved to take her husband in her arms.

–Oh, Draco! I had a dream, Goyle ambushed -- I awoke and you were gone.” Astoria said to Draco all in one breath with an anguished quaver filling her voice.

–Later, we’ve got so little time. And one false step could mean death, Azkaban, or shame for both of us. We must tread carefully. I have a plan and we must follow it. Understand?”

Astoria stared into her husband’s eyes. She seemed to be trying to perform Occulmency on him. He reached over and stroked the hair around her left ear. The two of them looked into each other’s faces. She seemed more precious than ever to him.

–I just came from a meeting with my father and we came up with a plan - a plan that could keep you and Scorpius safe, and maybe restore the House of Malfoy to a solid footing.”

–We can’t trust him! He could be leading you into a trap for his own gain,” Astoria answered, her face wrinkled with concern.

–He might sell you and me for a tin Knut. However, if he let anything happen to Scorpius he will have to answer to my mother. And it is Scorpius’ future that matters, not ours.”

She nodded in acceptance. –What must I do and when do you need me to do it?”

Draco took her head back in his hands and kissed her on the forehead. –First, I need you to finish your batch of the Nectar for Ollivander. He’ll send either Wallace or Scamander here to pick it up before lunch. After that’s done, I want you to go to the Cauldron and talk to Hannah Longbottom. ”

Astoria listened to husband and periodically nodded her head as his instructions sank in. What was required wasn’t really that much, especially for a Slytherin mother who was trying to protect her family.


Hogwarts

As the Gryffindor team returned from their unsuccessful trip to Quidditch pitch, they were carrying their brooms over the shoulders, as the walked back into the Great Hall. The group of about twenty students was greeted by a lot of stares and a few cat-calls from the Slytherins.

Freddy Weasley stopped the team and pointed to an open area about a third of the way down the house table to hold an impromptu meeting. He asked the team to gather around him so they could hear his instructions.

Rose, who was walking a step behind, noticed that Abby Baird turned her head toward the Slytherin table and quickly looked away. Abby shook her head and said to no one in particular, –Oh, now you want to be friends.”

Rose looked to the Slytherin table and saw a vaguely familiar young girl surrounded by other first-years ending a small wave towards the group. –Who’s that?” asked Rose.

"Kelly Howe, she was in our compartment on the train. Remember, when we went to practice? I waved at her, but she ignored me. Now, she wants to be my friend,” Abby indignantly replied.

Rose stopped. What Abby had just said didn’t make any sense. Why would a Slytherin ignore someone when they were alone, but risk being ridiculed by her classmates to wave to a Gryffindor? As Abby was about to sit next to her brother at the Gryffindor table, Rose reached over to tap her on the shoulder. She also grabbed Scorpius, who as always, was standing nearby.

–What?” they both asked Rose.

–I have a hunch. Follow me.”

Rose took Abby by the hand and walked around the end of the Gryffindor table towards the Slytherins. The movement of the Gryffindors had not gone unobserved. Out of the corner of her eye, Rose saw that Grenda Zabini, Vestara Vesper, and a couple other female students were shadowing her movement.

The girl sitting to the left of Howe chimed in before anyone could speak. –Hi, Crissybell. Or is it Abbybell?”

–No, you mean, its Prissybell Baird,” the girl on Howe’s right added. Rose heard a low growl coming from Abby.

Rose ignored the first-year’s attempts at humour.

Is that how the Sorting Hat does it? The people with the lamest sense of humour are automatically Sorted into Slytherin?

She stopped in front of the Howe girl. The little girl began to try and sink under the table. Rose saw her anguish, but she had to get one answer. –Kelly, when did you first come down for breakfast?”

–Don’t answer her! Just because your old man’s an Auror, Weasley, doesn’t mean you can hassle whomever you like,” snapped Vestara.

–Yeah, go and take your turncoat boyfriend with you,” Zabini added with a superior smile on her face.

–Shut up! Rose has a reason for her question. She wouldn’t pick on this girl for no real reason,” defended Scorpius. He actually had no idea what Rose was doing. He didn’t mind the turncoat boyfriend comment, but he wished he knew of a way to wipe the smirks of Vestara and Grenda’s faces.

Kelly had almost slid out of sight under the table by now. She nervously looked up to the older girls. –I just--– she started.

–I told you not to say anything,” Vestara told Kelly who began to visibly shake.

Scorpius felt someone move in next to him. Jimber and Albus had walked over, showing their support. However, the addition of two more Gryffindors to the group walking over to the table caused was for more Slytherins to come over into the conversation. Mars Pyter and Anthony Tarleton, the Quidditch Captain, were among the half dozen or so who joined the girls opposite of the Gryffindors.

–Get back to your own area, Gryffindors. We don’t need you polluting our table,” Tarleton asserted.

Rose took a deep breath and raised her hands with the palms out just as Broomwright had done on the path to the Quidditch pitch. –If she answers the question now, we leave. If you keep her from talking to us, then you’ll just have to talk to the Aurors.”

Scorpius flinched. While he knew that Rose meant to say that talking to her was the lesser of two evils, he knew that his grandparents and maybe his own father would have taken her comment as a threat or as lording her father’s position with the ministry over them. He had to rescue Rose.

–Rose, you don’t mean that. What she was trying to say, is that we have only one question. If she answers, we leave. However, if the blue robes get involved, we’ll all have to waste our first Saturday waiting in queues to be asked endless number of useless questions. And after that, the Headmaster will want to talk to us. And next, our Heads of House will get involved and lecture us. Look up at the ceiling; it’s a warm and sunny day. Who wants to be stuck in here doing that?”

Rose had bristled at the first half of his comment, but her look softened as he finished. The comment also seemed to make sense to many of the Slytherins, except for Pyter who looked like he just wanted to hit someone.

Tarleton called a huddle with Zabini and Vesper. When the three emerged, they formed a wall behind Howe. Tarleton spoke.

–Kelly, you can answer the high-and-mighty Miss Weasley’s one question. Say nothing more, understand, girl?”

Kelly Howe nodded. Scorpius wondered if the girl was about to faint. All of the blood seemed to have drained from her little head. She wet her lips and looked at up at her older housemates. –I just came down with Olivia and Blanche. We’ve been here ten or fifteen minutes at most.”

Rose smiled, –Thanks, Kelly. I’m sorry about all of this.” And with the answer to her question, Rose started to turn on her heel.

Tarleton reached across the table to restrain her. From the look on his face, Scorpius thought that he had some questions of his own he wanted answered. Scorpius and Albus reached out in a vain attempt to block his grab.

"Hey, leave my cousin alone,” shouted fourth-year Lucy Weasley from just inside the door. The actions around the Slytherin table had also drawn the attention of the entire Gryffindor Quidditch team, which was now on the move toward the Slytherin table.

Tarleton did not let go of Rose until Freddy showed up. Tarleton locked eyes with his opposite number and gave him his best condescending look just to see Freddy’s reaction to the provocation.

Freddy sensed a trap, but also knew he could not back down, –So, what’s all of this about, Rose?”

"When we arrived for breakfast, there was a young Slytherin girl eating all alone at the end of the table.” Rose, pulled her hand free from Tarleton, pointed directly at Kelly. –The person eating alone looked like her, but she said she had just come down. So-” Rose let her teammates connect the dots.

–The centaurs saw a human, and the forest is being searched. So you think the intruder was hiding here inside the school?” Freddy Weasley finished.

–Why hide in the Great Hall? She might run into herself,” said Scorpius.

Jimber chimed in. –She was probably hungry. Maybe whatever she’s doing in the forest is taking longer than she expected and she’s running low on food.–

–What are you on about?” demanded Vestara.

Scorpius began to explain to everyone in the group what they had learned from Hagrid. He decided to tell the story. Rose didn’t have the experience with talking to Slytherins and he didn’t have any parents working in Ministry. When he finished, he turned to see if Rose wanted to add anything. She was not there.

–She mentioned something about telling her father before the intruder could escape,” informed Albus.

With the explanation, the group began to disperse. Scorpius sighed. Rose had missed his explanation and insights. He thought she might have been impressed.

Freddy Weasley ordered the team up to the common Room where they could talk about rescheduling the try-outs. He was satisfied with the little scene his cousin had accidently orchestrated. He had taken leadership and protected his charge. Kitty-Kat had been one of the last ones to come over and join in. She had also kept her silence when she got there. Freddy thought that that it might have helped his standing with the team. He had just won his first victory over Kitty-Kat with the help of her right hand kitten.


Leaky Cauldron

At lunch, Astoria walked out of her potion shop and turned towards the Leaky Cauldron. She walked through the brick entryway and through the door into the Public room of the Cauldron. Walking up to the bar, she asked, –Is Hannah working today?”

The grey haired barkeeper looked at her and replied, –She’s in the Bistro. She’s probably driving the poor cook crazy with her observations.”

Astoria thanked the man and walked toward the doorway that leads to Hannah’s Bistro at the Cauldron. As she entered, her eyes, as always, were drawn to the wall on the right side of the restaurant. A spell, like the one on the ceiling of the Great Hall in Hogwarts, made the wall disappear behind a current image of the shops and shoppers in Diagon Alley as seen from near the brick entryway. The illusion gave the place the feel that you were actually eating in a sidewalk café not a dingy inn. She realized for the first time that someone here could see the doorway to the potion shop. Astoria filed the fact for future use. If they were to help Goyle, they could not use the front door while the restaurant was open. If they did, they could be seen. Being seen could be bad or good depending, on who saw them together and what that person had been told so that the correct interpretation could be made.

A brown-smocked waiter with a name plate that said Brandon came up to seat her. Astoria demurred. –I’d like a cup of tea and I need to talk to Hannah. I’ve only got a few minutes before my husband… I mean before I have to get back to work.”

Astoria hoped the waiter would pass the ‘slip of the tongue’ to his boss.


Hannah walked into the Bistro from the kitchen. She was very frustrated with the replacement chef, who was not rounding off her dishes like they should be. While the food was still tasty and served in a reasonable time, the new chef did not add the little touches, like the Kiwi fruit sculptures that her restaurant was known for. In just a couple more months, Alice would be weaned and she could return full-time to her kitchen. If the chef needed a job, she could run the bloody inn.

She looked at the table by the wall to find Astoria Malfoy watching her potion shop through the illusion. Astoria’s face was pinched and she was stirring her tea a bit more forcefully than people usually do. Something was wrong with her, but Hannah was not a usual confidant of the Malfoys. If anyone had been in Astoria’s confidence it would have been Rebekka Dokes, the wife of the Cauldron’s former handyman, but they had returned to the Island. Perhaps Astoria had no one else she trusted.

Hannah made the rounds with her customers. While sharing small talk with one set of the diners, she noticed a slightly undercooked salmon and some overcooked asparagus spears. She signaled Brandon and whispered her permission to discount the meals if they complained.

Finally, she reached Astoria. –How’s you tea?” she asked. Hannah sat down opposite of Astoria and waited for her to open up.

Astoria looked up at Hannah and quickly back down to her cup. Looking back up at Hannah and she took a deep breath, biting her lip. –On Friday morning before we were ready to open, he was there waiting for us. Do you remember Gregory Goyle?”

Hannah nodded. On the night of the Yule Ball, Crabbe and Goyle had trapped her in a corner and threatened to grope her. It was only thanks to that Durmstrang boy’s intervention… She stopped the reminiscence and replied, –Unfortunately, I do.”

Astoria looked her in the eyes and continued. –Goyle threatened Draco. Actually, he threatened to hurt me and Scorpius. He wants Draco to brew illegal potions and poisons for him. Goyle has this crazy plan to become the King of the Thieves.”

Hannah had a weird image of Goyle with a crown and scepter seated on a throne resting on top of a pile of stolen goods.

Astoria looked at the wall toward the image of the shop and dropped her gaze, –Draco doesn’t know what to do. I think if it was just the two of us, he’d confront Goyle or go to Harry Potter. He can’t though. You should have heard what his father called him last year for helping the Aurors defeat the Malaites.”

–Must be tough having Lucius Malfoy as a father-in-law,” Hannah offered, sizing up what she was being told.

–

Forget that, Goyle knew things about the Quince case that weren’t in the paper. He knew the parents were on the bed and about the hair clipped off of the older girl, Margaret. Draco wonders if he or one of his cronies was actually the kidnapper.” Astoria stood up looking at the wall.

–What’s wrong,” Hannah asked, reaching out to touch the other woman’s hand.

Astoria pointed to the illusion on the wall. In a small space between two businesses, two men were talking in the shadows. The larger one could have been Goyle. –I’ve got to get back. I’m being followed. And if they have Polyjuice, anyone in the Alley could be a spy.”

–Please, warn your husband. The intruder may be one of Goyle’s cronies waiting to get to my son. If you do that, I’ll do anything you want. Free potions, gold, you name it. Help keep Scorpius and his friends safe.” And with that, Astoria pulled her hand free, reached into her cloak and dropped a couple of silver coins on the table. She walked away from her untouched cup of tea. Hannah watched the wall and saw how the men between the two buildings let Astoria pass and then they followed her about a half dozen paces behind until she entered her shop. One of the men walked on up the way and the second man disappeared into the shadows across from the potion shop.

Chapter 7 - Layers of Intrigue by Hotrav

Harry Potter looked across the Longbottoms’ large oak dining table as Hannah was trying her explain what Astoria Malfoy had confided to her during lunch. He watched Hannah’s face as she talked to both her husband Neville on her left and to him and Ron across the table. Harry watched, Ron took scanty notes on a scroll with a Muggle pen.

–She was so afraid of Goyle. He claimed he could reach Scorpius at school. She was also afraid about what Draco might be forced to do to protect his family.” Hannah was compulsively twisting a napkin in her hands as if the cloth represented the anguish she had seen in Malfoy’s face.

Neville reached over to cover Hannah’s hands with one of his own. He gave her a comforting smile and turned toward his two friends. –Mundungus Fletcher, is he really dead?”

Ron looked over at Harry and replied, –We’ve checked with our normal sources and no one has seen Dung for a week or two. We know he was under the weather the last time anyone saw him. Also, he hasn’t been seen at the Hog’s Head for almost a month. He used to hold ‘court’ there in the back room.”

Harry looked over at Hannah; he knew she was not one to embellish what she had been told. However, Astoria might be a different story. He had got to know the Malfoys. The boy, Scorpius, was a basically a good kid. He was a smart, loyal friend to both his son and niece. Draco and Astoria had been friendly, but had always seemed to be on guard to him. He and Ginny had talked about the how Draco seemed to be forcing his attempts at friendship and how Astoria seemed to be more ‘real’ in her relationships. And also, there was the little war of words between Ron and Draco which had annoyed both Hermione and himself.

Harry could not see Astoria being afraid of Draco. She knew him and had stuck by him in the bad days. He could see her lying to protect her family or if Draco had convinced her of the need to do so. However, what if it was true? Or mostly true. He had to know for certain about Dung and Goyle before he acted on this lead. If what Astoria said was absolutely true, a wizard criminal turf war could be breaking out all over England. Also, Dung had reined in many of the hotheads getting them into non-violent activities. And the young hoods he couldn’t tone down, he would set up to be caught in the act. Without Dung’s steadying hand on the tiller, the peace that had been on both magical and Muggle streets could be shattered: not by violence based on blood, like the Death Eaters, but by violence based on opportunity and greed.

Ron leaned forward towards the Longbottoms and said, –I don’t think this intruder is after Scorpius or the other kids. It seems that the intruder was mere meters away from the whole lot and let them be. I think that if Goyle really made the threat, he’s using the possibility of the intruder to bully the Malfoys for his own ends. Or Malfoy is having his wife lie for some unknown reason. And if it’s Slytherin vs. Slytherin, the truth may be impossible to find through all of the layers of intrigue.”

Harry withheld his smile. Count on Ron to say what exactly what he was thinking.

Hannah disagreed, –You didn’t see how scared she looked. How disgusted she looked when she mentioned Goyle’s name.”

–Ron could be right, dear,” said Neville as he squeezed her hands.

–I don’t think she would lie to me,” Hannah replied.

–Hannah, it could be that what she told you wasn’t a lie. She might have been told a tale by Draco,” explained Harry. –And I also think that most mothers, Slytherin or not, would have no issue in stretching the truth in order to protect their child.”

Hannah peeked into the wicker basket which held a cooing Alice, who seemed fascinated by her recent discovery of her feet. Hannah’s lower lip disappeared under the top teeth as she nodded her head, –Lying would be the least that I’d do. I still think she must truly feel that fear to have been so convincing.”


Hogwarts

Freddy Weasley had been able to reschedule the tryouts to after lunch on Sunday. The flags at the top of the stands were changing from hanging limply to standing straight out, due to an intermittent crosswind. The team stepped out of the changing room and entered the half filled stands. The Gryffindor tryouts were on such a nice day and it would be the first chance for the students leisurely chat with friends, scream or laugh, and see or be seen by the rest of the school. And in between conversations, they would observe the tryouts.

Fred looked over all of those trying out for the team. Standing under the hoops in front of the sand pits were three students: sixth-year Andrew Irvine, third-year Mary Reilly and Fred’s cousin, Rose.

Standing behind him were the Beaters - Eric Woolingsbee, Jimber Dokes, a fourth-year named Paul Haney, and a sixth-year called Stephen Lewis

The crowd standing in the middle of the pitch was the made up of possible Chasers: Tony Thistlecrowne, Albus Potter, Scorpius Malfoy, Hillary Russell a brunette fifth-year, Aaron Allensby a third-year, and seventh-year Edwin Hills. Fred looked at the crew again and realized that somebody was missing from the group of Chasers. That someone was Kitty-Kat Jones.

Fred turned to his left to discover James Potter and Kaitlin Jones doing what they were almost always doing: arguing. Fred shook his head and yelled over to the bickering duo. –Kitty-Kat, Chasers are over there.”

James turned to his cousin. –She’s not trying out for Chaser. She says she is trying out for Seeker!”

–What!?” asked Fred.

–You heard him. I’m the best Seeker on the team,” replied Kaitlin in a very business-like tone of voice.

–Listen, Kaitlin, you and James are the best natural fliers in the whole school. We need both of you in the sky at the same time,” begged Fred.

–Sure, Panda Boy, go down there and play Chaser. You might be able to beat Thistlecrowne to join Malfoy and your brother.” Kaitlin gave the two cousins a lop-sided smile.

–Listen, I don’t care who’s Chaser or Seeker. You decide. However, you can only make the team as the one position you sign up for,” asserted Fred Weasley.

–Really, what position are you trying for?” prompted Jones.

Fred was becoming very annoyed with the girl and she was enjoying all of this too much. –What?” he asked.

He looked at the groups of players. If he played Chaser again, it meant he would be without Malfoy and either James or Kaitlin. And if James and Kaitlin came to their senses he would be without Albus. He needed their offense. He realized the only answer was, –Beater. I’m trying out for Beater.” Fred’s answer sounded very hollow to all three people who were close enough to hear him say it.

Fred decided to run the tryouts for Chaser and Keeper at the same time. Fred watched Rose get to every shot at her hoops. Unfortunately, she didn’t stop every shot, as a couple of the balls trickled through the hoops after glancing off of her fingers. Rose also blocked more shots than she caught. If a shot is deflected, someone has to get to the Quaffle. It could be a Gryffindor or it could be the other team which gave them a second chance to score. Also if a Keeper caught the shot, it could lead to a quick pass to the Chasers and an easy scoring opportunity.

Mary Reilly didn’t get to all of the shots like Rose did. However the shots she stopped were almost always captured by her and she had a strong arm to make a long release pass. Rose was announced as the team Keeper with Reilly as the first reserve.

Among the Chasers, Scorpius Malfoy and Albus Potter were superb. Fred had split Scorpius and Rose. He was worried about how their feelings might affect their performance. Fred had promised Thistlecrowne the position, but it was a close thing with Hillary Russell. She was very lithe on her broom. She didn’t look like she was flying hard, but she seemed to always be in the right place at the right time. However, she didn’t have the arm strength for her shots that Thistlecrowne did. Fred swallowed hard and announced Tony, Albus and Scorpius. He went over to Hillary and talked to her. He told her it was a near thing and he hoped she would be the team’s top reserve. Hillary smiled and moved her Gwenog-Jones-style platted hair to the side. For a second, Freddy lost his train of thought.

Fred next combined the Beaters and the Seekers. The Seekers would be chasing a Snitch, while trying to avoid all of the Beaters trying to hit them with Bludgers. Fred announced a best of five captures for the position. James almost had the first Snitch until Woolingsbee practically unseated him from his broom and Kaitlin claimed the prize.

Fred was able to pelt Kitty-Kat with two perfectly timed shots to allow James to win on his second attempt. The next two captures were a combination of hand-to-hand combat and aerial ballet James caught number three and Kitty-Kat grabbed number four.

The fifth catch took almost an hour. Kaitlin almost got a quick capture, but Jimber caused her to dodge a shot and fumble the catch. James had to sloth grip roll his way past Haney’s best shot of the night. Finally, Kaitlin took one of Eric’s blasts to the ribs, but still grabbed the Golden Snitch.

The Gryffindor team would be Rose Weasley, Albus Potter, Scorpius Malfoy, Tony Thistlecrowne, Eric Woolingsbee, Kaitlin Jones and the Captain, Fred Weasley. Fred looked at his team; it contained Kitty-Kat and three of her kittens. He wasn’t certain who he was maddest at: Kaitlin or James for putting their little feud above the team. Since blood was thicker than water, he decided to blame Jones for the mess.

James, who had helped Freddy with the casket of practice balls before the practice, disappeared after Kaitlin’s last capture. Mumbling about always being left alone to do the dirty work, he began to lock down the first Bludger when a pair of hands offered him the second Bludger. Fred looked up to see that the hands belonged to Hillary Russell.

–Thanks,” said Fred Weasley.

–No problem, you looked like you needed some help,” she replied, with a smile that lit up her suntanned face.

Fred found the smile contagious and returned it to her. It took the two of them almost all of the remaining sunlight to finish filling the remaining balls into the container.


London

The bell tinkled, drawing Draco’s head up from filling the order from the Weasley joke shop; he placed the small tweezers back into the bottle of explosive powder and placed the stopper in it. Before him stood a non-descript man in his thirties, green robe, long brown hair pulled back into a pony-tail. He looked to the sides of the room and asked, –We alone?”

Draco took a deep breath so Astoria would hear the trigger phrase, –It’s just me and the little missus in the back.” The phrase was so un-Malfoy-like that it almost stuck to the roof of his mouth. The absurdity of it had been the reason that Lucius had chosen it.

–Draco, I’m going to be busy with this Scamander potion for the next half hour. If you need something let me know?” Astoria called giving the expected answer.

–I’ve got a request from a mutual friend,” the customer replied as he looked through the little window between the store front and the work room. The man smiled as he heard the familiar sound of a cauldron being stirred. He pulled his wand out of a wrist holster and pointed it over his shoulder, flicking it to lock the front door.

–That’s not necessary,” said Draco.

–I say what’s necessary while I’m here. Understand?” the customer’s voice seemed to enjoy the implied threat. Draco hid his disdain for the amateur’s attempt to scare him.

Draco reached over to the counter top to pick up a pad to record the order. Before he could grasp the forms, the customer had summoned it over to his non-wand hand. –No records of this order or any future order from our friend.”

–Well, I hope it’s a small order. My memory isn’t as good as it used to be,” Draco offered. The more pathetic the interloper thought Draco was the sloppier he would be.

–You are to brew a flagon of Polyjuice, a double batch of Veritaserum, a single batch of the Draught of Living Death, and a triple batch of Achlys Breath.”

Draco was confused. He had never heard of Achlys Breath. –Sorry, I’m unfamiliar with the last item to be brewed.”

–You’re a smart boy; you’ll figure it out. Just don’t breathe it in or it’ll be the last breath you take,” the smug face grew even smugger, if that was possible.

Draco felt embolden by the expression. –How can I tell how much you will owe, if I don’t know the ingredients of this Achlys poison? Also, I will need a name so my wife will know who will be picking up the order.”

–Nice try, the boss warned me about you, Malfoy,” chuckled the stranger. –He’ll send someone over with the payment and to pick up the order on Monday morning.”

Draco did not have to fake his concern. –We can’t finish brewing Polyjuice by Monday. Our ‘friend’ knows that,” Draco shot back.

–Well you’ll have to explain that to the next bloke who comes a calling.” And with that, he flicked his wand over his shoulder and the door unlocked. He walked out of the door of the potion shop and into the shadow of the building across the street. Draco could see him sizing up the other shoppers in the Alley. After about three minutes, he turned and walked up the street towards Knockturn Alley.

About twenty seconds behind the man, Draco noticed a young man with spiky hair also heading towards Knockturn Alley. So the messenger had a back-up too. He just hoped his father was as cunning as he thought he was.

Chapter 8 - Drawing Lines by Hotrav

Draco sat in Grimmauld Place’s formal dining room, looking past the candelabrum in the center of table, taking in his father. From behind his tea cup, he examined his father in a new light. Lucius Malfoy sat resplendent, like the days of old, in his ermine stole and his mink lined cloak. He noticed that his father looked years younger than the last time they’d met at the manor. One of the things he noticed was that his father’s hair looked less white than it had before; was his father colouring his hair?

Lucius extended his teacup into thin air and without missing a beat, Krocker, the house-elf, re-filled it. Without acknowledging the service rendered to him, the senior Malfoy turned back toward his son and sat the cup back on its saucer. Krocker turned towards his master with the teapot at the ready. Draco nodded his head; his cup did not need refilling.

–I was five the first time I was in this place. My mother was here to visit her distant cousin to celebrate the birth of Sirius Black. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have stifled the brat in his cradle.” From a wry smile glimpsed for a second, Draco could see his father imaging and taking pleasure from the rewriting of history.

–Yes, but now I’m the master of this house,” replied Draco. He turned towards Krocker and said, –We will not need any more of you or your uncle Kreacher’s service for the next hour. Please see that no one, including your mistress, disturbs us and that no one, including yourselves, overhear us.”

The young elf placed the teapot on the ornate silver tray next to the plate of mixed biscuits. He bowed to Lucius and bowed deeply to Draco and disappeared.

Draco waited a second before beginning; the delay made him feel more in control. He knew that the feeling was an illusion, but it was he who had first put this scheme into motion, not his father. It was he who was in charge of pulling it off, so he would make his father wait just to remind him of the change in position.

–Astoria played her part quite well with Hannah Longbottom. According to the bar man, Longbottom called Potter and Weasley to a meeting just like you predicted.” Draco smiled over at his father.

–Yes, your wife did fulfill her part in the plan without messing it up,” drawled the old man. ”I may have underestimated her capacity, or maybe she’s just a good liar.”

–Why can’t you ever accept Astoria as an equal? She is a devoted and loving wife. She’s the mother of your only grandchild,” fired Draco back at his father. He had to fight the urge to stand up and physically intimidate the old man.

–She is not our equal. Her grandfather, Ulysses, was a Mudblood. I just hope that piece of trivia is not well known. It could haunt Scorpius’ future.”

–You lost the war, father! Blood status doesn’t mean anything in this new millennium.” Draco spoke more forcibly than he ever had even back at the famous fight about the marmalade.

The older man’s demeanor turned from languid to razor-edged in a heartbeat. –We lost the round, not because our cause was wrong. We lost because the Dark Lord became fixated on Potter and the prophecy. If he’d ignored the whelp, we would have prevailed.”

Draco sat back and listened to his father weaving his web. The old man planned for combinations of all possibilities - both the probable to the never-in-a-million-years combinations. He was amazed at the amount of pleasure his father derived from the act of scheming.

–Potter won’t kill Weasley! That will never happen. They’re friends and family,” Draco responded, a good half-hour into the plotting.

–I agree that I can’t see that it will ever happen. It will never happen, just like Snape will never become a spy for the blood-traitor Dumbledore.” The venom in the way he spoke Snape’s name was twice as strong as when he mentioned Dumbledore.

After another ten minutes, Lucius ran out of sides to play against each other. He sipped his cup and pulled a face. –My tea is cold.”

Draco looked at his father, pulled out his wand and silently fired a spell to heat the teapot. Lucius looked at the pot and back toward his cup. Draco reached over and filled his own cup with the warmed liquid and sat the pot down. Lucius raised his eyebrow and placed his cup containing cold tea back on its saucer.

Draco, fatigued by all of the scheming, decided to deliver to his father the latest news about his son. –Just before you arrived, we received an owl from Scorpius. He made the house Quidditch team as a Chaser,” smiled Draco. He hoped the pride he felt in his son was evident in his face.

Lucius’s face became flushed. –Why didn’t you tell me that before? This is bad. We must do something about that. It could derail some of the more promising scenarios that we have planned for.”

–How can your grandson making the team and Harry Potter’s eldest child not making the team be bad news?” Draco saw the all too familiar look of disapproval at the question.

The elder Malfoy shook his head slowly, a movement designed to add to the insult that Draco knew was about to follow. –It’s obvious. Even Goyle could see how? Are you really this dense or is this an act?”

Silently cursing his father’s talent of phrasing his ridicule to prevent the insulted from properly responding, Draco asked, –What are you scheming Father? What are you planning for my son?”

–Only what’s best for him. You’ll both thank me later,” Lucius said.

The more his father talked about what must be done about Scorpius, the more Draco felt sick. He questioned the need for this, but his father insisted it was necessary. He had no choice. They had gone too far down the trail to turn back now.

A knock came from outside the door. Draco called out to the room, –Yes?”

The swinging door opened and Kreacher’s bowed head appeared in the gap, –Forgive the interruption, Master. The hour of privacy you requested is up and Kreacher was wondering if his Master required more time with his illustrious Father? And if so, will our honoured guest be staying for supper?”

–We are done. And my father will not be staying,” answered Draco.

Lucius gave his son a wry smile and lazily held his teacup out. The ancient elf filled it. The smile was designed to remind Draco who was the puppet and who was the puppet master. Draco had to stop himself from telling his father what he thought and where he could go.


Headmaster’s Office at Hogwarts

Draco stood looking out of the window in Headmaster Flitwick’s office toward the sun setting behind the mountains beyond Hogsmeade. He inhaled once and walked to the chair that had been offered him. Flitwick sat on a platform that kept him at desk top level. Sitting to Draco’s right were Neville Longbottom and Ronald Weasley. Draco was glad that Potter had not shown up to the impromptu meeting. The dolt Weasley would be easier to manipulate than his boss would have been. He was also pleased that the school had reacted to his owl prior to Monday’s class. The quicker the axe fell, the less the pain might be inflicted.

Draco cleared his throat. –When I read the message from Scorpius earlier today, I was struck with very mixed emotions. The first was pride that my son was deemed to have the talent to make his team. I also felt some relief that those in the school were judging him as his own person and not the offspring of me or my father. However, almost immediately I was struck with another. deeper emotion.”

Draco looked over at Weasley. He was doing his best to look like he needed the man’s permission. –Mr. Weasley, I’m on uncertain ground here.”

Ron’s eyes narrowed.

–Well, a person representing himself as being an associate of your intruder has threatened both my wife at home and my son at Hogwarts. I know that the Ministry is doing an investigation into the matter of the intruder. I’ve not said anything because the person making the threat said he had people in the Auror office.”

Draco saw Flitwick turn towards Weasley, –Auror Weasley, were you apprised of this threat to one of my students?”

Weasley shifted his body to the side and finally leaned toward the headmaster with this arms resting on his knees. –We were made aware of the threat through a third party. We are investigating to see if the report is credible.”

–And you did not see fit to notify me of this threat?” asked Flitwick.

Both Longbottom and Weasley twitched at the implied reprimand. Neville spoke up, –I was first told of this after school on Friday. I was going to tell you first thing Monday morning.”

–I see,” replied Flitwick.

–Who told you of this?” Draco asked, giving his best look of disbelief to Longbottom.

Neville looked over at Ron, who fidgeted and spoke. –We have an anonymous source.”

–I must know. If someone is spying on my family, I must take all precautions to prevent this from happening in the future.”

–I can’t divulge my source. However, I can guarantee you that the source is no threat to you or your family,” Ron assured Draco.

Draco made a point of looking everywhere except Weasley. –Let them think I’m angry or unsure of what to do,” he thought.

–Weasley, we will come back to this informant later. However, the reason I asked for this meeting is that I am concerned about my son’s safety. According to Scorpius’ letter, you have found evidence of the intruder in the school and the forest.”

Flitwick nodded.

–And yet, you let our children hold tryouts just a few hundred yards from the forest?” asked Malfoy.

–We found no intruder,” Ron responded to the charge.

Draco flashed a look of derision at Weasley. He held the Auror’s eyes for a second and then delivered a well practiced sigh. –I don’t want to repeat myself. Headmaster, did you send for Scorpius and the Weasley boy?”

Flitwick nodded. The headmaster placed his wand to his throat and mumbled something too quiet for the others in the room to hear.

After a minute, Scorpius and Fred Weasley opened the door. Scorpius’ face lit up when he saw his father. Draco did his best to look his son in the eyes. He wanted to remember the pain all of this would cost his son. He had to know the cost that would need to be repaid by those responsible.

Draco pulled a form out from his cloak and turned toward Flitwick. –I cannot sign this form to have my son practice and play Quidditch right next to the suspected location of a known intruder. I cannot sign when threats have been made against his life. However, the moment they capture this person I will gladly sign it.”

Scorpius’ smiled dissolved in front of him. Draco noticed that a look of hurt and betrayal began to grow on his face, but the boy remained silent. He let the anger he felt at his son’s pain give him the extra emotion the next part of the plan called for.

Draco placed the paper on the Headmaster’s desk and turned toward the younger Weasley. –Fred, I believe, is that correct?”

The young man nodded.

–I’d like to thank you for choosing my son and judging him on own his merit. Your mother is Angelina Johnson, isn’t she?”

Fred Weasley nodded again.

–Well if you’re half as good as your parents, I’m glad I don’t have to face you on the pitch.” Draco offered his hand to the younger man.

Fred shook the extended hand. –Scorp is a great Chaser. I’d hate to not have him against Slytherin in a month’s time.”

Draco still ignoring the hurt on his son face, released the young man’s hand. Quickly, he turned to face the elder Weasley. –Last year thanks to the Auror office’s incompetence, my family had to spend our entire Christmas holiday in hiding. I will not spend another holiday in fear. I give you and Harry Potter until All-Hallows Eve to remedy these issues or I will begin to take things into my own hands. And if it is not fixed by Christmas, I might take Jimber and my family to the Island. They might need a good potion shop there.” And Draco turned to leave.

Ron spoke up. –What do you mean that you will take things into your own hands?”

–I will find those who’ve threatened my family. I will capture them and when I’m done with them, I’ll let you know where you can pick up what remains.”

–Father!” Scorpius’ shock at his father’s venom caused his voice to rise an octave higher than normal.

Draco turned and, reaching his right hand up behind his son’s neck, stepped forward and pulled his son close. –You and your mother mean more to me than my life. I will not let others hurt either of you. I will protect you even if it means I must do things-–

–Don’t. Let Rose and Albus’ fathers handle it,” answered Scorpius as he began to pull back from his father.

Draco stepped back and placed his right palm lightly against his son’s cheek. –If you’re ever lucky enough to have a wife and a son like I have, you will learn that sometimes you must look out for yourself. Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley have to obey Ministry rules and regulations. I don’t.”

–Father, don’t do it. If you do things on your own, you might get hurt or something. We can’t lose you,” Scorpius said as he hugged his father. Draco didn’t have to fake the tears that came to his eyes. He hugged his son for a minute and then pulled back. He adjusted his waistcoat and tie. He looked back at his son.

–Scorpius, I’m giving the Aurors over a month to do their jobs,” Draco said as he turned toward Ronald Weasley, who was sitting wide-eyed, his mouth agape. –However, on Halloween, I and probably my father will be on streets, securing the safety of our family. And we will use every spell that we know until we are certain of their safety.” With his threats still echoing around the room, Draco turned on his heel and left the Headmaster’s office.


When the portrait hole closed, the Quidditch team was waiting in the common room. Scorpius was in shock. He didn’t know what to make of it all. He was temporarily off of the team, his father was threatening to join his evil grandfather in breaking the law, and he might have to leave Hogwarts to go and live on the Island.

Rose and Jimber walked past the Freddy Weasley as he called the team around him to convey the news. –What’s wrong? Have you’ve been crying?” Rose asked Scorpius.

Scorpius jerked his head and wiped the corners of his eyes. –No, I haven’t!”

–Whoa, Scorp what’s happened?” Jimber started as Freddy began to speak.

–I’ll let Scorpius answer your questions later. However, his father has refused to sign his permission slip to allow him to participate with the team until the intruder is caught. So, I will have to make some temporary changes to the team. James, will you play Chaser?”

–No, I’m the Seeker or nothing,” he answered. Fred next looked at Kaitlin; she gave him a don’t-you-dare-ask-me glare.

Fred had two choices: take Malfoy’s place at Chaser and have Dokes play Beater or promote the reserve Chaser. However, what if Dokes father followed Malfoy’s dad’s lead and refused to sign the permission slip too. He could lose time with another shake-up. Fred looked over at Hillary Russell and said, –Hillary, you’re the third Chaser.

Fred’s announcing of his replacement pulled Scorpius’ head up from the floor to see Hillary’s face light up with joy. He stared numbly as she drew congratulations from Kaitlin and Thistlecrowne. He couldn’t stand to look at the happy group.

As he turned back to Jimber and Rose, he saw Rose give him such a look of pity that it seemed to hit him like another blow. It gave him the impression that she was expecting him to crumble away to dust or something. He’d show them all. There is more to Scorpius Malfoy than what happens on a broom. And without saying anything to Rose or Jimber, he walked to the stairs and up to his four-post bed in the dormitory where he could figure out what had happened and what he could do.


Godric’s Hollow

Ron took a deep breath and knocked on his brother-in-law’s door. Through it, he heard the voice of sister, complaining about the sort of idiot who would be visiting them at this hour, and then she opened the door.

–Sorry, Sis. Is Harry still awake? I’ve just came from Hogwarts and we may have a problem with the Malfoys.”

Ginny Weasley sighed. –You’ve always had a problem with Draco. Why can’t this wait until office hours?”

–It can’t. Draco gave us a deadline of All-Hallows’ Eve or else he’s taking the law into his own hands. He even mentioned using his father.” Ginny shook her head at her brother as she let him pass into the entry-area.

–Uncle Ron,” yelled Lily as she ran across the room, dressed in her pajamas. –She hugged him. How’s Hugo? Did you bring any presents?”

Ron pulled away from his niece. He thought his neck might have been bruised by the girl’s enthusiasm. –Hugo’s got a fever; Hermione’s worried that it might be dragon pox or something. I’m your only present.” Lily looked greatly disappointed.

Harry walked into the room with a small tankard in hand. He put the cup down and shooed his daughter toward her bedroom.

As Ron walked into the living room with Harry, he began to say, –We have a problem.” And as the two became settled in their chairs, he began to explain all that Malfoy had said and the hurt that it caused both the father and son.

Harry sighed and sipped the ale. –That’s not Draco speaking, that’s Lucius.” He stood up and looked out of the window across into the town square. –Draco must really be scared to put himself in debt to his father. Oh, Draco, why couldn’t you’ve come to us?”

–I think that cinches the question about Goyle really threatening the Malfoys,” replied Ron.

–Any word from our inside source?” asked Harry.

–He’s supposed to give his next report tomorrow during lunch,” Ron answered. Harry nodded feeling his old Quidditch nerves kicking in. His office was in a race that had already begun and he couldn’t start running it until half of tomorrow was through.

–Okay, the moment you get your hands on the report bring it to me,” Harry ordered. Looking at Ron, he asked, –Do you think we should take Draco aside and try to reason with him?”

Ron shook his head. –No, he wasn’t talking to Flitwick and me. He was reciting a message to be delivered to you. I think he feels like he’s walking a tightrope and if we distract him he might lose his nerve and his balance.”

Ron scratched at his cheek with his right hand and said, –What about the wife? He made his first contact through his wife. What if Ginny or Hermione meet Astoria for lunch?”

Harry considered the idea. It was a good one, but not perfect. He looked around the room trying to perfect the idea. –No, our wives would be too obvious for spying eyes. However, if Hannah needed a potion for Alice and Astoria were to deliver it?” Harry smiled. He hoped that the subterfuge would be enough. When dealing with Slytherins, he had always felt like he was always in danger of being out-schemed. He needed to recruit some more members of that house into the Auror office for future cases like this one.

Chapter 9 - Strangers at the Door by Hotrav

Since it was the first lesson on Monday the day after Draco’s visit, Neville watched closely as the Gryffindors came into Greenhouse Number Two. Harry Baird and Margaret Quince arrived first into his class. After Vestara Vesper and her group of twittering Slytherin girls came in, Rose, Kaitlin, Jimber and Albus walked in. Just a few moments before the bell sounded, Mars Pyter and Geoffrey Grindus ambled into the Greenhouse. Scorpius Malfoy arrived last, all by himself.

Neville sized up the boy. Scorpius’ normally perfect hair was askew and the always-tucked-in shirt was half in and half out of his trousers. Neville immediately moved his gaze from the boy. He would have to take him aside for a little chat later.

Neville, holding his earmuffs in his right hand, smiled at the class. As he took in their response to his usual Monday greeting, he saw Rose directing concerned glances toward Scorpius, who was not at the table by her side as usual, but was standing alone by a table in the corner.

–I hope you remembered to study for the test that I promised you,” Neville said. The moans from everyone except Rose told him they had forgotten. –Our test will finish our study of Mandrakes. Will each of you take a copy of the test and one of the Mandrakes pots? Please follow the instructions and label the parts of the plants, and answer all of the questions listed. You’ll have thirty minutes to finish the test.”

Rose, pulling Kaitlin along, was the first to the test and to the potted plants. Scorpius slowly took the paper and then wandered toward the door, past the last remaining mandrake plant, and picked up one of the pots by the entrance. Before he got back to his solitary table, Neville was waiting with the correct pot.

–Sorry, Scorpius, that pot is one of my Alice’s Truehearts not your assignment.”

Malfoy looked down and he seemed to be surprised at his error. –Sorry, Professor Longbottom, I-–. The boy seemed to freeze again.

Neville lowered his head to look the boy in the eyes. He saw the boy jump and blink in surprise. The shock seemed have awakened him enough to start the task. Neville made a mental note to either ignore or weight this test results for his grades. Scorpius was one of the best students in the school at Herbology. Neville was hoping he would eventually go for a N.E.W.T. in the subject.

Fifteen minutes later, Rose was finished with the exam and also finished with her review of her answers. Now she sat next to Albus - the chair reserved for Scorpius on the other side was still empty- and stared across the room at Scorpius. Scorpius was frozen in place and paying no attention to his plant. A look of hurt filled her eyes.

Had the two of them had a fight? Neville doubted that. Some slight had occurred, probably Rose trying to be helpful and Scorpius rejecting her. He was so glad that he wasn’t twelve years old anymore.

As the students handed in their tests, Neville asked Scorpius to stay after the class. The boy responded with a shrug and a half nod of acceptance.

Neville decided that with all of the up-coming Quidditch practices, dormitory gossip and games, which would be a constant reminder of what Scorpius was missing out on, Malfoy needed something of his to keep him busy. He needed friends who would not tread on egg shells around him. Neville knew what Malfoy needed was some hard work.


London Astoria’s Perfect Potions

Half an hour before the scheduled opening time of the shop, Draco nervously stared into the Alley. He and Astoria had stayed up all night and they had decided to take a stand. He peered into the shadows and the spaces between the buildings. No one was lurking. Fifteen minutes before the opening time, a knock sounded from the front door. Draco looked through the glass front door to see a young brown-skinned man with braided hair that was wrapped like a turban atop his head. He had his wand out and was pointing it through the glass at Draco.

Draco unlocked the door and stepped back. The man stepped through the door and at a flick of his wand the windows were covered. –I’m here to pick up the order for our friend.”

Draco heard a somewhat familiar accent: was the man originally from the Island? –I’ve got the Veritaserum and the Draught of Living Dead behind the counter. I am still brewing the Polyjuice and I will let you know when it’s done. However, I’ll be damned if I’ll supply Goyle, or anyone else, with poison. And if you’re afraid to tell him, send him here and I’ll tell him face to face.”

–Not smart, Malfoy,” warned the delivery man. –You don’t know what you’re risking by doing this.”

The other man must have been caught off guard, or the warning had increase Draco’s reaction speed, for Draco was looking into the fear filled eyes his wand up against the other’s Adams Apple. –It’s you who doesn’t know who he’s dealing with. And if anything happens to my family because of what I just did, you will be the first to feel my wrath.”

Draco pushed the man until his back was flush against the counter which hid the parts of the order that were ready.

Trying to regain control, the messenger said, –He’s not going to like this. In fact, I’d hate to be you when he finds out about this. You might want to reconsider which side of all of this you’re on.”

–Whatever he does to me or mine, I will deal double to his agents. Pass that along to your friends. And my father will avenge me to any of you that I can’t find.”

Draco saw that the other man’s pupils were wide. He could smell the fear. Had the other man wet himself? He hoped so. He knew Lucius would be screaming about this, but to hell with him. It was his life and family that was on the line.


Saturday, Hogwarts Greenhouse Number Two

When Scorpius arrived at the greenhouse, he found a checklist of tasks to be done for this morning. So he started the first task by planting four new trays of Merlin Grass and sitting them on their own table next to the other tables full of the same plant. After the planting was done, he watered the remaining trays of Merlin Grass. The magical tips of the grass in the middle trays looked off-colour to him; they were not their normal gold, but a pale yellow.

As he was putting the watering can under the worktable, he saw, through the glass wall, an older girl, he didn’t know. She turned to the right and walked through the door into the greenhouse.

She paused and looked at him from head to toe. She turned her to the right to see the items on the checklist, sighed, and said, –Hi, I’m Crystaline Dragonherd. Everybody calls me Crystal though, I’m not sure why. The Professor said that I’d be getting some help in the greenhouses.” The thin, fourth-year, Ravenclaw was a good half a head taller than Scorpius. After her greeting, she walked to the wall and replaced her cloak with a groundskeeper outfit to match the one he wore.

–I’m Scorpius Malfoy,” he replied after the girl had returned. –I just planted some more Merlin Grass and watered the rest. I think the middle table might need a bit of dragon dung worked into soil.”

Crystal raised one eyebrow, walked over to the trays mentioned and stuck her pinky finger into the soil. After about a half a minute she pulled it out, smelled the finger and finally tasted it. With her little finger still in her mouth, she rocked her head from side to side making a lip smacking sound. –You’re right about the dung, but it could also use a tad of...” She stopped while contemplating the taste of her pinky. –Potassium, just a little bit mixed in with the dung. –

Scorpius started to laugh at the strange girl who was still sucking her finger, lost in thought.

She ignored the laugh and removed the pinky from her mouth. –Good catch about the dung. What are you? A third-year?”

–No, second.”

She seemed even more impressed with her helper. –Listen, Tuesday evenings the Herbology club meets here. Professor Longbottom assigns special projects and we talk about plants. And his wife always sends along the best desserts with him. Her tarts are way better than the school’s are.”

Scorpius considered. Tuesday was scheduled to be one of the weekly Quidditch practices and he couldn’t sit alone in the tower, listening to the excited talk after the practice and catching the sad looks from Jimber and especially Rose. –Are the tarts really that good?”

Crystal nodded. –Especially the treacle ones!”

Dragonherd showed him around Greenhouse number three, a place that he had never been to. He recognized the Dittany and Alihotsy; they had grown them in the Manor’s Greenhouses for use in his mother’s potions. He also knew of Gurdyroot, which was used to induce vomiting in poisoning cases. However, he had never seen a real Venomous Tentacula. She explained about the watering and feeding of the plant, and warned him about never ever putting one of the leaves into his mouth. Unless you didn’t have a need for a tongue. If you didn’t, then you could suck on the leaves.

After the tour, Scorpius felt good for the first time since Sunday night. He thanked Crystaline and the two returned to their original greenhouse, where they mixed the dung and potassium mixture and applied it to the Merlin Grass trays.

Scorpius smiled because it felt like he was back at home with his mother taking care of the plants. He looked at Crystal’s dark brown stained fingers and asked, with mock disgust, –You’re not going to do that thing with you pinky again are you?”

She looked down at her hands and began a large belly laugh that went on for a good minute. The two washed up at the basins as she talked about her family. Her dad was a Muggle Liaison Officer with the Postal Service and her mother had been a Muggle postal worker at a small country post office. It had been love at first sight, she was told, and it was not until their wedding night that he disclosed to her that he was a wizard and his true last name.

Scorpius found the story very odd. Maggie Quince and the Bairds were Muggle born. He had never met somebody from a mixed marriage family before. He had a bunch of questions, but didn’t feel he knew her well enough to ask.

When asked about his family, Scorpius didn’t mention his grandfather’s Death Eater ties. He didn’t want to lose anything else due to his family’s history.

Crystalline looked at the next item on the list. –Best get your earmuffs. Next, we replant Mandrakes.”


On the next Saturday morning, Scorpius was down at the greenhouse at seven-thirty to meet with Professor Longbottom and Crystalline. During the last Tuesday’s Herbology club meeting, Longbottom had hinted he wanted the two of them to work with his further hybridization of his Alice’s Trueheart.

After the meeting, an excited Crystal had let him know that during Longbottom’s last year at Hogwarts, he had not only led a student uprising against the bad guys, but he had also developed a new type of heart shaped flower that was dedicated to his mother. The plant was called Alice’s Trueheart.

She was so excited that her soft speaking talking voice fell to a whisper. Professor Longbottom had N.E.W.T. students he could have chosen to assist him, but he had chosen the two of them for this ‘very personal’ project. So, Scorpius had arrived twenty-five minutes early, carrying a tray with a tall stack of butter and orange marmalade lathered toast and a large glass of milk. He spent the time nibbling on the toast and observing, but not touching, the six potted examples of the Trueheart. He wondered what changes Professor Longbottom wanted with this simple, but beautiful flower.

Through the slightly steamy glass wall of the greenhouse, Scorpius thought he saw the hazy image of Abby Baird walking from the school toward Hagrid’s hut. He was just considering the oddity of that, when Rose also appeared on the school side of the greenhouse and followed Abby. Rose was walking funny. She was normally a strider, confidently walking as fast has her legs would take her. However, she was talking small steps and seemed to be looking around after every other step.

As Rose walked out of sight, he contemplated what he had just seen. Before he could walk across the room to his cloak, Crystal showed up. Scorpius looked at her and said, –When Professor Longbottom gets here, have him head towards Hagrid’s hut. I think Rose Weasley is tailing the intruder.” After he finished, he ran over to his cloak hanging on a hook on the wall and pulled his wand from the pocket and proceeded to follow Rose’s trail. The trail did not lead toward the hut, but into the forest beyond.

Scorpius picked up his pace as he a heard muffled shout and an explosive whooshing sound. As he came around a group of small trees, he entered an area that was full of dense black smoke. He tried call Rose’s name, but his mouth was full of a chalky taste. He had to fight the urge to gag. Drawing as much saliva into his mouth as possible, he was able to call out. –Rose? Rose! It’s Scorpius, where are you?” He took two more steps in the dark until his foot found something in the leaves on the floor of the forest.

Three sets of running footsteps came up behind Scorpius. He felt the strong wind blow on him and the smoke was blown into the woods. Looking down onto the floor of the forest, he saw what his foot had bumped into. Rose lay on her back, and she was unconscious.

Crystal, Hagrid and Professor Longbottom had arrived and cleared the strange smoke. Professor Longbottom attempted to rouse Rose, but she remained unmoving. Crystal pointed to Rose’s right hand and Longbottom pulled from its grasp a golden necklace with the letters DF hanging from the chain.”

Professor Longbottom stood up and shouted –Expecto Patronum!” Three white shapes exploded from his wand. Two headed for the school and the third headed generally south.

Scorpius barely took this in. He had dropped to his knees and took Rose by the hand. –Rose, its Scorpius. Wake up! Please!” And without thinking about witnesses or anything that had happened before he bent over and kissed her forehead.

She did not wake.

After about five minutes, Madam Pomfrey arrived in the forest. While fully dressed, the old woman’s hair was still pinned and wrapped around little metal rollers. She immediately began to treat Rose. In a couple of minutes more, two blue robed Aurors, Harry Potter, and a distraught looking Ron Weasley arrived at the spot in the forest. Weasley looked over at Scorpius, who was still holding his daughter’s hand and barely audibly calling her name.

Scorpius looked up at Ron Weasley. A rage filled him and in that moment, he understood what his father had said in Flitwick’s office. Scorpius stood up, turned and yelled into the woods. –I know you can hear me! You better surrender to the Aurors, because I won’t be as nice as they will if I find you.” And with that the boy turned back toward Rose and began to softly sob.

Harry looked down at his niece and turned to Ron. He said, –Stay with her. Take her statement when she wakes up. You’d better send a Patronus each to Hermione and the Burrow. We’ll never hear the end of it if you don’t.”

Ron nodded his head. All of the words were recognized, but his brain was like the old Ford Anglia when it was out of gear. As Madam Pomfrey levitated his girl onto a conjured stretcher, Ron looked over to Scorpius and said, –When you’re done with the questioning, please come up and sit with her. I know she’d appreciate it.” And after finishing his little talk with the boy, he followed his oldest child up to the hospital wing.

Harry noticed that Scorpius was bobbing back and forth as he gained control of his feelings. –Tell me everything you saw, no matter how trivial it may seem. Okay?” asked Harry.

Scorpius wiped his eyes while he gathered control. Neville looked at Crystal and said, –Maybe we should start the project next week.” The girl nodded in agreement and they walked away.

By this time, Hagrid had reappeared with Olympe, his slobbering mastiff hound. The dog was sniffing at the ground, but could not find a scent. Sterling, the Auror, answered Hagrid’s yet-to-be-asked question. –The intruder must have used Peruvian Darkness Powder. The chalky smell masks everything.”

Hagrid sighed and took the giant dog back to his hut.

Soon, Scorpius was ready to talk. –I was in Greenhouse Number Two. I was going to meet with Professor Longbottom and Crystal Dragonherd about some special Herbology project. At about a quarter before eight, I noticed Abby Baird walking down from the school toward Hagrid’s hut. I thought that was weird. I mean, as far as I knew, she’s never been to Hagrid’s hut and wouldn’t be going there alone at this time. However, before I could get to my cloak, there was Rose following Abby. Just as I was about to leave the greenhouse, Crystal showed up and I told her to bring Professor Longbottom because I thought Rose had found the intruder. Before I could catch up, they had a fight or something because when I came around the corner, the air was black and that chalky taste was in the air. I almost tripped over her in the dark and Professor Longbottom blew the dark air out of the way. And Crystal noticed Rose was clutching something in her hands: a necklace with the letters DF on it.”

–DF? Where is the necklace? –

–The Professor had it last time I saw it,” the boy replied.

Harry made a mental note about asking Neville about the necklace. He turned his attention back to the boy and offered his clean, white, linen hanky to Scorpius. –Best if you wipe your eyes. You won’t want Rose to see that you were crying.” The boy looked at the cloth and back up to Harry. –Go ahead, I did this for Ron when Hermione was petrified when she was only-– Harry paused, Rose and Hermione had both been second-years. Harry remembered the banter between Ron and Draco about not having any adventures this year. He hoped this one would be their last one.

Scorpius returned the hanky to Harry. Touches of red still were visible around his eyes, but he would look passable. –Go up to the hospital wing and see Rose. As you enter the main door, push the second large vase on the right. It will open up a secret passage that will lead you straight up to the hospital.”

Scorpius smiled at the older man. He saw that a lot of what he liked about Albus was also in his father. He wondered what he had inherited from his father. Just before he left for the school, he turned to look into the woods. Somewhere, not that far away in there was the villain, the one who was keeping him from playing Quidditch and the one that had hurt Rose. The villain that had to pay for all that she had done.

Scorpius turned his back and mind from getting revenge. He had to be there for Rose.

Chapter 10 - The Disappearing Girl by Hotrav

Rose left the Hospital Wing just after breakfast on Monday. By then, the story she had told her father and the Aurors had swept through the entire school. Although she had not told her father everything. I mean telling you dad that the reason that you got hurt was because you were in the Great Hall hoping to meet a boy is just a bit weird, she thought

On Saturday, she had gone down to the Great Hall in hope of seeing Scorpius. All week, he had seemed to be avoiding her. So, she decided to get there before he would. She had to talk to him and see what he was going through.

As she walked down into the Great Hall, she looked around to see if he had beaten her down for breakfast. Instead, she noticed Abby Baird sitting at the middle of the Gyffindor table trying to eat her breakfast. The reason she was trying was that standing next to her was one of the Slytherin girls who had called her names the previous week. The girl was taunting Abby again.

–Tell me, Prissybell, who does your hair? I mean, do you even own a comb?”

Abby continued to ignore the insults and ate her cereal. The Slytherin recognized Rose, made a face at her and slunk back to the Slytherin table. As Rose started to sit down next to Abby, the girl got up and walked toward the doors.

–Hey!” Rose blurted toward her housemate’s back. In an instant the truth hit her; Rose looked up at the staff table. No teachers were sitting up there. She looked back towards the door and saw the Abby turn to the right.

Rose reached into her pocket and found her wand. She ran toward the door. As she exited the Great Hall, she glimpsed Abby going toward the front door. She began to run in an attempt with her target. Following the intruder across the lawn, she came to the greenhouses and temporarily lost Abby. Worried that Abby might be waiting to ambush her, she began to carefully walk past the greenhouses. As she got past the last of the glass houses, she spotted the intruder almost at the Forbidden Forest. If the intruder made it to the woods, she might escape.

–Stop!” Rose shouted.

The intruder began to run and turned left past a row bushes and some small trees. As she too turned the corner, Rose heard a whooshing sound and the world went black.


Rose awoke in the Hospital wing. Standing over her were Madame Pomfrey and her father, and holding her right hand was Scorpius. Scorpius’ face was full of concern. As she tried to sit up, the room seemed to spin and she laid her head back on the pillow. As she turned to face Scorpius, the concern she had noted was replaced with the biggest smile she’d ever seen on his face.

–How did I get here? Wait, the intruder looks like Abby Baird! Did you catch her?”

Her dad, smiling a smile almost as the same size as Scorpius’s replied, –This young man was in the greenhouse and saw you following Abby. He left a message for Professor Longbottom and followed you into the forest.”

Rose turned toward Scorpius. For the first time in days, she just looked at him. However, she had only one thing to say to him that she wanted her father to hear. –Thank you.”

–Yeah! Sure,” he said, as the weight of the world was lifted from his twelve-year-old shoulders. As Rose tried to rise again, she grimaced. –Is she all right?” Scorpius asked the nurse.

–She’ll have a bruise or two from the spell. However, all she’ll need is to get some rest.”

As the nurse finished checking Rose’s pulse, the door burst open and into the ward came Rose’s mother and her little brother, almost running. Hermione looked at her husband and over to the nurse.

–She’ll be all right. She just got stunned and I prescribe rest,” Madame Pomfrey said giving a reassuring smile.

Ron raised his hand toward his wife. –I need to take her statement. After I get that, you can mother her all you want.”

Rose’s mother gave Mr. Weasley a look that Scorpius had only seen once, and that was when his own father had taken Grandfather Malfoy’s side in an argument. As Rose told her story, Scorpius released her hand, stood up and offered the chair to Mrs. Weasley.

–Thank you, Scorpius,” Hermione said, with a slight smile. Hermione began to reach over and take Rose’s temperature by placing the back of her hand against her daughter’s forehead. Rose jerked back from the touch and another grimace crossed her face.

–Mum!”

After Rose’s statement was finished, the doors opened and in walked the entire Quidditch team. The whole gang surrounded the bed. Scorpius suddenly felt like he was out of place again with all of the talk about cancelling practice and stuff.

He quietly slipped out of the door and turned to walk toward the greenhouses to get his rucksack and his cloak. After that he would go to the forest and spy on the Auror’s progress.


Hermione sat on an uncomfortable chair in a little cave created by the white, linen partitions that surrounding her daughter’s bed. She had split the last hour between reviewing a brief on an elf-rights case and watching her daughter sleep. Scorpius had slipped away quietly. The Quidditch team was out practicing. Ron was up in the Headmaster’s office with Harry discussing options. Molly and Arthur had taken Hugo away from the Hospital Wing and were visiting the rest of the Weasley grandchildren that were at Hogwarts. So she sat there trying hard not to see the parallels in their school careers. She couldn’t help comparing her daughter’s life with her own.

Rose stirred from the pillow and turned to face her mother. She stretched gingerly and rubbed her eyes. –What time is it?”

Without looking at her watch or missing a beat, Hermione replied –Two thirty-five.”

Rose smiled; leave it to her mother to answer in exact minutes. She looked around to find the little space empty of other visitors. Rose couldn’t hide her disappointment.

–He hasn’t returned yet.”

–Who?” asked Rose, trying to hide her feelings from her mum.

Hermione fixed her daughter with her best courtroom stare. Rose looked down at her bed. While avoiding her mother’s visual rebuke, she wadded up the top of the sheets in her hands. It was a waiting game; Rose knew who would speak first.

Deciding to speak just to break the wall of silence and taking a tone that so reminded her of her own mother drawing her out about her ‘friend’ Ron, Hermione began her interrogation. –Are you going to tell me what happened between you and Scorpius? Or should I just guess?”

–If you find out what’s happened, tell me, okay?” She answered her mother with a question.

Hermione hid most of her smile. Rose’s evasion of the question via a joint verbal and mental reversal was one of her ‘normal’ defenses. Rose was okay. She was being herself.

–I know Mr. Malfoy refused to sign Scorpius’ permission slip. So let me guess, you tried to comfort him and get him to talk about his feelings. And he stormed off and he hasn’t been the same since.”

Rose sat up. Had her mother read her mind or had Albus or somebody told her? –Yes. He just got all red in the face and almost sprinted up to his room.”

Hermione nodded. Numerous memories of either her or Ron stomping out of a room in a huff flashed through her mind. –Boys don’t talk about their feelings, Rose. They have to work things out in their own way. They think that if they talk, they’ll be seen as weak. And that’s for normal boys, I can’t imagine what male Malfoys might be like.”

–Why are you and Dad always bringing up his last name? He’s not like them!”

–I know, Rose. I spent Christmas observing him very closely. However, when trouble comes people tend to revert to their base natures,” Hermione replied.

–Even you?”

She smiled at the trap her daughter had set. Rose got that part of her personality from Ron. It was why they both were such good chess players. –You know I tend to over-analyze and your father panics for about ten minutes before he settles down to think.”

–Is Uncle Harry like Albus? I mean, Albus is always trying to help even before he knows if it’s needed.” Rose asked.

Hermione smiled. –Your Uncle Harry rushes in order to save everyone and, once past the point of no return, he tries to plan. It can be strength, but it can also be a greater weakness. You can’t always save everybody, but he doesn’t always see it that way.” She paused. The late night conversations with Ginny about Harry and his job were suppressed. This was about Rose.

–Your father said that Scorpius followed you into danger and refused to leave you until help arrived. He next shouted a warning into the forest and came up here to stay by your side.”

–He followed me into the forest?” asked Rose. The thought of Scorpius as a rescuing knight gave her a moment of pleasure, and then it didn’t. –Why? Did he think I needed help? Does he think that I’m some helpless girl in a story who needs a boy to save her?”

–He followed you so he could protect someone he cares for. What that means is that no matter how angry he is with you at the moment, he will risk everything for you. That’s a gift that needs to be appreciated. Rose, be friendly to him. Don’t talk about Quidditch or his feelings. Find other things to talk about, be yourself and let him be himself. He’ll work it out. You wouldn’t believe the number of times I swore to never again speak to your father or your Uncle Harry.–

Rose smiled. She and her mother had just had a real conversation. The talk was a mother-to-daughter, but it had not been mother-to-child. She gave her mother a smile at the recognition of the change of their status.

Her mother returned her smile with a look of total confusion.


London

Draco looked up and entering the door was the bloke from the last delivery. –We’ve got company, Mrs. Malfoy.”

–Understood,” she answered.

Draco noticed that the delivery man did not lock the door or close the windows. From under his cloak, he pulled a sack and dropped it on the counter. The sack made a substantial metallic clank as it landed.

Not taking his eyes off of the stranger, Draco dragged the pouch across the counter top and into his cash drawer.

–Any more requests from our friend?” Draco asked.

–He told me to tell you that the next time you change the order, you won’t know what hit your family until you’re taking what’s left to St. Mungo’s.”

The threat was expected. It should have scared him, but it didn’t. He and Astoria were Appariting straight to the front stoop on Number Twelve. And the store was protected by spells that would protect and warn them. The only family members that could be touched were Scorpius or their parents. He trusted Potter’s word that his son was safe. Astoria’s parents had been warned and were on the Continent, sightseeing. And Draco would love to be there to see Goyle take on his father.

–I’m surprised you came back after what happened last time.”

–What do you mean?” asked the messenger.

Draco smiled, feeling emboldened. –Any more requests, before I kick you out the door?”

–Yes, he really wants needs the Achlys poison. He needs it to solidify his position. He also wants some Pralina Extract. Pralina Extract is an antidote to Achlys Breath, so will you now brew both of them? Our friend doesn’t want to kill people, just persuade them.” The words dripped off the man’s tongue like honey.

Draco pursed his lips and nodded. He knew Goyle could still use the poison not the antidote, but it gave him some comfort and maybe some legal cover.

–When does he want the next delivery?”

–Wednesday, at noon. You will post a sign in the window saying you will be closed for inventory all afternoon. He’ll send someone else to pick it up.”

Draco just nodded and he didn’t say a thing until the man was out of the door.


Hogwarts – Forbidden Forest

Scorpius crouched in the boughs of the large tree listening to the sounds of the Forbidden Forest. This was the second Saturday morning in which he had gotten up before dawn and gone to the forest to search the general area where Rose had been attacked. His face suddenly contorted into a large, silent yawn. It was so hard to listen without slipping into sleep.

He had been silent for about ten minutes since he had moved to his current location. The trip to the tree had been way too noisy, because he had stepped on so many brittle leaves and trigs on his way, so now he had to remain silent. He hoped to lure the intruder into thinking the sounds were those of a deer or something.

He decided he had waited long enough. Reaching into his cloak pocket, Scorpius pulled out a hand full of small round stones. He chose a spot in the distance and flipped the rock in an arc toward his target. The stone flew on its path until gravity overcame it and it fell on to the ground. He next chose a spot about two yards to the right and repeated the process. After the better part of a half an hour and over twenty stones, he gave up on this location as being worthless and plotted his next move.

A large yew tree was across a little clearing, only about twenty steps away. He had to be quiet, not just so that he would not spook the intruder, but also so he wouldn’t rile the centaurs. Scorpius kept his mind on his task. The forgetting spell was one that his mother had mentioned in her letter about how someone could go unobserved even from Aurors. His mother had included that admonition about not going into the Forbidden Forest, because the centaurs could not be trusted nor bargained with.

He made it to his goal and began waiting again. After five minutes, he began the rock tossing. If the rock disappeared, it meant a camouflage spell was in effect. On his fifth toss, which was made toward a spot where two fallen trees lay next to each other, the pebble disappeared about ten feet ahead of him. Using the toe of his shoe, he drew a line to the place he had launched the pebble. Then, he made a sixth toss, about five yards to the right of the previous throw. He watched the pebble all of the way until it bounced off of the leafy forest floor. He scuffed the dirt in a line to where the sixth throw was aimed.

Suppressing a yelp of celebration, he started to leave the safety of the tree. If he could sneak back to Hagrid’s hut or the school, he had the location already marked. Suddenly out of nowhere, a disembodied hand appeared, just to the right of his fifth toss. Scorpius leaned back into the tree, hoping to go unseen.

Unable to see the rest of the body, let alone the face, he was not sure if it was safe to move. A cold chill ran down his spine. He was in a forest surrounded by hostile centaurs facing a magic user who had attacked grown-ups and avoided a platoon of Aurors. And he was only a twelve-year-old who knew maybe a dozen spells. If he was discovered by his prey, being captured would be the least of his worries.

As he watched, the leg and the hip of the intruder appeared out of the place it was hiding. It was like the other had forgotten where the boundaries of its protective spells were. The body disappeared again. Was he being teased? Was this an act so he would show himself, thinking it was safe?

He so missed Rose. If she was here, he knew they could whisper out a way out of this. And if not, they would face danger like they had in the London Underground last spring.

As he was trying to decide what to do, out of nowhere stepped the entire body of the intruder. She was a short, stout witch, part dishwater-blonde, part silver hair framing a wide, fleshy face. She moved with a slight limp and she held her right hand out palm up. She wandered to her left, but seemed to be going nowhere in particular. And all of the time, she was talking very softly to her left and right, where no one was.

–She’s crazy,” Scorpius thought.

The woman turned in her meanderings as if she had heard his thought. She slowly weaved her way toward his tree. If she were to take a couple of more steps to her right, she couldn’t miss seeing him. He had to do something before that happened.

As she took a step to her right, Scorpius charged her. Yet she didn’t seem to see him approach until they collided. As they both fell to the dirt, he tried to grab her hands to knock away her wand. She wasn’t holding one.

The woman pushed him aside, but did not try to fight off her attacker. Instead, she crawled forward and began to frantically sift through the dirt and leaves. Scorpius heard her exclaim. –It’s gotta be here.”

And as he pounced on her again, he heard her with a relief filled voice say, –Thank God! I found you.” As she attempted to rise, he wrapped his arms around her legs. A knee caught him in the eye as she attempted to stand. His hand slipped off of her knee and in the struggle, he felt the old woman’s knee land on it. A cracking sound came from his right ring finger. In the distance, he heard a sound.

–Help! Help me! I’ve caught the intruder,” he shouted. as the old woman kicked to try and free herself.

Suddenly, crashing through the bushes, his help was revealed. Standing in an arc around him was a patrol of male centaurs. Scorpius looked up to see two bows, with their arrows notched, pointed at him. He released the old woman.

A palomino with a salt-and-pepper beard and mane stepped forward and said, –You have been found trespassing in our forest and you are both our prisoners.”

Scorpius sat up with his legs crossed looking into the faces of his captors. The woman just remained laying on the ground with her palm extended, speaking again to no one.

The centaur looked concernedly at the old woman. –Human, what have you done to this old mare?”

–Nothing. She was like that when I first saw her. Please send a messenger to Hagrid’s or the school so they can fetch the Aurors.”

The request drew the shakes of many heads and the pawing of more than one hoof on the ground. The centaur looked like he was going to say something nasty back to him, when a young spotted, beardless centaur spoke.

–Father, I know where Hagrid’s hut is. I could deliver the message for you.”

The older centaur gave the youngster a look of total distain. Scorpius thought, –Fathers: they are the same everywhere.”

–We will have to council about whether or not we will turn you over to the humans. You have violated centaur law and that supersedes ministry justice. Besides, how do we know that you are not the intruder? The human, Potter, warned us about the shape shifting potion. We will consider your fate and we are a patient race.”

All of the centaurs, except the young one who had spoken out of turn, gathered in a council. The young one kicked a clod of dirt toward where Scorpius knew that the woman’s hiding place was, the woman sat there in conversation to the thin air, and he sat there waiting for patient centaur justice.


–Firehoof, come here,” said the old centaur. After a moment of hesitation, the young centaur entered the council. He nodded his head and ran at a full gallop out of the circle. By this time, Scorpius had become so disorientated that he did not know if Firehoof had run deeper into the forest or towards Hogwarts. The council broke up and then they formed a circle around the two sprawled humans.

Twenty minutes later, Scorpius got his answer. He heard numerous footfalls and the familiar voices of Hagrid and Mr. Weasley approaching. With the young centaur leading the way, a group of six people entered the clearing.

Ron Weasley spread his arms wide to stop his group behind him at a respectful distance from the circle. –Hello, Bane. I understand you have something for me?”

Scorpius strained to catch sight of Mr. Weasley through the legs of his guards.

”They have trespassed upon our lands. We require justice.”

Ron looked over his shoulder toward the Auror Broomwright and nodded. The young woman took off her robe to reveal blue Muggle dungarees and a white blouse with puffy sleeves. She then walked toward the centaurs with her wand extended, handle facing towards the centaurs. Bane snatched the wand by the handle from her and she entered the circle.

Broomwright gave Scorpius a quick once over and turned to face the old, muttering woman. –She’s Donna Fletcher, all right. Mundungus’s daughter and chief potion maker for Knockturn Alley. She seems to be in a trance or something. Confunded maybe?” Broomwright turned to Scorpius asking a silent question.

–Don’t look at me; I’ve not got that far in school yet.”

She smiled and nodded in agreement.

Broomwright stood and turned in a circle, facing each of the patrol. –I volunteer to take the place of the foal and the old mare as your prisoner until justice can be pronounced by your wise council.”

The centaurs all turned toward Bane. –Two for one is not a fair trade, human.”

Broomwright chortled, –An old woman touched in the head and a runny-noised boy who can’t defeat an unarmed, old woman! I’m worth four of them.”

Bane seemed to like the female’s nerve and pride. –We accept the exchange.”

–Wait, –shouted Scorpius from his seated position. –I found where she was hiding. Do we get to search the area?”

Whinnies and neighs sounded. Bane spoke. –The female has been digging in our forest. So what she had dug up is our property and not your property!”

Ron heard both Hagrid and Auror Sterling muttering their disapproval at the statement. Ron pawed at the ground for a second and made a counter offer. –Both groups will go through whatever she has. We catalogue it and anything that is not easily traceable to a specific witch or wizard, or to the school you get to keep. However, we also get to take the foal, the old mare and the young filly with us when we go.”

More whinnies were sounded. Bane said, –You have the word of the Centaurs.”

Ron responded, –You have the word of the Ministry.”


Scorpius sat in the bed of the hospital wing. The nurse had set and Skele-Gro’ed his hand. She also dabbed a smelly salve on the area above his eye.

Directly across from him, behind a wall of partitions and a two Auror guards, was Donna Fletcher. Sitting just to his left was Rose, her anger at his risking of his life melted into relief and eventually into a couple of tears. Next to Rose was his mother. The two females were talking about how impressed they were with how he had solved the case. He was not certain whose glowing eyes of admiration pleased him the most. His father had checked in with Madam Pomfrey and disappeared out of the wing.

After an hour, the heads of the Auror department and his father walked into the hospital. The threesome did not stop in front of him however. They went behind the partitions. He could almost make out what was being said, but Rose and his mother kept on talking, drowning out what was being said.

After about ten more minutes, Rose conjured a chess set and sat it on the table. She said that since he was injured, he got to be white and move first. He was amazed. –You never play chess with Albus, Jimber and me.”

Rose looked at him with a crooked smile and said, –I never waste my time on people I can beat without trying. I think you’ve improved enough to be a small challenge.”

–Really!?” He moved his king’s pawn out two spaces and the game was on. Just before he started concentrating on the match, he spotted his mother looking back and forth between the two of them with a weird smile.

About five moves before stalemate would have been called, the three men left the intruder. They talked in soft tones, once again too quiet to overhear.

Astoria spoke up, –You know, if you let us hear you now you won’t have to explain it over and over to us again later.”

The three married men looked at Astoria, then Ron looked back at Harry. He shrugged and said, –Might as well, no state secrets or anything.”

Ron began the explanation. –When Dung died, it left his daughter in danger. She had spent her whole life brewing potions for the denizens of Knockturn Alley and only her father’s power kept people from getting revenge on her. When he died, she found a will that included a map to a treasure he had buried in the forest during the Battle of Hogwarts. It seems that during the battle, old Dung played cut purse, rifling bodies to get rings, gold, wands, anything of value. When he started to leave, he knew he had too much to escape with so he buried most of it near Aragog’s old webs. So she, with the help of another, attacked the Quinces and boarded the train. It seems like Goyle had heard of the treasure and was looking for her. He found the assistant and tortured the information out of her. That‘s how Goyle knew about the Quinces.”

–What did you find?” asked Rose.

–Enough treasure for her to comfortably live the rest of her life on the continent or in America. She had to wait for the first Hogsmeade weekend for the lowering of the spells to make her escape,” Harry answered his niece.

Scorpius blurted out, –She’s sick in the head. She kept talking to people who weren’t there.” They all saw the two men exchange looks.

–Well one of the things she found lying on the forest floor near one of her digs was a special item. It was a gift Dumbledore had given me inside a Snitch long ago. The item gives one the illusion that your dead loved ones are there, invisible to all but you. And you can walk and talk to them like they are really there”

–So, she was talking to her father?”

–Not just her father. When Voldemort became strong, about the time I was born, two of his victims were a Muggle-born wizard and his daughter. The Muggle-born was her husband.”

Silence filled the area around the beds, Astoria looked at Harry. –And what of Dumbledore’s gift? Are you going to take it from her?”

Harry shook his head. –I’m afraid that if I do, the shock might be too much for her. I need the knowledge in her head. She knows about crimes that are unsolved. After that, we’ll have to decide.”

Rose looked close to tears. –How horrible! She lost everyone and everything that she cared about. And now you can just take what little she has in the world away again. It’s not right.”

Scorpius leaned across the board to take her hand. Rose mirrored the action with a smile.

Draco looked at the pair and hid his sigh. –Scorpius, I have some good news. Since the intruder has been caught, I can sign your permission slip for the Quidditch team. You can begin practice as soon as you are released from here.”

The news caused Rose to brighten from her previous gloom. The news, for some reason, did not excite him as he thought it would.

–Thank you, Father. However, I’ve been selected by Professor Longbottom for a special Herbology project and I’d like to see it through. Besides, with a year more of practice, I’ll even be an even better Chaser next year.”

Draco was dumbfounded and looking at the Weasley girl, he saw that she was too. The only person as calm as his son was Astoria. She wore a great look of pride about her son’s choice.

–You’re becoming you own man,” thought Astoria. Her fears about living with Lucius all of those years and the affect on her son seemed to melt away. He was truly their child and not his.

Chapter 11 - One Last Betrayal by Hotrav

Scorpius grinned over toward Jimber. He had to laugh at his friend’s face. The left half of it was painted a bright scarlet and the other side was gold. And Jimber laughed back at him, because his face mirrored that of his friend. They were two in the midst of a crowd of young wizards, screaming at the top of their lungs.

–Go! Go! Gryffindor...”

Scorpius watched as Albus took a pass from Thistlecrowne and quickly fired the Quaffle past the Hufflepuff Keeper to make the score Lions 50 and Badgers nil. Although he had missed the Hufflepuff defeat of Ravenclaw 210 to 50 because he had been working late with Crystal on the Herbology project; he like the rest of his house, saw no problem with beating Hufflepuff. After all, Gryffindor had beaten Slytherin almost by two hundred points.

However, all week Kaitlin had been pacing back and forth in the common room, muttering to herself about facing her cousin Rhys. Kaitlin was so not herself that she actually ignored all of the insults from James Potter. On Wednesday, she got so distracted that she didn’t pay proper attention to the instructions on her potions assignment. She misread what was written on Professor Kettlebaum’s chalkboard and caused an explosion which sent smelly, yellow goop across Rose’s face and Albus’ face and arm. The cousins missed the rest of the class so they could go to the Hospital Wing to have large, blue warts tended to.

–Go! Go! Gryffindor…”

The score was now Lions 110 and Badgers 10.

–Wow, he can fly,” said James, as he craned his neck to follow the two Jones cousins, as they flashed across the sky. James’ mouth was wide open as he watched the two riders corkscrewing their way around each other and down the pitch.

James’ comments drew Scorpius to stop obsessing about Rose and her goal-keeping to watch the Seekers duel in the sky. Rhys was flying flat on his broom towards the Hufflepuff goal with Kaitlin at his hip when he stood up on his footholds and pulled back on the handle with all of his might to kill his momentum. Kaitlin flew twenty yards past before she could change her direction to match his movement.

James’ index finger almost poked Scorpius in the eye as he pointed to a spot about forty feet up in the air near the Gryffindor goal. Scorpius saw Rhys flying with his forehead resting on the broom handle and his hands on his back. He couldn’t believe the balance that it must have taken to achieve the almost perfectly aerodynamic position so effortlessly. Just as Rhys reached out to grasp the Golden Snitch, a Bludger from Freddy Weasley glanced off his shoulder and he overshot the prize.

As Rhys turned around to find the Snitch, he saw his cousin diving to his right. Kaitlin was only feet from the winged ball and yards ahead of the Hufflepuff Seeker.

An aimed shot from the other team whizzed past her head as she shifted her weight to the right to get to the Snitch. Inches from her hand, the ball dropped at least a foot and eluded her grasp. The wings fluttered through her desperately clutching fingers.

The crowd cheered around the Scorpius. Harold shouted from behind, –Albus scored. It’s 140 to 10. Go! Go! Gryffindor...”

Rhys, following in his cousin’s slipstream, had time to adjust his course and easily grabbed the rapidly sinking Golden Snitch. He held it up so that the referee could see the capture. The Hufflepuff and Slytherin stands erupted in celebration. The Gryffindors fans and team seemed to deflate like a balloon that has been pricked with a pin.

Hufflepuff 160 - Gyffindor 140.


After the game, the Gryffindor common room was like a morgue. The whole team just sat there, looking into the large fireplace like they hoped the roaring fire would burn the memory of the loss away. Kaitlin Jones was inconsolable. She sat there with tears running down her face.

–I lost. I’ve never lost before,” she repeated to herself.

Abby, Jenelle and Margaret -each in turn- tried to comfort her, but their attempts were in vain. Scorpius and Jimber spent all of the time after the game trying to make Rose and Albus smile. They had no success either.

However, the whole common room seemed to hold its breath as they watched James Potter approach Kaitlin’s chair from the side. She looked up to see her antagonist. Expecting the worse, she lashed out first. –Go ahead, make fun of me. Tell me you would have beaten him to the Snitch.”

James just shook his head. –You were unbelievable out there. I’d never even have got close to it. What you said about Rhys was the true, Kitty-Kat. I wouldn’t have stood a chance.”

Kaitlin did not change how she held herself. She was acting defensively expecting James to add a crushing insult to his fake empathy. However, James didn’t say anything for a couple of minutes.

–I really don’t see how you could have beaten him. He’s so much quicker on his maneuvers.” James paused again, thinking.

Kaitlin locked her fierce eyes on James’ face, waiting again to be ridiculed. –The only thing I think you could have tried would be to ignore him completely and try and find the Snitch yourself. If you wait to react to him, I don’t think there’s anyone this side of a young Viktor Krum who’d have a chance.

The group saw Kaitlin’s lip quiver and she said, –Thanks. I’ll try that next time. Did you notice anything else I could try?”

James turned his head to the side like he was somehow reviewing the game. –Only one small thing which might cut down on the wind resistance and give you more speed. How about just before our next game against Ravenclaw, you have me shave your head bald. It could be the difference between our winning and losing the Cup. And it has to help your looks.”

Kaitlin made a face, growled and punched him hard on the shoulder. James walked around the Common Room feigning injury and demanding his cousin Freddy dismiss Kaitlin from the team. As James fell about the couch in the center of the room, everyone saw a smile appear on Kaitlin’s face. It was the first time she had smiled in over a week.

Scorpius caught Rose’s eye and the smile they shared told the other that everything would be all right, eventually.

–Rose, want to be beaten again in chess?”

–When have you ever beaten me, Malfoy? Tell me,” she said, feeling a rush of energy from his challenge.

–Well, you’ve never beaten me either. Since you lost the Quidditch match, I should get white.”

–No, I should get white. You had it last time we played.”

Scorpius pulled the set out of his rucksack, Rose waved her wand and the pieces moved into the correct squares. She had arranged them with white on her side of the board. Albus and Jimber gathered on the sides cheering for Scorpius to be the first member of their class to defeat her. The game was on. Checkmate was not really important to him right now. Helping Rose was…


Astoria’s Perfect Potions - Diagon Alley

Draco looked up from sealing the package of his customer’s anti-nausea potion to check out who had triggered the bell over his wooden front door. The person who walked into his potion shop was the last person he ever expected to see. The customer was his distant relative, ‘Uncle’ Hoyle Grindus.

Draco continued his expected small talk with the elderly lady as he escorted her to the front door. As the door shut, he pulled his wand out of his pocket and flicked it to both lock the door and cover the windows with curtains. Turning away from the door, Draco began to look over the older man.

–Astoria, come here and meet my ‘Uncle’ Hoyle.”

As she walked through the swinging door from the work room, Astoria began to size up her guest. Hoyle was a half a head shorter than Draco was. He was a thick set man, but yet not overweight. Solid was the word that came to her mind. She extended her hand. expecting it to be shaken or ignored. Instead, the older man grasped her right hand and brought it to his lips. Astoria, use to being looked down on by her in-laws because she was only seven-eighths pure, gave an incredulous look to her husband.

–So you are the poor woman cursed by the fates to marry young Draco,” Hoyle said without a smile, but with a twinkle in his eyes.

She couldn’t help but like the man. –Alas, I am. Do you know a counter curse?”

–There is none. I’m sorry.”

–Why are you here?” Draco asked.

Grindus gave Draco a look that told the younger man that he was disappointed at the question. He decided to answer anyway. –I have instructions from your father.”

–You mean you have orders he wants me to follow.” Hoyle shrugged at Draco’s comment. –So, tell me what Lucius wants of me now.”

–Saturday, at midnight, you will be at the Muggle Carlton Cinema in Essex. Mundungus Fletcher purchased the building from some Muggles not so long ago. They think the building is abandoned, but he used it as a meeting place and headquarters. The Ministry monitored the Hog’s Head, but not that place. Your father commanded that you join him on stage to help him remove the danger from our families.”

–Our families?”

Grindus nodded. –I have two grandchildren at Hogwarts; a fifth year Ravenclaw girl and a second year Slytherin boy. Goyle showed up one day and threatened to have the intruder harm them unless I paid him gold and gave him some of our top racing brooms.”

–What exactly is my father scheming?” he asked.

–

Everything, you know him! As for Saturday, he is practically purring. He even ordered a new silk dress robe for the occasion.”

Draco sighed. The last time his father ordered a special dress robe for an occasion was the time the Dark Lord chose him to lead the party to retrieve the prophecy and return with Potter from the Department of Mysteries.

–Tell Father I’ll not be showing up.”

Hoyle dropped his chin onto his massive chest. –Draco, I grew up with your father. We were both in Slytherin together. You know I tried to get him to join me in starting Comet Broomworks and he chose…Well, we know what he chose. At first, I was confused by Goyle’s clumsy attempt at blackmail until the next day, out of the blue, Lucius showed up at my door. I told him of my plans to hire private security wizards to protect the school and escort my grandchildren to class. He assured me there was no need to go to the expense and bother. He said that Harry Potter had the situation under control and to trust him.”

Draco’s mind was swimming at the news. –He said to trust Harry Potter? He’d never say that, unless…”

–Exactly,” replied Grindus. –Now I’d trust Potter and his Aurors to guard my tea cozy or pocket watch. However, when it’s my family, and as long as I have an ounce of gold, I’m protecting my own. I don’t know how, but I think we both have been pawns in some grand scheme of your father’s.”

Draco knew he was right and frustration rose into his throat like gall. –I’ve spent my whole life as a pawn in one or another of his schemes. Hoyle, why should I care about this one?”

–Your son and my grandchildren were threatened… our children, Draco!” Hoyle said with a fury present in his eyes to match the tremor in his voice.

Draco could see that he had a point. –I can’t go at his beck and call. I won’t let myself be seen as at his side or on his side.”

–I understand. I will not be there, but I think you need to bear witness to what he’s done so you can prepare. Your family’s happiness and safety may be affected by what occurs there.” Draco started to speak, but Grindus beat him to it. –I know a place where you can see, but not be seen.”


Abandoned Carlton Cinema – Essex

The approximate two hundred seats were about two thirds full of robed characters. Draco looked down through the small windows of the room, designated the Projection booth, toward the stage below. He looked past the Muggle machine with its giant wheels and sprockets to his right to ensure that his guest was comfortable. He looked everything but comfortable.

The lights dropped and the crowd began to quiet. A spotlight appeared in the middle of the stage and there in the middle of the circle of light, appeared Gregory Goyle. Goyle looked like the cat that got all of the cream. He had on a fine dress robe, a diamond ring on each finger and waistcoat which framed a diamond stick pin holding his tie in place. He held his arms out, welcoming the crowd and anticipating an overwhelming, explosive reaction from those gathered.

The crowd began to applaud. The applause was not boisterous and no one stood giving him an ovation. Even from a hundred yards away, Draco could see the wariness grow in Goyle’s manner. In a weak second, Draco almost felt pity for the sap.

Goyle walked to stage right and back to stage left, trying to get more approval from those he would be leader of. The clapping slowly died away. Draco strained his vision for a second and thought he could see droplets of sweat forming on the man’s brow. Then, Draco saw Goyle jerk in reaction to an incredibly loud sound.

–Look at him! Look at the buffoon who would attempt to match wits with the Ministry and Harry Potter.” The booming voice filling the theatre belonged to Lucius Malfoy.

Goyle spun around searching for the person responsible for the taunts.

–How many of you did he try to bully? How many of you did he threaten to hurt? Is he the man you would trust with overseeing the organization that Fletcher built? I say, no!” Lucius’s disembodied voice rang forth.

–No!” responded a majority of the crowd.

–Run, you idiot. You’ve lost everything,” thought Draco. He watched as Goyle reached into his pocket and turned in the middle of the spotlight, with his wand ready to attack a person who he could not see. –Fool.”

Lightning bolts began to flash on stage and out of a concentrated strike on stage left stepped his father. Lucius Malfoy did not have his wand at the ready. He just walked calmly towards Goyle, who was trembling, and snatched his wand away. A familiar look, to Draco anyway, of total distain for Goyle filled the senior Malfoys face.

Lucius held the captured stick up to the crowd and they roared their approval of his show of who was ready to lead and who was ready to be forgotten. Two men walked towards Goyle. Draco recognized both of them; they were the men that Goyle had used as messengers to the potion shop. The dark man with the hair turban conjured manacles and locked Goyle’s hands behind his back. They lead him away towards a door with am exit sign above it. The door opened and Draco saw that the door lead to an alley.

Lucius turned to face the crowd. –Do you know that imbecile tried to blackmail and threaten my family? Me, of all people: he threatened me! He told me of a plan to use your hard work and scheming to make himself wealthy, while you took all of the risks.”

The crowd began to mumble.

–My friends, we need a leader that knows how much hard work and time goes into each project. A leader who is there to help you succeed, not to skim your profits away. I offer someone who still has old friends in places of influence to help you if things were to go wrong. I offer myself as the temporary leader of Knockturn Alley until someone more qualified than I can be found for the position.”

The fake sincerity of his father almost made him retch, but the audience, having seen the idiot Goyle removed, was ready to cheer any possible replacement as if it were a gift from beyond.

Draco turned to his companion. –I have a message to be delivered exactly as I command. Do you understand?”


Harry Potter’s Office

Ron Weasley looked into the dredges of his teacup at the soggy leaves. A shape appeared at the bottom. He thought of Trelawney and smiled. The Grim is ever moving closer… He rotated the china cup to the right and started to say, –You’ll never guess what my tea leaves look like. They look like a house-–

Into the room appeared an old elf. He was familiar to both Harry and Ron, but what made them be taken aback by his arrival was that the ancient creature, who had appeared out of thin air, was wearing a blindfold.

–Is my former master, avenger of Regulus Black, in this room?”

–I’m here, Kreacher,” Harry responded.

The small being turned slightly to his right, following the voice so that he faced Harry. –I have a message for you. If you go to the abandoned Carleton Cinema in Essex, you will find a gathering of the leaders of the criminal element in the country. They have chosen a new leader. The leader is the illustrious father of my current master. Master’s father has also locked Gregory Goyle up and will probably eliminate him. If you act quickly, you can catch them in the act.”

–Why did Draco send you and not come in person?” Ron asked.

Kreacher seemed to shrink a bit and he began to whimper. –Kreacher did not know that his former master was not alone. Kreacher does not like sneaks who listen to private conversations.”

Ron gave a bemused shrug toward Harry who just lifted his shoulders in reply. –Kreacher, why are you blindfolded?”

–When I was in master’s house, master came to me and placed a blindfold on me and told me that someone would be taking me to a place. And later, I might have to deliver a message. Kreacher was blindfolded. How can he know who gave him the message to be delivered?”

Harry shook his head. The source of the message had to be Draco, but by having a cloth over the elf’s eyes, he could deny doing so. It was a transparent (yet worthy) deception.

–I thank you, Kreacher. Once again, you have done the biding of you master perfectly,” Harry told the old elf.

Kreacher seemed to vibrate with joy. The elf began to mumble just loud enough to be heard. –Kreacher did exactly like what Master Malfoy wanted him to and Kreacher delivered his message to both my former master and the blood-traitor Weasley just like he said to.” And Kreacher vanished from the office.

Harry looked over to Ron. –Draco chose to betray his father and give us warning.” Harry was impressed.

Ron looked less sanguine. –He could just be making one last betrayal to cover his backside. He is his father’s son.”

Harry turned to the third person in the room. –What do you think, Teddy?”

Seated in corner of the office behind a low table across from Harry’s desk, sat a dark-skinned man with his braided hair wrapped like a turban on his head. –Draco was not a good soldier to Lucius. He fought both Goyle and his father where he could. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.– And the dark man dissolved in front of their eyes to be replaced by a thin, pale, rainbow-spiky-haired, newly minted Auror: Teddy Lupin.

–And how are our two guests in the dungeons doing?” Ron asked.

–Goyle is singing like a spring robin. Ares Pyter is more like a Snargaluff stump.”

–Let Pyter stew overnight. I want someone always in there with Goyle. We need names and dates,” Harry said. –I’ve got to go and update the Minister of Magic.”

Ron smiled. –Better you than me.”


Godric’s Hollow

The house was quiet and Harry absent-mindedly sipped from his tankard as he looked out of his study window toward his parent’s old cottage. He had been surprised to find Hermione and Ginny talking at the kitchen table when he arrived, well after midnight. –Are Ron and Hermione having marital problems?” he wondered. He hoped not. He needed Ron more than ever with Lucius in charge.

The Minister was clueless to the danger.

–So instead of a thirty-something hot head, we have a man in his sixties in charge. I don’t understand why you are so concerned. A man of his age will be more cautious. I consider this a victory.” March Lee’s unconcerned, dismissive smile had made him sick. Harry missed Kingsley. Kingsley had been a man of action, not a career politician.

Harry took another sip. Lucius would spend the next month or so trying to consolidate his control. He would then have to organize a mini-crime wave to prove his leadership to the thief on the street and to buy their loyalty with their newly filled purses. However, Harry knew Lucius wasn’t doing all of this just to regain his confiscated wealth.

The question was just how far is Lucius’ ambition going to push him? How do you fight an enemy who can bide his time and wait to strike hard when you are weak? Or fight an enemy who can create havoc across the country in both Wizard and Muggle worlds, while setting up a major strike.

If only he knew the old snake’s endgame. Would Draco have a clue? –Like it or not, Draco, you chose sides tonight. Lucius will not forgive your betrayal very easily,” thought Harry.

He would have to notify all of the old D.A. gang. Neville, Luna, Flitwick and the entire Weasley clan had to be notified of what had occurred tonight. They had to be put on their guard. Even if gold was Lucius’ true goal, he wasn’t one to ignore a chance to avenge himself on an old enemy.

Harry lifted his cup and found it was empty. He didn’t remember drinking that much ale. Oh well, it was past time for bed. Harry went to set the tankard on the edge of his desk and missed. He sat it on the table on his second try.

–I’ve got to get up to bed. Another very busy day tomorrow…” he thought


A slight breeze ruffled both Lucius Malfoy’s cloak and his white-blonde hair. He stood with one hand on the Potter statue in the center of the village. Thanks to the dolt Weasley not checking to see if he was being followed after Draco’s Hogwarts announcements, he knew that Potter lived somewhere on this very street. He knew that the dwelling and its exact location would be protected, but the act of just standing here made him feel like he could just reach out and swat Potter away.

I will need to take about a month or two of weeding out the weak, and the games will begin. And when I am all done, Harry Potter will have paid for what he had done to the Dark Lord and to me. The whelp was in over his head. Did Potter know? I hope not. I want to see the anguish on his face as he watches his blood-traitor wife and worthless children suffering, and maybe die, for what he had done to our righteous cause. I want Harry Potter to see my victorius smile as the life leaves his eyes.

And Draco, what should I do about you after Potter is humiliated, dead, and gone? You’re probably a lost cause. I bet that it’s your damn wife that is somehow responsible for my losing you. However, there is the boy. I will show the boy the error of his Gryffindor ways and eventually, Scorpius will be the heir to my new empire. And maybe, the next Dark Lord will be a Malfoy.

Chapter 12 - Epilogue: Unhappy Reunions? by Hotrav

As Draco joined the little group on Platform Nine and Three Quarters, he looked around to see that he was the only adult male present. He stood in between Hermione Weasley and his wife Astoria. On the other side of Astoria were the Potter girl, Lily, her mother Ginny, Gwenog Jones, and Jones’ French girlfriend. The absence of both Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley, well known dotting fathers, was unnerving.

Draco thought back to the long Sunday evening he had spent with both of them at Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place, discussing his father’s possible plans. He remembered the startled look on their faces when he told them about his conversation with his father at that very table. The conversation in which his father told him that Voldemort’s cause was not over and that blood-status would matter one day.

–Maybe he was just trying to impress you. The two of you were scheming together, after all,” said Ronald.

–He was scheming. I was listening.” He had enough of Weasley already, so he locked his eyes on the red head before he spoke. –Lucius even came up with a scenario in which Harry kills you in self-defence.” In the corner of his vision, he saw Harry’s head jerked back in surprise.

Weasley looked flustered by the comment, but quickly covered it up. –You’re joking,” Weasley said. The tone of the dolt’s voice suggested he thought Draco was making it up.

–While you can never rule out the possibility that anything he says is designed to leave a false trail or mask his real intention, he did go out of his way to bring up Astoria’s inferior blood status.”

–She’s not a pure blood?” asked Harry.

–No, she’s only seven-eighths pure blooded according to him and so she’s an inferior.” Draco sat for a second, thinking through the ramifications of what he just said and how the meaning had changed since Lucius spoke it.

Ronald looked over at Harry. –So, we just get a couple of our people to infiltrate his organization and in a month or two we bag the lot. After that, we all leave for a relaxing holiday on the Rivera.”

Draco looked at Weasley. Did he think this was going to be that easy or was that some more of the man’s humour that he never understood?

–No, any attempt at infiltration of his organization will likely be fatal to the infiltrator. My father recruited Snape into the Death Eaters and vouched for him to the Dark Lord. Snape’s betrayal has my father even more paranoid than in the old days. He knows that this is his last chance for power and he will be more devious than ever. He will also be more deadly. He has nothing but a return to Azkaban to lose and everything to gain.” Draco could see that this analysis was not what his audience wanted to hear.

He realized that Hermione was staring as he stared toward her. He blinked and gave an exaggerated jerk of the head to show all that he was not looking at her, per se. He turned to his right to see Astoria giving him, the little pouty face that meant he had been inattentive longer than she would allow while they were in public.

He smiled at her, took her gloved hand and kissed it like Hoyle had. Her returned smile meant he had avoided whatever punishment she had planned for him.

Ginny, Giselle, and Gwenog Jones were locked into a deep discussion. Giselle, the tall Quidditch agent, handed Potter what looked to him like some sort of legal documents. Ginny gave the first page of the document a quick look and said something too quiet to hear before she pursed the ream of paper out of sight of prying eyes.

Draco looked to his left to check for the train. No train was coming. As he turned back to say something to Astoria, he saw Weasley close her eyes like in deep thought. For the first time in months, he truly looked at Hermione. She looked tired and little wrinkle lines appeared around the corner of her eyelids.

Everyone he knew was still on edge from the robbery attempt at the Leaky Cauldron, in which the barman had protected Hannah and little Alice Lorelei Longbottom against two robbers. The vicious attack had put the barman into the St. Mungo’s Long-term Care ward. While the robbery was bad enough, the fact that the fiends had searched the private rooms of the Cauldron for Hannah and the child gave it a feeling of an assassination or kidnapping attempt, not just a crime for treasure.

For over a month, the Daily Prophet had been full of stories about a wave of robberies that were occurring in both the magical and Muggle worlds. The Minster of Magic was quoted as saying he had warned the Auror office about the possibility of this crime wave months ago and his office was investigating why his warnings had gone unheeded. Potter and Weasley were under pressure to end his father’s first round of attacks now.

Draco knew that all of this was a first wave. Petty crime was not his father’s style. He was using them like Peruvian Darkness Powder to screen his real operations. He was using the crime wave to see whom of his minions he could trust and whom he could remove from both the organization and their lives.

However, they had decided that they would not share all of these troubles with the children. Besides, most of them would only be home for a week before their trip to the Isle of Mann for tryouts, to see who would go to the first ever Under-Fifteen World Quidditch tournament to be held near the Salem Institute in America.

Draco felt the rumble of the steam engine in his gut before he heard it. A few seconds later, others picked up on the approaching train and the small talk on the platform ceased. The waiting adults seemed to lean forward up the platform like they were needles before a lodestone.

As the train began to disgorge its passengers, Draco began to look for any of his son’s friends. After ten minutes, Scorpius appeared out of the second carriage. However, he did not leave the carriage with Jimber Dokes or any of the Weasleys or Potters. He stepped out the door with a group of six other students. All of them were older than his son, four of them were girls and he was talking freely with them. He peered closer at the members of the gathering and noticed one girl had a red flower stuck in her hair, with a small white heart design in the larger, heart-shaped bud.

From the third carriage, Kaitlin Jones, Rose Weasley, Jimber and the Potter boys all exited together. While the rest of her group wandered toward the adults, Rose walked over to join Scorpius and his other friends. The ease with which the others accepted Rose, showed that she was part of their clique of students also. After some parents of the others in the group called, the other members waved goodbye. The last one to leave, the girl with the flower in her hair actually hugged Scorpius in front of Rose. As the final member walked away from him, Rose, giggling at the red faced Scorpius, accompanied him over to the parents.

They passed Draco, who was trying to fill the void caused by the absence of the other fathers, by magically pulling three trolleys to the where the Porter was pulling out the luggage. Draco levitated the bags to the proper trolley. When the first trunk for Kaitlin Jones was pulled out, he looked at his trolleys to figure out which one had room where he could place it. However, the trunk floated past him and landed on a trolley piloted by the girl’s Aunt Gwenog.

Draco, who had never spoken to the retired Quidditch hero, smiled over at her. Jones ignored him as she adjusted her niece’s second trunk onto the cart. –So, Ms. Jones, are you going to be the Captain of the U15 team?”

Jones, still concentrating on the luggage coming out of the train, shook her head in the negative. –No, Bobby Devon, the former Captain of the Wasps and the United Kingdom team, will be the leader. However, Ginny Weasley Potter will be his assistant.”

–Really, won’t that be a conflict of interest? She could have two sons on the team!”

–Knowing Red like I do, she’ll be twice as hard on her boys as she will be on anyone else’s children,” replied Gwenog, still focused on the porter. –Will your son be trying out? I heard he didn’t play at all this year.”

–My son will be ready, if he still wants to play. And I think as long as Miss Weasley is there, he will want to play.”

Gwenog and Draco began to pilot their four trolleys back toward the returned students. Jones came to an abrupt stop about five yards away from their group. Draco followed her gaze toward the man standing next to an uneasy Ginny Potter. The man was someone that he didn’t recognize.

The stranger turned from Ginny, wearing a smile that disappeared when he saw who approached them with the noisy carts. –Gwenog,” said the man. Draco heard from him the same tone that his father used whenever he discussed Astoria.

–Ioan, I see you came to pick up Rhys,” she replied in a flat voice.

–Well, we couldn’t have the Hogwarts’ Champion Seeker walk all the way back to Llanilltud Fawr could we? Besides, Mother is throwing a party for him. She has invited the whole family to her place to celebrate.” The way he emphasized the phrase ‘whole family’ was strange. Draco could feel a wall of ice forming between the two speakers.

As the two people just silently glared at each other, Giselle walked over to the stranger. –Hello, I’m Giselle LeClaire.” She extended her hand toward him. The man looked down at the proffered hand, but did not take it. He turned and began to walk away.

Giselle did not let him escape. She quickly took a hop to the side and stepped in front of his cart. –You can ignore me. How can you ignore your sister? She’s is your only sister!”

He looked up at the tall woman and with distain. –I have no sister!” he said. Then, Ioan moved around the obstacle and pushed the trolley toward a distant waiting boy and woman. When he joined them they walked toward the pillar.

–Giselle, let him go. I’ve got Owain. One brother out of three isn’t bad. And you know that I’ve become immune to Mother’s barbs by now,” said Gwenog, a weary sadness in her voice.

–Liar,” Giselle said, as she walked over to take Gwenog in her arms and kiss her forehead.

Ginny looked over at her old mentor and Giselle. –Ioan always was a world class git.”

Gwenog and Giselle both gave her a smile in appreciation. All of the Jones family drama was lost on the children, who were saying goodbye to friends and getting their first verbal shots in on their younger siblings.

Suddenly, coming out of the last jet of the steam from the train engine walked two tall adults and a young woman. Jimber, who had just tossed a Quaffle over a jumping Hugo Weasley’s arms to Albus, looked over at the noise of the steam eruption, did a double take and shouted at the top of his voice, –Mum! Dad!” He ran up the platform to greet his family.

Rebekka, dressed in a flowing, flowery kanga, reached out to hug and kiss her son on the cheek. After his wife was done, Isaac looked at Jimber from head to toe. Then he wrapped his long arms around the boy and said, –You’ve got fat. We will have to work that off you when we get you home.”

Jimber’s smile froze. In the excitement of the reunion with his family, he had forgotten about the fact that, with their arrival he would be leaving England to return to his Caribbean homeland. He would never see Hogwarts again.

Jimber turned to see Scorpius, who was wearing a melting grin on his face, as the news sunk in. Scorpius walked over to Jimber and gave his friend a bear hug worthy of Isaac. They just held on for a long minute.

Avoiding the two boys, Draco walked over and shook Isaac’s big hand and slapped his friend’s broad shoulder with his free hand. Rebekka and Astoria clasped hands and air-kissed, as usual.

While Albus focused on Scorp and Jimber, he knew that he too would miss his friend. He felt a tap on his right shoulder. He turned to see a dark brown-skinned girl wearing a multi-colour dress like Jimber’s mother. The girl was almost his height. She turned her head to the side like some sort of bird. She had a disappointed look on her face.

He did not recognize Bethany Dokes until she spoke to him. –How are you, my future husband?”

He gulped. Somehow in the year since she’d left Britain to return to the Island, she had grown at least five inches and lost about twenty-five pounds of baby fat. And the green, yellow, and brown wrap she wore showed that she was no longer a little girl. –Uhh! I mean, I’m fine, Bethany. When did you get in?”

–We arrived about an hour ago. We must have just missed the Malfoys at their house,” Bethany said, as she moved her hands behind her back and slightly twisted her body back and forth, as if in time to some unheard music. Albus was dumbfounded by her very presence.

Lily Potter ran over and hugged her desperately missed friend. The two talked for a couple of minutes about letters and boys.

As the reunited Dokes and the Malfoys gathered their boys’ belongings so they could begin to leave. Bethany ran back to the Potters and Weasleys to practically jump on Albus, wrapping her arms around the neck to give him a big kiss on the lips. She and Lily ran giggling back to the Malfoys and the Dokes, while James began to tease his little brother.

–Albi’s got a girl friend! Albi’s got a girl friend.”

Rose bumped her elbow into Kaitlin and whispered something. Kaitlin made a face like she had bitten into a tart fruit or pickle. –Not if my life depended on it,” shouted Kaitlin into Rose’s face. Rose just focused on James and kept wearing a knowing smile.

When the families got to the pillar, Auror Broomwright stopped them. She walked through, got an all clear from her partner, and returned to tell them it was safe to leave.

Draco wondered what his father had planned for everyone. He was certain that his father had planned for himself and Astoria would not be pleasant. He could only hope the old man would miscalculate or that the Aurors would get lucky. Draco doubted both. He had not had two back-to-back night’s of good sleep since his father’s little coup d’état. The nightmares that awoke him were filled with his father hurting Astoria.

A couple of days after the dreams had begun, Draco had arranged for Hermione to add an array of protective charms and spells to their house. He knew that the Trio had once spent months on the run undetected by the Death Eaters, who had all of the resources of the Ministry at their command. He also knew that the author of such precise, skillfully crafted magic had to been Hermione. She was the one Weasley he trusted with a wand. He had made it a point for Hermione to teach Astoria, not him, all of the new spells. The reason was so that she could always be safe, just in case Lucius did something to him. He also knew she would teach Scorpius all of the spells as soon as he returned from school.

As they walked up the platform and in the Muggle world, Draco shivered. Anyone he saw could be an agent of his father. He doubted the old snake would attack here. It would show his hand too soon. However, he would speak to Potter about using the Floo Network or Portkeys at the beginning of the next school year, and not risk being such easy targets on the platform.

He spied an advertisement, on the side of a kiosk, for a life insurance firm talking about buying security. Draco knew that with his father in charge of Fletcher’s old criminal organization. Security was an illusion that the unprepared tried to hide behind. He would not let his family be unprepared.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=91599